2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 190 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2416Likes

post #5671 of 6760 Old 05-20-2020, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Question about people with the G that updated with the H firmware. Wouldnt it be easy for Sony to implement a serial # check into the pre-install of the FW? They know what serial numbers are G and H. So if this is possible wouldnt that be an easy way to prevent all future H updates on G's? The G with H FW fails the serial check and gets stuck with that H firmware from here on out with no way to go back to G, or get future H updates.

He Loved Us Enough to Die For Us, Love Him Enough to Live For Him!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5672 of 6760 Old 05-20-2020, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 177
People are free to do what they want. If an X950G owner wants to update to the X950H firmware, that is fine. If they want to stay on the X950G firmware, that is fine too. No one is forced to do anything.

Last edited by DannyW75; 05-20-2020 at 02:14 PM.
post #5673 of 6760 Old 05-20-2020, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gam3r 4 Life View Post
Question about people with the G that updated with the H firmware. Wouldnt it be easy for Sony to implement a serial # check into the pre-install of the FW? They know what serial numbers are G and H. So if this is possible wouldnt that be an easy way to prevent all future H updates on G's? The G with H FW fails the serial check and gets stuck with that H firmware from here on out with no way to go back to G, or get future H updates.

Yes, that's exactly one possible scenario. They can literally do any type of software block they want. It is IRRELEVANT that the TVs have the same hardware when it comes to software blocks.

I hope that the worries are unwarranted, but Sony doesn't have a great track record of always doing the Right Thing.
UltimateDisplay likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5674 of 6760 Old 05-20-2020, 01:44 PM

I personally have not yet updated because I am hoping (probably in vain) that Sony will give the G owners an update that improves all the things the H one did. But just in case they dont I still have the H update ready to install.
400MHz MAN and reechings like this.

post #5675 of 6760 Old 05-20-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:

The auto-update service does not do installs based upon the serial number. It does it based upon the model number or numbers inside the metadata.inf file.
post #5676 of 6760 Old 05-20-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyW75 View Post
The auto-update service does not do installs based upon the serial number. It does it based upon the model number or numbers inside the metadata.inf file.
Yes I realize thats how its done now. But is it impossible for Sony to change this (at least for this situation) to include a serial number validation tool to determine what model the FW is being attempted installation on?
simont77 likes this.

post #5677 of 6760 Old 05-20-2020, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
Who are "these two"?

You are the one that seems to be on a crusade... I can appreciate you wanting to share what you believe you know, but lots of folks here are going to take your very authoritative manner of delivering your message as "the gospel" and the reality is that there could be issues down the road. No one knows.

It’s not that complicated

You can reinstall the G firmware when the next H software comes out, in case that firmware doesn’t seem to work with G TV Sets

Or you can keep this H software on your G TV Set. And turn off new updates

Seriously it isn’t a big deal.

You’re making a mountain out of an ant hill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #5678 of 6760 Old 05-20-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Yes I realize thats how its done now. But is it impossible for Sony to change this (at least for this situation) to include a serial number validation tool to determine what model the FW is being attempted installation on?

This is not possible. Sony TV firmwares always rely on a hardware/model identifier. The serial number does not matter.
post #5679 of 6760 Old 05-20-2020, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Now of course some people will not like these settings, but its what I am using and it looks so much better than the stock settings that are applied when you switch to Game mode. Tweak it to your liking. And since my Switch and PS4 share the same HDMI port for now these are also what I use for PS4. I will probably switch up all my ports and settings when I get the PS5. But for now it looks and performs amazing!
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check this out when I do more Switch and PS4 gaming. So far I haven't done any - TV is only a week old.
post #5680 of 6760 Old 05-20-2020, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshuttari View Post
It’s not that complicated

You can reinstall the G firmware when the next H software comes out, in case that firmware doesn’t seem to work with G TV Sets

Or you can keep this H software on your G TV Set. And turn off new updates

Seriously it isn’t a big deal.

You’re making a mountain out of an ant hill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Don't think you can come back to G once you go to H firmware. I'm sure being on H will work out fine but I'm waiting for the moment.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #5681 of 6760 Old 05-20-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reechings View Post
Don't think you can come back to G once you go to H firmware. I'm sure being on H will work out fine but I'm waiting for the moment.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

You can install a newer G package, but not an old one. Sony only allows for firmware upgrades. You also can not install the same firmware package on top of the currently installed one. It is a one time install of each firmware on all TVs, unless the mainboard is replaced.
post #5682 of 6760 Old 05-20-2020, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I applaud the work Danny has done but I don't understand why he is so certain that things are/are not possible. Just because that's the way updates work now doesn't mean they can't change it if they wanted to.

On a previous post someone said "I did the update and have the 950H menus now. Still shows the TV as 950G in settings but firmware is that of the 950H"

So the TV knows it is an XG. All the new firmware has to do is read the same info that the settings menu does and then the firmware knows it is an XG too. They could even if they wanted do an update code that contains BOTH XG and XH firmware and then depending on the "settings" it installs the one for the real TV type and hence could revert everyone's XG running XH firmware back to XG firmware.

That might be extreme but IF the time ever comes that XH gets VRR enabled then could easily only do this for true XH and block it for XG running as XH. But at least in this situation you would retain the other benefits you already have.
galonzo likes this.
post #5683 of 6760 Old 05-20-2020, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Bottom line is that the firmware should not be able to be installed onto a different model. The reason you can update to the H firmware is totally Sony's fault. If sony wanted to lock the firmware to a specific model then they can. However, they left the door open for this. If someone installed this firmware on accident, Sony has to have a fix to assist that customer because the TV should validate the firmware and give an error/not install. Can someone install this firmware on accident? Sure, especially if you own both a G and H model. I used the same usb to update my TVs, However my 950 installed the H firmware instead. Now, it won't let me install the G firmware at all. Please help me Sony. Sony: we can not assist you with this because we believe you have been listening to Danny. You are doomed forever and will have to stay on your current firmware. I doubt that this will ever happen.
JFR0317 likes this.
post #5684 of 6760 Old 05-20-2020, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked: 7715
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencc3 View Post
Bottom line is that the firmware should not be able to be installed onto a different model. The reason you can update to the H firmware is totally Sony's fault.
Oh, Sony reads these threads, they are already on filling that loop hole I bet.
galonzo likes this.
post #5685 of 6760 Old 05-20-2020, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Reading the forum thread about the firmware..... what are the benefits of uploading H firmware over what's already installed within the x950g? Like what are the noticeable differences that would warrant the upgrade in spite of risk?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
post #5686 of 6760 Old 05-20-2020, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Geez people. Nobody is forcing anybody to take on any risk they're not comfortable with. I thank Danny for his efforts and communication. No need to kill the messenger.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

post #5687 of 6760 Old 05-20-2020, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwtsn32 View Post
I do, but I have only looked at the Switch for a minute since getting the TV last Monday. Is it with a specific game? Does the Switch home screen also look bad?
It's basically with every game because the home menu looks really bad too, very grainy/jaggy.

Quote:
I also use my Switch on my HDMI 2 sharing the input with my PS4 via an HDMI pigtail. When I put it in Game mode I did not like the way it looked. It was nice and responsive but I didnt like all the other changes that mode made. I loved the way it looked in Standard mode, but of course there was some input lag there. Well one thing I love about Sony TVs is they allow so much tweaking of settings even in Game mode. So what I did was copy most of the settings for standard mode and manually entered them in Game mode. And it now looks great, and still has the lack of lag. Heres my current settings.

Mode: Game
Auto Picture mode: Off
Light Sensor: Off
Bright: 35
Cont: 90
Gamma: 0
Black Level: 50
Black Adj: Med
Adv Con Enh: Med
Auto Local Dim: Med
X-Ten Dyn Range: Med

Color: 60
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Neutral (This one made the most difference for me and I prefer Neutral)
Adv Col Temp: All default
Live Color: Med
Per Color: All default

Sharp: 15 (This was also one I had to lower because there was too much grain look at higher levels)
Reality Creat: Auto
Resolution: 10
Random Noise: Off
Dig. Noise: Off
Smooth Grad.: Low

Motion Flow: Custom
Smooth: MIN
Clear: MIN
Cinemotion: Off

HDR Mode: Auto
HDMI Video: Auto
Color Space: Auto

Now of course some people will not like these settings, but its what I am using and it looks so much better than the stock settings that are applied when you switch to Game mode. Tweak it to your liking. And since my Switch and PS4 share the same HDMI port for now these are also what I use for PS4. I will probably switch up all my ports and settings when I get the PS5. But for now it looks and performs amazing!
Thanks! I will definitely give these settings a try. One question, do you use the enhanced HDMI ports option on the HDMI port the Switch is on? Like the option that enhances the 4k signal, it's found in the "External inputs" section of the TV. I'm not sure if the Switch supports it, or if there are any negative impacts if it's applied.
post #5688 of 6760 Old 05-20-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omiexstrike View Post
It's basically with every game because the home menu looks really bad too, very grainy/jaggy.

Thanks! I will definitely give these settings a try. One question, do you use the enhanced HDMI ports option on the HDMI port the Switch is on? Like the option that enhances the 4k signal, it's found in the "External inputs" section of the TV. I'm not sure if the Switch supports it, or if there are any negative impacts if it's applied.
Yes I have that setting turned on on all my HDMI ports

post #5689 of 6760 Old 05-20-2020, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Yes I have that setting turned on on all my HDMI ports
Thanks, I just tried out your settings and it made it a little better. The only thing I tweaked after copying your settings was the brightness, I turned mine down to 9. The switch menu still looks a little jaggy and some games like Animal Crossing, but it seems like it's better than before. I'm starting to think that's just how the Switch might be though.
post #5690 of 6760 Old 05-20-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omiexstrike View Post
Thanks, I just tried out your settings and it made it a little better. The only thing I tweaked after copying your settings was the brightness, I turned mine down to 9. The switch menu still looks a little jaggy and some games like Animal Crossing, but if t seems like it's better than before. I'm starting to think that's just how the Switch might be though.
If you have another TV connect the switch to that and see if it looks the same then you'll know it's not the TV settings

post #5691 of 6760 Old 05-20-2020, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I posted earlier that I was taking delivery of a new 950G today. I did install the G, then H updates. Having not really watched the TV more than a couple of minutes with anything but the H update, I can't comment on the improvements. I will say that I'm still experimenting with settings, as the TV looks good but is not blowing me away yet. I'm trying Cinema with Expert 1 white balance, and it's even warmer than the Warm setting, colors are too muted for my taste, and it's not as detailed and sharp as I expected. I'm giving it a few days for my eyes to adjust though.

Mine also still reports that it's a 950G. One other note in case someone else runs into it - at one worrying point the TV seemed to freeze up. I could not select anything or navigate. I tried a few ways of resetting before discovering the manual buttons on the back of the set. Since those did allow bare bones navigation, I realized the problem was not the TV, nor the Android interface because all the problems were when using the Remote. I had already done the update on that as well, so I thought maybe it needed rebooting or a reset. I took the batteries out of the remote for about five minutes, tried it again, and all was well. So if things freeze after the H and remote updates, try resetting the remote this way.
post #5692 of 6760 Old 05-20-2020, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quick question. My TV is not switching to Dolby Vision in the YouTube app using the native app. Should I be getting it, or can you not get Dolby Vision through the native app?

It auto switches perfectly on every other source for Dolby Vision.
galonzo likes this.
post #5693 of 6760 Old 05-20-2020, 09:16 PM

Yes, people have complained in PM, and people are complaining to Sony as well.
post #5694 of 6760 Old 05-20-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonmac View Post
I posted earlier that I was taking delivery of a new 950G today. I did install the G, then H updates. Having not really watched the TV more than a couple of minutes with anything but the H update, I can't comment on the improvements. I will say that I'm still experimenting with settings, as the TV looks good but is not blowing me away yet. I'm trying Cinema with Expert 1 white balance, and it's even warmer than the Warm setting, colors are too muted for my taste, and it's not as detailed and sharp as I expected. I'm giving it a few days for my eyes to adjust though.

Mine also still reports that it's a 950G. One other note in case someone else runs into it - at one worrying point the TV seemed to freeze up. I could not select anything or navigate. I tried a few ways of resetting before discovering the manual buttons on the back of the set. Since those did allow bare bones navigation, I realized the problem was not the TV, nor the Android interface because all the problems were when using the Remote. I had already done the update on that as well, so I thought maybe it needed rebooting or a reset. I took the batteries out of the remote for about five minutes, tried it again, and all was well. So if things freeze after the H and remote updates, try resetting the remote this way.

After installing the X950H firmware update, the X950G and X950H both require a factory reset of the TV.
post #5695 of 6760 Old 05-21-2020, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyW75 View Post
After installing the X950H firmware update, the X950G and X950H both require a factory reset of the TV.
Yes, I did that. My issue was with the remote freezing until I "rebooted" it.

Thanks for all your info in this thread - much appreciated.
post #5696 of 6760 Old 05-21-2020, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone use the Google Home with this TV? Almost everything seems to te be working right, it recognizes every command other than one. I can't turn off the TV using voice command on the Google assistant. Anyone has the same issue?
post #5697 of 6760 Old 05-21-2020, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2210 Post(s)
Liked: 2710
Been out of the loop for a while and happened to pop in. Bottom line on this firmware thing is that the only difference is the GUI between the two. The menu graphics are the only differences and granted, the new menus and such are nice. No doubt that the GUI changes has been in the works for a while now. Don't be surprised if the exact same interface comes to the XG in the not too distant future. By releasing it to the XH first, they get to hear feedback from a smaller group (much easier to respond to if the response is negative). Once they are happy with the consumer response to the interface then they can feel more confident with a much larger release to the other models that can/do support it.

As far as all the comments about crippling firmware...that's a bit disingenuous. Every single manufacturer controls "their" firmware to establish their product line. Thanks to the discount of scale, it ends up being cheaper for them to buy hardware that has the capability of supporting their desired features for their flagship product. They can then "dumb-down" said hardware via firmware to establish their product line. If you want all the bells and whistles you pay for the flagship...if you don't care about those things you save money and move down the product line. That's the way things work, have worked, and will continue to work in the CE (and most other) world.

Just my $0.02 worth...I'm sure I'll get flamed but who cares.
galonzo and Cheddarhead like this.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #5698 of 6760 Old 05-21-2020, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
I spent some time last night watching different clips of HDR and Dolby Vision. Coming from a 75” X850C, I have to say, this set has some mind blowing moments.

I’m not remotely as picky as some, but I’m getting very little blooming, as deep of blacks as I’ve ever seen on an LCD TV, and certain moments of brightness that made me squint in my darkened room.

Oddly enough, the TV looked better yesterday than it did the day before, which was the first day I got it. I can’t really explain that TBH.

I also played Call of Duty on Xbox one X, and it’s ridiculous how much better this TV handles motion in that game over the x850c. Just a much, much smoother and richer experience.
post #5699 of 6760 Old 05-21-2020, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 53
post #5700 of 6760 Old 05-21-2020, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Thought I would share my recommended picture and audio presets for the X950G with everyone.

https://imgur.com/gallery/r2yhJJx

I welcome any feedback you might have.
mikoko1966 likes this.

TV: Sony XBR-65X950G, AVR: Denon AVR-X3600H, Speakers: Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1, Blu-ray: Sony BDP-S6200 (Region Free), 4K Blu-ray: LG UBK80, Media Players: Nvidia Shield TV 2015, Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K & Apple TV HD 64GB

Last edited by 88keyz; 05-21-2020 at 07:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolby atmos , sony 950g 85" , x95g

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page