2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 103 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1632Likes

post #3061 of 4426 Old 11-29-2019, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyform View Post
Ok guys, I got my 55XG9505 but already a problem, can't sign in to google, so I can't use google store or youtube, internet is working, it was the same with XF9005 but once I updated XF via USB to oreo I could sign in to google but there is no update for XG9505 on Sony site, the TV is already on oreo and when I go to update on the TV it says TV is already updated, so what should I do. If I try to open google or google store the loading icone is just spinning all the time and nothing happends.

Btw the remote of XG is so much better, also immediately noticed the faster android nicer new menu but the picture of angle is really green, while on XF is just warmer with a yellow tone which I prefer.
Were you able to fix the Google sign-in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 4426 Old 11-29-2019, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel C View Post
Hi, I'm new here, so I can't post links, search for this reference on google, you should go Sony's support page, basically you need to reset data for Google Play Services:

"Issue with Google Log in for TV Control Setup with Amazon Alexa"

This is is a possible resolution:

1. On your remote control, press the HOME button.
2. Scroll down and select Settings, and then Apps.
3. Select Google Play Services.
4. Select Uninstall updates, and then confirm the selection.
5. Select OK to replace the app with the factory data.
6. Push the HOME button to exit, and then enter your Google account login password.
7. Retry TV Control Setup with Amazon Alexa app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel C View Post
Were you able to fix the Google sign-in?

Yes, thank you, I dissabled the google pay service, turned the TV off and on again and enabled google service and it worked, thanks for your help.
post #3063 of 4426 Old 11-29-2019, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can anyone let me know if their set displays a fuzzy image for around 5-10 seconds after choosing a program from a new app?

My X950G has this behavior. After 10 seconds or so the image is crystal clear. I had a 55 inch 950 (returned it for the 65 inch) and I don't remember that set doing this. I'm thinking that there might be something off with the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3064 of 4426 Old 11-29-2019, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiller4128 View Post
Yeah I just read your post in regards to that. I opened and set up my Vizio PQX and think it looks fantastic!

Although, I must say that I keep coming back to the Sony for some reason. I’m really attracted to the X950G. How are the black levels for you coming from the Vizio? Are the complaints of blooming overblown?

More importantly, I keep hearing about Dolby Vision HDR problems with external devices. That and the fact that Sony hasn’t addressed it or provided a firmware update for it in awhile has me quite concerned. What are your thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With the Active array backlight off. I can see minor light bleed coming through the black as to be expected. Honestly the blooming is way better on this Sony than on the Vizio PX-75. I would get horrible blooming on medium settings, and at low on the vizio i would need to boost the whole backlight up or everything was dim. (Since the next firmware) Something doesn't seem right with the vizio HDR through external input. I have yet to dry dolby vision through an external, I will try to do that and report back. With the black friday sales, the gap between going vizio and sony has narrowed. IF you happen to get a good panel in vizio u will be very happy, I'm a gamer, so uniformity problems are very evident on screen vizio just couldn't pass the test for me. I'm already super happy with the 950G so far, except for the few questions i have in my post above.
post #3065 of 4426 Old 11-29-2019, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian89 View Post
Maybe your local dimming is deactivated. If not, the TV only uses local dimming when he recognizes a video signal. The Netflix loading screen or content selection screen is not a video signal
This makes me feel better, as I’ve noticed the same thing on menu/non-video screens lately and though there was something wrong with my set. Appreciate the response.
post #3066 of 4426 Old 11-29-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7017 Post(s)
Liked: 7034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees24 View Post
Reading all these posts from today, I have to say this ....I was looking at lots of tv’s when i was shopping, my brother has the Samsung q80r and my neighbor has the q90r. I own the 75 inch 950g, and I can say with 100% certainty that I would not trade my set for any of those.
Thats why we have so many choices, it is in a one model fits all Glad you found your perfect set.......
post #3067 of 4426 Old 11-29-2019, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Videomirage View Post
I don't have any experience with the x900f so i can't really help there from what i read in google the x900f has a 120 hz panel like the x950g and seeing the smoothness settings are lower by 2 levels.... well you get the picture. Unless sony kept the smoothness and just made the settings go from 0 to 3 as opposed to from 0 to 5 , which i seriously doubt it then you'll get less smooth motion (unless it's broken like on my tv), but like i said before to me it looks like it's interpolating to 60 fps which is still pretty smooth compared to 24 fps, i mean there is no stutter like 24 fps. So i suggest you install svp 4 pro (i think there is a free trial) and see the difference between 60 and 120 fps on your current tv (if it is 120 Hz that is,and set the refresh rate on your pc to 120 hz so you can output 120 fps to you tv) and see if you could live with that, just keep in mind that the x950g has a bit better smoothness (and maybe less artifacts) than svp4 as far as i can see, i compared it on some cgi game trailers i downloaded from youtube which turns out is the only content that seems not to stutter on my tv with video interpolation activated (Cgi movies still sututter by the way)

Clearness is Black frame insertion so it's for making the motion clearer not smoother i think it does make a difference though but not as great as motion flow(video interpolation), i personally don't use it because it darkens the image a bit.

And yes from what i remember when i was looking for a new tv a few months ago the x950g was the best according to the reviews i read in this price range unless something new has come out.

Watch this review by Hdtvtest : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUEleyyLow4

Maybe it will put your mind at ease about buying this tv.
It is funny that I have complained about this same issue since my day 1 purchase. No one seems to care though. This can be fixed easily if Sony gives us back Cinemotion controls. Since Cinemotion only has two options on the G, AUTO and OFF, we are at the will of the TV. As of right now, the TV decides when to use Cinemotion. Both the 900e and 900f had the ability to have it 'always on' at LOW, MED, or HIGH.
post #3068 of 4426 Old 11-29-2019, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Also, does the X950G allow you to control the USB Slot? In which I mean if I plug in some bias lighting, I can set the tv to turn the usb power on when the tv is turned on and turn off the usb power when the tv is turned off right? Where would that be at?

post #3069 of 4426 Old 11-29-2019, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_wayne View Post
Are you on a 75” or higher? The concerns with contrast is getting in my head and persuading me to keep the Vizio model I have now.

Yes, I have the 75". I think the contrast is really good for the most part. This is replacing a '17 Vizio M series that was no slouch in contrast. Plus, I also have an OLED. So, I don't think you need to worry about contrast with this set.

LG OLED55C7P | Sony 75X950G | LG UP970 | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121
post #3070 of 4426 Old 11-29-2019, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsmith94 View Post
I'm trying to decide between the 65" 950G and the 65" A8G. Besides being $600 cheaper, are Netflix Calibrated Mode, Dolby Vision Day and Night Mode on the 950G worth it over the OLED screen of the A8G? I've read a few comments that the Netflix Calibrated Mode is too muted for some user's likes.
Being owners of this set as well as an LG c7 OLED, I would take OLED all the way, unless the potential for burn in is high based on your viewing habits.
jimsmith94 likes this.

post #3071 of 4426 Old 11-29-2019, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiller4128 View Post
Also, does the X950G allow you to control the USB Slot? In which I mean if I plug in some bias lighting, I can set the tv to turn the usb power on when the tv is turned on and turn off the usb power when the tv is turned off right? Where would that be at?

I have a bias light as well and unfortunately it does not turn on/off through USB, which is my biggest disappointment with this tv thus far.

post #3072 of 4426 Old 11-29-2019, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I wonder if anyone has paired this tv (950G) with a Sonos Beam soundbar? I’d appreciate your feedback. Theres a really good black friday deal on this soundbar 🙂
post #3073 of 4426 Old 11-30-2019, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can any of you x950g owners comment on low fps content stutter and cinemotion setting? What cinemotion setting do you usually use? Auto or off? Because i've noticed there's no in between options anymore, like low, med and high. Do you experience any stutter with 24/30fps content? After a longer gaming session and cable program watching, i was starting to notice a little ocasional stutter which is starting to worry me, because that was the main reason i've returned x900f, q70r and q80r in the first place. It has been always said that Sony is the king of the tv motion processing, but now i'm not so sure anymore about that. After seeing a few 2019 LG nanocell LCDs and it's 'clear' trumotion setting, i'd say it looks way smoother than on Sony tvs. Just a shame their blacks and PWM flicker sucks so bad.
post #3074 of 4426 Old 11-30-2019, 06:34 AM

Liked: 12
Still crashing on every built in app. When I'm watching a streaming app and pause (or not) to change picture settings the TV crashes and I have to restart that app. The second attempt is most usually successful. Is this common?
post #3075 of 4426 Old 11-30-2019, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expy View Post
Still crashing on every built in app. When I'm watching a streaming app and pause (or not) to change picture settings the TV crashes and I have to restart that app. The second attempt is most usually successful. Is this common?
No. I would ensure you are up to date on FW and then restore default config and see if that fixes it.
post #3076 of 4426 Old 11-30-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
No. I would ensure you are up to date on FW and then restore default config and see if that fixes it.
Thank you sjm817! Ill be exchanging for a new one then. There are also some sound issues with certain apps that I thought Sony chat had fixed but they popped up again.I have updated everything from apps to FW and factory reset several times. This TV has some great qualities and I'll stick with this model.
post #3077 of 4426 Old 11-30-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvergun View Post
Can anyone let me know if their set displays a fuzzy image for around 5-10 seconds after choosing a program from a new app?

My X950G has this behavior. After 10 seconds or so the image is crystal clear. I had a 55 inch 950 (returned it for the 65 inch) and I don't remember that set doing this. I'm thinking that there might be something off with the TV.
If you are using streaming apps, this can definitely happen. The app will collect "enough" data to start playing and will get crisper as it buffers more data for the high res image. It's typically a combination of things like 4k content and possibly a less-than-ideal connection to the Internet / service at the time streaming starts.
post #3078 of 4426 Old 11-30-2019, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Some notes after buying the 55" X950 four days ago:

1. Wasn't in the market at all for a new TV. Bought a Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma about five years ago, and was very happy with it. That is, until an unnamed relative in the extended family managed to throw a Wii controller into it.
  2. Obviously, all stores have had it on Black Friday pricing for awhile. Bought it in-person at Abt...they reduced the price (a bit) on the spot.
  3. At first, I couldn't understand why the Wirecutter and a number of folks here were talking about how great this set is. Picture was both washed-out and muddy, with lots of stuttering (was primarily viewing networks via AT&T U-verse). Eventually figured out that the culprit was my Pioneer VSX-1173-K AVR. The Pioneer has an auto video conversion feature. I changed the setting on a per-source basis...for the record, I didn't turn off video conversion; I left it on and changed Resolution to "Pure" (press Receiver > Video Parameters > down arrow to Res > right arrow to change from "Auto" to "Pure"). Much better after that!!
  4. I went through this entire thread looking for help on the above (obvs solved on my own). During that process, found some calibration settings that work pretty well. I will post more on that separately.
  5. Most sources look great to really good. I find it odd that, during football games today, some camera angles (mostly long shots) have a bit of wash-out. Also, it's weird that we can watch one series on a network via U-verse where the picture is outstanding and the next show on a different series looks off (faces are pink to red; lips look merlot-stained).
Overall, pretty happy with the X950 but still need to dial in the settings further.
post #3079 of 4426 Old 11-30-2019, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficGuy View Post
Some notes after buying the 55" X950 four days ago:

1. Wasn't in the market at all for a new TV. Bought a Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma about five years ago, and was very happy with it. That is, until an unnamed relative in the extended family managed to throw a Wii controller into it.
  2. Obviously, all stores have had it on Black Friday pricing for awhile. Bought it in-person at Abt...they reduced the price (a bit) on the spot.
  3. At first, I couldn't understand why the Wirecutter and a number of folks here were talking about how great this set is. Picture was both washed-out and muddy, with lots of stuttering (was primarily viewing networks via AT&T U-verse). Eventually figured out that the culprit was my Pioneer VSX-1173-K AVR. The Pioneer has an auto video conversion feature. I changed the setting on a per-source basis...for the record, I didn't turn off video conversion; I left it on and changed Resolution to "Pure" (press Receiver > Video Parameters > down arrow to Res > right arrow to change from "Auto" to "Pure"). Much better after that!!
  4. I went through this entire thread looking for help on the above (obvs solved on my own). During that process, found some calibration settings that work pretty well. I will post more on that separately.
  5. Most sources look great to really good. I find it odd that, during football games today, some camera angles (mostly long shots) have a bit of wash-out. Also, it's weird that we can watch one series on a network via U-verse where the picture is outstanding and the next show on a different series looks off (faces are pink to red; lips look merlot-stained).
Overall, pretty happy with the X950 but still need to dial in the settings further.

I also replaced a Panasonic plasma with a 65” x950. I tried a couple different oled tv’s but did not like the color. I watch mostly golf and football. So green has to be perfect, and a ball in motion has to be really great. I told the sales guy my priorities and that price was not a big deal. He recommended the 950 due to Sony’s excellent color calibration. It was about 1000 less than I was willing to spend. I love this TV. No TV is flawless, but this one does what I care about most really really well. Only flaw is that wide angle viewing is not great like a plasma or OLED. If I had room, I’d go for the 75” with ultra wide view feature. Other than that I consider this the best tv for the money I could find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3080 of 4426 Old 11-30-2019, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes800 View Post
Can any of you x950g owners comment on low fps content stutter and cinemotion setting? What cinemotion setting do you usually use? Auto or off? Because i've noticed there's no in between options anymore, like low, med and high. Do you experience any stutter with 24/30fps content? After a longer gaming session and cable program watching, i was starting to notice a little ocasional stutter which is starting to worry me, because that was the main reason i've returned x900f, q70r and q80r in the first place. It has been always said that Sony is the king of the tv motion processing, but now i'm not so sure anymore about that. After seeing a few 2019 LG nanocell LCDs and it's 'clear' trumotion setting, i'd say it looks way smoother than on Sony tvs. Just a shame their blacks and PWM flicker sucks so bad.
Well damn, you really got my hopes up with your previous comment that motion was smooth, but if you're seeing stuttering now, so much for that. Just out of curiosity what firmware are you on?

Abandon all hope ye who look for smooth motion in 2019 Lol.
post #3081 of 4426 Old 11-30-2019, 02:19 PM

rgdawson, so how do you find motion on x950g at sports? Any stutter? May i ask what motion settings you usually have for sports? I'd say this is one of the very few LCDs that is appropriate for sports watching, the screen uniformity is very good.

Videomirage, i have to say i was pleasantly surprised about x950g's motion. Especially after seeing how crappy motion was on x900f. It is way way better on x950g than on most of the newest tvs one the market. Only second to some older 1080p LGs and latest Panasonic OLEDs like GZ950, 1600 and 2000, which have the best motion ever.
But like i already wrote before, i have noticed some occasional stutter but it isn't really that bad tbh. But it can be noticed. I've updated to the latest patch and i've set the motion to smoothness 3, clearness 1, cinemotion to off. I find those settings to be the best to combat judder and avoiding artifacts at the same time.
But after what i've seen on Sony x900f, Samsung Q70R and Q80R, i have to say x950g handles motion above average for a 4k tv. I guess we just can't have new 4k tv with latest stuff and perfect motion at the same time. The older 1080p tvs were better at motion. But x950g surely passed my test, otherwise i'd already return it the second day, just like i did with x900f. Overall i'm very happy with the tv and bear in mind i'm very picky about it. It'd give it 9/10.
Btw, if your tv is giving you motion problems you have 2 options left. 1. You do a factory reset so you erase the updates (if you think those are the cause of problems, altough i think they shouldn't be) or 2. You try and exchange it for another unit. But seriously, i can guarantee you this tv still has better motion than any other tv issued after 2016, only second to latest Panasonic OLEDs. And i've test, seen and read enough to confirm this.
post #3082 of 4426 Old 11-30-2019, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
rgdawson, so how do you find motion on x950g at sports? Any stutter? May i ask what motion settings you usually have for sports? I'd say this is one of the very few LCDs that is appropriate for sports watching, the screen uniformity is very good.

Videomirage, i have to say i was pleasantly surprised about x950g's motion. Especially after seeing how crappy motion was on x900f. It is way way better on x950g than on most of the newest tvs one the market. Only second to some older 1080p LGs and latest Panasonic OLEDs like GZ950, 1600 and 2000, which have the best motion ever.
But like i already wrote before, i have noticed some occasional stutter but it isn't really that bad tbh. But it can be noticed. I've updated to the latest patch and i've set the motion to smoothness 3, clearness 1, cinemotion to off. I find those settings to be the best to combat judder and avoiding artifacts at the same time.
But after what i've seen on Sony x900f, Samsung Q70R and Q80R, i have to say x950g handles motion above average for a 4k tv. I guess we just can't have new 4k tv with latest stuff and perfect motion at the same time. The older 1080p tvs were better at motion. But x950g surely passed my test, otherwise i'd already return it the second day, just like i did with x900f. Overall i'm very happy with the tv and bear in mind i'm very picky about it. It'd give it 9/10.
Btw, if your tv is giving you motion problems you have 2 options left. 1. You do a factory reset so you erase the updates (if you think those are the cause of problems, altough i think they shouldn't be) or 2. You try and exchange it for another unit. But seriously, i can guarantee you this tv still has better motion than any other tv issued after 2016, only second to latest Panasonic OLEDs. And i've test, seen and read enough to confirm this.
To completely avoid stutter the source device must output at the same Hz/FPS as the videos true FPS. This can easily be tested with a PC. If I watch a TV show or Movie in a video player, the shows/movies are usually 24 fps (23.976 in truth) but my desktop refresh rate is usually set to 60 hz then Sony's motion interpolation algorithm will stutter due to Windows (w Nvidia card) and all Video players I've tested so far produces incorrect frame pacing or uneven "3:2 pull down" and will fail miserably, only if I change my refresh rate to match the contents, in this case I set it to 23 hz (23.976 hz = 24 fps) will I get smooth stutter free interpolation. BUT, if I watch a 60fps stream/movie where I've embedded a 24 fps movie, then the TV will do proper 3:2 pull down due to forced frame pacing due to it being embedded in the 60fps stream and thus produce smooth interpolation. If the signal/stream you are watching is at a locked 25/50/30/60 hz and the embedded content with lower fps has proper frame pacing inside it, you should get smooth motion, other wise you'll get annoying intermittent stutter as the interpolation algorithm tries to re-engage/sync with the on screen motion. The only solution, if you can't get the source device to output properly or the channel/stream is having frame pacing issues, is unfrotunatelly to turn Motionflow to Min or completely OFF.

Edit: to clarify Frame Pacing. The extra "frozen frames" of a lower fps delivered in a high hz/fps video stream need to be constant, eg
frames must repeat with proper cadence and repeat frozen frames for 3 frames then 2 then 3 again: 1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,4,4,5,5,5,6,6,7,7 etc.
If instead is like this: 1,1,2,2,2,2,3,4,4,5,5,5,5,7 you'll get horrible stutter with Motionflow turned ON.

Sony ZF9 75" (Owned: Sony KDL-W55905A, Samsung Q9FN 65" & Q900 75")

Last edited by JoelArt; 11-30-2019 at 03:53 PM.
post #3083 of 4426 Old 11-30-2019, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Arrow

I just picked up our 65" 950G today. I ordered it a couple days ago from BBY and since it was thanksgiving and traveling didn't have a chance to pick it up until today.

Unboxed it and decided to set it up quickly.. It picked up my google/youtube/netflix profile almost with zero effort! That was nice.

Decided to upgrade our netflix to ultra so I could get the 4k streaming. I did that then loaded up Incredibles 2. One thing I do not understand is why am I still getting bars at the top and bottom of the screen rather than it streaming full screen? I can't seem to understand that?

Shut off netflix and then loaded up youtube app with a 4k sample from various things. I am literally speechless. I have never seen a picture like this before in my life. The detail, colors, clarity... it is honestly overwhelming trying to take in everything as it's going through. I really can't begin to describe it..lol Mind you I am coming from a 12 year old Visio LCD... This Sony is insane to me. I just can't believe what I am seeing. I want to go and touch the screen, that's how real it is...haha

But if anyone can help me on the netflix and why it's not full screen like the youtube stuff that would help. I checked settings and it appears that it's already in Netflix calibrated mode since things are grayed out according to the manual.

I REALLY wanted the 75" of this tv but could not justify spending $1100 more to get 10 inches... that just seems silly when I could spend a couple hundred on that $1100 and get ANOTHER 65" 950G...lol

I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooo very glad I got this instead of the Samsung Q80r!! These colors are just wonderful!

-Nigel
dshinman likes this.

~NSG~
post #3084 of 4426 Old 11-30-2019, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy View Post
I REALLY wanted the 75" of this tv but could not justify spending $1100 more to get 10 inches... that just seems silly when I could spend a couple hundred on that $1100 and get ANOTHER 65" 950G...lol
-Nigel
10" diagonal is a HUGE difference. You're getting a little over 33% more view-able area. Even going from my 70" to my 75" was a noticeable difference.

Personally, I wish Sony would make a mid-tier unit like the 950G in a 100" size. The 98" Z9G is just too expensive for mere mortals like me.
dshinman likes this.
post #3085 of 4426 Old 11-30-2019, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy View Post
I just picked up our 65" 950G today. I ordered it a couple days ago from BBY and since it was thanksgiving and traveling didn't have a chance to pick it up until today.

Unboxed it and decided to set it up quickly.. It picked up my google/youtube/netflix profile almost with zero effort! That was nice.

Decided to upgrade our netflix to ultra so I could get the 4k streaming. I did that then loaded up Incredibles 2. One thing I do not understand is why am I still getting bars at the top and bottom of the screen rather than it streaming full screen? I can't seem to understand that?

Shut off netflix and then loaded up youtube app with a 4k sample from various things. I am literally speechless. I have never seen a picture like this before in my life. The detail, colors, clarity... it is honestly overwhelming trying to take in everything as it's going through. I really can't begin to describe it..lol Mind you I am coming from a 12 year old Visio LCD... This Sony is insane to me. I just can't believe what I am seeing. I want to go and touch the screen, that's how real it is...haha

But if anyone can help me on the netflix and why it's not full screen like the youtube stuff that would help. I checked settings and it appears that it's already in Netflix calibrated mode since things are grayed out according to the manual.

I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooo very glad I got this instead of the Samsung Q80r!! These colors are just wonderful!

-Nigel
Most movies on Netflix has this: "It's a compromise between filmmakers desire for a wider aspect ratio than 16:9, and many viewers dislike of the movie aspect ratio of 2.39:1 on a TV." Thus the cut they edges of the movies a little bit, resulting in slim black bars.

When I upgraded TV recently I went from a 55" to 65" and thought it was good enough for my budget, then as I wasn't happy with that model and wanted another one, I thought what the heck, I'm going to live with this one for a while and wanted even more immersion, so I forked out for the extra inches to get the 75" and man was it worth it. I have the entire TV up so close it cover most of my field of vision, head is about 2m from the screen, the immersion is awesome and going to cinema these days brings out a little chuckle of how little their screen covers my view. The only draw back is that when it's time to buy a new TV, anything smaller than this will be unacceptable, I'd even consider buying a 85" next time so I can move the TV back a little bit. My point is, while 65" is very nice, don't under estimate the impact a larger TV has, if you have the room for it.

Sony ZF9 75" (Owned: Sony KDL-W55905A, Samsung Q9FN 65" & Q900 75")
post #3086 of 4426 Old 11-30-2019, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Appreciate the info! I thought it was a setting that I wasn't doing properly.

I like the GUI of the tv as well. It's nice. Seems very similar to my android phone in terms of getting around. I was able to cast my phone to the tv which I've never done before and that was neat seeing the pictures of our dogs on the screen..lol. I wish there was an option to turn down the menu beeps. I found the option to turn it completely off but nothing to actually turn them down so they aren't as loud. IE: moving the cursor over different options or choosing different items, the beep gets annoying.

We definitely have the room for a 75" in our basement. 65" is a huge upgrade from out 47". It's just super hard in my head trying to justify that extra $1100 or as I like to look at it 100 bucks more per inch. Which seems silly because I was willing to get the q80r which is almost the same price. Who knows I am in the extended return policy so absolute worst case here once I get it hung on the wall IF if looks too small, then I'll say screw it and pay the difference to get the 75"... As I've read the 75" actually has sony's viewing angle thing which makes it better to view off angle. We will be sitting directly in front so that would just be a bonus that isn't really used for us.

I almost bought the 900F... I am glad reading on here I went this route. I think I'm going to only get Sony from now on. I just watched Doug Demuro on the youtube app and the 4k is insane as well there.. The detail that I never once knew was possible is just so crazy to me.

So happy! :-)

-Nigel
JoelArt likes this.

~NSG~
post #3087 of 4426 Old 12-01-2019, 03:37 AM

JoelArt, thanks for the explanation. But in this case, all of the tv models and brands would handle interpolation the same. But we know that isn't the case. That said, i don't see any stutter whatsoever on my old 1080p LG, no matter the content's framerate.
post #3088 of 4426 Old 12-01-2019, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Has anyone had any experience playing a NES/SNES mini on the 950g?

I played both of mine last night and the lag in Super Mario World was really bad - something was just off about the response time. I played with the modes (like game mode) and motion settings but nothing seemed to help.

As always, your help is much appreciated.
post #3089 of 4426 Old 12-01-2019, 07:50 AM

How is this possible?

This is my 65x950g playing the Privilege 4k app. The top looks like its trying to display VR. This TV is being returned of course but Im exchanging for another 950, if I get a good set Ill be very happy.

post #3090 of 4426 Old 12-01-2019, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:

By ocassional stutter do you mean once in a while or like every couple of seconds? I think my problem is that i'm just on an old buggy firmware version and sony doesn't seem to intend to release an update for european models any time soon, i have never updated the tv because after i don't know how many months i am still waiting for them to release one.

If in fact any kind of stutter on the tv whatsoever is "normal" regardless of firmware version and as you say the video interpolation is better than any other tv then i guess it just means that SVP 4 and DmitriRender are better at video interpolating video because i havent seen any stutter with those two programs especially when running with a 120 Hz tv.

As for what JoelArt said, i thought when the refresh rate of the tv was divisible by the source frame rate then there shouldn't be any stutter because of that. And also i already tried setting the refresh rate to 23 Hz in Nvidia control panel and it kinda works but i don't know how to describe it it's like there is lag in the picture like the audio and video are desynced and some scenes still kinda slow down a little bit because of the interpolation i think so as far as i can see the refresh rate of the source is not the problem here, but the cinemotion on the "smart" tv because the tv seems to be too "stupid" to know when to enable video interpolation so it keeps enabling and disabling it all the time on my tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page