post #541 of 815 Old 06-19-2019, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post
Just arrived, will move to movie room later.
Beyond jealous!

I remember when I received my 75" Z9D from BB when they broke street date and being filled with anxiety and excitement because only the 65" had shipped and was in consumer hands. There was literally no info out there from an owner of that particular model and now I must know what you think! We all must hear everything!

Congrats, sir!
G-Rex, JimShaw, LG4k and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 815 Old 06-19-2019, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Congrats!

Look at those reflections though. That set reflects far too much to have a price tag like that. Sony really needs to up their game and design a better anti-reflective filter.
Ted99 likes this.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #543 of 815 Old 06-19-2019, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
Look at those reflections though. That set reflects far too much to have a price tag like that.
Personally, I don't think that picture is indicative of how bad the unit is with reflections. My Pioneer Elite plasma is just as bad or possibly even worse than that when the screen is black or off. Once watching content though, I can't see any reflections. That's in my room though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 815 Old 06-19-2019, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Congrats!

Look at those reflections though. That set reflects far too much to have a price tag like that. Sony really needs to up their game and design a better anti-reflective filter.
Maybe hang in there before taking any judgement.

It looks like they just got the TV, it is on a reflective floor, in a room with numerous windows which is not the final room or location of installation, they just unboxed it to make sure there are no glaring defects, and looks like it was taken with a cell phone camera.

Between the impromptu photo placement, camera, exposure, etc. it is far too early to judge a display off of one photo.
Gillietalls likes this.
post #545 of 815 Old 06-20-2019, 02:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Congrats!

Any glossy glass will reflect that way including the OLEDs. The only difference would be the light refraction from the x-wide filter. Put a C9 or A9G in it's place and it would be very similar.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #546 of 815 Old 06-20-2019, 04:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

z9g

Wow...a lot of push back here for a $13,000 tv!

Just stating what I’ve seen in countless pictures and reviews. It looks to be pretty much the same filter that was on the Z9F, which I returned in large part because of poor reflection handling. The x-wide angle layer isn’t exactly doing it any favors when it comes to reflection handling, so you can’t really make the comparison to sets with similar filters and no additional wide angle tech.

Frankly, if Sony insists on using this type of wide angle enhancement, they will need to develop a better anti-reflective filter. Simple as that.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro

Last edited by BRAC; 06-20-2019 at 06:24 AM.
post #547 of 815 Old 06-20-2019, 05:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

Just stating what I’ve seen in countless pictures and reviews. It looks to be pretty much the same filter that was on the Z9F, which I returned in large part because of poor reflection handling. The x-wide angle layer isn’t ecactly doing it any favors when it comes to reflection handling, so you can’t really make the comparison to sets with similar filters and no additional wide angle tech.

Frankly, if Sony insists on using this type of wide angle enhancement, they will need to develop a better anti-reflective filter. Simple as that.
I love the uniform image the wide viewing angle provides. To me you simply have to light control the environment with this technology until they figure out how to improve upon this, if it's even possible. But it would be really cool if they could use that anti reflection tech Samsung uses.

Sony ZF9 75" (Owned: Sony KDL-W55905A, Samsung Q9FN 65" & Q900 75")
post #548 of 815 Old 06-20-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArt View Post
I love the uniform image the wide viewing angle provides. To me you simply have to light control the environment with this technology until they figure out how to improve upon this, if it's even possible. But it would be really cool if they could use that anti reflection tech Samsung uses.
That filter has its own side effects.... I've noticed it gives a brown tint at times.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #549 of 815 Old 06-20-2019, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Just stating what I’ve seen in countless pictures and reviews. It looks to be pretty much the same filter that was on the Z9F, which I returned in large part because of poor reflection handling. The x-wide angle layer isn’t exactly doing it any favors when it comes to reflection handling, so you can’t really make the comparison to sets with similar filters and no additional wide angle tech.

It's not push back from me.... I agree that better filtering would be nice. The wide angle layer does add its own issue and using a glossy front glass is probably not the right thing. Semi gloss like used on the z9d for example may be better.

post #550 of 815 Old 06-20-2019, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArt View Post
I agree. I’m a huge fan of the wide angle layer for VA LCD panels. Actually, it’s a must for VA panels imo.

That being said, Sony would be wise to take a page out of Samsung’s book in this instance. A top quality anti-reflective filter is a must have for sets with X-wide.

post #551 of 815 Old 06-20-2019, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
That filter has its own side effects.... I've noticed it gives a brown tint at times.

It does have that slight brownish tint, but only when the set is off. Real content does not show any brown tint.

Kind of reminds me of the LG OLED’s with their purple tinted filters.

post #552 of 815 Old 06-20-2019, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked: 6685
Quote:
WOW, someone has to be first !! Pictures? A zone count?

Quote:
That will probably stop now that we have owners
post #553 of 815 Old 06-21-2019, 04:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 93
4K 65" Z9G at IFA ??

pleeeeease
post #554 of 815 Old 06-21-2019, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Hi All. Congrats to those who have purchased the Z9G. I am also seriously considering the Z9G and still waiting for more clarity regarding its performance and capabilities. I am excited about this set and what I have heard about the picture quality and brightness and will be closely following this thread for more information over the coming weeks.

For starters, I have a question regarding its HDMI 2.1 port. From what I have heard only one of its ports is HDMI 2.1 and that too 40 Gb instead of the full 48 Gb. Is this correct and what does the 40 gb limitation mean? If an 8k tv cannot accept a full 8k signal from an external source (even if none exist today but in 2-3 years sources would start appearing), it’s a huge limitation in my view and will be a dealbreaker for me as I plan to keep such an expensive set for at least 5-8 years. Relying only on 8k upscaling to me seems nonsensical.

Also, I find it hard to understand why Sony would only provide 1 HDMI 2.1 port in a $13k tv. I wish Sony would just upgrade to all 4 full HDMI 2.1 ports during this model year which would make a purchase decision of this set that much more likely otherwise I see Sony losing many sales of this flagship model this year.

Another criterion for me is future HDR 10+ support along with the current Dolby vision support. Again, why would a $13k set not support all major HDR formats? Are we supposed to not see dynamic HDR in videos such as from Amazon prime which will increasingly be in HDR 10+? I wish Sony would listen to customer needs and add it in the next iteration of this model (or firmware update this model but I’m dreaming!) as it will only lose sales if it doesn’t.

If Sony listens and adds these important features it has a winner and an immediate order from me!

Home Theater:LG 65 OLED G6, Marantz SR7009, 1 x Def Tech Mythos STL, 2 x Def Tech Mythos Ten, 2 x Def Tech SR 9080 Bipolar, 4 x Def Tech Mythos Gem XL, 2 x SVS SB16 ultras, Oppo 205, 2 x Klipsch RP-140 Atmos, Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 amp
Stereo:2 x B&W 803D3, McIntosh C2600 preamp, McIntosh MC452 amp, McIntosh MT-5 turntable, McIntosh MR88 tuner, Auralic ARIES G1, Oppo 105, BlueSound Node2
post #555 of 815 Old 06-21-2019, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy0004 View Post

Another criterion for me is future HDR 10+ support along with the current Dolby vision support. Again, why would a $13k set not support all major HDR formats? Are we supposed to not see dynamic HDR in videos such as from Amazon prime which will increasingly be in HDR 10+? I wish Sony would listen to customer needs and add it in the next iteration of this model (or firmware update this model but I’m dreaming!) as it will only lose sales if it doesn’t.

According to that link:
"According to Sony's documentations, HDR10+ content will be "playable" following a software update, in addition to out-of-the-box HDR10, HLG and Dolby Vision support."
Troy0004 likes this.
post #556 of 815 Old 06-21-2019, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDisplay View Post
4K 65" Z9G at IFA ??

pleeeeease
Sorry. It won't happen. If it does, I'll eat my words. Sony has said that they plan to have one MASTER series per size. The A9G takes the smaller sizes. An overlap would be cool, but that would still mean 75", not 65". I'd love a Z9G, but I have to be real with myself... even if there was a 75" model, I still couldn't afford it... it would probably be $9999. So why would Sony make it? Just get the 85". 65" - That's what the X950G is for. Besides, 65" is small now. I feel that 65" is now the standard TV size and "big screen TV" is reserved for 75" and up. The Z9G is Sony's flagship model, they're going to only offer it in big sizes with big price tags. The Z9G is meant to be the home's star TV, in a location where size doesn't constrain the user to a 65" model. Most people with $10,000+ for a TV have a space that can fit 75"+ if not bigger.

.. just my two cents

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
post #557 of 815 Old 06-21-2019, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Hi All. Congrats to those who have purchased the Z9G. I am also seriously considering the Z9G and still waiting for more clarity regarding its performance and capabilities. I am excited about this set and what I have heard about the picture quality and brightness and will be closely following this thread for more information over the coming weeks.

For starters, I have a question regarding its HDMI 2.1 port. From what I have heard only one of its ports is HDMI 2.1 and that too 40 Gb instead of the full 48 Gb. Is this correct and what does the 40 gb limitation mean? If an 8k tv cannot accept a full 8k signal from an external source (even if none exist today but in 2-3 years sources would start appearing), it’s a huge limitation in my view and will be a dealbreaker for me as I plan to keep such an expensive set for at least 5-8 years. Relying only on 8k upscaling to me seems nonsensical.

Also, I find it hard to understand why Sony would only provide 1 HDMI 2.1 port in a $13k tv. I wish Sony would just upgrade to all 4 full HDMI 2.1 ports during this model year which would make a purchase decision of this set that much more likely otherwise I see Sony losing many sales of this flagship model this year.

If Sony listens and adds these important features it has a winner and an immediate order from me!
If you are smart enough to be here asking these questions, then you are smart enough to realize you should wait on buying an 8K TV unless it's just for bragging rights. That said, if money is practically no object, just get the Z9G now and then upgrade again when a better version appears. It's still arguably the best TV available, even if it doesn't have a full 48Gbps port.

HDR 10+ is a format war. Only time will tell which version of HDR matters.

Regarding the HDMI ports and bandwidth, that probably has something to do with forces that Sony cannot control. i.e. chipset manufacturers. Just because we can create a screen with 8K pixels doesn't mean that we yet have powerful enough infrastructure to fully utilize those pixels.

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS

Last edited by p3trol_h3ad; 06-21-2019 at 08:27 AM.
post #558 of 815 Old 06-21-2019, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 37
My question to sony is what about the people who brought a 65 or 75 inch z9d, those people cant afford to spend 13 grand on a tv so when they are ready to upgrade i guess they should to samsung.
post #559 of 815 Old 06-21-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picturequality View Post
My question to sony is what about the people who brought a 65 or 75 inch z9d, those people cant afford to spend 13 grand on a tv so when they are ready to upgrade i guess they should to samsung.
Do you have the data to back up that claim that people who bought the Z9D can't afford to upgrade to the Z9G?
post #560 of 815 Old 06-21-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
Do you have the data to back up that claim that people who bought the Z9D can't afford to upgrade to the Z9G?

Sometimes instead of data we can use our common sense lets look at the 65 inch. When it was first released it was selling for 6 grand the early adopters jumped in while others waited on a price drop, it eventually dropped to 2 grand, now do you really think that someone who pick it up for between 2 to 3 grand can afford 13 grand, man even the early adopters would struggle to do that.
post #561 of 815 Old 06-21-2019, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sometimes instead of data we can use our common sense lets look at the 65 inch. When it was first released it was selling for 6 grand the early adopters jumped in while others waited on a price drop, it eventually dropped to 2 grand, now do you really think that someone who pick it up for between 2 to 3 grand can afford 13 grand, man even the early adopters would struggle to do that.
Your assumptions are just that, assumptions. I can tell you with definite knowledge, that your assumptions are not correct. So yes, I do know for a fact that someone who owns a Z9D can definitely afford and have possibly even purchased an 85" Z9G.
post #562 of 815 Old 06-21-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Your assumptions are just that, assumptions. I can tell you with definite knowledge, that your assumptions are not correct. So yes, I do know for a fact that someone who owns a Z9D can definitely afford and have possibly even purchased an 85" Z9G.

Its more than that its using your brain to make a logical conclusion based on the factors in front of you not sure why you are struggling to see this. There are a few people who brought a budget Hyundai who could have afforded to buy a Mercedes Benz but its not a representation of the average Hyundai buyer because of the price difference.
post #563 of 815 Old 06-21-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Its more than that its using your brain to make a logical conclusion based on the factors in front of you not sure why you are struggling to see this. There are a few people who brought a budget Hyundai who could have afforded to buy a Mercedes Benz but its not a representation of the average Hyundai buyer because of the price difference.
Your car analogy is way off. There are plenty of millionaires driving inexpensive cars. What people buy is no indication of what they can and cannot afford. You claim people who bought a Z9D cannot afford to buy a Z9G there is no truth in that claim. Are there some people that fit that claim? Sure, but it's not true for everyone so you cannot simply make that blanket statement.
mutelight and kee68 like this.
post #564 of 815 Old 06-21-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Your car analogy is way off. There are plenty of millionaires driving inexpensive cars. What people buy is no indication of what they can and cannot afford. You claim people who bought a Z9D cannot afford to buy a Z9G there is no truth in that claim. Are there some people that fit that claim? Sure, but it's not true for everyone so you cannot simply make that blanket statement.

I dont know if you run a business but if you have customers who spend 4 grand and you start to market products to them for 10 grand you would not be in business for too long, the fact is Sony made a mistake but I understand why they did it.
They are jumping to 8k and its hard to justify 8k at 65 inch so they have no choice but to go big, what they should have done is make a 4k z9g at 65 and 75 then the 85 version goes to 8k, improve upon the z9d specs increase the peak brightness don't screw with the black levels, make all ports hdr, improve color accuracy and motion and it would have sold like hot cakes.
post #565 of 815 Old 06-21-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:

In 2005 Sony launched the Qualia 006, a monster 70"DLP TV at exactly 13K MSRP. Sold pretty well. There is a lot of people who will pay 13 Grand for a 8K 85"TV, rest assured .

I was so happy without HDR...
post #566 of 815 Old 06-21-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Does anybody know if the apps on the Z9G have been updated, like ATMOS on Netflix ?

I was so happy without HDR...
post #567 of 815 Old 06-21-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post
In 2005 Sony launched the Qualia 006, a monster 70"DLP TV at exactly 13K MSRP. Sold pretty well. There is a lot of people who will pay 13 Grand for a 8K 85"TV, rest assured .

I think you are missing the point yes there are some people out there willing to buy a tv for 13 grand its not as much as you think but that's another debate. The fact is Sony seem to have forgotten about their 65 and 75 inch customers, there is is no high end led tv for them to upgrade to so these customers will most likely have to switch over to Samsung if they dont want to spend over 10 grand for a tv, at this point the z9d still offers a better movie experience and better picture quality in gaming then the Samsung 9 series but its getting very close and with another year of improvements it will most likely beat the z9d and sony will lose all those customers since it has nothing to offer them.
post #568 of 815 Old 06-21-2019, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I dont know if you run a business but if you have customers who spend 4 grand and you start to market products to them for 10 grand you would not be in business for too long...
1. Sony is not marketing the Z9G to people with a $4K budget. They are not marketing it for any budget. They are marketing it in the 8K LCD category. Whether or not you or anyone else (that currently own a Z9D or not) can afford it is not their concern. They made an 8K LCD in 85" and 98" sizes and can set the price as they see fit.

Quote:
... the fact is Sony made a mistake...
2. You need to learn the difference between "fact" and your opinion. Fact: "It is 50 degrees Fahrenheit outside". Opinion: "It is cold outside." That Sony made a mistake is a matter of your opinion and not a fact at the present moment.

Quote:
They are jumping to 8k and its hard to justify 8k at 65 inch so they have no choice but to go big, what they should have done is make a 4k z9g at 65 and 75 then the 85 version goes to 8k, improve upon the z9d specs increase the peak brightness don't screw with the black levels, make all ports hdr, improve color accuracy and motion and it would have sold like hot cakes.
You really think adding all of that would be cheap? The price would be so absurd that no, they would not sell like hot cakes in my opinion. The people who want or even know all about those things are very small relative to the buying public. The majority of the market will buy the cheapest TV that looks good to them. We are in the vast minority.
post #569 of 815 Old 06-21-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
1. Sony is not marketing the Z9G to people with a $4K budget. They are not marketing it for any budget. They are marketing it in the 8K LCD category. Whether or not you or anyone else (that currently own a Z9D or not) can afford it is not their concern. They made an 8K LCD in 85" and 98" sizes and can set the price as they see fit.

2. You need to learn the difference between "fact" and your opinion. Fact: "It is 50 degrees Fahrenheit outside". Opinion: "It is cold outside." That Sony made a mistake is a matter of your opinion and not a fact at the present moment.

You really think adding all of that would be cheap? The price would be so absurd that no, they would not sell like hot cakes in my opinion. The people who want or even know all about those things are very small relative to the buying public. The majority of the market will buy the cheapest TV that looks good to them. We are in the vast minority.

If you had the 65 or 75 samsung q9fn you can upgrade to the q90r which is a little better and the price is around $3300 and $4300 not bad at all, samsung jumped to 8k but they didnt forget their flagship 4k customers. Sony jumped to 8k and stopped making 4k flapship 65 and 75 inch tvs for their customers there is nothing high end in the 3 to 5k range you would have to jump all the way to a whopping 13k or move to another manufacturer, I am just pointing out that this is a mistake on sonys part and they will lose some market share over the next few years because of it.
post #570 of 815 Old 06-21-2019, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 9
z9g

Quote:

Any thoughts on the HDMI 2.1 issues/limitations on the Z9G mentioned above?

Home Theater:LG 65 OLED G6, Marantz SR7009, 1 x Def Tech Mythos STL, 2 x Def Tech Mythos Ten, 2 x Def Tech SR 9080 Bipolar, 4 x Def Tech Mythos Gem XL, 2 x SVS SB16 ultras, Oppo 205, 2 x Klipsch RP-140 Atmos, Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 amp
Stereo:2 x B&W 803D3, McIntosh C2600 preamp, McIntosh MC452 amp, McIntosh MT-5 turntable, McIntosh MR88 tuner, Auralic ARIES G1, Oppo 105, BlueSound Node2

Last edited by Troy0004; 06-21-2019 at 07:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page