2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 182 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2419Likes

post #5431 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDisplay View Post
there is no VRR on 950G or 950H
Unless you modify the firmware and unlock it. At least it is what Danny said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5432 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 45
As far as apps are concerned, both Netflix and Disney+ produce Dolby Vision for newer titles, although I have read somewhere that this is not true Dolby Vision anyway due to bandwidth limitation. Now with sound, only Netflix streams Dolby Atmos "regularly". At least here in Germany, Disney+ website claims that they are building a "growing library" of 5.1 and Atmos titles, however none of the advanced formats are guaranteed for now due to the fact that the authorities are recommending reducing bandwidth usage in the "difficult times". Checking Disney+ not only on XG95, but also on PS4 and on PC, I could not find a single Atmos title right now.

Amazon Prime Video makes search for these formats very difficult (again, at least in Germany), they don't focus on that at all. One can get 4K HDR, but most often it's not recognized by the TV as Dolby Vision, just HDR. Amazon title descriptions don't refer to Atmos at all, so I can't say for sure which title has it.

YouTube is even worse, I can find special demo videos for Dolby Vision and Atmos, they would look and sound fantastic, but neither the TV not the AVR would recognize them as Vision and Atmos.

I have not used any other apps. Supposedly, something called Rakuten TV (again, I'm in Germany) is supposed to carry IMAX enhanced titles, such as some recent SpiderMan, but I guess I have reached my limit of how many streaming apps (paid or free) I want to use.

Now, the latest firmware update for XH models specifically addresses Disney+ in its description. Do we know what else it does, specifically?
post #5433 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerikano View Post
Hi Danny, Im still on 6.2505 (Android 8.0) firmware as I never update if everything works fine but having VRR is really tempting so here is a question, how I can enable it ? Can you give any advise how to do it ? What software did you use to do that ? And just my $0.02 if it ain’t broke don’t fix it which means install updates only if you have a problem that is addressed in the update or will bring you a feature that you want. I have no single issue with my TV (Never had single audio drop out) but like I said it would be nice to have VRR. Shame on you Sony ! Thank You.

Just to be sure, what does this feature - VRR - actually brings me, if I'm not gaming?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5434 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by unifexx View Post
Just to be sure, what does this feature - VRR - actually brings me, if I'm not gaming?
Nothing. It's specifically for gaming

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
post #5435 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
If you are not a gamer then nothing, it basically helps to eliminate stutters and tearing when play on xbox one x for example.
post #5436 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyW75 View Post
Yes, if you did not get the April firmware, it does not matter. Just install the X950G firmware first, and then the X950H firmware after. Make sure you only have one firmware on the USB stick at a time. Do not put both firmwares on the stick at the same time.
Thanks Danny, will do.

Yes, typo. I had 75" and 950g on the brain and conflated the two. lol

Den: Sony XBR75x950g, Marantz sr8012, ATV4k, Sony X800M2/Oppo bdp105, Emotiva XPR-5/UPA-2, NHT ClassicThree+C3C/iC4x4, SVS SB-16Ultra/Hsu VTF-15,7.2.4
Bedroom: Samsung 64f8500, Denon 4311, ATVHD, Oppo bdp93, NHT Absolute Towers x2, Classic2Center, Classic2 Surround, M&K sub 5.1
Headbanging: MacMini/Roon/Tidal, Oppo HA-1, ProJect PreBox s2, Oppo PM-1, Senheisser 6xx
post #5437 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Danny, thanks for your excellent sleuthing on this.

One thing that does give me pause before I go ahead with this, and hopefully someone can confirm; Sony, of course, doesn't provide a MD5 for the file. Their website that you linked says,
Quote:
Verify that the size of the "sony_atvotafull_2018_1604738100_naa_auth.zip" file is "1,350,895,941" bytes.
I show a decompressed size of
Quote:
1.25 GB (1,350,895,695 bytes)
when I extracted into a folder.
So, fearing corruption, I redownloaded and extracted the file directly into the downloads directory. This shows the correct size,
Quote:
1.25 GB (1,350,895,941 bytes)
These extractions are using winRAR on Win10.

Just wanted to point this out for other members looking to try this out.

Has anyone else bothered to check this or am I just being paranoid?
post #5438 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerikano View Post
If you are not a gamer then nothing, it basically helps to eliminate stutters and tearing when play on xbox one x for example.
Well, that's your answer then. What's the percentage of gamers among Sony TV customers? I don't think it's very large, and if I'm right, then it's not a high priority for Sony, regardless of whether the hardware is capable of it or not.
post #5439 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
What's the percentage of gamers among Sony TV customers? I don't think it's very large.
why ?
gaming is huge and PS4 is best selling current gen console
post #5440 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Updated my firmware to 950H, factory reset, no issues. I'd say that this update is very good. I have noticed much better motion while using Smoothness 2 and Cinemotion AUTO. Previously, I used Smoothness 3 for watching movies and still posted many negative comments about the motion handling. Now when I use Smoothness at 3, the motion seems a lot faster than on the previous firmware. Smoothness 2 is now the sweet spot for me. The picture quality also appears to be a bit better but I will need to watch more content to be sure of that. Home screen is about the same but I am liking the new side bar settings UI. Better overall performance so far. I truly feel like I have upgraded to a 950H minus the x-wide. I have turned off auto update and plan to stay on this firware until a better one arrives. Thank you, Danny. May keeps this one until the X970K arrives.
Mike_WI likes this.
post #5441 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDisplay View Post
why ?
gaming is huge and PS4 is best selling current gen console

Sony just reported that PS4 sales exceeded 100 million mark. This is lifetime, since end 2013, so about 6-7 years, so say 15 mil a year on average. Smart TV sales were reported 200 million in 2018 (worldwide, just like the PS4 number), estimating 250 mil in 2024. Now, that's just smart TVs, there are also regular, "dumb" TVs. So comparing the number of people who bought a new TV in 2018 to those who bought a PS4 the latter would be about 7 - 8 %. Of course, that's not all Sony TVs, but that's the market TV marketing is looking at.
post #5442 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbononthebow View Post
Danny, thanks for your excellent sleuthing on this.

One thing that does give me pause before I go ahead with this, and hopefully someone can confirm; Sony, of course, doesn't provide a MD5 for the file. Their website that you linked says,

I show a decompressed size of when I extracted into a folder.
So, fearing corruption, I redownloaded and extracted the file directly into the downloads directory. This shows the correct size,

These extractions are using winRAR on Win10.

Just wanted to point this out for other members looking to try this out.

Has anyone else bothered to check this or am I just being paranoid?

Yes, that is correct. The firmware is the second zip inside the first zip. I already put instructions for the updating procedure on the previous page.
post #5443 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencc3 View Post
Updated my firmware to 950H, factory reset, no issues. I'd say that this update is very good. I have noticed much better motion while using Smoothness 2 and Cinemotion AUTO. Previously, I used Smoothness 3 for watching movies and still posted many negative comments about the motion handling. Now when I use Smoothness at 3, the motion seems a lot faster than on the previous firmware. Smoothness 2 is now the sweet spot for me. The picture quality also appears to be a bit better but I will need to watch more content to be sure of that. Home screen is about the same but I am liking the new side bar settings UI. Better overall performance so far. I truly feel like I have upgraded to a 950H minus the x-wide. I have turned off auto update and plan to stay on this firware until a better one arrives. Thank you, Danny. May keeps this one until the X970K arrives.

They are the same TV. This is why everything works exactly as expected with the firmware update. Sony has been dishonest with offering a different firmware update to each TV. They tried to separate the two TVs through firmware, so they would appear different. They obviously never thought anyone would figure out they are the same TV. It will be interesting to see what features will be offered for the X950H, and for those who have now installed the X950H firmware on their X950G, in the future firmwares. Auto-update will detect your TV as the X950H, which the TV is anyways, since they share identical internal hardware. The current X950H firmware improves the local dimming algorithm as well on the X950G/X950H.
post #5444 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 01:05 PM

In Europe the XH update is still not available. Even the XG update is only available for download on Sony website, but not through autoupdate (if I press the "update" button, I get a message that the TV could not find any updates). I guess this is because the standard retailers have only offered the XH in 49 and 85 inch sizes. 55, 65, and 75 are advertised with shipment in about a month. So quite honestly, I won't be surprised if this update will only arrive towards the end of summer.
post #5445 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
In Europe the XH update is still not available. Even the XG update is only available for download on Sony website, but not through autoupdate (if I press the "update" button, I get a message that the TV could not find any updates). I guess this is because the standard retailers have only offered the XH in 49 and 85 inch sizes. 55, 65, and 75 are advertised with shipment in about a month. So quite honestly, I won't be surprised if this update will only arrive towards the end of summer.

Yeah, this sucks. I'm living in The Netherlands and the XH versions don't have any downloadable firmware updates available (yet). It wouldn't surprise me if Sony randomly patches them European updates so that us XG owners can't use them to update.. lol
post #5446 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoger Mohammad View Post
Yeah, this sucks. I'm living in The Netherlands and the XH versions don't have any downloadable firmware updates available (yet). It wouldn't surprise me if Sony randomly patches them European updates so that us XG owners can't use them to update.. lol
If the hardware is all the same I don't think they can do ****.

post #5447 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Audio Issues XBR-55X950G

I bought my TV 6 months ago and I am becoming more and more frustrated because there is either no audio [Apple TV] or intermittent Audio [Netflix, Prime Video] on my set when playing content from streaming apps. FIOS cable audio excellent and all round picture quality I am happy with....just audio via the apps!
Another issue is Firmware. My TV [set to software auto update] is at V6.3624 and when I download to my USB stick V6.3626 released 2 days ago and plug in to the TV a message appears saying my Software is up to date and the TV remains at the 'old' version V6.3624.
Sony support is not taking inbound telephone calls and don't get me started on the chat function limitations via iPhone or Windows 10.
Any suitable fix suggestions, recommendations, advice or help would be most appreciated.
Regards
post #5448 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouser Tommy View Post
I bought my TV 6 months ago and I am becoming more and more frustrated because there is either no audio [Apple TV] or intermittent Audio [Netflix, Prime Video] on my set when playing content from streaming apps. FIOS cable audio excellent and all round picture quality I am happy with....just audio via the apps!

Another issue is Firmware. My TV [set to software auto update] is at V6.3624 and when I download to my USB stick V6.3626 released 2 days ago and plug in to the TV a message appears saying my Software is up to date and the TV remains at the 'old' version V6.3624.

Sony support is not taking inbound telephone calls and don't get me started on the chat function limitations via iPhone or Windows 10.

Any suitable fix suggestions, recommendations, advice or help would be most appreciated.

Regards
Update to the H version and enjoy.

post #5449 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouser Tommy View Post
Regards

I put instructions on how to update through USB on Page 181 of this thread. Go one page back and take a look.

Edit: I just copied and pasted the instructions below for you in the next post.

Last edited by DannyW75; 05-17-2020 at 05:46 PM.
post #5450 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 05:45 PM

This is how to install the X950H firmware on your X950G. First, download the current X950G firmware, and the current X950H firmware at the links. The size of the TV does not matter. The firmware update is the same for all sizes. If you currently have the latest X950G May 13th firmware installed through auto update over the last couple days, you only need to install the X950H firmware. If you have not got the auto update for the X950G firmware yet, then you need to install the X950G firmware first, and then the X950H firmware afterwards.

If you need to install both firmware updates, do not put both on the USB stick at the same time. Update the TV with only one firmware on the USB stick at a time.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...950g/downloads

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...950h/downloads

To update through USB, first download the firmware zip from Sony. Next, extract the zip. Inside that, you will find a folder with another zip file in it. This zip file is the firmware. Take that zip file, and put that on a USB thumb drive. Make sure nothing else is on the USB drive. Connect the USB thumb drive to any USB port on the TV. It will immediately start the update process. After the update has completed, be sure to factory reset the TV. This is required due to changes being made in this firmware to bluetooth features on the two TVs

If you can't seem to update, then you did the procedure incorrectly. That is all there is to it. The X950H firmware works on every X950G TV.
JFR0317 and jpatern1974 like this.
post #5451 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 230
there hasnt been any confirmation that the latest H firmware fixed any sound issues

from what I can tell - the audio issues come from either/or : internal apps & eARC

so potentially - use only external apps and use optical
post #5452 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
This is how to install the X950H firmware on your X950G. First, download the current X950G firmware, and the current X950H firmware at the links. The size of the TV does not matter. The firmware update is the same for all sizes. If you currently have the latest X950G May 13th firmware installed through auto update over the last couple days, you only need to install the X950H firmware. If you have not got the auto update for the X950G firmware yet, then you need to install the X950G firmware first, and then the X950H firmware afterwards.

If you need to install both firmware updates, do not put both on the USB stick at the same time. Update the TV with only one firmware on the USB stick at a time.

To update through USB, first download the firmware zip from Sony. Next, extract the zip. Inside that, you will find a folder with another zip file in it. This zip file is the firmware. Take that zip file, and put that on a USB thumb drive. Make sure nothing else is on the USB drive. Connect the USB thumb drive to any USB port on the TV. It will immediately start the update process. After the update has completed, be sure to factory reset the TV. This is required due to changes being made in this firmware to bluetooth features on the two TVs

If you can't seem to update, then you did the procedure incorrectly. That is all there is to it. The X950H firmware works on every X950G TV.
Danny
I followed your instructions and chose to download and extract the update for the 950G only. Everything went perfectly. TV set now shows V6.3626 and Apple TV audio plays perfectly. I am assuming therefore the intermittent audio loss on Netflix and Prime Video apps will no longer be an issue. I didn't want to complicate things anymore than necessary and decided to stick rather than migrate to the 950H download!
I read on an earlier posting that you are the guru on the Sony X950 range and I agree completely. Thank you so much for your inputs which enabled me to fix the problem.
post #5453 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 08:02 PM

No problem, happy to help. I am glad to see people getting more out of these TVs. You would be wise to do the upgrade to the X950H firmware. Sony has separated the 2 TVs by using two different firmwares. They are trying to act as though the two TVs are different. In reality, they are exactly the same, with the same internal hardware. The only difference is the new speakers in the X950H. If you update to the X950H firmware, your TV will then be identified by future updates through auto-update as being an X950H, since it shares the same hardware as the X950G. The update procedure is the same for upgrading with the X950H firmware. Just make sure you do a factory reset on the TV after the update. The current X950H firmware update changes the features of bluetooth on the X950G and X950H, which requires a factory reset after the firmware upgrade is done.
JFR0317 and Damar1979 like this.
post #5454 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have an X950G-55 and went through the procedure to update to the X950H firmware. My set was still on the January firmware so updated to 5/14 950G via USB, then to the 5/14 950H. Everything went well and I thought maybe I could avoid the factory reset as I have Bluetooth turned off and the 950H menus were working. When I want to use bluetooth headphones, I pair them with my Yamaha YAS-706 soundbar. However, as I wanted to see if bluetooth would work from the TV, I went ahead and did the factory reset and paired the headphones (Sony WHCH700N). I thought it would work, as the pairing went very smoothly. However, it was not to be. I tried to listen to content from an Amazon Firestick 4K which is plugged into the soundbar, making sure to turn off the bluetooth transmitter in the soundbar. No cigar - nothing. I didn't try it with the TV's internal apps as I don't use them, but maybe the problem is having the FS 4K plugged into the soundbar instead of directly into the TV. I don't really mind not being able to use the TV's bluetooth as it seems to cause problems as mentioned in a number of previous posts, but don't know why it didn't work after pairing with the Sony headphones. Thanks in advance for all ideas - otherwise quite happy with the 950H firmware.
post #5455 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencc3 View Post
Did you use the 85X950H firmware?
On the 75X960H page, the Sony site indicates that there is no downloads for this product.
post #5456 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Yes, that is correct. The current X950H firmware should only be installed on the X950G and X950H. It is not meant for any other TVs, period. This is how to install the X950H firmware on your X950G. First, download the current X950G firmware, and the current X950H firmware at the links. The size of the TV does not matter. The firmware update is the same for all sizes. If you currently have the latest X950G May 13th firmware installed through auto update over the last couple days, you only need to install the X950H firmware. If you have not got the auto update for the X950G firmware yet, then you need to install the X950G firmware first, and then the X950H firmware afterwards.

Hate to be a pansie about this....the 950H page you linked to is for the 85X950H...but when I search for the 75x950H, the Sony site indicates no updates available. The 85X950H firmware will work for all sizes, right? Again, apologies if a silly question.
post #5457 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 09:58 PM

Yes, the firmware is for all sizes.
post #5458 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMak00 View Post
Did you use the 85X950H firmware?
On the 75X960H page, the Sony site indicates that there is no downloads for this product.

The firmware is for all sizes of X950G and X950H.
post #5459 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT01 View Post
I have an X950G-55 and went through the procedure to update to the X950H firmware. My set was still on the January firmware so updated to 5/14 950G via USB, then to the 5/14 950H. Everything went well and I thought maybe I could avoid the factory reset as I have Bluetooth turned off and the 950H menus were working. When I want to use bluetooth headphones, I pair them with my Yamaha YAS-706 soundbar. However, as I wanted to see if bluetooth would work from the TV, I went ahead and did the factory reset and paired the headphones (Sony WHCH700N). I thought it would work, as the pairing went very smoothly. However, it was not to be. I tried to listen to content from an Amazon Firestick 4K which is plugged into the soundbar, making sure to turn off the bluetooth transmitter in the soundbar. No cigar - nothing. I didn't try it with the TV's internal apps as I don't use them, but maybe the problem is having the FS 4K plugged into the soundbar instead of directly into the TV. I don't really mind not being able to use the TV's bluetooth as it seems to cause problems as mentioned in a number of previous posts, but don't know why it didn't work after pairing with the Sony headphones. Thanks in advance for all ideas - otherwise quite happy with the 950H firmware.

Bluetooth works perfectly fine on the X950G and X950H with the factory reset. It sounds like an issue between your soundbar and the TV.
post #5460 of 6769 Old 05-17-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
The firmware is for all sizes of X950G and X950H.
Updating now... Fingers crossed.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolby atmos , sony 950g 85" , x95g

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page