2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 112 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1646Likes

post #3331 of 4458 Old 12-11-2019, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginaldvs View Post
. I guess I'm just not that picky lol. I mean I have some issues like the Wi-Fi can detect the networks but it can't connect to it. It probably has something to do with my router or the Luminoodle bias lighting that I just installed because it was working the first week I had the TV. Doesn't really bother me though since my TV is plugged in to my router.

I have the same wi-fi problem (65 inch model). I also have it plugged in to the router...so meh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 4458 Old 12-11-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7025 Post(s)
Liked: 7049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginaldvs View Post
First post at AVS Forums. I've been lurking for awhile now but I thought it's finally time to create an account. But anyways, I got my 85" X950G about 3 weeks ago and TBH, I'm loving it. Of course it won't have "infinite" black levels like an OLED (upgrading from a LG B7A), but the black level to me is good enough for everyday use. I guess I'm just not that picky lol. I mean I have some issues like the Wi-Fi can detect the networks but it can't connect to it. It probably has something to do with my router or the Luminoodle bias lighting that I just installed because it was working the first week I had the TV. Doesn't really bother me though since my TV is plugged in to my router.
Well there is no such thing a 80"+ OLED as of yet....... 85" has a very nice size, price is right, and it has a great picture overall.
post #3333 of 4458 Old 12-11-2019, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Well there is no such thing a 80"+ OLED as of yet....... 85" has a very nice size, price is right, and it has a great picture overall.
Exactly my thought's hence I bought the 85" X950G. I was looking at the 77" C9 but I just can't justify spending more $$ than I should be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3334 of 4458 Old 12-11-2019, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Reading all these tv threads posts, i can't believe how many people are actually paying to get it professionally calibrated. And that's a few hundred $$? I would understand if you get some signature model super expensive oled that costs 5k and more calibrated, but lcd? Calibration costs 1/5 or even 1/4 of the price of x950g. And it doesn't magically transforms tv into something extra. What's there is there. You can just set the settings by yourself to what it suits for you. Calibrating the tv wont reduce motion problems, blooming and viewing angle. It will only make colours a bit better- which anyone can make it by themselves.
Bklynblaze likes this.
post #3335 of 4458 Old 12-11-2019, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes800 View Post
Reading all these tv threads posts, i can't believe how many people are actually paying to get it professionally calibrated. And that's a few hundred $$? I would understand if you get some signature model super expensive oled that costs 5k and more calibrated, but lcd? Calibration costs 1/5 or even 1/4 of the price of x950g. And it doesn't magically transforms tv into something extra. What's there is there. You can just set the settings by yourself to what it suits for you. Calibrating the tv wont reduce motion problems, blooming and viewing angle. It will only make colours a bit better- which anyone can make it by themselves.
If someone could professionally calibrate the motion on your TV and make it perfect, would you dish out the money for it?
post #3336 of 4458 Old 12-11-2019, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Unfortunately all the Sony UHD players that support DV have this same issue. The Panasonic UB820 auto-detects DV and has a good reputation but it is quite a bit more expensive than the x700.
So is there a cheaper alternative to the Panasonic then? Will future models of any brand be able to switch based on content?
I ask because between the sound issues I'm having with my sound bar and this Sony player not switching to DV, I'm either going to wait on 4K discs or just abandon it altogether. This is just too much crap just to watch a movie.

Last edited by Dellamorte13; 12-11-2019 at 03:34 PM.
post #3337 of 4458 Old 12-11-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees24 View Post
from rtings :

JUDDER SETTINGS
The Sony X950G is able to remove judder from all sources, but some additional settings are required for some content. For a native 24p signal, like from a Blu-ray player, no additional motion settings are required. To remove judder from external 60p/60i sources, like a cable box, or for the native apps, set motionflow to 'Custom,' set both the smoothness and clearness sliders to 'Min,' and set CineMotion to 'Auto.'
Those settings are worthless.. If I have the settings configured like that, the motion at its worst for me.
post #3338 of 4458 Old 12-11-2019, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
I'm getting both of my sets, C7 OLED and the 950G, professionally calibrated from a reputable calibrator this coming Monday. It's much less than 1/5th of the price I paid for both sets.

That being said, it's going to be my first time ever getting any of my TVs professionally calibrated, so I can't speak to whether or not it's worth it yet. But, I figure I have the means to pay for a peace of mind knowing that my TVs are maximized to their available specifications.
JFR0317 and Walddo like this.

LG OLED55C7P | Sony 75X950G | LG UP970 | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121
post #3339 of 4458 Old 12-11-2019, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellamorte13 View Post

I can’t do OLED because I tend to fall asleep (sometimes drunk)
Love the honesty!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Dellamorte13 likes this.
post #3340 of 4458 Old 12-11-2019, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
Quote:
from rtings :

JUDDER SETTINGS
The Sony X950G is able to remove judder from all sources, but some additional settings are required for some content. For a native 24p signal, like from a Blu-ray player, no additional motion settings are required. To remove judder from external 60p/60i sources, like a cable box, or for the native apps, set motionflow to 'Custom,' set both the smoothness and clearness sliders to 'Min,' and set CineMotion to 'Auto.'
Those settings are worthless.. If I have the settings configured like that, the motion at its worst for me.
You may have a defective tv. I see no judder on my set. (75 inch).

Why don’t you just return the tv and get a different brand ?
TheDuke1980 likes this.

Think before you speak....
post #3341 of 4458 Old 12-11-2019, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You may have a defective tv. I see no judder on my set. (75 inch).

Why don’t you just return the tv and get a different brand ?
Or, as I have stated before, I am one of those that are overly sensitive to judder issues. My 940D is quite good. Using the same settings on a 65" 900E was close with the occasional issue for me. Those same settings on this set and the image is still ok overall, but when I -DO- see motion issues, they are worse than they are on other sets.
post #3342 of 4458 Old 12-11-2019, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Will I be able to stream in Dolby Vision from my X Box One?
post #3343 of 4458 Old 12-11-2019, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
It is always 100% better to do your own settings. The only thing people ever really need professional help with is the white balance/getting whites to 6500k. Once you achieve 6500k white balance, the rest is cake. The 2 most important things to set on a TV first, is black/crush level and white balance. You kind of have to mess with per color adjustment to fix white balance. A calibrator will come over and calibrate for you, but will not be the one watching the TV for the next year or so. During this time, you learn a lot more about the TV and how to use it. This TV has many parameters and variable viewing options that, were probably not taken into consideration while calibration. That rhymed. Speaking of BFI, what does it do to the picture and how do you make up for the loss of brightness/contrast/gamma. You improvise. Since the contrast ratio is not as good on this set, you drop the black level down to 46-47 and rasie the gamma up one notch. This made a major difference to me, my blacks look way more solid and I no longer see noise in dark scenes. This is without major black crush. These are some of the things you learn through experience and that the professional calibrator never had. Lastly, your settings are never truly "Great", until they are great to YOUR eyes. Being the one to get them there, makes it mean a whole lot more.
post #3344 of 4458 Old 12-11-2019, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 5
How are you 75" and 85" owners finding the black levels and blooming control? I'm having to return my 77" A9G due to a dead ARC HDMI port, and Best buy in my area wouldn't be able to get me a new one until late January. I'd prefer to stick with Sony, which leaves my options an X950G or Z9G, and the latter is not my first choice for obvious reasons.

77" Sony A9G
Receiver: Onkyo 686, Center channel: Klipsch RP-404C, front speakers: Klipsch RP-8000F's, Surrounds: Klipsch RP-500M's, Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
Roku ultra, Xbox one X, PS4 PRO, Sony UBP-X800
post #3345 of 4458 Old 12-11-2019, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeisenbergABQ View Post
How are you 75" and 85" owners finding the black levels and blooming control? I'm having to return my 77" A9G due to a dead ARC HDMI port, and Best buy in my area wouldn't be able to get me a new one until late January. I'd prefer to stick with Sony, which leaves my options an X950G or Z9G, and the latter is not my first choice for obvious reasons.
I would pick OLED over LCD 100%, especially if money were not a factor and/or unless the the type of usage puts you at risk of burn-in. In my case, I went with this set because this would be in the family room where other people will watch on it, particularly my fiancee who tends to leave stuff paused for long periods of time.

I have a LG C7 OLED and that set clearly has the superior picture over my 75" 950g. That being said, I think the 950G still has excellent contrast ratio, while the blooming could be better...but I understand it's more a function/reality of local dimming, so I wasn't expecting it to be near perfect either. I can tell you, though, that this set really excels at shadow detail, which it actually has my OLED beat.

Last edited by PeeJHooK; 12-11-2019 at 07:05 PM.
post #3346 of 4458 Old 12-11-2019, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJHooK View Post
I would pick OLED over LCD 100%, especially if money were not a factor and/or unless the the type of usage puts you at risk of burn-in. In my case, I went with this set because this would be in the family room where other people will watch on it, particularly my fiancee who tends to leave stuff paused for long periods of time.

I have a LG C7 OLED and that set clearly has the superior picture over my 75" 950g. That being said, I think the 950G still has excellent contrast ratio, while the blooming could be better...but I understand it's more a function/reality of local dimming, so I wasn't expecting it to be near perfect either. I can tell you, though, that this set really excels at shadow detail, which it actually has my OLED beat.
I tried the 55" C9 in a fairly bright bedroom and it had a great picture in a darkened room, it didn't work too well in the daylight. I replaced it with the 55" 950g and it is a light cannon in comparison!
post #3347 of 4458 Old 12-11-2019, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman1000 View Post
I tried the 55" C9 in a fairly bright bedroom and it had a great picture in a darkened room, it didn't work too well in the daylight. I replaced it with the 55" 950g and it is a light cannon in comparison!
Yeah brightness is certainly one of the factors I considered too, since mine was going to be directly across from a window. But, I would still take contrast and superior black levels (with no black crush) over superior brightness and good contrast/black levels any day.

post #3348 of 4458 Old 12-12-2019, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencc3 View Post
It is always 100% better to do your own settings. The only thing people ever really need professional help with is the white balance/getting whites to 6500k. Once you achieve 6500k white balance, the rest is cake. The 2 most important things to set on a TV first, is black/crush level and white balance. You kind of have to mess with per color adjustment to fix white balance. A calibrator will come over and calibrate for you, but will not be the one watching the TV for the next year or so. During this time, you learn a lot more about the TV and how to use it. This TV has many parameters and variable viewing options that, were probably not taken into consideration while calibration. That rhymed. Speaking of BFI, what does it do to the picture and how do you make up for the loss of brightness/contrast/gamma. You improvise. Since the contrast ratio is not as good on this set, you drop the black level down to 46-47 and rasie the gamma up one notch. This made a major difference to me, my blacks look way more solid and I no longer see noise in dark scenes. This is without major black crush. These are some of the things you learn through experience and that the professional calibrator never had. Lastly, your settings are never truly "Great", until they are great to YOUR eyes. Being the one to get them there, makes it mean a whole lot more.
If you want to get contrast and black levels correct use this tutorial and video test patterns (they are basically jpeg pictures) :

https://calibracionhd.com/tv-calibra...fast-and-easy/

As for greyscale calibration i don't know if calibrators should charge so much money for calibrating that but i calibrated the whole greyscale just by eye and a video test pattern from that site and even though it is not 100% accurate because i can still see a faint green tint more noticebale in the brighter shades of grey , the picture is a million times better than with default expert 1 color temperature.

The more accurate you get the greyscale the more details you can see in the picture because until your screen is green........FRIKIN' GREEN you keep squinting with your eyes and can't see much even though at first look the picture may look amazing like it is from out of the box. After that i noticed that the brightness was way to high i had it set to 45 and thinking on moving on to 50(max) LOL, and it turns out Sony was right the correct brightness setting really is 7 or 8 altough to my eyes 7 seems to be the correct one more natural.

I might post a small tutorial for calibrating the greyscale with just you eyes and without any equipment after a while if anyone wants to know , but for now still need to do some experimentation to see if i can get to 100% accuracy or at least to be unable to see any colored tint over the screen without undersaturating the colors.
Servo086 and picturemaker like this.
post #3349 of 4458 Old 12-12-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videomirage View Post
If you want to get contrast and black levels correct use this tutorial and video test patterns (they are basically jpeg pictures) :

As for greyscale calibration i don't know if calibrators should charge so much money for calibrating that but i calibrated the whole greyscale just by eye and a video test pattern from that site and even though it is not 100% accurate because i can still see a faint green tint more noticebale in the brighter shades of grey , the picture is a million times better than with default expert 1 color temperature.

The more accurate you get the greyscale the more details you can see in the picture because until your screen is green........FRIKIN' GREEN you keep squinting with your eyes and can't see much even though at first look the picture may look amazing like it is from out of the box. After that i noticed that the brightness was way to high i had it set to 45 and thinking on moving on to 50(max) LOL, and it turns out Sony was right the correct brightness setting really is 7 or 8 altough to my eyes 7 seems to be the correct one more natural.

I might post a small tutorial for calibrating the greyscale with just you eyes and without any equipment after a while if anyone wants to know , but for now still need to do some experimentation to see if i can get to 100% accuracy or at least to be unable to see any colored tint over the screen without undersaturating the colors.
Calibration "by eye" leaves a ton of room for errors. Color blindness and other specific visual anomalies are going to result in a mis-calibrated picture. The correct way to calibrate is using sensing equipment and setting things to adhere to a specific standard for all color accuracy-related items.
post #3350 of 4458 Old 12-12-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Or, as I have stated before, I am one of those that are overly sensitive to judder issues. My 940D is quite good. Using the same settings on a 65" 900E was close with the occasional issue for me. Those same settings on this set and the image is still ok overall, but when I -DO- see motion issues, they are worse than they are on other sets.
There is no such thing as sensitive or overly sensitive to judder, stutter, choppy motion or low framerate and the blur that comes with that, there is just people who are desensitized to low framerate and bad motion because after a while whatching that horror show your brain just stops paying so much attention even though you are still feelling the discomfort and pain in you eyes.

Although to be honest we are all desensitized to motion because there is no better motion than real life and as long as you looking at a screen it will affect your eyesight. But yeah the higher the framerate the better weather it is interpolated or not maybe when we get 1000 Hz screens and frame rates we won't be able to notice much difference between video reproduction on a screen and looking through the window.
post #3351 of 4458 Old 12-12-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There is no such thing as sensitive or overly sensitive to judder, stutter, choppy motion or low framerate and the blur that comes with that, there is just people who are desensitized to low framerate and bad motion because after a while whatching that horror show your brain just stops paying so much attention even though you are still feelling the discomfort and pain in you eyes.

Although to be honest we are all desensitized to motion because there is no better motion than real life and as long as you looking at a screen it will affect your eyesight. But yeah the higher the framerate the better weather it is interpolated or not maybe when we get 1000 Hz screens and frame rates we won't be able to notice much difference between video reproduction on a screen and looking through the window.
Thanks for your completely unscientific view of things (and your inaccurate description all around).

Being "desensitized to motion" from real life would mean that everyone would see motion issues with televisions that display a frame of information very briefly before displaying a new one while real life is completely analog and nothing is an individual "frame" of information.

Additionally, the problem of those that are more sensitive to this issue is very well documented.
post #3352 of 4458 Old 12-12-2019, 08:05 AM

I know that already but if you don't have proffesional calibrators where you live and don't feel like paying so much money for expensive equipment than i'd rather go with "manual" calibration, and even though the gresycale may not be 100% accurate when i reset the color temperature settings the picture looks insanely GREEN, no wonder 'Expert 1" bothered my eyes so much. And "Neutral" may be easier on the eyes but you're missing some colors and everything looks like it was shot in the winter. So the settings i've got right now look way way better then the default which look like they are extremly way off d65 standard i mean IT'S GREEN how can reviwers even suggest that the picture is "pretty accurate".

As for color blindness or rather being desensitized to colors (the screen used to look yellow to me even though it's actually green) after going through the method i figured out the first time you go through it you are basically resensetizing your eyes if anything else at least you get that benefit so you can see just how bad the picture really is LOL.
picturemaker likes this.
post #3353 of 4458 Old 12-12-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your completely unscientific view of things (and your inaccurate description all around).

Being "desensitized to motion" from real life would mean that everyone would see motion issues with televisions that display a frame of information very briefly before displaying a new one while real life is completely analog and nothing is an individual "frame" of information.

Additionally, the problem of those that are more sensitive to this issue is very well documented.
Sorry i didn't mean it that literally like being able to see that some motion has frames and other to be continious i just meant as someone who has watched 24 fps for most of their life and then discovering that the low framerate has had so much effect on my eyesight (negatively) and finding out about video interpolation now the smoother motion i get on my screen the more i noticed the flaws of the motion and the more sensitive my eyes are to such things or maybe my eyes have always been sensitive i just didin't know what the problem was but i kind of doubt it i mean if you can go numb to something can't you get sensitive to it as well . Just my percived experience with my current level of perception and opinion based on that i don't mean to offend anyone and also blind faith in science is not a good thing new things are discovered every day something that was considered for a long time as true tommorow may be changed completely despite scientific testing because the whole picture is never so simple as to say this is how it is and that is it period (which ironically applies to my comment earlier LOL thanks for making me realise that).
post #3354 of 4458 Old 12-12-2019, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljceeb View Post
Will I be able to stream in Dolby Vision from my X Box One?
Bump on this
post #3355 of 4458 Old 12-12-2019, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeisenbergABQ View Post
Since no one answered you yet, I thought I ask you how much time you have to decide. I am getting an 85" soon. It has been shipped to my dealer a week ago but not sure exactly when it will be delivered to me. I could give my opinion. While I haven't done any side by side comparison, there are anecdotal evidences that the 75" and 85" are slightly better than the 65"--I am not talking about the wide angle layer. As I am getting a big one, I would like it to be true!
HeisenbergABQ likes this.
post #3356 of 4458 Old 12-12-2019, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji View Post
Since no one answered you yet, I thought I ask you how much time you have to decide. I am getting an 85" soon. It has been shipped to my dealer a week ago but not sure exactly when it will be delivered to me. I could give my opinion. While I haven't done any side by side comparison, there are anecdotal evidences that the 75" and 85" are slightly better than the 65"--I am not talking about the wide angle layer. As I am getting a big one, I would like it to be true!
I've got plenty of time to decide, I'd love to hear your opinion when you get it!

77" Sony A9G
Receiver: Onkyo 686, Center channel: Klipsch RP-404C, front speakers: Klipsch RP-8000F's, Surrounds: Klipsch RP-500M's, Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
Roku ultra, Xbox one X, PS4 PRO, Sony UBP-X800
post #3357 of 4458 Old 12-12-2019, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Bump on this
I don't have an XB1X, but I considered getting one a few months ago in time for the holiday sale. Based on what I gathered from my research, XB1X can play 4kUHD discs in HDR, but oddly enough, it can only stream Dolby Vision content.

post #3358 of 4458 Old 12-12-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Bump on this
Yes

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
post #3359 of 4458 Old 12-12-2019, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

Can you check the jpg I have attached to see how aggressive my black crush test is compared to yours? Also, are you using clearness at 1 and have you dropped your black level any? Using the jpg I attached, I am still able to see all numbers while using black level at 48 @ default gamma. However, this set does not really handle dark scenes well as there is too much noise/artifacts while viewing. This made me drop black level to 46 but increase gamma by 1. Also, I gave up on Expert color temperature and just used the rtings per color adjustments with warm temp but shifted hue to R2 and dropped G-Gain to -2. This got rid of the tints and my whites look pretty darn good. I feel that Expert1 temp is for experts/calibrators only.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brightness.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	2653104  
post #3360 of 4458 Old 12-12-2019, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Has anyone else still not gotten the update with HomeKit support?

Sony XBR75X950G

ATV 4K

Klipsch KG 3.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page