2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 163 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2056Likes

post #4861 of 5904 Old 03-05-2020, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by busht4169 View Post
Hi all,
75" 950G owner here and I searched yet couldn't find a quick answer.
Two things:
Aside from Sony's website explanation - can someone detail what X-Tended Dynamic Range Pro is on my 950G and what the appropriate use case(s) would be?
Same for the Live Color feature? I have my TV calibrated but wonder if when using both or neither feature is useful.

Thank you all.
The X-Tended Dynamic Range basically expands colors on the image to create more contrast. For example, dark red would be like super dark red, light blue becomes really light blue, etc. It's just an artificial way to add "pop".

It won't be the correct image, but if you like more "pop" or artificial depth to the image, it will add that on for you.

Live Color is also similar in the fact it adds more color saturation.

These features aren't for everyone, especially those who want a more natural or correct image. But there are a lot of people who prefer super saturated pictures and both of those options will provide that.

Sony XBR-75X950G, Denon AVR-X2300W, Polk CS20 Center, Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, Polk TSI300 Rears, Power Sound Audio S1500 Subwoofer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 5904 Old 03-05-2020, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post
The X-Tended Dynamic Range basically expands colors on the image to create more contrast. For example, dark red would be like super dark red, light blue becomes really light blue, etc. It's just an artificial way to add "pop".

It won't be the correct image, but if you like more "pop" or artificial depth to the image, it will add that on for you.

Live Color is also similar in the fact it adds more color saturation.

These features aren't for everyone, especially those who want a more natural or correct image. But there are a lot of people who prefer super saturated pictures and both of those options will provide that.
Really appreciate the help. That is the most useful response and I really am grateful.

Have a good one.
post #4863 of 5904 Old 03-05-2020, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Extended dynamic range not affect on color it only brightness corrector of object that make light themselves, so it's very useful for HDR content as a live colour too because in HDR content RGB became yuv420 so you loose some colour information and pictures looks dool and dark, my settings for HDR it's live colour and extended dynamic range on MAX, but the contrast and black enhancements turn OFF because they are not good for details))) sorry for my English!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4864 of 5904 Old 03-05-2020, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My current TV is a Samsung HU8550 that I bought in 2014, it’s 4K and puts out a great picture but since it’s 6 years old now, I’m getting an itch to upgrade. I’ve been checking out this Sony, even through I’ve been happy with Samsung, no DV has pushed me away from their TVs. rtings rates this 950G and my TV very similarly, my question is do you think I’d notice a significant picture upgrade from my current TV?

Ascend Sierra-2 LCR
Ascend HTM-200 Surrounds
Rythmic E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung HU8550
post #4865 of 5904 Old 03-05-2020, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Calibration help wanted!

Just bought an X950H, and having trouble figuring out the X950G style settings menu, hoping a 950G user could help me.

My old TV was an X900F, which had indipendent settings for every source and every picture mode. The only settings that could only be entered once were the 10 point color temp presets...the X900F had independent 2 point settings stored in each picture mode and different for every source and mode. The X950H doesn;t seem to follow this behavior, as I calibrated several poicture modes, and changed the color temp presets, but the 2 point gai and bia adjustments for any mode seem to follow me like a stalker. Making it very hard to have different calibratons for 2.2, 1886, or HDR, when I need to change the 2 point settings every time I want to adjust the content I am watching.

Are the 2 point gain and bias adjustments TV wide, source wide, what am I looking at? :-\

Paul

Sony X950H SDR and HDR Calibration setting https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post59249362

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibration settings https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #4866 of 5904 Old 03-06-2020, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by PernusGre View Post
Does anyone here use Plex app on this set (installed directly to the tv)? I got my x950g last week, haven't updated to android 9 yet since I saw posts about some issues after updating. The in-built apps work without problems, Netflix, Youtube etc. But Plex stops everytime I try to direct play a video from my win 10 pc. The streaming works everytime but if I want to pause it by bringing up the player menu with the controls, it throws an error "Playback has stopped because the connection to the Plex Media Server has been lost". Happens on every file. Tried reinstalling the android app (also updated today to the newest version), and set up my pc Plex server from scratch. Nothing helps. The only way to watch my videos is by watching them from the start till the end without pausing. Tried to stream to my android phone, everything works without problems. So how is your experience with Plex if you're using the app on the tv? Thank you for help.
Plex sucks. Period.

The Android TV app is one of the worst abominations I've seen in a very long time. Your issue is not only common, it should be listed as a "feature" for that version. I also have a TON of lip-sync issues using the Android TV client for Plex while the issue doesn't occur on other clients ever.

I tried Emby as a replacement and had zero issues with streaming using the native app for it. Emby has its own laundry list of issues, though, and in the end I just stuck with Plex because I already own the lifetime pass.

I have had to post-process ALL of my BluRay ripped content in order to get it to stream reliably.
post #4867 of 5904 Old 03-06-2020, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Алексей Шарапов View Post
Extended dynamic range not affect on color it only brightness corrector of object that make light themselves, so it's very useful for HDR content as a live colour too because in HDR content RGB became yuv420 so you loose some colour information and pictures looks dool and dark, my settings for HDR it's live colour and extended dynamic range on MAX, but the contrast and black enhancements turn OFF because they are not good for details))) sorry for my English!
Going to have to "correct" you there. X-tended dynamic range is NOT a brightness "corrector". It adds artificial depth, as I said. It's clearly apparent if you use it while using it on a PC desktop and look at icons or anything, really. You know how they're supposed to look and X-tended dynamic range makes them look NOT like that.

A "corrector" would imply the image is wrong in the first place and X-tended dynamic range is fixing it. That is not the case at all. The image is correct when X-tended dynamic range is disabled. At least, definitely when you're using SDR. (I have mine on for HDR but not SDR, because I do like HDR to "pop".)

Same thing goes for "live color". Yeah, you may "lose" color information in YUV 4:2:0, but the final product arrives on the disc or streaming service already aware of the color loss. The "correct" picture is without live color on. Live color will make things more saturated whether you're viewing 4:2:0, 4:4:4 or RGB, as well. It is NOT the correct image.

Both options are enhancements. Plain and simple. Not "correctors".

Sony XBR-75X950G, Denon AVR-X2300W, Polk CS20 Center, Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, Polk TSI300 Rears, Power Sound Audio S1500 Subwoofer.
post #4868 of 5904 Old 03-06-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ÐÐ»ÐµÐºÑ ÐµÐ¹ ШараÐ& #191;ов View Post
Going to have to "correct" you there. X-tended dynamic range is NOT a brightness "corrector". It adds artificial depth, as I said. It's clearly apparent if you use it while using it on a PC desktop and look at icons or anything, really. You know how they're supposed to look and X-tended dynamic range makes them look NOT like that.

A "corrector" would imply the image is wrong in the first place and X-tended dynamic range is fixing it. That is not the case at all. The image is correct when X-tended dynamic range is disabled. At least, definitely when you're using SDR. (I have mine on for HDR but not SDR, because I do like HDR to "pop".)

Same thing goes for "live color". Yeah, you may "lose" color information in YUV 4:2:0, but the final product arrives on the disc or streaming service already aware of the color loss. The "correct" picture is without live color on. Live color will make things more saturated whether you're viewing 4:2:0, 4:4:4 or RGB, as well. It is NOT the correct image.

Both options are enhancements. Plain and simple. Not "correctors".
i do not know English well, so maybe not correctors))), my message was that the Sony make some kind a reserve by this options (xdr and live color) for DV content, because in DV this options enabled automatically even on MAX in vivid mode and it's not crash the picture i appreciate that sony can make work, it's a big deal!! So i try to do so in ordinary HDR content like "Gimini man" or "Avatar regrade 4000 nit" i put xdr and live color to MAX and it's just make it much brighter no color distortion or something like that, so i ask you to try so and then write an answer
post #4869 of 5904 Old 03-07-2020, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would just like to inform anyone who doesn't know it yet, the feet of this set can be swapped (without any modification) so it takes less space on a table. The feet have a space for notches but the set doesn't have notches. The distance between feet is about 90cm (~35 inches) for a 75" set.

http://imgur.com/a/pdML5Xd

Last edited by PernusGre; 03-07-2020 at 05:46 AM.
post #4870 of 5904 Old 03-07-2020, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by PernusGre View Post
I would just like to inform anyone who doesn't know it yet, the feet of this set can be swapped (without any modification) so it takes less space on a table. The feet have a space for notches but the set doesn't have notches. The distance between feet is about 90cm (~35 inches) for a 75" set.

http://imgur.com/a/pdML5Xd
You lose some stability and it looks awkward. My 85" feet hung over my console about an inch on both sides I just hung it on the wall.
post #4871 of 5904 Old 03-07-2020, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7475 Post(s)
Liked: 7514
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
I don't think that's the best advise.
Well the other option is to swap the set and potentially get something worse chasing the rabbit whole of perfection. To each his own though, these sets are not cheap......

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post
You lose some stability and it looks awkward. My 85" feet hung over my console about an inch on both sides I just hung it on the wall.
Great answer Anyone is this boat, this is a great cheap mount click here
post #4872 of 5904 Old 03-07-2020, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I just got the 85 and looking for settings but not seeing them anywhere? Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks!
post #4873 of 5904 Old 03-07-2020, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Great answer Anyone is this boat, this is a great cheap mount click here
Don't know if people realize Sony gives instructions to anchor the set to wall even when using the feet. I never anchored my 75" Samsung but this 85" just lacked the same stability. Wall mounting is a much cleaner look (only if you install wire/cables in wall) and allows the set to be moved back farther. I tend to stick with Sanus mounts 85" is on a tilt mount although only about 30" off the floor tilting just slightly makes a difference. Every set in my home is wall mounted.
post #4874 of 5904 Old 03-07-2020, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post
I just got the 85 and looking for settings but not seeing them anywhere? Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks!
Don't understand why people want settings everyone's taste is different, everyone's sources are different. It's best to know what each setting does and use your own eyes to decide. You can certainly Google settings and experiment not a whole lot out there though.
post #4875 of 5904 Old 03-07-2020, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Why not?? That’s what people do, someone calibrate their sets and shares it with the community, I know is not going to work 💯 with my set but hey!!
post #4876 of 5904 Old 03-07-2020, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chura View Post
I got the TV installed, what an amazing peace of electronics

2. I need way to stream files from DMB share that is DolbyVision and HDR10. Tried to install Kodi/VLC and they play the file, but I can't see DV on the picture settings so its not delivering

Which Ver of Kodi are you using? There is a beta under the windows forum. Give that a try, I use it.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #4877 of 5904 Old 03-07-2020, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chura View Post
Files on PC, with kodi but it can’t play HDR so looking for other way to see that.

Yes it can
Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Windows API

https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59
Chura likes this.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #4878 of 5904 Old 03-07-2020, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked: 3938
Quote:
Why not?? That’s what people do, someone calibrate their sets and shares it with the community, I know is not going to work 💯 with my set but hey!!
One can always ask the settings-giver if his/her preference is saturated or cinematic. That could save some aggravation.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #4879 of 5904 Old 03-07-2020, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Calibration is different than just copying someone's settings. I didn't say you couldn't I actually recommended you use Google but nothing you can't experiment with on your own.
post #4880 of 5904 Old 03-07-2020, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dousmith111 View Post
can someone point out the posts where there is calibration setting
I would be happy to share the resultant charts of my calibration but that does no good for someone with the same model 950G due to the difference in display placement and the amount of light reaching the display at the time of calibration. Calibration is completed under the conditions and environment of the display. I am not understanding why anyone would want the calibration settings for an environment that their display does not live in.

Steve Douglas, McIntosh 8207 amp, Anthem AVM-60, Anthem MCA 50 amp, Aerial Acoustics 10T, CC3 center, 5s and SR3 dipole/bipole, 18"Velodyne Sub
Sony 85" 950G, 4 Paradigm Cinema 100 2.0 System and OPPO 203 Blu-ray deck
post #4881 of 5904 Old 03-07-2020, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Anyone know how to get Airplay working on a Macbook? My TV is displaying a giant QR code and telling me to scan it...how do I scan it with a Mac?

Paul

Sony X950H SDR and HDR Calibration setting https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post59249362

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibration settings https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #4882 of 5904 Old 03-08-2020, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got 3 years warranty for my XG95, I was offered to extent it to 7 years for 400$
Would you consider this ? (to set into perspective, its 13% of the price I paid for the screen)
post #4883 of 5904 Old 03-08-2020, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Connected my Bluetooth headphones to my 950G and I see lip sync issue when using Netflix.

Tv settings:
Sound mode sync is Off
AV Sync is On

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
post #4884 of 5904 Old 03-09-2020, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencc3 View Post
I think you mean contrast, not gamma. I have never really seen anyone complaining about the gamma. I keep my gamma at default. And yes, this tv has worse constrast than the 900e and f. Hopefully the H model is better.

H will only have worse contrast then G in 55" and 65" because of x-wide viewing angle which you experienced with the G in 75". Btw were you happy with 65" or did you return it aswell? On avforums there are already owners of XH and there is one guy who has 49" XF and 49" XH and he said there is barely any improvement, same TV except for faster menus and android, same dimming zones, so XH from 55" on is likely going to be the same as XG in 75" with more fancy menues and better sound.
post #4885 of 5904 Old 03-09-2020, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMak00 View Post
Connected my Bluetooth headphones to my 950G and I see lip sync issue when using Netflix.

Tv settings:
Sound mode sync is Off
AV Sync is On

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I have sync mode to ON and do not noticed lip sync with Netflix but do have issues with HDMI connected devices through my receiver. Lucky I mostly use KODI from my PC and was able to set a delay in KODI to solve that issue. My problem is at first every time I power on my headphones, the TV would always connect. Now its like more 20/80 on if the head phones will reconnect. I have to go into settings on the TV and tell it to forget, then re sync and or reset the TV trough the options. Is AV sync set On or auto? If auto is does not work in some picture modes such as game/photo/graphics.

Last edited by mpg7321; 03-09-2020 at 08:40 AM.
post #4886 of 5904 Old 03-09-2020, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 28

I have been using this VS for a while now. Benn very happy with it. They did a good job on HDR.
Dr_Mark likes this.
post #4887 of 5904 Old 03-09-2020, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyform View Post
Quote:
I think you mean contrast, not gamma. I have never really seen anyone complaining about the gamma. I keep my gamma at default. And yes, this tv has worse constrast than the 900e and f. Hopefully the H model is better.

H will only have worse contrast then G in 55" and 65" because of x-wide viewing angle which you experienced with the G in 75". Btw were you happy with 65" or did you return it aswell? On avforums there are already owners of XH and there is one guy who has 49" XF and 49" XH and he said there is barely any improvement, same TV except for faster menus and android, same dimming zones, so XH from 55" on is likely going to be the same as XG in 75" with more fancy menues and better sound.
I kept the 65”. Same ol tv with the EXACT same issues as the 55”. Blooming and all are exactly the same. Was hoping it would be a little bit better. I don’t know what’s going on with Sony. They seem to be slacking pretty hard. And why does the 900h seem like the better tv to buy over the 950h. The 900 does not have x-wide, but that is what to not like about the 950. VRR, ALLM, HDMI 2.1 will all be on the 900. The 950 supposedly gets none of those and will more than likely continue to have trash contrast ratio. Samsung May be getting some money from me this year. May buy a Q80R.
post #4888 of 5904 Old 03-09-2020, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I kept the 65”. Same ol tv with the EXACT same issues as the 55”. Blooming and all are exactly the same. Was hoping it would be a little bit better. I don’t know what’s going on with Sony. They seem to be slacking pretty hard. And why does the 900h seem like the better tv to buy over the 950h. The 900 does not have x-wide, but that is what to not like about the 950. VRR, ALLM, HDMI 2.1 will all be on the 900. The 950 supposedly gets none of those and will more than likely continue to have trash contrast ratio. Samsung May be getting some money from me this year. May buy a Q80R.
Samsung has their issues bad DSE being one of them I opted for the 85" X950G over the Samsung. I don't have any bad blooming or an issue with lack of contrast.
post #4889 of 5904 Old 03-09-2020, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Having a hard time pairing my DTV box with the Sony remote... anyone care to share?
post #4890 of 5904 Old 03-10-2020, 07:43 AM

X950G Blank screen for several minutes

Hello, I'm new to the forum so forgive me if this has been brought up already, I couldn't find much about this issue with this specific model TV:

I purchased the X950G at Best Buy back in December and have had periodic issues with a blank screen when powering on. The issue is more likely to happen after the TV has been off (standby?) for several hours. I turn the TV on with the remote and I can see the back light come on and I can hear menu sounds if I move around, just can't see anything - no menu or input labels - nothing. I've since learned that if I just let it sit for 4-5 minutes, the screen comes on and all is normal again. Unplugging the TV from the wall for several seconds and plugging back in doesn't resolve this either.

I feel like the issue has progressed from when I since purchased the unit, but I've been pretty busy as this is a new house and perhaps I just didn't notice it at first. And once the TV is on and working, I don't think I've ever lost the picture until the unit has been off for several hours.

I spoke with Sony support, and the first tech remoted in and made some video changes and suggested a factory reset (which I did prior to making the call). Of course, as the TV had been on, there wasn't an easy way to test this until it had been off overnight. Issue returned and I called back in. Tech #2 checked firmware version, I'm running PKG6.3590.0512NAA, which he said is the latest.

Tech #2 came back and said this was a known issue with this firmware and that they were working on fixing this in the next release, though he couldn't provide an ETA.

Is anyone else seeing this issue? I worry that I have an underlying hardware problem that is getting worse. If that is the case, I don't want to miss the warranty period to get this fixed or replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolby atmos , sony 950g 85" , x95g

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page