2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 104 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1642Likes

post #3091 of 4444 Old 12-01-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7020 Post(s)
Liked: 7039
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJHooK View Post
Being owners of this set as well as an LG C7 OLED, I would take OLED all the way, unless the potential for burn in is high based on your viewing habits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsmith94 View Post
I'm trying to decide between the 65" 950G and the 65" A8G. Besides being $600 cheaper, are Netflix Calibrated Mode, Dolby Vision Day and Night Mode on the 950G worth it over the OLED screen of the A8G? I've read a few comments that the Netflix Calibrated Mode is too muted for some user's likes.
As noted above, the OLED is a better set. LG does cover burn in now in a limited fashion..... <<< Click Here >>>
jimsmith94 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 4444 Old 12-01-2019, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
As noted above, the OLED is a better set. LG does cover burn in now in a limited fashion..... <<< Click Here >>>
Thanks! Don't the Pixel Shift and Panel Refresh options reduce or eliminate this on Sony OLEDs? My four year old smartwatch does the pixel shift automatically and it has no burn in.
post #3093 of 4444 Old 12-01-2019, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just setup and mounted the 75” version of this yesterday. I am fairly experienced with settings manipulation on many tvs, including my OLED 55” LG. I cannot for the life of me get over how much worse the menu is than LG, unless I am missing something.

I have my 1 HDMI in from my denon receiver as the switch. The different modes switching between SDR/HDR content really force me to manually change the brightness, and even drill into the settings to check if the picture is HDR or not? I hit the gearbox settings button then have to go into the picture settings to tell if the content is HDR, which to me is obvious when I have brightness MAX instead of around 7-10 but not to my wife.

Is there a way to have brightness at 7 when content is SDR and max if it is HDR, or do I really have to manually change it?

Next question, when I use ARC and output from the tv to the receiver, say netflix, there is a massive lag in sound and often the sound just cuts completely. I am Sure it is a handshaking issue between the two, and I intentionally bought an xbox one S this week on sale for the atmos output for netflix/prime and 4k bluray player. So I have a workaround but I am really surprised at how bad this is anyway.

It took me quite a while to tune the picture quality and overall I really like it but am not happy with the 2 points above.

Last edited by anelson3411; 12-01-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3094 of 4444 Old 12-01-2019, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
I have a bias light as well and unfortunately it does not turn on/off through USB, which is my biggest disappointment with this tv thus far.

Ok, what if I got a usb light strip that can turn itself off and on with Alexa? Any idea if that would work?

I’m hoping that if the USB power is always “ON”, then perhaps a switch in the lighting strip itself that can respond to on and off commands on its own might solve the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3095 of 4444 Old 12-01-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by anelson3411 View Post
I just setup and mounted the 75” version of this yesterday. I am fairly experienced with settings manipulation on many tvs, including my OLED 55” LG. I cannot for the life of me get over how much worse the menu is than LG, unless I am missing something.

I have my 1 HDMI in from my denon receiver as the switch. The different modes switching between SDR/HDR content really force me to manually change the brightness, and even drill into the settings to check if the picture is HDR or not? I hit the gearbox settings button then have to go into the picture settings to tell if the content is HDR, which to me is obvious when I have brightness MAX instead of around 7-10 but not to my wife.

Is there a way to have brightness at 7 when content is SDR and max if it is HDR, or do I really have to manually change it?

Next question, when I use ARC and output from the tv to the receiver, say netflix, there is a massive lag in sound and often the sound just cuts completely. I am Sure it is a handshaking issue between the two, and I intentionally bought an xbox one S this week on sale for the atmos output for netflix/prime and 4k bluray player. So I have a workaround but I am really surprised at how bad this is anyway.

It took me quite a while to tune the picture quality and overall I really like it but am not happy with the 2 points above.
Settings on this set (all Sony's, really) is a nightmare.

Here's what I suggest: spin up an internal app, choose "Custom" and then set all of your settings. Be sure you're doing this for SDR content. You can then use this for each various input by changing from "Standard" to "Custom". Once you have this how you want, you can spin up some HDR content and tinker with it some more to tune THOSE settings.
post #3096 of 4444 Old 12-01-2019, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone.

I finally upgraded my X930C to a 65” 950G but have one slightly minor issue. I absolutely LOVED the “True Cinema” Setting under MotionFlow.

I’ve noticed the 950G doesn’t have this. Is there any way to adjust the sliders to sort of recreate this? Really sucks they’d remove such an awesome setting.
post #3097 of 4444 Old 12-01-2019, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does any one with the XBR950g use it with Homebridge?

post #3098 of 4444 Old 12-01-2019, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by anelson3411 View Post

The brightness settings for HDR and SDR are seperate when using the same preset. Fo example, on my custom preset, when HDR is played, brightness autos to max. When SDR is played, it keeps the brightness setting that you set previously. The issue you will run into will be when you try to have different contrast and color setting for HDR and SDR. For this, you will need to use different presets. Its best to use the same contrast and color settings for both HDR and SDR content. However, this does not apply to DolbyVision.
anelson3411 likes this.
post #3099 of 4444 Old 12-01-2019, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiller4128 View Post
Ok, what if I got a usb light strip that can turn itself off and on with Alexa? Any idea if that would work?

I’m hoping that if the USB power is always “ON”, then perhaps a switch in the lighting strip itself that can respond to on and off commands on its own might solve the problem.

Yes, the USB is always on, so that should work.

LG OLED55C7P | Sony 75X950G | LG UP970 | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121
post #3100 of 4444 Old 12-01-2019, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes800 View Post
rgdawson, so how do you find motion on x950g at sports? Any stutter? May i ask what motion settings you usually have for sports? I'd say this is one of the very few LCDs that is appropriate for sports watching, the screen uniformity is very good.

Videomirage, i have to say i was pleasantly surprised about x950g's motion. Especially after seeing how crappy motion was on x900f. It is way way better on x950g than on most of the newest tvs one the market. Only second to some older 1080p LGs and latest Panasonic OLEDs like GZ950, 1600 and 2000, which have the best motion ever.

But like i already wrote before, i have noticed some occasional stutter but it isn't really that bad tbh. But it can be noticed. I've updated to the latest patch and i've set the motion to smoothness 3, clearness 1, cinemotion to off. I find those settings to be the best to combat judder and avoiding artifacts at the same time.

But after what i've seen on Sony x900f, Samsung Q70R and Q80R, i have to say x950g handles motion above average for a 4k tv. I guess we just can't have new 4k tv with latest stuff and perfect motion at the same time. The older 1080p tvs were better at motion. But x950g surely passed my test, otherwise i'd already return it the second day, just like i did with x900f. Overall i'm very happy with the tv and bear in mind i'm very picky about it. It'd give it 9/10.

Btw, if your tv is giving you motion problems you have 2 options left. 1. You do a factory reset so you erase the updates (if you think those are the cause of problems, altough i think they shouldn't be) or 2. You try and exchange it for another unit. But seriously, i can guarantee you this tv still has better motion than any other tv issued after 2016, only second to latest Panasonic OLEDs. And i've test, seen and read enough to confirm this.

My motion settings are:

Motion Flow: Custom, Smoothness: 1, Clearness: Min, CineMotion: Auto.

Under Clarity, I have Reality Creation: Off, Random noise reduction: Off, Digital Noise reduction: Off, Smooth gradation: Low

My source is Dish Network (a Dish Joey) via HDMI straight to the TV. I don’t run the video through my Denon receiver. I use the optical out of the TV for audio.

I do recall when I set it up trying other settings where I could not see a thrown football very well. These settings work very well. Also when watching golf, I want to see a putt roll smoothly. It does, no jerky studder, judder or whatever you call it. Just smooth and the ball stays round looking.

Rgdawson

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3101 of 4444 Old 12-01-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

I bought and returned two 65” oleds, the c8 and then later, the c9. Serious color uniformity issues for me. The C8 had an issue where the left 20% of the screen was a different color of green which drove me nuts watching golf and football. The C9 had the same issue, though not as bad in the middle of the screen. So I gave up and went with the Sony 950. Perfection.

rgdawson

post #3102 of 4444 Old 12-02-2019, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I have a general question on Sony's X-wide angle that comes on the 75" and above for the 950G models. My 950G 65" does not have this but I also do not sit anywhere at an angle with the tv.. It's straight on. I am very tempted to return this back to BBY and get the 75" because we have the room downstairs (could probably go 82" in all honestly) but one thing that concerns me is that I've read that this x-wide angle drastically affects the contrast and blacks. I currently think the picture on our 65" is excellent. The blacks are black and I have honestly not even touched the brightness or contrast settings. I haven't touched any settings honestly because I think the picture quality is superb...

Has anyone been able to directly compare the non x-wide with the x-wide? IE: Someone in my boat that did not have it, then decided they wanted the larger version of the same tv that does now have the x-wide angle. Can you give honest feedback on if has negatively affected the picture quality. My one concern is I go up in size expecting the same picture quality only then to be disappointed because I sacrificed one thing to get larger size.

Appreciate it!

-Nigel

~NSG~
post #3103 of 4444 Old 12-02-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, the USB is always on, so that should work.
USB is not always on. In fact, a major complaint about USB power has to do with Bias Lights randomly turning on as the set comes out of full sleep to check for updates or even responds to a Wake-on-LAN packet from other devices on the network but doesn't fully power on.

Power-sensing power strips work really well to control the bias light based on another device powering on or off, but the current draw of the TV is too high even in sleep mode for it to be the controlling device. For me, I have a soundbar connected via HDMI that powers on and off based on the TV. Its power draw drops down low enough when off for the strip to determine that it should power off the controlled outlet that the bias light is plugged into. It works really well for me as powering on the TV causes the soundbar to power on, the strip detects that and powers on the bias lights. Similar for powering off and the bias light getting shut off when the strip detects that the soundbar has shut down.
PeeJHooK likes this.
post #3104 of 4444 Old 12-02-2019, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Question. I’m a long time Sony enthusiast and owner. I have a 75Z9D in my pool room. I gave 9000$ for this amazing tv in 2017. Should I sell it and buy this 950G in an 85 inch or keep my tv. Thanks
post #3105 of 4444 Old 12-02-2019, 08:52 AM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgdawson View Post
My motion settings are:

Motion Flow: Custom, Smoothness: 1, Clearness: Min, CineMotion: Auto.

Under Clarity, I have Reality Creation: Off, Random noise reduction: Off, Digital Noise reduction: Off, Smooth gradation: Low

My source is Dish Network (a Dish Joey) via HDMI straight to the TV. I don’t run the video through my Denon receiver. I use the optical out of the TV for audio.

I do recall when I set it up trying other settings where I could not see a thrown football very well. These settings work very well. Also when watching golf, I want to see a putt roll smoothly. It does, no jerky studder, judder or whatever you call it. Just smooth and the ball stays round looking.

Rgdawson

Thanks for those settings, I watch football and golf too so I have been looking for what works best in calibrating my new 55" 950G. Figured I better start lurking around this thread instead of the 900 since I took back the 49" for the 55 in this one when the black friday deals showed up.

I'm still messing around with the picture settings on this one since I just got it set up on Sunday. Seems like these tv's need a few days of burn in before you can really find a good picture. I had the 900 looking quite nice before BB forced me to return it with their dumb Black Friday policies.
But thanks to that I'm rocking a new 55 and Im very pleased with it so far.
post #3106 of 4444 Old 12-02-2019, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Chesnutt View Post
Question. I’m a long time Sony enthusiast and owner. I have a 75Z9D in my pool room. I gave 9000$ for this amazing tv in 2017. Should I sell it and buy this 950G in an 85 inch or keep my tv. Thanks
What do you feel you currently lack that might be solved by getting the 950G? Some of my thought processes:

1) I still think Dolby Vision is extremely overrated
2) I hate playing the panel lottery
3) Don't sell your old unit until you have the new one so you can compare and return the new one if it's not up to par
4) I find Sony's build quality goes down with every generation in most of their products
post #3107 of 4444 Old 12-02-2019, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've had my 950g for a couple months and this weekend ran into an issue that I'm having difficulty pinpointing, let alone describing and wondering if anyone else has run into something similar. More or less it seems as if the TV is having issues decoding(?) video (run into it at least on HBO Go App, Amazon Prime Video App, and Plex -- will be testing later today to see if it also appears when using Apple TV 4K).

At first I thought the problem was the fault of the video provider (i.e. episodes of tv shows being poorly encoded) as there would be audio blips/cracks, and the video would be choppy/stuttery, or parts of the frame would drop or be the "old" image while other parts move onto the "new" image. That said seems a bit suspicious to run into the problem with different shows/movies, so assuming it's the tv.

Any thoughts/experiences with this?
post #3108 of 4444 Old 12-02-2019, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Would you be happy with tossing the Z9D into the landfall and buying a new set? Residual value on televisions is horrendous, so that's sort of how you need to look at what you're proposing. Given that the TV you are looking to replace would have no warranty, can't be shipped, and won't fit in most homes, your market to sell into is super small.
post #3109 of 4444 Old 12-02-2019, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I never have any trouble selling my TV’S when I buy a new one. Mine are always in perfect condition. I understand what you’re saying but I already have a buyer lined up for 3000$
jlo8720 likes this.
post #3110 of 4444 Old 12-02-2019, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expy View Post
Still crashing on every built in app. When I'm watching a streaming app and pause (or not) to change picture settings the TV crashes and I have to restart that app. The second attempt is most usually successful. Is this common?
No! What's your connection speed? connected to the Tv, or wifi?
post #3111 of 4444 Old 12-02-2019, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I just got my 65" today, during the day with bright light outside TV picture is great, but now when its dark here are captures of backlight bleed. I've been using plasma for 7 years and this is unplesent surprise...

Also I noticed when I am standing (above center of TV) picture is much brighter. Watching from the side (tv center alignment) its looking fine.

Also in HDR subtitles are killing me, they are to damn bright. Picture in HDR is maybe darker than in should be (some details that are almost black in HDR, same video in 1080p those areas have normal picture) but overall hdr colors look really beautiful.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
post #3112 of 4444 Old 12-02-2019, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreic View Post
I just got my 65" today, during the day with bright light outside TV picture is great, but now when its dark here are captures of backlight bleed. I've been using plasma for 7 years and this is unplesent surprise...

Also I noticed when I am standing (above center of TV) picture is much brighter. Watching from the side (tv center alignment) its looking fine.

Also in HDR subtitles are killing me, they are to damn bright. Picture in HDR is maybe darker than in should be (some details that are almost black in HDR, same video in 1080p those areas have normal picture) but overall hdr colors look really beautiful.

Picture #1 , the Sony TVs turn off FALD when no signal is received or only a black splash screen is present so that screen is normal, you will see the same thing when viewing the NetFlix opening screen where just the N shows.

Picture #2 also looks like FALD is off or you are using Vivid mode which can cause horrendous bleed and halos when viewing content like you have displayed.

More information as to what your picture settings are would help.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #3113 of 4444 Old 12-02-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Picture #1 , the Sony TVs turn off FALD when no signal is received or only a black splash screen is present so that screen is normal, you will see the same thing when viewing the NetFlix opening screen where just the N shows.

Picture #2 also looks like FALD is off or you are using Vivid mode which can cause horrendous bleed and halos when viewing content like you have displayed.

More information as to what your picture settings are would help.
Actually it's HDR material just before intro of a TV show. I catched that black only so you can see how much backbleed is present. If you take a look above and below picture #2 back bleed is still present.

Picture settings:
HDR
Cinema
Brightness max
color 50
auto picture mode off
contrast 90
gamma 0
black adjust, adv conrasr enhancer, auto local dimmin off
HDR mode auto

I think this is just a panel problem, if I return it I might get better or worser panel, same like with my PC monitor 27" acer predator IPS.

Look at upper left corner, backlight is going trough the picture...

Its the same on 1080p...

post #3114 of 4444 Old 12-02-2019, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Actually it's HDR material just before intro of a TV show. I catched that black only so you can see how much backbleed is present. If you take a look above and below picture #2 back bleed is still present.

Picture settings:
HDR
Cinema
Brightness max
color 50
auto picture mode off
contrast 90
gamma 0
black adjust, adv conrasr enhancer, auto local dimmin off
HDR mode auto

I think this is just a panel problem, if I return it I might get better or worser panel, same like with my PC monitor 27" acer predator IPS.

Look at upper left corner, backlight is going trough the picture...

Its the same on 1080p...

You have Auto Local Dimming OFF , This disables the FALD capability which is essential to the use of your 950G. Set this to High for HDR content or Medium for SDR content. With FALD off that clouding you are seeing is standard for FALD TVs.

Then let us know how it goes.
lupi99 and sunfy888 like this.

Current system:
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #3115 of 4444 Old 12-02-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
You have Auto Local Dimming OFF , This disables the FALD capability which is essential to the use of your 950G. Set this to High for HDR content or Medium for SDR content. With FALD off that clouding you are seeing is standard for FALD TVs.

Then let us know how it goes.
Yeah it is much better now. Where do I find recommended settings for this TV? I used https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x950g/settings and disabled dimming since white subs looked to bright.

post #3116 of 4444 Old 12-02-2019, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah it is much better now. Where do I find recommended settings for this TV? I used https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x950g/settings and disabled dimming since white subs looked to bright.

You can try these:

http://best-tv-settings.com/tv-setti...ny-x950g-xg95/
dreic likes this.

Current system:
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #3117 of 4444 Old 12-02-2019, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
My brother just scored a floor model 75" Z9D to replace an older 65" Sony. He said it's the last decent 3D TV so if that's important to you, you won't have 3D on the 950G.
post #3118 of 4444 Old 12-02-2019, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:

I dont like many recommended settings posted on the web
Its not your TV
Its not in your environment
Its not your eyes or preference

In addition they seem to want to turn off the advanced processing technology Sony put in to the TV.

Try setting all video settings to default including light sensor on. With it off, I found I would have to adjust brightness quite a bit when viewing in a bright setting Vs in the dark (why is that not a surprise)? Next Set video mode to Cinema.

Watch it for a while and see what you think needs changing if anything.
post #3119 of 4444 Old 12-02-2019, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Looks like Android 9 Pie is being pushed. At least this reddit post says it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191202-171024_Reddit_1575328257370.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	2648564  

Last edited by Expy; 12-02-2019 at 04:11 PM.
post #3120 of 4444 Old 12-02-2019, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 66
What does everyone think of the colors on this set? According to RTings.com, this set doesn’t excel so well at colors. Does anyone else find this to be the case? Every time I see this set in Best Buy, I’m blown away and I think the colors are fantastic. I might be one of the few who think the whole “Quantom Dot” tech isn’t so much more coloring as it is over saturating the picture...but that’s probably just me. Anyways, I just thought the colors were great on this set.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page