2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 159 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2056Likes

post #4741 of 5904 Old 02-24-2020, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
Because the Firestick sucks.
alternatives - AppleTV, Chromecast etc.

the most powerful and robust from what I know is the (newest) Nvidia Shield - if youre ok with a bigger "box" .. its technically "for gaming", but it does all streaming and other stuff too and Ive heard many times that its the best
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4742 of 5904 Old 02-24-2020, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
So the TV apps suck, Firestick works but still sucks. I have a Firestick, 2 Fire TV's, 2017 Shield and a 2019 Shield they all do what I need them to do but the 2019 Shield is my go to.
post #4743 of 5904 Old 02-24-2020, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
What about it sucks?

Just curious what I'm missing. I have a 4k Firestick attached to my OPPO that connects to my 85' 950G, to access Amazon, Netflix, HBO, Showtime, Pandora, and probably a few I'm forgetting. All work really well. I"m not trying to debate, just curious what leads to your conclusion as maybe I'm missing something.

CC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4744 of 5904 Old 02-24-2020, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post
So the TV apps suck, Firestick works but still sucks. I have a Firestick, 2 Fire TV's, 2017 Shield and a 2019 Shield they all do what I need them to do but the 2019 Shield is my go to.
The TV apps suck statement has me curious. In what way? I also have a Shield and rarely use it any more. The Sony and Shield are both the same Android TV apps. For me, the TV apps work as good and often better than the shield apps.
post #4745 of 5904 Old 02-24-2020, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
The TV apps suck statement has me curious. In what way? I also have a Shield and rarely use it any more. The Sony and Shield are both the same Android TV apps. For me, the TV apps work as good and often better than the shield apps.
You're quoting me but I'm not the poster that bitched about the TV apps. Seems so many complain about the TV apps. Just because they're Android doesn't mean they're the same apps. Never had an issue with either 17 or 19 Shields, I prefer my 19 for everything Kodi,apps and AI upscaling.
post #4746 of 5904 Old 02-24-2020, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDisplay View Post
use the firestick
LOL. Thanks, that makes sense. And that is what I'm doing. Still there is an issue with my TV that I would like to resolve. I'm concerned that it may be the beginning of other problems.
post #4747 of 5904 Old 02-24-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post
Don't understand why everyone wants to use the apps on the TV it's never been optimal. So why use them if you have a firestick? I have never used TV apps on any TV.
Thanks. That's true I didn't use the apps much on my last TV, a Panasonic Plasma. But that TV had very few apps anyway. I will be using the Firestick and maybe try other devices. But I still would like my TV to work properly.
post #4748 of 5904 Old 02-24-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I don't have a problem with the Firestick. But I don't have anything to compare it with. I have a Insignia TV that is a Fire TV. I'll check into other devices to see if I can find something better.
post #4749 of 5904 Old 02-24-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDisplay View Post
alternatives - AppleTV, Chromecast etc.

the most powerful and robust from what I know is the (newest) Nvidia Shield - if youre ok with a bigger "box" .. its technically "for gaming", but it does all streaming and other stuff too and Ive heard many times that its the best
I'll check into Nvidia Shield. Nvidia make good products. I use their video cards all the time.
post #4750 of 5904 Old 02-24-2020, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I really like our Roku Ultra but honestly it is so easy and same remote to use Netflix, Prime, and Hulu on the Sony that we just use the TV apps. So far haven't really seen a difference.
post #4751 of 5904 Old 02-24-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
Strangely my Sony's app worked fine until a few weeks ago. I have a 43" Insignia 4K that is a Fire TV. It's over a year old and I never had any issues with it. I love the Sony's picture. I can live without the apps since there are so many alternatives. But I just don't like the fact that there is something wrong with my new TV.
post #4752 of 5904 Old 02-24-2020, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone know if the main board for an 55” is the same for an 85”? I had mine replaced and they were different part numbers and Sony said they are all the same. But I’ve been having audio and video issues ever since.
post #4753 of 5904 Old 02-25-2020, 03:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked: 442
I have outlined all of this before, but I'll repeat it since my comment has created a lot of discussion..

In general, the FireStick is problematic (as are ALL external streaming devices) because they output a fixed resolution. See the next comments as to why this is such a significant problem for the FireStick.

The HD FireStick outputs everything at 1080 or 720 (for this TV, set it to 1080), forcing the TV to upscale to 2160 (UHD/4K). For 1080 content, this is not an issue at all. For 720 content and lower, the content is being upscaled twice. For 480 content, the double upscaling really shows up with suboptimal PQ.

The 4K FireStick can output everything at 4K, removing the double upscaling problem. But, it does a POOR job at upscaling to 4K.

If all you're doing is streaming online, then the FireStick might be an "ok" solution. For anything more, though, you will notice a PQ difference between it and the internal apps where the internal apps are -significantly- better. The vast majority of what I watch comes from my OTA antenna in some form or other, whether it be live or recorded via Plex. The FireStick does an overall poor job of showing content from my antennas and often times the PQ is so bad I can't even watch it. Switch to the internal app, and the PQ is great.

The most significant advantage to the internal apps is that A) the image is only ever upscaled once and B) all of the upscaling is handling by arguably one of the best upscaling engines available to us as consumers.

Do you have and use a FireStick? And like it? Great. I'm glad it works for you. It 100% does NOT work for me. It has exactly one job, and that's to stream Disney+ content (on the rare occasion I watch something there) as it affords me the ability to keep my data usage well under my cap by streaming the HD version (Disney+ does not offer a way to stream lower resolution on any content as it always streams according to what your device supports for max resolution).
sjm817 and Cheddarhead like this.
post #4754 of 5904 Old 02-25-2020, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've owned this TV for a month and love it. I am expecting to finally get my internet service hooked up this week. Question is do I update the firmware or leave alone. Asking because I have heard a lot of comments about Apps and Earc not working properly after they updated. Thanks!
post #4755 of 5904 Old 02-25-2020, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Did anyone replaced a 85 900f with the 950g? That can comment in the differences . Do you guys find the colors too light? I see that the tv has a low gamma and color volume
Thanks
post #4756 of 5904 Old 02-25-2020, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie E View Post
I purchased a 65” Sony X950G from Best Buy on 11-20-19. Up until about 3 weeks ago I had no issues with it. All of the current problems seem to be with the Android software. When watching programs using the smart apps like Netflix and Amazon Prime, the picture often freezes while the audio is still playing. The freeze can last for about 10 seconds or longer before the video starts again. Sometimes it doesn’t unfreeze at all, and I have to stop and restart the program I was watching. Also, sometimes the audio is not in sync with the video, where the video is several seconds behind the audio. I tried resetting the software several times. I put the TV on a static IP address. I have a high-end Netgear router that is fairly close to the TV. I have no issues with my other devices that use wifi so I’m sure it’s not a wifi issue. I have a 4K Firestick connected to the TV. I can play all of the exact same programs like Netflix and Amazon Prime on the Firestick with no issues what so ever. So, no doubt it’s the TV. I owned a Panasonic TC-P60GT50 for 7 issue free years. So it’s so frustrating to have this problem on a new TV. Any suggestions, advice?
You say it's not a WiFi issue but I'll bet it is. WiFi signal strength can vary so much over a short distance. Just for a test I'd try to hardwire the network connection. If that doesn't fix the problem then you know it's the TV and need to get Sony to fix it.
post #4757 of 5904 Old 02-25-2020, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7475 Post(s)
Liked: 7514
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflackey View Post
Look up a few posts. I posted two calibration videos by a well respected (by most) guy.
What do you think after the calibration?
post #4758 of 5904 Old 02-25-2020, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
I have outlined all of this before, but I'll repeat it since my comment has created a lot of discussion..

In general, the FireStick is problematic (as are ALL external streaming devices) because they output a fixed resolution. See the next comments as to why this is such a significant problem for the FireStick.

The HD FireStick outputs everything at 1080 or 720 (for this TV, set it to 1080), forcing the TV to upscale to 2160 (UHD/4K). For 1080 content, this is not an issue at all. For 720 content and lower, the content is being upscaled twice. For 480 content, the double upscaling really shows up with suboptimal PQ.

The 4K FireStick can output everything at 4K, removing the double upscaling problem. But, it does a POOR job at upscaling to 4K.

If all you're doing is streaming online, then the FireStick might be an "ok" solution. For anything more, though, you will notice a PQ difference between it and the internal apps where the internal apps are -significantly- better. The vast majority of what I watch comes from my OTA antenna in some form or other, whether it be live or recorded via Plex. The FireStick does an overall poor job of showing content from my antennas and often times the PQ is so bad I can't even watch it. Switch to the internal app, and the PQ is great.

The most significant advantage to the internal apps is that A) the image is only ever upscaled once and B) all of the upscaling is handling by arguably one of the best upscaling engines available to us as consumers.

Do you have and use a FireStick? And like it? Great. I'm glad it works for you. It 100% does NOT work for me. It has exactly one job, and that's to stream Disney+ content (on the rare occasion I watch something there) as it affords me the ability to keep my data usage well under my cap by streaming the HD version (Disney+ does not offer a way to stream lower resolution on any content as it always streams according to what your device supports for max resolution).
I'll add to this:

While not directly related to the performance of the FireStick, many of us prefer to stay out of the ecosystem that Amazon is trying to build. They have all but destroyed the e-reader market with the proprietary Kindle format and encourage content providers to create FireStick specific apps instead of AndroidTV compatible apps even though the FireStick runs a bastardized version of AndroidTV. Any app that runs on the FireStick should also run on any AndroidTV device but Amazon does not encourage this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #4759 of 5904 Old 02-25-2020, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Unhappy

Quote:
I purchased a 65” Sony X950G from Best Buy on 11-20-19. Up until about 3 weeks ago I had no issues with it. All of the current problems seem to be with the Android software. When watching programs using the smart apps like Netflix and Amazon Prime, the picture often freezes while the audio is still playing. The freeze can last for about 10 seconds or longer before the video starts again. Sometimes it doesn’t unfreeze at all, and I have to stop and restart the program I was watching. Also, sometimes the audio is not in sync with the video, where the video is several seconds behind the audio......
We bought the same model (65X950G) Sony TV from Best Buy in August 2019 and experienced the same problems you described after the system software update.

We have a radio controlled clock situated on the wall above the TV and noticed that the TV video freezes exactly on every hour and half hour. The sound continues while the video is frozen, but they both eventually sync up. The longest freeze occurs on the hour, with a shorter freeze on the half hour. This happens when using the internal Hulu app, not with over the air TV. I don't recall whether the freezes occur with other apps (e.g., Prime, Netflix, ...)

Our Sony TV is connected by wire directly to an Xfinity provided modem located about 6 feet away. Our internet download speed is over 350 mb/s.

I hope the next system software update fixes the problem, but I don't know when that will be.
post #4760 of 5904 Old 02-25-2020, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just set up my new 75x950g. Adjusted the picture settings and I must say it's phenomenal. Set my audio through toslink from tv to my avr since I don't need anything above dd and dts 5.1. An update to Android 9 is available but no way I'm going to install it since I haven't heard anything good about it. In-built apps work without problems, 4k hdr in YouTube looks incredible, Plex app streams everything from my pc, PlayStation 4 games are awesome...No problems whatsoever (yet) Loving this set.

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk
post #4761 of 5904 Old 02-25-2020, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian1683 View Post
Does anyone know if the main board for an 55” is the same for an 85”? I had mine replaced and they were different part numbers and Sony said they are all the same. But I’ve been having audio and video issues ever since.

The 55, 65, 75, and 85 all use the same mainboard. It is the following part.

Part number: A-2229-109-A (Main Cba) Compl Svc Bm3j19_uc_sb

If you have any questions about this TV, just send a message. If I put up any advanced information about Sony TVs here, my messages just get deleted by mods.
post #4762 of 5904 Old 02-25-2020, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
What do you think after the calibration?

The Netflix calibration he does looks better (IMO) than just using the Netflix mode in the TV settings. I made a slight adjustment to increase the saturation slightly. The main calibrations looks better than out of the box and look good. My cable in the apartment I'm in temporarily (Charter/Spectrum) is so bad the HD CBS channel can look like SD: appears to be major compression issues, so hard to really judge it. But overall, good. When I first got my Panny plasma 11 years ago I went all in and found a calibration thread on here, then purchased a colorimeter and software and spent a Saturday doing the full calibration from the service menu. I'm tempted to try that on this one (though I can't believe there are no calibration threads on the 950G system on here!) Remember these calibrations don't go into the menus and do deep level color and grayscale calibration.
post #4763 of 5904 Old 02-25-2020, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
I purchased a 65” Sony X950G from Best Buy on 11-20-19. Up until about 3 weeks ago I had no issues with it. All of the current problems seem to be with the Android software. When watching programs using the smart apps like Netflix and Amazon Prime, the picture often freezes while the audio is still playing. The freeze can last for about 10 seconds or longer before the video starts again. Sometimes it doesn’t unfreeze at all, and I have to stop and restart the program I was watching. Also, sometimes the audio is not in sync with the video, where the video is several seconds behind the audio. I tried resetting the software several times. I put the TV on a static IP address. I have a high-end Netgear router that is fairly close to the TV. I have no issues with my other devices that use wifi so I’m sure it’s not a wifi issue. I have a 4K Firestick connected to the TV. I can play all of the exact same programs like Netflix and Amazon Prime on the Firestick with no issues what so ever. So, no doubt it’s the TV. I owned a Panasonic TC-P60GT50 for 7 issue free years. So it’s so frustrating to have this problem on a new TV. Any suggestions, advice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by parnass View Post
We bought the same model (65X950G) Sony TV from Best Buy in August 2019 and experienced the same problems you described after the system software update.

We have a radio controlled clock situated on the wall above the TV and noticed that the TV video freezes exactly on every hour and half hour. The sound continues while the video is frozen, but they both eventually sync up. The longest freeze occurs on the hour, with a shorter freeze on the half hour. This happens when using the internal Hulu app, not with over the air TV. I don't recall whether the freezes occur with other apps (e.g., Prime, Netflix, ...)

Our Sony TV is connected by wire directly to an Xfinity provided modem located about 6 feet away. Our internet download speed is over 350 mb/s.

I hope the next system software update fixes the problem, but I don't know when that will be.

You may or may not find this helpful.

Article ID : 00232300 / Last Modified : 02/11/2020

Live streaming pauses or buffers

You need a stable internet connection to stream live content such as Hulu® Live, Sling™ TV, or YouTube TV™ service, etc. At minimum, the internet download speed should be greater than 15Mbps for 4K streaming. Some companies recommend at least 25 Mbps. Also, some internet service providers (ISPs) deliver content in large data bursts that may not be suitable for live content streaming despite the large bandwidth.

Make sure you have sufficient internal storage to store on-demand and real-time content data.

To do that, go to: Settings → Storage&Reset → Internal shared storage. Confirm that at least 3 - 5 Gbytes is available. The more apps that are installed the less the available storage capacity.

Real-time live streaming uses less memory to store data, but it needs to be constantly replenished as opposed to the on-demand streaming that is delivered less frequently, but in larger data packets.

If Sling Live TV displays an error message like 1-1xx (examples: 1-100, 1-104, etc) on your TV, visit the Sling Help site for troubleshooting steps that may help you resolve your issue.

Note: If you have a Netflix® subscription, you can monitor the stability of your connection (over time in real-time) to the internet. On your TV remote, press the Display button while streaming any on-demand content from Netflix. If your connection bandwidth fluctuates for on-demand content, it is highly likely you will see real-time live content delivery issues like pausing, content interruption, etc.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW, Sony XBR 85X 850G, Sony UBP-X800M2, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A
post #4764 of 5904 Old 02-25-2020, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflackey View Post
The Netflix calibration he does looks better (IMO) than just using the Netflix mode in the TV settings. I made a slight adjustment to increase the saturation slightly. The main calibrations looks better than out of the box and look good. My cable in the apartment I'm in temporarily (Charter/Spectrum) is so bad the HD CBS channel can look like SD: appears to be major compression issues, so hard to really judge it. But overall, good. When I first got my Panny plasma 11 years ago I went all in and found a calibration thread on here, then purchased a colorimeter and software and spent a Saturday doing the full calibration from the service menu. I'm tempted to try that on this one (though I can't believe there are no calibration threads on the 950G system on here!) Remember these calibrations don't go into the menus and do deep level color and grayscale calibration.
Netflix picture mode on the TV is horrible. Way too dark and dull. Fade's settings are definitely better.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #4765 of 5904 Old 02-26-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post
You say it's not a WiFi issue but I'll bet it is. WiFi signal strength can vary so much over a short distance. Just for a test I'd try to hardwire the network connection. If that doesn't fix the problem then you know it's the TV and need to get Sony to fix it.
I'm confident that is not a wifi issue. I have many devices that use wifi and not one of the other devices have a problem with wifi. I tried rebooting my router several times, and I put the TV on a static IP address to no avail. Besides, during the first few weeks of ownership, I did not have this problem. If it was the wifi it should of happened from the beginning.
post #4766 of 5904 Old 02-26-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parnass View Post

I never noticed the time intervals the video freezes. I have Xfinity X1, but I don't use their devices. I have my own high-end Netgear router and modem. I get a strong signal throughout my 2 story house, basement and backyard. The router is close to the TV. I mentioned I did resets, but I called Sony yesterday for assistance and they had me do a full factory reset. What I did before was a reset in the settings. Sony rep had me hold the power and volume down buttons at the same time in the back left of the TV, and plug in the TV while still pressing down the buttons. You'll see a green light where the power light in the front is. It takes you back to where you first set it up. Then you you have to set up all of your programs again. Anyway after doing that I watched a hour long program on Netflix and another hour long program on Amazon Prime. Neither time did the picture freeze. I'm hoping the issue is resolved, but I'll watch more programs later today and see what happens. I'll let you know how it pans out.
post #4767 of 5904 Old 02-26-2020, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I asked a while back if anyone here find the gamma and color volume light or low on this set? All reviews point out these. Can anyone please comment? Specially if you had a 900f before this set.
Thanks!
post #4768 of 5904 Old 02-26-2020, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 119
This set continues to impress me. I just rewatched GoT's The Long Night, which is a torture test for dark scenes and shadow detail, and this set flexed its ability to display superb shadow detail. I remember the first time I watched this episode, albeit on HBO's streaming fraught with compression artifacts, and thinking how hard it was to take in what was happening. But this set helped me enjoy that episode a lot more on my second watch (no pun intended).
dturturro likes this.

LG OLED55C7P | Sony 75X950G | LG UP970 | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121
post #4769 of 5904 Old 02-26-2020, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post
I asked a while back if anyone here find the gamma and color volume light or low on this set? All reviews point out these. Can anyone please comment? Specially if you had a 900f before this set.
Thanks!
I think you mean contrast, not gamma. I have never really seen anyone complaining about the gamma. I keep my gamma at default. And yes, this tv has worse constrast than the 900e and f. Hopefully the H model is better.
post #4770 of 5904 Old 02-26-2020, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 5
can someone point out the posts where there is calibration setting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolby atmos , sony 950g 85" , x95g

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version