2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 107 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1665Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3181 of 4504 Old 12-05-2019, 10:46 AM
Newbie
 
sammjordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes800 View Post
I have x950g for a week now and even tho i was initially surprised about it's motion, i'm getting more and more irritated by it's damn screen tearing during fast motion scenes. Altough it is still miles better than x900f, it's motion certainly isn't as good as some people say it is. Videomirage was right and the only one noticing it in this thread before myself. At first i thought his tv is somehow defective, or the update made the motion juddery, but now i see it's just the way it is. Should i try and live with it or should i return this tv as well and get Panasonic Oled gz950? After seeing it at my friend's house, i should say it really has the best motion out of any tvs i've ever seen. Not to mention it has a plethora of motion settings available and sliders from 1 to 10 for custom frame insertion. The only thing that scares me is burnin.
I think all those people that keep saying Sony is the best at motion handling, made a spelling error and wanted to say Panasonic. Lol
That's a really interesting point you bring up Rhodes, would you be able to share a video of the problem you're seeing?
sammjordan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3182 of 4504 Old 12-05-2019, 12:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes800 View Post
I have x950g for a week now and even tho i was initially surprised about it's motion, i'm getting more and more irritated by it's damn screen tearing during fast motion scenes. Altough it is still miles better than x900f, it's motion certainly isn't as good as some people say it is. Videomirage was right and the only one noticing it in this thread before myself. At first i thought his tv is somehow defective, or the update made the motion juddery, but now i see it's just the way it is. Should i try and live with it or should i return this tv as well and get Panasonic Oled gz950? After seeing it at my friend's house, i should say it really has the best motion out of any tvs i've ever seen. Not to mention it has a plethora of motion settings available and sliders from 1 to 10 for custom frame insertion. The only thing that scares me is burnin.
I think all those people that keep saying Sony is the best at motion handling, made a spelling error and wanted to say Panasonic. Lol
If motion flow isn't any better with the newest firmwares then your only solution is to use pc interpolation software (if you watch videos on your pc) and turning cinemotion to auto because after turning it on again yesterday i noticed that it removes the blur present in 24 fps content and reduces judder (at least i think that's what people call judder) motion interpolation neather svp nor motion flow on the tv seems to do anything about the blur. As for getting and Oled it's all up to you.
Videomirage is offline  
post #3183 of 4504 Old 12-05-2019, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,802
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 2375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes800 View Post
I have x950g for a week now and even tho i was initially surprised about it's motion, i'm getting more and more irritated by it's damn screen tearing during fast motion scenes. Altough it is still miles better than x900f, it's motion certainly isn't as good as some people say it is. Videomirage was right and the only one noticing it in this thread before myself. At first i thought his tv is somehow defective, or the update made the motion juddery, but now i see it's just the way it is. Should i try and live with it or should i return this tv as well and get Panasonic Oled gz950? After seeing it at my friend's house, i should say it really has the best motion out of any tvs i've ever seen. Not to mention it has a plethora of motion settings available and sliders from 1 to 10 for custom frame insertion. The only thing that scares me is burnin.
I think all those people that keep saying Sony is the best at motion handling, made a spelling error and wanted to say Panasonic. Lol
If you are particularly susceptible to motion, and can't do settings adjustments yourself, you might consider hiring a professional calibrator for any TV you purchase.

Related:

Sony X950G motion settings (link):

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x950g/settings

24p UHD Motion Issues - Panasonic 2019 OLEDs:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/24p...2255474/page-5

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3184 of 4504 Old 12-05-2019, 12:25 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees24 View Post
Have you set your hdmi inputs to “enhanced” ?
Hmm, I am not sure I will look up where to find that setting when I get home and see...
[email protected] is offline  
post #3185 of 4504 Old 12-05-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 25,261
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7032 Post(s)
Liked: 7066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Just got around to mounting our 65” X950G.

I’m having trouble getting our Onkyo TX NR686 to mate properly with the TV.

I’m not sure if I’m connecting everything in the most efficient way possible but I have both the cable box and blu ray player plugging into the receiver and then out to the TV.

I have it plugged into the 3rd HDMI input for ARC usage so I can stream Amazon and Netflix on top of that, but it doesn’t seem to be working.
ARC sometimes works and some times it does not, so it may not be working for you. Did you try using another HDMI input?
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #3186 of 4504 Old 12-05-2019, 02:03 PM
Newbie
 
Servo086's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreic View Post
Yeah, acrticle is bit confusing...

Used settings from http://best-tv-settings.com/tv-setti...ny-x950g-xg95/ (flatpanelshd)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Agreed. When it comes to the Color Gamma Offset what are most of you using? I don't have a colorimeter, and the article lists settings for every Gamma Offset option. When they recommend "Gamma '0'" are they referring to Color Gamma Offset?

Last edited by Servo086; 12-05-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Servo086 is offline  
post #3187 of 4504 Old 12-05-2019, 02:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I would say no, just gama which is 0 by default.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
dreic is offline  
post #3188 of 4504 Old 12-05-2019, 04:05 PM
Member
 
elvergun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm currently using an old (10 year old or so) Onkyo connected to my X950g via optical digital cable. I'm planning on getting an Apple TV 4k and I plan to connect it directly to the TV and continue to use the old Onkyo until I get a new receiver. But I read that if I do this I might only be getting stereo instead of Dolby 5.1. Is this accurate?

Last edited by elvergun; 12-05-2019 at 05:39 PM.
elvergun is offline  
post #3189 of 4504 Old 12-05-2019, 06:08 PM
Senior Member
 
allencc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreic View Post
I would say no, just gama which is 0 by default.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
FYI, custom preset has gamma defaulted to -2. Gamma defaults to 0 on only some presets, not all.
allencc3 is offline  
post #3190 of 4504 Old 12-05-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 3,272
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1895 Post(s)
Liked: 1504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
ARC sometimes works and some times it does not, so it may not be working for you. Did you try using another HDMI input?

I have not, I’ll try today. I might just end up running all the cables to the TV and then a ARC back to the receiver. Might have to use a digital cable instead of an hdmi one.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Russdawg1 is online now  
post #3191 of 4504 Old 12-06-2019, 12:56 AM
Member
 
TheDuke1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Does having a media streamer that auto matches frame rate like the Apple 4k TV matter on this TV? The cinemotion auto setting is supposed to adjust for 24 fps content sent to the TV in 60 fps on apps like Netflix etc correct?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
TheDuke1980 is offline  
post #3192 of 4504 Old 12-06-2019, 03:05 AM
Member
 
skyform's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I had my XG9505 for a week now and there is really only one thing that bothers me but it bothers me a lot. It's the rainbow effect which you can see (at least I can, I'm really sensitive to it) with anything bright or white like text or logos or bright lights moving on a black background. I can also see this just when blinking with my eyes or do any head movements. I see this mostly on VA panels, some have it less with which I'm ok but some have it more and it's killing me. IPS has it even less unless you turn on dynamic contrast to the highest setting. Anyone seeing this, I'm really sensitive to this.

I had this on my 11 year old Philips 37" TV and a two year newer 40" model didn't had it, it had but barely noticable.

My 49XE9005 also has a lot less of this, just like the last Philips, not much more then an IPS panels, XF had just little more but didn't bother me while XG has a lot of it like the very old Philips, strange because it uses exactly the same VA panel as XF. I'm wondering if OLED TV's have this, I never experienced an OLED in a home environment that's why I'm really tempt to try it

It's such a shame because I love everything else about this TV.

Last edited by skyform; 12-06-2019 at 03:25 AM.
skyform is offline  
post #3193 of 4504 Old 12-06-2019, 04:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Nighthog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyform View Post
I had my XG9505 for a week now and there is really only one thing that bothers me but it bothers me a lot. It's the rainbow effect which you can see (at least I can, I'm really sensitive to it) with anything bright or white like text or logos or bright lights moving on a black background. I can also see this just when blinking with my eyes or do any head movements. I see this mostly on VA panels, some have it less with which I'm ok but some have it more and it's killing me. IPS has it even less unless you turn on dynamic contrast to the highest setting. Anyone seeing this, I'm really sensitive to this.

I had this on my 11 year old Philips 37" TV and a two year newer 40" model didn't had it, it had but barely noticable.

My 49XE9005 also has a lot less of this, just like the last Philips, not much more then an IPS panels, XF had just little more but didn't bother me while XG has a lot of it like the very old Philips, strange because it uses exactly the same VA panel as XF. I'm wondering if OLED TV's have this, I never experienced an OLED in a home environment that's why I'm really tempt to try it

It's such a shame because I love everything else about this TV.

4:2:2 Chroma effect?


Tested images to see which it is?

Getting 4:4:4 Chroma to a TV can be a chore at times. Not all inputs accept it without down converting to 4:2:2 or worse.
Nighthog is offline  
post #3194 of 4504 Old 12-06-2019, 04:29 AM
Member
 
skyform's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthog View Post
4:2:2 Chroma effect?


Tested images to see which it is?

Getting 4:4:4 Chroma to a TV can be a chore at times. Not all inputs accept it without down converting to 4:2:2 or worse.

I'm not using any inputs, watching everything on android apps, like, netlfix, youtube, and even tv programs over app.
skyform is offline  
post #3195 of 4504 Old 12-06-2019, 06:41 AM
Newbie
 
casey_h_hoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
is there a link to latest firmware? I can’t find it on sony website. i am currently on 6.2540.0327naa i have 75”


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
casey_h_hoch is offline  
post #3196 of 4504 Old 12-06-2019, 09:10 AM
Senior Member
 
allencc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes800 View Post
I have x950g for a week now and even tho i was initially surprised about it's motion, i'm getting more and more irritated by it's damn screen tearing during fast motion scenes. Altough it is still miles better than x900f, it's motion certainly isn't as good as some people say it is. Videomirage was right and the only one noticing it in this thread before myself. At first i thought his tv is somehow defective, or the update made the motion juddery, but now i see it's just the way it is. Should i try and live with it or should i return this tv as well and get Panasonic Oled gz950? After seeing it at my friend's house, i should say it really has the best motion out of any tvs i've ever seen. Not to mention it has a plethora of motion settings available and sliders from 1 to 10 for custom frame insertion. The only thing that scares me is burnin.
I think all those people that keep saying Sony is the best at motion handling, made a spelling error and wanted to say Panasonic. Lol
From post #1263 :
Good afternoon guys. I just got the 950G last Friday and have been testing it all weekend. Coming from the 900E, I am expecting the motion handling to be much better than what I am currently experiencing. The 950G is missing CineMotion "HIGH" setting and also the "Smooth" preset from the 900E and F. It has the Ultimate processor but I can not really tell. No matter what I do, the motion handling it 10x better on the 900E. The motion handling on this set is horrible. Why would Sony do such a thing? I may have to pack it back up and get the 900F. The motion handling is so horrible that I think that my set may be defective and I really hope that it is because if it is not, Sony has dropped the ball. If anyone has a 950G, could you please test the motion out? If you are coming from a 900F, please tell me if the motion handling is worse on the G. The difference should be like night and day. Every time I walk into my living room, I am reminded of the wonderful TV that I used to have and am becoming very salty. Is this possible to fix using a firmware update?

I noticed an issue with the motion the second I hooked it up and started watching. Coming from a 900E, it was very easy to spot the inferior motion. You can't miss it.
allencc3 is offline  
post #3197 of 4504 Old 12-06-2019, 10:39 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
This is my first 4k TV and I agree with you, the motion is not very good with this set. Before I purchased this TV, I read a lot about Sony being the best in motion and all that - so I had high expectations. But my 1080p Toshiba TV was so much better. To be honest, the motion was good (not great) in the firmware when I first got the TV but when I upgraded to firmware 6.2540, it got worse IMHO.

I am hoping the new firmware can at least improve it.

But despite the "not so desirable" motion handling, I am extremely happy with this set. Blooming is there, yes, but with its accurate color and super clear video, it is just a joy to watch anything on this set. And the snappiness of the UI is just a great experience.
M Lab is offline  
post #3198 of 4504 Old 12-06-2019, 11:35 AM
Member
 
Dellamorte13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I think I'm having issues with clouding on my 55" X950G. I know HDR on Disney+ isn't the best example, but I was watching the new episode of The Mandalorian this morning and the first scene had his ship flying through space and while it was flying from one side of the screen to the other, his spaceship had a bloom cloud around it, which was real distracting. I notice the bleed coming up into the letterbox bars when I watch anything with letterbox (HDR & SDR) but that doesn't bother me. Having a cloud around an object in the center of the screen does though.

Local dimming is at high and I was watching this in a somewhat dark room at 4 AM.

Is there a setting I'm missing or is this something I should chalk up to panel lottery? If so, should I return it and try again?

Thanks!
Dellamorte13 is offline  
post #3199 of 4504 Old 12-06-2019, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
PeeJHooK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellamorte13 View Post
I think I'm having issues with clouding on my 55" X950G. I know HDR on Disney+ isn't the best example, but I was watching the new episode of The Mandalorian this morning and the first scene had his ship flying through space and while it was flying from one side of the screen to the other, his spaceship had a bloom cloud around it, which was real distracting. I notice the bleed coming up into the letterbox bars when I watch anything with letterbox (HDR & SDR) but that doesn't bother me. Having a cloud around an object in the center of the screen does though.

Local dimming is at high and I was watching this in a somewhat dark room at 4 AM.

Is there a setting I'm missing or is this something I should chalk up to panel lottery? If so, should I return it and try again?

Thanks!
I haven't seen this episode, but I have noticed the blooming/clouding as well watching previous episodes. I set my local dimming to medium and turned off Xtended Dynamic Range. This helped minimize it to the point that it's hardly noticeable with other lights on in the room, to somewhat noticeable/bearable in a near-to-dark setting.
Dellamorte13 likes this.

LG OLED55C7P | Sony 75X950G | LG UP970 | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121
PeeJHooK is offline  
post #3200 of 4504 Old 12-06-2019, 12:05 PM
Member
 
DannyW75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Well, this is interesting. Sony has removed the new firmware from their Canadian and USA websites. You can no longer download it from either.
Iluv4k likes this.
DannyW75 is offline  
post #3201 of 4504 Old 12-06-2019, 01:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 11
allencc3, whatever you do just don't return it for x900f, that garbage of a tv had so bad motion, i couldn't watch it more than 30 minutes and returned it right away. You'd be better of just with your old 900e. Now, this x950g doesn't have a good motion, but still much better than of x900f. No matter the settings. Currently i'm quite dissapointed on Sony tvs, especially after i was reading and listening people everywhere praising Sony's motion handling. I guess they just talk what they hear, without actually experiencing it themselves. I'm totally desperate and after 3 tv returns last month, i have no energy for this **** anymore.I'm thinking i should return x950g as well and either just live with my old 1080p LG (which has better motion than all of these fancy tvs nowadays) or i buy Panasonic oled gz950 or 1500. My friend owns gz950 and the motion is the best, even tho some people complain about 24fps judder, but i haven't seen any of it. Panasonic 2019 oled lineup has the best interpolation and frame insertion in the tv bussines. Zero judder and zero artifacts. To hell with Sony, they are a major dissapointment. They messed up ps4 with it's fake 4k resolution and weak gpu and they're messing their tvs. I guess they are just a shadow of once No1 brand.
Rhodes800 is offline  
post #3202 of 4504 Old 12-06-2019, 02:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyW75 View Post
Well, this is interesting. Sony has removed the new firmware from their Canadian and USA websites. You can no longer download it from either.
I was wondering why the new update had not pushed through yet
toby5 is offline  
post #3203 of 4504 Old 12-06-2019, 02:27 PM
Senior Member
 
hodgjy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes800 View Post
Can any of you x950g owners comment on low fps content stutter and cinemotion setting? What cinemotion setting do you usually use? Auto or off? Because i've noticed there's no in between options anymore, like low, med and high. Do you experience any stutter with 24/30fps content? After a longer gaming session and cable program watching, i was starting to notice a little ocasional stutter which is starting to worry me, because that was the main reason i've returned x900f, q70r and q80r in the first place. It has been always said that Sony is the king of the tv motion processing, but now i'm not so sure anymore about that. After seeing a few 2019 LG nanocell LCDs and it's 'clear' trumotion setting, i'd say it looks way smoother than on Sony tvs. Just a shame their blacks and PWM flicker sucks so bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes800 View Post
allencc3, whatever you do just don't return it for x900f, that garbage of a tv had so bad motion, i couldn't watch it more than 30 minutes and returned it right away. You'd be better of just with your old 900e. Now, this x950g doesn't have a good motion, but still much better than of x900f. No matter the settings. Currently i'm quite dissapointed on Sony tvs, especially after i was reading and listening people everywhere praising Sony's motion handling. I guess they just talk what they hear, without actually experiencing it themselves. I'm totally desperate and after 3 tv returns last month, i have no energy for this **** anymore.I'm thinking i should return x950g as well and either just live with my old 1080p LG (which has better motion than all of these fancy tvs nowadays) or i buy Panasonic oled gz950 or 1500. My friend owns gz950 and the motion is the best, even tho some people complain about 24fps judder, but i haven't seen any of it. Panasonic 2019 oled lineup has the best interpolation and frame insertion in the tv bussines. Zero judder and zero artifacts. To hell with Sony, they are a major dissapointment. They messed up ps4 with it's fake 4k resolution and weak gpu and they're messing their tvs. I guess they are just a shadow of once No1 brand.
Here we go again. Rhodes800 has repeatedly posted how much he hates the X900f and the Samsung Q80. The he goes on to say that the X950g might have motion issues.

It seems like every tv fails to live up to expectations. We get it, you hate most tvs. No need to say it 50 times.
hodgjy is offline  
post #3204 of 4504 Old 12-06-2019, 02:42 PM
Member
 
anelson3411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgdawson View Post
My motion settings are:

Motion Flow: Custom, Smoothness: 1, Clearness: Min, CineMotion: Auto.

Under Clarity, I have Reality Creation: Off, Random noise reduction: Off, Digital Noise reduction: Off, Smooth gradation: Low

My source is Dish Network (a Dish Joey) via HDMI straight to the TV. I don’t run the video through my Denon receiver. I use the optical out of the TV for audio.

I do recall when I set it up trying other settings where I could not see a thrown football very well. These settings work very well. Also when watching golf, I want to see a putt roll smoothly. It does, no jerky studder, judder or whatever you call it. Just smooth and the ball stays round looking.

Rgdawson


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just to throw my hat in the ring, I watched my first sporting event - Greenbay At NYG in the snow and it looked amazing even on a dreary day and streaming from the sunday ticket app on xbox one. Watched a few NBA games on youtubetv this week and it looks really great. same motion settings. NBA TV really sucks streaming on YTTV but TNT was solid. The Thor Ragnorak 4k BR was out of this world (no pun intended).
anelson3411 is offline  
post #3205 of 4504 Old 12-06-2019, 02:46 PM
Member
 
DannyW75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I have the Canada/USA update if anyone wants it. I downloaded it before they took it off the sites. Canada and USA have the same update. All you do is put the zip on a formatted to NTFS thumb drive. Make sure the drive is empty. You don't extract the zip before you put it on the thumb drive. Just copy the uncompressed zip to the drive. The update prompt pops up on the TV as soon as the thumb drive is connected to either USB port. Here it is at the link for anyone who wants it.

Edit: Just give me a few minutes, and I will upload it to WeTransfer or FileDropper. The download speed on easyupload is ridiculously slow.

Last edited by DannyW75; 12-06-2019 at 02:59 PM.
DannyW75 is offline  
post #3206 of 4504 Old 12-06-2019, 03:00 PM
Member
 
anelson3411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencc3 View Post
The brightness settings for HDR and SDR are seperate when using the same preset. Fo example, on my custom preset, when HDR is played, brightness autos to max. When SDR is played, it keeps the brightness setting that you set previously. The issue you will run into will be when you try to have different contrast and color setting for HDR and SDR. For this, you will need to use different presets. Its best to use the same contrast and color settings for both HDR and SDR content. However, this does not apply to DolbyVision.
thank you I noticed the same. Now, what is this about dolby vision? I have it for netflix but am waiting for my mesh wifi to come next Monday before playing dolby vision The Irishman.

I have 1HDMI IN to the TV from my receiver and the size and position of the mount really don't allow any others so I switch through my receiver. Unfortunately seems like without more holes in the wall this is what I have to deal with. Are dolby vision settings different?
anelson3411 is offline  
post #3207 of 4504 Old 12-06-2019, 03:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hodgjy, no i don't hate all tvs, it's just that i'm very sensitive to motion issues and flicker on tvs. Therefore, i notice it quickly. That said, i never had such issues on my older 1080p lg tv. And since i, just like the majority of people would like to experience 4k resolution in hdr, i'm in the quest of searching a 4k tv with decent motion handling, which seems like mission impossible so far. Obviously all 4k tvs have motion issues, some less than others, but all in general. I'm just dissapointed on Sony regarding this and you can see i'm not the only one.
Rhodes800 is offline  
post #3208 of 4504 Old 12-06-2019, 03:17 PM
Senior Member
 
allencc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by anelson3411 View Post
thank you I noticed the same. Now, what is this about dolby vision? I have it for netflix but am waiting for my mesh wifi to come next Monday before playing dolby vision The Irishman.

I have 1HDMI IN to the TV from my receiver and the size and position of the mount really don't allow any others so I switch through my receiver. Unfortunately seems like without more holes in the wall this is what I have to deal with. Are dolby vision settings different?
DolbyVision settings are different. If watching netflix, you will have 3 choices which are DolbyVision Bright, DolbyVision Dark, and Vivid. All 3 presets have their own settings.
allencc3 is offline  
post #3209 of 4504 Old 12-06-2019, 03:29 PM
Senior Member
 
allencc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes800 View Post
allencc3, whatever you do just don't return it for x900f, that garbage of a tv had so bad motion, i couldn't watch it more than 30 minutes and returned it right away. You'd be better of just with your old 900e. Now, this x950g doesn't have a good motion, but still much better than of x900f. No matter the settings. Currently i'm quite dissapointed on Sony tvs, especially after i was reading and listening people everywhere praising Sony's motion handling. I guess they just talk what they hear, without actually experiencing it themselves. I'm totally desperate and after 3 tv returns last month, i have no energy for this **** anymore.I'm thinking i should return x950g as well and either just live with my old 1080p LG (which has better motion than all of these fancy tvs nowadays) or i buy Panasonic oled gz950 or 1500. My friend owns gz950 and the motion is the best, even tho some people complain about 24fps judder, but i haven't seen any of it. Panasonic 2019 oled lineup has the best interpolation and frame insertion in the tv bussines. Zero judder and zero artifacts. To hell with Sony, they are a major dissapointment. They messed up ps4 with it's fake 4k resolution and weak gpu and they're messing their tvs. I guess they are just a shadow of once No1 brand.
I won't be returning the 950G, I will just purchase the new H model when it drops in a few months. However, if the H model has the same issues, less contrast ratio and worse motion handling, you better believe I will be returning. Don't hate the PS4 though, it has the best exclusives you can get, regardless of the checkerboard 4k. lol.
allencc3 is offline  
post #3210 of 4504 Old 12-06-2019, 03:37 PM
Member
 
Dellamorte13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJHooK View Post
I haven't seen this episode, but I have noticed the blooming/clouding as well watching previous episodes. I set my local dimming to medium and turned off Xtended Dynamic Range. This helped minimize it to the point that it's hardly noticeable with other lights on in the room, to somewhat noticeable/bearable in a near-to-dark setting.
Thanks! I'm not at home now but I suspect that I have the Xtended Dynamic Range on HIGH, as I kinda thought that was supposed to be set that way for HDR. I'll try it without and hopefully that solves it.

I swear - every day I learn something new about this TV or something new bothers me but I always get some advice or figure something out and come back full circle to that bad off-angle viewing (I have the 55"). I currently have the TV on an entertainment center shelf that's level with my couch. I'm considering putting up some bias lighting and maybe even wall-mounting it - something I didn't originally plan on doing, because I can move the TV around and not have it look too weird. *The TV is angled with the right side towards the couch so I can appreciate the blacks without having to sit directly in the middle of my couch*.
PeeJHooK likes this.
Dellamorte13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off