2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1063Likes

post #871 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1944
Vincent/HDTVtest uses a test pattern to measure the "softness" of scaling and Sony televisions with the ultimate processor are at one end of the spectrum and TCL televisions - he tested someone's 6 series when he was in the USA - are at the other end. Vizio televisions are a notch below TCL. He also uses content - usually "Father Brown" - to demonstrate the differences.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just got news from Rtings.com via facebook. Compared with the X905F, the new model (X95G) features:

1 - has a higher brightness ratio than the previous model
2 - on the other hand, the contrast is slightly lower

PS: they are using the 55 "model for testing, so the review is only valid for the 55 and 65"

Last edited by Dener Melo; 03-07-2019 at 11:39 AM.
post #873 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dener Melo View Post
I just got news from Rtings.com via facebook. Compared with the X905F, the new model (X95G) features:

PS: they are using the 55 "model for testing, so the review is only valid for the 55 and 65"
That's what they usually do unfortunately, test a 55" or 65" to keep their costs down. But Sony is always mixing things within their models, having both IPS and VA panels in the 850E/850F lineups and now X-Wide Angle only in the larger X950Fs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #874 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
That's what they usually do unfortunately, test a 55" or 65" to keep their costs down. But Sony is always mixing things within their models, having both IPS and VA panels in the 850E/850F lineups and now X-Wide Angle only in the larger X950Fs.
For me personally, 55" and 65" are more interesting, so I don't mind. But of course it'd be ideal if they could review the X950G in both 55" and 75", so we could get a clear idea of how they differ and to make it more useful for everyone, regardless of which size they're interested in.
Cuthalu likes this.
post #875 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Unlike other tv review and test sites, Rtings purchase their own tvs for testing. Wish they could do a 75" test.
post #876 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaGodzilla View Post
For me personally, 55" and 65" are more interesting, so I don't mind. But of course it'd be ideal if they could review the X950G in both 55" and 75", so we could get a clear idea of how they differ and to make it more useful for everyone, regardless of which size they're interested in.
But I think the X-Wide Angle is going to work just like it does on the Z9F, hurting black levels will improving viewing angle. It does have the same the "Ultimate" processor, but the X950G just won't be a bright.
post #877 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6763 Post(s)
Liked: 6767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post
Something about this new X950G is turning on my Denon receiver in the middle of the night. It's happened both nights where I turn off both the TV & receiver and sometime later the Denon gets powered back on but not the TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSamuel View Post
I believe many are watching this thread like myself and wondering, "should I wait for the 950G or just buy a discounted 900F".
Question I have is, will the 900F be discontinued this year. Reading this forum, I was under the impression that it will be continued but everywhere in my town, the 900F's are being deeply discounted
which really makes me believe they might be done.
No one can tell for sure what a manufacturer will do, as they did let the Z9D run for a while, and the 75" is still running. With that said I would "think" within 1-3 months the 900F would be gone nationwide.
post #878 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
But I think the X-Wide Angle is going to work just like it does on the Z9F, hurting black levels will improving viewing angle. It does have the same the "Ultimate" processor, but the X950G just won't be a bright.

That sounds fair, but it’s still nice to know how much of a hit black levels will take. The hope was that Sony would have improved the tech for the 950G. Unfortunately, based on that Flatpanelshd review, this does not appear to be the case.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #879 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
That sounds fair, but it’s still nice to know how much of a hit black levels will take. The hope was that Sony would have improved the tech for the 950G. Unfortunately, based on that Flatpanelshd review, this does not appear to be the case.
I'll just repeat my analysis of this from last year's Z9F debut. IMO Sony has decided to produce LCDs for bright family room applications and leave the dark theater room to their line of OLEDs. The Z9F is still a great TV for the typical well lit, multi windowed family room and I think the X950G will be a very good lower cost alternative for that use. But for a dark theater room, Sony fans should pick up a left over Z9D or go for one their excellent OLEDs.
post #880 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:

I now find it fair to lose a little in contrast if I gain a little more glare.

Provided it is not a huge sacrifice of contrast. We think, if it increases 200 nits, I find it understandable to reduce from 5000: 1 to 4500: 1

That's just an example, now if it's a bigger miss than that, it will not be as advantageous anymore. I still have hope that the models 55 and 65 "have a contrast well above the review of 75" posted on the site that has X-wide angle.
This is very important to me because it will be my TV exchange since 2013.
post #881 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
I'll just repeat my analysis of this from last year's Z9F debut. IMO Sony has decided to produce LCDs for bright family room applications and leave the dark theater room to their line of OLEDs. The Z9F is still a great TV for the typical well lit, multi windowed family room and I think the X950G will be a very good lower cost alternative for that use. But for a dark theater room, Sony fans should pick up a left over Z9D or go for one their excellent OLEDs.

Which IMO there’s nothing wrong with that strategy most need a set that performs in a lit setting i.e. football Sunday. I as a retiree decide that I choose not to block out daylight but I do own a Z9d that gives me both a great daytime tv as well as acceptable night performance, not an Oled but while I’m currently watching Lucy I’m not wanting for luminance.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #882 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Sorry for ignorance, but what's the difference between watching in a dark room or an illuminated room?

I'm asking why I love to use vivid mode on my TV regardless of the environment. But in that case, it seems to me that you have a different analysis that may help my experience.
post #883 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:

I agree, but that doesn’t help out those of us that fit into neither of those categories. I’m thinking of the enthusiast looking for a set larger than 65”, or even 75”/77”, who wants excellent dark room and bright room performance in a larger than 80” size. Not to mention those outrageous 77” OLED prices. Imagine paying for a 77” OLED and having burn in showing up a little after a year of ownership. No thanks!

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #884 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Sorry for ignorance, but what's the difference between watching in a dark room or an illuminated room?

I'm asking why I love to use vivid mode on my TV regardless of the environment. But in that case, it seems to me that you have a different analysis that may help my experience.
If you are in a generally bright environment your pupils will contract more, as your eyes now let in less light it makes it harder to see dark shades of colors or minor blooming, this would make it harder to spot the blooming on ZF9 in a day lit room, but in a dark environment ZD9 which blooms less is better suited for a dark cave. You should match the screen average brightness to your environment or you'll tire your eyes and get a headache. But even in a dark room you can watch HDR with intensely bright highlights and they still wont blind you (within reason) as it's only smaller parts of the screen.
post #885 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked: 814
New Sony X950G

Quote:

Vivid really? the most inaccurate of all the picture modes.
You can easily set either custom or cinema for bright room and night. Then you can just toggle depending on room lighting.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"

Last edited by gomo657; 03-07-2019 at 12:32 PM.
post #886 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Watching closely because I'm debating a 77" C8 OLED, 85" X950G, or possibly an 85" X900F if the prices come down enough. All of these seem to have similar street prices right now. Viewing angles are important, but most viewing will be done close from straight on. It's mostly guests who will have a bad angle. Black level is nice, but shadow detail is more important since this won't be a light controlled room and it has tons of windows (though none are south facing). I've got a light controlled theater for critical viewing, so absolute performance isn't critical and this will be used for regular TV/Netflix 99% of the time. I would consider Samsung, but haven't been thrilled with the reliability/quality of my Samsung F8500 plasma (or my old work Galaxy S4, or newer work Galaxy S7). While this X950G isn't perfect, it seems to hit the mark better than anything else I've seen.

Tim
post #887 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 4535 Post(s)
Liked: 5533
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgrady View Post
Watching closely because I'm debating a 77" C8 OLED, 85" X950G, or possibly an 85" X900F if the prices come down enough. All of these seem to have similar street prices right now. Viewing angles are important, but most viewing will be done close from straight on. It's mostly guests who will have a bad angle. Black level is nice, but shadow detail is more important since this won't be a light controlled room and it has tons of windows (though none are south facing). I've got a light controlled theater for critical viewing, so absolute performance isn't critical and this will be used for regular TV/Netflix 99% of the time. I would consider Samsung, but haven't been thrilled with the reliability/quality of my Samsung F8500 plasma (or my old work Galaxy S4, or newer work Galaxy S7). While this X950G isn't perfect, it seems to hit the mark better than anything else I've seen.

Tim
It's a very simple choice. If you have a light controlled room go for the OLED. If you have a bright room go for the X950 or X900 and if it's really bright get the Z9F. I think the PQ on the X950 is slightly better than the X900 and the newer chipset will be supported longer.
srkmish likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #888 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 93
the thing is that ZD9 is great in bright room too (except maybe viewing angles, but that isnt an issue if you are watching alone head-on like I do)

so .. just make a "modern" Z9D with X1U with HDMI 2.1 and all the bells and whistles .. and maybe that add excellent anti-glare that Samsung has now
Soundizer17 likes this.
post #889 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
You can easily set either custom or cinema for bright room and night. Then you can just toggle depending on room lighting.
I have a Sony W905A (2013 model) and I like to use vivid mode for a reason. He's brighter.

Unfortunately my TV in this mode should reach 450 nits in this mode. At the time these were good numbers. I picked it up because its panel is 240Hz with motionflow 960hz.

Are these new TVs that only make 120hz but with X-Motion technology is better than mine in terms of movement?
post #890 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Some of the reviews tell you more about this. I'm trying to find another French but I still have not found it. As soon as I find it updates. I remember talking a little better about that depth of field saying that this should be provalvemnte to the fact that X1 Ultimate use Object Basead Superesolution

https://www.evolife.cn/av/216708.html
http://tv.zol.com.cn/708/7081469.html

As for X-Motion, the reviews said that the Ultimate chip better handle the technology using the dimming site with a smoother transition.

Thank you for those links. I read them and haven't found anything about 'depth of field' Only some marketing phrases and reviewer's impressions but not technical details.

Quote:
IMO Sony has decided to produce LCDs for bright family room applications and leave the dark theater room to their line of OLEDs
That is 100% correct.

Quote:
True!

Quote:
Viewing angles are important, but most viewing will be done close from straight on
Viewing angles are important for big LCD screens even if you're viewing from straight on. Check this video from 4:32

Quote:
While this X950G isn't perfect, it seems to hit the mark better than anything else I've seen.
If you are happy with the price then go for it. It's good TV

Last edited by Tomek398; 03-07-2019 at 06:24 PM.
post #891 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
Which IMO there’s nothing wrong with that strategy most need a set that performs in a lit setting i.e. football Sunday. I as a retiree decide that I choose not to block out daylight but I do own a Z9d that gives me both a great daytime tv as well as acceptable night performance, not an Oled but while I’m currently watching Lucy I’m not wanting for luminance.
I'm retired also, but I have a "man cave" in the basement for my football and baseball sports watching. My wife uses the other TV in the family room. My retirement budget won't allow for a Z9D. I recently bought two new Samsung TVs for under $1,400, a 55" Q7C for my wife and a 65" NU6900 for my basement. Both are VA panels with better than average contrast ratios so they both do well in the dark. Neither area needs a wide viewing angle, so I moved my old plasmas to our beach house where extended viewing angles are useful. The Q7C is bright enough and has a good enough AR filter for our bright, multi-windowed family room. I'm not into all the super hero movies that have all the HDR effects videophiles seem to worry about so both edge-lit TVs work for me.
post #892 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 04:55 PM

[QUOTE=Tomek398;57710518]Thank you for those links. I read them and haven't found anything about 'depth of field' Only some marketing phrases and reviewer's impressions but not technical details.

The depth-of-field part is then in another review, but I did not find it.

In this Chinese review, I found it a curious thing. Reading again today.

According to them, the black level is close to an OLED TV, however it is not forced like most LCDs that force black to the point of erasing the details that remain in dark parts of the images. From it they illustrate this fire, the Outdoor and the image of the Buddha See:

So, since I am a layman, I can not understand one thing. If the contrast of the X95G is worse than previous models, how can it reach such good levels of black so?
post #893 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 05:02 PM

Again, sorry for the question. But why is vivid mode so much criticized? Any image loss?

PS: I use it on my old TV because it reaches a higher level of brightness. My TV should reach a maximum of 450 nits in this mode.
post #894 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Again, sorry for the question. But why is vivid mode so much criticized? Any image loss?

PS: I use it on my old TV because it reaches a higher level of brightness. My TV should reach a maximum of 450 nits in this mode.
It washes out the picture, at least it does on my Samsung Q9fn. Most on these forums prefer accuracy and deep detailed blacks above anything else, so vivid wouldn't be an optimal choice since you loose accuracy. However, if you like what you see and don't care that it doesn't match the directors intent and prefer the brightness and colors, who cares what anybody else thinks. Just enjoy it.
post #895 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
If the contrast of the X95G is worse than previous models, how can it reach such good levels of black so?
In general LCD TVs can reach very good levels of black due to local dimming. If you could turn off whole zone completely then black would be the same as on OLED. Zero light. However most of the time you can't turn off zone completely especially when it is relatively big.

Quote:
But why is vivid mode so much criticized? Any image loss?
VIVID=oversaturated colours+max brightness+max contrast and other contrast enhancements ON+oversharpening+motion interpolation ON. It's there so you can use it if you like but be aware of above and don't be surprised that movies in cinema look different than on your TV

Last edited by Tomek398; 03-07-2019 at 06:20 PM.
post #896 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 06:07 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 361 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
An update that claims to fix my phantom overnight receiver power ups... https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/00015771

Quote:
Resolves a condition where the TV switches from Standby to Semi Standby and switches on any AV Receiver connected via HDMI CEC
But he 950G isn't listed in the model numbers (not even the 900F but the 900E is there) and the TV won't install it using auto update. It's still on v6.2026.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #897 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomek398 View Post
Quote:
If the contrast of the X95G is worse than previous models, how can it reach such good levels of black so?
In general LCD TVs can reach very good levels of black due to local dimming. If you could turn off whole zone completely then black would be the same as on OLED. Zero light. However most of the time you can't turn off zone completely especially when it is relatively big.

Quote:
But why is vivid mode so much criticized? Any image loss?
VIVID=oversaturated colours+max brightness+max contrast and other contrast enhancements ON+oversharpening+max motion interpolation. It's there so you can use it if you like but be aware of above and don't be surprised that movies in cinema look different than on your TV

I like the smooth in motionflow setting on TV.

for a smoother motion, should the motion interpolation be high or low? 🤔

Last edited by Dener Melo; 03-07-2019 at 06:26 PM.
post #898 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I like the smooth motion setting on TV. for a smoother motion, should the motion interpolation be high or low? 🤔
Motion interpolation in controlled by Smoothness (Min (0) - Max (5))
post #899 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 49
[quote=Dener Melo;57710780]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomek398 View Post
Thank you for those links. I read them and haven't found anything about 'depth of field' Only some marketing phrases and reviewer's impressions but not technical details.

The depth-of-field part is then in another review, but I did not find it.

In this Chinese review, I found it a curious thing. Reading again today.

According to them, the black level is close to an OLED TV, however it is not forced like most LCDs that force black to the point of erasing the details that remain in dark parts of the images. From it they illustrate this fire, the Outdoor and the image of the Buddha See:

Spoiler!

So, since I am a layman, I can not understand one thing. If the contrast of the X95G is worse than previous models, how can it reach such good levels of black so?

I believe they were reviewing the 65" model which does not have the wide-angle tech, hence the better contrast.

Setup:
Display: ISF Pro Calibrated LG OLED65C7P TV 7.1.4 Sound: Denon AVR-X4400H, Sony Stereo (amp), Klipsch: RP-440C, RP-250F x 2, RP-150M x 4, RP-140SA x 4, R-10SW 4K Disc Players: Oppo UDP-203 (Region Free & Dolby Vision), Panasonic DP-UB820 Streaming Player: Apple TV 4K Video-Game Consoles: Xbox One X & PS4 Remotes: Logitech Harmony Elite Remote Control with Hub and iPad App
post #900 of 2748 Old 03-07-2019, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
I can not understand one thing. If the contrast of the X95G is worse than previous models, how can it reach such good levels of black so?
There's no real measurements in chinese article. I would not take it seriously.
Cuthalu, srkmish, Panson and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page