AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   z9g (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/3041310-z9g.html)

tdx 04-26-2019 11:19 AM

I obviously haven't seen this set so i might be wrong but I'm worried about the black levels on this set. If, like the reviewer says, this is IPS panel with the wide angle filtwer and sometimes gray blacks, it will be hard to stomach the 13K asking price. I mean, I'm sure most other PQ aspects will be great, but on a tv this size black level is very important.

I was waiting on feedback for this set to decide if i should return my Samsung 82" 8K while i can and get this instead. I have a feeling I'll keep my TV. It doesn't have the best blacks either but they're definitely deep enough, and the fact that this TV would cost 5K more (I got a great deal and only paid 8K for mine) makes me think the PQ difference will not be worth it.

In general I feel these first 8K sets have a lot of raw, untapped power (the Samsung One Connect Box is as big and gets as hot as a small desktop PC), but that it will take a couple of versions before the manufacturers learn to harness and control all that power to give the best picture possible without any drawbacks. On my set for example the picture can be astonishing on some shots, and then fall apart on others, either because the dimming gets confused, the colors get washed out etc. It feels it's not fully baked yet.

Again until we get reviews and see it with our own eyes we won't know how good the Sony really is and i could end up changing my mind and getting it. But somehow I doubt it. We'll see.

Coercion Shaman 04-26-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdx (Post 57958384)
I obviously haven't seen this set so i might be wrong but I'm worried about the black levels on this set. If, like the reviewer says, this is IPS panel with the wide angle filtwer and sometimes gray blacks, it will be hard to stomach the 13K asking price. I mean, I'm sure most other PQ aspects will be great, but on a tv this size black level is very important..

If it were IPS, there wouldn't have been a need for a X-Wide layer. That just doesn't make any sense to even say. Pretty sure he stated he would verify the panel as IPS or VA when he had the opportunity, correct?

tdx 04-26-2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman (Post 57958438)
If it were IPS, there wouldn't have been a need for a X-Wide layer. That just doesn't make any sense to even say. Pretty sure he stated he would verify the panel as IPS or VA when he had the opportunity, correct?

That is true. I'm not so worried about the type of panel as I am about the black levels. He is not the first one to notice that black levels and blooming were not perfect, the CES hands on reviewers were also noticing issues with blacks, blooming and black bars that were not consistently black. But as I said we won't know until these are out and about...

DJR662 04-26-2019 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdx (Post 57958574)
That is true. I'm not so worried about the type of panel as I am about the black levels. He is not the first one to notice that black levels and blooming were not perfect, the CES hands on reviewers were also noticing issues with blacks, blooming and black bars that were not consistently black. But as I said we won't know until these are out and about...

You have to admit though, that is not exactly encouraging. I'm getting a Z9F deja vu from all of this actually. :(

To be perfectly honest, I have a gut feeling the Z9G won't cut it all the way like most would have hoped for. If true, I think that would be a serious problem for a TV in this price range.

Hope I'm wrong though..

tdx 04-26-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR662 (Post 57958692)
You have to admit though, that is not exactly encouraging. I'm getting a Z9F deja vu from all of this actually. :(

To be perfectly honest, I have a gut feeling the Z9G won't cut it all the way like most would have hoped for. If true, I think that would be a serious problem for a TV in this price range.

Hope I'm wrong though..

Your fears/gut feeling echo mine. Think about it: when Sony released their very first 4K 85" TV with no local dimming at all, it cost 25 grand and didn't drop much until newer models replaced it. Now of course this was a while ago but i have a feeling they're releasing these first 8K sets to say they're competing with Samsung/LG but the "real" ones which will be worth buying will be next gen.

I wouldn't have even bought the Samsung 8K for the same reason but my previous TV conked out and had to choose a replacement. No way I would have paid the full 10K when their 4K set of the same size retails for 6.4K. But since i was able to get it at a special price and only paid 1.500 more I said why not and I'm perfectly willing to live with the shortcomings and the fact that net year's sets will be cheaper and better.

Honestly I think Samsung did the right thing by pricing their top of the line 8K for this year at 10K, knowing there would be sales to bring it down even further. Under 10K for a flagship model with brand new tech is reasonable IMHO. But the Sony at 13K is not as enticing, even I wanted to spend this much for a TV. If we were talking about the OLED 8K sure but that will be priced even higher.

Again lets wait and see how it all shakes out. Would love to be proven wrong too...

egrady 04-26-2019 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR662 (Post 57958692)

Hope I'm wrong though..

I'm not buying until I know the zone count and whether or not it will support 8k 60hz at launch or at some future date. A Samsung zone count, or even worse a Z9F zone count, it's DQ'd. I'm more optimistic we'll see full bandwidth HDMI 2.1 and 8k 60hz.

DJR662 04-27-2019 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egrady (Post 57960574)
I'm not buying until I know the zone count and whether or not it will support 8k 60hz at launch or at some future date. A Samsung zone count, or even worse a Z9F zone count, it's DQ'd. I'm more optimistic we'll see full bandwidth HDMI 2.1 and 8k 60hz.

Personally I have no interest in HDMI 2.1 or 8K/60hz at this point (I probably never will). Also I don't care for apps, streaming or anything else "smart" and I could have done without those integrated speakers the Z9G has.

All I would need is a TV that I can use as a monitor with picture quality that would exceed that of the 75Z9D.

Come to think of it. I'm curious whatever happened to that 4000 nits 85" BMD prototype that Sony showed at CES 2016. Now THAT is something I would certainly be interested in having!!

bobbino421 04-27-2019 07:38 PM

62 Attachment(s)
That prototype is the precursor to the Z9G.
We don’t know how bright that tv will get but I doubt it will be 4000 nits, maybe it hits 2500-3000. But prototypes rarely come to fruition especially to exact specs.
Also that prototype was more about showcasing the X1 ultimate chip capabilities than the tv itself.
Hopefully Xwide angle does not kill this tv too much in the blooming department. The upside it has BMD so it should be an improvement over the Z9F which I still think is fine television.

DJR662 04-28-2019 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbino421 (Post 57964984)
That prototype is the precursor to the Z9G.
We don’t know how bright that tv will get but I doubt it will be 4000 nits, maybe it hits 2500-3000. But prototypes rarely come to fruition especially to exact specs.
Also that prototype was more about showcasing the X1 ultimate chip capabilities than the tv itself.
Hopefully Xwide angle does not kill this tv too much in the blooming department. The upside it has BMD so it should be an improvement over the Z9F which I still think is fine television.

I think perhaps you are confusing the 2016 and 2018 prototypes? I would be inclined to think the 2016 had the X1E while the 2018 one has the X1U. Also the 2016 was "just" 4K, had BMD with no X-wide obviously (YAY!), who knows perhaps even 3D and from what I have read could hit 4000 nits of peak brightness. Since the 75" has around 800 zones, I am thinking the 2016 85" prototype would have around 1000 zones then?

All things considered, that 2016 prototype would have everything I need and would make a perfect TV for me.

Ted99 04-28-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman (Post 57956826)
You would think Sony (since this is at their HQ), would have a better setup to control the ceiling lights to minimize the reflections on the set. That was.... horrible.

I'm going to replace my 4K 79" Sony with an 85" set, but the reflected light on my 79" is UNACCEPTABLE, compared to what Samsung is doing with their anti-reflective coatings on their 82"/85". The Z9G's reflectivity is apparently the same as my old 79". I have a FP setup in a batcave for movies, but my TV watching is done in a living room with windows. When I purchased my 79" Sony, all the TV's had a similar problem with screen reflections, so I was free to go with the superior processing of Sony. Not so today. The large Samsung's have vastly improved AR treatment, so that I can actually SEE the detail and HDR highlights in my bright living room. So, I'm going to forgo the superior Sony image processing to purchase the Samsung, strictly because of the AR treatment. I have a suspicion that the people that are going to purchase these large TV's are not going to be putting them in batcaves--they, and I, have a home theater for that. It's for my living room--and my living room has windows (lots of them). Wake up Sony and start worrying about screen reflectivity!

gjohnl 04-28-2019 09:43 AM

5 Attachment(s)
You guys have to read this article, I can't believe someone who gets paid to write about this industry can be so wrong in what they are reporting. Literally everything he says about sony is actually about lg. http://4k.com/news/sony-samsung-figh...-matter-25849/

DJR662 04-28-2019 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted99 (Post 57966696)
I'm going to replace my 4K 79" Sony with an 85" set, but the reflected light on my 79" is UNACCEPTABLE, compared to what Samsung is doing with their anti-reflective coatings on their 82"/85". The Z9G's reflectivity is apparently the same as my old 79". I have a FP setup in a batcave for movies, but my TV watching is done in a living room with windows. When I purchased my 79" Sony, all the TV's had a similar problem with screen reflections, so I was free to go with the superior processing of Sony. Not so today. The large Samsung's have vastly improved AR treatment, so that I can actually SEE the detail and HDR highlights in my bright living room. So, I'm going to forgo the superior Sony image processing to purchase the Samsung, strictly because of the AR treatment. I have a suspicion that the people that are going to purchase these large TV's are not going to be putting them in batcaves--they, and I, have a home theater for that. It's for my living room--and my living room has windows (lots of them). Wake up Sony and start worrying about screen reflectivity!

First off, I'm biased since I'm a huge Sony fan but even so, I think you're making a mistake by going with Samsung instead of Sony. You said it yourself, their processing is superior (and probably the best in the industry?). Why sacrifice that over anything else?

Just out of curiosity, what 79" Sony TV do you own?

Ted99 04-28-2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR662 (Post 57967090)
First off, I'm biased since I'm a huge Sony fan but even so, I think you're making a mistake by going with Samsung instead of Sony. You said it yourself, their processing is superior (and probably the best in the industry?). Why sacrifice that over anything else?

Just out of curiosity, what 79" Sony TV do you own?

If I can't see the superior processing in the daylight, it doesn't matter. I currently have the 2015 XBR79" with the side speakers. Had the 70" Qualia before it, so I've consistently gone with the top-model Sony for superior picture (when the Optical Block was functioning). And the Qualia was the same price, then, as the new 85" is now--with inflation a lot more. Now that I've seen what a difference a good AR treatment can do for seeing all the details in a superior display in a room with many windows, I'm not going to accept anything less. I'm sure Sony could do it if they thought it was important. Well, it IS important to me.

BRAC 04-28-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted99 (Post 57967160)
If I can't see the superior processing in the daylight, it doesn't matter. I currently have the 2015 XBR79" with the side speakers. Had the 70" Qualia before it, so I've consistently gone with the top-model Sony for superior picture (when the Optical Block was functioning). And the Qualia was the same price, then, as the new 85" is now--with inflation a lot more. Now that I've seen what a difference a good AR treatment can do for seeing all the details in a superior display in a room with many windows, I'm not going to accept anything less. I'm sure Sony could do it if they thought it was important. Well, it IS important to me.

I would have to agree with you here. I have the 75” Z9F, brilliant tv, and my only complaints with the set are reflection handling and blooming. Contrary to popular opinion, usually by non owners, the blacks are great.

I have a Q90R coming in on May 9 for comparison, mainly because I’m not that happy with the reflection handling on the Z9F. Daytime viewing and light reflection is important to me, as I’m not watching in a pitch black room all the time, and like you I’m willing to give up slightly better PQ to get it.

On a side note.....the reflection handling on the Z9G in that video is hideous and not acceptable for a set this expensive imo. It was all I could see and think about through that whole video. Talk about taking you out of the experience!

Ted99 04-28-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brac (Post 57967288)
i would have to agree with you here. I have the 75” z9f, brilliant tv, and my only complaints with the set are reflection handling and blooming. Contrary to popular opinion, usually by non owners, the blacks are great.

I have a q90r coming in on may 9 for comparison, mainly because i’m not that happy with the reflection handling on the z9f. Daytime viewing and light reflection is important to me, as i’m not watching in a pitch black room all the time, and like you i’m willing to give up slightly better pq to get it.

On a side note.....the reflection handling on the z9g in that video is hideous and not acceptable for a set this expensive imo. It was all i could see and think about through that whole video. Talk about taking you out of the experience!

amen!

DJR662 04-28-2019 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted99 (Post 57967160)

FWIW I respect your opinion in this matter.

Cleveland Plasma 04-29-2019 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New_to_4K (Post 57930930)
I don’t see how an 85” $13k 8k TV is directly in competition with a 55”, 65” and 77” less than $8k 4K OLEDs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glassbil (Post 57844158)
I really wanna believe that z9g is a tv that will surpass z9d but now that sony has oled I dont think they are concerned going the extra mile to make a total oled killer.

Its hard to say until they are released. On the flip side OLED is an LG thing not a Sony thing, because without LG Sony would not have OLED. That would be a reason for Sony to make the best LED again ;)

maxl 04-30-2019 03:01 PM

So if money were not relevant and 8K is not important (but nice), what would be the best TV to get 82" q900, 82" q90 (supposedly higher contrast) or 85" Z9G?

egrady 04-30-2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxl (Post 57978526)
So if money were not relevant and 8K is not important (but nice), what would be the best TV to get 82" q900, 82" q90 (supposedly higher contrast) or 85" Z9G?

There are two variables that make your question, which is a good one, impossible to answer. First, the Sony is still an unknown at this point. Second, there is no clear cut consensus which is better for 4k, the Q90 or the Q900.

The wildcard is the 2018 85Q900. If the wide viewing angle isn't relevant to you it may be the best option. To my knowledge there are no reviews which measured it's native and ANSI contrast ratio. The 2019 "improvements" may be in the eye of the beholder. Especially if contrast is your #1 priority.

ferro 05-03-2019 04:54 AM

The full specifications for the 85Z9G are now also available (previously only for the 98"):

https://www.sony.com/electronics/tel...specifications

I notice that the power consumption for the 85" is 900 W, which is a lot. For comparison:

85" X900F: 380 W
85" X950G: 417 W
75" Z9D: 428 W
100" Z9D: 767 W

I hope this translates into high peak brightness numbers.

bobbino421 05-03-2019 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferro (Post 57992016)
The full specifications for the 85Z9G are now also available (previously only for the 98"):

I notice that the power consumption for the 85" is 900 W, which is a lot. For comparison:

I would need a new tv stand for 85 inch the legs are almost 62 inches apart and the tv with legs weighs 165 pounds!

egrady 05-03-2019 02:56 PM

I can live with the weight and it being an energy pig IF it's because of the high zone count!

LondonBenji 05-04-2019 12:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by egrady (Post 57994962)
I can live with the weight and it being an energy pig IF it's because of the high zone count!

Much more likely to be significantly more LEDs for the zone count (one would hope anyway....) and maybe a touch of extra brightness!

sjchmura 05-04-2019 07:54 PM

Led are pretty light. Heat sink is heavy. Is that thing water cooled?

Lyner 05-05-2019 08:57 AM

Hi guys, a long-time lurking friend from China would like to chime in here. Today I visited one of the top chain retailers (think it as a BB of Chinese version) in Shenzhen city.

A salesman, from Sony department there, strongly recommended the 75” Z9F to me and said it was now sold at a very tempting price (which I concurred). He also explained it was because the company was going to announce another replacement of their flagship *4K LCD* TV (size in 75” and below only) in late May, as soon as they could clear all the remaining Z9Fs. As I hadn’t heard of any news like that before, I double confirmed with him and the guy answered quite firmly and even suggested “it is going to be the Z9G in 4K version with MBD technology”.

That really made me feel instantly exited, because I had been thinking over and over between some of the top 2019 4K models from Sony and Samsung for a long time. While I might love the PQ overall of Samsung which many professionals have reviewed, I still prefer to get a Sony because it has some other features I like. And most importantly, I need 4K ONLY.

So, have any of you heard any news like this? Or do you believe what the clerk implied is gonna be true?

BRAC 05-05-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyner (Post 58001784)
Hi guys, a long-time lurking friend from China would like to chime in here. Today I visited one of the top chain retailers (think it as a BB of Chinese version) in Shenzhen city.

A salesman, from Sony department there, strongly recommended the 75” Z9F to me and said it was now sold at a very tempting price (which I concurred). He also explained it was because the company was going to announce another replacement of their flagship *4K LCD* TV (size in 75” and below only) in late May, as soon as they could clear all the remaining Z9Fs. As I hadn’t heard of any news like that before, I double confirmed with him and the guy answered quite firmly and even suggested “it is going to be the Z9G in 4K version with MBD technology”.

That really made me feel instantly exited, because I had been thinking over and over between some of the top 2019 4K models from Sony and Samsung for a long time. While I might love the PQ overall of Samsung which many professionals have reviewed, I still prefer to get a Sony because it has some other features I like. And most importantly, I need 4K ONLY.

So, have any of you heard any news like this? Or do you believe what the clerk implied is gonna be true?

Interesting. I have not heard this personally, but it makes perfect sense. I see no other reason for Sony to be clearing out the Z9F, as this would leave an empty space in their LCD product line.

JD23 05-05-2019 11:53 AM

Quote:

That would be great news if true, as none of the 2019 TVs announced so far (OLED and LCD) meet all of my requirements. Actually, I think I would be happy with something like a Sony version of the Q90R, which would essentially be a 65" Z9G.

moonhawk 05-05-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Too bad no 85".

DJR662 05-05-2019 04:51 PM

A 75" Z9G 4K model could be interesting...if it exceeds the 75Z9D and does NOT have X-wide angle. :)

shoman94 05-05-2019 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR662 (Post 58003644)
A 75" Z9G 4K model could be interesting...if it exceeds the 75Z9D and does NOT have X-wide angle. :)

Are people really believing there is going to be 65 and 75 Z9G's?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

moonhawk 05-05-2019 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoman94 (Post 58003758)
Are people really believing there is going to be 65 and 75 Z9G's?

Why not?

shoman94 05-05-2019 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonhawk (Post 58003888)
Why not?

They would have announced it. They announced the A9G in 55 and 65 to replace the A9F, why wouldn't they have for the 65 and 75 Z9G.... They didn't so I wouldn't expect it to happen. Of course I could be wrong.

G-Rex 05-05-2019 07:23 PM

Sometimes Sony likes to stagger announcements, particularly with high end tvs, so hopefully it’s the the case here. It would be a bit unusual that they announced a new model, but withheld info re a particular size. The 65” size could have also been withheld for strategic reasons re competitors. Who knows if it’s coming, but I certainly hope so.

JD23 05-05-2019 09:09 PM

Sony has had a strange release cadence lately for its high-end TVs, so anything is possible. The A9F was released in September, only to have its replacement announced four months later. The Z9F was released in September and is already in the processed of being discontinued.

Lyner 05-05-2019 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD23 (Post 58002496)
That would be great news if true, as none of the 2019 TVs announced so far (OLED and LCD) meet all of my requirements. Actually, I think I would be happy with something like a Sony version of the Q90R, which would essentially be a 65" Z9G.

I’m in the same boat. Just looking forward to seeing a “refurbished Z9D of 2019”, with higher brightness, better input lag, wider viewing angle and some hdmi 2.1 features.

If that is the case, I think I would be fine to trade *slightly* a bit of contrast ratio for all of them.

shoman94 05-06-2019 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyner (Post 58004866)
I’m in the same boat. Just looking forward to seeing a “refurbished Z9D of 2019”, with higher brightness, better input lag, wider viewing angle and some hdmi 2.1 features.

If that is the case, I think I would be fine to trade *slightly* a bit of contrast ratio for all of them.

The Z9F already does all that. [emoji2373]

Menarini 05-06-2019 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 58004226)
Sometimes Sony likes to stagger announcements, particularly with high end tvs, so hopefully it’s the the case here. It would be a bit unusual that they announced a new model, but withheld info re a particular size. The 65” size could have also been withheld for strategic reasons re competitors. Who knows if it’s coming, but I certainly hope so.

Sony does two launch cycles every year of late, i have been told by a sony guy that there are a couple of new lcd's coming in the second launch cycle in september And those lcd's will be on demo at the ifa event. He did not specifically say they were 4k smaller sized versions of z9g, just said new lcd models, so we'll have to wait and see what they announce. the 85 z9g is out of reach of most 'average' buyers and also too large to fit in some places (and sony understand that), a 65 and 75 version would be good news.

shoman94 05-06-2019 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 58005160)
Sony does two launch cycles every year of late, i have been told by a sony guy that there are a couple of new lcd's coming in the second launch cycle in september And those lcd's will be on demo at the ifa event. He did not specifically say they were 4k smaller sized versions of z9g, just said new lcd models, so we'll have to wait and see what they announce. the 85 z9g is out of reach of most 'average' buyers and also too large to fit in some places (and sony understand that), a 65 and 75 version would be good news.

That would be good for sure. That will make about 1.5 years the Z9F was announced.

Menarini 05-06-2019 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoman94 (Post 58005124)

the z9f only has two things going for it , uniformity and motion, both of which are great, rest everything about the z9f has mediocre written all over it. z9f isn't a good tv to put in a theater room/batcave for movie watching (even my local store guy whose job is to sell tv's says that). they omitted the best feature of the z9d , BMD (sony's best local dimming system ever) on the z9f. BMD is making a return on the z9g and that's the biggest draw towards it.

DJR662 05-06-2019 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 58005168)
BMD is making a return on the z9g and that's the biggest draw towards it.

And X-wide angle will highly likely spoil the party.

Menarini 05-06-2019 03:55 AM

Coming to the z9g, the biggest eyebrow raising thing i find is that according to sony's specs, the tv only supports a maximum resolution of 8k 30hz , being a native 8k tv. An 8k tv that can't do 8k 60 hz (let alone 120hz). the tv is supposed to have hdmi 2.1, but wont go above 30hz with 8k, i dont know why more people arent showing concern about this, you're paying >10000 usd for a 8k tv. It might have great contrast and brightness, but the resolution support is half baked. 8k tv's are new right now, in a couple more years they'll get technologically better , iron out the bugs and the prices will go down.

Lyner 05-06-2019 04:28 AM

z9g

Quote:

Basically yes, but traded by missing the MBD and losing too much contrast ratio which are more critical imho.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

DJR662 05-06-2019 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 58005210)
Coming to the z9g, the biggest eyebrow raising thing i find is that according to sony's specs, the tv only supports a maximum resolution of 8k 30hz , being a native 8k tv. An 8k tv that can't do 8k 60 hz (let alone 120hz). the tv is supposed to have hdmi 2.1, but wont go above 30hz with 8k, i dont know why more people arent showing concern about this, you're paying >10000 usd for a 8k tv. It might have great contrast and brightness, but the resolution support is half baked. 8k tv's are new right now, in a couple more years they'll get technologically better , iron out the bugs and the prices will go down.

But what do you really need 8K @ 60hz or even 120hz for right now or even in the near future?

sjchmura 05-06-2019 08:09 AM

Quote:

Now that’s funny.

ferro 05-06-2019 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 58005210)

I don't think the first generation of 8K TV's will be the most future proof. I will personally judge it as an ultra high-end 4K TV with 8K as a minor bonus. It may just be too early for 8K.

Other interesting 8K-related questions:
  • Is the SOC capable of processing and displaying 8K? Or will it process everything at 4K and let X1 Ultimate scale it up to 8K?
  • If the SOC is a Mediatek like all other Sony Android TV's then I note that Mediatek does not have any 8K TV products. Perhaps Sony is now using a non-Mediatek SOC? Or some unannounced Mediatek SOC?
  • Can Android TV apps even run at 8K?
  • Does the SOC have the power to process 8K youtube videos? Even 8K at 60FPS?

shoman94 05-06-2019 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 58005168)
the z9f only has two things going for it , uniformity and motion, both of which are great, rest everything about the z9f has mediocre written all over it. z9f isn't a good tv to put in a theater room/batcave for movie watching (even my local store guy whose job is to sell tv's says that). they omitted the best feature of the z9d , BMD (sony's best local dimming system ever) on the z9f. BMD is making a return on the z9g and that's the biggest draw towards it.

This is the problem with the uninformed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR662 (Post 58005200)

Definately has an effect.... no doubt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyner (Post 58005258)
Basically yes, but traded by missing the MBD and losing too much contrast ratio which are more critical imho.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

I don't think MBD has anything to do with it really. The X-Wide layer causes some additional blooming. The realy fix is just more zones period but in this case I'd rather have low end detail then crushing local dimming so thats what Sony needs to focus on.... Zone count.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjchmura (Post 58005916)
Now that’s funny.

I'm not sure what you are laughing at as it is fact. Is there some downsides...sure. Just like any tech and any TV on the market right now.

JD23 05-06-2019 08:39 AM

I think a Z9F with more zones and full HDMI 2.1 (VRR, etc.) would be the best LCD on the market and I hope such a set materializes in smaller sizes than the z9g. This rumor is enough to make me hold off on buying an OLED until the fall.

Menarini 05-06-2019 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoman94 (Post 58005988)
This is the problem with the uninformed.

You might be the only informed one in the room. If saying that z9f is a mediocre tv to be putting inside a theater room for movie watching makes me uninformed, then so be it. I evaluate the displays and form my own opinions. For a dark theater room, oled is still the best bet, the only alternative that can deliver 'oled like' blacks is a jvc d-ila 4k projector. Among tv's, the 75 z9d is the better option for such an environment though it still has some blooming. samjunk qleds are also not suitable for dark room viewing (no matter how much their marketing dept. keeps touting 'oled like' blacks every year). Will check out how the z9g performs, im not interested in getting a 8k tv right now, just curious to see how it compares relatively to the 75 z9d since this is their only tv after the z9d to have the BMD.

Menarini 05-06-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR662 (Post 58005200)

That's assuming that they did not make any improvement at all to the optical filter from the z9f and are still using the same one. Just because it is called x wide angle does not mean it must be the same as that used on the z9f. samjunk q90r uses an optical filter too but its impact on contrast performance is not as drastic as z9f.

BRAC 05-06-2019 09:25 AM

z9g

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 58006236)
You might be the only informed one in the room. If saying that z9f is a mediocre tv to be putting inside a theater room for movie watching makes me uninformed, then so be it. I evaluate the displays and form my own opinions. For a dark theater room, oled is still the best bet, the only alternative that can deliver 'oled like' blacks is a jvc d-ila 4k projector. Among tv's, the 75 z9d is the better option for such an environment though it still has some blooming. samjunk qleds are also not suitable for dark room viewing (no matter how much their marketing dept. keeps touting 'oled like' blacks every year). Will check out how the z9g performs, im not interested in getting a 8k tv right now, just curious to see how it compares relatively to the 75 z9d since this is their only tv after the z9d to have the BMD.

Who the heck is buying a 65” or 75” Z9F for a dark theater room?!

You can’t be serious with these nonsensical posts, at least I hope not.

Menarini 05-06-2019 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRAC (Post 58006354)
Who the heck is buying a 65” or 75” Z9F for a dark theater room?!

You can’t be serious with these nonsensical posts, at least I hope not.

I made the mediocre comment with a home theater viewing environment from the beginning, because that's how i watch movies, that's the only place i have. I use an oled and projector in the theater room. I don't have a central room with space to put a tv in. Actually we dont use any tv in the central (living) room.
And i wouldn't even want to watch movies in a bright room, if i had the option. Dark environments bring out the best in movie contrast.

shoman94 05-06-2019 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 58006236)

I was not calling you uninformed, I'm sorry I should have clarified that. The sales people or ppeoplle that only use reviews and maybe what someone else told them as certainty. Sure you need to research, read reviews and you try to inform yourself before purchasing I get that. The only realy way you can figure it out is trying it in your home in your environment. That is the true test. There is way more to Reference quality movie watching than OLED blacks. Some people just get so hung up on one piece.

DJR662 05-06-2019 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 58006276)
That's assuming that they did not make any improvement at all to the optical filter from the z9f and are still using the same one. Just because it is called x wide angle does not mean it must be the same as that used on the z9f. samjunk q90r uses an optical filter too but its impact on contrast performance is not as drastic as z9f.

How about just leaving viewing angles on VA panels as is, and not risk anything at all picture quality wise, as a result of messing around with additional optical filters and such? :D

shoman94 05-06-2019 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 58006276)
samjunk q90r uses an optical filter too but its impact on contrast performance is not as drastic as z9f.

True, but it took a hit on sharpness and clarity..... Always a trade-off somewhere.

shoman94 05-06-2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR662 (Post 58006424)
How about just leaving viewing angles on VA panels as is, and not risk anything at all picture quality wise, as a result of messing around with additional optical filters and such? :D

I welcome it honestly, I just wish companies compensated for such things.

egrady 05-06-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR662 (Post 58005282)
But what do you really need 8K @ 60hz or even 120hz for right now or even in the near future?

Perhaps not, but I can't make myself reward a company that pushes 8K and then releases a set that is 8K lite. I'll wait until they have firmware that adds [email protected] If it never comes to the Z9G I'll sure the Z9H will have it.

Egghaus 05-07-2019 10:25 AM

Quote:

We know from the hdtvtest mini review that the 100" Z9D was capable of 2800 nits and had 1000 zones. I think that power consumption spec provides hope that this will be a beast of a set.

Also BMD must increase efficiency, as the 75" Z9D has about 6x the zones and 50% greater nit output but actually uses LESS power than my X940c.

Cleveland Plasma 05-07-2019 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD23 (Post 58006088)
I think a Z9F with more zones and full HDMI 2.1 (VRR, etc.) would be the best LCD on the market and I hope such a set materializes in smaller sizes than the z9g. This rumor is enough to make me hold off on buying an OLED until the fall.

So more or less a Z9D with HDMI 2.1 and 8K.....sounds good to me ;)

dj_xmx 05-07-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Dear God , let this be true :D a 75inch would be cheaper for me + i prefer 4K but with all the Z9G features :) :) :)

JD23 05-07-2019 12:15 PM

I would sacrifice 8k to keep the cost down, as it will be less critical for 65" and 75" inch screens.

Coercion Shaman 05-07-2019 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_xmx (Post 58012338)
Dear God , let this be true :D a 75inch would be cheaper for me + i prefer 4K but with all the Z9G features :) :) :)

That would be great for many people. It still will be more than I am willing to pay, unfortunately. Maybe I won't miss out on it in 3 years when it closes out like the Z9D. :eeksurprise:

ShoxXx 05-08-2019 01:50 PM

x21inc 05-09-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShoxXx (Post 58018470)

0:52 seconds :frown:

Iluv4k 05-09-2019 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x21inc (Post 58022808)
0:52 seconds :frown:

Crazy blooming. :frown:

shoman94 05-09-2019 04:54 PM

That looks like the local dimming isn't engaged. When you power on, pause with internal apps etc..... the algorithm is disabled.

ShoxXx 05-10-2019 06:44 AM

Then X9500G should look like Z9G or worse ...

shoman94 05-13-2019 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShoxXx (Post 58026584)
Then X9500G should look like Z9G or worse ...

Good point, something isn't right then.

TomCro 05-14-2019 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoman94 (Post 58043030)
Good point, something isn't right then.

Maybe it's cause of different backlight technologies? BMD vs whatever is in 9500? and appropriate algorithams are maybe different also...

It is not possible that sony will produce flagship model with worse blacks then in cheaper model - so I'm not concerned about that

New_to_4K 05-14-2019 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomCro (Post 58044384)
It is not possible that sony will produce flagship model with worse blacks then in cheaper model - so I'm not concerned about that

Z9F vs. 950G.....

shoman94 05-14-2019 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New_to_4K (Post 58044524)
Z9F vs. 950G.....

What about it?

New_to_4K 05-14-2019 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoman94 (Post 58044530)
What about it?

According Rtings, the Z9F (flagship model) has lower contrast ratio vs. the smaller sizes X950G due to Xwide tech.

TomCro 05-14-2019 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New_to_4K (Post 58044536)
According Rtings, the Z9F (flagship model) has lower contrast ratio vs. the smaller sizes X950G due to Xwide tech.

Yes, but in what size?
As I know X950G has different panels in diferent sizes. Bigger ones have X-Wide as well and I doubt blacks are better
If we are comparing we should compare TV's in the same sizes. Comparing X950 55" and Z9F 75" doesn't make sense
In my country I can buy 65" z9f for less money than I can 65" X950
Also this raises interesting possibility: Maybe those "small Z9G" will be 4K without X-Wide cause seems like sony thinks X-Wide is benefitial only at larger sizes (if looking at X950G logic)
That would be ideal for me, 75" 4K Z9G, no X-Wide, with BMD and over 3000nits/1000zones, with contrast better than Z9D, and with factory calibration for no DSE

DJR662 05-14-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomCro (Post 58045184)
That would be ideal for me, 75" 4K Z9G, no X-Wide, with BMD and over 3000nits/1000zones, with contrast better than Z9D, and with factory calibration for no DSE

Now we're talking!

If this would become reality, it will be the first LCD TV that would be actually interesting and worth it to me since Sony launched the Z9D in 2016.

BRAC 05-14-2019 01:14 PM

z9g

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR662 (Post 58045470)
Now we're talking!

If this would become reality, it will be the first LCD TV that would be actually interesting and worth it to me since Sony launched the Z9D in 2016.

No chance. X-wide is here to stay. After owning 2 sets now with wide angle tech, I know that I’ll never go back. It’s important to a lot of people.

Even my dad mentioned to me how washed out his tv looks off center and he’s the least picky and non tech savvy person I know. I literally couldn’t believe it when he made that comment.

DJR662 05-14-2019 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRAC (Post 58047246)
No chance. X-wide is here to stay. After owning 2 sets now with wide angle tech, I know that I’ll never go back. It’s important to a lot of people.

Even my dad mentioned to me how washed out his tv looks off center and he’s the least picky and non tech savvy person I know. I literally couldn’t believe it when he made that comment.

Well for me personally, X-wide is the devil. I'll never, ever sacrifice an ounce of picture quality for something as insignificant as getting wider viewing angles on a VA panel.

If Sony doesn't want my money anymore (and they have been getting a lot from me since 2001...), they should keep this up.

sgupta 05-15-2019 01:08 AM

Love the X-Wide myself as well; it was a big selling point for me on the F, and I think the contrast ratio numbers don't tell the whole story as far as real-world performance. Very happy with dark scene performance on this TV. I can see things I would have never seen on my old OLED (no, it doesn't get quite as dark, but close in most situations, and the extra detail is incredible), and it also solved a lot of other issues, including macroblocking and burn-in worries. Since it does sometimes get used at an angle, it's the perfect set for me. I'm sure the G may up the ante even further if Backlight Master Drive returns. Samsung also is doing a similar wide-angle layer, so I think it's unlikely the high end TV's going forwards will be without it.

TomCro 05-15-2019 01:55 AM

But XG950 does not have X-Wide in lower sizes, and in 55" it's considered high end sony (most expensive LED sony)
So I do not think it's impossible for lower Z9G sizes not to have X-Wide (the same as for XG950)

We will see I guess in couple of months will there even be smaller Z9G

But Sony must be aware of this conflicts potential buyers has with this wide angles - surely for that price they could listen the customers and offer two version of atleast their flagship - with and withoud X-Wide angles. They could, but unfortunatelly I don't think they will

And yes, most of people that buy TV's are not video enthuziast, and they will not see subtle difference in blacks as they watch TVs in broad daylight. But they will see picture is washed out at an angle, cause they probably watch TV's from allaround. So mayority of customers are not videophiles, and actually care more of angles, than of blacks or contrast. This was obviously recognised by big players (sony, samsung...) and that's why they are going down that path.

Sad thing is that us TV enthuziasts are just minor piece of the cake for sony, so it's only logical for them to concentrate on bigger piece of the cake (average customers)

DJR662 05-15-2019 05:08 AM

I currently own two Z9Ds and out of all the LCD TVs I have previously owned (and bought for others), they have the most narrow viewing angles I have ever encountered. :D But it is of no concern to me since I am of the opinion any serious movie watching should be done in front of the TV anway and not from an angle. I have always done it this way long before the Z9D came into play.

I never watch cable TV and I don't use any "smart" apps (TVs aren't even connected to the internet). I do some occasional gaming just for fun. Movie watching strictly with disc based media is my main purpose however. I only watch in a darkened room, either late in the evening when it's getting dark outside or with blackout curtains during the day.

So yeah, I guess I am not a typical TV consumer, but that doesn't mean Sony (or any other brand) should be forgetting about those that spend thousands of Dollars (Euros in my case ;) ) each time they buy something new.

BRAC 05-15-2019 07:23 AM

z9g

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR662 (Post 58050240)
I currently own two Z9Ds and out of all the LCD TVs I have previously owned (and bought for others), they have the most narrow viewing angles I have ever encountered. :D But it is of no concern to me since I am of the opinion any serious movie watching should be done in front of the TV anway and not from an angle. I have always done it this way long before the Z9D came into play.

I never watch cable TV and I don't use any "smart" apps (TVs aren't even connected to the internet). I do some occasional gaming just for fun. Movie watching strictly with disc based media is my main purpose however. I only watch in a darkened room, either late in the evening when it's getting dark outside or with blackout curtains during the day.

So yeah, I guess I am not a typical TV consumer, but that doesn't mean Sony (or any other brand) should be forgetting about those that spend thousands of Dollars (Euros in my case ;) ) each time they buy something new.

Well...if I only had myself to worry about, X-wide would be a non issue. There is usually four or more of us watching in my house.

DJR662 05-15-2019 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRAC (Post 58050636)
Well...if I only had myself to worry about, X-wide would be a non issue. There is usually four or more of us watching in my house.

I can fit four people on my living room couch in front of the 75Z9D and everyone can see clearly without picture quality issues. If you sit in a wider radius than that (left or right side that is), you are not watching a movie (or even regular TV) properly even if you had X-wide view or an IPS or OLED panel for that matter.

Sony should make X-wide either optional by also releasing models without it, or there should be the possibility to deactivate it (I believe that's possible on one of the more recent Samsung models?).

Cleveland Plasma 05-15-2019 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgupta (Post 58049954)
Love the X-Wide myself as well; it was a big selling point for me on the F, and I think the contrast ratio numbers don't tell the whole story as far as real-world performance. Very happy with dark scene performance on this TV. I can see things I would have never seen on my old OLED (no, it doesn't get quite as dark, but close in most situations, and the extra detail is incredible), and it also solved a lot of other issues, including macroblocking and burn-in worries. Since it does sometimes get used at an angle, it's the perfect set for me. I'm sure the G may up the ante even further if Backlight Master Drive returns. Samsung also is doing a similar wide-angle layer, so I think it's unlikely the high end TV's going forwards will be without it.

It is what the manufacturers consider to be an advancement. You are right, with others following suite its probably here to stay.....

DJR662 05-15-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma (Post 58051052)
It is what the manufacturers consider to be an advancement. You are right, with others following suite its probably here to stay.....

Then I honestly can't wait for high end LCD to be over and done with. Bring on Mini or MicroLED by Sony asap!

BRAC 05-15-2019 12:27 PM

z9g

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR662 (Post 58051868)
Then I honestly can't wait for high end LCD to be over and done with. Bring on Mini or MicroLED by Sony asap!

I used to share your opinion, until I broke down and bought one.

Why not go with an OLED?

DJR662 05-15-2019 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRAC (Post 58052198)
I used to share your opinion, until I broke down and bought one.

Why not go with an OLED?

I would love to have the new Sony 65A9G, but I simply do not have the space for it.

mike123abc 05-16-2019 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR662 (Post 58049796)
Well for me personally, X-wide is the devil. I'll never, ever sacrifice an ounce of picture quality for something as insignificant as getting wider viewing angles on a VA panel.

If Sony doesn't want my money anymore (and they have been getting a lot from me since 2001...), they should keep this up.

I think that X-wide with enough dimming modes will work. An IPS panel (which has wide angle viewing) or a wide angle coatings on a VA panel have lower contrast than an untreated VA panel. But, if you have enough dimming zones and they work well, it should more than compensate for the lost contrast. The more work done by the back light, the less work is needed by the panel.

The one reviewer (digital trends) mentioned that he thought it could be an IPS panel instead of a VA panel with a wide viewing angle coating on it. If Sony has enough dimming zones and they have a bunch of different levels of brightness they can compensate for the IPS panel's lack of contrast.

I am dying to see the first actual review with measuring equipment... Hopefully in a couple of weeks we will know just how many dimming zones there are and what the contrast ratio of these displays are. I just hope that their expense does not limit reviews.

OooAhh 05-17-2019 08:58 AM

85Z9G AC Power watts

Quote:

I was also quite concerned with Sony showing a 900 watt power rating for the 85" Z9G. However, I just received a new Sony 55" A9G that Sony shows with a power rating of 373 watts. I measured about 83 watts at maximum brightness, 75 watts at 40 % brightness when testing with it setup in a bright living-room (20% of Sony listed maximum power), and 68 watts with brightness at 25% when wall mounted in a dark bedroom.
. If 85" Z9G is similar 20% with brightness for bright living room, power draw would be about 180 watts - still high, but only 20 watts more that a 40" Toshiba 40" FL LCD that we have. I am no longer concerned with power consumption of the Z9G and plan to purchase it instead of 85" X950G if 85" Z9G shows noticeable improvement in image with video from 1080 cable box and/or 4K from various sources.

p3trol_h3ad 05-17-2019 11:00 AM

One thing to consider with the X Wide layer is that... if you are very close to a large screen, you're actually looking at the pixels at the edge of the screen at quite an angle. Some TV's have such poor off-axis performance that the edge of the screen can start to look poor even from the main viewing position! Of course, for most consumers, this isn't the reason for the X Wide (for them it's so you can be anywhere in the room, I guess... at the sacrifice of a tiny amount of contrast that most people would never notice), however.. many here on AVSForums are definitely sitting 8 feet or less from their 85" screen.

It is what it is. Would be nice if it was optional, but I don't see that ever happening at the usual TV price point. That said, honestly I feel that they could make it an option when we are talking about $5,000, if not $10,000+ sets. :rolleyes:

DJR662 05-17-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike123abc (Post 58058524)
I think that X-wide with enough dimming modes will work. An IPS panel (which has wide angle viewing) or a wide angle coatings on a VA panel have lower contrast than an untreated VA panel. But, if you have enough dimming zones and they work well, it should more than compensate for the lost contrast. The more work done by the back light, the less work is needed by the panel.

The one reviewer (digital trends) mentioned that he thought it could be an IPS panel instead of a VA panel with a wide viewing angle coating on it. If Sony has enough dimming zones and they have a bunch of different levels of brightness they can compensate for the IPS panel's lack of contrast.

I am dying to see the first actual review with measuring equipment... Hopefully in a couple of weeks we will know just how many dimming zones there are and what the contrast ratio of these displays are. I just hope that their expense does not limit reviews.

We'll see what happens. I'm awaiting reviews too but I'm not holding my breathe. I still stand by what I said earlier, why make it unnecessary "complicated"? Just ditch the X-wide view alltogether.

LondonBenji 05-17-2019 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OooAhh (Post 58060376)
I was also quite concerned with Sony showing a 900 watt power rating for the 85" Z9G. However, I just received a new Sony 55" A9G that Sony shows with a power rating of 373 watts. I measured about 83 watts at maximum brightness, 75 watts at 40 % brightness when testing with it setup in a bright living-room (20% of Sony listed maximum power), and 68 watts with brightness at 25% when wall mounted in a dark bedroom.
. If 85" Z9G is similar 20% with brightness for bright living room, power draw would be about 180 watts - still high, but only 20 watts more that a 40" Toshiba 40" FL LCD that we have. I am no longer concerned with power consumption of the Z9G and plan to purchase it instead of 85" X950G if 85" Z9G shows noticeable improvement in image with video from 1080 cable box and/or 4K from various sources.

It's quite possibly a peak power spec, CPU running at 100%, full white, full bright, full everything.... Samsung quotes both typical power consumption and maximum power consumption with their 65" QLED 8K screen being max 370W, so it would roughly seem to be inline with max power.

If Sony has pulled their head out of their arse and stopped hampering their master LCD series (because OLED/microLED is the future) and given the Z9G the zones it deserves that can match or beat the Z9D, if it's in the order of thousands of dimming zones, then I could very easily see peak power being WAY higher than typical power consumption since full white is rare but when it does hit and ALL of the backlight LEDs go full on....

gutcheck2001 05-17-2019 05:06 PM

75 3/8 x 48 3/8 x 17 1/8 in (1,913 x 1,226 x 432 mm)

OMG it will fit. My width is exactly 76. It's 156 lbs....

ray0414 05-17-2019 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LondonBenji (Post 58061650)
It's quite possibly a peak power spec, CPU running at 100%, full white, full bright, full everything.... Samsung quotes both typical power consumption and maximum power consumption with their 65" QLED 8K screen being max 370W, so it would roughly seem to be inline with max power.

If Sony has pulled their head out of their arse and stopped hampering their master LCD series (because OLED/microLED is the future) and given the Z9G the zones it deserves that can match or beat the Z9D, if it's in the order of thousands of dimming zones, then I could very easily see peak power being WAY higher than typical power consumption since full white is rare but when it does hit and ALL of the backlight LEDs go full on....

8k resolution uses more power than 4k. I've seen this mentioned by tech sites a couple of times

LondonBenji 05-17-2019 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray0414 (Post 58063550)
8k resolution uses more power than 4k. I've seen this mentioned by tech sites a couple of times

Generationally computing power gets more and more efficient, while the computing power required for 8k will be certainly be more than 4k, it's probably not far off what 4k required with the computing power that was available at the time 4k first came out.

ferro 05-20-2019 04:31 AM

Prices & availability in Germany:

KD-85ZG9 €15,999 - Available July 2019
KD-98ZG9 €79,999 - Available June 2019

https://presscentre.sony.de/pressrel...-markt-2875910

Reviews are expected from May 30, 2019:

https://www.areadvd.de/tests/xxl-pra...-menuebildern/

moby63 05-23-2019 11:46 AM

JoelArt 05-23-2019 12:52 PM

UltimateDisplay 05-23-2019 01:32 PM

wait

it has IPS panel ? (apparently according to the link above)

WHAT

DJR662 05-23-2019 01:45 PM

He doesn't mention X-wide view. Could be very well that's why the blacks looked a little grey to him. Whatever the case might be, this is another first hands on "review" in which not so stellar blacks and minimal blooming is mentioned.

Not exactly something to look forward to in a TV in this price range...

MLM87 05-23-2019 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoelArt (Post 58089470)

That's not a good sign if this is coming from Caleb. Denison is usually very soft on his AV reviews. He loved the z9f, while 95 percent of AV critics found many faults with it. Denison never complains about black levels. He gave an incredible review to the x930d, and that had some haloing issues regardless of the high contrast. It seems the days of incredible home theater quality LCD sets from Sony are over. The good news for OLED fans is that the A9G and A9F before it have incredible tone mapping. This won't be as effective with content graded in 4000 nits + as the Z9d(there may still be some clipping), but pretty close. The good news is Samsung still has some great LED sets. I'm confident Sony will eventually move towards LED in the future, with either Micro LED or a more cost effective CLEDIS.

DJR662 05-23-2019 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLM87 (Post 58089964)
It seems the days of incredible home theater quality LCD sets from Sony are over.

This has been said by others too here on this site last year. I wouldn't want to believe it back then, but now I'm beginning to think this might actually become a reality.

UltimateDisplay 05-23-2019 03:33 PM

gotta start praying to the Outer Gods for micro-LED or at least mini-LED