2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 164 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2123Likes

post #4891 of 6032 Old 03-10-2020, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Black screen is not an issue with the current firmware. They are just lying to you. Also, PKG6.3590.0512NAA is not the latest. It is the first Android 9 package. The firmware you can download on the Sony website is a newer, which is package PKG6.3598.0516NA. This is the second, and newer Android 9 package. You have to update through USB, since you already have the first Android 9 package, so it says "you have the latest firmware" already. Just download the firmware on the Sony website, and update through USB. After this, your TV will show you have package PKG6.3598.0516NA installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4892 of 6032 Old 03-10-2020, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post
Having a hard time pairing my DTV box with the Sony remote... anyone care to share?
Why are you doing that? Program the DTV remote to operate the TV.
post #4893 of 6032 Old 03-10-2020, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I lost the dtv remote 😞
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4894 of 6032 Old 03-10-2020, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 3991
Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post
I lost the dtv remote 😞
Get another one.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #4895 of 6032 Old 03-10-2020, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jte316 View Post
Hello, I'm new to the forum so forgive me if this has been brought up already, I couldn't find much about this issue with this specific model TV:

I purchased the X950G at Best Buy back in December and have had periodic issues with a blank screen when powering on. The issue is more likely to happen after the TV has been off (standby?) for several hours. I turn the TV on with the remote and I can see the back light come on and I can hear menu sounds if I move around, just can't see anything - no menu or input labels - nothing. I've since learned that if I just let it sit for 4-5 minutes, the screen comes on and all is normal again. Unplugging the TV from the wall for several seconds and plugging back in doesn't resolve this either.

I feel like the issue has progressed from when I since purchased the unit, but I've been pretty busy as this is a new house and perhaps I just didn't notice it at first. And once the TV is on and working, I don't think I've ever lost the picture until the unit has been off for several hours.

I spoke with Sony support, and the first tech remoted in and made some video changes and suggested a factory reset (which I did prior to making the call). Of course, as the TV had been on, there wasn't an easy way to test this until it had been off overnight. Issue returned and I called back in. Tech #2 checked firmware version, I'm running PKG6.3590.0512NAA, which he said is the latest.

Tech #2 came back and said this was a known issue with this firmware and that they were working on fixing this in the next release, though he couldn't provide an ETA.

Is anyone else seeing this issue? I worry that I have an underlying hardware problem that is getting worse. If that is the case, I don't want to miss the warranty period to get this fixed or replaced.

I noticed that more often when I played around with audio settings of the TV. Are you using eARC? If not try turning that off.
post #4896 of 6032 Old 03-11-2020, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Hello, I'm new to the forum so forgive me if this has been brought up already, I couldn't find much about this issue with this specific model TV:

I purchased the X950G at Best Buy back in December and have had periodic issues with a blank screen when powering on. The issue is more likely to happen after the TV has been off (standby?) for several hours. I turn the TV on with the remote and I can see the back light come on and I can hear menu sounds if I move around, just can't see anything - no menu or input labels - nothing. I've since learned that if I just let it sit for 4-5 minutes, the screen comes on and all is normal again. Unplugging the TV from the wall for several seconds and plugging back in doesn't resolve this either.

I feel like the issue has progressed from when I since purchased the unit, but I've been pretty busy as this is a new house and perhaps I just didn't notice it at first. And once the TV is on and working, I don't think I've ever lost the picture until the unit has been off for several hours.

I spoke with Sony support, and the first tech remoted in and made some video changes and suggested a factory reset (which I did prior to making the call). Of course, as the TV had been on, there wasn't an easy way to test this until it had been off overnight. Issue returned and I called back in. Tech #2 checked firmware version, I'm running PKG6.3590.0512NAA, which he said is the latest.

Tech #2 came back and said this was a known issue with this firmware and that they were working on fixing this in the next release, though he couldn't provide an ETA.

Is anyone else seeing this issue? I worry that I have an underlying hardware problem that is getting worse. If that is the case, I don't want to miss the warranty period to get this fixed or replaced.

I posted a similar issue above with no response!

I am having an issue with the HDMI 1 and a Verizon One DVR connection to the tv (65" 950G).

Get no signal on the TV consistently every few days when the TV is first turned on. I would unplug the HDMI cable and then plug back in at the one box and the TV signal comes back.

Thought at first that the issue was with the One box. I would force a restart by unplugging power to the one box, wait, and then plug the unit back in. After doing that a few times realized that restarting the One box alone does not correct the problem. The issue comes back after a few days.

then did the following.

Swapped a new ONE box
Tried a new high-end HDMI cable connection
Checked to make sure the cable was inserted all the way in on both ends.
TV Software version up to date

Is there an issue with the TV in regards to loosing HDMI connection out there? I do not think that it is the One box at this point after the steps taken above (or is there)?

Rick
post #4897 of 6032 Old 03-11-2020, 07:47 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0725 View Post
I posted a similar issue above with no response!

I am having an issue with the HDMI 1 and a Verizon One DVR connection to the tv (65" 950G).

Get no signal on the TV consistently every few days when the TV is first turned on. I would unplug the HDMI cable and then plug back in at the one box and the TV signal comes back.

Thought at first that the issue was with the One box. I would force a restart by unplugging power to the one box, wait, and then plug the unit back in. After doing that a few times realized that restarting the One box alone does not correct the problem. The issue comes back after a few days.

then did the following.

Swapped a new ONE box
Tried a new high-end HDMI cable connection
Checked to make sure the cable was inserted all the way in on both ends.
TV Software version up to date

Is there an issue with the TV in regards to loosing HDMI connection out there? I do not think that it is the One box at this point after the steps taken above (or is there)?

Rick
Do you get a home screen when this happens? I can hit the home button and can hear the sounds as I navigate around, just don't get a picture. This morning when I turned the TV on for the first time and got the blank screen, I quickly turned it back off and tried disconnecting the eARC cable that goes to the sound bar. Turned the TV back on and instant picture. Turned back off, connected eARC, turned TV back on and instant picture.

I guess I'll try leaving the eARC disconnected and see what happens after the TV has been off for several hours.
post #4898 of 6032 Old 03-11-2020, 07:52 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg7321 View Post
I noticed that more often when I played around with audio settings of the TV. Are you using eARC? If not try turning that off.
Yes, I have an eARC connection to my sound bar. I'll try experimenting with disconnecting that to see if it resolves the issue - but if it does, what then? I don't want to have to mess with HDMI cables every time I want to turn the TV on. I'm afraid Sony is gonna stick with the known issue line they gave me and tell me to wait for a firmware release.

Someone else mentioned a newer firmware on the website that I'll have to update via USB. I'll try that after experimenting with eARC.
post #4899 of 6032 Old 03-11-2020, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7493 Post(s)
Liked: 7531
Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post
Don't know if people realize Sony gives instructions to anchor the set to wall even when using the feet. I never anchored my 75" Samsung but this 85" just lacked the same stability. Wall mounting is a much cleaner look (only if you install wire/cables in wall) and allows the set to be moved back farther. I tend to stick with Sanus mounts 85" is on a tilt mount although only about 30" off the floor tilting just slightly makes a difference. Every set in my home is wall mounted.
You are right, you wall mount a TV the odds are it is not coming down, while you set the TV on a stand it is more prone to falling over and Sony covers there butts by putting that disclaimer in.

Quote:
Yes, I have an eARC connection to my sound bar. I'll try experimenting with disconnecting that to see if it resolves the issue - but if it does, what then? I don't want to have to mess with HDMI cables every time I want to turn the TV on. I'm afraid Sony is gonna stick with the known issue line they gave me and tell me to wait for a firmware release.

Someone else mentioned a newer firmware on the website that I'll have to update via USB. I'll try that after experimenting with eARC.
The problem is eARC either works or it does not. Sometimes even though it works, at a later point it may not. It is not only Sony who has issues, its almost every manufacturer from time to time.
post #4900 of 6032 Old 03-11-2020, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencc3 View Post
I kept the 65”. Same ol tv with the EXACT same issues as the 55”. Blooming and all are exactly the same. Was hoping it would be a little bit better. I don’️t know what’️s going on with Sony. They seem to be slacking pretty hard. And why does the 900h seem like the better tv to buy over the 950h. The 900 does not have x-wide, but that is what to not like about the 950. VRR, ALLM, HDMI 2.1 will all be on the 900. The 950 supposedly gets none of those and will more than likely continue to have trash contrast ratio. Samsung May be getting some money from me this year. May buy a Q80R.
Samsung has their issues bad DSE being one of them I opted for the 85" X950G over the Samsung. I don't have any bad blooming or an issue with lack of contrast.
This tv is not free of issues and is the worst Sony TV I have ever purchased. 2019 was a bad/lazy year for Sony. I am hoping that they can redeem themselves in 2020, but it ain’t looking so good. If they continue in the direction that they are heading, I will definitely be switching to Samsung. I love Sony for the more natural colors and motion handling. The problem is that neither of these are up to par with the Sony I bought two years ago. If you are happy with your tv, I am happy for you but this just tells me that you are not into TVs like I am. I notice every flaw that there is and am not happy with the 950g, just content. If the 900H or 950H turns out to be GREAT, I will definitely buy one. If contrast, blooming, and motion continue to be an issue, I will probably try the Q80T. Only time will tell, wish the reviews would hurry up and come out already.
post #4901 of 6032 Old 03-11-2020, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
When I have checked out the 950G I didn’t notice any issues with blooming, motion or contrast, the picture quality was outstanding and overall seemed close to OLED. My only issue with the Sony has been around software, the TV was freezing and crashing the whole time and had to be powered off then on to get it working again. My viewing was done in store but this was common at the 2 different stores, both sales rep said it’s “normal” The picture quality was outstanding, it does concern me that at the end of the 950G shelve life it seems to be pledged with software issue that Sony hasn’t figured out yet.

Ascend Sierra-2 LCR
Ascend HTM-200 Surrounds
Rythmic E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung HU8550
post #4902 of 6032 Old 03-11-2020, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Do you get a home screen when this happens? I can hit the home button and can hear the sounds as I navigate around, just don't get a picture. This morning when I turned the TV on for the first time and got the blank screen, I quickly turned it back off and tried disconnecting the eARC cable that goes to the sound bar. Turned the TV back on and instant picture. Turned back off, connected eARC, turned TV back on and instant picture.

I guess I'll try leaving the eARC disconnected and see what happens after the TV has been off for several hours.
The TV goes directly to the Verizon input (HDMI 1) at power on with a no signal message lower right on screen.

I can go a couple days with no problems then the issue repeats. I disconnect the hdmi cable then plug it back in and get a picture.

I had an issue with eARC also (being inconsistent) and stopped using it.

Last edited by Rick0725; 03-11-2020 at 11:22 AM.
post #4903 of 6032 Old 03-11-2020, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
If you are happy with your tv, I am happy for you but this just tells me that you are not into TVs like I am. I notice every flaw that there is and am not happy with the 950g, just content.
Wrong I've been anal about picture quality probably longer than you are old. If I had any of the issues you're complaining about I would have not kept the Sony.
post #4904 of 6032 Old 03-11-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Wrong I've been anal about picture quality probably longer than you are old. If I had any of the issues you're complaining about I would have not kept the Sony.
You do realize that we have totally different TV sets, right?
post #4905 of 6032 Old 03-13-2020, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Folks,
Is there a way to stream Redbox On Demand on this TV?
I have an Xbox One S if that helps.

Thanks.

TV: Sony X930D 65" & Sony X950G 75"
post #4906 of 6032 Old 03-13-2020, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
You do realize that we have totally different TV sets, right?

If your not happy with the TV then get a different TV. Therese no other way to make you happy. Though I am willing to bet there is not a TV out there that you will not have some thing to complain about. No TV seems to be perfect any more, but at least you will be on a different forum complaining.
post #4907 of 6032 Old 03-13-2020, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Just curious how people find the viewing angles on this tv (65/55 versions). I'm looking at possibly buying one of these. I looked in the store and they seem decent.
post #4908 of 6032 Old 03-15-2020, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 72
so i assume gamma 0 is targeting 2.2 on this TV?
post #4909 of 6032 Old 03-15-2020, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegam3 View Post
so i assume gamma 0 is targeting 2.2 on this TV?
Yes. It is also the setting if you want to do manual calibration. You later change it to -2 if you like.
thegam3 likes this.
post #4910 of 6032 Old 03-15-2020, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 3991
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_42 View Post
Just curious how people find the viewing angles on this tv (65/55 versions). I'm looking at possibly buying one of these. I looked in the store and they seem decent.
2019 Sony X950G 55", 65" do not have X-Wide Angle, which allows for slightly better contrast and straight on viewing.

FYI 2020 Sony X950H will have X-Wide Angle on 55" through 85".

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #4911 of 6032 Old 03-15-2020, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNEWoLF View Post
Curious, this thread gets a little more activity than the 850G thread. Since they both have a similar Android os. When watching a scope aspect ratio film. Example, The Patriot, Pacific Rim Uprising, Lara Craft Tomb Raider, Lara Craft Tomb Raider Cradle of Life and The Fifth Element. All films are the 4K UHD disc’s.

The films all display correctly in their respective scope AR on the screen. If you press the INFO button on the remote. It states the AR as 16:9 for each of the scope AR films above.

For ME, I prefer to watch a film in it’s original aspect ratio.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this. I don’t believe that I have a screen setting incorrectly set. As these films all display correctly in their respective AR. if others confirm that they are also experiencing this I will open a ticket with Sony. To include this in their next firmware update. I also would like to see more detailed video input and output signal info displayed as well. Similar to what the Sony 800M2 player provides would be nice.
No one else is experiencing this if you press the INFO button on the remote. It states the AR as 16:9 for each of the scope AR films above.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW, Sony XBR 85X 850G, Sony UBP-X800M2, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A
post #4912 of 6032 Old 03-15-2020, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Need a little help... basically YouTube is stuck on HDR for some reason? I’ve tried unplugging the tv resetting it and nothing... anyone else had this happened? Everything in YouTube is upscaled to HDR and it looks horrible
post #4913 of 6032 Old 03-15-2020, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
You are right, you wall mount a TV the odds are it is not coming down, while you set the TV on a stand it is more prone to falling over and Sony covers there butts by putting that disclaimer in.
Sony isn't "covering their butts", it's part of all furniture now (and TV's fall into that category) in an attempt to prevent injuries and deaths. Young children are the most susceptible to being hurt or killed by furniture that tips over onto them and anchoring straps, when used correctly, can prevent this.

Also, a wall-mounted television is MORE dangerous if it isn't installed properly. And there are plenty of examples of that out there as well.
post #4914 of 6032 Old 03-16-2020, 03:03 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just had a weird problem on my x950g where WiFi was suddenly capped at 12 Mbit/s download (don't even know for how long).

So I have my x950g (Android 8 ) connected to a 5ghz router and did a speedtest.net today when I was testing something. To my surprise the connection was capped at 12 Mbit/s on a 100 Mbit/s line. Did multiple tests and all were showing the same results. Netflix and Youtube of course couldn't go beyond 1080p resolution. I rebooted the router and the problem remained. Then I turned off TV WiFi and tried Ethernet connection, the download showed 94 Mbit/s which is the expected speed. I disconnected the Ethernet and turned on TV WiFi and speedtest showed 12Mbit/s again. I rebooted the TV and WiFi speed was back to normal (94 Mbit/s)...Is there any explanation to this or just buggy Android?

Last edited by PernusGre; 03-16-2020 at 05:41 AM.
post #4915 of 6032 Old 03-16-2020, 03:11 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 72
i gotta say moving to Sony and Android TV (i had samsung and LG before) i am really not impressed. no NOW TV, no easy BBC IPLAYER access

even the apps it does have, youtube for example, has weird artifacts that dont exist on other youtube apps (xbox or PS4).
post #4916 of 6032 Old 03-16-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg7321 View Post
If your not happy with the TV then get a different TV. Therese no other way to make you happy. Though I am willing to bet there is not a TV out there that you will not have some thing to complain about. No TV seems to be perfect any more, but at least you will be on a different forum complaining.
I agree, it may be time to switch to something better. Sony has failed to WOW people with these newer models. The 950G was a downgrade for me. At the same time, I am seeing that Samsung has also dropped some features of the 2020 Q80T compared to the 2019 Q80R. However, like I said, I will wait to see what the 900H and 950H reviews look like. If the 65" 950H can do x-wide while keeping 900E contrast ratio, I may buy one. Honestly though, it seems like the 900H may be the better TV for me. Also factoring in the PS5, which TV would be better for the console.
post #4917 of 6032 Old 03-16-2020, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Hello everyone, I was wondering, I know this TV does passthought via eArc, but does the receiver also needs to have eArc in order for the DTS or Dobly True HD to passthought?

Thank you!
post #4918 of 6032 Old 03-17-2020, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 2313
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaeldb View Post
Hello everyone, I was wondering, I know this TV does passthought via eArc, but does the receiver also needs to have eArc in order for the DTS or Dobly True HD to passthought?

Thank you!
Yes.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #4919 of 6032 Old 03-17-2020, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PernusGre View Post
I just had a weird problem on my x950g where WiFi was suddenly capped at 12 Mbit/s download (don't even know for how long).

So I have my x950g (Android 8 ) connected to a 5ghz router and did a speedtest.net today when I was testing something. To my surprise the connection was capped at 12 Mbit/s on a 100 Mbit/s line. Did multiple tests and all were showing the same results. Netflix and Youtube of course couldn't go beyond 1080p resolution. I rebooted the router and the problem remained. Then I turned off TV WiFi and tried Ethernet connection, the download showed 94 Mbit/s which is the expected speed. I disconnected the Ethernet and turned on TV WiFi and speedtest showed 12Mbit/s again. I rebooted the TV and WiFi speed was back to normal (94 Mbit/s)...Is there any explanation to this or just buggy Android?
I avoid WiFi on all TV's at all costs. Too many odd/quirky issues with it.
post #4920 of 6032 Old 03-17-2020, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by PernusGre View Post

Lots of backends had issues so it might have not been your TV at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolby atmos , sony 950g 85" , x95g

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page