2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 222 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2366Likes

post #6631 of 6674 Old 06-29-2020, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi All,

Just bought a 55xg9505. i was very disappointed because of the judder that it makes during gameplay in game mode with PS4 (not pro). it is unbearable.
Did you guys have same experience or am i missing something? I suspect that the lack of VRR causes it. i mean it would solve my issue, but there is no support of that. i was on phone with Sony today and promised that they will look after the possibility to add this feature as the hardware is capable (they confirmed on phone). I also feedback on their support site. I am very pissed because of it. I hope we will get this feature asap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6632 of 6674 Old 06-29-2020, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifteagle View Post
@88keyz
I was wondering if you could help me please, I have some questions. I have tried the D-Nice settings and the Image looks nice! What I don't understand is that there is only one Pro 1 and one Pro 2... He has Pro2 settings for SDR and HDR, can I make a copy of the Pro 2? Otherwise, how would you quickly change it depending on what you are watching?

Shouldn't local dimming be at high to produce deeper blacks? in his calibration is set to Medium.

Lastly, in "ADV Color Temperature Multi-Point (10p)" On my TV it shows as (20p) not (10p)... I still went ahead and edited those values, but why the difference?

Thank you very much for your help in advance.
D-Nice explained his use of the Custom for Pro 1 & 2 settings in the original thread. Here was his answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
Custom for Pro2 should be used for HDR, not Custom for Pro1. My reasoning is I’ve found it’s best to make the scale up of SDR to HDR settings as easy as possible for Sony’s conversion engine. So, the Custom for Pro2 settings are done with brightness maxed out. If you have everything running into one HDMI port of the 950H, you will have to manually switch to Custom for Pro2 when you have a HDR signal active on the 950H. I highly recommend people send SDR to one HDMI and HDR/DoVi to another HDMI to get the best possible image with the settings I’ve provided.
So basically he is saying you should try to use one HDMI input for SDR and one for HDR but I'm not sure that for many people that is always realistic. Since Sony has designed their TV's to remap for HDR automatically from the SDR settings I would say just use the Custom for Pro 1 SDR settings and allow the TV to do what it was designed to do if you can't use different HDMI inputs for SDR and HDR as D-Nice has recommended.

For the Auto Local Dimming feature the Medium setting is the most picture accurate and provides the highest average brightness. Yes the High setting would provide deeper blacks but it can also cause loss of near black details.

The "(10p)" reference in D-Nice's settings is just a typo I would guess since he has clearly provided 20-point adjustments. As unifexx said in his response you should not mix 10 and 20 point colour settings as you will get sub-standard results.
galonzo likes this.

TV: Sony XBR-65X950G, AVR: Denon AVR-X3600H, Speakers: Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1, Blu-ray: Sony BDP-S6200 (Region Free), 4K Blu-ray: LG UBK80, Media Players: Nvidia Shield TV 2015, Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K & Apple TV HD 64GB
post #6633 of 6674 Old 06-29-2020, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Thank you... Just updated to the H software and I already can see the blacks on the menu are much better. Going to try these settings and will report how they look and how the blooming looks to me with the H software.
Did you upgrade from 6.2550G Straight to the newest 4770 H ? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6634 of 6674 Old 06-29-2020, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7615 Post(s)
Liked: 7681
post #6635 of 6674 Old 06-29-2020, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ambient Light Sensor? Om or Off? whats your preference and why?
post #6636 of 6674 Old 06-29-2020, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubinho86 View Post
Hi All,

Just bought a 55xg9505. i was very disappointed because of the judder that it makes during gameplay in game mode with PS4 (not pro). it is unbearable.
Did you guys have same experience or am i missing something? I suspect that the lack of VRR causes it. i mean it would solve my issue, but there is no support of that. i was on phone with Sony today and promised that they will look after the possibility to add this feature as the hardware is capable (they confirmed on phone). I also feedback on their support site. I am very pissed because of it. I hope we will get this feature asap.
I think it's because the 120hz Panel in 30fps games. It looks crazy in my eyes
post #6637 of 6674 Old 06-29-2020, 09:24 AM

It's set "on" of course. My room gets bright during the day and very dim during the evening/night.
So the TV will regulate the brightness itself and would say from my experience very accurately.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
post #6638 of 6674 Old 06-29-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leventcur View Post
Ambient Light Sensor? Om or Off? whats your preference and why?
I prefer it off and most others recommend turning it off as well, I and most others don't like the TV dimming and brightening on its own as it can be distracting if it happens while you are watching. That said my TV is in a light controlled room so if that isn't the case for you it can save you having to constantly adjust your brightness settings for day and night.

TV: Sony XBR-65X950G, AVR: Denon AVR-X3600H, Speakers: Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1, Blu-ray: Sony BDP-S6200 (Region Free), 4K Blu-ray: LG UBK80, Media Players: Nvidia Shield TV 2015, Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K & Apple TV HD 64GB
post #6639 of 6674 Old 06-29-2020, 09:32 AM

Has there been any new developments regarding VRR on this TV?
I'm about to purchase the TV, but don't want to be disappointed by Sony's lack of support.
post #6640 of 6674 Old 06-29-2020, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrdeus View Post
Has there been any new developments regarding VRR on this TV?
I'm about to purchase the TV, but don't want to be disappointed by Sony's lack of support.
Just to be fair, this set has never been advertised as featuring VRR and it has never been promised to be implemented by an update, so I think it's unreasonable to equate the absence of this feature with "Sony's lack of support". The only Sony TV set where VRR was promised to be implemented (i.e., not there out of the box, but supposed to be activated by a future update) is the X900H (XH900).
galonzo and Damar1979 like this.

Sony KD-65XG9505 - STR-DN1080 - UBP-X800
post #6641 of 6674 Old 06-29-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifexx View Post
Just to be fair, this set has never been advertised as featuring VRR and it has never been promised to be implemented by an update, so I think it's unreasonable to equate the absence of this feature with "Sony's lack of support". The only Sony TV set where VRR was promised to be implemented (i.e., not there out of the box, but supposed to be activated by a future update) is the X900H (XH900).
Fair enough, but if the TV is capable of supporting it, it would be a shame to miss out on such a feature especially seeing that the PS5 will have support for it.
I understand that Sony has their reasons, whatever they may be, but I know that I would be disappointed if I actually owned the TV. Will have to weigh my options here.
post #6642 of 6674 Old 06-29-2020, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 48
So have many of you did the config for D-Nice settings?

Looks pretty extensive....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #6643 of 6674 Old 06-29-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlm86 View Post

What he said...does it make a noticeable difference??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6644 of 6674 Old 06-29-2020, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:

I have it on custom out of the box, I only changed the color temperature to warm in every source like hdmi, game or Netflix etc and it looks perfect to me so far ^^
post #6645 of 6674 Old 06-29-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciTech23 View Post
What he said...does it make a noticeable difference??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On my TV the difference from the factory default Custom preset with Expert 1 colour is ever so slight but it is an improvement. I'm using the 100-200 nits SDR calibration and in an A/B comparison with the factory Custom preset you can tell that Custom has an ever so slight blue push. This can be seen in the colour chart from the RTINGS review.

Toning down the blue push has helped to eliminate some of the blooming, both minor and major, but for me blooming was already a fairly minor issue.

If you don't want to go through the whole 20-point calibration then before you enable the Custom for Pro modes I suggest trying the RTINGS 10-point colour calibration settings.

SDR Settings (100 - 200 nits)

Picture Mode: Custom

Brightness Menu
Brightness: 3-11
Contrast: 90
Gamma: 0
Black Level: 50
Black Adjust: Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Auto Local Dimming: High
X-tended Dynamic Range: Off

Color Menu
Color: 50
Color Temp: Expert 1
Live Color: Off

Clarity Menu
Reality Creation: Off
Smooth Gradation: Off

Motion Menu
Motionflow: Custom
Smoothness: Min
Clearness: Min
CineMotion: Auto

ADV Color Temperature Menu

ADV Color Temperature Basic
R-Gain: -2
G-Gain: -2
B-Gain: Max
R-Bias: 0
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 0

ADV Color Temperature Multi Point (10p)
Point 1

Point 2

Point 3

Point 4

Point 5

Point 6

Point 7

Point 8

Point 9

Point 10

Per Color Adjustment:
Red:
Hue: 0
Saturation: 2
Lightness: 5

Magenta:
Hue: 10
Saturation: 5
Lightness: 3

Blue:
Hue: 2
Lightness: 0

Cyan:
Hue: 1
Saturation: 6
Lightness: 1

Green:
Hue: 7
Saturation: 7
Lightness: 2

Yellow:
Saturation: 0

post #6646 of 6674 Old 06-29-2020, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keyz View Post
On my TV the difference from the factory default Custom preset with Expert 1 colour is ever so slight but it is an improvement. I'm using the 100-200 nits SDR calibration and in an A/B comparison with the factory Custom preset you can tell that Custom has an ever so slight blue push. This can be seen in the colour chart from the RTINGS review.

Toning down the blue push has helped to eliminate some of the blooming, both minor and major, but for me blooming was already a fairly minor issue.

If you don't want to go through the whole 20-point calibration then before you enable the Custom for Pro modes I suggest trying the RTINGS 10-point colour calibration settings.

SDR Settings (100 - 200 nits)

Picture Mode: Custom

Brightness Menu
Brightness: 3-11
Contrast: 90
Gamma: 0
Black Level: 50
Black Adjust: Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Auto Local Dimming: High
X-tended Dynamic Range: Off

Color Menu
Color: 50
Color Temp: Expert 1
Live Color: Off

Clarity Menu
Reality Creation: Off
Smooth Gradation: Off

Motion Menu
Motionflow: Custom
Smoothness: Min
Clearness: Min
CineMotion: Auto

ADV Color Temperature Menu

ADV Color Temperature Basic
R-Gain: -2
G-Gain: -2
B-Gain: Max
R-Bias: 0
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 0

ADV Color Temperature Multi Point (10p)
Point 1

Point 2

Point 3

Point 4

Point 5

Point 6

Point 7

Point 8

Point 9

Point 10

Per Color Adjustment:
Red:
Hue: 0
Saturation: 2
Lightness: 5

Magenta:
Hue: 10
Lightness: 3

Blue:
Lightness: 0

Cyan:
Hue: 1
Saturation: 6

Green:
Hue: 7
Saturation: 7
Lightness: 2

Yellow:
Saturation: 0

Thank you
post #6647 of 6674 Old 06-29-2020, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerikano View Post
Did you upgrade from 6.2550G Straight to the newest 4770 H ? Thank you
No, I updated to the lastest G software and then to the latest H. It worked perfectly.
post #6648 of 6674 Old 06-29-2020, 09:28 PM

@88keyz ,

Thank you very much for answering my questions... I have gone ahead and done the HDR and the SDR adjustments. I am a noob at this, but I am very happy with the update and the settings, the image looks very nice. The blooming is indeed much better than with the G!

Some issues I have come across so far.

****EDIT: Yet to replicate sound loss, but no solution either*********
-Sound Loss:
The sound loss happened during settings adjustments on TV (antenna), I am not sure if adjusting the settings triggers a bug but that is how it happened to me. Restarted the TV and it worked again.

******EDIT: SOLVED***********
Solution: Nvidia Shield was going to sleep after 20 mins of inactivity and turning the TV off. There is a setting in the nvidia settings CEC that allows it to go to sleep without turning the TV off.
-TV turned off by itself.
After I restarted the TV, I went back to do some more image setting adjustments when I was in the last setting and finished it just turned off for no reason at all.

I do have a Denon 1600H receiver connected via eARC, I am not sure if the powering down is happening with something to do with eARC. Before updating to the H the TV turned off by itself whilst watching Netflix, which was on the firmware the TV came out of the box 2550 leading me to think it is not a H firmware issue but something else.

If anyone has a suggestion or fix for these issues could you please let me know.

Thank you!

Last edited by swifteagle; 06-29-2020 at 11:51 PM.
post #6649 of 6674 Old 06-29-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerikano View Post
I have X75G and I'm on the same firmware I was thinking about upgrading to H but decided to stick to my old Android 8 as it seems like that's the only firmware with no audio issues. I own this tv for 5 months now without single issue and I'm using build-in apps exclusively. Let me know if you upgrade and if you start having any sound problem as I'm so tempted to do so due to allegedly better blooming control algorithm.
I did upgrade and I have already had the sound turned off once... This happened on free to air tv whilst adjusting the settings for image, so I am not sure if that is a bug that gets triggered by that or if it will happen again just by watching it. The image does look great and I feel the blacks/blooming look very good/ better than with G...so no regrets here!

EDIT: I have been running the TV for a while now, no issues with sound. If that is the only issue I have to live with moving forward, I am happy to turn the tv off and on in exchange for the better image/blooming I am getting with the H. It is an excellent update!!!!!

Last edited by swifteagle; 06-29-2020 at 11:53 PM.
post #6650 of 6674 Old 07-01-2020, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyW75 View Post
No problem, happy to help everyone get the most out of this TV.
Hey, I tried installing the latest H firmware but kept on getting an error saying 'System software cannot be updated using this USB device'. Any idea how I can solve this or is it Sony trying to keep me from installing the H firmware?

My 950G is on the latest firmware (it's on auto-update) and I'm using a 32GB USB drive that does not have anything else on it.
post #6651 of 6674 Old 07-01-2020, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you... Just updated to the H software and I already can see the blacks on the menu are much better. Going to try these settings and will report how they look and how the blooming looks to me with the H software.
Trying to upgrade my firmware to the H but I'm having issues with my USB. What firmware version did you download?
post #6652 of 6674 Old 07-01-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klm9900 View Post
Trying to upgrade my firmware to the H but I'm having issues with my USB. What firmware version did you download?
I downloaded the latest H version from the Sony website. Version 4770, make sure to unzip it... Inside the original zip there is another zip that you will drag into a USB. Maybe format the USB to FAT 32.
post #6653 of 6674 Old 07-01-2020, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I'm happy to report that I utilized D-Nice's settings on my x950g (with H firmware), and the difference in the colors is all positive. I put the SDR (100 - 200 nits) settings on Pro 1 and the HDR settings on Pro 2. What I'm finding is that I like the toned down blues. Depending on the coloration of the content I'm watching, I switch from preset to preset. This annoys everyone in my house, so I'm not recommending it. Nonetheless...

Cartoons & anime - Standard. The colors are fake already, so might as well make 'em pop. I mean, not *vivid* pop, since I'm not insane.
Gaming consoles - Game, but just for the improved lag
Over-the-air and SDR - Pro 1 or Pro 2, depending on how the colors are intended to look. If the colors are supposed to be muted (like a medieval flick), then I'll use Pro 2 because, among other things, the gamma is set to 0.
HDR - Pro 2

Last edited by txjohns; 07-01-2020 at 04:43 PM.
post #6654 of 6674 Old 07-02-2020, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by klm9900 View Post
The official firmware file that you should download from the Sony Support website is called

sony_atvotafull_2018_1604770100_eua_auth.zip

(if you are in North America, then the file will have _naa_ instead of _eua_ in the filename; make sure you are using the appropriate file for your region, they are not all the same).

Inside that zip there is another zip file named

sony_dtv0FA70A0BA0AB_00004100_16047701000615.zip

(the numbers may differ for the North American region).

Put the latter file on the USB stick (do not unzip!), make sure it is not in any folder (i.e., put it in the root folder of the USB) and make sure there is nothing else on the USB. My USBs are formatted to NTSC.

The TV will detect the update and start working on it as soon as you plug the USB stick in any USB port on the TV. Good luck!

Sony KD-65XG9505 - STR-DN1080 - UBP-X800

Last edited by unifexx; 07-02-2020 at 12:56 AM.
post #6655 of 6674 Old 07-02-2020, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I’m struggling with my A9G Dolby Digital Plus audio. I believe many 950G owners are facing the same problem. Maybe it’s due to their shared MediaTek MT5893 SoC?

The problem is that audio skips or intermittently cuts out whenever audio output is in DD+ mode. Audio is being sent from broadcast television or an app on the TV to a soundbar (DD+ format compatible) over ARC. Sometimes it skips a little where a word here or there is missed. Sometimes a lot when half an explosion is missed.

I’ve tried;
- Certified Monoprice cables
- eARC off/auto
- Digital audio out Auto 1/Auto 2 (Haven’t experimented with PCM mode)
- Disabling RS232 control
- Alternate media player apps (Sony Media Player, Netflix, MX Player, VLC)
- Factory reset

The only thing that sounds like it works is setting the sound output to Dolby Digital.
I probably would never notice the difference, but it would be great to understand why this is happening.
post #6656 of 6674 Old 07-02-2020, 03:12 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
But then you don't have Dolby Atmos sound on Netflix
post #6657 of 6674 Old 07-02-2020, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrosyn View Post
I’️m struggling with my A9G Dolby Digital Plus audio. I believe many 950G owners are facing the same problem. Maybe it’️s due to their shared MediaTek MT5893 SoC?

The problem is that audio skips or intermittently cuts out whenever audio output is in DD+ mode. Audio is being sent from broadcast television or an app on the TV to a soundbar (DD+ format compatible) over ARC. Sometimes it skips a little where a word here or there is missed. Sometimes a lot when half an explosion is missed.

I’️ve tried;
- Certified Monoprice cables
- eARC off/auto
- Digital audio out Auto 1/Auto 2 (Haven’️t experimented with PCM mode)
- Disabling RS232 control
- Alternate media player apps (Sony Media Player, Netflix, MX Player, VLC)
- Factory reset

The only thing that sounds like it works is setting the sound output to Dolby Digital.
I probably would never notice the difference, but it would be great to understand why this is happening.
I have X950G 75" and nakamichi with Atmos soundbar connected via ARC. I'm watching Netflix pretty much everyday and never had a single sound related issue. The only downside is that the TV can only pass lossy Dolby Atmos DD+ but I don't care that much as I can't hear the difference anyway 🙂.
post #6658 of 6674 Old 07-02-2020, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoko1966 View Post
But then you don't have Dolby Atmos sound on Netflix
Sorry, except Atmos. But it should downmix to 7.1 if it was an Atmos source, right?
post #6659 of 6674 Old 07-02-2020, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hi Everyone. Just got my x950g and really liking it so far.
One big concern, i can't get ARC to work. I have a sony ZA1100ES receiver, so i figured it would be super simple but unfortunately it's not.
When i use the receiver remote, i see the volume controls increase and decrease on the tv. When i use the tv remote, the volume does not change.
Anyone figured this out so far for sony receivers?
Thanks so much
post #6660 of 6674 Old 07-02-2020, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Vrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrdeus View Post
I understand that Sony has their reasons, whatever they may be
Yep, like adding VRR to a shiny new 950I In 2021 (or whatever they call it) that will seamlessly mate to your shiny new PS5. Maybe a package deal Will be offered. But maybe the 950I firmware will give the G owners VRR. We can hope.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolby atmos , sony 950g 85" , x95g

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page