2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 143 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1742Likes

post #4261 of 4986 Old 01-12-2020, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMak00 View Post
Is the VESA mounting on the back of the 950G dead-center or it high or low?
My 65" is pretty high compared to other TVs I've had.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200112_153325_1578864992136.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	2668872  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4262 of 4986 Old 01-12-2020, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1546 Post(s)
Liked: 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Larsen View Post
So I am going to be buying a new TV in the next few weeks/months, depending on the deals I can find. I currently have a Panasonic 50" S60 plasma. I'm thinking about the 65" X950g or maybe even the X900f. But since this is the X950g thread we can focus on that. I am curious if anyone has come from a plasma and if they are missing the contrast levels of their old plasma? I've also thought about going OLED but then I'd have to step down to 55" due to budget.

My biggest worries with this tv would be blooming and contrast/black levels.

My main use would be streaming hd/uhd content from Netflix and Hulu. I also have a PS4 pro that gets used every now and then. We sit about 8.5ft away and the room can be bright during the day if the blinds are open but the windows are behind the TV so no direct sunlight on the tv.
Just buy from a place that has a return policy. Once you get used to emissive displays it’s hard to get away from them. Doesn’t mean this TV may not work out but a lot of times you do miss those blacks, contrast, lack of blooming, etc.

there may be other models that would be a smoother transition to LCD than the 950G. Many reviews of the set call out the disappointing contrast numbers which you may notice. At least research it more.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #4263 of 4986 Old 01-12-2020, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've had my ups and downs with the 65x950g but lately all seems to be working well with a few hiccups "sound issues" sporadically. One thing Ive recently experimented with was to get dead on with the viewing angle and I believe I've gotten as close as possible. With doing this the picture has improved immensely. I now see very little blooming and blacks are deep. Color seems to be improved as well. I did this very unscientifically and just by the seat of my pants by launching videos, viewing the native contrast screen while they were loading and adjust the tilt/swivel of my vesa mount until the native contrast was as black as possible. When I intially mounted the TV I thought I was dead on but it seems it was far enough off that by doing this method improved things greatly. Try it, its free! Question though. What is the easiest way to view a native blank screen?

Last edited by Expy; 01-12-2020 at 01:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4264 of 4986 Old 01-12-2020, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7279 Post(s)
Liked: 7314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellamorte13 View Post
While researching X Wide Angle tech, I've seen a lot of people talk about how it reduces black level and contrast.

Even while speaking to a very knowledgeable Best Buy rep, he was trying to sway be back to the 55" 950g I was debating on returning in favor of the 55" 950h. The only reason I'm considering returning the G for the upcoming H is the X Wide Angle technology.
Well new units will not be out till late March. They you have to wait to make sure they did not create any new drawbacks. In other words the new model might not be as good, it better be though
Dellamorte13 likes this.
post #4265 of 4986 Old 01-12-2020, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Quote:
While researching X Wide Angle tech, I've seen a lot of people talk about how it reduces black level and contrast.

Even while speaking to a very knowledgeable Best Buy rep, he was trying to sway be back to the 55" 950g I was debating on returning in favor of the 55" 950h. The only reason I'm considering returning the G for the upcoming H is the X Wide Angle technology.
Well new units will not be out till late March. They you have to wait to make sure they did not create any new drawbacks. In other words the new model might not be as good, it better be though [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
As long as I can still get a 950G if the H sucks.
post #4266 of 4986 Old 01-12-2020, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
I have the 75" with the wide angle. I had a Quantum X without it. Definitely makes a positive difference with it. I would not want a TV without it. And I sit looking straight on.

I don't feel the loss of contrast is significant. Much larger loss of contrast going from OLED to LCD.
I am debating between 85x950G and 77C9. The latter is like a grand more expensive, but man the infinite contrast is a killer. This is for my bedroom so 80%+ dark room watching.

My current TV is a 65x900E - it was a shocker that the next gen (x900F) and next-next gen (x950G) both have LOWER contrast! Why, just why. It feels odd to buy the newest TV and experience lower contrast... I did read the reviews (about the X-wide layer reducing contrast in the 75/85" displays) but I also visited BB and could immediately see the drop in contrast ratio compared to my 900E. They also had a 85" 900F right there and I could tell the difference. Clearly, 65x900E > 85x900F > 85x950G.

Anyone with 900E vs. 75/85" 950G comparison experience, appreciate your responses...

Is OLED the only choice I am left with at this point? (Samsung is out of the list due to lack of Dolby Vision) Not that I am against it, but the cost + such a fragile piece of glass worries me.
post #4267 of 4986 Old 01-13-2020, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Motion frame rate & opinions

I’ve owned a x950g for 7 months. It had the most stunning picture among all the TV’s at Best Buy at it’s price point.

Every few months I look at the newer posts here and have to laugh at the negative comments about this Sony. If you simply leave the x950 basic settings alone the Sony looks spectacular. I’ve owned Sharp and Samsung LCD’s and made various settings adjustments to improve the picture quality. I read numerous settings lists posted on forums to try to improve the picture quality. Some looked good and others surprised me that they could even look at a TV with those settings. With all the comments here concerning motion settings and other adjustments that are usually best done by a trained technician with the right equipment, I’m not surprised that pictures look terrible. If you want to access sub menus without the proper codes, you likely will not be happy with the results. Many good calibration technicians are certified by the Imagining Science Foundation

Yes
wk1947 likes this.
post #4268 of 4986 Old 01-13-2020, 04:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
I'm hopeful the 950H will have more dimming zones but from last few minutes of this video from CES, it doesn't sound like it will though. It sounds like they only added 3 things to the 950G - The X Wide to the smaller models, the backlight remote and whatever that new sound crap is. Watching the last few minutes of this video kind of seems to confirm that.

https://youtu.be/c0ZriwiNJuI

In regards to the viewing angle and how washed out it is, it looks as bad as 2010 1080p. Other than that and some bad blooming, it's beautiful

It won't, if it would he would have mentioned in the video you posted. Looks like x-wide viewing angle is the only change in PQ for 55" and 65", the rest seems to be the same. I think it will be X950G with new and improved features, new look for menu, new design and new android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Just buy from a place that has a return policy. Once you get used to emissive displays it’s hard to get away from them. Doesn’t mean this TV may not work out but a lot of times you do miss those blacks, contrast, lack of blooming, etc.

there may be other models that would be a smoother transition to LCD than the 950G. Many reviews of the set call out the disappointing contrast numbers which you may notice. At least research it more.

X950G disappointing, lol, there is basically no better LED TV on the market except for Z9F. I have both X950G and Panasonic GZ950 OLED which is praised as one of the best OLEDs and X950G holds impressively well against it, at times there is no difference between them and for worse content and older movies from early 2000 the X950G is actually better, piture looks nicer on it.

Last edited by skyform; 01-13-2020 at 04:34 AM.
post #4269 of 4986 Old 01-13-2020, 05:18 AM

I just checked my local Best Buy's stock and they only have one 950G 55" left. With the H being released sometime in March, do you think they'll still stock the G? I'd like to still have the option to get the G if the H really sucks.
post #4270 of 4986 Old 01-13-2020, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1697 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
I just checked my local Best Buy's stock and they only have one 950G 55" left. With the H being released sometime in March, do you think they'll still stock the G? I'd like to still have the option to get the G if the H really sucks.
Local best buy stores don't seem to stock many X950Gs for some reason. Plenty of lower models and a ton of Samsung TVs.

You can get them shipped to you though and I bet they will be available at least until the H models are out.
Dellamorte13 likes this.
post #4271 of 4986 Old 01-13-2020, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyform View Post
X950G disappointing, lol, there is basically no better LED TV on the market except for Z9F. I have both X950G and Panasonic GZ950 OLED which is praised as one of the best OLEDs and X950G holds impressively well against it, at times there is no difference between them and for worse content and older movies from early 2000 the X950G is actually better, piture looks nicer on it.

Im just going by the measured contrast numbers that are posted at RTINGS and elsewhere. Because of the X-wide feature some reviews feel that the contrast suffers(measurements show that it does). Thats not a good thing if true since Contrast is king with Picture quality. Im not saying its a bad TV, not at all, just saying that someone coming from an emmissive display might find it lacking in that key blacks/contrast department. Especially when the lights are off which is where LCDs have their toughest tests.

I find it hard to believe that a top OLED and the Sony show no difference. Maybe during the day with sports where pretty much all Tvs are decent. But at night? Dark room? If you feel that way then thats cool.

Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #4272 of 4986 Old 01-13-2020, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Is it true that the 75 and 85 inch versions have 60 local dimming zones? I have the 55 inch x950g and 60 zones is already barely enough.
post #4273 of 4986 Old 01-13-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Im just going by the measured contrast numbers that are posted at RTINGS and elsewhere. Because of the X-wide feature some reviews feel that the contrast suffers(measurements show that it does). Thats not a good thing if true since Contrast is king with Picture quality. Im not saying its a bad TV, not at all, just saying that someone coming from an emmissive display might find it lacking in that key blacks/contrast department. Especially when the lights are off which is where LCDs have their toughest tests.

I find it hard to believe that a top OLED and the Sony show no difference. Maybe during the day with sports where pretty much all Tvs are decent. But at night? Dark room? If you feel that way then thats cool.

The difference is much smaller then I expected even in a complete dark room. I don't get a wow effect compared to X950G. When I came from VA and IPS to VA with FALD I was like wow, but from FALD to OLED, it's very small, no wow factor at all, X950G is just a bit greyer in some scenes that's it otherwise they are so similar, even the upscaling, colours everything is so similar almost like looking at the same brands, no wonder Sony and Panasonic are both known to have the most natural and best calibrated picture, thats why they are so similar. The biggest difference is in sharpness and motion system. Sony has a bit finer sharpness which is great for 1080p, shows more small details like in close ups or stuff in the background, while Panasonic has a better motion, sharper cleaner picture while moving.

Of course there is difference in contrast but it's not like wow look at that, like a lot of people are saying or reviewers giving bad reviews to X950G. I'm really baffled by some reviews of X950G. If a GZ950 gets a 9/10, X950G should get at least 8/10 if not 8,5 because its doing true wonders for old LED technology.

Last edited by skyform; 01-13-2020 at 12:09 PM.
post #4274 of 4986 Old 01-13-2020, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:

Test pattern measurements and real world use are different. Its a shame people put so much emphasis on the web review test patterns specs Vs actually viewing the TV in real use.
post #4275 of 4986 Old 01-13-2020, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjonathan0 View Post
I’ve owned a x950g for 7 months. It had the most stunning picture among all the TV’s at Best Buy at it’s price point.

Every few months I look at the newer posts here and have to laugh at the negative comments about this Sony. If you simply leave the x950 basic settings alone the Sony looks spectacular.
Totally agree with this! People really need to see this TV in person and make their own decisions. It's a great unit and the picture it delivers with a good quality 4K source is just stunning!
Panson and dshinman like this.
post #4276 of 4986 Old 01-13-2020, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The difference is much smaller then I expected even in a complete dark room. I don't get a wow effect compared to X950G. When I came from VA and IPS to VA with FALD I was like wow, but from FALD to OLED, it's very small, no wow factor at all, X950G is just a bit greyer in some scenes that's it otherwise they are so similar, even the upscaling, colours everything is so similar almost like looking at the same brands, no wonder Sony and Panasonic are both known to have the most natural and best calibrated picture, thats why they are so similar. The difference is the biggest in their sharpnes and motion system. Sony has a bit finer sharpness which is great for 1080p, shows more small details like in closeups or stuff in the background, while Panasonic has a better motion, sharper cleaner picture while moving.

Of course there is difference in contrast but it's not like wow look at that, like a lot of people are saying or reviewers giving bad reviews to X950G. I'm really baffled by some reviews of X950G. If a GZ950 gets a 9/10, X950G should get at least 8/10 if not 8,5 because its doing true wonders for old LED technology.

Well, thats cool. Im glad you enjoy the set and its performance is that good. I guess it bodes well for the tech since for a while there it seemed like LCDs would always be the second-tier choice for dark room movie watchers. if thats no longer the case then great. It means when I get itchy for a larger set that perhaps I CAN include some of the top LCDs on my shopping list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
Test pattern measurements and real world use are different. Its a shame people put so much emphasis on the web review test patterns specs Vs actually viewing the TV in real use.

Oh I know - but lots of time the math doesnt lie. Lower contrast numbers often do result in worse looking images on a TV screen. if Sony is able to get around this then thats great.

Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #4277 of 4986 Old 01-13-2020, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Well, thats cool. Im glad you enjoy the set and its performance is that good. I guess it bodes well for the tech since for a while there it seemed like LCDs would always be the second-tier choice for dark room movie watchers. if thats no longer the case then great. It means when I get itchy for a larger set that perhaps I CAN include some of the top LCDs on my shopping list.

Oh I know - but lots of time the math doesnt lie. Lower contrast numbers often do result in worse looking images on a TV screen. if Sony is able to get around this then thats great.
FWIW, my previous TV was a 65 Z9D, so I have a good comparison set. After I moved I needed a bigger TV and wanted a 75. I read the various reviews on it and saw the numbers. Then I spent some time at BB looking at it. I didnt see what the issue was. I have had it for a few mo now. It does have a bit more blooming than the Z9D, but nothing terrible. Black levels are fine. There are many things I like better about the set as compared to the Z9D.
RoadLizard likes this.
post #4278 of 4986 Old 01-13-2020, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Odds are by the time the H is available, the G will be slim pickings. Feeling lucky?

Brian
post #4279 of 4986 Old 01-13-2020, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Which is why I'm going to have to do this song and dance of returning the G and waiting for the H with the X Wide Angle tech on the 55" model. I like everything else about the TV, which is why it's kinda hard to let it go. I just didn't think it would be this bad. I figured almost 10 years had past since I bought a TV and that the tech would be better by now.
Quote:
As long as I can still get a 950G if the H sucks.
So, the 950G is great, except for the viewing angles and it has to go in favor of the H. But, if the H "sucks", then all of a sudden the 950G is perfectly acceptable?

It seems to me that you need to sit yourself down and figure out exactly what your minimum requirements are and go from there. You are All. Over. The. Map.

This TV is either acceptable or it isn't. Period. Exclamation point. End of story.

What you're doing is expressing a sort of "buyer's remorse" because you didn't get the absolutely latest tech. If that's your game (chasing technology), then you will NEVER be satisfied.

The brutally honest truth here is that you need to do a little "soul searching" and come to terms with a decision.
hodgjy and Sillyrabbit21 like this.
post #4280 of 4986 Old 01-13-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
So, the 950G is great, except for the viewing angles and it has to go in favor of the H. But, if the H "sucks", then all of a sudden the 950G is perfectly acceptable?

It seems to me that you need to sit yourself down and figure out exactly what your minimum requirements are and go from there. You are All. Over. The. Map.

This TV is either acceptable or it isn't. Period. Exclamation point. End of story.

What you're doing is expressing a sort of "buyer's remorse" because you didn't get the absolutely latest tech. If that's your game (chasing technology), then you will NEVER be satisfied.

The brutally honest truth here is that you need to do a little "soul searching" and come to terms with a decision.
You're 100% correct. I am all over the map and this TV is driving me nuts...not because I want the best technology but because it's something I'm going to have to live with for almost 10 years. I really wish all sizes of the G came with x wide angle so I wouldn't have to debate if returning it for the H is worth it. To me, the only difference between the G and the upcoming H that I care about is the X Wide Angle, but everyone tells me the contrast takes a hit and that sucks because the G has amazing contrast, buy piss poor viewing angles.

Digitaltrends mentions that the contrast only takes a slight hit with the X Wide Angle and that the black levels are still not as bad as IPS panels

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dig...-review/%3famp
PeeJHooK likes this.
post #4281 of 4986 Old 01-13-2020, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
You're 100% correct. I am all over the map and this TV is driving me nuts...not because I want the best technology but because it's something I'm going to have to live with for almost 10 years. I really wish all sizes of the G came with x wide angle so I wouldn't have to debate if returning it for the H is worth it. To me, the only difference between the G and the upcoming H that I care about is the X Wide Angle, but everyone tells me the contrast takes a hit and that sucks because the G has amazing contrast, buy piss poor viewing angles.

Digitaltrends mentions that the contrast only takes a slight hit with the X Wide Angle and that the black levels are still not as bad as IPS panels

I think that's wishful thinking. TV's of today will likely not last anywhere near that long. Additionally, as advancement continues and prices drop, you'll be much more likely to replace the set much earlier.

I still say that you have to stop reading reviews and come to terms with minimum requirements. This TV either meets them or it doesn't. Period. Stop comparing to reviews, future sets, other features, etc. Minimum requirements. That's it.
Dellamorte13 likes this.
post #4282 of 4986 Old 01-13-2020, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My 75x950g resides in a dark room in the basement. If there are any contrast issues, I’m not seeing them. Viewing angles are excellent.

Screen uniformity is absolutely great. No DSE at all.

Very satisfied with this unit.

Last edited by seadragon; 01-13-2020 at 01:05 PM.
post #4283 of 4986 Old 01-13-2020, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
The difference is much smaller then I expected even in a complete dark room. I don't get a wow effect compared to X950G. When I came from VA and IPS to VA with FALD I was like wow, but from FALD to OLED, it's very small, no wow factor at all, X950G is just a bit greyer in some scenes that's it otherwise they are so similar, even the upscaling, colours everything is so similar almost like looking at the same brands, no wonder Sony and Panasonic are both known to have the most natural and best calibrated picture, thats why they are so similar. The difference is the biggest in their sharpnes and motion system. Sony has a bit finer sharpness which is great for 1080p, shows more small details like in closeups or stuff in the background, while Panasonic has a better motion, sharper cleaner picture while moving.

I had a similar feeling when comparing the X950G/X900F and LG C8/LG C9/Sony A8G. I went through many tv's comparing them side by side for days to try and get the best one, I also compared the GZ1000 to the A8G as mentioned in my earlier post. I understand everyone thinks OLED is amazing, but I've found that this greatly depends on the scene and the content being displayed. Obviously in dark scenes where ABL is not a factor the OLED can look amazing, however on the A8G you have to deal with near-black chrominance overshoot, and on the LG a slight amount of black crush due to their dithering approach used to the fix near-black chrominance overshoot issue. Thankfully Panasonic figured out this issue so it isn't a factor. However all of them will exhibit vertical banding which can become quite distracting.

With bright scene's in HDR/DV it's obvious that LED has the advantage. I first noticed this on an HDR demo showing a sunset, the sun looked bright yellow and vibrant on the LED's, and a dull orange color on the OLED's. Naturally the LED's gave a much more compelling and realistic representation for full-field bright scenes with brighter highlights and higher APL. The APL on OLED can get so low that it crushes darker details during daytime viewing in a brighter room. Of course one could alleviated this by increasing the brightness, but this causes other issues like an increased risk of burn-in and colors becoming desatured due to the WRGB pixel structure of the OLED.

And I know some people find DSE, uneven back-lighting, and clouding distracting on LED's. but I found color tinting, vertical banding, and macro-blocking/black crush even more distracting on OLED (not applicable to Panasonic OLED's). In the end I settled on a 65" X900F with bias lighting which looks very similar to the A8G OLED for half the cost. I'm going to keep it and save up for a microLED once they become affordable.
skyform likes this.
post #4284 of 4986 Old 01-13-2020, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm so torn between the 75 and 85" version of this set. Darn 85" is 2x the price of the 75" one. I am still using my trusted 60" Pioneer Kuro that I've had for over 10 years and it just won't die! It still looks fabulous, but I wish it was larger now.
post #4285 of 4986 Old 01-13-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killmassacre View Post
I had a similar feeling when comparing the X950G/X900F and LG C8/LG C9/Sony A8G. I went through many tv's comparing them side by side for days to try and get the best one, I also compared the GZ1000 to the A8G as mentioned in my earlier post. I understand everyone thinks OLED is amazing, but I've found that this greatly depends on the scene and the content being displayed. Obviously in dark scenes where ABL is not a factor the OLED can look amazing, however on the A8G you have to deal with near-black chrominance overshoot, and on the LG a slight amount of black crush due to their dithering approach used to the fix near-black chrominance overshoot issue. Thankfully Panasonic figured out this issue so it isn't a factor. However all of them will exhibit vertical banding which can become quite distracting.

With bright scene's in HDR/DV it's obvious that LED has the advantage. I first noticed this on an HDR demo showing a sunset, the sun looked bright yellow and vibrant on the LED's, and a dull orange color on the OLED's. Naturally the LED's gave a much more compelling and realistic representation for full-field bright scenes with brighter highlights and higher APL. The APL on OLED can get so low that it crushes darker details during daytime viewing in a brighter room. Of course one could alleviated this by increasing the brightness, but this causes other issues like an increased risk of burn-in and colors becoming desatured due to the WRGB pixel structure of the OLED.

And I know some people find DSE, uneven back-lighting, and clouding distracting on LED's. but I found color tinting, vertical banding, and macro-blocking/black crush even more distracting on OLED (not applicable to Panasonic OLED's). In the end I settled on a 65" X900F with bias lighting which looks very similar to the A8G OLED for half the cost. I'm going to keep it and save up for a microLED once they become affordable.

Well said, couldn't agree more, it really depends on the content you are watching and the scene. It's not like OLED is better in everything, not even close. Btw how does A8G compare to GZ1000 and X950G. I'm interested in the new A8H which could be a mix of X950G and GZ950 but if Sony has a too strong black crush, near-black chrominance overshoot issue and has a too dark picture overall, especially in HDR and DV then it's a no go for me. GZ950 has almost identical sometimes a little better shadow detail as X950G in all content which I was really surprised by as most OLED's have worse shadow detail and HDR and DV can be almost as bright.

I just can't get along with GZ950 OS and bad remote, it's killing me while I love android, setting menus and remote on X950G. If A8H could match the picture of GZ950 that would be awesome but I don't think it will, Panasonic is clearly ahead compared to other brands in OLED's, no black crush or problems with blacks at all, no banding, my panel is really clean and really good HDR and DV which is bright enaugh.
post #4286 of 4986 Old 01-13-2020, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Larsen View Post
So I am going to be buying a new TV in the next few weeks/months, depending on the deals I can find. I currently have a Panasonic 50" S60 plasma. I'm thinking about the 65" X950g or maybe even the X900f. But since this is the X950g thread we can focus on that. I am curious if anyone has come from a plasma and if they are missing the contrast levels of their old plasma? I've also thought about going OLED but then I'd have to step down to 55" due to budget.

My biggest worries with this tv would be blooming and contrast/black levels.

My main use would be streaming hd/uhd content from Netflix and Hulu. I also have a PS4 pro that gets used every now and then. We sit about 8.5ft away and the room can be bright during the day if the blinds are open but the windows are behind the TV so no direct sunlight on the tv.

Few weeks ago I went from a 6 year old 65" Panasonic Plasma to an 85" 950G. I only miss the plasma when watching TV, but even that "missing" is lessened every day. I don't understand the complaints to be honest. The contrast is excellent and darks are very dark. I see none of the issues some raise on this board except for occasional sound drop outs which do drive me nuts and will hopefully be fixed in a future update, although who knows? I'm talking a second dropout every 20 minutes or so. I don't use the TV apps as I prefer to use a 4K firestick and have that plugged in to my Oppo 205, so drop outs can't happen when using any of my apps or watching movies via Oppo.

Love the TV and strongly suggest you go for as large a one as you can afford. With 4K, viewing distance requirements are even less and finally with the 85" (watch 10-14 feet away), I feel like we have a mini movie theater in our living room. 4K content looks awesome.

CC
post #4287 of 4986 Old 01-13-2020, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

Get a swivel mount and aim the tv at your watching position. I do this with my 900F. Works great. I also sit off center because I'm like Sheldon Cooper and have my spot on the couch.
Dellamorte13 likes this.
post #4288 of 4986 Old 01-13-2020, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxsledder View Post
How was motion on yours watching football? I’m seriously considering buying the 85” but there’s some guys on here not happy with motion especially for gaming and sports.
I have the 85", and love it for movies, gaming, and sports. Don't see what the fuss is about.
ChinaCat likes this.
post #4289 of 4986 Old 01-13-2020, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Well said, couldn't agree more, it really depends on the content you are watching and the scene. It's not like OLED is better in everything, not even close. Btw how does A8G compare to GZ1000 and X950G. I'm interested in the new A8H which could be a mix of X950G and GZ950 but if Sony has a too strong black crush, near-black chrominance overshoot issue and has a too dark picture overall, especially in HDR and DV then it's a no go for me. GZ950 has almost identical sometimes a little better shadow detail as X950G in all content which I was really surprised by as most OLED's have worse shadow detail and HDR and DV can be almost as bright.

I just can't get along with GZ950 OS and bad remote, it's killing me while I love android, setting menus and remote on X950G. If A8H could match the picture of GZ950 that would be awesome but I don't think it will, Panasonic is clearly ahead compared to other brands in OLED's, no black crush or problems with blacks at all, no banding, my panel is really clean and really good HDR and DV which is bright enaugh.
For a comparison between the A9G and GZ950 watch this from HDTVtest:

The A8G is almost identical to the A9G, it just has the X1 Extreme instead of X1 ultimate, has darker DV, and it has a slightly lower color volume. In person they look identical, however the A9G has better motion interpolation. When I compared the A8G and GZ1000, I noticed that the Panasonic had more saturated colors that looked more accurate to my eye, however the picture was more fuzzy and had less detail than the A8G. The Panasonic had better motion interpolation of course, and it's near black performance was much better. The GZ1000 was also much brighter in both HDR and DV. But even though the Sony was much dimmer, it seemed to have slightly better image processing and tone mapping which almost made up for the dimmer picture.

I think for overall PQ the Panasonic would win for most people, however I personally preferred the image processing on the Sony slightly more. Be warned though, the A8G is the dimmest OLED I've ever seen, and DV is almost unwatchable unless your in a completely dark room.

Compared to X950G, the A8G was about half as bright, had a much slower user interface, but was otherwise somewhat similar. Motion handling without interpolation was better on the A8G, however the overall image processing was better on the X950G due to it's X1 Ultimate chip. The X950G seemed to have a sharper more detailed image, with more natural looking colors. In a brighter room the X950G looks much better than the A8G, but in a dark room the A8G looks slightly better overall imo. Although once I lowered the brightness on the X950G and added bias lighting, it was tough to decide a winner between the two in a dark room. Blooming on the X950G was certainly very distracting, but so was the near-black chrominance overshoot and ABL on the A8G (especially so since it's already dim to begin with).

I think the A8H will close the gap in motion interpolation between the Panasonic OLEDs, but I don't think they'll have a proper solution to the near-black chrominance overshoot issue. It will also probably still be dimmer than your GZ950, and unless they add additional hardware to process DV like Panasonic and LG it will still have mediocre DV performance.
skyform likes this.

Last edited by Killmassacre; 01-13-2020 at 02:50 PM.
post #4290 of 4986 Old 01-13-2020, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Well, so very disappointed. My Greentoe delivery arrived today in horrible condition. Refused the order without even taking it off the truck. The box was horribly mangled and, in fact, I could reach inside the shipping carton, into the product box, and actually touch the tv.

https://imgur.com/HHEwAA5

https://imgur.com/1FGNHT7

Lesson learned. Now to figure out if I go to a local tv store or best Buy tonight to get one new and get it home myself.

Best Buy has 14-day return window and no restocking fee; Local TV store has 30-day return window, but if opened I get store credit only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolby atmos , sony 950g 85" , x95g

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page