2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1083Likes

post #721 of 2769 Old 03-03-2019, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4x View Post
Just played the scene (chapter 8) on the 950g "The Geatest Showman" that really annoyed me on the 900f.... there is a bunch of lanterns and lights that can cause extreme amount of bloom in the letter bars....

There was almost ZERO light bloom into the bars on the 950g. The 900f bugged the crap out of me on this chapter... so much so, it was the reason I bought the 950g immediately and was contemplating switching to the LGC8.

The 950g is head and shoulders above the 900f.
- The black levels are darker
- Light bloom is definitely less
- Side view is not soo bad... a tad better than the 900f.. but not much. If 900f degraded at 35* this one similar.. maybe 45*?
- Motion is what is expected... extremely smooth.

Put in CaptinCrunch settings from the 900f... look very good.. but needs some tweaks. Some of the settings are different.

Im enjoying the hell out of this tv! Never said that with the 900f.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
How do you find the black levels in a dark room?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2769 Old 03-03-2019, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
Why type of picture settings are you running? Was "Greatest Showman" in SDR or HDR?
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmish View Post
How do you find the black levels in a dark room?
- Greatest showman was seen on 4k blu ray. Exact same as both tvs.

- Both tvs 900f and 950g were set to the latest Captincrunch 900f 2 point settings. Brightness I keep at 20 as I do like a bright screen. Gamma -1, local dimming-low, x -off, live -off, The 950's settings are a tad different for clarity and motion. There are a few settings that dont allow for the same amount of adjustment.

- Blacks are very black... even darker with captins full settings....Love it!

Tv comes with oreo... very snappy and adjustable as to what menus/shortcuts are in the "tv" button

irishluck73, srkmish and Panson like this.

Last edited by toy4x; 03-03-2019 at 05:33 PM.
post #723 of 2769 Old 03-03-2019, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 4535 Post(s)
Liked: 5533
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
Well...Sony themselves say about double the real time processing power moving from the Extreme to the Ultimate. Whether or not it’s needed for the 950G is debatable I guess. I’m more concerned about picture quality than snappy navigation in the OS. Frankly, future update support has never been a priority for any of these tv manufacturers. When the new models come out it’s pretty much game over on the support front. For obvious reasons, they would rather you upgrade to the new model. It’s a strategy.

Just far too many unknowns about the larger 950G models in terms of performance. Still, I have a lot to think about this week.
Not necessarily true. The 2017 sets most got the Oreo update, Calman Autocal and for the OLEDS such as the A1E, they relaxed the ABL picture processing.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 2769 Old 03-03-2019, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam355 View Post
I would get the 950G instead due to the change in processor architecture. See my other comment below. I am waiting on a response from an owner but pretty sure the MediaTek in this Sony is the brand new one from the Master Series Bravias.

Can you share a pic of the remote?

Also, can an owner download this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.aida64&hl=en and get the CPU(cores)/GPU/RAM specs?

Thanks!
The remote top is aluminum and the connection to the tv is via bluetooth. Meaning, you don't have to point it at the tv.

Thanks a ton for the pics! That remote sounds sooooooo much better than the one I have on my X800D.

Any chance you could download AIDA64 from the PlayStore and grab the specs under system, CPU and display?
post #725 of 2769 Old 03-03-2019, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Not necessarily true. The 2017 sets most got the Oreo update, Calman Autocal and for the OLEDS such as the A1E, they relaxed the ABL picture processing.
True, but they could offer so much more if they wanted to. For instance, I have no doubt that the 900F could easily be updated with eARC support if Sony chose to do so.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #726 of 2769 Old 03-03-2019, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow...that new remote is huge! Why Sony?!

This is one area where Sony should look to their competitors for inspiration. LG C8 remote is awesome, as was my former Q9FN remote. Both of those remotes are less than half the size of that 950G remote. Lol

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #727 of 2769 Old 03-03-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Wow...that new remote is huge! Why Sony?!

This is one area where Sony should look to their competitors for inspiration. LG C8 remote is awesome, as was my former Q9FN remote. Both of those remotes are less than half the size of that 950G remote. Lol
I don't see anything wrong with this remote. The smaller they are the easier they are to lose in the couch.
Cuthalu likes this.
post #728 of 2769 Old 03-03-2019, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post
Quote:
After setting this up... the 950g is beautiful!

The new remote is bad ass! 20x better than the old one. Feel is pristine, skinny but not too skinny... AND.... It can actually control my charter box and my Denon X3400(900f did too but not the charter box) For the first time in a long time.... I only have 1 controller now.... *tear*

I am concerned about BI... which is why I am sticking with the 950g... staying away from oled still. Well until the little ones are older and the tech is older.

I have EARC in my denon x3400. Setting the EARC to auto on the tv, it says my device is not compatible and was having audio issues. Turned the earc off... no more issues.

Going to have to check the denon thread now.

In the viewing condition that you assume, you WILL get burn in with any OLED. No question about that. I have a theory the OLED's have a sort of "cliff" when it comes to burn in. Initially they seem resilient and not too prone to burn in. Then, after accumulating a certain amount of hours, suddenly they are magnets for burn-in. This is based on the fact that I witnessed not only mine but another's OLED develop sudden burn-in after many hours of trouble free use. It just seems weird that as a former and current plasma owner who knows how to avoid burn-in, I managed to completely trash my screen in a very short amount of time, after a long period of no burn-in.
That’s the comparison I’ve been after, plasma vs OLED for burn in. Which model did you suffer burn in with? The story I was given in the OLED sub forum was that they fixed burn in in 2017 models.
post #729 of 2769 Old 03-03-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Just played the scene (chapter 8) on the 950g "The Geatest Showman" that really annoyed me on the 900f.... there is a bunch of lanterns and lights that can cause extreme amount of bloom in the letter bars....

There was almost ZERO light bloom into the bars on the 950g. The 900f bugged the crap out of me on this chapter... so much so, it was the reason I bought the 950g immediately and was contemplating switching to the LGC8.

The 950g is head and shoulders above the 900f.
- The black levels are darker
- Light bloom is definitely less
- Side view is not soo bad... a tad better than the 900f.. but not much. If 900f degraded at 35* this one similar.. maybe 45*?
- Motion is what is expected... extremely smooth.

Put in CaptinCrunch settings from the 900f... look very good.. but needs some tweaks. Some of the settings are different.

Im enjoying the hell out of this tv! Never said that with the 900f.

I find the 900f to be terrible off angle so that means this is a tad better than terrible. RTINGS says color degrades at 19 degrees. That’s a bit of a downer but should have been expected since this doesn’t have x-wide.
post #730 of 2769 Old 03-03-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks a ton for the pics! That remote sounds sooooooo much better than the one I have on my X800D.

Any chance you could download AIDA64 from the PlayStore and grab the specs under system, CPU and display?
@adam355

No idea what any of this stuff means. Care to explain?

Cuthalu and mithras1 like this.

Last edited by toy4x; 03-03-2019 at 07:23 PM.
post #731 of 2769 Old 03-03-2019, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
- Greatest showman was seen on 4k blu ray. Exact same as both tvs.

- Both tvs 900f and 950g were set to the latest Captincrunch 900f 2 point settings. Brightness I keep at 20 as I do like a bright screen. Gamma -1, local dimming-low, x -off, live -off, The 950's settings are a tad different for clarity and motion. There are a few settings that dont allow for the same amount of adjustment.

- Blacks are very black... even darker with captins full settings....Love it!

Tv comes with oreo... very snappy and adjustable as to what menus/shortcuts are in the "tv" button

I like what I'm reading!

Now just need a 75" to prove this x wide angle without destroying contrast and I'm sold... I think.
post #732 of 2769 Old 03-03-2019, 07:29 PM

Adjustable shortcut menu:

Cuthalu likes this.
post #733 of 2769 Old 03-03-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:

@adam355

No idea what any of this stuff means. Care to explain?

Thanks for the pics. You have confirmed me previous assumption.

You have the new Mediatek chipset that started with the master series last fall.

Basically, the CPU/GPU/etc are extremely good compared to what past Sony owners have been dealing with which was pretty sluggish. Framedrops on some built in apps and lag were a common occurrence on old Sony's. For you UI performance, streaming, etc should be really good.

You are also buying this chip at the start of it's generation so your TV should see much longer software support from Sony vs a TV like the 900f which has last generations chip.

Sony only refreshes the MediaTek chip roughly once every two - three years.
IGotB&, big samm, srkmish and 1 others like this.

Last edited by adam355; 03-03-2019 at 07:40 PM.
post #734 of 2769 Old 03-03-2019, 08:01 PM

Sorry ... not a pro calibrator by any means... hopefully someone can get some settings up to try... still running captincrunch settings from a 900f.

No bloom in black bars(1st pic)
Set auto local dim - Med
Xtended dynamic range - off

Tried auto lo dim to high and extended to high= def blooming at the chandelier in this scene.

Back to med/off - no blooming in bars.

Better view of the fire, (my camera phone not picking it up very well) but no bloom in black bars:

Last edited by toy4x; 03-03-2019 at 08:26 PM.
post #735 of 2769 Old 03-03-2019, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Sorry ... not a pro calibrator by any means... hopefully someone can get some settings up to try... still running captincrunch settings from a 900f.

No bloom in black bars(1st pic)
Set auto local dim - Med
Xtended dynamic range - off

Tried auto lo dim to high and extended to high= def blooming at the chandelier in this scene.

Back to med/off - no blooming in bars.

Better view of the fire, (my camera phone not picking it up very well) but no bloom in black bars:

Are you have a vídeo?
post #736 of 2769 Old 03-03-2019, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvhunter View Post
That’s the comparison I’ve been after, plasma vs OLED for burn in. Which model did you suffer burn in with? The story I was given in the OLED sub forum was that they fixed burn in in 2017 models.
I was told the same thing, not just by forum members but also trusted calibrators. For a while that seemed like the case, but then suddenly the burn-in came with a vengeance. Somehow my 2013 Pansonic plasmas still have no burn-in and ive gotten lazy with worrying about leaving static images on with those. It was the 2017 LG C7. One was a 55" and the other a 65". Both exhibited this same behavior.
post #737 of 2769 Old 03-03-2019, 09:18 PM

Watching and watching... I definitely am seeing the blooming into the bars. Now I can see it. It is there... just a little less noticeable than the 900f.

This scene is blinding... not sure what the nit # is... but it will close your eyes...lol. In the next scene... she is standing there in her ivory dress and you will see blooming on the bottom bar where she stands.

Still Beautiful!

post #738 of 2769 Old 03-03-2019, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Comparing your pics to my 900F, it looks pretty much the same. I was initially impressed by your first pic, until I saw what settings you were using.

I will try that chandelier scene on my 900F tomorrow with the same settings on the local dimming and x-tended dynamic range and see what it looks like.

I know people want to be excited about this new set, but you have to be realistic as well. There is no magic to be had here with basically the same amount of dimming zones available, it’s just a limitation of the FALD tech. The only ways to improve is with an over aggressive dimming control(ala Samsung), or throw in a ton more dimming zones.
srkmish and Iluv4k like this.

post #739 of 2769 Old 03-03-2019, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Comparing your pics to my 900F, it looks pretty much the same. I was initially impressed by your first pic, until I saw what settings you were using.

I will try that chandelier scene on my 900F tomorrow with the same settings on the local dimming and x-tended dynamic range and see what it looks like.

I know people want to be excited about this new set, but you have to be realistic as well. There is no magic to be had here with basically the same amount of dimming zones available, it’s just a limitation of the FALD tech. The only ways to improve is with an over aggressive dimming control(ala Samsung), or throw in a ton more dimming zones.
Agree. Someone said the x950g 65inch has 60 zones from the German review. I wonder if the 55 inch is the same amount of zones or less. You would think in 2019 they would put at least 100+ zones in new tv's.
post #740 of 2769 Old 03-04-2019, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Watching and watching... I definitely am seeing the blooming into the bars. Now I can see it. It is there... just a little less noticeable than the 900f.

This scene is blinding... not sure what the nit # is... but it will close your eyes...lol. In the next scene... she is standing there in her ivory dress and you will see blooming on the bottom bar where she stands.

Still Beautiful!

When I hear talk about blooming I often wonder what kind of variables are being looked at as part of the discussion. If you don’t mind I’ll start here:

Are you sitting dead center of the TV when you see the blooming? ( maybe I’m wrong but I strongly assumed sitting off center of a VA panel would always result in blooming in a darkened enviroment.)

What are your brightness/backlight settings?
post #741 of 2769 Old 03-04-2019, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I have an impression that some of you are confusing image processor (Extreme/Ultimate) with system processor (Mediatek SOC). Both of them have been updated on x95g which is a good thing especially for Android operation (Mediatek chip). Sony should have done it long ago and should be ashamed selling expensive 2018 models with slow operating system!!!! Finally they've improved it but at very high cost.

Whereas new Mediatek SOC is a big step up for Android operation I don't expect that new image processor (Ultimate) will bring noticeable improvement in the picture quality. The same chip (Ultimate) is on ZF9 and scaling and motions are very similar to Extreme chip in all reviews.

I've also noticed that some of you made a comment about 'better black levels' on x95g comparing to x900f. Such comments don't make any sense unless comparison is made in very specific conditions. Both are FALD TVs and it looks that both have the same or similar number of zones. It means they will offer similar black levels if they are set to the same brightness. In general SDR content looks good in terms of black levels since the panel brightness is much lower then in HDR mode. The real challenge is to achieve good blacks when panel brightness is set to max and I'm pretty sure that performance of x95g will be very similar or even worse (if brightness is higher) than x900f
BRAC and Dimon.Zorg like this.

Last edited by Tomek398; 03-04-2019 at 04:32 AM.
post #742 of 2769 Old 03-04-2019, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluv4k View Post
Agree. Someone said the x950g 65inch has 60 zones from the German review. I wonder if the 55 inch is the same amount of zones or less. You would think in 2019 they would put at least 100+ zones in new tv's.
The German (computer magazine) one counted 66 on the 65" model BUT two more reliable reviews counted 60 for the 75". This set simply doesn't deserve to be called a 950, it is simply a 900G.

There is a new review by Flatpanels that has black level at 0.25 in HDR mode on an ANSI grid (review in English should be coming in the next few days) but 0.05 for SDR.
Peak brightness ~1000, input lag 22ms ...

edit: see below (couple of days turned out to be a couple of hours ) The X900F the reviewed was a 65" though
Quote:
The number of dimming zones is not very high, and we counted 5 horizontally and 12 vertically, which is identical to X900F.
Cuthalu likes this.

Last edited by mithras1; 03-04-2019 at 04:43 AM.
post #743 of 2769 Old 03-04-2019, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
First review of X950G. Screen size is 75"

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....&id=1551684183
BRAC, irishluck73 and Tomek398 like this.
post #744 of 2769 Old 03-04-2019, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by baryburton View Post

The contrast ratio is alarming. The video of the local dimming working is also alarming. They also specifically mention issues with blooming. Overall not good at all.

They also state: "In our opinion X900F delivers better picture quality for your money."
Cuthalu likes this.

Last edited by *UFO*; 03-04-2019 at 04:56 AM.
post #745 of 2769 Old 03-04-2019, 04:54 AM

Quote:

Exactly as expected!

From the perspective of European buyers the last bit is especially valid: "...but from a picture quality standpoint it is hard to justify the price premium. In our opinion X900F delivers better picture quality for your money.

Last edited by Tomek398; 03-04-2019 at 05:18 AM.
post #746 of 2769 Old 03-04-2019, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
The contrast ratio is alarming. The video of the local dimming working is also alarming. They also specifically mention issues with blooming. Overall not good at all.
But it's what you would expect being it's the 900F successor with X-Wide Angle added.
Tomek398 likes this.
post #747 of 2769 Old 03-04-2019, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I was told the same thing, not just by forum members but also trusted calibrators. For a while that seemed like the case, but then suddenly the burn-in came with a vengeance. Somehow my 2013 Pansonic plasmas still have no burn-in and ive gotten lazy with worrying about leaving static images on with those. It was the 2017 LG C7. One was a 55" and the other a 65". Both exhibited this same behavior.
Thanks, I’m coming from a 2008 plasma and have zero burn in and had assumed OLED would be the same. So OLED has burn in and LCD has crappy off angle viewing, both showstopper issues for me. What’s a plasma owner to do?! Might just have to settle for a cheap IPS panel after all.
post #748 of 2769 Old 03-04-2019, 05:19 AM

Quote:
. What’s a plasma owner to do?! Might just have to settle for a cheap IPS panel after all.
Wait for reviews of new Samsung sets with Wide Angle technology.
post #749 of 2769 Old 03-04-2019, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Seems very meh. Still very happy with my 940e and think it is probably better in most every aspect. Seems they are really hitting a wall with what they can do with LCD. Also seems this an upgrade to 900f level set and not a high end (930e/940e) or master class level.
TrendSetterX likes this.
post #750 of 2769 Old 03-04-2019, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Thanks, I’m coming from a 2008 plasma and have zero burn in and had assumed OLED would be the same. So OLED has burn in and LCD has crappy off angle viewing, both showstopper issues for me. What’s a plasma owner to do?! Might just have to settle for a cheap IPS panel after all.
If you don't have burn-in on your plasma, you wont have it in an OLED either. You obviously don't abuse it with static images or at least watch enough variety for it not to be an issue. I came from a 2007 plasma as well. My 940e blows it away in pretty much everything including black levels. The local dimming essentially turns off the screen so it goes black. Also, HDR is a true upgrade that your old set can't even get close to replicating. I wouldn't get this set however. I had a 900f and the viewing angles were so bad that even when you sat dead on, the sides of the display would wash out from the angle. I would only suggest trying to find a z9d, z9f, or 940e in that order. Otherwise go OLED which would probably be the best bet for you. Just try to find the brightest one for maximum HDR which wont be able to match LCD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page