AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   z9g (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/3041310-z9g.html)

half vader 01-12-2019 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackman (Post 57423434)
I spoke to Jb's, Harvey Norman, The Good guys and nobody knew about the Z9F. Now were are talking about the three biggest players in OZ. If you are talking about "Special Orders only" what chance does the Z9f have. Maybe the Z9g will be the same

The guy from JB looked it up and it was there on the database, listed as a special order as I said after your "In Australia there is a possibility that the Z9F will now not to be released" rumour. That means they do stock it. Just not on the floor. And most of their stock is stored offsite. That's all I can tell you. The 85" Z9g has been confirmed as coming to Oz.

EDIT: So you asked again then? And they basically confirmed what I said. That it's been released. And yes, I already said they're not going to sell many that way.

You don't need to shout/BOLD it, you've said many times about your LG experience in various forums mate. We really do sympathise! But do you know for a fact though that Sony follows precisely the same practice? Because "Maybe the z9g will be the same" is supposition at this point.

half vader 01-12-2019 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by js950 (Post 57424738)
Whomever is making that panel will view it as a special order and you can be certain that Sony is paying a premium for it. What they save on R&D, they are more than paying for in the panel purchase.

May well be!

But remember my post was directly in answer to:

Quote:

Originally Posted by egrady (Post 57397968)
His point, and mine, is we'd rather see Sony spend their R&D dollars on better blacks than 8K. An 85" 4k set with 1000 zones rather an 8K with 200 zones.

Justo clarify, whether they're paying a premium to get the panel itself is something different to that topic. The point remains they're not spending more R&D budget on it.

Cheers.

js950 01-12-2019 10:22 PM

I suspect that they are. They buy all their panels so that's a wash but they need all new algorithms for their scaling and FALD, zonal BFI etc. I agree about better 75" 4k instead of 8k. I think the 95G may be a real winner for them

DJR662 01-13-2019 05:03 AM

Dutch preview for Z9G and A9G:

https://tweakers.net/reviews/6804/so...-8k-en-4k.html

I would like to point out this paragraph in particular:

"Wel waren er hier en daar duidelijk halo's rond lichte objecten op een donkere achtergrond te zien. Deze kunnen zeker bij ondertitels erg storend zijn. Sony deed geen uitspraken over het aantal zone's in de full array local dimming backlight, maar als we het zo op het oog moeten inschatten zijn het er in ieder geval beduidend minder dan bij Sony's eerdere ZD9."

They say they clearly saw haloing surrounding bright objects on dark backgrounds. This could be especially problematic with subtitles. No statements by Sony regarding FALD zone count. The people from this Dutch website however, think that at first sight it seems to have considerably less dimming zones than the Z9D.

Tweakers is a highly respected tech website in my country, they also reviewed the Z9D years ago. So first we had John Archer's first impressions and now this. I know it's premature but somehow I have a bad feeling about this. Sincerely hope I am wrong though...

egrady 01-13-2019 06:30 AM

You would think that if the Z9G had a high zone count Sony wouldn't keep it a secret. Hope I'm wrong.

gomo657 01-13-2019 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egrady (Post 57430176)
You would think that if the Z9G had a high zone count Sony wouldn't keep it a secret. Hope I'm wrong.

I may be mistaken but Sony has never revealed zone count.

sd13 01-13-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR662 (Post 57429992)

"Wel waren er hier en daar duidelijk halo's rond lichte objecten op een donkere achtergrond te zien. Deze kunnen zeker bij ondertitels erg storend zijn. Sony deed geen uitspraken over het aantal zone's in de full array local dimming backlight, maar als we het zo op het oog moeten inschatten zijn het er in ieder geval beduidend minder dan bij Sony's eerdere ZD9."

They say they clearly saw haloing surrounding bright objects on dark backgrounds. This could be especially problematic with subtitles. No statements by Sony regarding FALD zone count. The people from this Dutch website however, think that at first sight it seems to have considerably less dimming zones than the Z9D.

Tweakers is a highly respected tech website in my country, they also reviewed the Z9D years ago. So first we had John Archer's first impressions and now this. I know it's premature but somehow I have a bad feeling about this. Sincerely hope I am wrong though...

Like Vincent said in his z9f review...the side effect of wide angle filters is less than stellar black levels. All the zones in the world won’t help the blacks of a tv with poor native contrast ratio.

Blackman 01-13-2019 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by half vader (Post 57429320)

You don't need to shout/BOLD it, you've said many times about your LG experience in various forums mate.

What we went through to get this tv out of our house was not on and this is the reason why you SHOULD never buy a TV that has a Special order because the Manufacture will do special things not to get the TV back. You should know this.

Blackman 01-13-2019 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR662 (Post 57429992)

Here we go again. Quote! "They say they clearly saw haloing surrounding bright objects on dark backgrounds"

half vader 01-13-2019 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackman (Post 57433744)
What we went through to get this tv out of our house was not on and this is the reason why you SHOULD never buy a TV that has a Special order because the Manufacture will do special things not to get the TV back. You should know this.

There's no need to be patronising, no need for rudeness or disingenuous cherrypicking of quotes. My very next words after that were that we really do sympathise. You also couldn't be bothered answering any of my questions which are pertinent to this thread, and keep posting the same thing about your LG for the umpteenth time. So there's no real direction to go here.

And considering you've actually previously wished cancer on me (!) and not apologised, I think I'm done. Sorry to have caught you on an off day mate.

unknownuser200 01-13-2019 09:14 PM

sjchmura 01-13-2019 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by half vader (Post 57434310)
no real direction to go here.

And considering you've actually previously wished cancer on me (!) and not apologised, I think I'm done. Sorry to have caught you on an off day mate.

Seriously ? That is an odd curse right? I mean wishing a lightning [emoji945] strike or some god of war **** seems good. But cancer?

I certainly hope that dude is not an oncologist

Blackman 01-14-2019 01:08 AM

Quote:

NOW I know whats going on with you continuing following what I post which is true and this has happened lately. I said to myself whats wrong with hath vader because something must be wrong but now I now the issue. Please show me the post on this site or any site where i said I wished you to have cancer. You must be confused with another member Please show me the full post but don't try edit it, NO dont do that.

I never have been banned from any site or used another nick or re joined the same site with another nick, can you say the same?

DJR662 01-14-2019 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unknownuser200 (Post 57434398)
edit

In the video you posted, Vincent says the Z9G's black level "looked impressive and substantially better than the Z9F's".

Hmm, I was hoping for a little more enthusiasm there...

Blackman 01-14-2019 01:47 AM

Quote:

I think I'm done. Sorry to have caught you on an off day mate.

Yes same to me, I done, HAVE A NICE DAY. No I'm not have OFF Day but are you?. I had a good month as I'm still Alive and planing to buy our next telle maybe the next TV that will be over 75 inch but better than the Sony 9400E.

Back on topic the Z9G is a monster of a TV but this time we wont open our wallet until it proven to be a tv that is reasonable good. I think most of us have been burnt with a expensive lemon in our life.

bluemoon737 01-14-2019 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomo657 (Post 57430672)

Never...ever...

8mile13 01-14-2019 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomo657
I may be mistaken but Sony never revealed zone count

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluemoon737 (Post 57434938)
Never...ever...

Folks at the Sony booth, like it or not they represent Sony, stated how much zones their last HD FALD had... was at least 100 more zones than the actual number of zones. That was after the Sharp Elite Pro HD FALD launch which had great PQ, lots of zones at the time, huge attention grabber. And after that came Sony with 1/3th of those zones and plenty of blooming...poor man's Elite Pro. I know what you are going to say: they were not instructed to share such info... might as well were instructed by Sony to lie...we never know.

Aside from that there was a clip up and running for years at the Sony site, that is the official Sony site, which suggested that the ZD9 had thousands of zones. What exactly is the difference between zone count and suggesting the number of zones? Not much of a difference is it?

And the ZF9 is not the successor of the ZD9, the ZG9 clearly is:)

Cleveland Plasma 01-14-2019 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egrady (Post 57430176)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomo657 (Post 57430672)

Not that I have seen. We user's have to do it.......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plutotype (Post 57424550)
Hi folks,
Are the Z9G´s 8k LCDs native 120Hz panels?
Thanks

Anything can be changed from now and release date.......which this will be a summertime release.

Quote:

Originally Posted by half vader (Post 57423016)
So again, good on 'em for announcing this at CES - no matter how late in the year it comes out.

Yep, usually they show them at CEDIA. Guess they wanted to put something else up there at CES

8mile13 01-14-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma (Post 57435992)
Not that I have seen. We user's have to do it.......

''According to representatives at IFA (who don't always tend to offer the most consistent specifications), the (HX950) full-array system includes 196 individual zones, '
https://www.engadget.com/2012/08/31/.../?guccounter=1

55HX950 105 dimming zones
65HX950 128 dimming zones

egrady 01-16-2019 07:53 AM

It's really immaterial what Sony has done in the past regarding the disclosure of dimming zone count. As any corporation can do, they can switch gears in the blink of an eye if they see a financial benefit. In addition, the only set they've released to date with a high zone count is the Z9D. I believe the 75" has 800 zones. Why they never touted/disclosed the Z9D zone count is puzzling, as it is the only product where they could have from a marketing point of view.

My takeaway is the zone count of the Z9G is a mystery with a historical precedent.

JoelArt 01-16-2019 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egrady (Post 57447022)
It's really immaterial what Sony has done in the past regarding the disclosure of dimming zone count. As any corporation can do, they can switch gears in the blink of an eye if they see a financial benefit. In addition, the only set they've released to date with a high zone count is the Z9D. I believe the 75" has 800 zones. Why they never touted/disclosed the Z9D zone count is puzzling, as it is the only product where they could have from a marketing point of view.

My takeaway is the zone count of the Z9G is a mystery with a historical precedent.

They don't want the exact zone count to be part of your purchasing decision, sometimes having fewer can still yield a better looking image.

shoman94 01-16-2019 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLM87 (Post 57399726)
The z9f thread is bias.

I think you're more bias against than the z9f thread is for. [emoji23] I can tell you that the z9g, from the videos I've seen so far, does not do a better job controlling the cinema bars than the z9f. BMD might help a little too reduce haloing but nothing drastic. X-wide is the culprit or a horrible local dimming algorithm.... Maybe they have interns writing the code now. [emoji2373]... [emoji12]

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

js950 01-16-2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egrady (Post 57447022)

Because they make numerous FALD TVs. When you start quoting zones as the end all be all, you need to quote it on all models, some of which may be great sets with only 60 zones.

Cleveland Plasma 01-17-2019 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8mile13 (Post 57435212)

And the ZF9 is not the successor of the ZD9, the ZG9 clearly is:)

Well see what happens thats for sure.......Samsung had a big slumpy year, 1.5 years ago.......

TomCro 01-17-2019 03:11 AM

Dual Frame Desing

So BMD is here and this is nothing new - we saw it on Z9D
X-Wide angle technology is here - and we saw this on Z9F
The big question is, are those technologies used in the same way as on Z9D/F?
Or is Backlight Master Drive / X-Wide angle somewhat different than in Z9D/F?
Early reports/pictures do say that Frame design is preety wierd, like a dual frame design
Maybe BMD was changed in order to function with X-Wide?
Visually it seems to me like BMD is now in it's own frame, detached from pannel itself which is in other frame
Maybe this will have some positive effect to panel uniformity/DSE also
Anybode have some info on this and wont's to chime in here?
I must admit I'm preety unpatient - lots of questions and very few answers at this point
But we can all dream of affordable retail price for these until priceing is announced :)

bobbino421 01-17-2019 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoman94 (Post 57449966)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MLM87 (Post 57399726)
The z9f thread is bias.

I think you're more bias against than the z9f thread is for. [emoji23] I can tell you that the z9g, from the videos I've seen so far, does not do a better job controlling the cinema bars than the z9f. BMD might help a little too reduce haloing but nothing drastic. X-wide is the culprit or a horrible local dimming algorithm.... Maybe they have interns writing the code now. [emoji2373]... [emoji12]

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

MLM87 go home your drunk! Coming from a non owner of the Z9F all you do is knock the TV and it’s owners. You contributed nothing but nonsense and no actual experience with the Z9F. If It was so bad everyone would have returned during their return window and as a matter of fact a small percentage has! I’ve seen quite a few Z9D owners even say they don’t even get why YOU trash it so much? It’s one thing to have an opinion but you like to antagonize. I’m not afraid to call you out on it! That’s my unbiased opinion! Mods can delete this rant lol

JoelArt 01-17-2019 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomCro (Post 57452514)
So BMD is here and this is nothing new - we saw it on Z9D
X-Wide angle technology is here - and we saw this on Z9F
The big question is, are those technologies used in the same way as on Z9D/F?
Or is Backlight Master Drive / X-Wide angle somewhat different than in Z9D/F?
Early reports/pictures do say that Frame design is preety wierd, like a dual frame design
Maybe BMD was changed in order to function with X-Wide?
Visually it seems to me like BMD is now in it's own frame, detached from pannel itself which is in other frame
Maybe this will have some positive effect to panel uniformity/DSE also
Anybode have some info on this and wont's to chime in here?
I must admit I'm preety unpatient - lots of questions and very few answers at this point
But we can all dream of affordable retail price for these until priceing is announced [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

The weird looking double frame is for the four built in speakers. They are there to provide localized audio in the same way AF9 does but being an LCD it can’t use actuators like on an OLED display plate.

bobbino421 01-17-2019 10:10 AM

Would not be surprised if the 85 was around 150-200 lbs and 98 over 200-250

TomCro 01-18-2019 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoelArt (Post 57454040)
The weird looking double frame is for the four built in speakers. They are there to provide localized audio in the same way AF9 does but being an LCD it can’t use actuators like on an OLED display plate.

As this could be one of the reasons, I really doubt that sony would make such a frankenstain of a frame just for speakers. Even mounting on the wall will be problematic because of this, not to mention visual apeal. To do al of this just for the speakers, which as good as they may be no "serious user" will use, seems to be farfetched. I could bet it has to do with some more important stuff that influence PQ directly

Ted99 01-18-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomCro (Post 57457650)
As this could be one of the reasons, I really doubt that sony would make such a frankenstain of a frame just for speakers. Even mounting on the wall will be problematic because of this, not to mention visual apeal. To do al of this just for the speakers, which as good as they may be no "serious user" will use, seems to be farfetched. I could bet it has to do with some more important stuff that influence PQ directly

Sony seems to be obsessed with trying to include better built in speakers. My 70" Qualia had sound bar-quality removable speakers on the sides. My 2014 XBR 79" has the built-in soundbar-quality dumbo ear speakers. In every case, I've elected for better than sound bar-quality speakers and removed or bypassed them. At least these z9g speakers don't increase the width and since I don't wall mount, I'm indifferent to the thickness. The feature I would use is the ability to use the built-in speakers as the center speaker. I'd trade off my "better" separate center speaker for these just for the WAF.

JoelArt 01-18-2019 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomCro (Post 57457650)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoelArt (Post 57454040)

Dude, I’m not speculating I’m stating a facts. Also you can use the built in speakers as a center together with your external sound system. Some one also noted that the frame helps with heat disipation as well.

kee68 01-18-2019 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR662 (Post 57417596)
Lol.

I wonder how many people could join in if I started a "I just bought a X940D and now the Z9D is announced" thread. :D

I was one of the people that falls into that category and it left a bad taste in my mouth. No doubt I would have popped for the extra bucks for the Z9D. So now I don't trust Sony and will only buy after the end of year. We're always chasing the next upgrade but that's acceptable year to year not two in the same year. Just my .002

Audiodork 01-19-2019 11:27 AM

This is somewhat damning for the F with the inclusion of BMD. That said, considering the G will be available in sizes that the F is not, it would not surprise me to see the F(ailure) not going away that soon.

TomCro 01-21-2019 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoelArt (Post 57459786)
Dude, I’m not speculating I’m stating a facts. Also you can use the built in speakers as a center together with your external sound system. Some one also noted that the frame helps with heat disipation as well.

Dude, I'm not saying you are speculating, I'm only saying that this is not the only reason. Nobody would add such a hefty behind just for the speakers. There would be a lot of unused space there...
I guess the rear thickness was result of some other stuff(that has to do with PQ) being put there - and then the space was logically used for speakers also
Newly designed BMD is also housed in that "second" frame(this is also a fact cause I read it on official sony webpage). I guess change in BMD design was needed in order for it to work well with X-Wide, and that's why F didn't had BMD (this is just my speculation of course - or wishfull thinking)

I hope there may be some vudu stuff sony put there in order to fight that pesky DSE

Also I'm hoping that this TV has some type of "microled" LEDs, so not true microled perse, but maybe some sort of "microled simulation" with smaller individally controled leds, and in order for it to work, very thick dual frame desing was used. It looks very robust, like those old projection TVs - but I'm hopeing all that thickness will produce some revolutionary PQ (like Z9D was kinda revolutionary)

I'm hopeing for the price to be consumer level (as sony's rep hinted on CES)

I know I'm hoping a lot, but for the time being that's only thing we can do...

half vader 01-21-2019 01:31 PM

For me the thickness is neither here nor there. Because unless it's deeper than the legs it stands on, it's not an issue as we don't watch from the sides, and you generally only have to lift the thing once. If thinness for wall mounting is more important to you, you'd probably be looking at something else, not this one for its picture quality which is part and parcel of the shape/depth. I used to have the fabled XBR8 with the RGB LED backlighting. That thing was a monster. But the big old slab was worth it for the amazing colour/picture. And as I say I never watched the thing from side-on, when it was on the black bezel disappeared, and it didn't overhang the legs/stand. I also have a Z9d. That thing looks at least as thick, but we all know how good it is and why.

As for the z9g speakers, I think it's interesting that they're not just considering it as a full sound system (if we're spending that sort of money generally we don't use the tv sound for critical viewing) as is usual. And not just approaching it as a centre, but something different which a centre speaker alone can't do, using the four speakers to cross-target parts of the screen where characters are talking, like a directional mike or something. Of course I haven't heard it in action but as I say it's something traditional speakers can't do and therefore a worthwhile approach that wouldn't adversely impact things anyway. As long as the tv sound quality isn't awful and/or you could decently match your other speakers it sounds good to me. We'll find out I guess!

TomCro 01-22-2019 01:25 AM

I don't mind the thickness also, to me it's a sign the PQ will be great
I'm just inpatient to confirm those wishes regarding PQ
I admit that I really want this to be so - so I guess I'm a little biased also
This is why I persist in idea that thickness is not only because the speakers needs their place, but cause some PQ stuff is there (i.e new reincarnation of BMD)

About sound, maybe I'm not overwelmed by this cause of some early reports from guys at CES that said it's interesting, but not groundbreaking (they said they heard better from Samsung). This could obviously be a biased observation so we will have to wait and see/hear for ourselves

8mile13 01-22-2019 06:36 AM

There is this new dual layer IPS LCD stuff from Panasonic. It reintroduced thickness in 2018.

https://i.postimg.cc/VNsTkD2h/Eizo-P...nce-CG3145.jpg

half vader 01-23-2019 02:29 PM

That's crazy, look at the handles! :D Or is it more a chunky industry thing not a retail product? Still, I remember lugging around big CRT monitors for work. Amazed I never did my back in!

And is it based on the Apple patent from years back or their own thing?

half vader 01-23-2019 02:37 PM

Also, back to 8k and such, I didn't see any mention of true 12-bit panels, did anyone else? Maybe they've decided that downsampling from 14 or 12 bit to a 10 bit set is fine for now? I thought we might hear something in light of these 8k sets hitting the market.

And when is the next opportunity to hear more about the z9G? Do we have to wait until IFA? I've seen some things that said the panel hits in a few moths, others the end of the year.

8mile13 01-24-2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by half vader (Post 57487832)
That's crazy, look at the handles! :D Or is it more a chunky industry thing not a retail product? Still, I remember lugging around big CRT monitors for work. Amazed I never did my back in!

And is it based on the Apple patent from years back or their own thing?

That pic is the Eizo version. The new 2019 Sony highest High-end monitor which will replace the OLED monitor that is used at Shootouts uses the same tech.

These miniLED TVs and monitors of which we have seen the first ones at CES 2019 will also be thicker than what we are used to. First miniLED monitor Asus_

https://i.postimg.cc/HLBRZxc6/asus-miniled-50.jpg

eelpout 01-24-2019 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by half vader (Post 57487832)
That's crazy, look at the handles! :D Or is it more a chunky industry thing not a retail product? Still, I remember lugging around big CRT monitors for work. Amazed I never did my back in! And is it based on the Apple patent from years back or their own thing?

That looks like Panasonic's light modulating cell panel. The fact that there is Eizo branding in the picture clinches it, as I believe they are the only ones currently that are using it commercially. These are 1000 nit, HDR color grading monitors used in studios and production houses. They are so thick because of the extra stacked layer that handles contrast down to the pixel level (sort of an infinite opacity LCD shutter) and because of the fans at the back to control the heat from the searingly bright full time light panel. I think this technology has been deemed too expensive and complicated for home use.

Nothing to do with the fruit company.

half vader 01-24-2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eelpout (Post 57493160)
That looks like Panasonic's light modulating cell panel. The fact that there is Eizo branding in the picture clinches it, as I believe they are the only ones currently that are using it commercially. These are 1000 nit, HDR color grading monitors used in studios and production houses. They are so thick because of the extra stacked layer that handles contrast down to the pixel level (sort of an infinite opacity LCD shutter) and because of the fans at the back to control the heat from the searingly bright full time light panel. I think this technology has been deemed too expensive and complicated for home use.

Aha. I do understand the dual lcd tech, and just asked about Apple because as I say they've had their own patent for precisely this dual lcd tech in the works for years. Just not first to market it seems.

Thanks for the info!

half vader 01-24-2019 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8mile13 (Post 57491414)
That pic is the Eizo version. The new 2019 Sony highest High-end monitor which will replace the OLED monitor that is used at Shootouts uses the same tech.

These miniLED TVs and monitors of which we have seen the first ones at CES 2019 will also be thicker than what we are used to. First miniLED monitor Asus_

https://i.postimg.cc/HLBRZxc6/asus-miniled-50.jpg

Cool, the successor to the fabled x300! Thanks for the pics and info!

8mile13 01-25-2019 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eelpout (Post 57493160)

Isn't the Sony similar?

https://www.liftgammagain.com/forum/...monitor.11398/
https://i.postimg.cc/ZnhNSLgj/Schermopname-18-50.png

8mile13 01-25-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by half vader (Post 57493218)
Cool, the successor to the fabled x300! Thanks for the pics and info!

That pic is from a 2019 Asus miniLED monitor. I just posted some info on the BVM HX310.

lbjack 01-25-2019 07:58 PM

About Sony and zones, reminds me of the old Rolls specs, that gave no horsepower. When asked, Rolls would say, "Enough." Also, if you're into photography, then you probably know that the pixel wars are largely a marketing gimmick. More pixel density needs smaller pixels, which are noisier, so some lower pixel counts give better image quality. I think Sony recognizes that zone count is more important to marketing than picture quality. In their spec, posted a few pages ago, Sony said, 20x more contrast (presumably contrast ratio) without local dimming.

Yes, Vincent said better blacks with the Z9G than with the Z9F. In his review, Vincent said the Z9F's loss of black wasn't worth the X-view. He said the Z9G blacks are better. Remember, with 85" and above, sitting 9 feet away, you'll get viewing angle towards the edges, even sitting in the sweet spot. So with very large screens angle-fade isn't just about where you sit.

Someone mentioned if OLED is the dope, then why 6 new LCDs at CES? I don't think it's about pricing. It's about burn-in. I prefer the old term tattoing, because once it's there, it's there to stay. That scares folks, since most people have static content and have heard that burn-in is cumulative. I'm know some of you who have OLED say it's not an issue, but it is in the buyer's mind.

Finally, about 8K is "pointless". No, it's not pointless. Archer makes the point: "Based around the need for greater pixel density on large screens in order to better match the experience creators get when mastering on much smaller 4K screens." He also talks about the immersive effect of having detail in far objects and "immediacy" with near objects. Combine this with light and color management, and you get "dimensionality" or as Sony blurbs it, "realness". Subjectively, Archer says, it's more like looking through a window than at a screen. This points the drive of the industry to achieve an immersive experience—huge screens with projected rather than reflected light—an inherent advantage, IMO, that light panels have over projection—and incredibly lifelike renderings close-up—glasses-free 3D, if you will. With 100" screens, panels are approaching, for the home theater, the main advantage of projection. 8K is an integral part of the process.

half vader 01-26-2019 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8mile13 (Post 57497560)
That pic is from a 2019 Asus miniLED monitor. I just posted some info on the BVM HX310.

I know, and that was what I was referring to (that the new Sony reference monitor uses the tech). And just saying thankyou in general for all pics and info. Hope that makes it clearer!

egrady 01-26-2019 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbjack (Post 57500934)
About Sony and zones, reminds me of the old Rolls specs, that gave no horsepower. When asked, Rolls would say, "Enough." Also, if you're into photography, then you probably know that the pixel wars are largely a marketing gimmick. More pixel density needs smaller pixels, which are noisier, so some lower pixel counts give better image quality. I think Sony recognizes that zone count is more important to marketing than picture quality. In their spec, posted a few pages ago, Sony said, 20x more contrast (presumably contrast ratio) without local dimming.

Regarding zone count, may I suggest you consider blooming? Especially with HDR images.

eelpout 01-26-2019 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8mile13 (Post 57497538)

yep, looks like they've adopted it too. Which isn't surprising given the burn-in problems the OLED BVM-X300 is prone to, as there is a lot of static imagery in production. Honestly, haven't been keeping up on these panels for a while since they (sadly) don't ever seem destined for the consumer market. I know Flanders Scientific was looking at using these too. They have a more conventional 31" 2000 zone unit that can go to 3000 nits, but I think the light modulating cell panel is in the XM311K.

lbjack 01-26-2019 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egrady (Post 57501954)
Regarding zone count, may I suggest you consider blooming? Especially with HDR images.

Good point. Someone else said earlier in this thread, in speculating on Sony's reticence about zone count, that maybe you can reach a point where the benefit of zone count levels off. It's ironic about blooming in HDR. since the whole point of HDR is delivering dynamic range to accommodate dark/black with bright/white without clipping. Sony is pitching pixel-level over zones and their powerful processors to handle this. (In the Z9D thread there's talk about Triluminos being a form of quantum dot.)

We're talking about a model that hasn't been launched, that has only been seen at CES. We really can't say anything definitive about photos of screens. Has blooming been an issue with the Z9D? (Z9F doesn't count ;)) A cursory look at the Z9D owner's thread doesn't show me any.

With the Z9G we're gonna have to get real-world reviews to see when/if blooming occurs. If blooming happens in HDR, then is it due to zone count or maybe to an algorithm issue that can be addressed in firmware? Or, as Vincent speculated in his Z9F review, a mismatch between Sony's and OPPO's HDR implementation. (I have a UHD 203 waiting for a TV.)

As an afterthought, I can't imagine Sony's being reticent about zone count to cover up blooming caused by a low zone count. More likely they attack blooming via another route and don't want zone count to muddy the water. If that's the case, then eliminating BMD in the Z9F was a big boo-boo, which they've rectified in this one. Vincent says it's much better now, with BMD restored. Of course that still won't give the Z9G OLED blacks, but it may get close enough that LCD shadow detail advantage will outweigh OLED black level advantage. Finally, what tips the scale for me is that I use my TV as a computer monitor, so have lots of static content, and as long as there's OLED tattooing, no way will I risk a big investment.

DJR662 02-08-2019 02:56 AM

Whathifi preview:

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/sony-zg9

samovies10 02-08-2019 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR662 (Post 57568768)

Again, blooming in black bars. *Sigh*...

Cleveland Plasma 02-08-2019 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by half vader (Post 57487884)

And when is the next opportunity to hear more about the z9G? Do we have to wait until IFA? I've seen some things that said the panel hits in a few moths, others the end of the year.

Probably late summertime, when they are released.....

Blackman 02-08-2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samovies10 (Post 57571630)
Again, blooming in black bars. *Sigh*...

Lost interest of buying a new quality tv in 2019. These companies today must not care for tv that have the Blooming, haloing issue because they still built them standard in quality Tv's. Maybe only 2% of the Buying public care about not having Blooming, haloing issue like we are so the manufactures don'y worry about this and still built them to have the issue.

egrady 02-08-2019 04:36 PM

Lets not jump to conclusions about blooming. The Whathifi article looks like the exact same comments we've seen from CES. In fact, given the material I suspect the article was based on the CES demo.

I'm withholding judgment until we get pricing and reviewers are allowed to test the Z9G in their own environment. But, if it blooms like my 940D does with HDR.....

samovies10 02-08-2019 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egrady (Post 57572406)
Lets not jump to conclusions about blooming. The Whathifi article looks like the exact same comments we've seen from CES. In fact, given the material I suspect the article was based on the CES demo.

I'm withholding judgment until we get pricing and reviewers are allowed to test the Z9G in their own environment. But, if it blooms like my 940D does with HDR.....

I'm holding final judgment as well until they're actually released plus everything you mentioned. The worry is that the number of zones is not enough to ameliorate the drawbacks of blooming which the wide angle tech introduces, and after the number of zones and native contrast of the Z9F... well, I'm almost resigned to wait another year to upgrade, but as I said, I'll wait for extensive reviews to make a final decision.

TomCro 02-14-2019 07:46 AM

Priceing

all this blooming speculation asside, what whould you guys pay for this 85" (assuming you will be happy with level of blooming etc and you would wonna buy it in the first place)

samovies10 02-14-2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomCro (Post 57601674)
all this blooming speculation asside, what whould you guys pay for this 85" (assuming you will be happy with level of blooming etc and you would wonna buy it in the first place)

Assuming there’s little to no blooming (like the Z9D), native contrast is high (for an LCD; i.e. 5000+:1), the color gamut is good (95+% of DCI P3), and the color volume is up to current standards (85+% of DCI P3), then I think $15K to $17K is a good price. I don’t care about 8K and I doubt most people will even notice the extra resolution given the content available and regular seating distances. I think $18K and higher would be too high and not worth it. I’d pay that much for a miniLED model with practically no blooming whatsoever (plus the other attributes I mentioned above), but for something that has 1000 zones or less at 85” then that’d be asking way too much.

As much as I dislike Samsung, their 85” 8K mode, which has 480 zones plus great color gamut and volume, is selling at $15K. If Sony’s model has equal or even more blooming and they sell it at higher prices, they’d be shooting themselves in the foot and they’d basically end up with a bigger model of the Z9F. As good as their processing is, it can’t make up for lower color gamut/volume and bad blooming.

DJR662 02-14-2019 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samovies10 (Post 57602982)
Assuming there’s little to no blooming (like the Z9D), native contrast is high (for an LCD; i.e. 5000+:1), the color gamut is good (95+% of DCI P3), and the color volume is up to current standards (85+% of DCI P3), then I think $15K to $17K is a good price. I don’t care about 8K and I doubt most people will even notice the extra resolution given the content available and regular seating distances. I think $18K and higher would be too high and not worth it. I’d pay that much for a miniLED model with practically no blooming whatsoever (plus the other attributes I mentioned above), but for something that has 1000 zones or less at 85” then that’d be asking way too much.

As much as I dislike Samsung, their 85” 8K mode, which has 480 zones plus great color gamut and volume, is selling at $15K. If Sony’s model has equal or even more blooming and they sell it at higher prices, they’d be shooting themselves in the foot and they’d basically end up with a bigger model of the Z9F. As good as their processing is, it can’t make up for lower color gamut/volume and bad blooming.

This post reflects my thoughts as well.

Although I have to say I think I'll be skipping the Z9G altogether.

Initially I was thrilled reading about the G and it being the true successor to the Z9D. But all of that went right out of the window when the X wide view tech was mentioned. I'm 100% against this. If people want better viewing angles, they should get an IPS or OLED. Limited viewing angles is just inherent to VA panels. It's a small price to pay (if any at all) for what you get in return. Matter of fact, limited viewing angles is not an issue for me at all with my current Z9Ds. Picture quality triumphs over viewing angles anytime. I want zero compromises being made.

I would think about 15K (in Euros, I'm from Europe :) ) would be reasonable for the 85" Z9G. The thing is, I don't want support Sony for their X wide view tech. My gut tells me it is not going to end up that well regarding black level, contrast and control of blooming. At least not like it should/could be and then especially for a set that will be very expensive like this one. Ofcourse this is just a feeling I have. Reviews might say otherwise...
Secondly I'm a bit wary now about spending that much money on an LCD (or OLED for that matter) when Mini or MicroLED might be around the corner in perhaps a year or two. It would be a very though pill to swallow having spent thousands on an 85" Z9G, and then Sony comes up with a Mini or MicroLED next year or so...

I will still be closely following any updates on the Z9G and ofcourse reviews as well. Who knows, perhaps I'll change my mind... But I have a feeling my Z9Ds will last until the first new tech will be available.

samovies10 02-14-2019 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR662 (Post 57604938)
This post reflects my thoughts as well.

Although I have to say I think I'll be skipping the Z9G altogether.

Initially I was thrilled reading about the G and it being the true successor to the Z9D. But all of that went right out of the window when the X wide view tech was mentioned. I'm 100% against this. If people want better viewing angles, they should get an IPS or OLED. Limited viewing angles is just inherent to VA panels. It's a small price to pay (if any at all) for what you get in return. Matter of fact, limited viewing angles is not an issue for me at all with my current Z9Ds. Picture quality triumphs over viewing angles anytime. I want zero compromises being made.

I would think about 15K (in Euros, I'm from Europe :) ) would be reasonable for the 85" Z9G. The thing is, I don't want support Sony for their X wide view tech. My gut tells me it is not going to end up that well regarding black level, contrast and control of blooming. At least not like it should/could be and then especially for a set that will be very expensive like this one. Ofcourse this is just a feeling I have. Reviews might say otherwise...
Secondly I'm a bit wary now about spending that much money on an LCD (or OLED for that matter) when Mini or MicroLED might be around the corner in perhaps a year or two. It would be a very though pill to swallow having spent thousands on an 85" Z9G, and then Sony comes up with a Mini or MicroLED next year or so...

I will still be closely following any updates on the Z9G and ofcourse reviews as well. Who knows, perhaps I'll change my mind... But I have a feeling my Z9Ds will last until the first new tech will be available.

Yeah, a miniLED feels imminent at this point. I'll wait for final reviews on the Z9G, but if the current impressions stay true, I'm skipping this year in terms of spending so much for a new display. I am eyeing the 75" Vizio Quantum X since it'll have 480 zones plus Quantum tech, and I've been wanting to upgrade to a bigger display for quite some time now. If the price is right for it, I might get that Vizio to hold me over for a couple of years until a decent miniLED model comes along.

Keithian 02-14-2019 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samovies10 (Post 57605834)
Yeah, a miniLED feels imminent at this point. I'll wait for final reviews on the Z9G, but if the current impressions stay true, I'm skipping this year in terms of spending so much for a new display. I am eyeing the 75" Vizio Quantum X since it'll have 480 zones plus Quantum tech, and I've been wanting to upgrade to a bigger display for quite some time now. If the price is right for it, I might get that Vizio to hold me over for a couple of years until a decent miniLED model comes along.

Even if miniled does get released soon at mainstream sizes, it will be years later before its reasonably priced.

samovies10 02-15-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithian (Post 57605910)
Even if miniled does get released soon at mainstream sizes, it will be years later before its reasonably priced.

Well, 'reasonable' is a relative term, and even then, that's not necessarily true:

"Taking a 65-inch UHD 4K TV panel as an example, the production cost of panel modules using high-end direct type LED backlight and quantum-dot enhancement film (QDEF) is probably US$600. As for the same size UHD with Mini LED backlight, which uses 16,000 LEDs, the production cost is around US$700. In case of 40,000 LEDs for better performance, the cost will rise to US$1200, 20% higher than an OLED TV of the same size and resolution."

Article:
https://www.witsview.com/2018/10/29/...ays-trendforce

The cost itself isn't that high compared to an OLED. The main problem, or worry, for big companies who make displays (or rely on them for their products, such as cellphones) is that OLED has been going down in production costs lately, which gives companies pause as to whether or not it is worth investing in miniLED mass production. So, while this obviously does not guarantee that miniLED will become available over the next couple of years, it is an indication that the cost itself is not much higher than making an OLED at the same size, it just depends on the number of actual miniLEDs that they use per panel. As for myself, I think 10,000+ miniLEDs are more than enough to solve blooming issues, but of course that is up to the companies to decide. So, it seems OLED will either overtake the market while miniLED won't become available, or, it will become available over the next few years at prices that are not way higher than current OLED prices. My guess is that given the higher brightness than OLED with OLED-comparable black levels and practically no blooming, there will be at least a few companies that start using miniLED. Point is, if available at all, miniLED prices should not be way higher than current OLED prices.

TomCro 02-19-2019 06:36 AM

I was sceptic about 8K also, but then I thought PS5(I guess to arrive in 2020) will probably be 8K, and this TV would be the one to pair up with PS5
Just thinking about playing TheLastOfUsII in 8K on Z9G is breath taking :)
And if PS5 will indeed be 8K, than maybe some other 8K models will be introduced soon from sony (maybe even smaller more affordable 75" Z9G)
I keep hopeing "consumer priced" means something less then 15K...

DJR662 02-19-2019 09:40 AM

https://i.postimg.cc/SQXFg75h/050603...p-up-chart.jpg

According to a Dutch website, Sony's new line up of TVs should be available in shops "real soon, possibly a matter of weeks now."

Let's see that 85" Z9G price! :D

sjchmura 02-21-2019 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomCro (Post 57624820)
I was sceptic about 8K also, but then I thought PS5(I guess to arrive in 2020) will probably be 8K, and this TV would be the one to pair up with PS5
Just thinking about playing TheLastOfUsII in 8K on Z9G is breath taking :)
And if PS5 will indeed be 8K, than maybe some other 8K models will be introduced soon from sony (maybe even smaller more affordable 75" Z9G)
I keep hopeing "consumer priced" means something less then 15K...

We will be lucky if the ps5 and xbone2 get 4K 60. Forget ray tracing and 8k

The CPU cores will be getting massive upgrades which is good for computation, AI, and many things. But even th3 $700 Radeon 7 is worthless at 4K let alone 8k

video_analysis 02-21-2019 06:39 AM

Hmm, if Sony's new lineup is due in mere weeks, I wonder what this means for Z9D pricing/availability (yes, I'm contemplating nabbing one on the end of the product cycle, mostly for 3D but also for BI resilience and even brightness capability).

ferro 02-21-2019 08:22 AM

German site 4KFilme.de visited the Sony Roadshow in Berlin where all 2019 Sony TV's are on display.

They overheard that the price for the 85" Z9G will be € 30,000 :).

egrady 02-21-2019 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferro (Post 57635870)
German site 4KFilme.de visited the Sony Roadshow in Berlin where all 2019 Sony TV's are on display.

They overheard that the price for the 85" Z9G will be € 30,000 :).

https://youtu.be/7dz-hDa10-4?t=288

Not sure if you're joking, but 34K US would quell my enthusiasm.

DJR662 02-21-2019 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egrady (Post 57636414)

LOL.

My limited skills of the German language also picked this up. He really says he heard the 85" model might cost 30.000 Euros. If that's really the case, then I think I'll pass... :D

ferro 02-21-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egrady (Post 57636414)

I'm not joking, that is what they say at 4:48 in the video. The smiley in my previous post merely reflects my amusement at such a price level. If true it would make my choice between a 77A9G and 85Z9G a lot easier. Another report from the same roadshow mentions that the 77A9G would be welll below € 10,000.

DJR662 02-21-2019 08:04 PM

German preview:

https://www.areadvd.de/tests/xxl-preview-von-der-roadshow-in-berlin-sony-98-zoll-8k-tv-master-series-zg9/

A pricetag of less than 20.000 Euros sounds better than 30.000. :D

No mentioning of black level/dimming performance or blooming. Not really surprising I guess, given the demo material that was shown and the viewing conditions.

mithras1 02-22-2019 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by video_analysis (Post 57635454)
Hmm, if Sony's new lineup is due in mere weeks, I wonder what this means for Z9D pricing/availability (yes, I'm contemplating nabbing one on the end of the product cycle, mostly for 3D but also for BI resilience and even brightness capability).

Only the models with prices up already are going to be available in the near time (March/mid-March), so seemingly only the X950G in the US (X850G as well in Europe). OLED models for example are expected for May ...
Z9D?? The product cycle ended long ago (except for the 100") EDIT: I see they still have 2018 produced models in the US :eek:(these things are nowhere to be found in Europe)

video_analysis 02-22-2019 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mithras1 (Post 57640472)
Only the models with prices up already are going to be available in the near time (March/mid-March), so seemingly only the X950G in the US (X850G as well in Europe). OLED models for example are expected for May ...
Z9D?? The product cycle ended long ago (except for the 100") EDIT: I see they still have 2018 produced models in the US :eek:(these things are nowhere to be found in Europe)

Correct, the Z9D was still being manufactured as late as November 2018 stateside. I probably shouldn't expect anymore blowouts, just a gradual disappearance. Wonderful viewing angles aside on newer models, 800+ zones at 75" is the new standard to match/surpass.

egrady 03-06-2019 04:44 PM

There has been some recent buzz on the new offerings from LG and Samsung, but crickets for the Sony Z9G. I'm looking for a new set of at least 82" and can wait until all the new models have been released/reviewed. But the wait will be tough if LG and Samsung have a spring release and Sony remains mum until the fall when they typically, but not always, release their new products.

There is something Sony could do to make the wait easier. If Sony is waiting to beef up the Z9G's HDMI 2.1 capability, such as full 48 Gbps, it would work for me. It looks like LG/Samsung are going to release HDMI 2.1 capable sets that are really HDMI 2.1 lite. This would allow the Z9G to take full advantage of what the PS5 is likely to offer.

Sony, please clue us in on why the wait is worth it.

Menarini 03-09-2019 12:42 AM

Any more news on this thing? Of all the tv's announced at ces, the z9g is one on which we have the lowest available information - still no full specs, price, release date. Sony keeps the details hidden too long, we're into march now, some information needs to come. the sony site still has the same available soon and price unavailable notification, it hasn't got updated.

I'm interested to see how sony's calibrated beam BMD performs on a 8k tv with the x1 ultimate. Far as lcd's go, this tv sounds promising from the limited information we have so far.

encaser 03-10-2019 10:22 AM

By the time these come out, TCL's miniLED 75" X10s should available in the US - could put the cat amongst the pigeons.

LondonBenji 03-25-2019 10:12 PM

Keithian 03-26-2019 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LondonBenji (Post 57804738)

I think I'm going to cancel my order for the 82" Q90 and go with this 98", as its only about $6000 per inch more. That's a bargain.

Menarini 03-26-2019 03:48 AM

The 100 z9d in the u.s. was priced around 60000 usd, this 98 is 70000 but it's 8k.
The 85 is cheaper than i anticipated , i was expecting 20000 usd.

We need to see some performance reports on the 85 z9d and how well the BMD works as well as the number of zones. For comparable local dimming contrast to a 75 z9d , i think a 85 would have to have around 1000 zones. Hope sony for once isn't compromising on the number of zones. The recent few sony lcd's have been pretty mediocre.

gomo657 03-28-2019 05:53 AM

Justin Patel 03-31-2019 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisbryanguy001 (Post 57396128)
It actually has both X-Wide Angle and Backlight Master Drive which is strange because I would have thought that you can only have one or the other.

My understanding is that X-Wide Angle is an optical layer that scatters light horizontally while Backlight Master Drive focuses the LED light. I always assumed they removed BMD from the Z9F because the two technologies seem counter to each other. But, there's not reason why you can't do both. I'm curious to see the combo of the two.

Cleveland Plasma 04-01-2019 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithian (Post 57805152)
I think I'm going to cancel my order for the 82" Q90 and go with this 98", as its only about $6000 per inch more. That's a bargain.

Ya, 98" over a 82" is 42.8% more screen area, thats not much for that type of cash.

JoelArt 04-02-2019 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma (Post 57840860)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithian (Post 57805152)

Ya, 98" over a 82" is 42.8% more screen area, thats not much for that type of cash.

It's more likely due to screen yields and demands that drives the price up so high. It's a luxury niche product.

Danny725 04-02-2019 05:56 AM

I am interested in this tv if the optical filter doesn't ruin direct on angle viewing. How will Backlight master drive with calibrated beam work in conjunction with the optical filter, turns out people were wrong who were saying BMD was abandoned in Z9F because it could not work with optical filter.
Sony needs to improve the optical filter so it performs like Samsung Q90R and does not ruin on angle performance. Native contrast is vital just like a good local dimming system.

TomCro 04-02-2019 07:52 AM

Sony will start shipping this beast in June... So we will have some of the answers in two months... Seems so far away...

egrady 04-02-2019 11:41 AM

I'm going to give Sony a break their pricing. Mostly because I really don't care about the price of the 98". 13K for the 85" is not bad IF IT DELIVERS THE GOODS. So lets give Sony well done on the pricing for the 85" no matter how outragous their number is for the 98".

I'm going to reinforce comments made by others on viewing angle. Compromising contrast/black level/blooming in order to obtain a wider viewing angle is a mistake. Especially when you're dealing with 85"+ screen sizes. Wider viewing angles are great as long as they have no adverse impact on direct viewing. I'm interested in an 85Z9G that is a step up from the Z9D. Not in one that is one step above the Z9F, which is two steps behind the Z9D in contrast/black level/blooming.

glassbil 04-02-2019 12:58 PM

I really wanna believe that z9g is a tv that will surpass z9d but now that sony has oled I dont think they are concerned going the extra mile to make a total oled killer.

TomCro 04-18-2019 07:09 AM

Seems like my guess PS5 will produce 8K output was correct (according to exclusive interviu in Wired)
It all seems perfectly planed by Sony
First they will "spread" 8K TVs, and cca year after, when those TV's "flod" the market, they will spit out a PS5 gem to go with it
All those having this combo Z9G+PS5 will certainly be lucky guys (or girls even)

sjchmura 04-18-2019 10:35 PM

I doubt the ps5 will have more than 1 demo or a static picutree in 4k.

Remeber the PS3 was "1080p”. So far the ps4 pro is barely hitting 1080p 60hz

theone26 04-19-2019 01:34 AM

If anything that'll push me to get a 85" Z9G would be Horizon Zero Dawn 2 checkerboarding to 8k with insane next gen graphics. Otherwise no point getting one in June with hardly any content available.

UltimateDisplay 04-19-2019 06:26 PM

the only 8K PS5 will produce is upscaled

or @ 10-15 fps ;)

half vader 04-19-2019 06:59 PM

Sony have said diddly squat about 8k meaning games at this point as far as I've seen. If you read the original Wired interview/again it could easily mean nothing more than 8k video playback at this juncture (I doubt it but you get the point) - which is probably a given. But it's all assumption.

The writer Peter Rubin mentioned 8k and as I say wasn't specific - but nothing actually came verbatim from Cerny's lips. And considering the amount of interpretation Rubin does in the article instead of letting Cerny just speak/transcribing...

It's too early to either heap praise or throw shade/snark at them in my opinion.

ES_Revenge 04-20-2019 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltimateDisplay (Post 57926926)
the only 8K PS5 will produce is upscaled

or @ 10-15 fps ;)

Not even 10 I don't think lol. PS4 Pro's GPU is Ellesmere XT-class with Ellesmere PRO VRAM bandwidth which is nowhere near what is required for 4K gaming as it is. Even if they have PS5 Professional Turbo Black Edition, I doubt it's gonna come anywhere near to what's required to game at 8K.

Xbone X is above Ellesmere XT and even has more CUs than the RX 590 (XTX), the 590 has more clockspeed but the Xbone X's GPU also has way more VRAM bandwidth by way of using a 384-bit memory bus. But yeah that's not enough for 4K either. Current console gaming is definitely "fauxK"--they use quite a few tricks to get "4K" output. Too many people don't understand that just being a console and saying nonsense like "4K" can't defy physics--there simply isn't the GPU horsepower there for real 4K gaming.

8K gaming is not even possible at decent framerates with a 2080 Ti, if we're talking about modern "AAA" games. That's basically just catching up to a 4K/60FPS+ experience with max settings in the demanding games. 8K gaming is a ways off and given a 2080 Ti is at least 2x the cost of an Xbone X for a videocard alone, don't expect consoles to be doing this for at least another 5 years and even then expect some 30FPS framerates or other trickery to get it to be "8K". Unless of course you want your PS5/Xbox Two/whatever to cost like $2000+ that is.

New_to_4K 04-20-2019 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glassbil (Post 57844158)
I really wanna believe that z9g is a tv that will surpass z9d but now that sony has oled I dont think they are concerned going the extra mile to make a total oled killer.

I don’t see how an 85” $13k 8k TV is directly in competition with a 55”, 65” and 77” less than $8k 4K OLEDs.

TomCro 04-25-2019 07:55 AM

I agree that currently we do not have any real and conclusive info about 8K and PS5 nor the price
But with all info I guathered (have some friends that are working in graphics cards branche - not hardware producing, rather programming their software for big player, but they are in the loop for custom graphics hardware/software for PS5) it seems 8K console gaming on PS5 could be reality. Of course frame rate is yet to be seen, but could hit 30fps if sony will opt for most powerfull hardware version. And also, the price of this console will not be as the old generation. 1000$ seems like realistic starting point in my opinion
All of this are my specualtion's of course, nothing confirmed or official, cause lots of times Sony asks from them(my friends) to validate all sort of things, but that doesn't mean that they will be actually in use in final product (i.e they may decide that 1000$ for 8K 30fps will be to hefty price - so sony could opt for 400$ 4K 60fps - and maybe even PS5e(4K) and PS5(8K) versions - but this is unlikely in mine opinion)
I do not wan't to make this thread a PS5 one, but while waiting for this beast of a TV to start shipping I just like to find a good reason for buying it :)

duc135 04-25-2019 10:05 AM

Personally, I couldn't care less about 8K, but will get this TV if the 4K quality is noticeably better than the current =/>85" offerings.

JakeE 04-25-2019 01:45 PM

Hand's on video review for the 85" Sony Z9G 8K. Also noted Sony finally posted retail pricing on their website: 85"=$13k and 98"=$70k. The most obvious question in my mind is 'how will the 85" Z9G stack up against the 85" Sony X950-G?' which has a retail price of $5k, as well as a much thinner body?

Coercion Shaman 04-26-2019 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeE (Post 57954324)
Hand's on video review for the 85" Sony Z9G 8K. Also noted Sony finally posted retail pricing on their website: 85"=$13k and 98"=$70k. The most obvious question in my mind is 'how will the 85" Z9G stack up against the 85" Sony X950-G?' which has a retail price of $5k, as well as a much thinner body?

You would think Sony (since this is at their HQ), would have a better setup to control the ceiling lights to minimize the reflections on the set. That was.... horrible.

bobbino421 04-26-2019 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman (Post 57956826)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeE (Post 57954324)

You would think Sony (since this is at their HQ), would have a better setup to control the ceiling lights to minimize the reflections on the set. That was.... horrible.

I was about to say the same thing about the reflection along the top! I have no doubt it will have fantastic PQ but let’s dim or turn off the lights and see how it does in a dark room!

DJR662 04-26-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbino421 (Post 57957786)
I was about to say the same thing about the reflection along the top! I have no doubt it will have fantastic PQ but let’s dim or turn off the lights and see how it does in a dark room!

Yeah.

I'm really anxious to know how this one will hold up against the 75Z9D in terms of local dimming, black level/contrast, blooming control and peak brightness.