AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   z9g (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/3041310-z9g.html)

unknownuser200 01-07-2019 06:55 PM

z9g

ray0414 01-07-2019 07:06 PM

85 and 98 only. Archer posted a picture on twitter and the blacks were not good.

thisbryanguy001 01-07-2019 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray0414 (Post 57396106)
85 and 98 only. Archer posted a picture on twitter and the blacks were not good.

It actually has both X-Wide Angle and Backlight Master Drive which is strange because I would have thought that you can only have one or the other.

ray0414 01-07-2019 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisbryanguy001 (Post 57396128)
It actually has both X-Wide Angle and Backlight Master Drive which is strange because I would have thought that you can only have one or the other.

Well whatever they did, I wouldnt expect miracles. Should be a very set for the sizes though. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7a9bf05dd2.jpg

75Q9FN* Panny UB824 fed into Oppo203*Denon X4200 * S9+*

MLM87 01-07-2019 07:37 PM

Quote:

It's one pic, but sadly you're probably right. The x-wide is awful. However, the BMD should make up for it. The z9f has pretty bad pq because of x-wide and a lack of BMD tech.

Menarini 01-07-2019 07:39 PM

BMD is back in Sony's flagship 8K lcd, just like i suspected all along. Sony was never abandoning BMD. The Z9G/ZG9 will be sony's first lcd to combine BMD with X reality PRO and X1 Ultimate processor and be a native 8k tv.
ZD9 owners here is your true successor.

Cam1977 01-07-2019 07:40 PM

^if that's the case and they get back to what the ZD was...Sony has a winner here.

Menarini 01-07-2019 07:41 PM

It was only speculation by people and media that BMD couldn't be done with X Wide Angle, well sony has it. I'm getting from another forum this tv being 8k will have peak brightness much higher than 2000 nits, so a brighter tv than ZD9.

DJR662 01-07-2019 07:44 PM

Excited to hear more about this set.

A damn shame though Sony felt the need to include the X-wide view angle tech. That's something I don't need/want at all and it remains to be seen what effect it will have on the overall picture quality. If this is going the Z9F route again, then my interest in this set will quickly fade away.

MLM87 01-07-2019 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR662 (Post 57396294)
Excited to hear more about this set.

A damn shame though Sony felt the need to include the X-wide view angle tech. That's something I don't need/want at all and it remains to be seen what effect it will have on the overall picture quality. If this is going the Z9F route again, then my interest in this set will quickly fade away.

In terms of short term, x-wide is a problem. However, long term there's a pretty exciting future for Sony. CLEDIS looks amazing and it will be the next generation of LED tech. It will replace the Z series.

dominica 01-07-2019 07:46 PM

Some Good info from Prnewswire

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300774276.html

"
MASTER Series Z9G 98" and 85" Class (97.5" and 84.6" diagonal) 8K LED TV Features

Sony's 8K to bring the creator's intent to life with a truly authentic experience by combining the brilliance of 8K HDR with Sony's unique MASTER Series philosophy
Picture Processor X1™ Ultimate and 8K X-Reality PRO – pictures are sharpened and refined in real time, and images are upscaled closer to true 8K quality using Sony's exclusive 8K database
Backlight Master Drive, a full-array LED backlight technology that combines ultra-dense, independently controlled LED modules tuned for 8K to deliver incredibly deep black, dazzling lights and more vibrant color
HDMI 2.1 that supports 8K resolution and 4K High Frame Rate in a single cable (requires firmware)
8K X-tended Dynamic Range™ PRO that delivers 20 times the contrast of Sony's conventional LED TVs without local dimming
Acoustic Multi-Audio by four front-facing speakers; with Sony's Sound-from-Picture Reality experience, action and sound are precisely aligned for a more immersive viewing experience
TV Center Speaker Mode, to make the TV the center speaker of a home theater system
X-Wide Angle feature minimizes the color change when seen from the side, giving you faithful shades and hue from wherever you watch the TV
X-Motion Clarity keeps fast action clear and smooth; moving images are precisely controlled to minimize blur and even during fast-moving scenes, pictures stay true with no loss in brightness
Netflix Calibrated Mode brings the creator's vision directly to the TV
IMAX Enhanced feature brings a fully immersive at-home entertainment experience on this TV that takes full advantage of IMAX Enhanced content
Dolby Vision™ brings scenes vividly to life for authentic viewing, while Dolby Atmos™ fills the room with immersive surround sound
Android TV with hands-free help from the Google Assistant enables you to find what you want simply by talking to the TV; ask your Google Assistant to help you play TV shows, movies and more
Easy to control smart remote – connect set-top boxes and other devices via HDMI to your TV and control them all using one smart remote; a slimmer, more rounded design with built-in voice control microphone and enhanced button layout makes it easy to use
New processor for stress-free usability and a quicker response when launching apps, powering on the TV and more "

MLM87 01-07-2019 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 57396254)
BMD is back in Sony's flagship 8K lcd, just like i suspected all along. Sony was never abandoning BMD. The Z9G/ZG9 will be sony's first lcd to combine BMD with X reality PRO and X1 Ultimate processor and be a native 8k tv.

It won't be a true successor if x-wide hurts the contrast. I hope you're right though.

Menarini 01-07-2019 07:47 PM

the tv will also have a 98" version, that is huge, will be interesting to see how much the 98 inch costs, the 100" ZD9 was priced out of most consumers.

MLM87 01-07-2019 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominica (Post 57396308)
Some Good info from Prnewswire

"
MASTER Series Z9G 98" and 85" Class (97.5" and 84.6" diagonal) 8K LED TV Features

Sony's 8K to bring the creator's intent to life with a truly authentic experience by combining the brilliance of 8K HDR with Sony's unique MASTER Series philosophy
Picture Processor X1™ Ultimate and 8K X-Reality PRO – pictures are sharpened and refined in real time, and images are upscaled closer to true 8K quality using Sony's exclusive 8K database
Backlight Master Drive, a full-array LED backlight technology that combines ultra-dense, independently controlled LED modules tuned for 8K to deliver incredibly deep black, dazzling lights and more vibrant color
HDMI 2.1 that supports 8K resolution and 4K High Frame Rate in a single cable (requires firmware)
8K X-tended Dynamic Range™ PRO that delivers 20 times the contrast of Sony's conventional LED TVs without local dimming
Acoustic Multi-Audio by four front-facing speakers; with Sony's Sound-from-Picture Reality experience, action and sound are precisely aligned for a more immersive viewing experience
TV Center Speaker Mode, to make the TV the center speaker of a home theater system
X-Wide Angle feature minimizes the color change when seen from the side, giving you faithful shades and hue from wherever you watch the TV
X-Motion Clarity keeps fast action clear and smooth; moving images are precisely controlled to minimize blur and even during fast-moving scenes, pictures stay true with no loss in brightness
Netflix Calibrated Mode brings the creator's vision directly to the TV
IMAX Enhanced feature brings a fully immersive at-home entertainment experience on this TV that takes full advantage of IMAX Enhanced content
Dolby Vision™ brings scenes vividly to life for authentic viewing, while Dolby Atmos™ fills the room with immersive surround sound
Android TV with hands-free help from the Google Assistant enables you to find what you want simply by talking to the TV; ask your Google Assistant to help you play TV shows, movies and more
Easy to control smart remote – connect set-top boxes and other devices via HDMI to your TV and control them all using one smart remote; a slimmer, more rounded design with built-in voice control microphone and enhanced button layout makes it easy to use
New processor for stress-free usability and a quicker response when launching apps, powering on the TV and more "

https://www.sony.com/electronics/tel...xbr-z9g-series
Here's official info.

Menarini 01-07-2019 07:49 PM

These features quoted from the above post are big

So BMD, hdmi 2.1 and acoustic surface audio for the first time on a sony lcd, until now it's only been available on sony oleds.

DJR662 01-07-2019 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLM87 (Post 57396320)
It won't be a true successor if x-wide hurts the contrast.

This.

I hope Sony has figured it out though for this set. But IMHO they should have just left it out all together...

jwb1 01-07-2019 07:59 PM

8k is rather pointless.

DJR662 01-07-2019 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwb1 (Post 57396390)
8k is rather pointless.

It is but hey, what can you do?

It was to be expected these would be 8K.

MLM87 01-07-2019 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray0414 (Post 57396174)
Well whatever they did, I wouldnt expect miracles. Should be a very set for the sizes though. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7a9bf05dd2.jpg

There's a bit of bloom in that pic, but yet its possible the local dimming isn't on medium or something. Also, we can't judge one pic. Archer should have a first impressions article this week. The beaming tech on the BMD will hopefully make this set worthwhile.

Marco Giubin 01-07-2019 08:08 PM

My guess is at least 15k for the 85" at launch and 20-30k for the 98" given that they are also 8k. Won't be seeing people but these for at least a couple of years. Still glad I got the 75Z9D at a discounted price. Maybe in 5-6 years 98" will be in the 5-7k range.

ray0414 01-07-2019 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 57396264)
It was only speculation by people and media that BMD couldn't be done with X Wide Angle, well sony has it. I'm getting from another forum this tv being 8k will have peak brightness much higher than 2000 nits, so a brighter tv than ZD9.

Backlight master drive might soon be outdated, TCL just announced they are going to have an 8k tv with Mini-led in 75"sizes and larger.. Vincent Teoh just posted a video about it, but I don't see any threads on avs about it yet.

jwb1 01-07-2019 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwb1 (Post 57396390)
8k is rather pointless.

Give me more zones and native contrast, over 8k.

bobbino421 01-07-2019 08:19 PM

No 75 inch means no Z9G for me 85 is to large for my space I guess I’m going 77 A9G! I already have the 55 A9F and the picture is phenomenal!

MLM87 01-07-2019 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray0414 (Post 57396462)
Backlight master drive might soon be outdated, TCL just announced they are going to have an 8k tv with Mini-led in 75"sizes and larger.. Vincent Teoh just posted a video about it, but I don't see any threads on avs about it yet.

Yes, but Sony will replace the z series with CLEDIS. Maybe as early as next year. Most likely two years though. BMD is amazing though.

ray0414 01-07-2019 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLM87 (Post 57396536)
Yes, but Sony will replace the z series with CLEDIS. Maybe as early as next year. Most likely two years though. BMD is amazing though.

It's a good backlight system, but the contrast of the panel plays an important role. Alot of people who owned both the Z9D and 940e, preferred the picture of the 940e because of its higher native contrast picture despite using a traditional backlight system.

Ice Cold 01-07-2019 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwb1 (Post 57396480)

They won’t even list how many Zones. I’ll bet it’s not as many as Vizios 480 Zones.

Vizio Owns the Mid Tier LED TV Market in 2019

Samsung and Sony have decided to guy Ultra High end 8K

And LG has launched its best 4K OLEDs with HDMI 2.1

MLM87 01-07-2019 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray0414 (Post 57396574)
It's a good backlight system, but the contrast of the panel plays an important role. Alot of people who owned both the Z9D and 940e, preferred the picture of the 940e because of its higher native contrast picture despite using a traditional backlight system.

Z9d has better black levels than the x940e. X940e struggles a little more with haloing. However, it would be nice to have an alternative to the BMD. That's where CLEDIS comes along.

gomo657 01-07-2019 08:52 PM

z9g

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Cold (Post 57396592)
They won’t even list how many Zones. I’ll bet it’s not as many as Vizios 480 Zones.

And why are we discussing Wally World Vizio here?smh

Marco Giubin 01-07-2019 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomo657 (Post 57396680)
Quote:

And why are we discussing Wally World Vizio here?smh

Underrate TCL at your peril. My prediction is that within a few years they could own the premium segment too. They are a Chinese company that doesn't care about returns. TV business for Samsung and Sony is a rounding error that doesn't make much money.

New_to_4K 01-07-2019 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray0414 (Post 57396174)

Wait, is this Q9FN? Looks very vibrant.

ray0414 01-07-2019 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLM87 (Post 57396604)
Z9d has better black levels than the x940e. X940e struggles a little more with haloing. However, it would be nice to have an alternative to the BMD. That's where CLEDIS comes along.

Better dimming yes. 940e has the better panel though. An extreme example, would be putting BMD on an true IPS panel, the contrast would still be poor.

ray0414 01-07-2019 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New_to_4K (Post 57396936)
Wait, is this Q9FN? Looks very vibrant.

It's the Z9G. If u think that looks vibrant, the pictures of the A9G oled kill it.

Matsonia 01-07-2019 10:45 PM

Yeah I was going to say. It looks washed out to me and clear blooming on the angle picture. Will wait to see what the impressions are from straight on though. Hopefully its the BMD with a decent number of zones and a true Z9D successor. Also the person saying give me more zones and higher contrast not 8K. Do you really think the 8K is going to hurt them doing that... of course not. Its up to Sony how many zones and what the contrast ratio will end up as and the fact its an 8K set has nothing to do with that. 8K at these sizes also is more realistic especially if its coming with true HDMI 2.1.

Spizz 01-08-2019 02:55 AM

Blooming :(

unknownuser200 01-08-2019 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spizz (Post 57397502)

could be over exposure. as if you look at the sony logo that is just illuminated letters on the show floor wall. it appears to be blooming badly too lol not saying the tv isnt . it may just be exaggerated by the camara

MJDDawg 01-08-2019 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matsonia (Post 57397104)
Yeah I was going to say. It looks washed out to me and clear blooming on the angle picture. Will wait to see what the impressions are from straight on though. Hopefully its the BMD with a decent number of zones and a true Z9D successor. Also the person saying give me more zones and higher contrast not 8K. Do you really think the 8K is going to hurt them doing that... of course not. Its up to Sony how many zones and what the contrast ratio will end up as and the fact its an 8K set has nothing to do with that. 8K at these sizes also is more realistic especially if its coming with true HDMI 2.1.

It does have the BMD so looks like it is the true successor to the Z9D. But it's only available in 85 and 98 inches so it can't even be a consideration for most I'd think from a size perspective. Can only imagine what the price will be.

Coercion Shaman 01-08-2019 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJDDawg (Post 57397838)
Can only imagine what the price will be.

That is what will keep me from buying. I just can't bring myself to spend 5 figures on a television.

VA_DaveB 01-08-2019 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJDDawg (Post 57397838)
It does have the BMD so looks like it is the true successor to the Z9D.

Maybe, but the effect of the X-Wide angle layer on black levels and blooming is the "wild card". I would expect contrast ratios somewhere better than the Z9F's 3379:1 and Z9D's 7976:1 (with local dimming on). That would yield something in the 5500:1 range which is just average for mid-range VA panels. And there's no way that the X-Wide angle layer doesn't cause increased blooming, especially off angle.

egrady 01-08-2019 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matsonia (Post 57397104)
Also the person saying give me more zones and higher contrast not 8K. Do you really think the 8K is going to hurt them doing that... of course not. Its up to Sony how many zones and what the contrast ratio will end up as and the fact its an 8K set has nothing to do with that. 8K at these sizes also is more realistic especially if its coming with true HDMI 2.1.

His point, and mine, is we'd rather see Sony spend their R&D dollars on better blacks than 8K. An 85" 4k set with 1000 zones rather an 8K with 200 zones.

8mile13 01-08-2019 07:03 AM

Interesting will be costs and PQ since this TV combines BMD and X Wide Angle but we probably never will know. We ain't going to see reviews of that TV...to expensive/to big.

One could say BMD is back. But it is not in 55'' 65'' 75'' and not financially in reach for lots of consumers. How many people will buy these? A few thousands?
Quote:

Originally Posted by ray0414

It looks here like no more BMD in normal sizes at relative normal prices so it is not relevant no more currently. It cost them plenty money to develop BMD so they might as well put it in another TV eventhough very few people will buy it :rolleyes:

unknownuser200 01-08-2019 07:32 AM

anyone else catch on the sony site it says 20 x the contrast ofa normal lcd? lol so how bright does this thing go?!

MLM87 01-08-2019 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8mile13 (Post 57398226)
Interesting will be costs and PQ since this TV combines BMD and X Wide Angle but we probably never will know. We ain't going to see reviews of that TV...to expensive/to big.

One could say BMD is back. But it is not in 55'' 65'' 75'' and not financially in reach for lots of consumers. How many people will buy these? A few thousands?

It looks here like no more BMD in normal sizes at relative normal prices so it is not relevant no more currently. It cost them plenty money to develop BMD so they might as well put it in another TV eventhough very few people will buy it :rolleyes:

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/so...-z9g-8k-hdr-tv

Here's a first impressions article. They hated the z9f, and liked what they saw in the Z9G. Maybe the BMD will make up for the x-wide mess. The z9f was a step in the wrong direction largely due to the absence of the BMD.

Matsonia 01-08-2019 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egrady (Post 57397968)
His point, and mine, is we'd rather see Sony spend their R&D dollars on better blacks than 8K. An 85" 4k set with 1000 zones rather an 8K with 200 zones.

I would happily take both. From the video above though it looks like it could certainly use more zones.

egrady 01-08-2019 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matsonia (Post 57398516)
I would happily take both. From the video above though it looks like it could certainly use more zones.

Both, you must have pretty deep pockets!

I took a look at the video and the blooming looks pretty ghastly. Lets hope that its in torch mode and that calibrated will be more like what we're looking for.

lukedriftwood 01-08-2019 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwb1 (Post 57396480)

Quote:

82944 individually addressable dimming zones for 98inch version. One zone per 20x20 pixel cluster.

14400 individually addressable dimming zones for 85inch version. One zone per 48x48 pixel cluster.

Yes the backlight module is based on Sony's micro LED tech.

Z9G also supports 8K/120p via HDMI2.1, with VRR+Freesync+ALLM, 10ms input lag.

bobbino421 01-08-2019 08:49 AM

They would have sold a bunch of 75s I’m disappointed they didn’t make one! 85 would be a tight squeeze in my living room lol

8mile13 01-08-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukedriftwood (Post 57398722)
82944 individually addressable dimming zones for 98inch version. One zone per 20x20 pixel cluster.

14400 individually addressable dimming zones for 85inch version. One zone per 48x48 pixel cluster.

The 100'' ZD9, which is the predecessor of the ZG9, had 1,000 zones (Sony suggested that the smaller sizes had thousands of zones, the actual number of zones were way below thousand for the smaller sizes). Even if they used MiniLED, which is not the case, the 98'' would have less than 5,000 zones. So 82,944 zones, i am sorry to say, is complete nonsense.

Stereodude 01-08-2019 09:25 AM

Quote:

Do you have a link for any of this or is this your wild fantasy list?

Ted99 01-08-2019 09:36 AM

Anyone know how Sony is managing to do an acoustic surface through a backlight plane? I understood that this was the reason we had only seen acoustic surfaces on single plane OLED.

leamingtonspacem 01-08-2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLM87 (Post 57396242)
The z9f has pretty bad pq because of x-wide and a lack of BMD tech.

It doesn't have bad pq at all???

It suffers from some blooming (possibly) because of x-wide and lack of BMD.

But the pq is outstanding as can be proven by testimonials from actual users in the ZF9 thread.

leamingtonspacem 01-08-2019 10:33 AM

I'm thinking that x-wide negates zone density.

There is probably a threshold of dimming zone density that, once reached, packing in more zones does not improve blooming due to x-wide.

My theory anyway...

MLM87 01-08-2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leamingtonspacem (Post 57399634)

But the pq is outstanding as can be proven by testimonials from actual users in the ZF9 thread.

Blooming? It has awful contrast. The x900f is a better home theater display, especially the 85inch. The contrast was not acceptable for a flagship and only really works in a bright room. PQ is all about blacks. It's like a canvas. Blacks bring out the image. I don't mean any disrespect, but grey bars are not considered "outstanding PQ". The z9f also lacks the BMD which is why the contrast works in a similar way to an IPS display. Testimonials? The z9f thread is bias. Most reviewers found it a step in the wrong direction. I've seen the z9f in person and it looks very similar to an IPS display as John Archer emphasized. The bars don't stay black. The z9g should be better, but black levels could suffer due to the x-wide tech. The x-wide creates an IPS/VA hybrid performance, which is worst than most VA panels. There is a reason Sony brought back the BMD for the Z9G release. Sony is moving towards CLEDIS which will eventually replace Sony VA BMD panels.

Matsonia 01-08-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

This sounds more like a wishlist :D Do you have a source for this info?

From the other video I saw with some pretty obvious and out reaching blooming around the white logo it looks more like it has a few hundred zones. Definatly not 80 thousand. They Said it does have 20x contrast though compared to the Z9D which had 16x so im going to guess the amount of zones maybe between 500 and 1000.

MLM87 01-08-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matsonia (Post 57399748)

From the other video I saw with some pretty obvious and out reaching blooming around the white logo it looks more like it has a few hundred zones. Definatly not 80 thousand. They Said it does have 20x contrast though compared to the Z9D which had 16x so im going to guess the amount of zones maybe between 500 and 1000.

There could be blooming due to the photography. Archer should have a first impressions article within the next two days. He was the first pro to find grey bars in the Z9F. Hopefully the Z9G will be a true z9d successor.

8mile13 01-08-2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLM87 (Post 57399726)
Blooming? It has awful contrast. The x900f is a better home theater display, especially the 85inch. The contrast was not acceptable for a flagship and only really works in a bright room. PQ is all about blacks. It's like a canvas. Blacks bring out the image. I don't mean any disrespect, but grey bars are not considered "outstanding PQ". The z9f also lacks the BMD which is why the contrast works in a similar way to an IPS display. Testimonials? The z9f thread is bias. Most reviewers found it a step in the wrong direction. I've seen the z9f in person and it looks very similar to an IPS display as John Archer emphasized. The bars don't stay black. The z9g should be better, but black levels could suffer due to the x-wide tech. The x-wide creates an IPS/VA hybrid performance, which is worst than most VA panels. There is a reason Sony brought back the BMD for the Z9G release. Sony is moving towards CLEDIS which will eventually replace Sony VA BMD panels.

They actually demod a 100 or so inch CLEDIS at €500,000 not that long ago which puts ''moving towards CLEDIS'' in perspective. Sony is highly likely moving toward MiniLED FALD with their LCD highend stuff next few years.

anthonymoody 01-08-2019 11:31 AM

Not a fan of announcements without MSRPs.

aflorida 01-08-2019 02:37 PM

Here's Full details on the new SONY TV lineup

Here's Full Details on the new SONY TV lineup
This is a good read with full details on the new SONY TV lineup

DJR662 01-08-2019 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA_DaveB (Post 57397882)
Maybe, but the effect of the X-Wide angle layer on black levels and blooming is the "wild card". I would expect contrast ratios somewhere better than the Z9F's 3379:1 and Z9D's 7976:1 (with local dimming on). That would yield something in the 5500:1 range which is just average for mid-range VA panels. And there's no way that the X-Wide angle layer doesn't cause increased blooming, especially off angle.

Not exactly encouraging words, I do hope you're wrong though.

If Sony pulls another Z9F with this, then they must be crazy.

MLM87 01-08-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR662 (Post 57401402)
Not exactly encouraging words, I do hope you're wrong though.

If Sony pulls another Z9F with this, then they must be crazy.

It seems Sony's pushing Oled until CLEDIS becomes cost-effective.

bobbino421 01-08-2019 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leamingtonspacem (Post 57399634)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MLM87 (Post 57396242)
The z9f has pretty bad pq because of x-wide and a lack of BMD tech.

If you think the Z9F has bad PQ then you never had a good look and this is from a non owner. Yes I know you own a Z9D but let’s not get carried away now. Z9F has some issues but it’s way better than you give it credit for. I’m sure we already had this conversation before so I won’t rehash.

bobbino421 01-08-2019 03:00 PM

Sony has alot riding on this one! I’m just confused on why they would release a flagship class again so soon? I was also disappointed there is no 75 inch but I guess because it’s 8K and they already have a high end 75 inch panel they just released?

thomasfxlt 01-08-2019 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLM87 (Post 57401532)

6 new LCD’s introduced and they’re pushing OLED?

MLM87 01-08-2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matsonia (Post 57399748)

It should be a lot of zones, but x-wide may create some blooming problems. Archer will have more details later today or tomorrow.

bobbino421 01-08-2019 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomasfxlt (Post 57401622)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MLM87 (Post 57401532)

6 new LCD’s introduced and they’re pushing OLED?

Yeah if they were pushing OLED so hard where is the 8K 2.1 version? LCD is not going anywhere until OLEDs drop in price. The masses don’t buy OLEDs they buy $500 LCD sets at Walmart. Larger panel high end LCD’s are alternatives to Larger OLEDs cause they just don’t make enough of them they are still way up there in price. I would not be surprised if the 77A9G and 85 Z9G were close in price and well above $10K

ferro 01-08-2019 03:20 PM

A short interview with a Sony Representative about Z9G:

https://blog.abt.com/2019/01/ces-2019-sony-z9g-8k-led-tv-and-a9g-oled-tv/

Most notable information: Z9G and A9G should be available this spring.

SnellTHX 01-08-2019 03:21 PM

Lets hope the ZG9 is much better than the flop that was ZF9, which performed more like a 'ZC9' than a 'ZF9'

SnellTHX 01-08-2019 03:24 PM

Quote:

Noooooo... :(

SnellTHX 01-08-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 57396254)

Well there you go... Expected this kind of TV in 2017 though... like a ZE9

thomasfxlt 01-08-2019 03:33 PM

There seems to be a lot of anguish about tv’s people don’t even own and tons of opinions without any personal experience. I find that odd.

Anyway, the Z9G looks like a great tv and I would hope the 85” priced similarly to the 77” OLED. To be determined.

unknownuser200 01-09-2019 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomasfxlt (Post 57401920)
There seems to be a lot of anguish about tv’s people don’t even own and tons of opinions without any personal experience. I find that odd.

Anyway, the Z9G looks like a great tv and I would hope the 85” priced similarly to the 77” OLED. To be determined.

prolly i would guess these are are samsung panels as its awfully coincidental samsung is also releasing a 85 and 98 inch 8k sets. so w/e their pricing turns out to be id imagine this would be similar

bobbino421 01-09-2019 11:07 AM

Matsonia 01-09-2019 12:03 PM

Sounds decent but Archer always seems to get a little carried away in the way he describes things lol. Brightness and peak brightness impressive he says more so than even the Q900 but there wasn't much black content shown and he does mention some blooming into the bars on Jumanji.

bobbino421 01-09-2019 12:11 PM

58 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matsonia (Post 57407284)
Sounds decent but Archer always seems to get a little carried away in the way he describes things lol. Brightness and peak brightness impressive he says more so than even the Q900 but there wasn't much black content shown and he does mention some blooming into the bars on Jumanji.

I think he exaggerated things with the last Z not saying he is totally wrong and I think he is a little bit of a Rah Rah guy for Samsung maybe?

Menarini 01-09-2019 12:22 PM

To people wanting smaller sizes,
This is sony's debut into 8k technology, so they want the largest screens to show off the benefits of the increased 400% pixel count of 8k compared to 4k. The 85 and 98 will release in spring this year. Once the 'debut season' is over, I suspect the z9g will get models in smaller 75 and 65" sizes later on, either september this year or next year.
And i believe the z9g will easily beat the zf9 in backlight control as well as brightness, blacks should at least be at zd9 levels or better and brightness would be much higher than zd9.

People who passed on the zf9 probably made a wise decision, zf9 was just a mediocre lcd (though with excellent panel uniformity). With the z9g you are looking at a real flagship.

sjchmura 01-09-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

SO does that mean a HDMI 2.0b video card say a GTX 2080 could drive 4k 120hz or do you need HDMI 2.1 to drive the 4k 120 (yes I know it wuld have to be at 4:2:2 , not 4:4:4 to get 18gbs)

bobbino421 01-09-2019 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 57407442)
This is sony's debut into 8k technology, so they want the largest screens to show off the benefits of the increased 400% pixel count of 8k compared to 4k. The 85 and 98 will release in spring this year. Once the 'debut season' is over, I suspect the z9g will get models in smaller 75 and 65" sizes later on, either september this year or next year.
And i believe the z9g will easily beat the zf9 in backlight control as well as brightness, blacks should at least be at zd9 levels or better and brightness would be much higher than zd9.

People who passed on the zf9 probably made a wise decision, zf9 was just a mediocre lcd (though with excellent panel uniformity). With the z9g you are looking at a real flagship.

I’m one of those who wants and is disappointed the the Z9G did not come in the 75 inch range! I may wait for another cycle?

thomasfxlt 01-09-2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

I’d hardly call it mediocre.. basing that on specs or personal experience?

mithras1 01-09-2019 04:19 PM

Quote:

A ZG9 is no competition for ZF9 buyers in terms of pricing (nor sizing), so real smart to hold of from buying those ZF9's :D.

aflorida 01-09-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbino421 (Post 57408114)
I’m one of those who wants and is disappointed the the Z9G did not come in the 75 inch range! I may wait for another cycle?

the Z9G's are 8K.....I don't know if SONY releases a "smaller" version (65 inch and 75 inch perhaps) later on this year (September perhaps) .....will it be 4K or 8K is the question !
Will SONY (at this point in time) only produce their 8K Tv's in the largest size possible ?

ray0414 01-09-2019 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unknownuser200 (Post 57404882)
prolly i would guess these are are samsung panels as its awfully coincidental samsung is also releasing a 85 and 98 inch 8k sets. so w/e their pricing turns out to be id imagine this would be similar

How do you know Samsung is using Samsung panels for their large sizes? I'd guess they are either AOU or Innolex.

bobbino421 01-09-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aflorida (Post 57409438)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbino421 (Post 57408114)

the Z9G's are 8K.....I don't know if SONY releases a "smaller" version (65 inch and 75 inch perhaps) later on this year (September perhaps) .....will it be 4K or 8K is the question !
Will SONY (at this point in time) only produce their 8K Tv's in the largest size possible ?

A lot of questions and possibilities. The other manufacturers I think are producing 8K panels in smaller sizes and I realize they only benefit the really large ones like 80 and up but I think they could get away with a 75 inch but probably not a 65?

half vader 01-10-2019 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egrady (Post 57397968)

How many R&D dollars are they actually spending on the 8k panel though? Not much I'd say as the panel isn't theirs. Surely the dough would be going into the backlight/FALD, x-wide layer, processing and so on. And even the dual database stuff is just an upgrade of already existing tech. The only real thing to do with the panel itself would be how the uprezzing (just another extension) interacts with the database/recognition stuff.

And surely they ARE spending dough on better blacks if the Master Backlight is back?

All will be revealed soon enough I guess if Spring rumours are true. Having said that though I'm grateful they announced it now and didn't pull a fast one like the Z9d (days after I decided it was safe to buy a 940D), I still feel they're gonna release in the second half of the year.

DJR662 01-10-2019 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by half vader (Post 57417550)

All will be revealed soon enough I guess if Spring rumours are true. Having said that though I'm grateful they announced it now and didn't pull a fast one like the Z9d (days after I decided it was safe to buy a 940D), I still feel they're gonna release in the second half of the year.

Lol.

I wonder how many people could join in if I started a "I just bought a X940D and now the Z9D is announced" thread. :D

bobbino421 01-11-2019 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR662 (Post 57417596)
Quote:

Lol.

I wonder how many people could join in if I started a "I just bought a X940D and now the Z9D is announced" thread. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Haha or a clearance C model which I did lol back in 16 and boom 6 months later surprise surprise!

brianmorris82 01-11-2019 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbino421 (Post 57418418)
Haha or a clearance C model which I did lol back in 16 and boom 6 months later surprise surprise!

Same thing happened to me with a 940c, Was afraid it was going to happen again earlier this year when I bought a 75z9d a few months before the z9f was released. I was so relieved to read the reviews of the z9f when it came out.

videobruce 01-11-2019 07:35 AM

It would help if the OP would provide the manufactures name and screen sizes in the thread title! Just three characters approaches meaningless territory.

Also the OP should include full specs, not some dime a dozen U-boon video. Both makes searching for and getting basic info about different models far easier. ;)

Cleveland Plasma 01-11-2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbino421 (Post 57401614)
Sony has alot riding on this one! I’m just confused on why they would release a flagship class again so soon? I was also disappointed there is no 75 inch but I guess because it’s 8K and they already have a high end 75 inch panel they just released?

Probably will not be released until like September, around Cedia. There is still limited to no stock on the XBR-75Z9F that was just released...Z9G is way down the road....

Blackman 01-11-2019 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnellTHX (Post 57401800)
Lets hope the ZG9 is much better than the flop that was ZF9, which performed more like a 'ZC9' than a 'ZF9'

Well Said!!!!!! This have to be a record in time to replace are current Master series TV. All you have to do is look at the Z9D as this TV lasted 2.1/2 years and I bet some shops in the US still have NEW ones but yet the Z9F has not be out long and yet a Z9G is coming out very soon and has been stated in that video that Sony is going back to their old BMD drive to get better blacks. LOL.
Only disappointment is a 75 inch model and lack of it and this alone will save the 75 inch Z9F owners.

Blackman 01-11-2019 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma (Post 57421812)
Probably will not be released until like September, around Cedia. There is still limited to no stock on the XBR-75Z9F that was just released...Z9G is way down the road....

In Australia there is a possibility that the Z9F will now not to be released after Sony said that they will. Something is going ON

brianmorris82 01-11-2019 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackman (Post 57422724)
In Australia there is a possibility that the Z9F will now not to be released after Sony said that they will. Something is going ON

Could be complete BS but i stopped in the magnolia best buy where I bought my display z9d shortly after the z9f was released. They had a 65" on display. I ask if they had a 75" on display and the rep that sold me my z9d said that Sony recalled all the 75" models for some kind of problem with the FALD (I remember reading on these forums that there was a shortage of the 75" model but don"t remember the specifics). I was in there about a week ago and they still don't have a 75" on display... The tv sitting in the spot that my 75z9d once occupied for almost two years is still an 85" 900f. I expected the 75" z9f to have been moved to to replace the 900f but it was not. The rep commented that he thinks Sony made a mistake with the z9f. Maybe they learned a lesson with the z9g being released so soon (yes I realize that the z9g is only available in the larger sizes for now but I wouldn't be surprised to see smaller sizes released later this year).

half vader 01-11-2019 06:34 PM

Quote:

How many R&D dollars are they actually spending on the 8k panel though? Not much I'd say as the panel isn't theirs. Surely the dough would be going into the backlight/FALD, x-wide layer, processing and so on. And even the dual database stuff is just an upgrade of already existing tech. The only real thing to do with the panel itself would be how the uprezzing (just another extension) interacts with the database/recognition stuff.

And surely they ARE spending dough on better blacks if the Master Backlight is back?

Quote:

No mate, it's not. It's been released. If you're not talking Sony stores, then you're probably talking JB, who have messed things up royally by making the 75"z9f order-only. Which is cutting off their nose despite their face, as they're not gonna sell if people can't look at them. They do have the A series though, F and G.

Also, we're getting off-topic here and into unfounded rumour territory. I was talking both and only about previous models in context of this Z9g announcement. Cheers.

half vader 01-11-2019 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR662 (Post 57417596)
Lol.

I wonder how many people could join in if I started a "I just bought a X940D and now the Z9D is announced" thread. :D

:D Ohhhh quite a few I reckon!

So again, good on 'em for announcing this at CES - no matter how late in the year it comes out.

Blackman 01-11-2019 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by half vader (Post 57422996)
No mate, it's not. It's been released. If you're not talking Sony stores, then you're probably talking JB, who have messed things up royally by making the 75"z9f order-only. Which is cutting off their nose despite their face, as they're not gonna sell if people can't look at them. They do have the A series though, F and G.

Also, we're getting off-topic here and into unfounded rumour territory. I was talking both and only about previous models in context of this Z9g announcement. Cheers.

I spoke to Jb's, Harvey Norman, The Good guys and nobody knew about the Z9F. Now were are talking about the three biggest players in OZ. If you are talking about "Special Orders only" what chance does the Z9f have. Maybe the Z9g will be the same

DJR662 01-12-2019 12:33 AM

Quote:

Well, by then at least the 940C was the better model of the 940 series from what I understood? The 940D was a stepback because it had less dimming zones than the C.

Btw you still on the lookout for a new TV? I seem to remember you were on the hunt and possibly looking into getting the Z9F if I'm not mistaken.

Plutotype 01-12-2019 04:06 AM

Hi folks,
Are the Z9G´s 8k LCDs native 120Hz panels?
Thanks

js950 01-12-2019 05:45 AM

Quote:

Whomever is making that panel will view it as a special order and you can be certain that Sony is paying a premium for it. What they save on R&D, they are more than paying for in the panel purchase.

js950 01-12-2019 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackman (Post 57422678)
Well Said!!!!!! This have to be a record in time to replace are current Master series TV. All you have to do is look at the Z9D as this TV lasted 2.1/2 years and I bet some shops in the US still have NEW ones but yet the Z9F has not be out long and yet a Z9G is coming out very soon and has been stated in that video that Sony is going back to their old BMD drive to get better blacks. LOL.
Only disappointment is a 75 inch model and lack of it and this alone will save the 75 inch Z9F owners.

Doesn't actually look to be a replacement though. Looks more like they will be sold side by side in their different sizes.

calambert 01-12-2019 08:58 AM

Quote:

https://store.sony.com.au/television/KD75Z9F.html

bobbino421 01-12-2019 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR662 (Post 57424226)
Quote:

Well, by then at least the 940C was the better model of the 940 series from what I understood? The 940D was a stepback because it had less dimming zones than the C.

Btw you still on the lookout for a new TV? I seem to remember you were on the hunt and possibly looking into getting the Z9F if I'm not mistaken.

Yes I’m still on the hunt for a big panel. I bought a 55 A9F for now since I got rid of my 930C. I like the Z9F but now the G came out I’m intrigued but I don’t know if I can swing an 85 inch in both size and price and of course I need to see how it performs? I really wanted them to release a 75 inch G and that being said I may be interested in 77 A9G but again it’s going to up there in price like Z9G. I going to move on from the Z9F and wait the next 75 inch LCD in the Z series. I don’t think the 950G is going to better than the Z9F also. I agree I always thought the C models were better than D except for the Z9D. My 930C was a powerhouse for an edge lit tv imo.

Blackman 01-12-2019 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calambert (Post 57425510)

Only yesterday I spoke to Jb's at North Lakes and the salesman there told me with a raised voice We wont stock them, If you want them they are Special Orders and Special conditions. Hummmmm

I do Know that when I purchased the LG 86 inch SJ957T in 2017 Video Pro Had to order it but when they order it LG told the Shop they have to order two of them and Video Pro was concerned that they could be stuck with it as the Tv was worth $13900 (lemon of a TV) at the time an most people will NEVER spend that much money on a TV. Although the Sony 75 inch Z9F is under $8000 but again most people wont spend that money not unless you are a person that wants quality and since the people that spend that money like us they also know the Problems that the Z9F has and keep away from it.
Trust me I know first hand to order a Special Tv like the 86 inch SJ 957T and when you get it and it has problems so you have to get dirty to get rid of it, More than the typical tv that has Faults.

By the way we did know that the 86 inch LG was IPS and had poor blacks and we could put up with that but not Back light bleeding, Blooming, Excessive IPS Glow.