2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 166 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1744Likes

post #4951 of 4991 Old 03-23-2020, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaysui View Post
Hi Everyone,

Can anyone help me test the Movies Anywhere app on their 65inch TV. Right now, any movie I try to watch on MA only that has dolby vision comes it like SD quality if not worse. Any movie that doesn't have dolby vision is just regular HDR has no issues. I just want to see if I'm the only one with problems. I contacted MA, and they said vaguely that some Sony TVs have problems, but left it at that. Many thanks!
Some apps are down grading the resolution...... To preserve bandwidth because of the higher than normal usage with everyone home

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4952 of 4991 Old 03-23-2020, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Just watched something last night and it worked fine. Issue with Sony TVs was it was not recognizing and switching to DV from time to time depending on the app version. This one works fine. What were you watching? Could be the bandwidth at the time you were watching.
Tried Aquaman, Argo, Frozen, Matrix, Man of Steel. All looked terrible, all DV. I also thought maybe bandwidth issues, so I tried in the morning and still the same thing. I am connected via wifi instead of ethernet, but my router is literally 8 feet from the TV, and my internet speed is about 100mb.

As for App version, I just recently downloaded the app, so maybe it's a crappy build? Do the Apps auto update?

Thank you for checking. What movie did you try to watch?
post #4953 of 4991 Old 03-23-2020, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked: 2222
Frozen and Mandalorian. Both looked great.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4954 of 4991 Old 03-23-2020, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Frozen and Mandalorian. Both looked great.
Thanks. Any suggestions? I also tried to delete the MA app cache. And thanks Brian_Barros. Yes I did hear that some services like Netflix was downgrading their quality, but I didn't see anything about MA. I attached a screen shot of Alita. Looks like a hot mess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200322_111115.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	796.4 KB
ID:	2700876  
post #4955 of 4991 Old 03-23-2020, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks. Any suggestions? I also tried to delete the MA app cache. And thanks Brian_Barros. Yes I did hear that some services like Netflix was downgrading their quality, but I didn't see anything about MA. I attached a screen shot of Alita. Looks like a hot mess.
Sorry I was thinking Disney+ app. Use VUDU or some other linked service for MA titles. I use VUDU, AppleTV, or GooglePlay depending on the title. Mostly VUDU.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #4956 of 4991 Old 03-23-2020, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
The problem could also be your provider, your local network, your router, your modem, etc. Remember that there are a lot of steps in between you and the provider that could be underperforming because of heavy load (and cable Internet services are a shared medium - when "the neighborhood" is busy, your speeds slow down).
post #4957 of 4991 Old 03-23-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
The problem could also be your provider, your local network, your router, your modem, etc. Remember that there are a lot of steps in between you and the provider that could be underperforming because of heavy load (and cable Internet services are a shared medium - when "the neighborhood" is busy, your speeds slow down).
But my other "non dolby vision" 4k content looks great. So it would be weird that the ISP would target only DV content.
post #4958 of 4991 Old 03-23-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Sorry I was thinking Disney+ app. Use VUDU or some other linked service for MA titles. I use VUDU, AppleTV, or GooglePlay depending on the title. Mostly VUDU.

S~
Thanks for clarifying.
post #4959 of 4991 Old 03-23-2020, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But my other "non dolby vision" 4k content looks great. So it would be weird that the ISP would target only DV content.
Why would it be weird? Bandwidth requirements are higher when you add DV information than when it isn't present. You could be crossing a threshold. Thinking they're targeting your DV content doesn't really hold water...
post #4960 of 4991 Old 03-23-2020, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Why would it be weird? Bandwidth requirements are higher when you add DV information than when it isn't present. You could be crossing a threshold. Thinking they're targeting your DV content doesn't really hold water...
I just don't think DV content would be significantly higher. I just looked it up and it and most sites state for 4k content, with HDR content its about 25mb including DV content. The Dolby vision works fine with Disney+. In any case, I thank you for chiming in.
post #4961 of 4991 Old 03-23-2020, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7294 Post(s)
Liked: 7328
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegam3 View Post
everyone and i mean everyone i see post settings say use contrast 90, but using the xbox calibration it should be set to about 97... do i trust the general consensus or the xbox calibration tool
Its a preference, one guys settings is not going to be another guys. Try different settings and see what you like.....
alwaller likes this.
post #4962 of 4991 Old 03-23-2020, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I just don't think DV content would be significantly higher. I just looked it up and it and most sites state for 4k content, with HDR content its about 25mb including DV content. The Dolby vision works fine with Disney+. In any case, I thank you for chiming in.
There is definitely something wrong with the MoviesAnywhere app on the Sony display. I went ahead and installed it and tried the titles you posted about and a few others in my library and they looked liked absolute garbage. I tried the same titles on the Sony's VUDU app and all titles looked great. I signed into the MoviesAnywhere app on my AppleTV and the same titles looked great, so definitely MA app on the Sony.

S~
swaysui likes this.

Last edited by teachsac; 03-23-2020 at 10:27 AM.
post #4963 of 4991 Old 03-23-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
There is definitely something wrong with the MoviesAnywhere app on the Sony display. I went ahead and installed it and tried the titles you posted about and a few others in my library and they looked liked absolute garbage. I tried the same titles on the Sony's VUDU app and all titles looked great. I signed into the MoviesAnywhere app on my AppleTV and the same titles looked great, so definitely MA app on the Sony.

S~
A million thanks! I'm glad I'm not the only one. Seriously, thank you again for taking the time to install the app and checking it out for me.
post #4964 of 4991 Old 03-23-2020, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
A million thanks! I'm glad I'm not the only one. Seriously, thank you again for taking the time to install the app and checking it out for me.
Nothing else to do right now . Seriously though, use one of the other services to watch movies. I have never been that impressed watching movies through the MA app.

S~

post #4965 of 4991 Old 03-23-2020, 03:43 PM

Yeah true. Social distancing has definitely freed up some time. I was excited to try out Vudu. Too bad every time I select my movie it restarts vudu.
post #4966 of 4991 Old 03-24-2020, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by PernusGre View Post
I just had a weird problem on my x950g where WiFi was suddenly capped at 12 Mbit/s download (don't even know for how long).

So I have my x950g (Android 8 ) connected to a 5ghz router and did a speedtest.net today when I was testing something. To my surprise the connection was capped at 12 Mbit/s on a 100 Mbit/s line. Did multiple tests and all were showing the same results. Netflix and Youtube of course couldn't go beyond 1080p resolution. I rebooted the router and the problem remained. Then I turned off TV WiFi and tried Ethernet connection, the download showed 94 Mbit/s which is the expected speed. I disconnected the Ethernet and turned on TV WiFi and speedtest showed 12Mbit/s again. I rebooted the TV and WiFi speed was back to normal (94 Mbit/s)...Is there any explanation to this or just buggy Android?
You might try to go into your wifi router admin settings. Try changing to a different wifi channel and/or frequency for a particular device. The particular wifi channel/frequency may be congested within your area.

Also set your TV as a higher priority for bandwith. [email protected]@k in your wifi routers owners manual on how to access these settings. Your wifi router may be limiting bandwidth to your TV to prioritize bandwidth to other connected wifi devices.

Also recommend using a static IP address (DHCP reservation) for each device. This will improve and stabilize the wireless wifi connectivity to the wireless wifi router.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW, Sony XBR 85X 850G, Sony UBP-X800M2, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A

Last edited by LNEWoLF; 03-24-2020 at 10:41 AM.
post #4967 of 4991 Old 03-26-2020, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have all my sources routed to my 65X950G then feed the audio to my Yamaha AVR through eARC. I periodically get staticy audio. Any thoughts on how to remedy this? I’ve got TiVos and an Apple TV which never had this issue when I routed through the AVR to my old 55EX500.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #4968 of 4991 Old 03-27-2020, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dturturro View Post
I have all my sources routed to my 65X950G then feed the audio to my Yamaha AVR through eARC. I periodically get staticy audio. Any thoughts on how to remedy this? I’ve got TiVos and an Apple TV which never had this issue when I routed through the AVR to my old 55EX500.

Stop using EARC. LOL. There has been nothing but reported problems with eARC being broken. I have to restart the TV at least 2x a week for I lose audio from eARC.
post #4969 of 4991 Old 03-28-2020, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Dolby Vision "information" is basically just metadata. For Netflix, you will see the same 15Mbps for SDR 4K, HDR10 4K, and DV 4K. HDR may require more bitrate form WCG 10 and 12 bit data, the chroma data, but you will basically always see the providers/streamers simply cut into the luminance bitrate to keep the end stream bitrate identical.

Paul

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #4970 of 4991 Old 03-28-2020, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg7321 View Post
Stop using EARC. LOL. There has been nothing but reported problems with eARC being broken. I have to restart the TV at least 2x a week for I lose audio from eARC.

In that case I’ll use a smart outlet and kill the power for a minute in the middle of the night.

post #4971 of 4991 Old 03-28-2020, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What are the disadvantages and advantages to using my Roku Ultra vs. the Sony Apps for streaming services? Primarily Netflix, Hulu, Prime, and YouTube TV. Using a soundbar for sound. Does using the Roku Ultra result in lower quality sound modes or video modes in any way? I like the convenience of the apps, but even after turning pass through off, a majority of time when I start the Netflix app it has no sound. No other video apps have the problem. If I disconnect the sound bar Netflix works fine with TV speakers but nothing through the sound bar (Bose 700) and the tv and all apps and everything EXCEPT Netflix works without problems. Frustrating. Thanks
post #4972 of 4991 Old 03-28-2020, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflackey View Post
What are the disadvantages and advantages to using my Roku Ultra vs. the Sony Apps for streaming services?

Unfortunately there isn't one good answer to this question as some apps are better on the Roku and others on AndroidTV, plus if you like DV the Roku is a non-player.

In my case I use the Roku for most things because the 900E doesn't support DV but for Dish Anywhere and YouTube I use AndroidTV. No Dish Anywhere on the Roku and YouTube runs better on Android.

You just have to pick and choose.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #4973 of 4991 Old 03-29-2020, 07:52 AM

Does anyone have a fix for the Netflix sound problem that is plaguing me?

65" 950g. Connected to a Bose 700 soundbar. Symptoms: Cable, all apps work fine through the soundbar. Plugging in a USB flash drive with content works fine with the soundbar. But at least once a day, if I try to use the built in Netflix app, I get no sound. I can go directly back to TV and get sound with no problem. But almost nothing works reliably to get the sound back in Netflix. I have tried turning Pass Through off, but still get the problem. I thought turning off eARC fixed it, but this morning, tried to start up Netflix, no sound. Trying to switch to TV sound and then back to Soundbar sound doesn't usually work.

Different things can get it back, but nothing consistently. What worked this morning: with eARC off (may be a coincidence) sound did not work on Netflix. Tried to close it in Options/Apps and restart, nope. Exited, stopped it again in Options/Apps. Switched to TV sound, Started Amazon Prime, let it play through TV sound. Exited to TV, still TV sound. Started Netflix, it played sound through the TV speakers. Switched to external speaker, sound continued. Working now (with eARC on.)

This is ridiculous. This is not a cheap TV, and the built in apps are a major feature for many (including my wife who doesn't like having to change a lot including remotes to get Prime, Hulu, and Netflix.) Since the soundbar works fine with EVERYTHING: TV, cable, every app EXCEPT Netflix, there is clearly something in the Netflix app messing with the sound flow. Does anyone have a consistent fix for this?

Thanks.
post #4974 of 4991 Old 03-29-2020, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What fixed my Netflix sound problem was to change audio output settings (turn off eARC, A/V sync off, digital audio out to auto 2) then do a hard reset by holding the power button down. After restart change the sttings back. Not sure why but a hard reset alone will not fix my Netflix sound. No problems anymore, but after the last update I had to do it again.
post #4975 of 4991 Old 03-29-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisabiker View Post
What fixed my Netflix sound problem was to change audio output settings (turn off eARC, A/V sync off, digital audio out to auto 2) then do a hard reset by holding the power button down. After restart change the sttings back. Not sure why but a hard reset alone will not fix my Netflix sound. No problems anymore, but after the last update I had to do it again.

Thanks, I'll try that. How do you know when the TV has done an update?

UPDATE: Netflix sound was working (though it took the convoluted steps I described in the previous post) but I tried this to see if it would fix it. Did all those steps, did the hard reset, changed all the setting back, started up Netflix: No sound. Arghhhh!

SO - I went through the steps that worked (temporarily) before. I stopped Netflix in the Options/Apps, turned off eARC (makes it easier to turn the sound to the TV speakers and it not automatically switch back) turned sound to TV speakers, started up Prime, exited Prime, started up Netflix (TV Speakers still on.) Netflix sound worked through the TV speakers. Changed it to external/sound bar and sound worked in Netflix. Turned eARC back on, no changes (i.e. still works.)

I really don't want to have to do that every day or every other day when I watch Netflix. And my wife won't do all of that. Unhappy Wife = Unhappy Life. I posted the problem on the Sony support forums, but I'm guessing they will just post the "Having problems with Netflix?" link when goes to the Netflix support page which provides standard troubleshooting steps (check your connections, make sure you have the latest version of Netflix, etc.)

Last edited by jefflackey; 03-29-2020 at 09:28 AM.
post #4976 of 4991 Old 03-29-2020, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflackey View Post
Thanks, I'll try that. How do you know when the TV has done an update?

UPDATE: Netflix sound was working (though it took the convoluted steps I described in the previous post) but I tried this to see if it would fix it. Did all those steps, did the hard reset, changed all the setting back, started up Netflix: No sound. Arghhhh!

SO - I went through the steps that worked (temporarily) before. I stopped Netflix in the Options/Apps, turned off eARC (makes it easier to turn the sound to the TV speakers and it not automatically switch back) turned sound to TV speakers, started up Prime, exited Prime, started up Netflix (TV Speakers still on.) Netflix sound worked through the TV speakers. Changed it to external/sound bar and sound worked in Netflix. Turned eARC back on, no changes (i.e. still works.)

I really don't want to have to do that every day or every other day when I watch Netflix. And my wife won't do all of that. Unhappy Wife = Unhappy Life. I posted the problem on the Sony support forums, but I'm guessing they will just post the "Having problems with Netflix?" link when goes to the Netflix support page which provides standard troubleshooting steps (check your connections, make sure you have the latest version of Netflix, etc.)
What format is Netflix sending? Atmos or DD+ 5.1? You will see it on the title before you start playing.
post #4977 of 4991 Old 03-29-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
What format is Netflix sending? Atmos or DD+ 5.1? You will see it on the title before you start playing.

I assume it depends on the show being watched. For example, right now we're watching Tiger King and the series info shows Dolby Vision and 5.1. But the sound is "dead" even before entering a show, as the sound that it normally makes when you start Netflix (the da-duuum over the "N" dissolving in the Netflix into) is gone when this problem is occurring.
post #4978 of 4991 Old 03-29-2020, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I recently picked up a 65" X950G and I'm blown away by the OOTB picture quality but the reliability of ARC is infuriating. On the W630B it replaced ARC worked perfectly 99.9% of the time. Just like others I was experiencing regular sound cutouts in native OS apps such as Netflix while connected to my AVR via ARC. I've tried a variety of different methods to fix the loss of sound and the most reliable method I've come up with is changing the Digital audio out setting in the Audio output menu from Auto 1 to PCM and back again. This seems to work nearly 100% of the time and doesn't require a reboot.

Ultimately though for the WAF I decided that I could live without Dolby Digital Plus and switched to SPDIF because it works reliably 100% of the time. I don't have an Atmos speaker setup so the difference in perceived audio quality is negligible from a listening standpoint.

I have to say that I think a lot of the issues with this and other Sony TV's these days is the Android TV operating system. I'm hoping that with a few more firmware updates we'll see the stability and reliability of some functions on these TV's get better and start to behave more like a mature product.
post #4979 of 4991 Old 03-29-2020, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
Dolby Vision "information" is basically just metadata. For Netflix, you will see the same 15Mbps for SDR 4K, HDR10 4K, and DV 4K. HDR may require more bitrate form WCG 10 and 12 bit data, the chroma data, but you will basically always see the providers/streamers simply cut into the luminance bitrate to keep the end stream bitrate identical.

Paul
Regardless of whether it's a "little" extra data being sent or a lot, it represents more data. And, it's possible that there is a threshold being crossed by adding in that extra data. If that's the case, then the only likely way the app would be able to "recover" from the data coming in too slowly or being cut off would be to drop the bitrate (and that means a drop in resolution).
post #4980 of 4991 Old 03-29-2020, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 361
For Netflix, they will still stream up to 4K Dolby Vision 2160p down to 7Mbps, then they step to I think 9Mbps, 11.44Mbps, then to a final 15.25Mbps.

Paul

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolby atmos , sony 950g 85" , x95g

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page