2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 100 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1664Likes

post #2971 of 4500 Old 11-25-2019, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes800 View Post
Dellamorte13, since i was an owner of both Q70r and Q80r for a few days, i can give you an advice about it. If you care about good motion, no dirty screen effect and dark details, stay away from Samsung qleds. You wont get blooming with Q80R and viewing angle is very good, (at the expense of contrast) but it has heavy black crush. You can't make out any details in dark hdr content on qleds. That's samsung's so called "perfect, near oled blacks", achieved by crushing the blacks, which is as good as cheating. Not to mention heavy dse and ****ty motion that every Samsung has, even Q90R. That's why i returned both Samsung tvs and bought Sony x950g. Personally, i prefer a little blooming and bad viewing angle to black crush, dse and crappy motion.
So if that's the case, do you or anyone else know if the older Sony models (in 55" of course) have better viewing angles or less blooming?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 4500 Old 11-25-2019, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Question for 950G owners: is there still a USB glitch on this TV? Example (my 900E): I have USB/LED backlighting. When I turn off the set, the USB stays powered on, then off, then on, then off... and the cycle continues no matter what USB port I put these lights on.

I am so eyeballing the 75" 950G - stunning in Demo mode and reading comments, stunning in normal mode.

No Bling
post #2973 of 4500 Old 11-25-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellamorte13 View Post
So if that's the case, do you or anyone else know if the older Sony models (in 55" of course) have better viewing angles or less blooming?
If you really want best viewing angles, and dont want to see any blooming you should consider an oled. 55" prices are reasonable. Just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2974 of 4500 Old 11-25-2019, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent View Post
Question for 950G owners: is there still a USB glitch on this TV? Example (my 900E): I have USB/LED backlighting. When I turn off the set, the USB stays powered on, then off, then on, then off... and the cycle continues no matter what USB port I put these lights on.

I am so eyeballing the 75" 950G - stunning in Demo mode and reading comments, stunning in normal mode.
I experienced this exact same thing with my bias lighting connected to the USB on this set. It was a bit of a let down. I instead had to opt for connecting it to a smart plug.
ImpliedConsent likes this.

LG OLED55C7P | Sony 75X950G | LG UP970 | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121
post #2975 of 4500 Old 11-25-2019, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent View Post

I do not expect that you will see a change in what you've experienced due to how the set works. When it "wakes up" periodically, various device pieces like the USB ports will be powered and those lights will go on. Get yourself a power strip that has the ability to control plugs in the strip based on the status of other devices. I have a soundbar plugged in to a "master" plug and the power for my bias lighting connected into a "controlled" plug on that same strip. TV powers on, that powers the sound bar on via HDMI-CEC, and that ends up causing the lights to come on. Reverse is true when powering up. Works flawlessly.

EVERY now and then, the sound bar will turn back on immediately after a power-off, but it recognizes the TV is still of about a minute later and turns back off.
ImpliedConsent likes this.
post #2976 of 4500 Old 11-25-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
If you really want best viewing angles, and dont want to see any blooming you should consider an oled. 55" prices are reasonable. Just a thought.
I would but I don't want burn in and I know I'll get it because I tend to fall asleep (and pass out) with the tv on.

Not to mention, after reading a review of the Sony A8, I'm worried about no motion blur and slow panning shots/slower motion issues. Can anyone tell me I'm wrong there?
post #2977 of 4500 Old 11-25-2019, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would but I don't want burn in and I know I'll get it because I tend to fall asleep (and pass out) with the tv on.
What's on the screen when you're asleep? Test patterns? The biggest risk of burn-in comes from the stupid network logos that are displayed during the main content and ticker boxes that scroll across the screen. Active content isn't going to create burn in while you're sleeping and NOT create it while you're awake.
post #2978 of 4500 Old 11-25-2019, 11:52 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
I do not expect that you will see a change in what you've experienced due to how the set works. When it "wakes up" periodically, various device pieces like the USB ports will be powered and those lights will go on. Get yourself a power strip that has the ability to control plugs in the strip based on the status of other devices. I have a soundbar plugged in to a "master" plug and the power for my bias lighting connected into a "controlled" plug on that same strip. TV powers on, that powers the sound bar on via HDMI-CEC, and that ends up causing the lights to come on. Reverse is true when powering up. Works flawlessly.
Bias Lighting... that's right, thank you for correcting me (in a good way). Well, that's disappointing. I understand that the TV might power up to check for updates occasionally during the day, but my 900E powers up for about 5min, off for about 5min, then rinse-n-repeat throughout the day. I'm simplifying the times, because it's actually random as hell.
I was hoping the 950G wouldn't do that for the simple sake of Bias Lighting. Sony should know that many people use the USB ports for lighting... this can't be a surprise or hasn't been reported. I like your solution and will put it into play when I get that 75"'er.
meburdick likes this.

No Bling
post #2979 of 4500 Old 11-25-2019, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJHooK View Post
I experienced this exact same thing with my bias lighting connected to the USB on this set. It was a bit of a let down. I instead had to opt for connecting it to a smart plug.
I have a 65" 950 on the way. I have my system hooked up with power sensing surge protector so my Marantz 7702mkII turns on and off everything but my PC and network devices. Works very well for my needs.
post #2980 of 4500 Old 11-25-2019, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Dellamorte, whatever you intend to buy, just stay away from x900f, because it is an overrated piece of crap and i just couldn't believe how can anyone be happy with that tv. I returned it in less than 4 hours after plugging in. I think x950g is a very nice tv with the least amount of cons out of any other lcd tv and i can sense i'll finally be happy with a tv when i get x950g. As for Oled, i've seen LG C9 in the store and i have to say it was juddering like crazy. It's instant response rate makes fast paced motion very stuttery and personally i couldn't watch it without motion processing on high.
I think you couldn't miss with x950g. Tbh it doesn't really have that bad angle viewing after all. Compared to x900f and some older VA panels, it is quite alright.
Dellamorte13 likes this.
post #2981 of 4500 Old 11-25-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
What's on the screen when you're asleep? Test patterns?
DVD menus and Xbox One home screen, SNES mini game select screen (all of which have static images).

Quote:
As for Oled, i've seen LG C9 in the store and i have to say it was juddering like crazy. It's instant response rate makes fast paced motion very stuttery and personally i couldn't watch it without motion processing on high.
Yeah, I seriously thought the only problem I'd face with these OLEDs is the burn in, but now that I'm actually researching them more, I've found out that all the good ones also have motion problems.

Quote:
think you couldn't miss with x950g. Tbh it doesn't really have that bad angle viewing after all. Compared to x900f and some older VA panels, it is quite alright.
Seriously, the wash out in the 950 is really bad though. I changed the settings around and that helped mildly but if you look at it from any angle other than directly in front, then it looks washed out. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't be here, because I'd be happy with it, blooming and all.

I'm just at the end of my rope and don't know what to do anymore and I'm tired of being stressed out about this. I have to figure out if I should take it back or not.
Freddypop likes this.
post #2982 of 4500 Old 11-25-2019, 02:18 PM

Is the angle viewing really that bad? I haven't received the tv yet but from what i've seen in the store, side by side x950g vs x900f, the x950g seemed way better to me. What's the aprox angle at which the picture is starting to wash out? 25 or 30? I really can't advise you about whether you should return it or not, but it depends on how many people are watching it at the same time and what is the room like. Maybe you could just fit it that way so it wouldn't be possible to watch it off sharp angle? Otherwise your only options left would be Sony master lcd series. Z9D, Z9F or the newest Z9G? That way you get good angle viewing and good motion at the same time. But they are very expensive. Even the last year's Z9F in 55" still costs almost the same as Sony's top Oled in 55".
post #2983 of 4500 Old 11-25-2019, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Anyone else experience that the HDMI-CEC doesn't play well with other non-Sony devices. With my previous sets, including my LG OLED, my Apple TV4K and the 4k/UHD player would turn on my TV. Yet, this isn't the case when I try it on this set.

Is there something in the settings I need to tweak?

I'm rather disappointed that I have to use separate remotes for my soundbar and all the other devices too.

LG OLED55C7P | Sony 75X950G | LG UP970 | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121
post #2984 of 4500 Old 11-25-2019, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
DVD menus and Xbox One home screen, SNES mini game select screen (all of which have static images).
Hmmm. Ok. So, you'll fall asleep mid-movie and then when it wraps it returns to the main screens (depending on device)? I can see where that could be a bit problematic, too.

What about power saving on the connected devices that would shut them down, and then the TV can power off after no signal as well? WiFi smart plugs that shut off at a specific time? Sleep timer on the TV?
Dellamorte13 likes this.
post #2985 of 4500 Old 11-25-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Is the angle viewing really that bad?
Yes, it is. If I sit directly in front of it, I'm in the center of my couch, it looks amazing..like freaking AMAZING. If I move my neck to the side, without moving the rest of my body, the blacks are gone almost completely. If I scoot over a little more, it's instant contrast wash out and it only gets worse from there. Also, almost the entire left side of the TV is white like one big bloom. That, itself is always washed out.

In the store, you really have to look for it because it's so bright in Best Buy. I've tried moving my couch, my entertainment center and the TV to no avail. If I move anything else anymore, the room will look weird.
I wish I could afford any of the Z series, but $1k for this meh TV is all I can afford and even that's pushing it.

Quote:
Hmmm. Ok. So, you'll fall asleep mid-movie and then when it wraps it returns to the main screens (depending on device)? I can see where that could be a bit problematic, too.

What about power saving on the connected devices that would shut them down, and then the TV can power off after no signal as well? WiFi smart plugs that shut off at a specific time? Sleep timer on the TV?
I was considering all that until I read just today about OLED and motion issues.
post #2986 of 4500 Old 11-25-2019, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Anyone else experience that the HDMI-CEC doesn't play well with other non-Sony devices. With my previous sets, including my LG OLED, my Apple TV4K and the 4k/UHD player would turn on my TV. Yet, this isn't the case when I try it on this set.

I'm rather disappointed that I have to use separate remotes for my soundbar and all the other devices too.
No, it should work. Post your CEC settings. Also, in Bravia Sync (CEC), there is a device listing. You should see everything there. Be sure to click the enable button. FWIW, I dont set mine up that way. I dont want other devices to be able to turn TV on. I want the TV to control other devices.
PeeJHooK likes this.
post #2987 of 4500 Old 11-25-2019, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm debating whether to get this TV or the A8G for more money. I saw a couple questions in this thread about reversing the legs, but has anyone actually done it?

According to an ABT Electronics reply to a comment on this video:
they said, "Yes, they do fit, however it's not something recommended by Sony so please be cautious if you choose to reverse them."
post #2988 of 4500 Old 11-25-2019, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Nope. There are tabs to prevent it. But I'm guessing nothing a Dremel couldn't cure. Around 3:30 - 3:50 mark easy to see.

jimsmith94 likes this.
post #2989 of 4500 Old 11-25-2019, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

When I turn on my tv, and I go to any input, it turns on that device and my Sony remote controls everything.
PeeJHooK likes this.

Think before you speak....
post #2990 of 4500 Old 11-25-2019, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigslue View Post
Nope. There are tabs to prevent it. But I'm guessing nothing a Dremel couldn't cure. Around 3:30 - 3:50 mark easy to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoLz4FOUjjU
Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know!
post #2991 of 4500 Old 11-25-2019, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Yep the 900F could be swapped but I guess Sony didn't like that idea so they changed it.
jimsmith94 likes this.
post #2992 of 4500 Old 11-25-2019, 09:51 PM

Liked: 13
I bought a 55 inch model two weeks ago...but I returned it to get the 65 inch instead. I love this TV, which replaced a defective plasma from the good old days.

I noticed that the 55 inch model would clearly display any content as soon as you clicked on a show or movie. The bigger set, however, seems to display a fuzzy image which becomes clear after 5 to 10 seconds (like there is some buffering happening). Is anyone else's 950 doing this?

Other than this "issue", the TV is perfect. Yeah, the viewing angles are not great at there is some barely noticeable blooming. I'm really happy with the purchase.
post #2993 of 4500 Old 11-25-2019, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thinking of trying Disney+ Is DV and Atmos supported with the onboard app?
post #2994 of 4500 Old 11-25-2019, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone with a 75” mind sharing the distance from the bottom wall mounting hole to the bottom of the tv?

I have very small margin for error above my center speaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Craigslue likes this.
post #2995 of 4500 Old 11-25-2019, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo8720 View Post
not the place, but the Espn app on the 950G has (seemingly) been fixed to no longer drop about every third frame.
I was wrong. Problem still exists.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Sony XBR-65X950G (2019) w/ Yamaha RX-677 w/ 3.1
Xbox One X
Apple TV 4K
YouTube TV
Sony XBR-43X830C (2015) w/ Xbox One S, LG 60PM6700 (2012)
post #2996 of 4500 Old 11-25-2019, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_wayne View Post
Anyone with a 75” mind sharing the distance from the bottom wall mounting hole to the bottom of the tv?

I have very small margin for error above my center speaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the same issue with my 65" I have coming. the Samsung's show that in their manuals. Be nice to be able to find that on the Sony's.
post #2997 of 4500 Old 11-25-2019, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Have a weird issue with my laptop when I use the HDMI out port. It always flashes and flickers black until I switch from standard to enhanced or vice versa on the HDMI input setting on the X950G. It doesn't seem to favor either setting more, just needs to be switched to fix glitching. Latest drivers on laptop etc already.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #2998 of 4500 Old 11-26-2019, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 64
For tv mounting info use this official Sony documentation.
Select the Cut Sheet for details

http://www.sonypremiumhome.com/documentation.php
jimsmith94 likes this.
post #2999 of 4500 Old 11-26-2019, 06:45 AM

I give up. I think I'm just going to take this PoS back and go back to my LG 1080p that has better off axis viewing than anything on the market right now. It's weird how that works.

I really liked this TV at first (that is, until I moved an inch over in the couch) and I was excited to get it, but now I'm just sad that it didn't work out and pissed off that I can't find a decent replacement. There are a lot of good things about this model and I don't mind the letterbox bleed that would've upset me a few years ago, but that off angle viewing kills it because it's so noticable and really is this set's Achilles heel. If only I had a bigger room, I would go for the 75".

I keep thinking that if I end up keeping it, that I'm going to resent myself for spending $1K on it and one day that remote will end up through the center of the TV. I've only been watching 1080p content anyway because I'm afraid to buy a 4K HDR blu ray player because I'm afraid the off angle viewing will be even worse. I just want a good 4K TV and I guess that's asking too much these days.

To those who replied, thanks for your help and to Sony, thanks for making me stressed the F out.
Freddypop likes this.
post #3000 of 4500 Old 11-26-2019, 08:09 AM

Heheh you made me laugh about your LG 1080p, because i can totally relate to you in this regard. I have returned 3 tv sets in the past month (sony x900f, samsung q70r and q80r) due to whole lot of cons. At home, i still have my 2014 LG 1080p model (LB 670V) and i can tell you the more i'm experiencing these new fancy 4k sets, the more i'm realizing that a good ol' 1080p LG beats them all. It doesn't have 4k and hdr, but it has a backlit fald, no blooming issues, the best angle viewing ever and the best motion out of any tvs out there. No joke about this. I've seen it with my own eyes. If it weren't for sony x950g, i wouldn't buy anything and i'd just stick to my old LG. I think that these new blooming and motion issues are more pronounced on 4k tvs, then they were on older 1080p sets. Btw, were you happy with the motion on x950g?
Anyways, i wish you a good decision about tv. Good luck!
Dellamorte13 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page