2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 157 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1708Likes

post #4681 of 4714 Old 02-13-2020, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 45
There is a worthwhile question or point here...

Does updating firmware reset PQ settings?

Does a factory reset reset PQ settings?

If yes to either, can the consumer re-enter the modified PQ settings or load them via USB? Or, does the consumer have to pay to enter those modified settings by purchasing their own hw and sw of paying a calibrator to come back?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 4714 Old 02-13-2020, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMak00 View Post

If yes to either, can the consumer re-enter the modified PQ settings or load them via USB? Or, does the consumer have to pay to enter those modified settings by purchasing their own hw and sw of paying a calibrator to come back?

Updating firmware does not reset picture settings. Factory reset does. If the TV is calibrated using Calman, then there are two more(custom pro 1 and 2) picture settings in addition to custom. Those will not be accessible to enter the previous settings, unless they are opened up again.
post #4683 of 4714 Old 02-13-2020, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMak00 View Post

Factory reset will reset PQ settings. And yes, the consumer will have to pay to enter those modified settings by purchasing his own sw (assuming that he/she has a laptop) or paying a calibrator to come back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4684 of 4714 Old 02-14-2020, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7138 Post(s)
Liked: 7180
Quote:
Originally Posted by diaconusm View Post
How can you appreciate a manufacturer, the only one, who hides the professional calibration settings? The manufacturer that force you to purchase $ 150 software to access additional settings - a valid situation in cases where the calibration was allready performed and subsequently deleted by the firmware update (calibration deleted because Sony recommends a factory reset after each firmware update).
well you do not want to do a factory rfeset unless you have to, thats for sure......
post #4685 of 4714 Old 02-14-2020, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
well you do not want to do a factory rfeset unless you have to, thats for sure......
Yes, you are wright.
1-after purchasing 75xg9505 i have tested it with a lot of video materials for about 14 days;
2-although it does not have vertical banding, a similar, fine effect can be observed in the fast panning movements at football matches - a phenomenon recorded exclusively in images containing the whole field;
3-in Netflix, in some films (not all), the movement is horrible with a fine stutter, which appears in certain sequences ... the Internet speed is excellent, without interruptions;
4-motion in video materials provided by an external UHD bluray, with the same stutter problems;
5-the tennis ball leaves a noticeable trace even if the smoothness setting is at maximum..............
I contacted Sony and asked for help. They told me to wait for the firmware update and to do a factory reset. Until the update I hired a professional calibrator/company to calibrate the TV. Later I proceeded to update the firmware and found out that if I do the factory reset I have to pay the calibrator again or buy the Calman software personally and learn how to use it. It's not normal at all. After reading more material, on several forums, I realized that I am not the only one who has this problem but it is actually a problem of the ultimate x1 processor.
post #4686 of 4714 Old 02-14-2020, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Anyone with any common sense wouldn't do a factory reset of anything that has custom settings without knowing beforehand if those settings can be restored...you would think.
post #4687 of 4714 Old 02-14-2020, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by diaconusm View Post
Yes, you are wright.

1-after purchasing 75xg9505 i have tested it with a lot of video materials for about 14 days;

2-although it does not have vertical banding, a similar, fine effect can be observed in the fast panning movements at football matches - a phenomenon recorded exclusively in images containing the whole field;

3-in Netflix, in some films (not all), the movement is horrible with a fine stutter, which appears in certain sequences ... the Internet speed is excellent, without interruptions;

4-motion in video materials provided by an external UHD bluray, with the same stutter problems;

5-the tennis ball leaves a noticeable trace even if the smoothness setting is at maximum..............

I contacted Sony and asked for help. They told me to wait for the firmware update and to do a factory reset. Until the update I hired a professional calibrator/company to calibrate the TV. Later I proceeded to update the firmware and found out that if I do the factory reset I have to pay the calibrator again or buy the Calman software personally and learn how to use it. It's not normal at all. After reading more material, on several forums, I realized that I am not the only one who has this problem but it is actually a problem of the ultimate x1 processor.
Actually more of a problem with 120hz panels and super fast refresh rates and low frame content.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
post #4688 of 4714 Old 02-14-2020, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Are there any more streaming apps like Pluto TV that I can add to channel lineup on this TV?
post #4689 of 4714 Old 02-15-2020, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Does anyone know how to force close an app?

Sometimes Twitch will bug out and even if I exit out of the app, it's still running in the background so when I open it up, it's still messed up.

The only solution i've found so far is to restart the whole TV, then the app runs fine again.

Is there any way to force an app to close completely so I can re-open it fresh?
post #4690 of 4714 Old 02-15-2020, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Question about True Cinema and Apple TV's "Match Frame Rate".

True Cinema: "maintains the original 24-fps rate straight through to the screen."

Apple TV Match Frame Rate: "Turn on to have Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD match its refresh rate to the original frame rate of content. This applies to content that's mastered at different frame rates, for example 24fps film-based content or other international content."

So does True Cinema accomplish what the Match Frame Rate is doing on ATV? How well does True Cinema (Cinemotion also set to High) handle non-24fps content? I'm asking because I'm pretty sure the Match Frame Rate is causing audio sync issues on my TV, and I want to turn it off if possible.

Thanks.
TheDuke1980 likes this.
post #4691 of 4714 Old 02-15-2020, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 328
The term FULL RESET, may be misinterpreted as Sony has defined the definitions.

From the Sony Web Manual below.

https://helpguide.sony.net/tv/gusltn.../08-01_03.html

If a full reset (restart) of the TV is required

If you have trouble such as the picture not displaying on the screen or the remote control not working, reset the TV with the following procedure. If the problem persists, try the factory reset procedure below.
If an external USB device is connected to the TV, disconnect the USB device from the TV before resetting.

Power Reset
Restart the TV with the remote control.
Press and hold the power button on the remote control for about 5 seconds until the “Power off” message is displayed.
The TV will turn off and then restart automatically after about one minute.
If the TV does not turn on automatically, press the power button on the remote control after 20 seconds.
Unplug the AC power cord (mains lead).
If the problem persists after step 1, unplug the TV power cord (mains lead) from the electrical outlet. Then press the power button on the TV and wait for 2 minutes, and plug the power cord (mains lead) back into the electrical outlet.

HintYour personal settings and data will not be lost after the TV restarts.

Factory data reset.
If the problem persists after a power reset, try a factory data reset.

Note Performing a factory reset will delete all of the TV’s data and settings (such as Wi-Fi and wired network setting information, Google account and other login information, Google Play and other installed apps).

Press the HOME button, then select [Settings] — [Device Preferences] — [Reset] — [Factory data reset].
Select [Erase everything].
If you have set a PIN code on your TV, you will be prompted to input it when you select [Erase everything].
After the factory reset process completes successfully, the TV will start the Initial Setup wizard. You must agree to the Google Terms of Service and Google Privacy Policy.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW, Sony XBR 85X 850G, Sony UBP-X800M2, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A

Last edited by LNEWoLF; 02-15-2020 at 09:53 AM.
post #4692 of 4714 Old 02-15-2020, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyrabbit21 View Post
Does anyone know how to force close an app?

Sometimes Twitch will bug out and even if I exit out of the app, it's still running in the background so when I open it up, it's still messed up.

The only solution i've found so far is to restart the whole TV, then the app runs fine again.

Is there any way to force an app to close completely so I can re-open it fresh?
Settings-> apps->scroll till you find it, select it, -> close app
or something close to that.
post #4693 of 4714 Old 02-15-2020, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
So last night i decided to try messing with the "Logger Buffer Sizes" option in the "Developer mode" and set to 16 MB, and what do you know it actually worked. Here are my results from a litle bit of testing:

- The the tv menus respond faster
- At 1080p 120Hz: my mouse pointer responds a bit faster, Video interpolation is a bit smoother i think but it still looks like it's interpolating to 30fps, i get the feeling sony did limited it like this intentioanlly for .... some reason, which is some complete BS because i play pc games at 1080p and a boost in smoothness would be great.

- At 4K 60 Hz with Video interplation turned on and playing a video I CONFIM THE STUTTERING IS GONE. Other good news interpolation actually works now wether Cinemotion(Film mode) is "Auto" or "OFF" before it had to be turned on to actully see any interpolation kicking in and that of course introduced stuttering , but no more of that crap. As for how smooth the interpolation is, well it's still a far cry from how it should be it still looks like it's interplating to 60 fps to me, but at least it's not stuttering so there's that.

Now if someone would find i way to increase the smoothness of the interpolation i could finally use this tv with joy and at the actuall native 4K resolution.

Things i noticed with which i am not too thrilled:

- At 4K 60Hz with interpolation turned on when dragging a window across the screen i noticed that the tv needs a moment to activate interpolation and to smooth out the moving of the window.

- In one video which i have played with SVP4 (pc interpolation software) i would get stuttering in one scene because my pc isn't powerfull enough to use those settings in SVP4 for that scene, i noticed that the interpolation of the tv also stuttered in that scene like the tv didn't have enough proccessing power for that scene.

Seeing the effect from increasing the "Logger Buffer Sizes" option on the tv i'm theorising that the tv might not be allowed to use enough proccessing power for the interpolation and that caused the stutter in that scene for which if i lower the Settings a bit in SVP4 that scene goes smoothly with no problem.
post #4694 of 4714 Old 02-15-2020, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 67
You should just do what I did, and modify the firmware with a hex editor. I was tired of Sony crippling this TV for PC users, and I just used a hex editor to unlock 1440P at 120Hz. This is the best resolution and refresh rate for PC usage.
post #4695 of 4714 Old 02-15-2020, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyW75 View Post
You should just do what I did, and modify the firmware with a hex editor. I was tired of Sony crippling this TV for PC users, and I just used a hex editor to unlock 1440P at 120Hz. This is the best resolution and refresh rate for PC usage.
Can you please link me to information on how to do this? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Home theatre: 65" Sony X950G / LG UBKM9 / Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
Denon AVR-X4400H 7.1.4 config. / Plantronics Dolby Atmos RIG 600LX
Pioneer Andrew Jones L,R,C,SL,SR,SBL,SBR / (4) Polk Atrium 5 series TF,TR
SVS PB-2000 w/ SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System
post #4696 of 4714 Old 02-15-2020, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Ever since the 9.0 upgrade, my YouTube experience has been horrendous. I've traced it back to the TV disconnecting from my wifi and reconnecting. All streaming apps are affected, as well as the app store.

Anyone else has this problem?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Home theatre: 65" Sony X950G / LG UBKM9 / Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
Denon AVR-X4400H 7.1.4 config. / Plantronics Dolby Atmos RIG 600LX
Pioneer Andrew Jones L,R,C,SL,SR,SBL,SBR / (4) Polk Atrium 5 series TF,TR
SVS PB-2000 w/ SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System
post #4697 of 4714 Old 02-16-2020, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've got a Bose 700 soundbar connected to my 65" 950G (long story how I ended up choosing that, for another thread.) Works great, sounds great. Got it connected to the eARC HDMI input on the TV, However, I noticed when looking in the sound info in settings that the "use eARC" option was not turned on. I assume I should turn that on? I'm not sure I was missing any sound quality with it turned off; does it not pass along Dolby Sound etc. to the bar with that turned off? (It showed Dolby Sound" in the settings while watching shows like The Witcher on Netflix.)

Thanks
post #4698 of 4714 Old 02-16-2020, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Any one get the Disney+ app working correctly?

Watching Mandalorian... still not getting dolby vision or atmos.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #4699 of 4714 Old 02-16-2020, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by camd5pt0 View Post
Ever since the 9.0 upgrade, my YouTube experience has been horrendous. I've traced it back to the TV disconnecting from my wifi and reconnecting. All streaming apps are affected, as well as the app store.

Anyone else has this problem?

Sent from my SM-N975U using

Tapatalk
I had issues with it losing the internet connection but maintaining the wifi signal. There has been no resolution. I ended up hooking up a wifi extender into ethernet which eventually also disconnected frequently. I turned off wifi, disconnected the ethernet, reset the TV and deleted all onboard apps. I now use an Apple tv and Firecube. Both stay connected 100%. Now I only have issues when switching hdmi inputs. Every once in awhile I have to reboot but it's better than dropping the internet constantly.
post #4700 of 4714 Old 02-16-2020, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked: 2161
All discussion of hacking manufacturer firmware is forbidden. Posts removed.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #4701 of 4714 Old 02-16-2020, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked: 2161
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4x View Post
Any one get the Disney+ app working correctly?

Watching Mandalorian... still not getting dolby vision or atmos.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Worked last time I used it about 2 or so weeks ago.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #4702 of 4714 Old 02-17-2020, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Videomirage View Post
So last night i decided to try messing with the "Logger Buffer Sizes" option in the "Developer mode" and set to 16 MB, and what do you know it actually worked. Here are my results from a litle bit of testing:

- The the tv menus respond faster
- At 1080p 120Hz: my mouse pointer responds a bit faster, Video interpolation is a bit smoother i think but it still looks like it's interpolating to 30fps, i get the feeling sony did limited it like this intentioanlly for .... some reason, which is some complete BS because i play pc games at 1080p and a boost in smoothness would be great..
sorry for butting in, but I might have missed something

if you are at [email protected] - why would you need any interpolation at all ? "real" 120hz is already smooth and fast in all games (isnt interpolation mainly for 30 fps console games - to make them "feel" like 60/120 fps ?)

or are you talking about different kind of interpolation ?
post #4703 of 4714 Old 02-17-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDisplay View Post
sorry for butting in, but I might have missed something

if you are at [email protected] - why would you need any interpolation at all ? "real" 120hz is already smooth and fast in all games (isnt interpolation mainly for 30 fps console games - to make them "feel" like 60/120 fps ?)

or are you talking about different kind of interpolation ?
I can't run all games at 120 fps that's why i whould like to use it in games. And most of the time i'm using SVP4 to watch video shot in 24fps and interpolate it to 120fps.
post #4704 of 4714 Old 02-17-2020, 09:53 AM

So a few days ago i noticed something very concerning, the local dimming seems to affect the grayscale anything other than off and i start to see yelowish tint on the screen the higher the setting the worst it is. It's most noticable when i have a white window open in windows or any kind of white background on desktop or in video.

Is this "Normal" or is it a software thing, because i find it pretty unacceptable choosing between yelowish grayscale and grey blacks (when local dimming is turned off).

Can some of you check this out on your tv i would greatly appreciate it. If you are using this tv as a pc monitor just open a window and go between Local Dimming: Off, Low, Medium and High or just open this video test pattern from usb and tell me if you see the color changing:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03.- 0-100%.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	2686276  
post #4705 of 4714 Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question

Hello all,

I just got one of these, having come up from an X900E (2017).

I'm struggling to find a sensible set of recommended settings, and having searched this thread for the last 15 minutes I am none to the wiser.

I saw the rtings article however they admit they didn't base these on this model! Furthermore, they don't make it clear how to tweak the colour and other settings for HD vs HDR.

Has anyone got a simple list of settings spanning HD, HDR and ideally gaming?

I'm a complete n00b when it comes to collaboration and have no idea what I am doing - all I know is the default picture settings it came with are way too vivid and saturated.

Thanks in advance!

RR
post #4706 of 4714 Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReflexReaction View Post
Hello all,

I'm struggling to find a sensible set of recommended settings, and having searched this thread for the last 15 minutes I am none to the wiser.

I saw the rtings article however they admit they didn't base these on this model! Furthermore, they don't make it clear how to tweak the colour and other settings for HD vs HDR.

I'm a complete n00b when it comes to collaboration and have no idea what I am doing - all I know is the default picture settings it came with are way too vivid and saturated.

Thanks in advance!

RR

That's a hard question for anyone to answer. I own the 75 950G and my experience may be very different from yours. Be wary of people offering solutions. You tv may be different slightly due to manufacturing tolerances. Your lighting setup and many many factors play into it. PLUS - the big thing is we all have a different preference. I prefer very natural picture the way the director of a movie envisioned it. So I have my tv professionally calibrated. But that is not for everyone.

I only respond to you as a courtesy and warning. You are the one watching your TV and 2. No matter what anyone says, there is no perfect or magical setting. If it's too bright and you don't wish to have calibration done then you can lower the brightness and turn of X-Tended Dynamic range at the bottom of the 'Brightness' setting menu. That will help it be less saturated.

I know that is not the greatest help, just hope you are careful and get a better working solution.

have a good one!
post #4707 of 4714 Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Any Ideas;

I'm starting to get video momentary dropouts from AP4Ktv. Dish off the satellite no issues. Checked all software, good to go. Do cables go bad? I have Cinnamon cables, should be sufficient. Just started happening.
Running MX170 SSP. Looks like handshake issue to me. From what I've read, looks like cabeling. Before I rip it all apart thought I would get some opinions or thoughts or knowledge.

Cheers
Jerry
post #4708 of 4714 Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busht4169 View Post
That's a hard question for anyone to answer. I own the 75 950G and my experience may be very different from yours. Be wary of people offering solutions. You tv may be different slightly due to manufacturing tolerances. Your lighting setup and many many factors play into it. PLUS - the big thing is we all have a different preference. I prefer very natural picture the way the director of a movie envisioned it. So I have my tv professionally calibrated. But that is not for everyone.

I only respond to you as a courtesy and warning. You are the one watching your TV and 2. No matter what anyone says, there is no perfect or magical setting. If it's too bright and you don't wish to have calibration done then you can lower the brightness and turn of X-Tended Dynamic range at the bottom of the 'Brightness' setting menu. That will help it be less saturated.

I know that is not the greatest help, just hope you are careful and get a better working solution.

have a good one!

Thanks. I appreciate your reply and also acknowledge your suggestion/recommendation. However, I've never had a TV which I wasn't able to find a set of recommended "this makes it generally better for all" settings. Maybe there is no such thing for this model, and instead it's already at a baseline "best" for the average folks. I'll tweak the settings as you suggestion, but already wonder if there is a better presetting than another presetting? Does anyone recommend a specifically preconfigured setting at least?
post #4709 of 4714 Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReflexReaction View Post
Hello all,

Thanks in advance!

RR
I'm "here" from the 900E as well. Mine failed and I had no other option as Sony basically forced me to take this set as a replacement. I want my 900E back. period.

With that said, change the picture setting from Standard to Custom 1. That should help.
post #4710 of 4714 Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
I'm "here" from the 900E as well. Mine failed and I had no other option as Sony basically forced me to take this set as a replacement. I want my 900E back. period.

With that said, change the picture setting from Standard to Custom 1. That should help.
Thank you. Thats exactly what has happened for me. I was happy initially but I am starting to worry that the 900E was vastly superior. I wonder if we complain to Sony, if they would do anything. Probably not.

Thanks - will check out Custom 1!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolby atmos , sony 950g 85" , x95g

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page