2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 167 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2375Likes

post #4981 of 6694 Old 03-29-2020, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone used an NTFS formatted USB hard drive greater than 2TB with success? It's shocking how many new TVs don't support GPT partitioning...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4982 of 6694 Old 03-30-2020, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 73
something interesting i noticed, Graphics mode and Game Mode have different picture quality

If i set the exact same setting for both, Graphics mode is brighter (seems like less aggressive local dimming) and colors look different (main difference was that Graphics had more vibrant red compared to Game mode)

i wonder if this is something others have noticed? or if this is a problem with my set
post #4983 of 6694 Old 03-30-2020, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7622 Post(s)
Liked: 7694
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaysui View Post
Yeah true. Social distancing has definitely freed up some time. I was excited to try out Vudu. Too bad every time I select my movie it restarts vudu.
Yes Ozark came out on Friday, I was done with the season in 27 hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keyz View Post
I recently picked up a 65" X950G and I'm blown away by the OOTB picture quality but the reliability of ARC is infuriating.
I do not think there is a set out there that runs ARC reliably every time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4984 of 6694 Old 04-01-2020, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is anyone else having sound problems with their tv apps? My apps on my tv have no sound but the picture is fine. I have a Q80R sound bar. My PS4 works fine my UBPX800M2 plays discs fine but the sound on the apps goes in and out. I have had my main boards replaced twice on my tv. I’ve had my sound bar checked out and it’s fine. Every time they fix my tv it gets worse. I also have the latest update. This has been going on for months.
post #4985 of 6694 Old 04-02-2020, 01:56 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It's wonky arc/Sony firmware. I've had this issue once over arc then swiftly changed to optical connection which works flawlessly. If you have that option I suggest you use it, otherwise you can only hope Sony fixes the issue.
post #4986 of 6694 Old 04-02-2020, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Try running a Sony ubp1100es 4k Blu ray player and used both hdmi outs on the player. The amount of bugs and bs and almost not worth it, almost.
post #4987 of 6694 Old 04-03-2020, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by krholmberg View Post
This. Since the official link doesn't state 2.1 you have to think it's just 2.0 unless they delay the release and add it since most of their competitors do. I love the idea of better off axis viewing but I'm definitely worried about contrast. If they can keep the current black levels but have better off axis viewing and have HDMI 2.1 this will be a hit... and likely my next TV.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
As you know by now the black levels are horrible on this model. Sony is cutting back there qc in favor of there Oled line.
Just shut off the lights and you'll see the blacks look gray.No excuse here. Your better off with the 900F
post #4988 of 6694 Old 04-03-2020, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaGodzilla View Post
That's pretty crazy. Guess the X900F stays for a while, then?
Hang on to TV Sony is getting worse. The 950G is trash and the 2020 is just as bad.
post #4989 of 6694 Old 04-03-2020, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by arficus View Post
Anyone used an NTFS formatted USB hard drive greater than 2TB with success? It's shocking how many new TVs don't support GPT partitioning...
Meh TVs and CE devices are using really ****ty SoCs, I wouldn't be putting too much faith in their "computing" abilities be it processing power or otherwise. I mean c'mon you can't even load different firmwares you can only do never-go-back upgrades, so expecting other things is not likely.

However GPT is not supported by a lot of things; you're lucky you got NTFS support lol. Going to guess your HDD doesn't have 4K sectors though? Otherwise you could still partition with MBR and use it fine...
arficus likes this.
post #4990 of 6694 Old 04-03-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post
Meh TVs and CE devices are using really ****ty SoCs, I wouldn't be putting too much faith in their "computing" abilities be it processing power or otherwise. I mean c'mon you can't even load different firmwares you can only do never-go-back upgrades, so expecting other things is not likely.

My 10 year samsung reads GPT, so I expected my brand new TCL 6 series would. Not.

People aren't hacking android TVs like phones? That's disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post
However GPT is not supported by a lot of things; you're lucky you got NTFS support lol. Going to guess your HDD doesn't have 4K sectors though? Otherwise you could still partition with MBR and use it fine...
I didn't know that! Thank you. I typically use max sector size because my files are almost all media (ie large). But, I still find it odd that a manufacturer might make a *nix OS based TV and not have GPT support.
post #4991 of 6694 Old 04-05-2020, 05:32 PM

So this panel is just worse than even my ancient Mitsu HD1000 projector at blacks when upscaling. Incredibly disappointed.
post #4992 of 6694 Old 04-06-2020, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The current Netflix sound issue I'm having (in case someone searches this forum for Sony Sound Issue) and current data.

System: 65" Sony 950G, Spectrum/Charter cable (ugh) and Bose 700 soundbar, connected to the TV's eARC HDMI.

Symptoms: Cable works with no problem, playing movies via USB works fine, and all built in apps (e.g. Prime, Hulu, YouTube TV, etc.) EXCEPT Netflix work with no problem. However, if I start up the Netflix app, it has no sound from the very beginning. I.e. even the intro sound when it shows the N from the intro Netflix banner is muted. No TV shows or movies have sound. If I try at this point to go into the options and switch to the TV speakers, there is still no sound.

Data and workaround: I tried turning eARC off in general. That didn't fix it. I tried doing a TV reset. That didn't fix it. I tried turning off various options in the sound options, no fix.

What does work as a convoluted work-a-round: Force stop Netflix in Options/Apps. Then while watching TV, go into sound options and turn off eARC and switch to the TV speakers (have to turn off eARC or it will turn the external speakers back on.) Now, with sound going through the TV speakers, restart the Netflix app. Now sound is working normally, just through the TV speakers. NOW I can go back into sound, with Netflix still on, turn on eARC and the sound back to the external speaker, and it works fine. Until the next day.

That's a pain. So - anyone smarter than me - why would this procedure work and does it tell anyone what the root problem is?

Thanks.
post #4993 of 6694 Old 04-06-2020, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflackey View Post
why would this procedure work and does it tell anyone what the root problem is?

I also have a 950G. Here is the solution to all of the issues with the operating system on this TV: get an Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro. Just let the TV handle the video (and audio if needed). Everything works perfectly, including Atmos audio through eArc to attached sound system. Perfect video, perfect audio, and every app works perfectly.
post #4994 of 6694 Old 04-06-2020, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by wified View Post
I also have a 950G. Here is the solution to all of the issues with the operating system on this TV: get an Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro. Just let the TV handle the video (and audio if needed). Everything works perfectly, including Atmos audio through eArc to attached sound system. Perfect video, perfect audio, and every app works perfectly.

How does that compare to the Roku Ultra?
post #4995 of 6694 Old 04-06-2020, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone having issues with stuttering/drop of frames when using subtitles in VLC player? This happens when a subtitle is about to be displayed. I have tried a few other players and it happens there too. It looks to be a common problem after I googled it. Anyone have a quick fix for this (except turning the subtitle off)?
post #4996 of 6694 Old 04-06-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflackey View Post
How does that compare to the Roku Ultra?

Android vs. Roku operating system. If all that you need is something that works, a Firestick/box or Rokustick/box will work fine. If you need the smoothest and best experience from your media - and I assume that you do if you have a 950G - then an Nvidia Shield or Apple TV can provide that. The main idea is to offload the app processing from your TV, and have another device do that. Just leave your TV's processor to handle the display of video. Let an external stick or device handle the apps. I recommend reading some user reviews on Amazon. The Shield and Apple are overkill if that's not what you need/want.
galonzo likes this.
post #4997 of 6694 Old 04-06-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wified View Post
Android vs. Roku operating system. If all that you need is something that works, a Firestick/box or Rokustick/box will work fine. If you need the smoothest and best experience from your media - and I assume that you do if you have a 950G - then an Nvidia Shield or Apple TV can provide that. The main idea is to offload the app processing from your TV, and have another device do that. Just leave your TV's processor to handle the display of video. Let an external stick or device handle the apps. I recommend reading some user reviews on Amazon. The Shield and Apple are overkill if that's not what you need/want.
Spend a grand or more for smart TV and throw away the smart? Like buying an overpriced monitor. Also I've read upscaling on those externals isn't as good as sony's, even with nvidia.
post #4998 of 6694 Old 04-06-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I've read upscaling on those externals isn't as good as sony's, even with nvidia.

I don't have a second monitor to compare the upscaling between the two. Of course, you can select which upscaling you want, either Nvidia or Sony's native upscaling. The Shield has settings for everything. So pick the one that you like best. But I've got sound through the Netflix app, which is the issue that I originally replied to. With the Shield you get a product that is updated regularly - even the 2015 Shield is still getting updates today, which is really unique. With the Shield everything just works, at least for me. And it will work for a long time.
galonzo likes this.
post #4999 of 6694 Old 04-06-2020, 04:54 PM

Are there a small subset of apps that seem to have issues running natively from set? Are there issues case by case with just certain apps, or is it more generalized, like dependent on how much computer power is being demanded by an app?
post #5000 of 6694 Old 04-06-2020, 10:08 PM

Sony X95 Bluetooth Headphones Problem

Hoping someone has some insight here...could not find answers googling so far.

I have a 55” Sony X9500G and a pair of Sony CH700N Bluetooth headphones.

After I pair the headphones, the tv sound cuts out and they work as expected...no issues. I finish watching and turn off the headphones, and the tv notifies me the A2DP headphones have been disconnected.

The next time I try to use them, I turn on the headphones, navigate to the Bluetooth settings and connect the headphones. The sound works through the headphones but now the tv still outputs sound as well. If I mute, unmute, adjust volume...both the tv speakers and headphones are affected.

Only way I can figure out to fix it is the unpair then pair the headphones again. Very annoying to do every time!

Does anyone have experience with this? Sony list this headphone model as compatible..

Cheers
post #5001 of 6694 Old 04-07-2020, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Spend a grand or more for smart TV and throw away the smart? Like buying an overpriced monitor. Also I've read upscaling on those externals isn't as good as sony's, even with nvidia.
There's really no value in the "smart" anyway.

All TV's upscale content to the native capability. No matter what you send it, the TV upscales it to full quality of the panel (4K in this case). The problem is not that the external devices don't upscale as well, it's that they FORCE upscaling to happen within them. I have long advocated for a native, or 'pass thru' mode for all external devices where they do NOT upscale content in any way. This would send native quality to the panel and the Sony engine could do the upscaling. This would eliminate the brain-dead nature of the "smart" part while maintaining the great upscaling capabilities. The problem is, this would take away much of the "planned obsolescence" that's built into these sets otherwise, making it so that you need to buy a new set when the SoC (System on a Chip) just gets too slow for what you're trying to run on it.
post #5002 of 6694 Old 04-07-2020, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 12788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ney View Post
Hoping someone has some insight here...could not find answers googling so far.

I have a 55” Sony X9500G and a pair of Sony CH700N Bluetooth headphones.

After I pair the headphones, the tv sound cuts out and they work as expected...no issues. I finish watching and turn off the headphones, and the tv notifies me the A2DP headphones have been disconnected.

The next time I try to use them, I turn on the headphones, navigate to the Bluetooth settings and connect the headphones. The sound works through the headphones but now the tv still outputs sound as well. If I mute, unmute, adjust volume...both the tv speakers and headphones are affected.

Only way I can figure out to fix it is the unpair then pair the headphones again. Very annoying to do every time!

Does anyone have experience with this? Sony list this headphone model as compatible..

Cheers

I have the same Sony. I tried pairing Bose headphones with no luck at all. What solved the problem was purchasing a bluetooth adapter connected to the Sony output. Works perfectly, simply lower the Sony volume to 0 and adjust headphone volume.

LG Oled65E6P, Anthem MRX 720, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4, Samsung DVR, Rega P3 turntable, Bellari VP130 Phono Pre Amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Fronts, Vienna Acoustic Maestro Center, Vienna Acoustic Bach Rears, Rel T7i Sub, Bluesound Vault 2
post #5003 of 6694 Old 04-07-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post
I have the same Sony. I tried pairing Bose headphones with no luck at all. What solved the problem was purchasing a bluetooth adapter connected to the Sony output. Works perfectly, simply lower the Sony volume to 0 and adjust headphone volume.
That sucks...expensive Sony tv and Bluetooth headphones and they don’t work properly...
post #5004 of 6694 Old 04-07-2020, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegam3 View Post
something interesting i noticed, Graphics mode and Game Mode have different picture quality

If i set the exact same setting for both, Graphics mode is brighter (seems like less aggressive local dimming) and colors look different (main difference was that Graphics had more vibrant red compared to Game mode)

i wonder if this is something others have noticed? or if this is a problem with my set
I work with graphics on my ZF9 and there is a difference in local dimming for me as well. Graphics mode forsake a bit of blacks for image accuracy, say you have the the mouse pointer in the center of large black area, it stays very bright and a sparse star field would have each star shine very intense, there will be a bit of elevated blacks as all the leds are being drive harder, while in Game mode the pointer is dimmed down to minimize blooming and keep inkier blacks.

I've not noticed any difference in colors other than perhaps Game defaulting the Saturation a bit higher. Have you checked that your Color Temperature both are set to Expert 1 as that could explain the warmer look for one of them?
thegam3 likes this.

Sony ZF9 75" (Owned: Sony KDL-W55905A, Samsung Q9FN 65" & Q900 75") | PC > TV > miniDSP 2x4 HD > XTZ EDGE A2-300 > SVS Ultra Towers + XTZ 10.17 EDGE.
post #5005 of 6694 Old 04-09-2020, 09:17 PM

Liked: 5
2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

I have a question for you guys. Everything I watch is perfect for lack of a better word. The brights, lights in specific, are blinding. Headlights look like they’re real. The HD is amazing, the blacks are black.

My only issue I have, and I just discovered a few minutes ago, is that my picture is a tiny little bit grainy when I’m watching netflix, specifically Ozarks. Everything else on Netflix is super fluid if that makes sense, but for some reason Ozarks is a bit grainy. Also I noticed it on The Irishman.

Is it the way these shows were filmed? Is it Netflix? Any thoughts how I can tone down the grainy ness minimally as to not take away form other media that’s performing perfectly? Or do I just have to deal with it on Netflix and have everything else function perfectly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5006 of 6694 Old 04-09-2020, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post
I have a question for you guys. Everything I watch is perfect for lack of a better word. The brights, lights in specific, are blinding. Headlights look like they’re real. The HD is amazing, the blacks are black.

My only issue I have, and I just discovered a few minutes ago, is that my picture is a tiny little bit grainy when I’m watching netflix, specifically Ozarks. Everything else on Netflix is super fluid if that makes sense, but for some reason Ozarks is a bit grainy. Also I noticed it on The Irishman.

Is it the way these shows were filmed? Is it Netflix? Any thoughts how I can tone down the grainy ness minimally as to not take away form other media that’s performing perfectly? Or do I just have to deal with it on Netflix and have everything else function perfectly?

Netflix ads FAKE/FALSE FILM GRAIN to the highlights of HDR. They are attempting to make it appear that the 4K video was shot in 1988 on old film stock that performs poorly in low light, high ISO2000 Kodak film stock. The stupid part is that they only apply the fake film grain (noise!) effect to the bright parts of the image, the shadows always seem to be clean. If you work with enough video shot at high gain, you will note that the lower the signal level, the more noise you get, the exact opposite of the Netflix film grain (gag) effect.

I know I want all my 4K HDR content to appear to have been filmed in the 1980's, don't you!

Paul
galonzo and TheVazha like this.

Sony X950H SDR and HDR Calibration setting https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post59249362

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibration settings https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #5007 of 6694 Old 04-10-2020, 10:22 PM

Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
Netflix ads FAKE/FALSE FILM GRAIN to the highlights of HDR. They are attempting to make it appear that the 4K video was shot in 1988 on old film stock that performs poorly in low light, high ISO2000 Kodak film stock. The stupid part is that they only apply the fake film grain (noise!) effect to the bright parts of the image, the shadows always seem to be clean. If you work with enough video shot at high gain, you will note that the lower the signal level, the more noise you get, the exact opposite of the Netflix film grain (gag) effect.

I know I want all my 4K HDR content to appear to have been filmed in the 1980's, don't you!

Paul

Haha thanks for the explanation. I never noticed it, but you are absolutely correct. They try to bring the super retro artistic look to the shows, explains the fake noise look when viewing from a quality set.

I guess I’ll just deal with it on Netflix and have everything else look awesome. Lol

post #5008 of 6694 Old 04-11-2020, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I noticed that in Ozark too yesterday but it's pretty apparent in third season not so much in the first and second...I hate that grainy effect.
post #5009 of 6694 Old 04-11-2020, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So I just purchased and ordered a 950G but then I started reading about all of the Android 9/ Firmware/Audio issues. Should I just not update the TV when I get it? I plan on using native apps and TV speakers, most of the posts appear to be issues with using a soundbars or speakers/receiver. Advice appreciated.
post #5010 of 6694 Old 04-11-2020, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 12788
Quote:
Originally Posted by dokhollidai View Post
So I just purchased and ordered a 950G but then I started reading about all of the Android 9/ Firmware/Audio issues. Should I just not update the TV when I get it? I plan on using native apps and TV speakers, most of the posts appear to be issues with using a soundbars or speakers/receiver. Advice appreciated.

I have this TV in the bedroom and use it exactly as you describe. Have it since October 2019. I have done updates. No issues so far.

LG Oled65E6P, Anthem MRX 720, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4, Samsung DVR, Rega P3 turntable, Bellari VP130 Phono Pre Amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Fronts, Vienna Acoustic Maestro Center, Vienna Acoustic Bach Rears, Rel T7i Sub, Bluesound Vault 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolby atmos , sony 950g 85" , x95g

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page