AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   z9g (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/3041310-z9g.html)

TomCro 10-07-2019 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjchmura (Post 58649434)
It’s not HDMI2.1 which is a bummer for VRR. So will wait for z9h

Likely going to replace my (now with a yellow vertical line) Elite 70” with a 77” c9.

I know that some Samsungs support VRR on HDMI 2.0 - so not having complete 2.1 HDMI implementation isn't the reason for Z9G not to have VRR
I guess I hope it could be some firmware upgrade that could introduce VRR on Z9G
On CNET I read: "The new 8K sets also have full-spec HDMI 2.1 inputs complete with 48Gbps capability, which means they're compatible with higher frame rates and resolutions that could come down the pike soon, like 4K at 120 frames per second or 8K at 60fps. All 2019 Sony TVs support enhanced audio return channel (eARC) -- with the exception of the A8G.
Support for the other two major HDMI 2.1 features -- variable refresh rate (VRR) and automatic low latency mode (ALLM, or auto game mode) -- isn't final yet. A Sony representative says that once the HDMI 2.1 evaluation period is over, the company will be able to provide more information"

I would really like to have it also cause I'm afraid Z9H won't be around next year (or it will be without BMD like Z9F was)
If I have to choose between BMD and VRR I would pick BMD (I'm not as heavy gamer as you are)

kee68 10-10-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjchmura (Post 58649434)
It’s not HDMI2.1 which is a bummer for VRR. So will wait for z9h

Likely going to replace my (now with a yellow vertical line) Elite 70” with a 77” c9.

sjchmura, did you check to see if anyone could repair your 70 elite? I am still using mine for main daytime use and 3D. I have 75z9d and 940 d and they do not display 3D like the Sharp.

bobbino421 10-15-2019 05:42 AM

Any whispers on the next Sony 8K TV like a Z9H or something else for 2020?

OilMessiah 10-15-2019 07:21 PM

Wish Sony would get their stuff together.

Question then for people...looking to spec a 75"TV for a new condo. Was really hoping it would be the Z9G. 85" is almost a bit too big, but if it was worth it, would convince the wife it would fit in.

Soooo, if you were to not take the Z9G, would you take the Z9D or a 75" Q90?

SuperMega 10-17-2019 09:58 PM

I went to a Sony-sponsored event today specifically for the A9G and Z9G and they were side-by-side playing the exact same 4k HDR content on loop...

Result: 0 buyer's remorse for the Z9G. In a dim (not dark) room, sitting next to the A9G, the Z9G's images appeared *lifelike* with its amazing HDR range causing the A9G to appear flat, dull and lower contrast. The overall PQ of the Z9G absolutely and completely blew the A9G out of the water. The A9G had far better viewing angles (of course) and perfect blacks - but I would not trade either of those things for what the Z9G is capable of. With properly-authored HDR content, the Z9G is a game-changer IMO!

The 8k looks super nice (hadn't actually seen any 8k content on my TV yet) but that didn't really factor into my purchasing decision.

DJR662 10-17-2019 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbino421 (Post 58687496)
Any whispers on the next Sony 8K TV like a Z9H or something else for 2020?

I'm on the lookout too. :)

Gillietalls 10-18-2019 05:15 AM

Hopefully their own iteration of an 8K mini-LED. The Z9G's price tag is just too high for the light bleed that's apparent.

DJR662 10-18-2019 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gillietalls (Post 58699520)
Hopefully their own iteration of an 8K mini-LED. The Z9G's price tag is just too high for the light bleed that's apparent.

Yeah, I'm really hoping for a Sony Mini LED albeit not in 8K but just plain old regular 4K. :D

Either that or a "true" BMD panel like the Z9D but definitely without the X-wide filter.

sjchmura 10-18-2019 08:00 AM

You know x wide in magnolia is impressive . I do notice in my 75 z9 sitting 7 feet away the dimming at the edges. On my.43" Philips monitor it's obvious

Maybe the z9h will just have a better BMD like our z9d. In a dark room I can't go worse than the z9.

bobbino421 10-18-2019 08:26 AM

I’m hoping for an LCD 75 inch panel in the next Z model

theone26 10-20-2019 12:23 AM

Would you guys say it's a decent upgrade to a 65" Z9D in overall PQ? What are the pros and cons here?

Cleveland Plasma 10-20-2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperMega (Post 58583360)
And still only a 1 year warranty!

I would be adding an extended warranty......

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRAC (Post 58642824)
Ok...I was at BB again yesterday and I have to take back this above statement. I’d definitely take the 98” Q900 over the 85” Z9G. Taking a closer look at the Q900 yesterday, I have to go with size in this case. The added immersion from those extra 13” is just incredible and too much to pass up. Equal size though, it’s Z9G all day.

Did you get the 98Q900 ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone26 (Post 58707536)
Would you guys say it's a decent upgrade to a 65" Z9D in overall PQ? What are the pros and cons here?

This is a nitch piece, there are no reviews that I have seen. I would hope it is close, but the Z9D is hard to beat......

DJR662 10-20-2019 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone26 (Post 58707536)

I think one of the Z9G owners here also has a 75Z9D. I'm still waiting on a comparison user review actually. ;)

The Z9D has the "real" BMD and no X-wide view, so that's already a pretty big advantage I think.

sjchmura 10-21-2019 08:14 AM

I love my 75” z9 but you have to be sitting dead center at 7.5 feet to not see the shifts

If x-wife works, then be nice if you have a family

BRAC 10-22-2019 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma (Post 58708462)
Did you get the 98Q900 ?

No :eek:

TomCro 11-04-2019 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR662 (Post 58708868)
I think one of the Z9G owners here also has a 75Z9D. I'm still waiting on a comparison user review actually. ;)

The Z9D has the "real" BMD and no X-wide view, so that's already a pretty big advantage I think.

It really frustrating this lack of information - common you owners, share your knowledge :)

Fuzalert 11-04-2019 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomCro (Post 58773250)
It really frustrating this lack of information - common you owners, share your knowledge :)

We're too busy enjoying sesame street on our new set.

TomCro 11-13-2019 01:58 AM

I'm interested on how the percieved debth of the picture relates to Z9D
I'm scared that native contrast could influence this and really would not want to go below Z9D standard
I hope that thanks to BMD (and despite wide angles) this will not be the case - can anybody confirm?

TomCro 11-14-2019 03:47 AM

On ign there is info about support for 4 HMDI2.1 inputs - but I think this is wrong - has anybody heard that Z9G got software update which upgrades all the HDMI inputs to 2.1?
https://www.ign.com/articles/best-8k-tv

MoneyMINTR 11-15-2019 07:06 PM

so, I'm about to order the 85" of this TV. I already have the 65z9d which I love. skipped the z9f and 950g. do the owners still happy with their purchase aside from the short comings of no 8k content and maybe the tv won't work fully when new HDMI std is released? ie, is this a premature release for 8k?

Panson 11-15-2019 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR662 (Post 58708868)

I would tend to agree, though there seems to be a little room for optimism.

Quote:

ZG9 retains the X-Wide Angle technology introduced - with not entirely happy results - on Sony’s ZF9 4K sets last year. Mercifully, Sony has this time managed to deliver its wide angle feature without dealing the sort of heavy blow to the screen’s general contrast that we witnessed with the ZF9.
https://www.techradar.com/reviews/so...-z9g-8k-hdr-tv

Quote:

Happily, Sony’s viewing angle tech has much less of a negative impact on the Z9Gs black levels. Backlight blooming around flaming torches and candles in Exodus Chapter 7 is far less apparent. In fact, it’s handled particularly well during the most extreme light and dark shots, as in such instances the screen dims down the bright highlights to a level where they don’t need to trigger too much extraneous light in the darkness around them.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#33b9aad76f5f

Quote:

Sony Z9G also has 'X-Wide Angle' that was first introduced in the disappointing Z9F where it reduced black levels significantly, and later in X950G where Sony had tweaked the balance between wide viewing angles and contrast reduction. Sony explains that the implementation in this 8K TV is similar to X950G but again tweaked somewhat. Nevertheless, the system still affects black levels. Contrast is higher than on X950G but not drastically.
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....&id=1559201058

DJR662 11-16-2019 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panson (Post 58828204)
I would tend to agree, though there seems to be a little room for optimism.

And yet: "Nevertheless, the system still affects black levels".

Enough reason for me personally to pass... :(

Menarini 11-16-2019 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR662 (Post 58828886)
And yet: "Nevertheless, the system still affects black levels".

Enough reason for me personally to pass... :(

If you're that picky about black levels, you shouldn't be considering a FALD but one of the oleds like sony A9G. BTW, I saw the Z9G on demo, it looks bloody awesome when feeding it native 8K HDR demo content, the highlights burst off the screen, most impressive display of peak brightness on any consumer tv so far I've seen. And minor blooming is not an issue in a brightly lit viewing environment, only if you watched in a pitch black room would there be some cause for concern, otherwise not.

DJR662 11-16-2019 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 58828892)
If you're that picky about black levels, you shouldn't be considering a FALD but one of the oleds like sony A9G. BTW, I saw the Z9G on demo, it looks bloody awesome when feeding it native 8K HDR demo content, the highlights burst off the screen, most impressive display of peak brightness on any consumer tv so far I've seen. And minor blooming is not an issue in a brightly lit viewing environment, only if you watched in a pitch black room would there be some cause for concern, otherwise not.

It's not just that I'm being picky, it's the principle of sacrificing pq in favour of something like wider viewing angles that does it for me (personally).

OLED has other issues, but I still would like to have been able to add the A9G to my Sony household, but unfortunately I have run out of space (and wifey acceptance factor ;) ).

But I have no doubt HDR looks amazing on the Z9G though! I hope I come across one in real life in a store sometime so I can enjoy it with my own eyes. :)

TomCro 11-19-2019 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyMINTR (Post 58828084)
so, I'm about to order the 85" of this TV. I already have the 65z9d which I love. skipped the z9f and 950g. do the owners still happy with their purchase aside from the short comings of no 8k content and maybe the tv won't work fully when new HDMI std is released? ie, is this a premature release for 8k?

I'm kinda in the same situation - but still haven't pulled the triger, I'm still thinking...
So I would appriciate any feedback when you buy it (compare 65Z9D & 85Z9G)

ray0414 11-19-2019 11:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A guy I follow on Twitter got his Z9G today and is not impressed with the black levels with hdr. Not sure if this is at his home or the shop he works at (he works at some type of TV store). Also not sure if he was later able to adjust his settings to help.

Vishwa Somayaji 11-20-2019 03:12 PM

That doesn't sound good for an expensive TV like that.

Gillietalls 11-21-2019 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji (Post 58850092)
That doesn't sound good for an expensive TV like that.

Not at all.

Fuzalert 11-21-2019 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray0414 (Post 58846910)
A guy I follow on Twitter got his Z9G today and is not impressed with the black levels with hdr. Not sure if this is at his home or the shop he works at (he works at some type of TV store). Also not sure if he was later able to adjust his settings to help.

Damn that sucks. Sony got the black bars completely right with the x930E and Z9D.

They both look pitch black on my Disney+ app, wonder why this isn't the case for Z9G?

MCaugusto 11-21-2019 01:59 PM

I would blame this poor performance on that X-wide viewing angle technology that both Samsung and Sony seem to "have fallen in love" as applied to their current top-of-the-line sets.

I can understand that for some customers, specifically those with a larger family viewing audience, this X-wide tech might be desirable, but is the cost of much worse native contrast levels a fair trade ?

From the reviews i read on Rtings.com i was shocked seeing how much worse the native contrast level is if the set uses the X-wide tech and i for one would never/ever trade a much better native contrast level for a wider viewing angle, take your pick.

My Sony 940E has a pretty good viewing angle according to Rtings.com and excellent native contrast level of about 5.000:1 ( almost 12.000:1 using its FALD) whereas the Sony Z9F native contrast level is only 1.730:1 (3.379:1 using its FALD).

ray0414 11-21-2019 06:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCaugusto (Post 58854490)
I would blame this poor performance on that X-wide viewing angle technology that both Samsung and Sony seem to "have fallen in love" as applied to their current top-of-the-line sets.

I can understand that for some customers, specifically those with a larger family viewing audience, this X-wide tech might be desirable, but is the cost of much worse native contrast levels a fair trade ?

From the reviews i read on Rtings.com i was shocked seeing how much worse the native contrast level is if the set uses the X-wide tech and i for one would never/ever trade a much better native contrast level for a wider viewing angle, take your pick.

My Sony 940E has a pretty good viewing angle according to Rtings.com and excellent native contrast level of about 5.000:1 ( almost 12.000:1 using its FALD) whereas the Sony Z9F native contrast level is only 1.730:1 (3.379:1 using its FALD).

Too much brightness and not enough zones. 720 on an 85" is a step down from the 800 on the 75Z9D.

If tcl can do 1000 zones on a 75", neither Sony nor Samsung have any excuses. We'll likely see more mini led going forward though. The Dolby Pulsar Mastering Monitor has around 6000zones on a 42" panel.

He said the Sony rep came into his store today and here's what he said..

orbitzboy 12-06-2019 10:45 AM

Well,

I've had the 85' Z9G for about a week now.

I was agonizing over Samsung or Sony. Ultimately went with the Sony for the peak brightness, as the tv will be in a large family room with a lot of windows. Happy owner of 2 LG OLED's and a 4k JVC projector. After a week, the Z9 may be my favorite, although the projector has a world-class sound system and dedicated room.

I'm really surprised at some of the negative reviews here. The native contrast ratio is a pittance relative to my other TV's, but the high-density pixels + the high-luminance variance I found makes a more compelling picture. Wish it had the inky blacks of my LG E8, but I wouldn't give up the picture quality for it. Frankly, it's the best picture I've ever seen from a television.