2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 108 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1664Likes

post #3211 of 4494 Old 12-06-2019, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Here is the firmware for anyone who wants it.

https://we.tl/t-L6AcQFFuMt
sunfy888 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 4494 Old 12-06-2019, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post
Here we go again. Rhodes800 has repeatedly posted how much he hates the X900f and the Samsung Q80. The he goes on to say that the X950g might have motion issues.

It seems like every tv fails to live up to expectations. We get it, you hate most tvs. No need to say it 50 times.
He is on the quest to find the perfect TV. He is not wrong about the motion issues of the 950G, however, hopefully motion will get better with a firmware update. If Sony can patch this, I will be happy. And don't get me wrong, the motion is good most of the time. But, there are times when you will see the flaws. It is hard to describe, but the best way to explain it is by using an fps reference. For example, a figure may walk across the screen and while in motion, the figure may appear to have a lower framerate than normal. This makes the motion appear hazy or blurry. Once I find a good example, I will turn off x-motion to see if it helps. But x-motion is supposed to make motion better so it would be a shame to have to turn it off.
post #3213 of 4494 Old 12-06-2019, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have a 75 900f and all good here... motion is good a lot better than my old Samsung js9500
Oplasmic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3214 of 4494 Old 12-06-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyW75 View Post
Here is the firmware for anyone who wants it.

https://we.tl/t-L6AcQFFuMt
Thanks dude!!! Don't know if I should install since Sony took it down. Maybe they noticed an issue or they are planning a newer update version.
post #3215 of 4494 Old 12-06-2019, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I have not found any issues since I upgraded the firmware on mine.
post #3216 of 4494 Old 12-06-2019, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
I have the Canada/USA update if anyone wants it. I downloaded it before they took it off the sites. Canada and USA have the same update. All you do is put the zip on a formatted to NTFS thumb drive. Make sure the drive is empty. You don't extract the zip before you put it on the thumb drive. Just copy the uncompressed zip to the drive. The update prompt pops up on the TV as soon as the thumb drive is connected to either USB port. Here it is at the link for anyone who wants it.

Edit: Just give me a few minutes, and I will upload it to WeTransfer or FileDropper. The download speed on easyupload is ridiculously slow.
If Sony has pulled the firmware, there's a reason for it. They did this a couple of times with the 900E firmwares, and waiting for the fixed one was worth it.

As an aside, I don't chase firmware to keep it current on day zero. I am usually weeks, if not months, behind on updates unless a firmware update addresses a specific issue I'm having.
brickyardz likes this.
post #3217 of 4494 Old 12-06-2019, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 408
RE: Motion Issues - I found a default setting that I didn't like...

I am one of those that is sensitive to the motion problems some TV's have. I saw some minor issues with my 900E, but the 950G was much worse for me. Today, I spent some time going through some additional settings that I normally wouldn't change and found that "Reality Creation" was enabled. Turning this off has made a very noticeable difference for me. If you're upset with poor motion on the 950G, check this setting and turn it off. See if it helps you.
rgdawson likes this.
post #3218 of 4494 Old 12-07-2019, 03:16 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello again
here is a photo of the black image which sony center send me to test along other colors, grey, blue red green.
In reality isnt so much visible though but clouding is there. Another thing I notice is that the clouding isnt so visible as it was in the beggining.
Opinions?
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191207_012142_1575713747907.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	2650576
post #3219 of 4494 Old 12-07-2019, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Meburdick, where is this reality creation setting located? At advanced PS? Haven't seen this yet. I'll definitely try this, thanks!
post #3220 of 4494 Old 12-07-2019, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes800 View Post
Meburdick, where is this reality creation setting located? At advanced PS? Haven't seen this yet. I'll definitely try this, thanks!
It’s under picture settings, advanced picture settings and then it’s in the clarity settings. All the calibration settings out there say to turn it off.
post #3221 of 4494 Old 12-07-2019, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
I have not found any issues since I upgraded the firmware on mine.
The new audio passthrough option is totally busted from what I can tell. Enable it and I just random noise with rapid audio signal "flicker" on my Denon X4500. I hope fixing this is the reason it was pulled.
post #3222 of 4494 Old 12-07-2019, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 5
So yesterday i discovered a bug(or maybe it's a feature LOL) in the motion settings : If you set cinemotion to auto then set motion flow to custom set smoothness and clearness to max and then (and here's the kicker)
TURN IT OFF , the motion is smoother overall even my mouse pointer goes smoother, of course the motion still isn't as we would like but there is no stuttering and combined with svp 4 i get ultra smooth motion i haven't seen smoother motion than this. I tried this on 1080p 120hz which without this trick the motion flow works without stuttering and with all videos but it's not very smooth like it's interpolating to a framerate below 60, but with these settings it was significantly smoother so i got my hopes up that i fixed it and that at 4k 60hz it would work properly but sadly it is not fixed although it is smother there too with svp 4. I don't know maybe the right combination of on and OFF settings in the motion settings menu will let us use motion flow like we all expected it to be.I guess furter testing is required. For now i still have to relay on pc software witch sucks because you can only use it for videos and not for videogames.
post #3223 of 4494 Old 12-07-2019, 09:10 AM

Liked: 2
Anyone using their Sony with a Bose soundbar? And stop already with Bose bashing, I know everyone hates Bose and all the no highs no lows must be Bose stuff. It’s the best soundbar I’ve tried, super happy with its sound. This is my secondary tv with all the higher end a/v stuff down on the 65” so this is all I need for this one.

That said. Has anyone tried going video in to the Bose and then out to the tv? That way I only have to use two hdmi cables and can ditch the optical. When I had DTV it never worked right for some reason. Switched it around to the optical cable and the issues went away. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on it or experience with it.
post #3224 of 4494 Old 12-07-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videomirage View Post
So yesterday i discovered a bug(or maybe it's a feature LOL) in the motion settings : If you set cinemotion to auto then set motion flow to custom set smoothness and clearness to max and then (and here's the kicker)
TURN IT OFF , the motion is smoother overall even my mouse pointer goes smoother, of course the motion still isn't as we would like but there is no stuttering and combined with svp 4 i get ultra smooth motion i haven't seen smoother motion than this. I tried this on 1080p 120hz which without this trick the motion flow works without stuttering and with all videos but it's not very smooth like it's interpolating to a framerate below 60, but with these settings it was significantly smoother so i got my hopes up that i fixed it and that at 4k 60hz it would work properly but sadly it is not fixed although it is smother there too with svp 4. I don't know maybe the right combination of on and OFF settings in the motion settings menu will let us use motion flow like we all expected it to be.I guess furter testing is required. For now i still have to relay on pc software witch sucks because you can only use it for videos and not for videogames.
Hope they fix as well. This has been bothering me from day 1. However, I guarantee you that if they give us Cinemotion (LOW,MED,HIGH) like in the previous sets, this issue will go away. I guarantee this. What made them replace the settings with just AUTO, is beyond me. Very stupid choice Sony. As you mentioned in a previous post, if the refresh rate does not match the content, Cinemotion plays dumb and can't figure out what to do. They need to let us control Cinemotion, not the TV.
post #3225 of 4494 Old 12-07-2019, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7028 Post(s)
Liked: 7059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoniums View Post
Hello again
here is a photo of the black image which sony center send me to test along other colors, grey, blue red green.
In reality isnt so much visible though but clouding is there. Another thing I notice is that the clouding isnt so visible as it was in the beggining.
Opinions?
Attachment 2650576
With that much clouding it looks like local dimming is off......
post #3226 of 4494 Old 12-07-2019, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
RE: Motion Issues - I found a default setting that I didn't like...

I am one of those that is sensitive to the motion problems some TV's have. I saw some minor issues with my 900E, but the 950G was much worse for me. Today, I spent some time going through some additional settings that I normally wouldn't change and found that "Reality Creation" was enabled. Turning this off has made a very noticeable difference for me. If you're upset with poor motion on the 950G, check this setting and turn it off. See if it helps you.
That's interesting. That setting just increases the sharpness. It's not "supposed" to do anything with motion.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #3227 of 4494 Old 12-07-2019, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencc3 View Post
Hope they fix as well. This has been bothering me from day 1. However, I guarantee you that if they give us Cinemotion (LOW,MED,HIGH) like in the previous sets, this issue will go away. I guarantee this. What made them replace the settings with just AUTO, is beyond me. Very stupid choice Sony. As you mentioned in a previous post, if the refresh rate does not match the content, Cinemotion plays dumb and can't figure out what to do. They need to let us control Cinemotion, not the TV.
I've been trying to find an answer to this. So if you watch a movie on Netflix originally shot in 24 fps but sent to your TV 60 fps because that's what Netflix does, cinemotion auto won't adjust accordingly? Debating on Apple tv 4k since it can auto match frame rate itself. But wondered if it was necessary if the TV can adjust for it anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #3228 of 4494 Old 12-07-2019, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I hope that Sony won't ruin motion with the firmware update because I don't really have a problem with motion, it's better then on XE and XF. XF was dissapointing and the worst of them, sutter, judder, artefacts, I couldnt belive this TV was praised by the reviewers as one of the best for motion, even my fathers low end Samsung from 2017 can do better motion. I don't miss that low, medium, high from XE and XF at all. Smothness min 1, 2 and max are more then enaugh and it really works better then the old motion from XE and XF.
post #3229 of 4494 Old 12-07-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
With that much clouding it looks like local dimming is off......
Nope it was on high or medium I think but I will try another one today in order to be sure.
So if it's not turn off, is this normal? And for once more in the reality this clouding doesnt look so bad... I would say around 30% or something.
post #3230 of 4494 Old 12-07-2019, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Maybe someone should give sony a link of this thread because they seem oblivious to the issue.
post #3231 of 4494 Old 12-07-2019, 11:16 AM

Liked: 13
2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
From post #1263 :

Good afternoon guys. I just got the 950G last Friday and have been testing it all weekend. Coming from the 900E, I am expecting the motion handling to be much better than what I am currently experiencing. The 950G is missing CineMotion "HIGH" setting and also the "Smooth" preset from the 900E and F. It has the Ultimate processor but I can not really tell. No matter what I do, the motion handling it 10x better on the 900E. The motion handling on this set is horrible. Why would Sony do such a thing? I may have to pack it back up and get the 900F. The motion handling is so horrible that I think that my set may be defective and I really hope that it is because if it is not, Sony has dropped the ball. If anyone has a 950G, could you please test the motion out? If you are coming from a 900F, please tell me if the motion handling is worse on the G. The difference should be like night and day. Every time I walk into my living room, I am reminded of the wonderful TV that I used to have and am becoming very salty. Is this possible to fix using a firmware update?

I noticed an issue with the motion the second I hooked it up and started watching. Coming from a 900E, it was very easy to spot the inferior motion. You can't miss it.

Since you just got the TV I’ll say this. Mine (65”) does motion handling very well. But I do recall when I first got and I was trying out various picture presets some were horrible with motion. I experimented with all the settings until as I recall I discovered the culprit. Don’t give up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by rgdawson; 12-07-2019 at 11:21 AM.
post #3232 of 4494 Old 12-07-2019, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Hello again
Opinions?
Attachment 2650576
Photographs tend to exaggerate contrast issues, but my word, that's horrible. I wouldn't tolerate that for one second. Get Sony to replace that panel. That's worse than my budget Vizio.
post #3233 of 4494 Old 12-07-2019, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What's the "culprit"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgdawson View Post
Since you just got the TV I’ll say this. Mine (65”) does motion handling very well. But I do recall when I first got and I was trying out various picture presets some were horrible with motion. I experimented with all the settings until as I recall I discovered the culprit. Don’t give up!

Well, I guess the obvious questions are, what was the "culprit", and what specific settings did you use to fix the motion handling? I'm sure there are more than a few of us that would like to know.

THANKS!
post #3234 of 4494 Old 12-07-2019, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 100
from rtings :

JUDDER SETTINGS
The Sony X950G is able to remove judder from all sources, but some additional settings are required for some content. For a native 24p signal, like from a Blu-ray player, no additional motion settings are required. To remove judder from external 60p/60i sources, like a cable box, or for the native apps, set motionflow to 'Custom,' set both the smoothness and clearness sliders to 'Min,' and set CineMotion to 'Auto.'

Think before you speak....
post #3235 of 4494 Old 12-07-2019, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Cable Box Lip Sync Problem?

Hey folks, is anyone experiencing lip-sync problems with your 950G? I have a cable box, Roku Ultra, and BD player (all set to output Dolby Digital or higher audio) connected to my Samsung Q90R TV...and the TV is connected to a Q80R soundbar (ARC). All of these external sources (and someone else reported the same problem with their X Box) have bad lip-sync issues that can't be fixed with tv and soundbar sync adjustments.

I am trying to find out if this problem is specific to Samsung. I'm still in the return period, and the Sony 950G (65") would be my "go to" alternative. I just want to find out if any 950G owners, who have similar connections (an external source with DD audio connected to the TV, and the TV connected to a soundbar) have any lip-sync problems.

PLEASE...I don't have much time left to return the Samsung...

Thanks.
post #3236 of 4494 Old 12-07-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Photographs tend to exaggerate contrast issues, but my word, that's horrible. I wouldn't tolerate that for one second. Get Sony to replace that panel. That's worse than my budget Vizio.
So I just took 2 more pictures.
One with FAD settings on high and on off.
Here are the results... I am pretty sure that this is not normal. Never so such thing on my previous Samsung Q7FN

Name:	20191207_212317_1575746992402.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	2650760

Name:	20191207_212237_1575747009775.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	2650762
post #3237 of 4494 Old 12-07-2019, 12:43 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcab17 View Post
Well, I guess the obvious questions are, what was the "culprit", and what specific settings did you use to fix the motion handling? I'm sure there are more than a few of us that would like to know.

THANKS!

Not at home to confirm, but I liked on a recent post mentioning reality creation. When I get back to my set I’ll take another look.

post #3238 of 4494 Old 12-07-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcab17 View Post
Hey folks, is anyone experiencing lip-sync problems with your 950G? I have a cable box, Roku Ultra, and BD player (all set to output Dolby Digital or higher audio) connected to my Samsung Q90R TV...and the TV is connected to a Q80R soundbar (ARC). All of these external sources (and someone else reported the same problem with their X Box) have bad lip-sync issues that can't be fixed with tv and soundbar sync adjustments.
I am trying to find out if this problem is specific to Samsung. I'm still in the return period, and the Sony 950G (65") would be my "go to" alternative. I just want to find out if any 950G owners, who have similar connections (an external source with DD audio connected to the TV, and the TV connected to a soundbar) have any lip-sync problems.
PLEASE...I don't have much time left to return the Samsung...
Thanks.
I jumped from Samsung to Sony due to the lack of earc. If I was you I wouldnt even think to stay with Samsung when you own a dolby atmos bar.
Have you update your soundbar firmware?
I had some lip sync issues in the 1st day ( I dont own a soundbar yet) from my cable box, but never again. I dont know why that happened but everything works ok now.
post #3239 of 4494 Old 12-07-2019, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
So I just took 2 more pictures.
One with FAD settings on high and on off.
Here are the results... I am pretty sure that this is not normal. Never so such thing on my previous Samsung Q7FN
Attachment 2650760
Attachment 2650762
No screen is 100% uniform, but that seems bad, even worse for the price of the tv. It's definitely a candidate for repair/replacement.

There's always the "massage" trick to fix black uniformity, but that's totally up to you. I'm not going to say how to do it or where to look for instructions.
post #3240 of 4494 Old 12-07-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
No screen is 100% uniform, but that seems bad, even worse for the price of the tv. It's definitely a candidate for repair/replacement.
There's always the "massage" trick to fix black uniformity, but that's totally up to you. I'm not going to say how to do it or where to look for instructions.
🙂 I have already tried that massage trick. In the beginning I couldn't believe that I was reading such a thing and that I was going to do it. But I can confirm that it does work. Well... kinda... at least for my situation. lower right corner and top left was much worse. It did make the things better but not as much as I want. I believe Sony will replace the tv. At least they informed me that they never replace panel, instead they are replacing the whole tv. 7 days doa passed. At least I have informed Sony from the 1st day for my issue so I believe I wont have any problem. We will see.
Thanks for your replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page