z9g - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 536Likes

post #751 of 907 Old 08-15-2019, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 74
If the Canadian member above purchased in Ontario this thing is just a shade over $20K after sales tax here. Or about the same price as a brand new Honda Civic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 907 Old 08-16-2019, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7312 Post(s)
Liked: 7339
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMega View Post
Eager to hear your thoughts! Mine is probably gonna sit just like this for the next two weeks waiting for some other stuff to finish...
You did unbox it and power it on correct, just because a box is perfect that does not mean the TV is......

Quote:
Originally Posted by picturequality View Post
The price is the problem not many people can spend 13 grand cash for a tv and some who can afford it thinks that is too much money for a tv. When the price drops you will start to see a lot more owners.
True that.......
Maggiemargo likes this.
post #753 of 907 Old 08-19-2019, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
We hooked the TV up for a few days to validate everything and test the system, but had to take it down to complete the renovations (don't want to move the TV more than necessary). My quick assessment:

• I have never seen a consumer TV with such dramatically bright and exciting HDR performance. Light sources and sun-filled windows look real in high-contrast interior scenes, and I didn't notice any panel dimming with bright scenes. Amazingly, bright outdoor scenes with Dolby Vision still had convincing HDR brightness range and contrast from shadows to highlights while sill being overall very bright (probably due to the high brightness output range of this TV and BMD contrast).
  • Panel uniformity seems excellent. I always hated the slight darkening in the extreme corners of some mid-range sets in the past such as X900F, and this TV has none of that.
  • Even with X-wide, there is a definite sweet spot. The 98" is so large that it can be easy to get out of it if you are sitting too close or too far below the TV (need to mount it low or angled down I think).
  • There is blooming in problem areas you would expect, such as when subtitles and on-screen text are (improperly imo) displayed at full HDR brightness like the beginning of the original Blade Runner for minutes on end (this is a pet peeve of mine, this stuff should never be full white in HDR although the TV is somewhat responsible if you have dynamic range extender on).
  • I did notice blooming into the black bars in some occasions when I was really watching for it, but I have to say it was really well-managed and I had to remind myself to look for it. This TV is so freaking bright in those situations that it doesn't actually look like an artifact the times I noticed it, because whatever was causing it was like 3000 nits :P

Overall the HDR and color performance of this TV is the best I have seen, it's really insane. I might still opt to watch very dark / dim movies on my OLED but for high-quality HDR / Dolby Vision I won't be missing anything.

Will try to post more when everything is set back up in a few weeks.

Last edited by SuperMega; 08-19-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 907 Old 08-19-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 1160
Are these built in Mexico or Japan?

film Sony 65A1E|Sonus faber Liuto, Smart Center, Venere Wall|SVS SB2000|Sony ZA5000ES|UDP 205|UB820
2ch Sonus faber Toy|REL S/5|Sony TA-A1ES|Wadia 321|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony PS-HX500 + Schiit Mani|AQ Niagara 5000
desk Sonus faber Toy monitor|REL T-Zero|Rega Brio|AQ Dragonfly Cobalt/Victoria|Mac mini|AQ PowerQuest 3
living Sony 55X930E|B&W 706 S2|Marantz NR1508|Panasonic UB900
post #755 of 907 Old 08-19-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post
Are these built in Mexico or Japan?

The back panel says Made in Japan.
fatuglyguy and CygnusX2112 like this.
post #756 of 907 Old 08-20-2019, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
We hooked the TV up for a few days to validate everything and test the system, but had to take it down to complete the renovations (don't want to move the TV more than necessary). My quick assessment:

• I have never seen a consumer TV with such dramatically bright and exciting HDR performance. Light sources and sun-filled windows look real in high-contrast interior scenes, and I didn't notice any panel dimming with bright scenes. Amazingly, bright outdoor scenes with Dolby Vision still had convincing HDR brightness range and contrast from shadows to highlights while sill being overall very bright (probably due to the high brightness output range of this TV and BMD contrast).
  • Panel uniformity seems excellent. I always hated the slight darkening in the extreme corners of some mid-range sets in the past such as X900F, and this TV has none of that.
  • Even with X-wide, there is a definite sweet spot. The 98" is so large that it can be easy to get out of it if you are sitting too close or too far below the TV (need to mount it low or angled down I think).
  • There is blooming in problem areas you would expect, such as when subtitles and on-screen text are (improperly imo) displayed at full HDR brightness like the beginning of the original Blade Runner for minutes on end (this is a pet peeve of mine, this stuff should never be full white in HDR although the TV is somewhat responsible if you have dynamic range extender on).
  • I did notice blooming into the black bars in some occasions when I was really watching for it, but I have to say it was really well-managed and I had to remind myself to look for it. This TV is so freaking bright in those situations that it doesn't actually look like an artifact the times I noticed it, because whatever was causing it was like 3000 nits :P

Overall the HDR and color performance of this TV is the best I have seen, it's really insane. I might still opt to watch very dark / dim movies on my OLED but for high-quality HDR / Dolby Vision I won't be missing anything.

Will try to post more when everything is set back up in a few weeks.
Appreciate the feedback. Sounds awesome.

I’m not surprised that the HDR performance is so impressive on a set pushing that kind of peak brightness. Can’t wait to see one in person.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #757 of 907 Old 08-28-2019, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Xbr-85z9g

I've received my Geek Squad date from Best Buy, scheduled for the day after the Sony 85Z9G delivery.
I'm going to use a rolling tv cart with with the 85Z9G, so i can position it in front of my 158 inch 2.35:1 theater screen but still be able to move it out of the way when desired.
The cart has already arrived, and seems like it will be fine for the job. I have an extra GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL that will be placed on the cart, under the 85Z9G. This way I will not need to re-position my center channel when I switch between projector and the Sony. I have already re-positioned the front left and right speakers (Triton 1's) and re-run Arc and things sound very good. Seating is 16 feet from the projector screen, and the tv/cart combination will be about 11 feet from the viewing area. I'm looking for opinions and suggestions, but in theory I 'think' this should look and sound fine.
Details for the tv cart are listed below.

Hold TV's up to 55" to 110"
Can hold a maximum weight of 140 kg / 308 Lbs
VESA standards compliant from 75x75 to 1200x600mm
Commercial grade wheels of 70mm (2.75") diameter
2 of 4 Wheels are lockable with feet
Height from ground (TV) is 1860mm or 73.22" (Highest fixation holes in the back of TV). It's also possible to install it at 1700mm (66.93") from the ground.
Fixed component's shelf at 710mm (28") from ground.
Dimensions of the shelf: 450x945mm (17.7" x 37.25")
Bottom shelf at 130mm (5.12") fro the ground
Cart's weight: 40 kg / 100 lbs (Approx)
In heavy duty steel
Black powder coated paint
Hardware and manual included.
Easy and quick installation
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rolling-tv-cart-for-led-plasma-lcd-55-to-110.png
Views:	72
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	2608188  
post #758 of 907 Old 08-28-2019, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked: 1637
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by got_hd-dvd View Post
I've received my Geek Squad date from Best Buy, scheduled for the day after the Sony 85Z9G delivery.
I'm going to use a rolling tv cart with with the 85Z9G, so i can position it in front of my 158 inch 2.35:1 theater screen but still be able to move it out of the way when desired.
The cart has already arrived, and seems like it will be fine for the job. I have an extra GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL that will be placed on the cart, under the 85Z9G. This way I will not need to re-position my center channel when I switch between projector and the Sony. I have already re-positioned the front left and right speakers (Triton 1's) and re-run Arc and things sound very good. Seating is 16 feet from the projector screen, and the tv/cart combination will be about 11 feet from the viewing area. I'm looking for opinions and suggestions, but in theory I 'think' this should look and sound fine.
Details for the tv cart are listed below.

Hold TV's up to 55" to 110"
Can hold a maximum weight of 140 kg / 308 Lbs
VESA standards compliant from 75x75 to 1200x600mm
Commercial grade wheels of 70mm (2.75") diameter
2 of 4 Wheels are lockable with feet
Height from ground (TV) is 1860mm or 73.22" (Highest fixation holes in the back of TV). It's also possible to install it at 1700mm (66.93") from the ground.
Fixed component's shelf at 710mm (28") from ground.
Dimensions of the shelf: 450x945mm (17.7" x 37.25")
Bottom shelf at 130mm (5.12") fro the ground
Cart's weight: 40 kg / 100 lbs (Approx)
In heavy duty steel
Black powder coated paint
Hardware and manual included.
Easy and quick installation

Please post pics of your setup once finished. Thanks in advance.

LG 77C8, Sony 75x940E, LG 65B7, LG 65EF9500, LG 55E6, LG 55UB8200, 2 TCL 49S515's
2 Apple 4K TVs, 2 LG UP970's, 2 Samsung UBD-K8500s, WD 4TB NAS
Nvidia Shield, Wii U, Playstation 3
post #759 of 907 Old 08-29-2019, 07:00 AM

a little off topic - wireless atmos & dts:x transmitter

my Sony 85Z9G will be directly connected to my OPPO UDP-203 for video, and I will use the 2nd hdmi out for lossless audio. Since this will require an inconvenient 25 foot (or more) cable run to the Anthem MRX 1120, i'm hoping for alternative suggestions. Can anyone recommend a hdmi Atmos & DTS:X compatible wireless audio transmitter & receiver combo? This will be for hdmi audio only, it will never need to carry the video signal. And there will be good line of sight between transmitter and receiver, hopefully this will ensure good signal integrity. I'd love to know if anyone has any first hand experience with this type of connection.
post #760 of 907 Old 08-30-2019, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quick question for the Z9G TV owners here:
Did anyone apply the new v6.6520 firmware update? If so, any issue post-install?

Thank you,
Ed.
post #761 of 907 Old 09-05-2019, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 874
Anybody know if there are any New TV announcements at IFA?

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Denon X4500H AVR
Klipsch 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos with Martin Logan 1000W SUB
post #762 of 907 Old 09-05-2019, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
By Sony?

No. I was looking forward to it myself but the only things Sony announced were smartphone, photocamera and earphones related. *yawn*

Other then that, TP Vision/Philips announced a couple of OLEDs and a projector, Samsung announced a 55" 8K LCD and Panasonic showed a dual layer LCD prototype as well as a transparent OLED. And just prior to IFA, LG announced an 88" 8K OLED and a 75" 8K LCD while TCL showed a LCD that can be watched horizontal as well as vertical. Double *yawn*.

Bring on CES 2020!
post #763 of 907 Old 09-05-2019, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
By Sony?

No. I was looking forward to it myself but the only things Sony announced were smartphone, photocamera and earphones related. *yawn*

Other then that, TP Vision/Philips announced a couple of OLEDs and a projector, Samsung announced a 55" 8K LCD and Panasonic showed a dual layer LCD prototype as well as a transparent OLED. And just prior to IFA, LG announced an 88" 8K OLED and a 75" 8K LCD while TCL showed a LCD that can be watched horizontal as well as vertical. Double *yawn*.

Bring on CES 2020!
Yeah by Sony. But the only thing I heard about was an OLED from Amazon, only available in the UK and Europe.

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Denon X4500H AVR
post #764 of 907 Old 09-05-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

A 55 inch 8K television from Samsung makes no sense! I was hoping for A Sony 75 inch 8K LCD but maybe we will see something at CES 2020

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Denon X4500H AVR

Last edited by bobbino421; 09-05-2019 at 12:18 PM.
post #765 of 907 Old 09-08-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Reyes View Post
Quick question for the Z9G TV owners here:
Did anyone apply the new v6.6520 firmware update? If so, any issue post-install?

Thank you,
Ed.

That firmware update does not appear to apply to our Z9Gs.
post #766 of 907 Old 09-08-2019, 09:04 PM

BTW I'm pretty sure Dolby Atmos over eARC is not yet supported on this TV (and other similar 2019 G series TVs). My installer said something about this coming later this year in a firmware update. What this means is that TV streaming apps like Netflix and Vudu cannot send high-quality Dolby Atmos back to the receiver via HDMI eARC. Compressed Dolby Atmos works over standard ARC (as it does with my 900F) and "Dolby Surround" 5.1 seems to work via eARC, but Netflix and Vudu will not send Dolby Atmos to the receiver when eARC is enabled (via the eARC "Auto" setting in TV Sound Output settings).

Not really a deal-breaker since high-quality Dolby Atmos from streaming apps is supported via Xbox One going directly into the receiver... but just a heads-up!
post #767 of 907 Old 09-08-2019, 10:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2388 Post(s)
Liked: 3203
z9g

Quote:
BTW I'm pretty sure Dolby Atmos over eARC is not yet supported on this TV (and other similar 2019 G series TVs). My installer said something about this coming later this year in a firmware update. What this means is that TV streaming apps like Netflix and Vudu cannot send high-quality Dolby Atmos back to the receiver via HDMI eARC. Compressed Dolby Atmos works over standard ARC (as it does with my 900F) and "Dolby Surround" 5.1 seems to work via eARC, but Netflix and Vudu will not send Dolby Atmos to the receiver when eARC is enabled (via the eARC "Auto" setting in TV Sound Output settings).

Not really a deal-breaker since high-quality Dolby Atmos from streaming apps is supported via Xbox One going directly into the receiver... but just a heads-up!

There is no “high quality” streaming Atmos on the Xbox or any other platform. There never will be.

It is always going to originate as Dolby Digital Plus.

Both the Xbox One and Apple TV internally decode the lossy DD+ Atmos tracks and send them out via a format called Dolby Atmos MAT, which is a PCM package.... to send that will require eARC.

But the original steaming encode will always be lossy.
post #768 of 907 Old 09-09-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
Quote:

There is no “high quality” streaming Atmos on the Xbox or any other platform. There never will be.

It is always going to originate as Dolby Digital Plus.

Both the Xbox One and Apple TV internally decode the lossy DD+ Atmos tracks and send them out via a format called Dolby Atmos MAT, which is a PCM package.... to send that will require eARC.

But the original steaming encode will always be lossy.
You are correct about that. I was mixing up the ability for the Xbox to do Dolby pass-through for Blu-ray discs at full quality, which is not supported over ARC. I'm not sure if the Xbox supports pass-through of the Dolby stream over eARC but in any case it seems the TV does not (yet) support Dolby Atmos over eARC.
post #769 of 907 Old 09-10-2019, 03:39 PM

finally, due date is here.

Best Buy scheduled delivery between 3-6 pm tomorrow, Sept. 11th. Ordered Aug 11th. Will remove from packaging, inspect for damage, and power cycle a few times. Geek Squad installation is scheduled for the next day. Wish me luck.
CygnusX2112, LG4k and lucacow like this.
post #770 of 907 Old 09-10-2019, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Best Buy scheduled delivery between 3-6 pm tomorrow, Sept. 11th. Ordered Aug 11th. Will remove from packaging, inspect for damage, and power cycle a few times. Geek Squad installation is scheduled for the next day. Wish me luck.
Congratulations and good luck. I went to local Bestbuy to take a look but they didn't have any on the floor and the salesperson wasn't sure if they were going to get one for the showroom/floor.
Maggiemargo likes this.
post #771 of 907 Old 09-11-2019, 12:29 PM

Sony 85Z9G delivered

big box, heavy contents. all i could to today is inspect the package and glance at the screen. will need the geek squad to do the 'heavy lifting' tomorrow. wasn't even able to plug it in, for a power on test. it doesn't ship with the feet installed, and its a 2 person job to install them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20190911_15_25_58_Pro.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	2614100   Click image for larger version

Name:	quick 1.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	2614102   Click image for larger version

Name:	quick 2.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	2614104  
CygnusX2112 and grtuck like this.
post #772 of 907 Old 09-11-2019, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 113
You are in for a treat!
post #773 of 907 Old 09-12-2019, 07:43 PM

Sony XBR-85Z9G

did a few things today - got the tv mounted on its stand, ran Anthem Arc Genesis then watched a couple of familiar films

Ghostbusters: Answer the Call 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray (2016 film)
Mad Max: Fury Road 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray (2015 film)

source was my Oppo UDP-203 directly connected to the Z9G, and the audio directly connected to my Anthem MRX 1120.

both films looked and sounded great. I did no real tweaking to the Z9G picture, but will say with certainty that the image was very good. lots of bright detail. colors definitely popped.
looking forward to tomorrow.
CygnusX2112 and lucacow like this.
post #774 of 907 Old 09-12-2019, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Has anyone migrated to this from their Z9D just wondering? What are the differences like, HDR performance, contrast, blooming control, color etc? Is it worth the upgrade?

Display Sony 65"ZD9
post #775 of 907 Old 09-15-2019, 03:23 PM

Liked: 13
Mine arrives Wednesday, after seeing the HDR demo I was blown away. Then they said two years zero interest, bam, lets do this.
CygnusX2112 and LG4k like this.

WillaimDeansPlumbing.com
post #776 of 907 Old 09-15-2019, 06:42 PM

Z9G in use

I've done my best to tinker with the set over the last few days, and have decided it's lucky that i'm going to be using it exclusively for watching films (4k and blu-ray) in my dedicated theater because - not a fan of the android user interface and in addition to that the small amount of 4k Netflix/Amazon content I've browsed using the z9g just doesn't wow me at all. This is only an initial reaction and might change down the road, but probably won't

since last posting I've watched (with the Oppo UDP-203)
Alien: 40th Anniversary Edition - 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray (1979 film)
Lucy 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray (2014 film)
The Last Witch Hunter 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray (2015 film)
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K Ultra HD Dolby Vision Blu-ray Steelbook (2019 film)

John Wick 3 looked the best of all of them, and they all looked (from one degree or another) excellent
BRAC and grtuck like this.
post #777 of 907 Old 09-16-2019, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked: 1637
Quote:
I've done my best to tinker with the set over the last few days, and have decided it's lucky that i'm going to be using it exclusively for watching films (4k and blu-ray) in my dedicated theater because - not a fan of the android user interface and in addition to that the small amount of 4k Netflix/Amazon content I've browsed using the z9g just doesn't wow me at all. This is only an initial reaction and might change down the road, but probably won't

since last posting I've watched (with the Oppo UDP-203)
Alien: 40th Anniversary Edition - 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray (1979 film)
Lucy 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray (2014 film)
The Last Witch Hunter 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray (2015 film)
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K Ultra HD Dolby Vision Blu-ray Steelbook (2019 film)

John Wick 3 looked the best of all of them, and they all looked (from one degree or another) excellent

Can we get pics of your setup?
LG4k likes this.

LG 77C8, Sony 75x940E, LG 65B7, LG 65EF9500, LG 55E6, LG 55UB8200, 2 TCL 49S515's
2 Apple 4K TVs, 2 LG UP970's, 2 Samsung UBD-K8500s, WD 4TB NAS
Nvidia Shield, Wii U, Playstation 3
post #778 of 907 Old 09-16-2019, 01:00 PM

Z9G in place in theater

terrible cell phone photo's taken in my light controlled theater, but they will give you an idea of my setup.
prior to the z9g I was using this room with my Epson LS10000 projecter and 158 inch 2.35 screen. one row of theater seating (3 seats) 16 feet from the screen.
room dimensions are 20 feet wide by 40 feet long and 9.5 foot ceilings.
the sony z9g is six feet from the back wall, putting the seating 10 feet in front of the z9g.
the surround system is an anthem MRX 1120 and the power amp is a monolith 7. the anthem powers the 4 in-ceiling speakers.
speakers are all Goldenear Tritons in a 7.6.4 configuration. the primary source is an oppo udp-203.

monolith 7 only powers the rear four channels
I have an anthem mca 30 powering the front the channels
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20190916_13_12_59_Pro.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	2616408   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20190916_13_13_18_Pro.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	336.9 KB
ID:	2616410   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20190916_13_13_36_Pro.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	2616412   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20190916_13_14_07_Pro.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	2616418   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20190916_13_15_13_Pro.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	2616424  

Name:	WP_20190916_13_16_47_Pro.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	2616426   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20190913_13_31_53_Pro.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	2616428  

Last edited by got_hd-dvd; 09-16-2019 at 01:04 PM. Reason: forgot to mention
post #779 of 907 Old 09-17-2019, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 175
[QUOTE=got_hd-dvd;58566254]terrible cell phone photo's taken in my light controlled theater, but they will give you an idea of my setup.
prior to the z9g I was using this room with my Epson LS10000 projecter and 158 inch 2.35 screen. one row of theater seating (3 seats) 16 feet from the screen./QUOTE]

I'd like to know how the size of a scope image on the Sony, from 10', compares to the size of the same image on your PJ from 16'? Just what your eyes told you when you first tried it, no scientific analysis.

I'll bet a 16x9 image actually appears bigger on the Sony, but you're losing a lot of size with a scope image. Still, sitting 6' closer makes a big difference.
post #780 of 907 Old 09-17-2019, 07:05 AM

[quote=egrady;58568964]
Quote:
terrible cell phone photo's taken in my light controlled theater, but they will give you an idea of my setup.
prior to the z9g I was using this room with my Epson LS10000 projecter and 158 inch 2.35 screen. one row of theater seating (3 seats) 16 feet from the screen./QUOTE]

I'd like to know how the size of a scope image on the Sony, from 10', compares to the size of the same image on your PJ from 16'? Just what your eyes told you when you first tried it, no scientific analysis.

I'll bet a 16x9 image actually appears bigger on the Sony, but you're losing a lot of size with a scope image. Still, sitting 6' closer makes a big difference.
158 inch 2.35 ratio 1.1 gain screen from 16 feet viewing distance is a terrific experience (however my epson ls10000 sometimes struggled with brightness at that screen size)

compared with the z9g 85 inch display watching 2.35 ratio material - it's a good size, it fills most of my field of view, and in my 100% blackout room, the image 'floats in space'.
my other tv is a Samsung UN78KS9500F (4k uhd 78 inch curved) and from the same seating distance/ratio it is significantly less immersive.

after you factor in the other improvements of the sony z9g - there really isn't any contest - the sony wins.

only downside was needing to re-position my front and center speakers, I had to move them closer into the room in order to better line them up with the closer placement of the tv. If I used my theater room for more than just films and was concerned with compromising overall 2 channel audio (due to less optimal speaker placement) this might have been a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page