2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 29 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1000Likes

post #841 of 2580 Old 03-06-2019, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyrabbit21 View Post
While Rtings are the best of the best when it comes to reviews, i've noticed that when it comes to upscaling, they rank Samsung, LG and Sony all the same, regardless of model.

The vast majority of people however, find that Sony has superior upscaling to that of LG and Samsung, especially for low quality content.

So I can't just trust Rtings on this one, I wish they would be more critical and go into more detail with their upscaling testing but as it is, I simply don't believe that the X900F and the LG UK6300 for example, have the same 720p upscaling quality (both have a score of 8.0 on Rtings).
It's Sony's Smooth Graduation setting that also helps with lower resolution content and actually works to improve PQ.
Cuthalu likes this.

Who's the daddy now???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 2580 Old 03-06-2019, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
This is the question I’m waiting to have answered.

Does the X1 Ultimate provide better PQ than the X1 Extreme? I’m particularly interested in it’s upscaling ability for cable TV content.

The “object based super resolution” is what catches my eye here for the X1 Ultimate.

If the PQ is better with the Ultimate, then the internal technology alone makes the 950G a much more appealing buy, as the faster SOC alone is not enough.
The X1 extreme in the reviews was already considered the best image processor on the market (you can search in more than 20 reviews that will all speak the same thing).

In all the reviews I've read so far (both in 65 'or 75' versions) were unanimous in saying that the new image processor was even better than the extreme X1 with the following advantages:

1 - better depth of field
2 - best upscaling
3 - a good improvement in X-Motion technology (it is worth since the previous model was almost a test model.) In addition to the new processor that makes the transitions better, we have better movement and sharpness of it)
post #843 of 2580 Old 03-06-2019, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomek398 View Post
Just look at the upscaling of ZF9 which is equipped with Ultimate. Reviewers at rtings haven't noticed any differences between ZF9 (Ultimate) and X900F (Extreme) in upscaling performance

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...&threshold=0.1

I've seen also other reviews of ZF9 and AF9 (both ultimate) and nothing 'spectacular' about upscaling has been reported. Of course I'm also waiting for review of x95g at rtings to confirm it.
While Rtings are the best of the best when it comes to reviews, i've noticed that when it comes to upscaling, they rank Samsung, LG and Sony all the same, regardless of model.

The vast majority of people however, find that Sony has superior upscaling to that of LG and Samsung, especially for low quality content.

So I can't just trust Rtings on this one, I wish they would be more critical and go into more detail with their upscaling testing but as it is, I simply don't believe that the X900F and the LG UK6300 for example, have the same 720p upscaling quality (both have a score of 8.0 on Rtings).
Agreed, the upscaling section of Rtings reviews is useless as everyone gets the same score. And that’s a shame because that’s the material that the vast majority of viewers watch.

For upscaling and motion everyone is still playing catch up with Sony.
Cuthalu and srkmish like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #844 of 2580 Old 03-06-2019, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Improvements in XG95 do not justify the price difference versus XF900.

65" XG95 and 65" ZF9 are currently at a very near cost in Europe, I personally prefer ZF9.

Currently I can buy 75" XF90 on lower price from 65" XG95 ...
srkmish and Tomek398 like this.
post #845 of 2580 Old 03-06-2019, 05:32 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 347 Post(s)
Quoted: 1552 Post(s)
Liked: 1202
Something about this new X950G is turning on my Denon receiver in the middle of the night. It's happened both nights where I turn off both the TV & receiver and sometime later the Denon gets powered back on but not the TV.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #846 of 2580 Old 03-06-2019, 06:11 AM
Administrator
Administrator

I tried turning off all of these since I use a URC remote anyway. Hopefully that fixes it?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	562
Size:	482.5 KB
ID:	2535042  

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
post #847 of 2580 Old 03-06-2019, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dener Melo View Post
The X1 extreme in the reviews was already considered the best image processor on the market (you can search in more than 20 reviews that will all speak the same thing).
That is correct

Quote:
1 - better depth of field
I must say that I've never heard about it in the context of Sony TV image processing. What does it do with original depth of field? Increases, decreases or something else? Can you post some link to the explanation as I'm interested in that topic

Quote:
2 - best upscaling
This is very vague term. It is impossible to judge differences in up-scaling without direct and detailed comparison between different TVs. Even then it is so difficult to make proper assessment of up-scaling performance as there are many parameters which are affecting up-scaling. Whole section "Clarity" in the TV settings. Depending on those settings up-scaling can look very good or very bad on the same TV. Again some link would be useful here.

Quote:
3 - a good improvement in X-Motion technology (it is worth since the previous model was almost a test model.) In addition to the new processor that makes the transitions better, we have better movement and sharpness of it)
I've never heard about any problems/issues with X-Motion technology on Extreme chip (X900F). It works very well. It is basically advanced black frame insertion and you need it in specific conditions when motion blur is important to you for instance for sport or when gaming. I don't use it at all as I mainly watch movies and motion blur doesn't bother me at all. You should remember that when X-Motion technology is activated flicker frequency drops from standard 720Hz to 120Hz (according to rtings) and that could be distracting to some people.

Quote:
Improvements in XG95 do not justify the price difference versus XF900.

65" XG95 and 65" ZF9 are currently at a very near cost in Europe, I personally prefer ZF9.

Currently I can buy 75" XF90 on lower price from 65" XG95 ...
Totally agree. Prices in Europe are crazy. Just an example from UK:

55 X95G £1,899 -> ~ 2,500 USD
65 X95G £2,499 -> ~ 3,290 USD
75 X95G £3,999 -> ~ 5,263 USD

I live in Europe and don't even consider X95G now at that price level. Spec is just fine but new model doesn't really bring any innovations to justify those prices.

Last edited by Tomek398; 03-06-2019 at 07:29 AM.
post #848 of 2580 Old 03-06-2019, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post
Something about this new X950G is turning on my Denon receiver in the middle of the night. It's happened both nights where I turn off both the TV & receiver and sometime later the Denon gets powered back on but not the TV.

Remember someone in the Z9D thread mentioned having the same issue recently. If I remember correctly, he had a Denon receiver as well. Think was after the Oreo update. You may check over there.

EDIT: This is later in the discussion but is there: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57698856

Last edited by Coercion Shaman; 03-06-2019 at 08:40 AM.
post #849 of 2580 Old 03-06-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6668 Post(s)
Liked: 6663
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
If the 950G is the successor to the 900F, why is Sony keeping the 900F around? Doesn’t make any sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
I see it as the successor to the 900F, I’m just surprised that Sony doesn’t.

They are doing some boneheaded things over at Sony lately. Lol
They will be clearanced shortly........I would assume they are no longer being produced.
post #850 of 2580 Old 03-06-2019, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomek398 View Post
That is correct

I must say that I've never heard about it in the context of Sony TV image processing. What does it do with original depth of field? Increases, decreases or something else? Can you post some link to the explanation as I'm interested in that topic

This is very vague term. It is impossible to judge differences in up-scaling without direct and detailed comparison between different TVs. Even then it is so difficult to make proper assessment of up-scaling performance as there are many parameters which are affecting up-scaling. Whole section "Clarity" in the TV settings. Depending on those settings up-scaling can look very good or very bad on the same TV. Again some link would be useful here.

I've never heard about any problems/issues with X-Motion technology on Extreme chip (X900F). It works very well. It is basically advanced black frame insertion and you need it in specific conditions when motion blur is important to you for instance for sport or when gaming. I don't use it at all as I mainly watch movies and motion blur doesn't bother me at all. You should remember that when X-Motion technology is activated flicker frequency drops from standard 720Hz to 120Hz (according to rtings) and that could be distracting to some people.

Totally agree. Prices in Europe are crazy. Just an example from UK:

55 X95G £1,899 -> ~ 2,500 USD
65 X95G £2,499 -> ~ 3,290 USD
75 X95G £3,999 -> ~ 5,263 USD

I live in Europe and don't even consider X95G now at that price level. Spec is just fine but new model doesn't really bring any innovations to justify those prices.

Some of the reviews tell you more about this. I'm trying to find another French but I still have not found it. As soon as I find it updates. I remember talking a little better about that depth of field saying that this should be provalvemnte to the fact that X1 Ultimate use Object Basead Superesolution

https://www.evolife.cn/av/216708.html
http://tv.zol.com.cn/708/7081469.html

As for X-Motion, the reviews said that the Ultimate chip better handle the technology using the dimming site with a smoother transition.
post #851 of 2580 Old 03-06-2019, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
I tried turning off all of these since I use a URC remote anyway. Hopefully that fixes it?
If not, go to the HDMI Setup of your Denon and disable things like "HDMI Control", "TV Audio Switching", "Pow.Off Control", ...
post #852 of 2580 Old 03-06-2019, 08:42 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferro View Post
If not, go to the HDMI Setup of your Denon and disable things like "HDMI Control", "TV Audio Switching", "Pow.Off Control", ...
Yeah I'll see what happens tonight after turning off all the Bravia sync settings before messing with the Denon. What exactly is the Sony doing in the middle of the night while powered off that's triggering the receiver?

post #853 of 2580 Old 03-06-2019, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Yeah I'll see what happens tonight after turning off all the Bravia sync settings before messing with the Denon. What exactly is the Sony doing in the middle of the night while powered off that's triggering the receiver?

Since the television doesn't completely shut down, it has been surmised that the television is checking for updates or one of the Android pieces is sending/checking for something (or some other phone home process) and that does enough with the TV to turn connected devices on. Again in the Z9D thread, someone monitored traffic through their router and it coincided with the timing of the power on. You would have to go back through to find it.
post #854 of 2580 Old 03-06-2019, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 297
I'm not familiar with how Sony handles this but could the TV be turning on for overnight updates or patches from Sony?
post #855 of 2580 Old 03-06-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by js950 View Post
I'm not familiar with how Sony handles this but could the TV be turning on for overnight updates or patches from Sony?

There were quite a few embedded apps that updated in the past few days maybe that has caused some gremlins maybe turning off auto app update.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #856 of 2580 Old 03-06-2019, 09:59 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Well turning off Bravia sync control killed ARC. After turning it off, bringing up something like the Netflix app no longer switched the receiver to the TV audio ARC input so I had audio from Directv coming out of the receiver and Netflix audio coming out of the TV at the same time.

post #857 of 2580 Old 03-06-2019, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Seeking X-Wide Clarification

I'm considering the X950G 75", but have concerns over the X-Wide technology after reading through this thread and the few reviews out there so far. Does X-Wide negatively affect the picture quality when viewing straight on, or just from the viewing positions that are off center?
srkmish likes this.
post #858 of 2580 Old 03-06-2019, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I just got my 75 950 in I have unbowed it and not setting it up. Pictures will follow too What do you guys want me to take pictures of ?
rynomyte likes this.
post #859 of 2580 Old 03-06-2019, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expono#1 View Post
I just got my 75 950 in I have unbowed it and not setting it up. Pictures will follow too What do you guys want me to take pictures of ?
I meant unboxing and now setting up lol
WOLVERNOLE and rynomyte like this.
post #860 of 2580 Old 03-06-2019, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Sakowski View Post
I'm considering the X950G 75", but have concerns over the X-Wide technology after reading through this thread and the few reviews out there so far. Does X-Wide negatively affect the picture quality when viewing straight on, or just from the viewing positions that are off center?

It affects contrast performance globally, unfortunately. Not just when viewing off center.
WOLVERNOLE and Cuthalu like this.
post #861 of 2580 Old 03-06-2019, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForecastV View Post
It affects contrast performance globally, unfortunately. Not just when viewing off center.
That's what I was afraid of. I think I may have researched myself away from this TV.
post #862 of 2580 Old 03-06-2019, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Although not perfect, it looks like Samsung’s wide angle filter is a step up on Sony’s. Both appear to hold on to color well, but Samsung doesn’t have the hit to contrast that Sony has while viewing straight on.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #863 of 2580 Old 03-06-2019, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Sakowski View Post
That's what I was afraid of. I think I may have researched myself away from this TV.
I wouldn't go that far yet.

I tried to buy the 940e just prior to the Superbowl and BBuy was completely out of them, couldn't even order one. I buy my appliances there for the 0% as it works well for me. My Magnolia guy I trust said no dice, out. So I too have been waiting for reviews on the 75" version of this TV to replace a 2007 1080p DLP (Mitsu). I'm a little disappointed but I need to see it in person and wait for more reviews. Whatever I buy will be going in a dark room. I want a 75" definitely as my Marantz tuner supports eArc and so does this TV. So worst case, if it's bad, I wait a little bit more. I was waiting on a 940e replacement. Now that I have eArc, I definitely want a newer Sony set. All they had to do is throw the chip and new features into the 940e and call it a day. This wide angle feature is what is killing the black levels in the reviews. But, never go by one review and you need to see it in person. People here tend to annihilate most anything so take things with some salt.
post #864 of 2580 Old 03-06-2019, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Quoted: 4474 Post(s)
Liked: 5487
With these X-wide angle sets if you plan to watch them in a near dark or dark room with no bias lighting, you really need to look at them first in a dark showroom to see if they work for you. They are excellent in bright environments but you may not be too happy in dark environments and may want to upgrade to a Z9F which has better black control but is more expensive.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #865 of 2580 Old 03-06-2019, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Two questions about the 950G.

Question 1:
I've got mine connected to a Sony HT-Z9F soundbar, which has two input devices connected. HDMI 1 has my Comcast cable box, and HDMI 2 has a 4K AppleTV. In the input listing of the TV, it shows HDMI 3 as the soundbar, which then has sub inputs for the AppleTV, but not the Comcast cable box. I can fire up the TV and switch to the AppleTV and all the audio switches with it, and I never need to touch the soundbar remote. But when I try and switch to the Comcast box, it is not shown in the input list, and doesn't auto-detect the audio. I HAVE to use the soundbar remote to switch the audio and input. I'm wondering if this is a setting I'm missing, or if the Comcast box just isn't capable of being recognized properly. (I'm leaning towards the Comcast box sucking)

Question 2:
Where is Airplay 2 support? I'm not finding anything in the menus of the TV indicating where I configure/enable this option. I'm wondering if Sony just hasn't gotten around to adding this to the software yet, or if I'm doing something wrong. Anyone have any news? Google searches have yielded no useful information other than the TV is supposed to support airplay 2.
post #866 of 2580 Old 03-06-2019, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I think this test by HDTV Polska is pretty informative regarding the whole x TV scales better (use translate).

https://hdtvpolska.com/skalowanie-ob...nice-w-nowych/

They don't even bother testing scaling because with all post processing stuff off every TV looks basically the same (as RTING demonstrates). It's only when some form of sharpness is applied that people notice a difference but even then you have to be extremely close to the TV to notice.

Last edited by FantasticGrand; 03-06-2019 at 07:07 PM.
post #867 of 2580 Old 03-06-2019, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I believe many are watching this thread like myself and wondering, "should I wait for the 950G or just buy a discounted 900F".
Question I have is, will the 900F be discontinued this year. Reading this forum, I was under the impression that it will be continued but everywhere in my town, the 900F's are being deeply discounted
which really makes me believe they might be done.

?

Thanks
Craig
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #868 of 2580 Old 03-07-2019, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
What exactly is the Sony doing in the middle of the night while powered off that's triggering the receiver?
If you really want to know, you will need a CEC-snooper like this: https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/104/usb-hdmi-cec-adapter
But I can assure you - the logs of CEC traffic are enormous and it will take some work to understand the sequence of events and what might be causing the wakeup.
PS I will give it another try someday soon - could it be that with Oreo the CEC was upgraded to version 2.0?? It has been CEC version 1.4 so far (can be seen in my log referred to below).
I posted one of my logs on macrumors forum here, if you want to see, what can be seen using pulseeight adapter and software.

Last edited by priitv8; 03-07-2019 at 01:54 AM.
post #869 of 2580 Old 03-07-2019, 04:37 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Even with HDMI control (CEC) turned off on the Denon, somehow the TV still turned the receiver on again overnight. Now I have to disable ARC/Bravia sync altogether and resort to an optical cable.

post #870 of 2580 Old 03-07-2019, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticGrand View Post
I think this test by HDTV Polska is pretty informative regarding the whole x TV scales better (use translate).

https://hdtvpolska.com/skalowanie-ob...nice-w-nowych/

They don't even bother testing scaling because with all post processing stuff off every TV looks basically the same (as RTING demonstrates). It's only when some form of sharpness is applied that people notice a difference but even then you have to be extremely close to the TV to notice.
That's just because they don't sell vizio in Poland.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page