2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 154 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2191Likes

post #4591 of 6210 Old 02-03-2020, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I'm interested in purchasing bias lighting for my 75x950g. Has the USB power cycling issue been resolved? I'd like to buy a bias lighting kit that can plug into the TV USB for power.

If the issue still remains, can I usually plug these kits into the wall?

And I'd love some suggestions.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 6210 Old 02-03-2020, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMak00 View Post
I'm interested in purchasing bias lighting for my 75x950g. Has the USB power cycling issue been resolved? I'd like to buy a bias lighting kit that can plug into the TV USB for power.

What you are referring to is not a "problem" as it's designed to work the way that it does. So, it likely isn't ever going to get "fixed". The solution is to plug the TV into a power-saving power strip in the Master position and plug your bias lighting into a Slave position. I've had mine set up like this for close to two years and it works perfectly.
post #4593 of 6210 Old 02-03-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
What you are referring to is not a "problem" as it's designed to work the way that it does. So, it likely isn't ever going to get "fixed". The solution is to plug the TV into a power-saving power strip in the Master position and plug your bias lighting into a Slave position. I've had mine set up like this for close to two years and it works perfectly.
What power strip do you have? And that would solve a second problem for me as I was looking for an outlet with surge protection (I have a whole house thing at the panel), but no luck finding one.

I also though about an outlet with USB inputs and just plugging bias lights into that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4594 of 6210 Old 02-03-2020, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello, I am having a 75x950G delivered from Beat Buy on Thursday. This is to replace my Lg Oled 65e6p with bad burn in. Luckily I purchased the expensive repair or replace 5 year warranty so I have no out of pocket expense. I have had 4 Sonys in the past starting with the 40xbr1 and had good experiences. I have gone through all of the postings in this forum looking for recommended settings and have several to try if I want. one thing I noticed is a lot of posts concerning motion. I know in the past the norm was to turn off everything that would introduce anything artificial. Is that not the case anymore?
post #4595 of 6210 Old 02-03-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wk1947 View Post
Hello, I am having a 75x950G delivered from Beat Buy on Thursday. This is to replace my Lg Oled 65e6p with bad burn in. Luckily I purchased the expensive repair or replace 5 year warranty so I have no out of pocket expense. I have had 4 Sonys in the past starting with the 40xbr1 and had good experiences. I have gone through all of the postings in this forum looking for recommended settings and have several to try if I want. one thing I noticed is a lot of posts concerning motion. I know in the past the norm was to turn off everything that would introduce anything artificial. Is that not the case anymore?
In the Reddit bravia subforum, search for "Things to look for with a new TV". It's about the 950g.

post #4596 of 6210 Old 02-03-2020, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What power strip do you have? And that would solve a second problem for me as I was looking for an outlet with surge protection (I have a whole house thing at the panel), but no luck finding one.

I also though about an outlet with USB inputs and just plugging bias lights into that.

I honestly don't remember which strip I have, but just about any of them with that sort of setup should work. As for surge protector, I personally wouldn't waste the time. Get a quality UPS with power filtering and use THAT.
JMak00 likes this.
post #4597 of 6210 Old 02-03-2020, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 148
MediaLight I.S.F.-certified bias lighting

Quote:

The MediaLight 6500k bias lighting system.

https://www.biaslighting.com/product...le-140cm-strip

MediaLight only uses genuine 3M double-sided adhesive tape which is extraordinarily sticky and is not intended to be removable for repositioning, so do your test mounting with a temporary tape first. The USB-powered feature does work, but the Sony USB port will power-on periodically when the set is off which turns the MediaLight on with it, so we use AC power instead. The remote control feature works great for adjusting the bias light luminance level quickly and easily. Highly recommended.

“Other TVs turn the USB port on and off every 10 seconds when the TV is turned off (Sony Bravia, for example). This is why we include an AC adapter and a remote control with our MediaLights for TV. You can teach the remote control commands to your universal remote or smart hub with IR blaster.”

Read MediaLight Q&A, including about Sony Bravia USB ports:

https://www.biaslighting.com/pages/f...sked-questions

Last edited by bobbyg53; 02-03-2020 at 03:53 PM. Reason: updated links
post #4598 of 6210 Old 02-03-2020, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 19
OK, I really need some help from you experienced guys out there. The color, etc. looks great. Close ups of faces show amazing details.But then I get artifacts like these attached. One is the text from an ad on a commerial, the other is the logo at the Superbowl. The other is a pic from the screen in the actual superbowl, not sure if the artifacts around the players show up. Like I said, details up close look great, and most of the time the picture looks great, but the logos always have these artifacts and I can see them around some images in the background also. I thought maybe it was just my cable feed, so I attached an OTR and tuned to ABC and saw the same thing.

Hopefully the attached photos will show what I'm talking about. I assume this is not normal?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3321.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	631.2 KB
ID:	2679940   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3308.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	972.7 KB
ID:	2679944   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3305.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	2679950  
post #4599 of 6210 Old 02-03-2020, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflackey View Post
OK, I really need some help from you experienced guys out there. The color, etc. looks great. Close ups of faces show amazing details.But then I get artifacts like these attached. One is the text from an ad on a commerial, the other is the logo at the Superbowl. The other is a pic from the screen in the actual superbowl, not sure if the artifacts around the players show up. Like I said, details up close look great, and most of the time the picture looks great, but the logos always have these artifacts and I can see them around some images in the background also. I thought maybe it was just my cable feed, so I attached an OTR and tuned to ABC and saw the same thing.

Hopefully the attached photos will show what I'm talking about. I assume this is not normal?

Thanks
I got those same artifacts on the Super Bowl last night on Custom 1 at 100 nits. It looked terrible.
post #4600 of 6210 Old 02-03-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby5 View Post
I got those same artifacts on the Super Bowl last night on Custom 1 at 100 nits. It looked terrible.

I assume that's not normal for you on this TV? But the ones on the Granola Bar commercial were on a completely different channel.
post #4601 of 6210 Old 02-03-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg53 View Post
The MediaLight 6500k bias lighting system.

https://www.biaslighting.com/product...le-140cm-strip

MediaLight only uses genuine 3M double-sided adhesive tape which is extraordinarily sticky and is not intended to be removable for repositioning, so do your test mounting with a temporary tape first. The USB-powered feature does work, but the Sony USB port will power-on periodically when the set is off which turns the MediaLight on with it, so we use AC power instead. The remote control feature works great for adjusting the bias light luminance level quickly and easily. Highly recommended.

“Other TVs turn the USB port on and off every 10 seconds when the TV is turned off (Sony Bravia, for example). This is why we include an AC adapter and a remote control with our MediaLights for TV. You can teach the remote control commands to your universal remote or smart hub with IR blaster.”

Read MediaLight Q&A, including about Sony Bravia USB ports:

https://www.biaslighting.com/pages/f...sked-questions
Thanks... Expensive asf, though. But the owner used to post here, right? I wonder if he'd consider a promotion price...

post #4602 of 6210 Old 02-03-2020, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone having or has experienced audio issues where our of no where the tv drops out of all audio?

I'm not using any external speakers as of yet, just the built-in tv speakers.

When I try to check sound settings, my PS4 wakes up and I can o my adjust it's audio settings on it's HDMI port.

This has been hapoe inf ever since I received a system update.

Plan to do a full reset on the software but wanted to know if anything could be the factor.
post #4603 of 6210 Old 02-04-2020, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
I assume that's not normal for you on this TV? But the ones on the Granola Bar commercial were on a completely different channel.
The artifacts seemed more pronounced during the game. I turned off both noise reduction settings because I feel like it makes everything way too smooth.
post #4604 of 6210 Old 02-04-2020, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks... Expensive asf, though. But the owner used to post here, right? I wonder if he'd consider a promotion price...

https://www.biaslighting.com/collect...ialight-coupon
post #4605 of 6210 Old 02-04-2020, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7523 Post(s)
Liked: 7560
Quote:
Originally Posted by wk1947 View Post
Hello, I am having a 75x950G delivered from Beat Buy on Thursday. This is to replace my Lg Oled 65e6p with bad burn in. Luckily I purchased the expensive repair or replace 5 year warranty so I have no out of pocket expense. I have had 4 Sonys in the past starting with the 40xbr1 and had good experiences.
Sop what are you thinking of the new unit VS OLED so far?
post #4606 of 6210 Old 02-04-2020, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
Quote:
Had another odd experience with this set last night...

I have an antenna and get two different Fox stations OTA. I also have a FireStick (HD, not UHD) and wanted to compare the picture quality of streaming vs. OTA since the OTA -should- have been 720 and the stream -should- have been 1080...

After watching the FireStick for 10-15 minutes, the TV threw up an alert that no input was detected and it was going to turn itself off. And then it did. In the middle of the halftime show.

Seriously? This TV continues to amaze me at being a horrendous piece of work. Anyone else experience anything similar at any point?
Nope. My brother-in-law hosted a Super Bowl party and they watched the entire game yesterday via FireTV (WiFi) streaming in 4K with no issues whatsoever. No issues with blurriness, smearing of image, audio or video dropouts.
The picture was absolutely jaw dropping phenomenal. We watched on my 85” 950G. Wow.
post #4607 of 6210 Old 02-04-2020, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromplasmato View Post
The picture was absolutely jaw dropping phenomenal. We watched on my 85” 950G. Wow.
My post had nothing to do with the game, and I really shouldn't have even mentioned it.
post #4608 of 6210 Old 02-04-2020, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 316
The FOX broadcast was in 720p, and what everyone was seeing was compresion artifacts (Digital Trash) due to the low resolution. CBS, and NBC sports broadcast look so much better as they broadcast in 1080i, less compression, so less digital trash

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2
post #4609 of 6210 Old 02-04-2020, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
The FOX broadcast was in 720p, and what everyone was seeing was compresion artifacts (Digital Trash) due to the low resolution. CBS, and NBC sports broadcast look so much better as they broadcast in 1080i, less compression, so less digital trash
Native 720p or 1080i via OTA has nothing to do with compression. FOX chose 720p because when HD OTA broadcasts were starting out 720p was thought to be better for motion and sports whereas 1080i was thought to be better for dramas and movie-like content.

The real issue with 720p vice 1080i is the upscaling algorithms that convert the signal to a 4K signal, it is much harder to upscale the 720p OTA signal vice the 1080i OTA signal. Then we get to all the various bit-starving compression algorithms that your various cable companies apply to the original signal which further degrades the signal that your TV is trying to upscale to 4K.

The various bargain TVs are notorious for poorly upscaling a 720p signal, I'm looking at you Visio.
dturturro and Panson like this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #4610 of 6210 Old 02-04-2020, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroburn View Post
Anyone having or has experienced audio issues where our of no where the tv drops out of all audio?

I'm not using any external speakers as of yet, just the built-in tv speakers.

When I try to check sound settings, my PS4 wakes up and I can o my adjust it's audio settings on it's HDMI port.

This has been hapoe inf ever since I received a system update.

Plan to do a full reset on the software but wanted to know if anything could be the factor.
I've have the same problem from time to time. Just a simple restart solves the problem. No need for a full reset.

Sony XBR65X950G TV/Oppo UDP-203/Denon AVR X3600H
Klipsch RF-52II Home Theater Bundle/Klipsch RP-450C Center Speaker
Klipsch RP140SA Height Speakers/Premier Acoustic PA-120 Titanium Subwoofer
Set Up - http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...&uploaded=true
Movie Collection - https://cloud.collectorz.com/clayhans/movies
post #4611 of 6210 Old 02-04-2020, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
Yep, the Fox OTA broadcast looked terrible. I don't watch my local Fox channel much and was surprised how bad it looked but that's probably due to my local affiliate WJW Cleveland having 3 subchannels now. I watched the SB on DirecTV 4K channel 105 and the PQ was fantastic (even though it was a 1080p upconvert w/HDR and not native 4K). No compression artifacts or garbage, this TV looked great. Looked better than games in 1080i on CBS/NBC.
post #4612 of 6210 Old 02-04-2020, 11:58 AM

Questions on the 950G remote:

I'm trying to see if I can use this as a single remote instead of this and my cable box remote. I was pleased at how simply the TV determined what my cable box was and then programmed the remote for it. However, it seems to be missing some keys? For example, I don't think I've ever seen a video remote before that doesn't have a "Stop" button on it, usually adjacent to the Play button: Does the 950G remote not have a stop button? Also when trying to navigate the cable guide it appears there's no Page Up or Page Down keys? Nor a Day Forward or Day Back buttons?

Does anyone actually use this remote as a universal with a cable or sat box? I can't find a way to do any assignment of buttons on it.

Thanks
post #4613 of 6210 Old 02-05-2020, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Thumbs down

Quote:
All coupons have been discontinued due to the current trade war. Thanks for understanding.

SONY XBR-65X900F - Sony UDP X800- PSA 210T L/R -PHANTOM CENTER -ENERGY RC-10 SURROUNDS -PSA S3000i - MARANTZ SR6013 - APPLETV 4K -DIRECTV HR44 -HARMONY ELITE

BASEMENT SETUP- SAMSUNG 7100 60"- ENERGY RC50'S L/R-ENERGY RC LCR- DENON AVR-X3500H- PS3 -APPLETV 4K- SVS PB2000 PRO DUAL
post #4614 of 6210 Old 02-05-2020, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Good afternoon all;

Please indulge me. So I don't have to read all 4600 posts.

What or where are the motion flow settings for this Panel?

I have read motion handling is not up to speed. Also read somewhere that someone has experimented and come to a workable solution.

Thanks in advance!

J
post #4615 of 6210 Old 02-05-2020, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJHooK View Post
Yes, I'm using a vizio dolby atmos soundbar. The issue is no sound coming from the native TV apps.
This happens to me occasionally with my Vizio Dolby Atmos soundbar. I end up unplugging TV and and soundbar. Once they reboot, the sound seems to come back in native tv apps.
PeeJHooK likes this.
post #4616 of 6210 Old 02-05-2020, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponnie1996 View Post
This happens to me occasionally with my Vizio Dolby Atmos soundbar. I end up unplugging TV and and soundbar. Once they reboot, the sound seems to come back in native tv apps.
Yes i've tried that and it works temporarily. But as soon as I exit out of the app and try again later, the issue repeats. I've resorted to just using my ATV4K to stream atmos sound.
TheDuke1980 likes this.

LG OLED55C7P | Sony 75X950G | LG UP970 | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121
post #4617 of 6210 Old 02-05-2020, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJHooK View Post
Yes i've tried that and it works temporarily. But as soon as I exit out of the app and try again later, the issue repeats. I've resorted to just using my ATV4K to stream atmos sound.
Yeah I've given up as well. Hopefully Sony will fix it with an update but not worth the hassle as is.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #4618 of 6210 Old 02-05-2020, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 2
My tv is professional calibrated so, after updating 75xg9505 to Android 9, i have corresponded with the people from "Sony support" and with an authorized service ...... their answer is:
"Hello,
Your pre-reset request cannot be honored, your personal settings cannot be saved and / or restored later, there is no option.
The reset operation of the equipment can be done only from the user menu (Settings ==> Storage and reset ==> Factory settings), there are no other reset modes intended for service only.
Also, no one can guarantee access to a menu or another after the software update, these options are activated / deactivated by the manufacturer without the possibility of being modified later by the user / service. "

So, Sony offers the possibility of professional calibration by providing a dedicated software - Calman for Bravia (delivered with the TV), but it does not offer the possibility to save the settings, not having at the service both hardware tools and the related software, leaving the consumer / buyer / owner of the TV without the possibility to remedy any problems arising from the use, the only solution being that, whenever the firmware of the device is updated, to use the services of third parties, for additional amounts of money. The differences and experience in use, post vs pre calibration, are huge so any reset comes completely out of the discussion. Now, compare the brands and what they offer to the consumer - those of you with professionally calibrated TVs. I am very disappointed.

Last edited by diaconusm; 02-05-2020 at 10:20 PM. Reason: wrong words
post #4619 of 6210 Old 02-06-2020, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diaconusm View Post
My tv is professional calibrated so, after updating 75xg9505 to Android 9, i have corresponded with the people from "Sony support" and with an authorized service ...... their answer is:
"Hello,
Your pre-reset request cannot be honored, your personal settings cannot be saved and / or restored later, there is no option.
The reset operation of the equipment can be done only from the user menu (Settings ==> Storage and reset ==> Factory settings), there are no other reset modes intended for service only.
Also, no one can guarantee access to a menu or another after the software update, these options are activated / deactivated by the manufacturer without the possibility of being modified later by the user / service. "

So, Sony offers the possibility of professional calibration by providing a dedicated software - Calman for Bravia (delivered with the TV), but it does not offer the possibility to save the settings, not having at the service both hardware tools and the related software, leaving the consumer / buyer / owner of the TV without the possibility to remedy any problems arising from the use, the only solution being that, whenever the firmware of the device is updated, to use the services of third parties, for additional amounts of money. The differences and experience in use, post vs pre calibration, are huge so any reset comes completely out of the discussion. Now, compare the brands and what they offer to the consumer - those of you with professionally calibrated TVs. I am very disappointed.

Let me see if I understand this: So, if someone has a professional calibrator come in and calibrate their TV, any future firmware updates will erase or change that calibration? That doesn't sound right.
post #4620 of 6210 Old 02-06-2020, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Let me see if I understand this: So, if someone has a professional calibrator come in and calibrate their TV, any future firmware updates will erase or change that calibration? That doesn't sound right.
I don't believe that's what the OP was saying. I believe they were discussing the fact that you can't "save" and "restore" settings in the TV, which is true. From there, it seems they may have been drawing their own conclusion that a firmware update resets the TV.

Settings persist across firmware updates. Sony tells you explicitly in the firmware notes that certain aspects of how the TV works, like backlighting levels, could be affected by firmware updates which means that the calibration could be invalidated. I have not seen a firmware update impact picture settings on any of the sets I've done firmware updates to (800E, 900E, 940D, 950G).

Whether you can "save" and "restore" the settings or not isn't terribly relevant as that's an issue with Android TV - NOT with Sony. Every firmware update should be done after a factory reset as sometimes those firmware updates introduce new settings options or change default values. After the update, do a second reset and then put all of your settings back manually. It's a GIANT pain to do this, but it's the only way to be 100% sure that settings are correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolby atmos , sony 950g 85" , x95g

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page