2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 102 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1643Likes

post #3031 of 4444 Old 11-27-2019, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Rhodes800, please write you review about cons (motion and other stuff) when you get it. I am running Panasonic P42ST50E plasma and thinking about getting this TV but looks like there are to many trade offs (black, viewing angle, no blooming).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 4444 Old 11-27-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 2355
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post
^^^^^^
This...The X950G has a baked in layer in the panel to improve off axis viewing at the expense of contrast and color in reading both forums. Prepare to be disappointed..
FWIW I saw Sony X950G 75", 85", Sony X900F 75" side-by-side in-store yesterday. I think most would be very pleased, and certainly do not need to "prepare to be disappointed". To the left of these displays were Sony A8G 65", and Sony A9G 65" OLEDs.

Marvelous, so refined, compared to the competition, of which, LG C9 came the closest. If some of this perception was due to LG and Samsung's worse pre-calibration, then so be it.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #3033 of 4444 Old 11-27-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So all this negative talk about the bigger x950g's. Is this something you can look at in stores like Best Buy? Like Stand in front of it and then move over 10' to either side and see? Is that a good test?

We are in desperate need of a replacement of a 10+ year old Pioneer Kuro 60". Not digging the Samsungs and the 77" OLEDs are just so expensive. I cant believe a ~$2k 75" Sony can be that bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3034 of 4444 Old 11-27-2019, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck View Post
So all this negative talk about the bigger x950g's. Is this something you can look at in stores like Best Buy? Like Stand in front of it and then move over 10' to either side and see? Is that a good test?

We are in desperate need of a replacement of a 10+ year old Pioneer Kuro 60". Not digging the Samsungs and the 77" OLEDs are just so expensive. I cant believe a ~$2k 75" Sony can be that bad.
Yes it is, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the slightness of contrast loss.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

post #3035 of 4444 Old 11-27-2019, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
FWIW I saw Sony X950G 75", 85", Sony X900F 75" side-by-side in-store yesterday. I think most would be very pleased, and certainly do not need to "prepare to be disappointed". To the left of these displays were Sony A8G 65", and Sony A9G 65" OLEDs.

Marvelous, so refined, compared to the competition, of which, LG C9 came the closest. If some of this perception was due to LG and Samsung's worse pre-calibration, then so be it.

Yes most people including me would be pleased but I think Rhodes800 will be dissapointed, he already returned x900f, q70r and q80r and is calling x900f garbage, so I expect him to be dissapointed with x950g.
post #3036 of 4444 Old 11-27-2019, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy View Post
I appreciate your post. I was actually going to buy the Samsung Q80R a few days ago but the Magnolia guy mentioned to me about the Sony X900F and the X950G would probably be better due to the tv being in the basement where sun would not be an issue. I really wanted to get the 900F due to the black Friday pricing on their 75" but after reading so much complaints about the DV and other things it makes me wonder if the 700 increase to the same size 950G is worth it...
One question when you say "motion" what exactly do you mean that Samsung doesn't do motion good? I ask only because the TV we have now is a 12 year old 47" Visio that's pretty much just 1080. Nothing as far as smart features. I keep seeing people mention great motion engine/bad motion engine..etc. Why exactly is one TV worse/better than the other in terms of that? I guess from me being "out" of the game for so long I've always just taken for granted that what I stream of view is motion (isn't anything moving on the tv considered motion?) and it looks fine to me. I too was turned off after seeing comparisons of the Q80R with how much detail is lost in the blacks... that was actually something I would have never even realized unless seeing a side by side.
If you don't need X950G 75" X-Wide Angle, eARC, Ultimate Processor, IMAX Enhanced, and three adjustments for DV, and you don't need Q80R 75" Ultra Viewing Angle, (no Dolby Vision for Q80R) then consider the cheaper 2018 X900F 75". If Dolby Vision is a big deal, then X950G three adjustments for DV may weigh greater.

All are good TVs. The two Sony really show their stuff in variably-lit rooms, say bright to mid-dark. Q80R for less bright to darker rooms. The Sony would be better at handling reflection, but that may not be an issue in your basement.

Motion shouldn't be an issue for any of them.

Hope this helps some. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Last edited by Panson; 11-27-2019 at 03:05 PM.
post #3037 of 4444 Old 11-27-2019, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Not having it yet, tommorow i'll have it delivered, but i have it tested in the store with various content and settings. It is miles better than x900f in every way. Half less blooming, more punchy colors and DV actually works properly on x950g.
post #3038 of 4444 Old 11-27-2019, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes800 View Post
Not having it yet, tommorow i'll have it delivered, but i have it tested in the store with various content and settings. It is miles better than x900f in every way. Half less blooming, more punchy colors and DV actually works properly on x950g.

What size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3039 of 4444 Old 11-27-2019, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJHooK View Post
Hey everyone. I got this set delivered yesterday and have had a few hours to watch on it thus far. I have to say, the reviews are rather on point with the many positives that have been stated. The picture is excellent and vibrant, and I especially noticed the outstanding natural colors and the stout processing that people rave about on this set. I watched Into the Badlands on netflix, and I swear I was watching 4k content from about 9 feet away (I have a 75"). I also noticed how much more the colors stood out on this set that I never noticed with the previous vizio M series set from 2017.

Unfortunately, I have noticed the cons as well, especially with regard to the blooming. I don't know yet if it's a dealbreaker to me, so that's what I wanted to post about. I do a good amount of movie watching on this set with the letterbox bars present at night in complete darkness and with a bias light on. I watched the third act of Avengers End Game in Dolby Vision, and the blooming was especially distracting during some scenes. I tweaked the settings, but still found it to be too noticeable. I watched in DV bright and dark modes, and I set the auto local dimming to medium for both.

Are there any other tweaks I can make to the picture settings that would help minimize this to the point of it being less distracting, while maintaining a punchy HDR/DV picture? I am also having my set professionally calibrated in a few weeks, and i'm wondering if that may help? But I also don't want to pay for it only to find it to still be noticeable afterwards.

My options came down to this set or the q80. But I went with this set because I preferred better shadow detail in dark scenes despite somewhat lighter black levels over better blacks but crushed black with the q80.

I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
Reposting for feedback.

On another note, regarding the picture quality of Into the Badlands, I watched it on OLED to compare, and I have to admit, I preferred the picture more on the 950g over OLED, which was A FIRST for any kind of content. I also love the wide angle viewing on this set! It's almost as good as OLED.

LG OLED55C7P | Sony 75X950G | LG UP970 | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121
post #3040 of 4444 Old 11-27-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJHooK View Post
Reposting for feedback.

On another note, regarding the picture quality of Into the Badlands, I watched it on OLED to compare, and I have to admit, I preferred the picture more on the 950g over OLED, which was A FIRST for any kind of content. I also love the wide angle viewing on this set! It's almost as good as OLED.

Are you on a 75” or higher? The concerns with contrast is getting in my head and persuading me to keep the Vizio model I have now.

post #3041 of 4444 Old 11-27-2019, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Reading all these posts from today, I have to say this ....I was looking at lots of tv’s when i was shopping, my brother has the Samsung q80r and my nieghbor has the q90r. I own the 75 inch 950g, and I can say with 100% certainty that I would not trade my set for any of those.

I find my set to be awesome, watching Dunkirk or the new lion king on my Panny 820 is stunning.

And this just with 30 days use. I’m assuming that with more break-in it’s going to look so much nicer.

I mostly view it in “standard” mode and expert 1.

When in comes to viewing angles it’s awesome as well, I sometimes watch the tv from my kitchen which is to the right of my living room, and obviously it’s not kike watching from the center of the room, but It’s a very respectable image.

This tv is probably the only thing that I’ve purchased in HT gear that I’ve had no second thoughts or guessing about my decision.

It’s probably a few bucs more than other TVs, but the Sony customer support is awesome as well.
PeeJHooK and Panson like this.

Think before you speak....

Last edited by Yankees24; 11-27-2019 at 07:20 PM.
post #3042 of 4444 Old 11-28-2019, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm trying to decide between the 65" 950G and the 65" A8G. Besides being $600 cheaper, are Netflix Calibrated Mode, Dolby Vision Day and Night Mode on the 950G worth it over the OLED screen of the A8G? I've read a few comments that the Netflix Calibrated Mode is too muted for some user's likes.
post #3043 of 4444 Old 11-28-2019, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got delivered my x950g this morning in 55". Already plugged in and playing rdr2 on xone x and i got to say so far i'm very happy with the tv. I wasn't wrong, x950g is really a huge improvement over garbage x900f. Blooming on x950g is very controllable and way less pronounced than on x900f. Maybe it also looks less distracting on smaller 55" screen than on bigger ones, but i turned off all lights in the room, put local dimming on medium and i hardly noticed any blooming so far. Whoever says x900f and x950g look the same must be blind lol. It's like night and day. And just the way i saw in the retail store, despite being the similar VA panel, the angle viewing is alot better on x950g, than on x900f. And bearing in mind, 55" version doesn't have wide angle view filter and yet still looks better. It has quite punchy live colors, compared to dull and washed out x900f. Not to mention dark hdr scenes aren't dark mess without details like in x900f or samsung qleds, every detail can be seen. And the best test for this is certainly rdr2 with it's dark hdr cutscenes. It's like a hdr detail torture test for tvs. As for motion, i have to say this is the first tv after my 6 years old 1080p LG, that i'm happy with. I was being kind of afraid after reading some motion complaints and a post from videomirage, but i was pleasantly surprised. The motion is smooth as butter and most importantly, no nasty artifacts with motion interpolation on, like on q80r for example. Even though Sony degraded settings for motion on x950g a bit (only 1-3 slider, instead of 1-5) it really doesn't matter because the smoothness slider at only 1, makes motion alot smoother than at 5 on last years x900f.
I'm only watching this tv for 2 or 3 hours, but i've tested it quite in depth already, with various settings at various content. So if i wouldn't be totally happy with it, i would already packed it and return it. But so far i'm very happy with it, finally a decent tv after so many returns. Unfortunately i'm too afraid to go with oled (lots of gaming, sports and cnn channels) otherwise i'd buy A9G in 55" for sure. But i dare to say x950g is one of the best LCDs made and certainlt the best 4k LCD this year. Yes, even better than Q90R with it's dirty screen effect and motion stutter. Speaking of DSE, the screen uniformity is also very good on x950g. After what i've seen on Q70R, this is just perfect! I've just run a hockey dse test video from youtube, which is the best quick test video for screen uniformity and also motion handling. And my x950g certainly passed it with 5/5. This video is also great to test motion interpolation on. On x950g, the moving hockey player stayed clear even at smoothness slider at only 1. At 3, it was smooth as butter and without any artifacts. The last time i tried that on Samsung Q80R and Q70R, the hockey player was stuttering like crazy and if i moved dejudder slider to 3 or more, the player was starting to flicker and got a ghost aura around him.
So this test should be the first test choice for every potential buyer.
As for those who complain about blooming, i think that the big size of the screen makes a blooming alot worse. In 55" version it is barely noticeable. I rather have smaller screen and better picture with less noticeable cons, than big ass screen with every little distraction pronounced. You can always move your tv closer to your seat if the distance is too long for screen size/watching. Better go with smaller screen than be stuck with big nasty pixels, more blooming and noticing eveey little distraction.
So far so good. It's a great tv!
Dellamorte13 likes this.
post #3044 of 4444 Old 11-28-2019, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Our new 85” arrives Saturday! Does this set have a built in camera or microphone? Want to disable as much remote monitoring as possible. Thanks!
post #3045 of 4444 Old 11-28-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes800 View Post
I got delivered my x950g this morning in 55". Already plugged in and playing rdr2 on xone x and i got to say so far i'm very happy with the tv. I wasn't wrong, x950g is really a huge improvement over garbage x900f. Blooming on x950g is very controllable and way less pronounced than on x900f. Maybe it also looks less distracting on smaller 55" screen than on bigger ones, but i turned off all lights in the room, put local dimming on medium and i hardly noticed any blooming so far. Whoever says x900f and x950g look the same must be blind lol. It's like night and day. And just the way i saw in the retail store, despite being the similar VA panel, the angle viewing is alot better on x950g, than on x900f. And bearing in mind, 55" version doesn't have wide angle view filter and yet still looks better. It has quite punchy live colors, compared to dull and washed out x900f. Not to mention dark hdr scenes aren't dark mess without details like in x900f or samsung qleds, every detail can be seen. And the best test for this is certainly rdr2 with it's dark hdr cutscenes. It's like a hdr detail torture test for tvs. As for motion, i have to say this is the first tv after my 6 years old 1080p LG, that i'm happy with. I was being kind of afraid after reading some motion complaints and a post from videomirage, but i was pleasantly surprised. The motion is smooth as butter and most importantly, no nasty artifacts with motion interpolation on, like on q80r for example. Even though Sony degraded settings for motion on x950g a bit (only 1-3 slider, instead of 1-5) it really doesn't matter because the smoothness slider at only 1, makes motion alot smoother than at 5 on last years x900f.
I'm only watching this tv for 2 or 3 hours, but i've tested it quite in depth already, with various settings at various content. So if i wouldn't be totally happy with it, i would already packed it and return it. But so far i'm very happy with it, finally a decent tv after so many returns. Unfortunately i'm too afraid to go with oled (lots of gaming, sports and cnn channels) otherwise i'd buy A9G in 55" for sure. But i dare to say x950g is one of the best LCDs made and certainlt the best 4k LCD this year. Yes, even better than Q90R with it's dirty screen effect and motion stutter. Speaking of DSE, the screen uniformity is also very good on x950g. After what i've seen on Q70R, this is just perfect! I've just run a hockey dse test video from youtube, which is the best quick test video for screen uniformity and also motion handling. And my x950g certainly passed it with 5/5. This video is also great to test motion interpolation on. On x950g, the moving hockey player stayed clear even at smoothness slider at only 1. At 3, it was smooth as butter and without any artifacts. The last time i tried that on Samsung Q80R and Q70R, the hockey player was stuttering like crazy and if i moved dejudder slider to 3 or more, the player was starting to flicker and got a ghost aura around him.
So this test should be the first test choice for every potential buyer.
As for those who complain about blooming, i think that the big size of the screen makes a blooming alot worse. In 55" version it is barely noticeable. I rather have smaller screen and better picture with less noticeable cons, than big ass screen with every little distraction pronounced. You can always move your tv closer to your seat if the distance is too long for screen size/watching. Better go with smaller screen than be stuck with big nasty pixels, more blooming and noticing eveey little distraction.
So far so good. It's a great tv!

Good for you that you found your TV. I'm pretty sure blooming and viewing angle looked worse on XF because of the size. I'm getting my 55" XG today aswell and I still have 55" XF at home so I will do a side by side comparison. I really hope XG is as much better as you are saying because I will keep one of this TV's.
post #3046 of 4444 Old 11-28-2019, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 25
So I have a weird question. I have the 55" 950g and I have a Vizio 2.0 soundbar connected via bluetooth.

The soundbar works fine on my previous 1080p TV and I had it connected via optical. For some reason, the optical cable was loose in the 950g and wouldn't produce any sound so that's why i connected the soundbar with bluetooth. The soundbar does not support HDMI - only optical, bluetooth, and composite.

My question is: When playing a blu ray, the sound is not matching the image by like a half a second and it's bugging me. I would like to connect the optical for a hardwired approach, but bluetooth is fine with me as long as it's not out of sync.

Can anyone provide a solution? I appreciate your feedback
post #3047 of 4444 Old 11-28-2019, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post
^^^^^^
This...The X950G has a baked in layer in the panel to improve off axis viewing at the expense of contrast and color in reading both forums. Prepare to be disappointed..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Yes it is, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the slightness of contrast loss.
I've had the 75" for 2 weeks and the loss of contrast is negligible unless you put the tv directly next to a tv with better contrast. I was close to getting the X900F which appeared to have slightly better contrast when viewing it side-by-side but the advantage of the X-Wide Angle outweighed the contrast difference for me. This tv has fantastic off-angle viewing. If I was going off the reviews I would've thought the contrast was going to be terrible on this tv but it has a beautiful picture with a lot of depth. I've been very happy with the tv and I did a simple calibration using the Disney WOW blu-ray. I returned an A8G for this and don't regret the decision.
Panson likes this.
post #3048 of 4444 Old 11-28-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7023 Post(s)
Liked: 7045
Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck View Post

That is a perfect test, when viewing straight on remember how far away from the TV you will be at home your home. No need to be 2 FT away when you will be 8-15FT back for normal viewing......
post #3049 of 4444 Old 11-28-2019, 09:49 AM

Ok guys, I got my 55XG9505 but already a problem, can't sign in to google, so I can't use google store or youtube, internet is working, it was the same with XF9005 but once I updated XF via USB to oreo I could sign in to google but there is no update for XG9505 on Sony site, the TV is already on oreo and when I go to update on the TV it says TV is already updated, so what should I do. If I try to open google or google store the loading icone is just spinning all the time and nothing happends.

Btw the remote of XG is so much better, also immediately noticed the faster android nicer new menu but the picture of angle is really green, while on XF is just warmer with a yellow tone which I prefer.
post #3050 of 4444 Old 11-28-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by writtensarcasm View Post
I've had the 75" for 2 weeks and the loss of contrast is negligible unless you put the tv directly next to a tv with better contrast. I was close to getting the X900F which appeared to have slightly better contrast when viewing it side-by-side but the advantage of the X-Wide Angle outweighed the contrast difference for me. This tv has fantastic off-angle viewing. If I was going off the reviews I would've thought the contrast was going to be terrible on this tv but it has a beautiful picture with a lot of depth. I've been very happy with the tv and I did a simple calibration using the Disney WOW blu-ray. I returned an A8G for this and don't regret the decision.
Good stuff, congrats. I think reviews sometimes mean well by erring on the side of caution. That's why it's so important to actually see these things for yourself, and do what your eyes tell you.

In fairness to rtings and others reviews, they often note that some scores or ratings are done with exacting measurement, and may not be noticed in real world viewing.

Cheers.

post #3051 of 4444 Old 11-28-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by writtensarcasm View Post
The 65" sizes of the X900F and X950G were placed top and bottom at Best Buy and I struggled to see a difference with their feed straight on or to the side, contrast to me was the same. X-wide angle was not as important to me because we sit in the same spot almost dead center of the TV in a row of four theater chairs in a dedicated theater room. Different situations I suppose but I can live with the X900F, i'm still shocked at the 85"image. I have pondered the idea of going projection with a 120" screen but that would take some doing as well as another two grand, it never ends.
post #3052 of 4444 Old 11-28-2019, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyform View Post
Ok guys, I got my 55XG9505 but already a problem, can't sign in to google, so I can't use google store or youtube, internet is working, it was the same with XF9005 but once I updated XF via USB to oreo I could sign in to google but there is no update for XG9505 on Sony site, the TV is already on oreo and when I go to update on the TV it says TV is already updated, so what should I do. If I try to open google or google store the loading icone is just spinning all the time and nothing happends.

Btw the remote of XG is so much better, also immediately noticed the faster android nicer new menu but the picture of angle is really green, while on XF is just warmer with a yellow tone which I prefer.
Hi, I'm new here, so I can't post links, search for this reference on google, you should go Sony's support page, basically you need to reset data for Google Play Services:

"Issue with Google Log in for TV Control Setup with Amazon Alexa"

This is is a possible resolution:

1. On your remote control, press the HOME button.
2. Scroll down and select Settings, and then Apps.
3. Select Google Play Services.
4. Select Uninstall updates, and then confirm the selection.
5. Select OK to replace the app with the factory data.
6. Push the HOME button to exit, and then enter your Google account login password.
7. Retry TV Control Setup with Amazon Alexa app.
post #3053 of 4444 Old 11-28-2019, 12:06 PM

TV is awesome, improved in everything I hoped for. Android and menus are so much faster and smoother, a real joy to use, quick settings are so usefull, remote awesome, much better experience with it, more responsive and so much nicer, better layout of buttons.

Picture is improved aswell, out of the box the picture is a bit too green for me, it's funny XF is greener then XE and XG is even greener then XF but it behaves differently, I set greens -4 and it looks amazing now, if I do this on XE or XF they look to red or pink in some scenes but XG does not, it looks stunning, is has a better colour consistency. Skin tones are nicer then on both XE and XF, less green.

Blacks look even deeper with a bit better shadow detail then on XF, shadow detail is similar as on XE but picture looks deeper then on both TV's. I also did a test of black uniformity, disabled local dimming, blacks are deeper and more uniform without local diming on XG, I had two ugly spots on XF that annoyed me but on XG there are only very mild spots and you never see them when watching movies even without local dimming while on XF I could see this two spots during day especially in netflix and android but on XG I can't see any bleeding in this two.

Motion seems better even though the settings are more limited, if you put the smoothness at max it's butter smoot no hick ups like on XE and XF, maybe that's because of faster processing, it also has less artefacts.

Viewing angle seems to be a bit better aswell even though the picture turns more green as on XF which I'm not a fan of but I dont watch fron angle so it doesn't really matter.

Ultimate processor doesn't seem to be a big improvement over extreme as some people say, there is barely any difference in any content both are supperb.

Dolby visions and HDR, yes, this is what I hoped for, better DV and HDR, my god, I'm so much more happy with this two, it has so much more shadow detail, nicer colours and three presets for DV, DV dark, bright and Vivid, so cool and guess what the subtitles are so much more dimmer then on XF wich were killing my eyes. All white stuff on netflix like play, pause icons everything is so bright on XF while on XG it's not, it's even dimmer then on XE and because of this there is no blooming when this icons appear, so awesome, even if you set the picture on XG like 50% brighter then on XF the subtitles are still dimmer on XG, love it, they don't distract you. On XF something is wrong, menus in netlifx, subtitles everything is so much brighter then movies while on XG they are the same brightness, the brightness on XG is just much more constant while on XF somethings are so much brighter then other, XE is also better in this regard but Xg even better.

XG is a better TV in nearly everything, I'm so glad I went for it, it was absolutely worth the extra 130€ , I would play even 300€ more for it, XF is going straight back there is no contest.
jimsmith94, sunfy888 and dreic like this.
post #3054 of 4444 Old 11-28-2019, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellamorte13 View Post
So I have a weird question. I have the 55" 950g and I have a Vizio 2.0 soundbar connected via bluetooth.

The soundbar works fine on my previous 1080p TV and I had it connected via optical. For some reason, the optical cable was loose in the 950g and wouldn't produce any sound so that's why i connected the soundbar with bluetooth. The soundbar does not support HDMI - only optical, bluetooth, and composite.

My question is: When playing a blu ray, the sound is not matching the image by like a half a second and it's bugging me. I would like to connect the optical for a hardwired approach, but bluetooth is fine with me as long as it's not out of sync.

Can anyone provide a solution? I appreciate your feedback
Search through the audio settings and play with a/v sync settings. Fixed it for me on Bluetooth earpieces.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Dellamorte13 likes this.
post #3055 of 4444 Old 11-28-2019, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Got the Disney+ now.

Anyone get Dolby Atmos working? Only coming through as DD.

Maybe an update?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #3056 of 4444 Old 11-28-2019, 09:11 PM

Do folks use external steaming device (roku) for for best audio formats?

post #3057 of 4444 Old 11-28-2019, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
New X950G Owner - Displaying HDR mode? DTS solution?

Hello all, I'm a brand new X950G owner and I am very happy with the set so far, especially coming from a string of bad Vizio's. I do have a couple of questions though, hope the experts can help.

1) Is there any way to see what mode the TV is in, ie. The resolution Frame Rate, and Especially what HDR mode its in if any? I would love to see my screen is running 2160 at 60hz or 24hz, or if HDR is running is it HDR10 or Dolby Vision?
2) Any suggestions for how to handle DTS audio since its' not supported over ARC? My receiver is a 1080p receiver, so I use the 4k inputs on the TV and ARC out to the receiver. Is there any kind of device I can use to emulate eARC coming out of the ARC port split out the DTS over optical? I have many videos where the audio source is DTS, and of course it only plays stereo.
2b) I was thinking if there is no way to accomplish DTS via a device connected to the ARC port, maybe I could get an HDMI splitter or audio extractor on my roku player split out the audio to the amp. But of course this won't fix DTS coming out of any Native running Apps within the Sony Android.

Anyone figure a way to do this out yet? I have a pioneer elite receiver that has phenomenal sound, I really don't want to have to buy a 4k receiver to accomplish this, while my elite is still running well.

PS. For anyone using this for gaming, the Sony X950G successfully detects as a 5.1 audio device on PC HDMI. So you can pass through dolby digital 5.1 from your PC through ARC to your receiver.
post #3058 of 4444 Old 11-28-2019, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiller4128 View Post
I’ve currently got a 65” Vizio PQX on order to be delivered to me on Monday...I got a hell of a deal (below $1k). I’m worried about these Jailbars though...I’ve heard turning on “Edge Enhancement” supposedly eliminates them. Did you try that when you had your set?

And ultimately, in your opinion, would the Sony X950G be worth an additional 50% ($500) over the Vizio PQX? How are the black levels on this set? Do they bother you at all?

Sorry for all the questions...I’m really trying to decide which I want right now.

I just posted a similar comparison in the Vizio PX forum. I jumped ship from Vizio to Sony after too many returns and poor quality panels. Edge enhancement can not fix panels that are bad! My last set was so bad with its jailbars could be seen on any solid colors and ANY scenes with motion, clearly defective. On a previous set that had totally broken HDR, the edge enhancement did make a difference, reduced them quite a bit. My first set had yellow discolored clouding, and a bright spot that stuck with the screen. I honestly really like the picture on vizio, but now that I've moved to sony i am much happier, i Just need to find a solution for lack of DTS over ARC, thats killing me. I am not willing to switch out my perfectly good non-4k receiver.
post #3059 of 4444 Old 11-28-2019, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydg68 View Post
I just posted a similar comparison in the Vizio PX forum. I jumped ship from Vizio to Sony after too many returns and poor quality panels. Edge enhancement can not fix panels that are bad! My last set was so bad with its jailbars could be seen on any solid colors and ANY scenes with motion, clearly defective. On a previous set that had totally broken HDR, the edge enhancement did make a difference, reduced them quite a bit. My first set had yellow discolored clouding, and a bright spot that stuck with the screen. I honestly really like the picture on vizio, but now that I've moved to sony i am much happier, i Just need to find a solution for lack of DTS over ARC, thats killing me. I am not willing to switch out my perfectly good non-4k receiver.

Yeah I just read your post in regards to that. I opened and set up my Vizio PQX and think it looks fantastic!

Although, I must say that I keep coming back to the Sony for some reason. I’m really attracted to the X950G. How are the black levels for you coming from the Vizio? Are the complaints of blooming overblown?

More importantly, I keep hearing about Dolby Vision HDR problems with external devices. That and the fact that Sony hasn’t addressed it or provided a firmware update for it in awhile has me quite concerned. What are your thoughts on this?

post #3060 of 4444 Old 11-29-2019, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Anyone have lip sync issues when playing compressed audio (Dolby Digital) on a sound bar via HDMI ARC?

I have a Yamaha YAS-108 and if I select PCM as the audio output there is no lip sync issues but if I choose either of the compressed audio modes the sound is out of sync with the picture (sound is delayed, not the video).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page