AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5049 Post(s)
Liked: 3574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
^

Its funny becuase I own both techs, yet you speak as if you have sooo much experience with oled...lets see how this pans out in the shootout...again, but hey the Z9F might get the nice distinction of loosing two years in a row
Oh c'mon now, I have plenty of experience. My in-laws own 2 OLEDs that I play around with plenty. You speak as if you have so much experience with the Z9F!

The shootout crowd was surprised how well the Z9F did. It won multiple sections in each category which is more than any other LCD as far as I know and surprising in an OLED loving crowd.

Here is a reminder of the total scores:

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
lucacow and Cam1977 like this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+

Last edited by shoman94; 06-02-2019 at 04:33 AM.
post #393 of 661 Old 06-02-2019, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 6411 Post(s)
Liked: 6405
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
I agree that the 8K function is a lil bit irrelevant here. I would buy the set for the HDR performance alone cause with right content and the size 4K would still look pretty sick! I wonder if you can turn the upscaling off if certain content does not benefit from it I never botherd to check if my A9f can be turned down? Anyway it’s first generation like when 4K tv came out the first year didn’t it take 3-4 years to get any 4K content?
4K is not fully out yet, I wonder how fast providers will be shelling out 8K or how important it will be?

-- Hopefully these are priced well as Sony does not really have a high end but not 8K TV like the 90R from Samsung that has just been released unless the Z9F is staying around for a year of so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 661 Old 06-02-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Oh c'mon now, I have plenty of experience. My in-laws own 2 OLEDs that I play around with plenty. You speak as if you have so much experience with the Z9F!

The shootout crowd was surprised how well the Z9F did. It won multiple sections in each category which is more than any other LCD as far as I know and surprising in an OLED loving crowd.

Here is a reminder of the total scores:

No worries @shoman94 , the bottom line is that most people just don’t know much about the Z9F. Sadly, I used to talk quite negatively about the Z9F as well, that is, until I saw the 75” version in action in my living room. I will take the high brightness of the Z9F over my C8 for HDR almost every time. You just can’t beat the extra impact that you get with 1500-2000 nits. My C8 would likely be my pick to watch an all dark horror flick though.

Thinking about this brings me back to the Z9G and how incredible it must look with 4000 nit mastered content. Too bad about that awful anti-reflection filter though, it really kills what should otherwise make for an amazing HDR experience.

Food for thought...Vincent has spent time with both the mammoth 100” Z9D that puts out close to 3000 nits and now the 85” Z9G that puts out close to 4000 nits and he says the Z9G produces the most impactful HDR images he’s seen on a consumer level set.
shoman94 likes this.

Samsung 82” Q90R * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #395 of 661 Old 06-02-2019, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
They won’t even list how many Zones. I’ll bet it’s not as many as Vizios 480 Zones.

Vizio Owns the Mid Tier LED TV Market in 2019

Samsung and Sony have decided to guy Ultra High end 8K

And LG has launched its best 4K OLEDs with HDMI 2.1

One reviewer on YouTube has posted this: "Sony ZG9/ Z9G Master Series 8K HDR TV Review: 720 Zones, 4000 Nits"
Better have a big budget as here in UK prices are: 85-inch Sony KD-85ZG9 (RRP £13,999) or the 98-inch KD-98ZG9 (£84,999).

Sony 55XE9305, Oppo UDP-203(MZ), Musical Fidelity M3i, Denon AVR-X3300W, 5.1.2 Dali Oberon 5, Oberon Vokal, Oberon 1, Alteco C-1, BK P12-300SB-PR,
Apple TV 4K, Sky Q (UHD/Atmos), Sky Fiber Max (80/20).
post #396 of 661 Old 06-02-2019, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Archer's Review- Leagues Better than Z9F black levels and haloing:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#173111046f5f

Seems to be more worthy of a z9d sequel. The z9f was more like the x930e(even though the x930's contrast and black bars are far superior), but this appears to be a closer to a z9d sequel. It appears that until Sony can end up with a more cost- effective CLEDIS or Micro LED, Oled will be necessary for home theaters. However, if you have the money and don't mind the downgrade in contrast to the z9d and you want the best of both worlds of HDR brightness and home theater black levels, than the Z9G seems to be your best bet. Moreover, it is now difficult to find 65 z9ds.
Cam1977 likes this.

Last edited by MLM87; 06-02-2019 at 10:29 AM.
post #397 of 661 Old 06-02-2019, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
^so the Z9F can do 4000?
Yes.

Sony 55W905A, Dahquist DQ10 (x4), BW sub, McIntosh MC-2150/2200, OPPO BDP-105D
post #398 of 661 Old 06-02-2019, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
This post reads like a PR press release.

You seem pretty sure about 8K in general and the Z9G's performance in particular.

You mentioned the viewing experience will be like watching through a window. Sounds to me like you're the type of person looking for content that looks like those instore demos they're running on TV sets. Personally I just want TVs that are able to display an accurate presentation of motion pictures accordingly to how it should look. Something which most past and current 4K TVs seem to be doing a pretty good job at. You mentioned 4K just being a transition. I actually think it is the end point when it comes to movies on physical media, which btw is all I care about. With so many 2K DI movies and 4K DI ones still being in the minority, what actual benefit would 8K have for motion picture movie watching? Sure perhaps they could do complete new scans and remasters for old(er) analogue movies in order to benefit from the higher resolution, but I doubt that would happen. And an actual 8K DI for modern movies is not something that I think will ever happen either. And physical 8K UHD media is something that I think most definitely will never happen. I think the only thing 8K will possibly be any good for, is if they somehow would bring 3D back in one form or another.

It seems to me you think 8K is an absolute necessity for larger screens. I honestly doubt that. If Sony give it their best, I bet 4K would be enough for an 85" screen to display a correct picture and still maintaining the same characteristics of its smaller counterparts. As for upscaling 4K to 8K, I think we're getting to the point of diminishing returns here...

And as for the Z9G, I'm sure it will be an amazing set. But with everything I have heard and read so far, its price tag will not justify its performance I think. At least not for me. The 75Z9D does an excellent job under pitch-dark room conditions. There is no reason why the Z9G would potentially underperform in that regard when compared to the 75Z9D. I expect the G to outperform the D.

Being a long life Sony fan, I think I know Sony quality. And I am 100% sure I wouldn't want the Z9G to be the last TV I will ever own. Especially not just because it happens to be 8K. IMHO the "true" future lies in new TV technologies like Mini and MicroLED, not higher resolutions. But I'll be happy to be proving wrong though and eat my words should the time come.

Btw this is NOT a personal attack on you, I am just sharing my 2 cents on the matter.
Of course I don't take personally being called a Sony shill.

If you think my explaining why people who dismiss 8K, because of lack of content, miss the point of 8K is a "PR press release," then can't argue with you there.

As for taking issues about looking through a window rather than at a screen, Sony expressly calls it "realness". If that's not what you want, then can't argue with you there, either.

With respect, you are wrong that 8K isn't necessary (I didn't say "absolute necessity" but won't quibble) for these screen sizes. If you want to say that it's not necessary, despite my explaining why, if you want a degraded image at these screen sizes from the same distance, then I can't argue with you there, either.

As for black performance in a pitch-dark room, there will be an inevitable trade-off in HDR with 4000 nits. If it's not worth it to you to get 4000 nits HDR because you won't get inky blacks (at the cost of shadow detail) and may get some blooming in a pitch-black room, then can't argue with you there, either.

And if you don't think the performance/specs of this 85" Sony 8K HDR doesn't justify its $13,000 launch price tag compared to the performance of Sony's 77" 4K A1E OLED with a launch price tag of $20,000, then I won't argue with you there.

Since you think I'm a Sony shill, then read John Archer or watch
. . . unless you think they're Sony shills, too.

Sony 55W905A, Dahquist DQ10 (x4), BW sub, McIntosh MC-2150/2200, OPPO BDP-105D
post #399 of 661 Old 06-02-2019, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Lol so your in laws own an oled and now you havr the same "experience" as would an owner🤣 Coming in 3rd place is the new 1st place...wow. I mean that was clever of you showing the Z coming in 3rd place, just proving my point, I mean it got beat in the HDR category by both Oleds, I know a lot of LCD guys say high nit HDR looks better in LCD, but yet the experts disagree. Again we will see this year...
Problem with most experts are that they are movie buffs, not enough of them play games that can easily output the full 10.000 nit range properly, often they are happy to look at movies mastered at 1000 nit peak. So OLED with tonemapped HDR will look good in those situations, also all movies are color graded and contrast is tweaked to look good on regular SDR screens naturally, so you won't find much content that truly show off how impressive 4000 nit or more would look when they make their judgement, like a great game would.

As an avid fighting gamer that want a huge screen to game on with the best image quality available, it's so sad to see the bigger reviewers putting so little time and effort into investigating the TVs short comings when used for games. All Samsung TVs suffer form image duplication due to PWM 120hz flicker in game mode and often have poorer blacks due to a lower quality local dimming approach in game mode, and playing the same fighting game on OLEDs with a super saturated life bar at the top of the screen for hundreds or thousands of hours should reliably result in burn in like the CNN logo did on Rtings burn in tests. And Sony while touting great image and motion quality has a really poor track record of providing low input lag, sigh!.

Sony ZF9 75" (Owned: Sony KDL-W55905A, Samsung Q9FN 65" & Q900 75")

Last edited by JoelArt; 06-02-2019 at 03:02 PM.
post #400 of 661 Old 06-02-2019, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Sure, ok... by your logic that makes you an owner correct? Negative, being in your in laws doesnt automatically make you an owner, having the product in your house does, if your profession is calibrating sets then I stand corrected, I can just as easliy learn how to DIY but I have other hobbies. In reference to the scores you brought up...the Z9F did best another LCD, it still didnt win the categories that counts...why is that so hard to understand??? The fact of the matter is the G series looks to be the true successor to the Z9D.
If you think this is bad, you haven't seen anything yet. This is just a small preview of what you see in the z9f thread. It's better to ignore him.
Cam1977 likes this.
post #401 of 661 Old 06-02-2019, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^lol I thought I was having a friendly back and forth with shoman94 yesterday, but the sensativity in regards to the F is fierce...
It was friendly I'm good.

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #402 of 661 Old 06-02-2019, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^Im fully aware of what my responses were to showman94, im pretty sure he can stick up for himself. Back peddling, where was I really bashing the F, because I said it lost the shootout...please give me a break. Its funny that your getting on me and other owners but god forbid anyone says anything negative about the F, which btw you dont own anymore Speaking of the Shootout, being edged out in a competition is not the same as coming in first, or are we rewriting how competitions are run. As far as my opinions, they are shared by many so nothing new to see here. The G will be the true successor to the D, do you think Sony was gonna admit they messed up a bit with the F, cmon now. That set simply didnt meet the expectations of many IMO.
Sorry...was not my intention to jump on you and get involved, but I just can’t sit back and watch someone making such bold claims without first hand experience to back it up. Observing you jumping on him for his comments because he is not an owner, while you yourself were doing the exact same thing was rather hypocritical. I have no filter and call it like I see it. Lol

Call me ‘old school’, but I tend to trust my own eyes over the eyes of others when making TV purchases. Maybe that’s why I went through so many in home trials before settling on my final set. Lol

I don’t see Sony conceding any mess ups on the Z9F. Did they remove X-wide angle from the Z9G?
shoman94 and Cam1977 like this.

post #403 of 661 Old 06-02-2019, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sure, ok... by your logic that makes you an owner correct? Negative, being in your in laws doesnt automatically make you an owner, having the product in your house does, if your profession is calibrating sets then I stand corrected, I can just as easliy learn how to DIY but I have other hobbies. In reference to the scores you brought up...the Z9F did best another LCD, it still didnt win the categories that counts...why is that so hard to understand??? The fact of the matter is the G series looks to be the true successor to the Z9D.
No it makes me closer than any non owner. I never said I was an owner. Calibrating is a hobby for me. Do you think professional calibrators don't start out as a hobby? I pointed out that in one or two sections in each of the 3 categories and came close in most of the remaining. It closed the gap up between the two techs which a step in the right direction and I think Sony knows this. The G closes the gap even more.
I don't know what I'm not understanding with the scores. I think I spoke English.

Cam1977 likes this.

Last edited by shoman94; 06-02-2019 at 04:36 PM.
post #404 of 661 Old 06-02-2019, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
Sorry...was not my intention to jump on you and get involved, but I just can’t sit back and watch someone making such bold claims without first hand experience to back it up. Observing you jumping on him for his comments because he is not an owner, while you yourself were doing the exact same thing was rather hypocritical. I have no filter and call it like I see it. Lol

Call me ‘old school’, but I tend to trust my own eyes over the eyes of others when making TV purchases. Maybe that’s why I went through so many in home trials before settling on my final set. Lol

I don’t see Sony conceding any mess ups on the Z9F. Did they remove X-wide angle from the Z9G?
All good and I enjoy the company... Thanks!

No they didn't remove the filter. They simply added more zone density and then renamed the backlight back to BMD. Between that and almost double the nits of the F give it a large boost in perceived contrast. The native contrast on the G is exactly the same as the F.

BRAC likes this.

post #405 of 661 Old 06-02-2019, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^its all good shoman94...I think we have both made our points. As far as Sony goes, neither of us know what their real plans are, but it seems imo most of there focus is on their oled line for videophiles.
I agree they are leaning more on OLED the last couple years. I hope they realized they made a mistake and start make advancements towards micro LED.

Ted99 and Cam1977 like this.

post #406 of 661 Old 06-02-2019, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All good and I enjoy the company... Thanks!

No they didn't remove the filter. They simply added more zone density and then renamed the backlight back to BMD. Between that and almost double the nits of the F give it a large boost in perceived contrast. The native contrast on the G is exactly the same as the F.

I wonder why they changed the BMD though?? The Z9D implementation had individual control of every single led, but the Z9G is broken down into zones now. Why would they release a half baked version? Strange.

post #407 of 661 Old 06-02-2019, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
he also doesn't own a 65Z9F,which has terrible black levels in hdr content. the 75 is definitely better.

The pictures and videos from the shootout last year spoke louder Than the scoring by showing all the 65 Z9F bleed issues.

I agree with this. I tested both 65 and 75 Z9f at a magnolia design center. I tweaked the settings and set them both to their most accurate modes. The 65 looked like a bad edge lit with hideous large halos glowing into the bars. The 75 bars looked decent. Playing the same letterbox bar movie side by side.
post #408 of 661 Old 06-02-2019, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I wonder why they changed the BMD though?? The Z9D implementation had individual control of every single led, but the Z9G is broken down into zones now. Why would they release a half baked version? Strange.

I had a z9d and the LEDs burnt out according to the technician who diagnosed my issue that i had with faint horizontal lines running through the screen. Maybe that individual led control leads to issues in the long run. Just a guess.
post #409 of 661 Old 06-02-2019, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
I had a z9d and the LEDs burnt out according to the technician who diagnosed my issue that i had with faint horizontal lines running through the screen. Maybe that individual led control leads to issues in the long run. Just a guess.
Interesting, anyone else have the same problem that you know of?

post #410 of 661 Old 06-02-2019, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
I agree with this. I tested both 65 and 75 Z9f at a magnolia design center. I tweaked the settings and set them both to their most accurate modes. The 65 looked like a bad edge lit with hideous large halos glowing into the bars. The 75 bars looked decent. Playing the same letterbox bar movie side by side.
This is true.
65"Z9F is 18² inches per zone
75"Z9F is 8.7² inches per zone
85"Z9G is 4.7² inches per zone

Last edited by shoman94; 06-04-2019 at 02:52 PM.
post #411 of 661 Old 06-02-2019, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was thinking about this a little...... I wonder if this backlight is made up of mini LEDs and they can't control them individually yet?

post #412 of 661 Old 06-02-2019, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting, anyone else have the same problem that you know of?

If it was widespread we would have definitely heard about it. The faint lines is something that the tech has seen on several other z9d sets though. I know that the vast majority of z9d owners don’t have critical defects like mine did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
shoman94 and Cam1977 like this.
post #413 of 661 Old 06-03-2019, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
According to Sony, the Z9F was the successor of the Z9D, and that is FACT.
Talk is cheap, perhaps Sony is claiming that since it came out when the Z9D was being phased out it succeeded the Z9D. Objectively the Z9F is better in some ways, worse in others, but cost cutting on zone count kept it from being what I'd define as a true successor to the Z9D.

YMMV
post #414 of 661 Old 06-03-2019, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 218
I think the most enjoyable part of all of this is the people bickering over a television that nearly none actually doing the bickering will actually buy anyway. Perhaps when prices fall in two years, but by then there will be something else worth waiting for the price to drop.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #415 of 661 Old 06-03-2019, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 303
I clicked on the Z9G thread and thought I was back in the "Switch from OLED to LCD" thread.
CaptinCrunch likes this.
post #416 of 661 Old 06-03-2019, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post
Talk is cheap, perhaps Sony is claiming that since it came out when the Z9D was being phased out it succeeded the Z9D. Objectively the Z9F is better in some ways, worse in others, but cost cutting on zone count kept it from being what I'd define as a true successor to the Z9D.

YMMV
It’s really irrelevant what anyone thinks of the Z9F. Does not change the fact that it officially replaced the Z9D in Sony’s lineup.
CaptinCrunch likes this.

post #417 of 661 Old 06-03-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 6411 Post(s)
Liked: 6405
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post

YMMV
Yes, that is a drag
post #418 of 661 Old 06-03-2019, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 90
It's just not possible that Sony decides to change their strategy with respect to the market as they develop and release a new, replacement model.

Oh wait... Time moves on, and Sony has altered it's "road map" of offerings, if you will.

The Z9D was offered in 65/75/100.
The Z9F was offered in 65/75.
The Z9G is offered in... 85 and 98.

Well obviously the Z9G isn't a "true replacement" for the Z9D, either! It doesn't even come in the same sizes. Good luck "replacing" your 65Z9D with an 85Z9G if your space doesn't allow it.

This thread. Sometimes I have to make sure I'm still at AVS and not on facebook.

Don't mind me... Just over here enjoying my POS 65Z9F. Ugh, it's so bad, I probably should have purchased something else. Hmm, what was available at the time? Z9D? Nope. Q9? According to the shootout, nope. X900F or X950G? ...nope. LG? lol

Oh well, I guess I'll live with it. At least the brightness, lag time, UI speed, and upscaling/PQ are livable.

At least it'll be easy to choose which TV to buy next time I'm shopping. I imagine that the model numbers will simply be combos of their native contrast ratio and zone count. What else matters, anyway?

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS

Last edited by p3trol_h3ad; 06-05-2019 at 11:10 AM.
post #419 of 661 Old 06-03-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
It's just not possible that Sony decides to change their strategy with respect to the market as they develop and release a new, replacement model.

Oh wait... Time moves on, and Sony has altered it's "road map" of offerings, if you will.

The Z9F was offered in 65/75/85.

Well obviously the Z9G isn't a "true replacement" for the Z9D, either! It doesn't even come in the same sizes. Good luck "replacing" your 65Z9D with an 85Z9G if your space doesn't allow it.

This thread. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG] Sometimes I have to make sure I'm still at AVS and not on facebook.

Don't mind me... Just over here enjoying my POS 65Z9F. Ugh, it's so bad, I probably should have purchased something else. Hmm, what was available at the time? Z9D? Nope. Q9? According to the shootout, nope. X900F or X950G? ...nope. LG? lol

Oh well, I guess I'll live with it. At least the brightness, lag time, UI speed, and upscaling/PQ are livable.

At least it'll be easy to choose which TV to buy next time I'm shopping. I imagine that the model numbers will simply be combos of their native contrast ratio and zone count. What else matters, anyway?
Well that pretty much sums things up lol 😂

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos sound bar
post #420 of 661 Old 06-03-2019, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post

The Z9F was offered in 65/75/85.

This thread. Sometimes I have to make sure I'm still at AVS and not on facebook.

Just so you know the Z9F was only in 65 and 75".

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page