2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 200 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2370Likes

post #5971 of 6675 Old 05-27-2020, 02:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by diaconusm View Post
You did? Im interested - tell me where please.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5972 of 6675 Old 05-27-2020, 02:36 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoko1966 View Post
Thank you.
I don't think it refers to all the TV settings but only to the changes made in "Pro settings" - which can be copied later to the same TV model. It needs to be tested... I argued with Sony about it (professional calibration after firmware update) and contacted the service for further clarification on the factory reset - they told me that unfortunately I will have to re-enter all the settings manually, including professional calibration. Maybe one of the colleagues here who didn't manage to make the transition, for the G model, to the latest firmware for the H, to do this experiment and communicate to us - it would be exceptional to be able to copy all the settings with the USB stick.
post #5973 of 6675 Old 05-27-2020, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2753 Post(s)
Liked: 4933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gam3r 4 Life View Post
Sorry about that. I really hate the mobile version of the site. Heres the pics again showing what happens with my Bluetooth. When I click turn on BT it shows its on but isnt. Then when I try to add remote in the remotes and accessories/ remote control/ connect via BT I get that 2nd error after the "Turning on BT" message appears then fails. And there is no way to unpair the remote because it isnt paired. Its only working via IR. I tried twice to clear the BT cache and data hoping that might help, but it did nothing.

I also just tried something I read on Reddit. Unplugging TV for 2 minutes, taking batteries out of remote. Then trying again. No change.

Not sure what else to do other than another full reset/ set up, which Ill try again later. But even after I did that last time my S10 would not connect which is why I cleared the BT data in apps/ system apps the first time trying to get it to stay connected. When it connects it only stays connected for like 2 seconds then disconnects with noting happening when I click connect again. I had to unpair the S10 completely, repair, but like I said it only lasted for like 2 seconds. This sucks, I thought everything was perfect.
In your situation, you have to manually unpair the remote from the remote and then re-pair it. Once you re-pair the remote, it should immediately ask to update the software. Let it do it’s thing and you should be golden.
jefflackey and galonzo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5974 of 6675 Old 05-27-2020, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 30
@D-Nice , do you have recommended general settings for the 950G short of a full calibration setup, or, since you are typically doing a full professional calibration and the general settings that are specific to that calibration, do you not have advice for those of us without a true calibration? I did my calibration back in the day with the Panny Plasma's because I have worked in labs where we do very meticulous color matching and I have a very good color eye, which can be a curse for home TV viewing, and I'm very familiar with color measurements, but I get lost with all of the general settings and what they actually do and what is needed to get the best PQ outside of delta Es on color.

Thanks
post #5975 of 6675 Old 05-27-2020, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflackey View Post
@D-Nice , do you have recommended general settings for the 950G short of a full calibration setup, or, since you are typically doing a full professional calibration and the general settings that are specific to that calibration, do you not have advice for those of us without a true calibration? I did my calibration back in the day with the Panny Plasma's because I have worked in labs where we do very meticulous color matching and I have a very good color eye, which can be a curse for home TV viewing, and I'm very familiar with color measurements, but I get lost with all of the general settings and what they actually do and what is needed to get the best PQ outside of delta Es on color.
I'm by no means a professional calibrator but have you tried my settings from this post? According to RTINGS the factory calibration on the X950G is very good (best they have ever measured in fact) so simply choosing the right factory settings can produce excellent results.

That said if D-Nice does have any recommendations or settings to share I would also love to hear them.
galonzo likes this.

TV: Sony XBR-65X950G, AVR: Denon AVR-X3600H, Speakers: Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1, Blu-ray: Sony BDP-S6200 (Region Free), 4K Blu-ray: LG UBK80, Media Players: Nvidia Shield TV 2015, Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K & Apple TV HD 64GB
post #5976 of 6675 Old 05-27-2020, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keyz View Post
I'm by no means a professional calibrator but have you tried my settings from this post? According to RTINGS the factory calibration on the X950G is very good (best they have ever measured in fact) so simply choosing the right factory settings can produce excellent results.

That said if D-Nice does have any recommendations or settings to share I would also love to hear them.

Thanks, I've actually been using the settings from fadetoblack's youtube videos. But that's all I've been using so no comparisons. My ignorance is really understanding what all the settings actually do/affect. One issue I have is, having moved recently into an apartment temporarily, while we look for a new house in our new location, I was forced to change from Dish to Spectrum/Charter at the same time as I purchased my new 65" 950G. The PQ from the cable is pretty poor, but it appears the PQ from the networks down here (Birmingham) is pretty poor. Youtube TV just sends you the network feeds so it can't improve on them for the networks. The PQ on these networks is not the crisp, HD PQ I was used to with Directv and Dish, even though it says it's 1080p. So trying to make that as good as I can (PQ on good quality feeds like Netflix or Prime is good.) Not sure what to fiddle with to optimize the PQ.

Also, we do watch some lower quality older shows on Prime, and trying to figure out how to minimize the bad in those.

I have a couple of new Shield TVs, but I've been told the upscaling on the 950G is superior to those (even by Shield fans) though I'm not even sure where that setting is on the 950g! (yeah, I'm a total idiot on this TV, even though I'm a real techie on everything else!)
post #5977 of 6675 Old 05-27-2020, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Native or internal apps would be anything installed on the TV from the factory, via Google Play or manually via the APK.
So if all of those are native internal apps (and have problems with audio) what are examples of external apps I can install on my X950G that will work with audio on eARC? Like how would I watch Netflix or use players that can play legally free videos?

Or by external app do you mean something that totally bypasses my TV, like firestick or roku?

Jim
post #5978 of 6675 Old 05-27-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguysb View Post
So if all of those are native internal apps (and have problems with audio) what are examples of external apps I can install on my X950G that will work with audio on eARC? Like how would I watch Netflix or use players that can play legally free videos?

Or by external app do you mean something that totally bypasses my TV, like firestick or roku?
Yeah, internal would be any app installed directly on the TV from any APK source and external would be from an outside source like, as you said, a Fire TV Stick, Roku or Shield TV. All external sources should work with ARC/eARC and in the case of an eARC connection to your soundbar or receiver they would be able to pass uncompressed HD audio streams. Internal sources can only pass compressed multi-channel audio (ie. Dolby Digital or DTS) or uncompressed PCM stereo audio.
beachguysb likes this.

TV: Sony XBR-65X950G, AVR: Denon AVR-X3600H, Speakers: Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1, Blu-ray: Sony BDP-S6200 (Region Free), 4K Blu-ray: LG UBK80, Media Players: Nvidia Shield TV 2015, Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K & Apple TV HD 64GB
post #5979 of 6675 Old 05-27-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflackey View Post
... So trying to make that as good as I can (PQ on good quality feeds like Netflix or Prime is good.) Not sure what to fiddle with to optimize the PQ. ...
In order to clean up and improve sub-standard video signals you want to play with the settings on the Clarity tab in Advanced Picture Settings, in particular Reality Creation, Random noise reduction and Digital noise reduction. For a good review of what those and other settings on the TV do take a look at this article from Sony.
jefflackey and txjohns like this.

post #5980 of 6675 Old 05-27-2020, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmatheone View Post
I am curious, cant you record all the calibrated settings and re-configure them again?
Quote:
Yes, you can record them - written by hand or saved on an xls file etc.. There is, as far as I know, no method to save the calibration settings in a special file. You will have to reintroduce the calibration settings one by one, only after enabling with Calman software the multi point (20p) option, in ”Settings-Display and sound-Picture-Advanced Settings-Colour-Advance colour temperature”.
Thanks for chiming in. I can record them, but I don't know of a way to reopen/reactivate the pro settings through the Calman for Bravia app. I searched for the app on my phone's play store and it doesn't show up. Is it just accessible by the TV's play store?

LG OLED55C7P | Sony 75X950G | LG UP970 | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121
post #5981 of 6675 Old 05-27-2020, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
In your situation, you have to manually unpair the remote from the remote and then re-pair it. Once you re-pair the remote, it should immediately ask to update the software. Let it do it’s thing and you should be golden.
By unpairing, do you mean holding down the vol- button and the mic/google button? Because I tried this and saw the remote lights blinking, but got no response from the tv whatsoever. The lights kept blinking until for about 30 seconds and stopped.

post #5982 of 6675 Old 05-27-2020, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Its not the remote I have the pairing issue with. Its my Galaxy s10 plus.

He Loved Us Enough to Die For Us, Love Him Enough to Live For Him!
post #5983 of 6675 Old 05-27-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJHooK View Post
I searched for the app on my phone's play store and it doesn't show up. Is it just accessible by the TV's play store?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...brationmonitor

post #5984 of 6675 Old 05-27-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Thanks for chiming in. I can record them, but I don't know of a way to reopen/reactivate the pro settings through the Calman for Bravia app. I searched for the app on my phone's play store and it doesn't show up. Is it just accessible by the TV's play store?
You need to download and install the app for tv, from tvs play store and also the program, on an laptop, from here: http://portrait.com/downloads1/#calm...-for-sony-2019 (in never tested the program in evaluation mode to find out if i can use it only for enabling ”custom for Pro 1 and 2” mode in tv menu, without buying it).
Read more info, how to etc. : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...-2019-a-2.html and https://kb.portrait.com/help/calman-...ny-walkthrough.
post #5985 of 6675 Old 05-27-2020, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You need to download and install the app for tv, from tvs play store and also the program, on an laptop, from here: http://portrait.com/downloads1/#calm...-for-sony-2019 (in never tested the program in evaluation mode to find out if i can use it only for enabling ”custom for Pro 1 and 2” mode in tv menu, without buying it).
Read more info, how to etc. : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...-2019-a-2.html and https://kb.portrait.com/help/calman-...ny-walkthrough.
Thanks. I use a macbook, and I tried searching for this app in the app store, but it's not available. It's also not available to download on my smartphone.

post #5986 of 6675 Old 05-27-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I use a macbook, and I tried searching for this app in the app store, but it's not available. It's also not available to download on my smartphone.
”*Calman also supports Windows 7® or later in VMWare Fusion® and Bootcamp® for Mac OS X® users.”
post #5987 of 6675 Old 05-27-2020, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
”*Calman also supports Windows 7® or later in VMWare Fusion® and Bootcamp® for Mac OS X® users.”
Thanks again. I unfortunately have no clue how to do that.

At this rate, I can put up with no bluetooth on my tv to avoid losing out on my calibration settings that I paid for.

post #5988 of 6675 Old 05-27-2020, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Thanks again. I unfortunately have no clue how to do that.

At this rate, I can put up with no bluetooth on my tv to avoid losing out on my calibration settings that I paid for.

I would just call the calibrator and ask if he kept a record of what he did.

Sony KD-65XG9505 - STR-DN1080 - UBP-X800
post #5989 of 6675 Old 05-27-2020, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
OK. I have a question for you D-Nice. When you did this for your clients did you unpair the remote before your did the update? Then pair after? Because for me when I did the update there was no way to unpair the remote after the update was finished.

He Loved Us Enough to Die For Us, Love Him Enough to Live For Him!
post #5990 of 6675 Old 05-27-2020, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwtsn32 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis37 View Post
I know we are an outlier in that we actually wanted a Smart TV for it to be actually smart.
I struggled with the apps for far too long on my 850C model TV. The SoC in that TV was so slow the apps were horrible to use. Ended up switching to a Roku Ultra and didn't look back.

When I upgraded to the 950G TV we just kept using the Roku Ultra - I didn't even try the native apps. It's a shame that they still perform so poorly.
I don't know if it's quality control or what by I've been very happy with the internal apps on the 950G.
A very occasional reset is sometimes required (ie re-plug) but I've found that's the case with all computer-like devices that remain in stand-by mode indefinitely by default.
I figure it's pretty much the same as the occasional hard reboot of any PC.

I'm pretty fussy, so if there'd been any real inconvenience, I'd have resorted to a streaming device.
But the TV has consistently functioned well enough that the thought has never even crossed my mind.
It was one of the reasons I went for the 950G over the 900F as I wasn't prepared for a sluggish UI or dark/non-adjustable Dolby Vision.
It seemed a no-brainer, as it cost the same amount as the 900F.
After researching and comparing TVs for a year, I couldn't find a TV with better picture quality, upscaling and all round reliability for the same cost as the 950G.

I've never regretted the purchase for a moment (I'm considering the H update but am still weighing the benefits).

BTW This is in no way coming from a Sony fan boy....I'm retired and it's the first Sony TV I've ever owned 🤷‍♂️

PS
Perhaps, if I thought >$2000 was an acceptable amount to pay for a television, I'd have bought an OLED with a Best Buy burn-in warranty.
I can appreciate the picture quality but the $ and potential hassle just isn't worth it to me.

Last edited by Hellenback; 05-27-2020 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #5991 of 6675 Old 05-27-2020, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellenback View Post
I don't know if it's quality control or what by I've been very happy with the internal apps on the 950G.
A very occasional reset is sometimes required (ie re-plug) but I've found that's the case with all computer-like devices that remain in stand-by mode indefinitely by default.
I figure it's pretty much the same as the occasional hard reboot of any PC.

I'm pretty fussy, so if there'd been any real inconvenience, I'd have resorted to a streaming device.
But the TV has consistently functioned well enough that the thought has never even crossed my mind.
It was one of the reasons I went for the 950G over the 900F as I wasn't prepared for a sluggish UI or dark/non-adjustable Dolby Vision.
It seemed a no-brainer, as it cost the same amount as the 900F.
After researching and comparing TVS for a year, I couldn't find a better, all round TV for the price than the 950G.
I've never regretted the purchase for a moment (and I'm now considering the H update).
And this is certainly not coming from a fan boy....I'm retired and it's the first Sony TV I've ever owned 🤷‍♂️
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Thus far overall our Youtube TV and Youtube internal app experiences with the 950G have not been overly positive. The A8G and 900F never an issue. They just work.

The 950G internal app performance seems to have improved with the latest firmware for the G. I have been using the internal youtube TV app since the update and thus far have had only a few lock ups. With the previous versions a daily lockup was a guarantee. Netflix and Amazon Prime usually worked. Since we stream TV via youtube TV the lockups became annoying. Again, with the latest firmware the youtube TV internal app performance does seem better.
post #5992 of 6675 Old 05-27-2020, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis37 View Post
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Thus far overall our Youtube TV and Youtube internal app experiences with the 950G have not been overly positive. The A8G and 900F never an issue. They just work.

The 950G internal app performance seems to have improved with the latest firmware for the G.
That's good to hear.
With the number of TVs manufactured and the thousands of internal parts and connections, I'm not really surprised that some glitchy components slip through, or are not installed quite correctly.
I put my TV through the wringer when I first had it and tested every function I could think of....but there were still some functions like eArc I couldn't check out; so fingers crossed if needed with a future audio device.
The 90 return policy at Costco allowed for a more thorough and easy-going testing period, so I was happy it was available for purchase there.

Last edited by Hellenback; 05-27-2020 at 09:30 PM.
post #5993 of 6675 Old 05-27-2020, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Yeah, internal would be any app installed directly on the TV from any APK source and external would be from an outside source like, as you said, a Fire TV Stick, Roku or Shield TV. All external sources should work with ARC/eARC
So it sounds like nothing will work where the source is coming through the TV - only where the source is from for example my firestick - and then it passes the video up to the TV through the AV receiver.

Or do some people hook up a firestick to the TV itself and then eARC would work fine? (I have my firestick plugged into my Denon receiver.)

Maybe it's only working now because I have the X950H firmware, but Netflix and Prime through the TV OS are fine with audio now. It's only the streaming player I installed through Google Play that has problems. I guess I'll just keep using my firestick, but it's frustrating that Sony has never fixed this audio problem that only became a problem after one of the earlier X950G OS updates.

Jim

Last edited by beachguysb; 05-27-2020 at 11:30 PM.
post #5994 of 6675 Old 05-28-2020, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I’m surprised to hear people having issues with Android TV and/or the internal apps like Netflix, Youtube and such.

I came from a X8509C and upgraded to a X900F and recently upgraded to a X9505G! Havent had any lockups or freezes sinds the X900F.. Maybe European models are more stable? Or i’ve been lucky so far? Haha

Also never had audio issues. I have a 5.1 surround sound system hooked up via Optical.
post #5995 of 6675 Old 05-28-2020, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yeah me too, not a single glitch with in-built apps like Netflix and YouTube on my x950g which I'm using daily and that was on android 8 and now android 9...
post #5996 of 6675 Old 05-28-2020, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoger Mohammad View Post
I’m surprised to hear people having issues with Android TV and/or the internal apps like Netflix, Youtube and such.

I came from a X8509C and upgraded to a X900F and recently upgraded to a X9505G! Havent had any lockups or freezes sinds the X900F.. Maybe European models are more stable? Or i’ve been lucky so far? Haha

Also never had audio issues. I have a 5.1 surround sound system hooked up via Optical.
But sound problems appear when connecting a TV via HDMI with an eARC function with a soundbar. No problems may occur through the OPT connector
post #5997 of 6675 Old 05-28-2020, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 4
So the X95H firmware just got released in Asia Pacific. I've installed it on my X95G and did a factory reset and everything is working as expected. The only hiccup is there's no Disney+ app. I had it installed and working fine on the X95G firmware but now with the X95H firmware, when I go to the Google Play store, it says the Disney+ app isn't supported.

Anyone run into the same issue or got any ideas on how to fix it?
post #5998 of 6675 Old 05-28-2020, 04:10 AM

And for this reason I do not install the software from the USA on the European version. Because it may turn out that, for example, the myCanal + application for Europe will not work.
galonzo likes this.
post #5999 of 6675 Old 05-28-2020, 04:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoger Mohammad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PernusGre View Post
Yeah me too, not a single glitch with in-built apps like Netflix and YouTube on my x950g which I'm using daily and that was on android 8 and now android 9...
Quote:
But sound problems appear when connecting a TV via HDMI with an eARC function with a soundbar. No problems may occur through the OPT connector
No issues with internal apps here either. They work fine. Mine is connected to a Denon X4500. Optical audio you lose a lot. Lower bitrate, loss of advanced codecs, no ATMOS, no CEC control.
post #6000 of 6675 Old 05-28-2020, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
And for this reason I do not install the software from the USA on the European version. Because it may turn out that, for example, the myCanal + application for Europe will not work.
I went from Asia Pacific firmware to a Asia Pacific firmware, I didn't change the region.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolby atmos , sony 950g 85" , x95g

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page