2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 195 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2084Likes

post #5821 of 5998 Old 05-23-2020, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg53 View Post
Your X950G and our Z9Fs share the same firmware packages. Our YouTube app’s became stable for us after a previous FW update.

We are OCD about our home network equipment and managing the cable modem, which has minimized streaming issues for us. Here’s what we do:

1). Do not use Sony’s internal wifi, use ethernet cable from the TV to the wifi modem.
2). Use only Blue Jeans Cable BJC C6P Certified CAT6 ethernet cables throughout our home. Read about their testing on their website: https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store...bles/index.htm
3). Reboot the cable modem daily by unplugging the power supply for 10 seconds, then plug it back in (clears accumulated cable modem cache and electrical anomalies, eliminates a LOT of issues). The cable modem and ethernet cables are the first things all streaming content go through; if issues start with either, nothing else will correct them.
4). Leave eARC OFF, it’s been a mess since Android 9 “Pie” was introduced. Sony has been “working on it” but no firmware fix released yet.
5). Set an HDMI port that is directly connected to a cable or satellite tv tuner to a STANDARD signal, not Enhanced as recently recommended in a Sony service notice. Also a mess since Android 9.
4). Replace ALL HDMI cables with 28awg Certified Premium HDMI cables (we use Monoprice).
5). Perform a hard reboot (not a factory reset) of the TV after each firmware update.
Thanks Bobby,

Just for reference, TV is in general not very important to us except for watching sports (football), occasional movies, etc. I do like a quality picture and when I do watch something I enjoy things looking nice. 2 channel audio is a passion of mine so I do understand where you are coming from in your reply (I gave up 5 ch AVR listening about 10 years ago when I returned to 2 ch audio instead).

I do appreciate your list but at some level it still avoids what I cannot understand.

All 3 Sony TVs were bought in January 2020.

65 inch 900F in master bedroom - 0 problems with built in apps. Youtube TV never a hiccup. It just works.
65 inch A8G OLED in main family room. 0 problems with built in apps. Youtube TV never a hiccup. It just works.

85 inch 950G in downstairs family area. Youtube apps frequently require TV to be hard booted. Makes no difference if connected via wifi or ethernet cable. Multiple Ethernet cables used. All Cat 6.Same problem. Netflix app, Amazon Prime app, no problems

All 3 of these sets have the latest firmware but only the 950G has the app problems. If I do a hard restart daily on the TV it rarely has an app problem.

We have no satellite or cable boxes in the home. Only regular TV now is via Youtube TV. We decided to cut costs as compared to satellite.

If I had to do a hard reboot of our mesh network daily which in turn would create other issues I'd probably be more peeved!

I let go of this being an irritant once I realized neither Sony nor my local retailer were going to address the issue. I can do a power restart on the TV or use the Roke stick. am leaning toward the latter. It never fails. I would still prefer to have the Smart TV we bought to actually be Smart. Thus the question related to the 950H firmware, if anything in it had helped with the built in app issues some have reported.

I do appreciate the suggestions though. It just doesn't seem to me anyone should have to go through that to use the built in apps. I have had linux based things in the past that required a reboot every week or two, but that is a far cry from being daily. Our app lockups stay the same whether wireless or wired. Roku, just works. Makes it easier to see when the 900F and A8G on same network (wireless) have 0 app issues. Just something with our 950G!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5822 of 5998 Old 05-23-2020, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck Liskay View Post
I need help because I am kind of an idiot. This may have occurred after the latest update as everything was fine. I am getting no sound through my Denon 1300W receiver when receiver is in TV audio mode. I am able to get sound through the other receiver modes such as Bluetooth. I have checked all of the settings on that and nothing has changed. Mute is not on, volume is up, cables are securely attached, TV is set on correct setting for the receiver. I am using the Optical Digital Cable. I even switched to a new cable. Same results. The sound on the 950G is working fine when on TV Speakers.
Any help from you experts would be appreciated.
Have you checked to make sure that the optical port you are plugging the TV into is assigned to the TV Audio input?

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX1300W/N...SYicezyjvb.php

TV: Sony XBR-65X950G, AVR: Denon AVR-X3600H, Speakers: Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1, Blu-ray: Sony BDP-S6200 (Region Free), 4K Blu-ray: LG UBK80, Media Players: Nvidia Shield TV 2015, Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K & Apple TV HD 64GB
post #5823 of 5998 Old 05-23-2020, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
[quote=88keyz;59697284]Have you checked to make sure that the optical port you are plugging the TV into is assigned to the TV Audio input?

Yes I have checked that. It has always been plugged in to the same port. I did plug/unplug both ends to no avail. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5824 of 5998 Old 05-23-2020, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis37 View Post
Have multiple times cleared cache, cleared data, reinstalled youtube apps. Have done a factory reset. Sony of course fixated on our internet even after proving to themselves it was not our internet. The other two Sony TVs in the house are running fine on the same internet and their built in apps are fine. The TV having the problems is also closest to our mesh network sources. Course going hardwired ethernet kind of eliminated the mesh network part.

But using the built in apps I normally have to force the TV restart daily if I want to use them. Roku, no issues. But really wanted a single remote control, single interface, etc.

I used the youtube app for the first time today on the H firmware and it stopped playing after about 2-3 seconds. I restarted the TV and now it plays normally. Don't know if it's a one time thing or not. The only other app I have downloaded is Smart IPTV and that works fine.
post #5825 of 5998 Old 05-23-2020, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
If I had to do a hard reboot of our mesh network daily which in turn would create other issues I'd probably be more peeved!
We reboot the cable modem daily, not the wifi (mesh) router. Existing device connections to the wifi router remain intact during a cable modem reboot.

In our experience, though, every time we add/replace anything to our wifi (mesh) router, bad things sometimes start happening that are eventually resolved with a reboot of the wifi router, which we avoid doing unless all else fails.

Hope things will stabilize and you are able to enjoy your set.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
Sony XBR65Z9F & HT-ST5000/Panasonic UB820/Netgear R7800/DirecTV HS17/Synology DS216+/Furman PST-8D & AC-215A
Sony XBR75Z9F/Paradigm Soundscape/SVS SB-2000/ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/TP-Link AV1300/DirecTV C61K/Furman PST-8D
post #5826 of 5998 Old 05-23-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
We reboot the cable modem daily, not the wifi (mesh) router. Existing device connections to the wifi router remain intact during a cable modem reboot.

In our experience, though, every time we add/replace anything to our wifi (mesh) router, bad things sometimes start happening that are eventually resolved with a reboot of the wifi router, which we avoid doing unless all else fails.

Hope things will stabilize and you are able to enjoy your set.
Bobby,

I understand more clearly now regarding the modem. When we first moved in this home, before we had bought the Sony TVs, we had to reboot the cable modem once due to our mesh system running very slowly. Since that time, modem reboots have been few and far between.

When I was dealing with Sony on the phone they were fixated on our network. I am guessing right wrong or otherwise, people's home networks cause many problems and it becomes an easy target for Sony help. With each phone call I would end up at square 1 and have to go through all the network testing even though a history of this was in the case number I had started. That got a bit tiresome.

I don't see how this is a network issue given our other 2 Sony's have had zero issues with the built in app. The Best Buy forum was the first I had seen with multiple people expressing similar issues. Obviously a lot of people may not be using the built in youtube app.

I am mostly happy with the TV though I did find the Samsung higher end QLED sets to have a better picture albeit at higher prices. Course had we been able to change the TV we may well have gotten into other issues. You never know what you don't know type thing. Overall we enjoy the TV and what it brings. We can use the roku stick. It would be nice to understand why this series of TVs are having the problem while the previous years A8G and 900F do not have the same issue.

Thanks for your time to help though. It is appreciated.
bobbyg53 likes this.
post #5827 of 5998 Old 05-23-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqn99 View Post
I used the youtube app for the first time today on the H firmware and it stopped playing after about 2-3 seconds. I restarted the TV and now it plays normally. Don't know if it's a one time thing or not. The only other app I have downloaded is Smart IPTV and that works fine.
Thanks. What you are describing is exactly what I usually see on this end. Sometimes the Youtube app will freeze with the rotating circle but other times I will get what you got.. about 3 seconds of playback then freeze. Once that happens it becomes very repeatable too.

This would imply the H firmware did nothing to address the problem. Thanks for sharing that.
post #5828 of 5998 Old 05-23-2020, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
We reboot the cable modem daily, not the wifi (mesh) router.
Yikes! I'm glad I don't have to do that with my cable modem. In my opinion anything that requires regular reboots is faulty.

I second a lot of your recommendations: using wired ethernet if possible, making sure you have quality cables, etc. A lot of people have crappy wifi and/or routers - there's a lot of junk out there.
post #5829 of 5998 Old 05-23-2020, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyW75 View Post
This is how to install the X950H firmware on your X950G. First, download the current X950G firmware, and the current X950H firmware at the links. The size of the TV does not matter. The firmware update is the same for all sizes. If you currently have the latest X950G May 13th firmware installed through auto update over the last couple days, you only need to install the X950H firmware. If you have not got the auto update for the X950G firmware yet, then you need to install the X950G firmware first, and then the X950H firmware afterwards.

If you need to install both firmware updates, do not put both on the USB stick at the same time. Update the TV with only one firmware on the USB stick at a time.

To update through USB, first download the firmware zip from Sony. Next, extract the zip. Inside that, you will find a folder with another zip file in it. This zip file is the firmware. Take that zip file, and put that on a USB thumb drive. Make sure nothing else is on the USB drive. Connect the USB thumb drive to any USB port on the TV. It will immediately start the update process. The update process is the same for both updates. After doing the X950H firmware update, be sure to factory reset the TV. This is required due to changes being made in this firmware to bluetooth features on the two TVs

If you can't seem to update, then you did the procedure incorrectly. That is all there is to it. The X950H firmware works on every X950G TV.
I just received my USB drive and tried to do the update. I extracted the Sony update files and put the first update on it, plugged it into my TV but nothing happened. A prompt came up asking if I wanted to look at the contents of the drive, or use it as a storage device. Both options did not lead to an update. I tried copying the "compatibility.zip" file to the USB drive; didn't work. Then I tried copying the 3 files within the "compatibility.zip" file to the USB drive; still didn't work. Could you help clarify where I'm messing up here? I tried to follow your instructions to a T as they really are straight-forward and simple, but maybe I'm misunderstanding something.
post #5830 of 5998 Old 05-23-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I know we are an outlier in that we actually wanted a Smart TV for it to be actually smart.
I struggled with the apps for far too long on my 850C model TV. The SoC in that TV was so slow the apps were horrible to use. Ended up switching to a Roku Ultra and didn't look back.

When I upgraded to the 950G TV we just kept using the Roku Ultra - I didn't even try the native apps. It's a shame that they still perform so poorly.
post #5831 of 5998 Old 05-23-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sd 408 View Post
I just received my USB drive and tried to do the update. I extracted the Sony update files and put the first update on it, plugged it into my TV but nothing happened. A prompt came up asking if I wanted to look at the contents of the drive, or use it as a storage device. Both options did not lead to an update. I tried copying the "compatibility.zip" file to the USB drive; didn't work. Then I tried copying the 3 files within the "compatibility.zip" file to the USB drive; still didn't work. Could you help clarify where I'm messing up here? I tried to follow your instructions to a T as they really are straight-forward and simple, but maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

Did you extract the inner ZIP file? If so, don't do that. The download does need to be unzipped once, but place the inner ZIP file directly on the USB drive (in the root directory). You should only have that one file on the USB drive: sony_dtv0FA70A0BA0AB_00004300_16047381000608.zip
post #5832 of 5998 Old 05-23-2020, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I'm starting to think with this new algo you might be able to do a little more with the other functions like advanced contrast enhancer. D-Nice, if you wouldn't mind letting us in on best settings with this with the new algo?
post #5833 of 5998 Old 05-23-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwtsn32 View Post
I struggled with the apps for far too long on my 850C model TV. The SoC in that TV was so slow the apps were horrible to use. Ended up switching to a Roku Ultra and didn't look back.

When I upgraded to the 950G TV we just kept using the Roku Ultra - I didn't even try the native apps. It's a shame that they still perform so poorly.
I've been very disappointed across the board, from the local retailer we bought from to keep money local (approx $12K total), and with Sony for their genuine lack of effort. I have had true difficulty getting anyone to digest the fact our A8G and 900F televisions are running off of wifi and their youtube apps are having zero issues. If our 950G were running like they are I would have had no complaints.

But is automatically goes to the internet or the wifi and so forth. Every call.. how far from the router is your TV? Uh.. it's connected via Ethernet. Why are you only getting 95 mbps from your 400 mbps network? Hmm maybe because your Ethernet is limited to 100. Our other 2 Sony TVs are connected via Wifi, further from the router, and neither are having any problems. Ok let's reinstall the app. Let's do another factory reset.

I quit contacting them when Covid 19 closed their phone support. Now that i know the 950H is essentially the same TV it does not sound hopeful there will be a solution to this other than restart the TV daily (or more often) or use the Roku stick. I was really hoping to eliminate using multiple remote controls. Obviously the world will keep turning and this isn't anything super major such as the yellow screen tint the previous television displayed (watching lime green splotchy football fields was a bit distracting), but it is annoying how there is no help or even acknowledgement. The Best Buy forum I found showing others were having similar problems was locked down quickly.
post #5834 of 5998 Old 05-23-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:
I was really hoping to eliminate using multiple remote controls.
If all we are going to watch is Roku based apps we only need the Roku remote. The Roku Ultra supports HDMI CEC so when I hit the home button on the Roku remote, it turns on the TV and switches to that input. The volume buttons on the Roku remote control the TV volume. And the power button will turn the TV off. I don't use the Sony TV remote normally.
post #5835 of 5998 Old 05-23-2020, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 7
For the ones asking about YouTube issues with the H firmware On the 950g. I been watching YouTube all evening and have experienced zero issues. . Been playing flawlessly
post #5836 of 5998 Old 05-24-2020, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 38
2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

I hate the Sony Remote

It’s too big and button layout is too far away

Can anyone recommend another Sony remote that is small and feels more sleek and efficient?

Or a Universal Remote control?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #5837 of 5998 Old 05-24-2020, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Does the x950h remote have backlit keys? Anyone know if it works with x950g and what the model number is?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #5838 of 5998 Old 05-24-2020, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by reechings View Post
Does the x950h remote have backlit keys? Anyone know if it works with x950g and what the model number is?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
It depends on where you got the H. The model #kd-55xh9505 comes with the backlit one with the model # shown here. On a polish site they show an awesome KD-55XH9505 remote that is metal and backlit. I did some googling and found the part #. Its RMF-TX611. Theres a lot more info and more posts I did in the H forum. To sum it up its hard to find, and the one site where it was found may or may not actually have it. But for sure the 8K Z8H comes with that same remote RMF-TX611U. So it will eventually be available. It looks almost exactly like our stock G one with a couple buttons that are different labels, and backlit. And the light can be turned off as well since there are reports it eats up the batteries quick. But Ill definitely buy it since I only use rechargeable AA's. Just hope all the buttons work as intended.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RMF-TX611U.png
Views:	122
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	2731720  

He Loved Us Enough to Die For Us, Love Him Enough to Live For Him!

Last edited by Gam3r 4 Life; 05-24-2020 at 12:47 AM.
post #5839 of 5998 Old 05-24-2020, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
You are from Poland ?
post #5840 of 5998 Old 05-24-2020, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoko1966 View Post
You are from Poland ?
If you're asking me. No. USA

He Loved Us Enough to Die For Us, Love Him Enough to Live For Him!
post #5841 of 5998 Old 05-24-2020, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It would be awesome if someone who hasn't yet updated to an x950h software but intends to, to do a comparison video of the local dimming algo on the x950g software vs updated x950h software. If there's an EU version coming soon I might do it but until then I hope someone would be nice enough to record some videos just to see that improvement/difference some users noticed.

Last edited by PernusGre; 05-24-2020 at 02:22 AM.
post #5842 of 5998 Old 05-24-2020, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PernusGre View Post
It would be awesome if someone who hasn't yet updated to an x950h software but intends to, to do a comparison video of the local dimming algo on the x950g software vs updated x950h software. If there's an EU version coming soon I might do it but until then I hope someone would be nice enough to record some videos just to see that improvement/difference some users noticed.
I can definitely do that. I have the latest G firmware. Need to know everything that I need to record for comparison since as soon as I apply the H firmware (if it ever comes out in Europe...) I can't go back to record anything on the G. So, settings, criteria, etc., let me know and I'll record for comparison.
txjohns likes this.

Sony 85XG950 | Denon AVR-X4500H | 2x Klipsch RP8000F | 2x Klipsch RP500M | 3x Klipsch RP640D | 2x Klipsch RP240D | 2x Klipsch RP500SA | 2x SVS PB1000 | Emotiva A-300 | Emotiva A-700 | Emotiva A-5175 | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Vero4K+ | Nvidia shield TV | PS4pro | Onkyo 9010 | 2x Magnat Shadow 207 | Sony HT-ZF9 | NAD T778
never underestimate the power of denial.
post #5843 of 5998 Old 05-24-2020, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PernusGre View Post
I can definitely do that. I have the latest G firmware. Need to know everything that I need to record for comparison since as soon as I apply the H firmware (if it ever comes out in Europe...) I can't go back to record anything on the G. So, settings, criteria, etc., let me know and I'll record for comparison.
That would be really helpful and interesting to see. I wasn't thinking anything special, custom picture preset with local dimming on high and/or medium and a couple of youtube videos (the rtings test: https://youtu.be/qmL2H2WPQL8 and some other more "real life" (hdr would be best) content like this one for example https://youtu.be/7Y9nX0QHqzA
Other suggestions welcomed of course

Last edited by PernusGre; 05-24-2020 at 04:59 AM.
post #5844 of 5998 Old 05-24-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techguy361 View Post
For the ones asking about YouTube issues with the H firmware On the 950g. I been watching YouTube all evening and have experienced zero issues. . Been playing flawlessly
Thanks Techguy. If you are using the android apps within the set, please post again in the future about this. The latest firmware for me has improved *some*. At one time freeze ups were guaranteed every morning and sometimes during the day. It then improved to mostly every morning . So if you are not seeing any freeze ups with youtube or youtube TV then perhaps I'll try the H firmware.

Only reason I am holding off is I do not want to give Sony another distraction to look at when/if I call them again.
post #5845 of 5998 Old 05-24-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwtsn32 View Post
If all we are going to watch is Roku based apps we only need the Roku remote. The Roku Ultra supports HDMI CEC so when I hit the home button on the Roku remote, it turns on the TV and switches to that input. The volume buttons on the Roku remote control the TV volume. And the power button will turn the TV off. I don't use the Sony TV remote normally.
True regarding roku channel viewing. And it may be a lot of owners are not using the built in apps. Most likely we'll end up using the roku from necessity and not wanting to continue pushing a rope up a mountain given Sony's response thus far. At least the Roku remote does that much.

But it is a work around for something Sony sold me that doesn't exactly work. And only with our 950G. Sony won't touch that, either. Our OLED set and 900F bedroom set have zero issues with the built in apps yet Sony harps on our network. Frustrating. And to throw blame to Google for the youtube apps comes back to the same fact the other 2 televisions are working fine.

We have a 4K player also connected to the 950G which gets some use. Perhaps in time a firmware will come out and the problem will "mysteriously" disappear, a fix without any admittance
post #5846 of 5998 Old 05-24-2020, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Thanks Techguy. If you are using the android apps within the set, please post again in the future about this. The latest firmware for me has improved *some*. At one time freeze ups were guaranteed every morning and sometimes during the day. It then improved to mostly every morning . So if you are not seeing any freeze ups with youtube or youtube TV then perhaps I'll try the H firmware.

Only reason I am holding off is I do not want to give Sony another distraction to look at when/if I call them again.
I am using android apps on my XG daily. Mostly Disney+ (with kids at home all the time), but also Amazon, Netflix, and YouTube. Never had any problems with apps freezing, before or after the latest update (I'm now on v6.3626). I did experience absence of sound from these apps when using the AVR a couple of times, but so far nothing like that after the update. Certainly nothing like you describe.

Now, I do unplug the TV every evening when I go to bed - typically I unplug (more precisely, turn off the power with the switch on the surge protector) all of my electronics when it's not in use. Maybe that's a contributing factor, I don't know. But that's my experience so far.

Sony KD-65XG9505 - STR-DN1080 - UBP-X800
post #5847 of 5998 Old 05-24-2020, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Does anyone have any experience with the Hue Sync Box and this TV? I’ve read that it will passthrough Dolby Vision but will not adjust colors when it gets a DV signal. I haven’t read if it passes Atmos okay or not. It’s an intriguing idea, but I’m 100% out if there are any degradations to picture or sound quality.
post #5848 of 5998 Old 05-24-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifexx View Post
I am using android apps on my XG daily. Mostly Disney+ (with kids at home all the time), but also Amazon, Netflix, and YouTube. Never had any problems with apps freezing, before or after the latest update (I'm now on v6.3626). I did experience absence of sound from these apps when using the AVR a couple of times, but so far nothing like that after the update. Certainly nothing like you describe.

Now, I do unplug the TV every evening when I go to bed - typically I unplug (more precisely, turn off the power with the switch on the surge protector) all of my electronics when it's not in use. Maybe that's a contributing factor, I don't know. But that's my experience so far.
Thanks. I suspect your power cycling is the key. I normally saw the freezes when the TV was turned on for first time in the next day. A hard restart or a power strip turn off, unplug, etc. would always result in the TV apps working for the remainder of the day (had some occasional freezes during the day after a power cycle but not common). I found some obscure power/energy settings for individual apps and changed those settings. Given it seemed like the freezes were happening first thing in the "next day" it made me curios if this were a IP address change which a "slumbering" 950G wasn't following. But the freeze ups were mostly with the youtube apps. But again only with the 950G.

For a while I did essentially what you are doing. I would just do a hard restart of the TV first thing. It is a workaround that does seem to work. Takes about 2 minutes or so for the TV to boot I guess. Not a huge deal obviously. Part of me is bugged by wanting to understand the "why" part. Why are our A8G and 900F TVs able to function as advertised but our 950G is not? All bought at same time. The 950G though does have a lot of different firmware options the other 2 TVs do not have.

Thanks for taking the time to post your experiences. is very appreciated!
post #5849 of 5998 Old 05-24-2020, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Our OLED set and 900F bedroom set have zero issues with the built in apps . . . the other 2 televisions are working fine.
Good morning - due to their older-generation MediaTek chipsets, the 900F and A8G both use the previous-generation Google Android 8 “Oreo” operating system software. Sony TVs like the 950G/H and our Z9Fs with MediaTek MT5893 or newer chipsets now have Google Android 9 “Pie” operating system software.

Built-in app’s such as YouTube are part of Google’s Android operating system. We believe that HDMI, ARC, and eARC issues are Sony’s. Android app issues are Google’s . . . assuming a “clean” in-home network.

We ran the YouTube app on our sets again last night, flawless operation on both. Note we always set all of the Android app and SAMBA permissions to OFF via Sony’s SETTINGS menu. We don’t use the TV for calendars, text messaging, voice communication, email, etc. nor do we want Google monitoring what we do. Turning OFF those permissions eliminates a lot of background internet/OS “noise”, which may be one reason that the Android app’s work as expected for us.
unifexx likes this.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
Sony XBR65Z9F & HT-ST5000/Panasonic UB820/Netgear R7800/DirecTV HS17/Synology DS216+/Furman PST-8D & AC-215A
Sony XBR75Z9F/Paradigm Soundscape/SVS SB-2000/ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/TP-Link AV1300/DirecTV C61K/Furman PST-8D

Last edited by bobbyg53; 05-24-2020 at 09:36 AM.
post #5850 of 5998 Old 05-24-2020, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sd 408 View Post
Hi,

I was experiencing the same issue as you until I realized that I was downloading and extracting the download files with the wrong browser

Are you using a Mac?
Are you downloading file using Safari browser?

If yes, then try using a different browser to download update files.
Once I used Chrome, instead of Safari, the upgrade files worked on my USB drive for my X950G.
The Chrome browser will extract the file properly and used you should be golden.

You may have to restart your tv 1 or 2x's after plugging drive into tv, if your tv doesn't recognize the USB drive automatically.

DO NOT RESTART TV ONCE UPDATE BEGINS! Let the update complete and do it's thing!

Once update completes, tv will restart on it's own and you should be greeted with updated tv.

I hope this works for you...it was causing me to pull my hair out til I figured it out

Good Luck

Den: Sony XBR75x950g, Marantz sr8012, ATV4k, Sony X800M2/Oppo bdp105, Emotiva XPR-5/UPA-2, NHT ClassicThree+C3C/iC4x4, SVS SB-16Ultra/Hsu VTF-15,7.2.4
Bedroom: Samsung 64f8500, Denon 4311, ATVHD, Oppo bdp93, NHT Absolute Towers x2, Classic2Center, Classic2 Surround, M&K sub 5.1
Headbanging: MacMini/Roon/Tidal, Oppo HA-1, ProJect PreBox s2, Oppo PM-1, Senheisser 6xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolby atmos , sony 950g 85" , x95g

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page