AVS Forum banner

z9g

124K views 917 replies 141 participants last post by  HoustonHoyaFan 
#1 ·
#6 ·
BMD is back in Sony's flagship 8K lcd, just like i suspected all along. Sony was never abandoning BMD. The Z9G/ZG9 will be sony's first lcd to combine BMD with X reality PRO and X1 Ultimate processor and be a native 8k tv.
ZD9 owners here is your true successor.

#8 · (Edited)
It was only speculation by people and media that BMD couldn't be done with X Wide Angle, well sony has it. I'm getting from another forum this tv being 8k will have peak brightness much higher than 2000 nits, so a brighter tv than ZD9.

#9 ·
Excited to hear more about this set.

A damn shame though Sony felt the need to include the X-wide view angle tech. That's something I don't need/want at all and it remains to be seen what effect it will have on the overall picture quality. If this is going the Z9F route again, then my interest in this set will quickly fade away.

#11 ·
Some Good info from Prnewswire

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...vs-to-the-master-series-lineup-300774276.html

"
MASTER Series Z9G 98" and 85" Class (97.5" and 84.6" diagonal) 8K LED TV Features

Sony's 8K to bring the creator's intent to life with a truly authentic experience by combining the brilliance of 8K HDR with Sony's unique MASTER Series philosophy
Picture Processor X1™ Ultimate and 8K X-Reality PRO – pictures are sharpened and refined in real time, and images are upscaled closer to true 8K quality using Sony's exclusive 8K database
Backlight Master Drive, a full-array LED backlight technology that combines ultra-dense, independently controlled LED modules tuned for 8K to deliver incredibly deep black, dazzling lights and more vibrant color
HDMI 2.1 that supports 8K resolution and 4K High Frame Rate in a single cable (requires firmware)
8K X-tended Dynamic Range™ PRO that delivers 20 times the contrast of Sony's conventional LED TVs without local dimming
Acoustic Multi-Audio by four front-facing speakers; with Sony's Sound-from-Picture Reality experience, action and sound are precisely aligned for a more immersive viewing experience
TV Center Speaker Mode, to make the TV the center speaker of a home theater system
X-Wide Angle feature minimizes the color change when seen from the side, giving you faithful shades and hue from wherever you watch the TV
X-Motion Clarity keeps fast action clear and smooth; moving images are precisely controlled to minimize blur and even during fast-moving scenes, pictures stay true with no loss in brightness
Netflix Calibrated Mode brings the creator's vision directly to the TV
IMAX Enhanced feature brings a fully immersive at-home entertainment experience on this TV that takes full advantage of IMAX Enhanced content
Dolby Vision™ brings scenes vividly to life for authentic viewing, while Dolby Atmos™ fills the room with immersive surround sound
Android TV with hands-free help from the Google Assistant enables you to find what you want simply by talking to the TV; ask your Google Assistant to help you play TV shows, movies and more
Easy to control smart remote – connect set-top boxes and other devices via HDMI to your TV and control them all using one smart remote; a slimmer, more rounded design with built-in voice control microphone and enhanced button layout makes it easy to use
New processor for stress-free usability and a quicker response when launching apps, powering on the TV and more "

#15 · (Edited)
These features quoted from the above post are big

Backlight Master Drive, a full-array LED backlight technology that combines ultra-dense, independently controlled LED modules tuned for 8K to deliver incredibly deep black, dazzling lights and more vibrant color
HDMI 2.1 that supports 8K resolution and 4K High Frame Rate in a single cable (requires firmware)
8K X-tended Dynamic Range™ PRO that delivers 20 times the contrast of Sony's conventional LED TVs without local dimming
Acoustic Multi-Audio by four front-facing speakers; with Sony's Sound-from-Picture Reality experience, action and sound are precisely aligned for a more immersive viewing experience
TV Center Speaker Mode, to make the TV the center speaker of a home theater system

So BMD, hdmi 2.1 and acoustic surface audio for the first time on a sony lcd, until now it's only been available on sony oleds.

#23 ·
No 75 inch means no Z9G for me 85 is to large for my space I guess I’m going 77 A9G! I already have the 55 A9F and the picture is phenomenal!

#33 ·
Yeah I was going to say. It looks washed out to me and clear blooming on the angle picture. Will wait to see what the impressions are from straight on though. Hopefully its the BMD with a decent number of zones and a true Z9D successor. Also the person saying give me more zones and higher contrast not 8K. Do you really think the 8K is going to hurt them doing that... of course not. Its up to Sony how many zones and what the contrast ratio will end up as and the fact its an 8K set has nothing to do with that. 8K at these sizes also is more realistic especially if its coming with true HDMI 2.1.

#40 ·
Interesting will be costs and PQ since this TV combines BMD and X Wide Angle but we probably never will know. We ain't going to see reviews of that TV...to expensive/to big.

One could say BMD is back. But it is not in 55'' 65'' 75'' and not financially in reach for lots of consumers. How many people will buy these? A few thousands?
ray0414 said:
Backlight master drive might soon be outdated, TCL just announced they are going to have an 8k tv with Mini-led in 75"sizes and larger.. Vincent Teoh just posted a video about it, but I don't see any threads on avs about it yet.
It looks here like no more BMD in normal sizes at relative normal prices so it is not relevant no more currently. It cost them plenty money to develop BMD so they might as well put it in another TV eventhough very few people will buy it :rolleyes:

#42 ·
Interesting will be costs and PQ since this TV combines BMD and X Wide Angle but we probably never will know. We ain't going to see reviews of that TV...to expensive/to big.

One could say BMD is back. But it is not in 55'' 65'' 75'' and not financially in reach for lots of consumers. How many people will buy these? A few thousands?

It looks here like no more BMD in normal sizes at relative normal prices so it is not relevant no more currently. It cost them plenty money to develop BMD so they might as well put it in another TV eventhough very few people will buy it :rolleyes:
https://www.techradar.com/reviews/sony-bravia-master-series-z9g-8k-hdr-tv

Here's a first impressions article. They hated the z9f, and liked what they saw in the Z9G. Maybe the BMD will make up for the x-wide mess. The z9f was a step in the wrong direction largely due to the absence of the BMD.

#49 ·
Anyone know how Sony is managing to do an acoustic surface through a backlight plane? I understood that this was the reason we had only seen acoustic surfaces on single plane OLED.

#61 ·
Sony has alot riding on this one! I’m just confused on why they would release a flagship class again so soon? I was also disappointed there is no 75 inch but I guess because it’s 8K and they already have a high end 75 inch panel they just released?

#87 ·
Probably will not be released until like September, around Cedia. There is still limited to no stock on the XBR-75Z9F that was just released...Z9G is way down the road....

#88 · (Edited)
Well Said!!!!!! This have to be a record in time to replace are current Master series TV. All you have to do is look at the Z9D as this TV lasted 2.1/2 years and I bet some shops in the US still have NEW ones but yet the Z9F has not be out long and yet a Z9G is coming out very soon and has been stated in that video that Sony is going back to their old BMD drive to get better blacks. LOL.
Only disappointment is a 75 inch model and lack of it and this alone will save the 75 inch Z9F owners.

Reactions: SnellTHX
#69 ·
There seems to be a lot of anguish about tv’s people don’t even own and tons of opinions without any personal experience. I find that odd.

Anyway, the Z9G looks like a great tv and I would hope the 85” priced similarly to the 77” OLED. To be determined.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.