2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 172 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2376Likes

post #5131 of 6695 Old 04-28-2020, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbran23 View Post
Guys is this set at 85" a no brainer buy at this point for someone looking for a large screen option? The prices at 85" right now are pretty amazing considering what is being offered on Greentoe. Even the Bestbuy price is great.

A few things are giving me pause and hopefully people who actually own this set can give insight.

1. Blooming
I have been watching on my 65" C6P for over 3 years now. With my eye being used to the perfect blacks and amazing contrast will the blooming on this set just ruin it for me? I have some people say it is terrible while others say it is panel to panel and that the blooming issue is overblown.

2. How well it plays with other components.
I have followed this thread for awhile and I say many posts where people are having issues with this set and external speakers. I would have this hooked up to my Denon S920W. Can anyone give me insight on the actual issues people are having and whether I should expect to have the same? I like things to just "work" without having to fiddle or do constant workarounds. My C6 has worked beautifully in my current setup and would hate to take a step backward in that department.

3. Anything else I should be aware of or take into consideration before potentially taking the plunge?
Jbran23 - my 950G 85” has been issue free for my usage. Mine is used 98% for playing silver discs. It works nicely even for DVDs with the upscaling. Yea you see some graininess with the large screen but totally acceptable for us. If I really look for blooming I can see bleed into the top black bar area at times but I have never been watching a movie and noticed it as an issue. It is more noticeable with HDR movies with the increased brightness but I have to be looking for it. I occasionally use my Roku stick to watch cable tv through Spectrum cable. It works well most of the time. Super Bowl was a mess but could have been due to overload at the cable company end.

My Denon 4520 wont properly pass 4K video so my Panasonic 820 player has dual outputs so video goes direct to tv and audio to receiver all with no issues.

If you are going to be primarily using the apps to stream stuff you may have issues but I never do that. Others can comment better.

Last edited by PeterK; 04-28-2020 at 02:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5132 of 6695 Old 04-28-2020, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Алексей Шарапов View Post
when your sonyx700 playing DV content is where any emblem appears on tv? I just use ssd with DV promo and were is no popping up DV logo on screen, but settings like DV bright, dark is appears! Some people here in Russia saying that sony cannot playing DV via usb and must be a symbol DV, it's true or not?
I have absolutely no idea what you just said
post #5133 of 6695 Old 04-28-2020, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by HothTron View Post
I have absolutely no idea what you just said
I'm guessing that he's asking you if you played a movie on your x700 that had Dolby Vision content, is there any pop-up on your screen indicating that it has detected Dolby Vision content and is processing it. When he plays Dolby Vision content via USB there is no pop-up for him but the settings are enabled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5134 of 6695 Old 04-28-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
I'm guessing that he's asking you if you played a movie on your x700 that had Dolby Vision content, is there any pop-up on your screen indicating that it has detected Dolby Vision content and is processing it. When he plays Dolby Vision content via USB there is no pop-up for him but the settings are enabled.
Not on screen but the x950g does if I hit the settings gear button on the remote

You also have to enable DV every time on x700 because Sony is lazy as hell and won't fix that
post #5135 of 6695 Old 04-28-2020, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7622 Post(s)
Liked: 7696
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArt View Post
I personally don't use an AVR as they likely introduce input lag, much safer to plug the PC and PS4 directly into the TV and then output the sound to my speaker system. I can't speak for the eARC problems but I've seen some discussion about it in the ZF9 thread. There might be HDMI CEC conflicts when multiple CEC devices are connected to the TV as they battle for control leading to sudden loss of audio.
Sometimes you have to do what you are doing nothing worse then lip sync issues......
post #5136 of 6695 Old 04-28-2020, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hi All,

I picked up a display model 85x950G today for use in a brightly lit living area. Ironically, it's replacing a 75x940C that we purchased from Cleveland Plasma (who just posted here!)

The TV will be mainly used for watching streamed shows during the day and some at night. Some HDR movies via an Nvidia shield.

Do you think that we will like it compared to the 940C? I have no idea how far tech has come, and going from a top of the line to middle of the line TV? The 940C has been a really solid, good looking TV, and I have no idea what we are going to do to replace the (to me) great sounding built in speakers.

Will have to start looking for settings and thinking about it. Can't unmount that 940C by myself, it was heavy as a tank. This 950G seems fairly light in comparison.

Interested in hearing any advice, thanks!

post #5137 of 6695 Old 04-28-2020, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HothTron View Post
Quote:
Not on screen but the x950g does if I hit the settings gear button on the remote

You also have to enable DV every time on x700 because Sony is lazy as hell and won't fix that
So what do you see in settings menu? Indication is DV or HDR?
post #5138 of 6695 Old 04-29-2020, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just picked this set up yesterday. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but I've noticed small discolored humps in the bottom right hand corner of the TV. Posting Image for reference. I don't notice this anywhere else on the TV, but wanted to get other opinions. Sorry for the blur, it was quite difficult to get a good picture of this.

post #5139 of 6695 Old 04-29-2020, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I have a strange issue that may or may not be related to the TV.

For sources that are coming from my old Denon 3808 receiver we get the sound (from the receiver) but the TV displays an all blue overlay. If we turn off the receiver, we can watch on the TV (including sound) because the receiver is doing its HDMI pass-through. When I turn the receiver back on, I can see the picture come through before it is covered in that blue overlay. App played via the TV's OS work just fine and send audio back to the receiver.

The TV/receiver combo has been working just fine since January. I have ARC working via optical. No settings have been changed.

I have already checked all connections and have also tried a different HDMI slot on the TV (just to check the picture). I have the same issue.

Any thoughts? Does this blue screen happen to the TV from signal issues? I recognize it could be an issue from the receiver itself, but wanted to get your thoughts from a TV perspective.

Thanks,

Panny UB820, Denon X6300H in 6.1.4 mode, Epson 5040UB, SVS PCUltra paired with a MiniDSP HD and BEQ (of course!)
Working on making things blacker...
post #5140 of 6695 Old 04-29-2020, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakophyte View Post
I have a strange issue that may or may not be related to the TV.

For sources that are coming from my old Denon 3808 receiver we get the sound (from the receiver) but the TV displays an all blue overlay. If we turn off the receiver, we can watch on the TV (including sound) because the receiver is doing its HDMI pass-through. When I turn the receiver back on, I can see the picture come through before it is covered in that blue overlay. App played via the TV's OS work just fine and send audio back to the receiver.

The TV/receiver combo has been working just fine since January. I have ARC working via optical. No settings have been changed.

I have already checked all connections and have also tried a different HDMI slot on the TV (just to check the picture). I have the same issue.

Any thoughts? Does this blue screen happen to the TV from signal issues? I recognize it could be an issue from the receiver itself, but wanted to get your thoughts from a TV perspective.

Thanks,
If everything works until you put the Denon into the mix then it sounds like an issue between the AVR and the TV. Try another HDMI out port in the AVR if it has one. Try replacing the cables, not just checking connections. Cables can and do go bad over time. It may not be visible, but the signal could be degraded just enough that you add anything to the chain would cause the signal to be lost. Denons have an overlay feature. Try turning that off. If all else fails, try resetting the Denon. It just might be a faulty HDMI board in the Denon.
post #5141 of 6695 Old 04-29-2020, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If everything works until you put the Denon into the mix then it sounds like an issue between the AVR and the TV. Try another HDMI out port in the AVR if it has one. Try replacing the cables, not just checking connections. Cables can and do go bad over time. It may not be visible, but the signal could be degraded just enough that you add anything to the chain would cause the signal to be lost. Denons have an overlay feature. Try turning that off. If all else fails, try resetting the Denon. It just might be a faulty HDMI board in the Denon.
Thanks... found a post from 2012 in the 3808 thread. A hard power-cycle (vs reset) did the trick. I am using eARC (via optical) from the TV to the receiver, as well as CEC. I can't help but wonder if those fancy features contributed to what feels like an overload that required a reboot.

We shall see...

Panny UB820, Denon X6300H in 6.1.4 mode, Epson 5040UB, SVS PCUltra paired with a MiniDSP HD and BEQ (of course!)
post #5142 of 6695 Old 04-29-2020, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakophyte View Post
Thanks... found a post from 2012 in the 3808 thread. A hard power-cycle (vs reset) did the trick. I am using eARC (via optical) from the TV to the receiver, as well as CEC. I can't help but wonder if those fancy features contributed to what feels like an overload that required a reboot.

We shall see...
If you are using optical, you arent using eARC or ARC at all. You are using optical. ARC is audio from TV to AVR through HDMI cable.

EDIT:
That is a pretty old receiver. HDMI 1.3. It does not support 4K. Running apps on TV and optical out to AVR is fine. You will have to be careful with devices connected to AVR. You are limited to 1080P.

Last edited by sjm817; 04-29-2020 at 04:23 PM.
post #5143 of 6695 Old 04-29-2020, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
If you are using optical, you arent using eARC or ARC at all. You are using optical. ARC is audio from TV to AVR through HDMI cable.
Fair point.
I agree I am not using eARC, and I agree the sound is not coming back through the HDMI. The way it works on this old receiver is the TV tells the receiver to switch to a special optical input. I believe I need to enable ARC on the TV and CEC in both. I swear it was treated as a form of ARC, but at this point I am just glad it is working.

post #5144 of 6695 Old 04-29-2020, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New owner of a fresh XG95. Decided to pull the trigger on this one instead of a Sammy or an OLED LG.
Going through all the reddit, forum waves i started to feel really discouraged for this model. I feel like Sony pulled one on me, haha classic Sony.
Things i noticed.
Still going through multiple tests. Thankfully the panel is alright. Mild DSE.
Built-in media player app sucks *** compared to the one in the XF90 ( Android 7.0 ).
Discovered no DTS-HD MA, embedded SRT ( maybe PGS ) support thru the internal app while streaming from local network. There's also some lag and the browsing is way slower than before. At the end it went into a crash loop. VLC seems to work fine. Haven't tested Kodi yet. I've read that even Kodi and in general apps do not even passthrough DTS to an external receiver. I like that i avoided Sammy for that reason, oh! the irony.
It's pretty obvious that this move is to target any ''illegal audio visual activities" imho.
Been running a XF90 ( Android 7.0 ) with an old all in one home cinema ( BDV-N9100 ) using ARC and everything works fine.
I immediately turned off the OTA auto update. I've read horrendous things about this TV on Android 9.0 that haven't even been resolved after one year such as audio issues with external AVRs, soundbars, consoles. Apps losing sound, crashing etc. along with a discovery that it supports HDMI 2.1.

Any idea what's the equivalent of the True Cinema motion setting on the XG95? With Motionflow 'off' there's visible judder in movies. I have no idea why they decided to remove those settings. Now it's even more complicated as to what is the exact result of each motion setting on a source in conjunction with Film Mode. Settings on previous models where explained on another forum.

Last edited by Tonebender; 04-29-2020 at 08:34 PM.
post #5145 of 6695 Old 05-01-2020, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I got an 85in 950H to replace a 75in 940E. I love the size but the glare is very noticeable. It's like a glare magnet. Is it as bad on the 950G ?
post #5146 of 6695 Old 05-02-2020, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yes, a lot of glare on my 75x950g.
post #5147 of 6695 Old 05-02-2020, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonebender View Post
Any idea what's the equivalent of the True Cinema motion setting on the XG95? With Motionflow 'off' there's visible judder in movies. I have no idea why they decided to remove those settings. Now it's even more complicated as to what is the exact result of each motion setting on a source in conjunction with Film Mode. Settings on previous models where explained on another forum.
I might be wrong but I think having it set to Auto and then Smoothness 0 would be the equivalent.

Sony ZF9 75" (Owned: Sony KDL-W55905A, Samsung Q9FN 65" & Q900 75") | PC > TV > miniDSP 2x4 HD > XTZ EDGE A2-300 > SVS Ultra Towers + XTZ 10.17 EDGE.
post #5148 of 6695 Old 05-02-2020, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg7321 View Post
Sorry I mad a lot of changes to many settings and really don't have the time to type them all out. With that being said, color balancing can be very subjective. I comes down to what you prefer. I personally did not like any of the defaults. I feel they where way to washed out and had honorably skin tones. I used to print film back in the day before digital cameras came out. I kinda fell back on my skills of printing film. Now the problem is, what to base color off of. You can have the same blue shirt look so many different shades of blue depending on the lighting and how the movie was shot. So what I did was using my 4k movies, I looked for outdoor, in sunlight, colors you know to be true, like a white shirt, green grass. I looked for things I knew how it should look. Stay away from indoors shots. Skin tones are hard to do for every ones is different. I also compared many scenes from many movies. I kept making changes till I liked every thing. Once I mad a change I would go back and look to see if I liked it. I also looked at that white shirt in the sunlight to make sure white was still white. Brightness, Contrast, Hue are kinda personal. Even though Avatar was almost 100% CGI, I did use that a bit to look at a large spectrum of colors. Mainly because there where so many. For me once I was done it was like watching Avatar unlike I have ever seen before. Colors are unlike any thing I saw before and whites where still white. Now my settings may not be exactly the way it was intended, I say so what. I like it and that's all that matters. Oh ya almost forgot you have to do this for slandered, HDR and Dolby Vision. They all use different settings. I may be incorrect but I believe setting would be set for all HDMI inputs on the TV.
I just finished (I hope) using the S & M UHD Benchmark disk to set up my 65 850g after about a month of viewing/resetting/viewing/resetting....you get the idea. Check the calibration forum for possible suggestions. I too watched DVD-Blu Ray-UHD 4k disks to see all the differences in various formats. I set my player to RGB and the TV to Adobe RGB to arrive at best settings verified by the S & M disk. I agree to watch natural scenes to find the best settings for your eyes.

I am happy with this set coming from Oppo 103D/Sony 550r 1080p & Denon 5.1 configuration to my new rig: Sony x1100 ES/Sony 950G/Denon X2100w. I use Roku for streaming with optical out from TV to AVR - no issues; I split audio via HDMI to AVR & video out to display via HDMI. I also use an OTA antenna for local HD programming. Everything seems to get along just fine, all codecs are recognized without errors. BTW - the Oppo is a great player and I now use it for 2 ch audio with the Rotel A14/Revel M106s

I may have a good panel - delivered to my house from local BB - clean undamaged packaging.

All good here

No matter how hard you try - you cannot polish a turd!
post #5149 of 6695 Old 05-02-2020, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 168
950 Glare

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALO555 View Post
I got an 85in 950H to replace a 75in 940E. I love the size but the glare is very noticeable. It's like a glare magnet. Is it as bad on the 950G ?

I bought the 85" 950 G very soon after it was first released. Some bloom was immediately noticed but after a couple of weeks, I had it professionally calibrated and there hasn't been a bloom issue since.

I have never had any audio sync issues and the display is used primarily for physical discs watching movies, some streaming and regular broadcast. I have never used it for gaming.

The Sony anti glare is worthless. Especially when watching movies during the day, I make sure the curtains are pulled closed and a rear window in an other room also has its blinders closed. I never really have had an issue with overhead lights glaring on the screen but I can easily imagine that occurring. I don't think the size of the display has anything to do with the glare...it is just that whatever Sony uses....they should get their money back.
galonzo likes this.

Steve Douglas, McIntosh 8207 amp, Anthem AVM-60, Anthem MCA 50 amp, Aerial Acoustics 10T, CC3 center, 5s and SR3 dipole/bipole, 18"Velodyne Sub
Sony 85" 950G, 4 Paradigm Cinema 100 2.0 System and OPPO 203 Blu-ray deck
post #5150 of 6695 Old 05-03-2020, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArt View Post
I might be wrong but I think having it set to Auto and then Smoothness 0 would be the equivalent.

Thanks! Will try it out. I tried searching about it to no avail.
To verify Film mode on Auto, Motionflow - Custom with smoothness 0 and Clearness ( that's basically BFI ) 0 too.
If anyone else has any input on it i would gladly take it.

I've included some photos w/ local dimming off and a black background, max brightness before calibration.
First picture is with auto exposure. Second i tried to make it look as realistic as possible to what i was actually watching irl. Third at an angle you can see some horizontal and vertical lines.
Obviously this tv shouldn't be run with LD off. None of these things create an issue with content. Maybe just maybe i noticed that left clouding artifact in a very specific scene from Stranger Things with total black background with HDR on and that's because i was looking for it. Blooming was at a minimum and as to be expected though at the bottom right corner weirdly enough more prominent, especially with subs and HDR.
What i could not capture are some areas at the rear of the panel along the length of it where the plastic meets the metal. You can see the backlight but again that does not create any issues even at pitch black room. Nevertheless my 65 XF90 does not appear to have this.

As for reference settings, i'd guess the XF90's ones from the settings thread provided by member Anderegg are also applicable to some extent on this model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0186CCC.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	2720222   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_018CC8.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	2720224   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_CCC0190.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	2720226   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_3744.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	2720236  

Last edited by Tonebender; 05-03-2020 at 08:25 AM.
post #5151 of 6695 Old 05-03-2020, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonebender View Post
Thanks! Will try it out. I tried searching about it to no avail.
To verify Film mode on Auto, Motionflow - Custom with smoothness 0 and Clearness ( that's basically BFI ) 0 too.
If anyone else has any input on it i would gladly take it.

I've included some photos w/ local dimming off and a black background, max brightness before calibration.
First picture is with auto exposure. Second i tried to make it look as realistic as possible to what i was actually watching irl. Third at an angle you can see some horizontal and vertical lines.
Obviously this tv shouldn't be run with LD off. None of these things create an issue with content. Maybe just maybe i noticed that left clouding artifact in a very specific scene from Stranger Things with total black background with HDR on and that's because i was looking for it. Blooming was at a minimum and as to be expected though at the bottom right corner weirdly enough more prominent, especially with subs and HDR.
What i could not capture is in some areas at the rear of the panel along the length where the plastic meets the metal you can see the backlight but again that does not create any issues even at pitch black room. Nevertheless my 65 XF90 does not appear to have this.

As for reference settings, i'd guess the XF90's ones from the settings thread provided by member Anderegg are also applicable to some extent on this model.
Yes that was the settings I was thinking could help.

As for local dimming, it should never be off. The sets are obviously factory calibrated to remove clouding through the local dimming.

Sony ZF9 75" (Owned: Sony KDL-W55905A, Samsung Q9FN 65" & Q900 75") | PC > TV > miniDSP 2x4 HD > XTZ EDGE A2-300 > SVS Ultra Towers + XTZ 10.17 EDGE.
post #5152 of 6695 Old 05-03-2020, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sound cutting out while streaming

Good Afternoon All,

Please help. I am having a random issue with the sound cutting out on my Sony X950G. It only occurs while streaming through the TVs android apps. The sound will cut out for about half a second, just enough to be noticeable. It is VERY random. There are times it will go half an hour without it cutting out and then sometimes it will happen every 2 to 3 minutes. I have the TV connected via HDMI through eARC to a Sony STR DN860 receiver. The sound issue occurs whether or not the sound is being sent to the receiver or played directly through the TV speakers. I contacted Sony customer service and they had me manually update the firmware via a download to a usb drive. That didn't change anything. I have three other Sony sets and have never had an issue with any one of them. My girlfriend is a big Samsung person and she gives me a massive eye roll every time the sound cuts out while we are watching this set. I really like the set but between her eye rolls and my own frustration I am about to just return it and get the Samsung Q80. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
post #5153 of 6695 Old 05-03-2020, 03:44 PM

Hello everyone,

My Samsung MU8000 has decided to start showing small white dots in light colored scenes and is out of warranty! So decided i do not want another Samsung and was looking at the X950G as the price was nice and I can not find the X900H anywhere yet. Rtings did note that its stutter was pretty bad thought on X9500G...

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x950g

Wanted to confirm with owners how bad it was? It is the one thing that drives me nuts, seeing things stutter in wide open scene's....my MU8000 (https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/mu8000) I did not notice it much, and it didn't have the highest rating either..
post #5154 of 6695 Old 05-04-2020, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 33
X950g 55 vs. FireStick 4K

I have the following problem using a FireStick 4K with my Sony X950G 55 inch. I noticed a lot of programs on the FireStick were not showing up as 4K and/or HDR and/or DolbyVision when I knew they were. Checking the FS4K settings showed the Sony X950G was not recognized as a 4K capable TV. Restarting the FS 4K will solve the problem temporarily, but by my next viewing session the recognition has gone away and I have to restart the FS 4K again. Don't know if this is a Sony/Android TV or a FS 4K issue, but I don't have the problem with a 2016 Vizio 4K set. I'm getting tired of having to restart the FS 4K every time I want to watch 4K/HDR/DV content. Thanks in advance for any and all ideas.
post #5155 of 6695 Old 05-04-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT01 View Post
I have the following problem using a FireStick 4K with my Sony X950G 55 inch. I noticed a lot of programs on the FireStick were not showing up as 4K and/or HDR and/or DolbyVision when I knew they were. Checking the FS4K settings showed the Sony X950G was not recognized as a 4K capable TV. Restarting the FS 4K will solve the problem temporarily, but by my next viewing session the recognition has gone away and I have to restart the FS 4K again. Don't know if this is a Sony/Android TV or a FS 4K issue, but I don't have the problem with a 2016 Vizio 4K set. I'm getting tired of having to restart the FS 4K every time I want to watch 4K/HDR/DV content. Thanks in advance for any and all ideas.
I would reach out to amazon support, sure they have some kind of list or config that has TV's in it or some way they detect what TV's are 4k or not...
post #5156 of 6695 Old 05-04-2020, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
I just bought a Roku Streaming Stick + and initially connected it directly to the TV, 65/950, and had lots of problems, specifically utilizing my HT's speakers. The TV would only use its' own speakers...ugh.
My solution was to connect the Roku directly to my AVR and now it works perfectly and much faster as well.

Perhaps this is a solution that will work for you.
Good luck and keep us informed.

TV: Sony XBR 65X950G, AVR: Marantz SR5014, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: Panasonic DP-UB820P-K Disk Player, Media Player: Zidoo Z9S & Roku Streaming Stick +, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
post #5157 of 6695 Old 05-04-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
My solution was to connect the Roku directly to my AVR and now it works perfectly and much faster as well.
Perhaps this is a solution that will work for you.
Good luck and keep us informed.
My first step is to try the FS 4K with every HDMI input - it was in HDMI 1 initially. I've moved it to HDMI 2 and will see if that helps. If not on to HDMI 3, etc. Then I will try it in the 2 HDMI inputs on my Yamaha YAS-706 sound bar. If none of this works, I will drop in a spare FS 4K and see if that makes a difference. Don't have space for an AVR and associated speakers, etc., the sound bar is fine for my needs. Thanks and will post results.
post #5158 of 6695 Old 05-04-2020, 09:16 PM

40 years ago this May the 4th anniversary, my mom was pregnant with me and went to theatre with my dad and Grandma and saw Empire Strikes back and a few weeks later I was born and needless to say, the movie had a big effect on my life, especially some of my early sounds I may have heard while inside my mom was the battle of Hoth lol

So to mark the day, I picked up a 4k copy of Empire to add to my collection over the past 40 years and wow..... Star Wars has never looked so good in all my a life! What an utter huge jump in video quality from my 2002 DVD copy!

This new X950G is making me re enjoy movies and games in a whole new way after being stuck in 1080p for so long!

rjruby, galonzo, JoelArt and 1 others like this.
post #5159 of 6695 Old 05-05-2020, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is anyone having issues with the Hulu app? We find that we lose ARC when we hit pause too many times.

post #5160 of 6695 Old 05-05-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
My first step is to try the FS 4K with every HDMI input - it was in HDMI 1 initially. I've moved it to HDMI 2 and will see if that helps. If not on to HDMI 3, etc. Then I will try it in the 2 HDMI inputs on my Yamaha YAS-706 sound bar. If none of this works, I will drop in a spare FS 4K and see if that makes a difference. Don't have space for an AVR and associated speakers, etc., the sound bar is fine for my needs. Thanks and will post results.

Changing the input for the FS 4K to HDMI 2 didn't help - still eventually lost 4K/HDR/DV capability. I've now decided to try one of the HDMI inputs on the Yamaha soundbar that goes into the ARC/eARC input on the Sony X950G-55. So far so good after 15 minutes - the real test will be whether the handshaking lasts over night. Will let you know the results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolby atmos , sony 950g 85" , x95g

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page