2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 105 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1209Likes

post #3121 of 3248 Old 12-02-2019, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 66
What does everyone think of the colors on this set? According to RTings.com, this set doesn’t excel so well at colors. Does anyone else find this to be the case? Every time I see this set in Best Buy, I’m blown away and I think the colors are fantastic. I might be one of the few who think the whole “Quantom Dot” tech isn’t so much more coloring as it is over saturating the picture...but that’s probably just me. Anyways, I just thought the colors were great on this set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3122 of 3248 Old 12-02-2019, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumberlandgap View Post
I've had my 950g for a couple months and this weekend ran into an issue that I'm having difficulty pinpointing, let alone describing and wondering if anyone else has run into something similar. More or less it seems as if the TV is having issues decoding(?) video (run into it at least on HBO Go App, Amazon Prime Video App, and Plex -- will be testing later today to see if it also appears when using Apple TV 4K).

At first I thought the problem was the fault of the video provider (i.e. episodes of tv shows being poorly encoded) as there would be audio blips/cracks, and the video would be choppy/stuttery, or parts of the frame would drop or be the "old" image while other parts move onto the "new" image. That said seems a bit suspicious to run into the problem with different shows/movies, so assuming it's the tv.

Any thoughts/experiences with this?
Mine does the same thing occasionally. The video will pause for 1-2 seconds but audio still plays, then both will be back in sync. I've seen on Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and At&t TV Now apps.Pretty sure it has something to do with clearing the cache, as always. It only started happening after the most recent update for me. It has not gotten on my nerves yet though, so I have not tried to do anything to fix.
post #3123 of 3248 Old 12-02-2019, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Our new 85” arrives Saturday! Does this set have a built in camera or microphone? Want to disable as much remote monitoring as possible. Thanks!
Hi, Did you get the new TV yet? If you did, I was wondering if I may ask a favor. From the document I downloaded from Sony(thanks for the link) it looks like the widest point on the front of the legs is 69.5 inches. I read on this thread(can't find it now exactly where) that is was 59.5 inches. Could you please measure the width required. If it is 69.5 I will have to make some modifications. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3124 of 3248 Old 12-02-2019, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji View Post
Hi, Did you get the new TV yet? If you did, I was wondering if I may ask a favor. From the document I downloaded from Sony(thanks for the link) it looks like the widest point on the front of the legs is 69.5 inches. I read on this thread(can't find it now exactly where) that is was 59.5 inches. Could you please measure the width required. If it is 69.5 I will have to make some modifications. Thanks
I have my 85” on an extending wall mount. I never installed the legs so don’t have measurements. If I get time tomorrow I will try to get you a measurement by installing the legs.
post #3125 of 3248 Old 12-02-2019, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
After several issue I tried to return my set to Walmart but they had computer issues on their end. I had to bring it back home and then read about the update today. I gave it a shot and it seems to have fixed my settings crash issues and sound issues as well. My wifi is broken now though when it worked perfectly before. I'm using my Fire tv Cube and it works fine on wifi .
post #3126 of 3248 Old 12-02-2019, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have my 85” on an extending wall mount. I never installed the legs so don’t have measurements. If I get time tomorrow I will try to get you a measurement by installing the legs.
Thank you very much. I really appreciate that. I remember reading 59.5 and I have stand that is 61". However, when I downloaded the pdf file, it says 69 5/8. I have to make major changes before the TV comes(early next week?). Thanks again.

Also, since you are taking the trouble, if you get a chance see if the legs can be reversed. There were initial reports that you can't do that and then I read that you can on the larger sets. Not sure.
post #3127 of 3248 Old 12-02-2019, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just checking:

I do not have an outlet on the behind where I mount televisions. I have a standard (extended) power cable (with the square and the circle connection) running along the wall. Does the X950G take that connection or is it proprietary? If proprietary, does anyone have any recommendations for powering this thing? The run is about 3.5m to the electrical outlet.

This is the only thing holding me back from buying.
post #3128 of 3248 Old 12-02-2019, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent View Post
Question for 950G owners: is there still a USB glitch on this TV? Example (my 900E): I have USB/LED backlighting. When I turn off the set, the USB stays powered on, then off, then on, then off... and the cycle continues no matter what USB port I put these lights on.

I am so eyeballing the 75" 950G - stunning in Demo mode and reading comments, stunning in normal mode.
same problem still existing as of last week on 65 950G

Sony XBR-65X950G (2019) w/ Yamaha RX-677 w/ 3.1
Xbox One X
Apple TV 4K
YouTube TV
Sony XBR-43X830C (2015) w/ Xbox One S, LG 60PM6700 (2012)
post #3129 of 3248 Old 12-02-2019, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Nice to see the Apple airplay update take effect on the x950g with android 9 now!
brickyardz likes this.
post #3130 of 3248 Old 12-02-2019, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I am not seeing the update coming up yet on my 55 inch X950G. I was told in October though that the next update would finally enable 1440P at 120Hz for PC usage. This is the feature I have been waiting for.
post #3131 of 3248 Old 12-02-2019, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
I'm curious what settings are people leaving their X-tended Dynamic Range at under advance settings?

LG OLED55C7P | Sony 75X950G | Vizio M65‑E0 | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121
post #3132 of 3248 Old 12-03-2019, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
Just checking:

I do not have an outlet on the behind where I mount televisions. I have a standard (extended) power cable (with the square and the circle connection) running along the wall. Does the X950G take that connection or is it proprietary? If proprietary, does anyone have any recommendations for powering this thing? The run is about 3.5m to the electrical outlet.

This is the only thing holding me back from buying.
The 85”takes the standard US computer type power cord. I just reused the one off my old Samsung plasma.
post #3133 of 3248 Old 12-03-2019, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiller4128 View Post
What does everyone think of the colors on this set? According to RTings.com, this set doesn’t excel so well at colors. Does anyone else find this to be the case? Every time I see this set in Best Buy, I’m blown away and I think the colors are fantastic. I might be one of the few who think the whole “Quantom Dot” tech isn’t so much more coloring as it is over saturating the picture...but that’s probably just me. Anyways, I just thought the colors were great on this set.

Its absolutely beautiful...as a matter of fact i think rtings says it has the most accurate colors out of the box if I'm not mistaken.

Think before you speak....
post #3134 of 3248 Old 12-03-2019, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Android Pie Update w/ Homekit and Airplay 2 support and other improvements

I'll upload a couple more pics but this is the most interesting one.

general marketing link for 2019 tvs receiving this update, including new features, changes,etc
https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...icles/00231372

closest thing to a changelog for the build that was released to the 65" 950G and other eligible models
https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/00016469

Spoiler!

I currently do not have Homekit devices and am getting an error when I attempt to stream a movie from my Apple account via iTunes app on my W10 machine.

I will have to play with it a little to see if I pick up performance improvements. I don't know OTOH what underlying performance gains to expect just from Android 8 to Android 9.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20191202_204101_1575381415154.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	6.82 MB
ID:	2648736  

Sony XBR-65X950G (2019) w/ Yamaha RX-677 w/ 3.1
Xbox One X
Apple TV 4K
YouTube TV
Sony XBR-43X830C (2015) w/ Xbox One S, LG 60PM6700 (2012)

Last edited by jlo8720; 12-04-2019 at 10:31 AM.
post #3135 of 3248 Old 12-03-2019, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
I dont like many recommended settings posted on the web
Its not your TV
Its not in your environment
Its not your eyes or preference

In addition they seem to want to turn off the advanced processing technology Sony put in to the TV.

Try setting all video settings to default including light sensor on. With it off, I found I would have to adjust brightness quite a bit when viewing in a bright setting Vs in the dark (why is that not a surprise)? Next Set video mode to Cinema.

Watch it for a while and see what you think needs changing if anything.
Well, someone who is professional in the area made calibrations and claims settings he recommends are the best, why would I (as non professional) argue? These recommend settings solves issues that I faced (cloudy areas of white and to bright subs that hurt my eyes).
post #3136 of 3248 Old 12-03-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
I dont like many recommended settings posted on the web
Its not your TV
Its not in your environment
Its not your eyes or preference

In addition they seem to want to turn off the advanced processing technology Sony put in to the TV.

Try setting all video settings to default including light sensor on. With it off, I found I would have to adjust brightness quite a bit when viewing in a bright setting Vs in the dark (why is that not a surprise)? Next Set video mode to Cinema.

Watch it for a while and see what you think needs changing if anything.
The light sensor needs to be off or it will interfere with the overall image quality. Allowing the TV to change brightness based on ambient light is going to directly affect specific colors and tints. Whites become yellowed and yellows can turn to a brownish as brightness is reduced. I've had the light sensor off on all of my sets from day one and have NEVER had an issue with whether it's not bright enough or too bright, etc. I also have bias lighting to keep the amount of light in the room at a more constant level (for my eyes) which enhances the experience as well.
post #3137 of 3248 Old 12-03-2019, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJHooK View Post
I'm curious what settings are people leaving their X-tended Dynamic Range at under advance settings?
Off.
PeeJHooK and Oplasmic like this.
post #3138 of 3248 Old 12-03-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiller4128 View Post

The content being fed to the sets in BB is nothing like what you will be able to drive the set with at home. Don't get too overwhelmed with how pretty it is in the store.
post #3139 of 3248 Old 12-03-2019, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Up until about a week ago, my primary setup was a 65" 900E with the Sony HTZ9F soundbar (with the rear speakers). Soundbar is connected via HDMI3 / ARC and I have had absolutely no problems.

The 900E developed an issue and Sony replaced it with the 65" 950G. I now have a lot of problems with sound going completely dead on me and I have power everything off and boot it all back up to get sound working again. It's a giant pain. Has anyone else had issues with ARC in this sort of setup?

By comparison, who's using ARC without any issues at all?
post #3140 of 3248 Old 12-03-2019, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Sorry to bump, but I still can't figure this out. I tried a few combinations of setting and of course, trying game mode and standard modes to no avail. It really seems to be input lag on just Super Mario World, but I can't completely confirm that. I know that game very well and the other day it just handled so poorly due to the input lag.

Is there a setting combination that I haven't tried that works? I'm desperate for help on this! Thanks in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellamorte13 View Post
Has anyone had any experience playing a NES/SNES mini on the 950g?

I played both of mine last night and the lag in Super Mario World was really bad - something was just off about the response time. I played with the modes (like game mode) and motion settings but nothing seemed to help.

As always, your help is much appreciated.
post #3141 of 3248 Old 12-03-2019, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJHooK View Post
It comes down to preference. The correct setting is to have it off for SDR content but on for HDR. Since there is a low,med,high setting, it comes down to preference for HDR content. For dolbyvision bright, I use xtended range on low setting. For regular hdr, I will only go medium. The Disney+ app always forces my tv to do high for some reason. On another note, using this feature for sdr content will give you inaccurate picture but it will allow you to drop the brightness down pretty low compared to having it off. If I were you, I’d create a custom preset and try the low setting on sdr content in order to compare the image vs having it turned off. You may like it on for certain content like anime for example.
PeeJHooK likes this.
post #3142 of 3248 Old 12-03-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreic View Post
Yeah it is much better now. Where do I find recommended settings for this TV? I used https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x950g/settings and disabled dimming since white subs looked to bright.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreic View Post
Well, someone who is professional in the area made calibrations and claims settings he recommends are the best, why would I (as non professional) argue? These recommend settings solves issues that I faced (cloudy areas of white and to bright subs that hurt my eyes).
Wasnt the professional settings recommendation of turning off local dimming your issue to begin with? Maybe I misread the source of your issue.

For SDR content, there are six preset picture modes. We recommend choosing the 'Custom' picture mode, as it is the most accurate one out of the box, and allows for the most customization. We recommend leaving the contrast to '90,' gamma at '0,' and the black level at '50.' For our calibration, black adjust, adv. contrast enhancer, and auto local dimming were all disabled, but you should adjust these to your liking. When watching content with subtitles, if you notice that the screen brightness fluctuates, you may want to disable local dimming.

You should adjust the brightness to your specific viewing conditions. Changing the brightness does not have any impact on the overall picture quality.
post #3143 of 3248 Old 12-03-2019, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yeah, acrticle is bit confusing...

Used settings from http://best-tv-settings.com/tv-setti...ny-x950g-xg95/ (flatpanelshd)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
post #3144 of 3248 Old 12-03-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6846 Post(s)
Liked: 6842
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgdawson View Post
I bought and returned two 65” oleds, the c8 and then later, the c9. Serious color uniformity issues for me. The C8 had an issue where the left 20% of the screen was a different color of green which drove me nuts watching golf and football. The C9 had the same issue, though not as bad in the middle of the screen. So I gave up and went with the Sony 950. Perfection.
That is sweet you found what you like, for many it can take years....... Actually it looks like it may have took a while for you as well.....
post #3145 of 3248 Old 12-03-2019, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Hi,
I'm having a problem and need some help watching Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube etc using the Sony apps.
I'm not getting audio from the TV to the AVR but if I select the TV Speakers it works fine.
I have the TV connected to the AVR via HDMI TV/eARC to AVR/ARC. No other connection.
I've checked the TV's settings and can't find anything and I've checked the AVR (Marantz 5011) and can't find anything wrong.
I'm sure it was working when I set up the TV last month when I bought it so I'm at a loss and hoping for some help.

I watch TV via cable box and all is fine.
I watch movies via a BD player and also use a Zidoo media player...all work fine.
It's just when I watch a show via the TV's apps so I'm thinking the audio signal is not being sent to the AVR.
Help is much appreciated.
Thanks

TV: Sony XBR 65X950G, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Media Player: Zidoo Z9S, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
post #3146 of 3248 Old 12-03-2019, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
Hi,
I'm having a problem and need some help watching Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube etc using the Sony apps.
I'm not getting audio from the TV to the AVR but if I select the TV Speakers it works fine.
I have the TV connected to the AVR via HDMI TV/eARC to AVR/ARC. No other connection.
I've checked the TV's settings and can't find anything and I've checked the AVR (Marantz 5011) and can't find anything wrong.
I'm sure it was working when I set up the TV last month when I bought it so I'm at a loss and hoping for some help.

I watch TV via cable box and all is fine.
I watch movies via a BD player and also use a Zidoo media player...all work fine.
It's just when I watch a show via the TV's apps so I'm thinking the audio signal is not being sent to the AVR.
Help is much appreciated.
Thanks
On the X900F, which I'm sure is the same, connect HDMI cable to HDMI 3. That is the ARC input, then go in to your receivers settings and enable ARC to "on". That fixed my problem on an older Yamaha RX-A1010 receiver. The ARC had never been enabled on the receiver and had never had to have been.
post #3147 of 3248 Old 12-03-2019, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Just got my 65" 950G last night, is there a way to check input signal info? I can't seem to find anything!
I've had numerous strange things with HDR and Dolby Vision working then not working I think I have the 950G working now but on my Nvidea Shield I seem to have to restart the Shield to get HDR to work? One thing really has me puzzled. I like to use an app called Live Channels with my HD Homerun network Cable Tuner and all works well with my Shield and allows me to record cable but when installed on the 950G as soon as I install it I'm no longer able to use my HDMI 3 EARC input that's hooked to my Marantz 7702MKII. I click on HDMI 3 EARC and a gray box pops up saying Live Channels one time or always or something weird like that and I'm no longer able to use my Marantz as a source? Uninstall the Live Channel app and all works again?

Last edited by Craigslue; 12-03-2019 at 04:38 PM.
post #3148 of 3248 Old 12-03-2019, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji View Post
My 85” screen is 75” wide.
The legs facing out is about 69” wide at the tips.
The legs on the 85” can definitely be installed with the tips facing in.
Legs facing in is about 25” wide at the tips. Leg mounts are about 49” apart so need a cabinet with a minimum 50” wide top.
Hope that helps!
Pete
post #3149 of 3248 Old 12-03-2019, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My 85” screen is 75” wide.
The legs facing out is about 69” wide at the tips.
The legs on the 85” can definitely be installed with the tips facing in.
Legs facing in is about 25” wide at the tips. Leg mounts are about 49” apart so need a cabinet with a minimum 50” wide top.
Hope that helps!
Pete
Thank you very much, Peter. That helps a lot. I will use it with the legs reversed. Eventually, I may buy a good pedestal stand. I appreciate you taking the time to help.
post #3150 of 3248 Old 12-04-2019, 02:06 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I ended up getting the new firmware on my X950G 55 inch tonight. To my disappointment though, this firmware still does not allow for 1440P at 120Hz. I was told by a rep at Sony that this would be added with this new firmware. In my opinion, it is unacceptable for this TV to not allow this refresh rate at 1440P, when the previous X900F was capable of 1440P at 120Hz just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page