2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 141 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1744Likes

post #4201 of 5001 Old 01-09-2020, 01:12 PM
DB2
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Since this TV does a great job scaling I'm assuming I should be sending a 1080p signal to it from a Fire Stick when watching non-4k content, correct??

I don't see a setting in the Fire Stick where it will send native resolution to the display so wondering the best resolution to send.

Thanks

"I usually sit closer to 2 X screen width, or I look like a cat watching a ping pong tournament." -Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4202 of 5001 Old 01-09-2020, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I've heard over and over of the 950G and Sony in general having great upscaling capabilities. Any owners of the 950G use YouTube TV? Can u comment on the picture quality? Especially on the larger 75" and 85" sizes?
post #4203 of 5001 Old 01-09-2020, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxsledder View Post
I went to Best Buy today and they had a 65” 950 G playing a demo. It looked very nice but part of the demo went to a soccer game and it made me sick watching it. The motion handling was just weird and not at all comparable to my 940 D. Do you guys that own the set think this may have just been a setting that needed to be changed? If there’s no way to significantly improve upon what I saw I’ll have to pass.
Another one!!! Congratulations, you are of a rare breed who actually notices good motion handling when you see it. Sony has switched from MotionFlow 960 (940D) to X-Motion Clarity (950G). These two technologies work differently. The commoners in this thread are not be able to spot the difference. However, you are one of the select few who can spot the inferior motion. I would stay away from x-motion and stick with the sony TVs that use motionflow if you want what you are used to. Just some friendly advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4204 of 5001 Old 01-09-2020, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7301 Post(s)
Liked: 7333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbran23 View Post
I've heard over and over of the 950G and Sony in general having great upscaling capabilities. Any owners of the 950G use YouTube TV? Can u comment on the picture quality? Especially on the larger 75" and 85" sizes?
Every TV has to upscale to the native resolution, in this case the native resolution is 4K. Do not expect to much from any TV though as up scaling will not replace a program being filmed in 4K, transferred in 4K, and then displayed in 4K. If you start with a terrible feed do not expect much as it will still look terrible converted into 4K.

--On you tube there is a variety of content, the better the content, the better the 950G will look. So in the end the look will very.
lupi99 likes this.

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 01-09-2020 at 07:00 PM.
post #4205 of 5001 Old 01-09-2020, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Every TV has to upscale to the native resolution, in this case the native resolution is 4K. Do not expect to much from any TV though as up scaling will not replace a program being filmed in 4K, transferred in 4K, and then displayed in 4K. If you start with a terrible feed do not expect much as it will still look terrible converted into 4K.

--On you tube there is a verity of content, the better the content, the better the 950G will look. So in the end the look will very.
Agreed. That is my experience with YouTube tv - some shows look quite good, some look quite bad. The upscaling won’t make a bad source look good. On a side note, as I’ve mentioned previously, the upscaling is basically indistinguishable between built-in apps and Apple TV (to my eyes of course). I’ve tested quite a bit with YouTube tv in particular. I’m sure that will differ if you use a different media device.
post #4206 of 5001 Old 01-09-2020, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyW75 View Post
Well, this is quite interesting. It turns out that I was wrong on the previous page. I stated that the X950G and the X950H are using the same main board. This has turned out to actually not be the case. I was correct though that the X950G is using main board model number A-2229-109-A. However, the new X950H has an updated main board, which is model number A-5011-896-A. This is a new model which Sony has not had in their TVs before, and it fully supports the HDMI 2.1 specs. What is interesting though, is that the A-2229-109-A main that is in the X950G also is fully capable of supporting all of the HDMI 2.1 specs. There is no reason why Sony can't offer the update in the future to X950G owners which will unlock all of these features. I am curious to see what Sony will do here. I think that will be pretty ****ty on their part if they end up denying us all the update. On a related note, the X900F has a different main board in it. It is model number A-2197-252-A. This one is not capable of supporting any of the HDMI 2.1 specs.
This has already been extrapolated out to show exactly why Sony would be fooling TO provide the update in the 950G.

Can we stick to what we know and not wrapped around the axle on speculation of things to come? No one here owns this TV because of a promise for HDMI 2.1, so we don't need to keep beating the dead horse of whether or not it will ever see the light of day.
post #4207 of 5001 Old 01-09-2020, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Hi...

I purchased a Denon AVR-X1600H. I believe I set everything up on both the X950G and the receiver, but I am not able to get the receiver's interface on screen while I am using the TV (while using Android TV).

What did I set up incorrectly?

I connect the receiver (which has eARC) to HDMI 3 (also eARC) of the TV using a high speed cable. HDMI is set to enhanced on both the receiver and the TV.

Everything seems to work -- I get sound and I can control the receiver and an Apple TV 4k with the 950G remote. The image from the TV's apps and the Apple TV work fine (HDR and Dolby Vision) and the sound is great.

The only thing I can't seem to get going is the receiver menu's and the Denon user interface.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
post #4208 of 5001 Old 01-09-2020, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvergun View Post
Hi...

I purchased a Denon AVR-X1600H. I believe I set everything up on both the X950G and the receiver, but I am not able to get the receiver's interface on screen while I am using the TV (while using Android TV).

I connect the receiver (which has eARC) to HDMI 3 (also eARC) of the TV using a high speed cable. HDMI is set to enhanced on both the receiver and the TV.

Everything seems to work -- I get sound and I can control the receiver and an Apple TV 4k with the 950G remote. The image from the TV's apps and the Apple TV work fine (HDR and Dolby Vision) and the sound is great.

The only thing I can't seem to get going is the receiver menu's and the Denon user interface.

The settings? Or just the pop up volume ect? Switch the receiver to an input that's not the one for the tv. Should come up then

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
post #4209 of 5001 Old 01-09-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Barros View Post
The settings? Or just the pop up volume ect? Switch the receiver to an input that's not the one for the tv. Should come up then

The volume comes up (the TV's volume bar). It is the settings menu for the receiver that I cannot get to display. I thought the receiver would send that information to the TV. Perhaps I am mistaken and when you use the TV apps you don't get the receivers menu ( menu = where you can change surround settings and see speaker levels).
post #4210 of 5001 Old 01-09-2020, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Hi...

Quote:
The volume comes up (the TV's volume bar). It is the settings menu for the receiver that I cannot get to display. I thought the receiver would send that information to the TV. Perhaps I am mistaken and when you use the TV apps you don't get the receivers menu ( menu = where you can change surround settings and see speaker levels).

The only way you'll be able to see the AVR's OSD is when you switch the TV to HDMI 3 on the TV (since that's the input you connected it to). You will not be able to see the OSD on any other input other including built in apps or OTA stations.
post #4211 of 5001 Old 01-09-2020, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's correct. The tv is only sending audio back to the receiver. It will only display on screen for devices plugged into the receiver like a gaming console, DVD player ect

post #4212 of 5001 Old 01-09-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
The only way you'll be able to see the AVR's OSD is when you switch the TV to HDMI 3 on the TV (since that's the input you connected it to). You will not be able to see the OSD on any other input other including built in apps or OTA stations.

Quote:
That's correct. The tv is only sending audio back to the receiver. It will only display on screen for devices plugged into the receiver like a gaming console, DVD player ect

I see. Thank you both for the help.
post #4213 of 5001 Old 01-09-2020, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I got a general technical question: With respect to FALD, does blooming only technically occur when there are letterbox bars, or does it happen during full screens as well?

LG OLED55C7P | Sony 75X950G | LG UP970 | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121
post #4214 of 5001 Old 01-09-2020, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJHooK View Post
I got a general technical question: With respect to FALD, does blooming only technically occur when there are letterbox bars, or does it happen during full screens as well?
It can happen on full screen if there is a large black area and a bright area near that. Depending on the zone that controls the bright area--if that also has to control part of the black--you may see blooming. One of the examples of this is the dimming zone counter video.
PeeJHooK likes this.
post #4215 of 5001 Old 01-09-2020, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Hi...

Looks like you got your issue addressed.

I'm curious about your set up and how it's working.

I'm getting a 950g and am considering getting the 1600h, too. I'm interested to know how well your tv and AVR are working together.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
post #4216 of 5001 Old 01-09-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMak00 View Post
Looks like you got your issue addressed.

I'm curious about your set up and how it's working.

I'm getting a 950g and am considering getting the 1600h, too. I'm interested to know how well your tv and AVR are working together.

So far, so good. I watched a show on Netflix (half of it through the TV app and the other using an Apple TV 4k connected to receiver) -- the sound was great and the video behaved as expected (Dolby Vison worked perfectly). I did not get any sound cutouts, but I only listened for an hour or so. I spent another hour listening to music using the Apple TV. This receiver sounds so much better than my old Onkyo.

I will add a couple of height speakers this weekend and then I'll calibrate the receiver again. I'll let you know how things go (and how they sound) after setting everything up.
post #4217 of 5001 Old 01-09-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
So far, so good. I watched a show on Netflix (half of it through the TV app and the other using an Apple TV 4k connected to receiver) -- the sound was great and the video behaved as expected (Dolby Vison worked perfectly). I did not get any sound cutouts, but I only listened for an hour or so. I spent another hour listening to music using the Apple TV. This receiver sounds so much better than my old Onkyo.

I will add a couple of height speakers this weekend and then I'll calibrate the receiver again. I'll let you know how things go (and how they sound) after setting everything up.
I'm thinking of adding some front heights, too. I have a full set of the Andrew Jones gen 1 speakers - towers, center, and both sets of book shelfs. Thinking of using the smaller bs21s for the front heights speakers. Little worried about not much separation between the towers and those, but we'll see.

post #4218 of 5001 Old 01-09-2020, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Before I crash, had to post this.

Joker was delivered today and OMG. It's glorious. Best video I've seen yet on my 85" 950G. Also, first movie I've actually noticed it say Dolby Vision on the screen at start. I use an Oppo 205 as my player.

More tomorrow, but do yourselves a favor and pick this 4k version of the film up.

CC
shoman94, BFJ 96, PeeJHooK and 2 others like this.
post #4219 of 5001 Old 01-10-2020, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I bought GZ950 and it pisses all over XG9505 motion. Now I see why are some owners complaining this much. GZ950 has the best motion I have ever seen, it's unbelivable, what an amazing SOE, no artifacts, no judder, no sutter, no framerate drops, so little motion blur, it's nearly flawless. Sport is unbelivable on this TV, F1

While I was watching some F1 videos on youtube XG9505 had some big framerate skips even with motion flow turned off, while on GZ950 there were no such a problem with motion off or on at any setting. At first I thought maybe it's android causing this but I borrowed my brothers nvidia shield and XG9505 has the same framerate skips one xactly the same sport of the video via nvidia shield so it's a bad motion system causing this but why. Sony's processor is strong enaugh to handle this. Same story with XE, actually even worse,watching via Tv's android didnt try shield on it yet. G950 motion is so much better, it's a joke.

What I miss is on GZ950 is the fine sharpness of XG9505 in movies for sport GZ950 actually looks better. Sony's reality creation is just on another level compared to other TV's.

I also miss android and the app for brodcast TV which is not supported on GZ950 OS, I knew this before buying.

If GZ950 would have Sony's reality creation, Sonys remote (GZ950 remote is crap) and android or any other better OS it would be almost the perfect TV for me.

Maybe I should wait for new Sony A8 OLED but if the motion is the same as on XG9505 then I will miss GZ950 motion which is incredible.
post #4220 of 5001 Old 01-10-2020, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyform View Post
I bought GZ950 and it pisses all over XG9505 motion. Now I see why are some owners complaining this much. GZ950 has the best motion I have ever seen, it's unbelivable, what an amazing SOE, no artifacts, no judder, no sutter, no framerate drops, so little motion blur, it's nearly flawless. Sport is unbelivable on this TV, F1

While I was watching some F1 videos on youtube XG9505 had some big framerate skips even with motion flow turned off, while on GZ950 there were no such a problem with motion off or on at any setting. At first I thought maybe it's android causing this but I borrowed my brothers nvidia shield and XG9505 has the same framerate skips one xactly the same sport of the video via nvidia shield so it's a bad motion system causing this but why. Sony's processor is strong enaugh to handle this. Same story with XE, actually even worse,watching via Tv's android didnt try shield on it yet. G950 motion is so much better, it's a joke.

What I miss is on GZ950 is the fine sharpness of XG9505 in movies for sport GZ950 actually looks better. Sony's reality creation is just on another level compared to other TV's.

I also miss android and the app for brodcast TV which is not supported on GZ950 OS, I knew this before buying.

If GZ950 would have Sony's reality creation, Sonys remote (GZ950 remote is crap) and android or any other better OS it would be almost the perfect TV for me.

Maybe I should wait for new Sony A8 OLED but if the motion is the same as on XG9505 then I will miss GZ950 motion which is incredible.
You can't compare motion on an OLED to an LCD....I heard contrast pisses all over the Sony too

PeeJHooK likes this.
post #4221 of 5001 Old 01-10-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
You can't compare motion on an OLED to an LCD....I heard contrast pisses all over the Sony too

Why not, what has SOE effect to do with LED and OLED, you can't compare how clean is the picture and motion blur because it's different technology but why can't we compare film mode effect, that's just a processing which every brand uses different and Panasonic's it's amazing.
post #4222 of 5001 Old 01-10-2020, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Why not, what has SOE effect to do with LED and OLED, you can't compare how clean is the picture and motion blur because it's different technology but why can't we compare film mode effect, that's just a processing which every brand uses different and Panasonic's it's amazing.
Because it's a different tech. Motion is handled differently. SOE is SOE but OLED doesn't have blur, ghosting ect. That's like trying to compare plasma or CRT to today's TV's which had almost perfect motion handling

post #4223 of 5001 Old 01-10-2020, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxsledder View Post
I went to Best Buy today and they had a 65” 950 G playing a demo. It looked very nice but part of the demo went to a soccer game and it made me sick watching it. The motion handling was just weird and not at all comparable to my 940 D. Do you guys that own the set think this may have just been a setting that needed to be changed? If there’s no way to significantly improve upon what I saw I’ll have to pass.
I saw that soccer demo scene at BB on the Sony as well, and the salesman was quite proud of it, explaining "see that looks like 3D, like the players are jumping out of the screen" . I thought to myself that's interesting but I wouldn't want my TV to look like that all the time. So I wouldn't judge the TV based on that demo because I'm pretty sure they had all the enhancements like "reality creation" cranked up to the max.

I bought my 950G primarily for sports viewing and have no issues with the motion handling.

I saw some frame skipping via the TV's Fox Sports app but I think that's an app or Android thing. I flipped over to D* 4K channel 104 to watch the same NCAA BB game and it was smooth. Netflix via the TV app is smooth as well.
post #4224 of 5001 Old 01-10-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Because it's a different tech. Motion is handled differently. SOE is SOE but OLED doesn't have blur, ghosting ect. That's like trying to compare plasma or CRT to today's TV's which had almost perfect motion handling

Well that's what I said, it's not fair to compare blur because it's different tech but it's fair to compare SOE and SOE on XG9505 sucks. So I can expect better motion on the new Sony A8H OLED compared to XG9505, hopefully SOE aswell because I would really like to have something like a mix of XG950 and GZ950 and I think A8 could be this.
post #4225 of 5001 Old 01-10-2020, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well that's what I said, it's not fair to compare blur because it's different tech but it's fair to compare SOE and SOE on XG9505 sucks. So I can expect better motion on the new Sony A8H OLED compared to XG9505, hopefully SOE aswell because I would really like to have something like a mix of XG950 and GZ950 and I think A8 could be this.
Because OLED handles blur and everything else so well soe also looks good. Tv is the sum of it's parts. My qled has some motion issues. Turn on SOE and it looks awful. If I turn on a 4k 60hz content everything looks clean and clear even if I turn on SOE. Tvs now a days are meant to handle hi res high frame content. It's where they shine.

post #4226 of 5001 Old 01-10-2020, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaCat View Post
Before I crash, had to post this.

Joker was delivered today and OMG. It's glorious. Best video I've seen yet on my 85" 950G. Also, first movie I've actually noticed it say Dolby Vision on the screen at start. I use an Oppo 205 as my player.

More tomorrow, but do yourselves a favor and pick this 4k version of the film up.

CC

Quoting myself hoping to inspire some of you.

CC
post #4227 of 5001 Old 01-10-2020, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaCat View Post
Quoting myself hoping to inspire some of you.

CC
Are you an investor in the film? No need to pitch it twice within 8 posts on the same page. And if we're gonna talk about the film, Joaquin Phoenix's acting was brilliant, but the movie itself was blah.
post #4228 of 5001 Old 01-10-2020, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:

Do you notice any 24p micro-stutter on the GZ950? According to Vincent it appears mostly when there is smoke or fog. I know some users of the 2018 Panasonic OLEDs found it distracting but the 2019 models are suppose to be better.

Also I can see what you mean about missing sharpness and image detail versus the Sony's. I seen a Sony A8G, GZ1000, and A9G next to each other and I immediately noticed the Panasonic looked more fuzzy and was missing details that were present on the A8G/A9G. However the motion interpolation on the A8G was horrible with lots of artifacts, it was much better on the A9G, but the GZ1000 had the least amount of artifacts overall.

Apparently Sony is working on a new X-motion Clarity system for the 2020 OLED's so they should have fewer artifacts compared to the 2019 models.
post #4229 of 5001 Old 01-10-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke1980 View Post
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15430

These cables are all you need. Cheap and premium certified.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the suggestion. I've determined that these are not eARC cables, though and I think I want eARC cables for access to lossless audio when using the internal apps. I'll be purchasing a new AVR that is al eARC compatible.
post #4230 of 5001 Old 01-10-2020, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I have a X950G. Since I got the TV, I configured the smoothness of motion flow to 2 and it was VERY effective. No soap opera effect and always engaging and disengaging at the right moment so it’s not perceivable.

The X1 Extreme processor was doing such a great job vs my other TVs.

Now since update 9, it’s not as effective. It engage and disengage at the wrong moment so you have this feeling of stuttering every few seconds, it’s very distracting.

Anyone saw this ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolby atmos , sony 950g 85" , x95g

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page