2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2362Likes

post #961 of 6658 Old 03-09-2019, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post
Turning off full pixel in settings might hide it.
The option is set to +1 in the youtube tv app, and its disabled, unable to be changed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 6658 Old 03-10-2019, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by lda1 View Post
Hi All - Been reading through this discussion with great interest because of the current situation with I'm in... This is a good one (off topic, rant, but it comes together at the end, I promise):

Back in the very beginning of 2017 I ended up picking up a 65x930d from BestBuy and then paid $259 for a 4 year warranty. I took it home and was very happy with the TV for the price paid. After minor calibration I was pretty much completely content with the quality of this set. It was also quite a beautiful TV. For some additional background, this is in a dedicated home theater area of my home, viewed in complete darkness 100 percent of the time and it is hooked up to a pretty solid HT setup (Marantz receiver, PSB front/center, SVS sub).

Fast forward 2 years pretty much to the day, I'm watching a movie, the picture starts to digitize and look weird, so I decide to power cycle, only thing is the TV never turned back on. Long story short, this thing is as dead as a doornail. I google search, find out there is a service bulletin out from Sony saying this model has power supply/board related issues and they are extending the factory warranty to 2021. But it doesn't matter, because I have the Best Buy plan so I call up the "geek squad" –

Visit #1
10 days later, they arrive after shipping a number of parts to my house. They tear the thing apart, put all the parts in and it is still dead. They put it back together, dead, and say they will come back in a week or so.

Visit #2
Next week arrives, they pull the thing down and begin to do work again, but as they pull it down off my stand, the thing is bending about 10 degrees at the top, because they held it at the very top (which you're not supposed to do on this model, per the stickers that once appeared up there). I'm cringing as I'm watching them do this but am thinking, whatever, can't be that bad. So, they end up messing around with it for about 1.5 hours, put the parts in and it is still dead. I'm like WTF. At this point, it is going on three weeks since the thing died. I start to flip out and say, well, isn't this the time you guys ship me a new set that is of equal specs? And they say no, the "lemon" policy in the Best Buy plan is three attempts and longer than 30 days. So I'm like, real nice, should have read the fine print – or used Amex warranty service – or just called Sony. Hindsight is 20/20. They order a new main board and they are going to send someone out in a week. I flip out on twitter and call corporate, neither amounted to anything.

Visit #3
Week or so later a tech who specializes in TVs comes. Instantly I can tell he knows his stuff. He gets the TV up and running within 30 minutes, the other guys installed the parts wrong and forgot to connect a ribbon cable – of course. But, he's the best part, the last time when the “geeks” mishandled the TV, it ended up damaging the panel, top center. So now they finally need to replace the TV. They leave and tell me BestBuy will reach out within 24 hours. 4 days pass and I don’t hear from them. Finally, I text the tech and reach out on Twitter and I get a call back. They tell me that since I went through all the trouble, they are going to credit me for the TV and I can pick out any TV I want and they will give me a 5 year warranty for it. I’m like OK cool. But then I start thinking about this. The 930 was a $3,200 TV when it came out. I was completely happy with it, and it was broken by Best Buy. Now I go in there today and they are like, well you could get the 900F, but the 950G is a better option, but you’ll need to pay the $400 difference. They tell them it is going to be better than the 930d so I’m like, ok, and I pay the money. But now, I’m also realizing they want to take the damaged TV (it’s basically got a 3 inch thin line of some messed up pixels or backlight in a small section) and I was going to throw it in the basement playroom for the kids. So, it’s really left me thinking… how screwed did I get in this debacle? Is the 950G going to be comparable? I’m assuming the image quality will be better – full array backlight, but overall build quality/looks may not be. Plus, I’m out $400 bucks, that I would have never had to spend. Probably the last thing I ever get from Best Buy…

Thoughts on what I should do? Should I tell them I’m not going to give up the 930? Or look at different models? I’m really bummed about all this and Best Buy has been an absolute nightmare to deal with. 5 weeks later, I am still dealing with it.
Since you're coming from a 930d and not the 930e, you should see a noticable jump in PQ with either the 900f or 950g. Contrast has greatly improved since the 930d was released. The 900f is a proven TV with overwhelmingly positive reviews. Only you can decide if the $400 extra will be worth it. I would imagine the X950g will be another solid performer and thats what I would personally choose.

Head over to Rtings for a quick reference
lda1 likes this.
post #963 of 6658 Old 03-10-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7613 Post(s)
Liked: 7671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Questions in that regard. Do companies cultivate favorable reviewers? Do companies have "review TVs" for reviewers that won't buy? "Review TVs" that've had higher quality control applied?
Here is my take..... I do not think a manufacturer is going to test lets say 10 units just to send the best one to a reviewer, at that point why not look at 20, 30, 40 units? There is a point where it becomes pointless, as no TV is perfect. I guess in the end, does it really matter? A cherry picked unit is how much better then a normal unit? That same cherry picked unit can not power on one day just like any other set, then what.... I know the cherry picked units will have anomalies just like every other unit out there. Show me a TV, I am sure I can find something wrong with it if you paid me to, otherwise a buy a TV to enjoy not examine I know if Chad B writes a review on an item, it is a random unit.

With this said they may look at a couple and pick the best one but to sit here and say it is one of the best one's to roll off a assembly line is pointless and doubtful.
Panson likes this.

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 03-10-2019 at 08:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #964 of 6658 Old 03-10-2019, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Thoughts on what I should do? Should I tell them I’m not going to give up the 930? Or look at different models? I’m really bummed about all this and Best Buy has been an absolute nightmare to deal with. 5 weeks later, I am still dealing with it.

How much did the Best Buy extended warranty cost you? You need to add that to the $400 upgrade charge to fully calculate how much you're paying to Best Buy for this wonderful service. Regardless, the extended warranty is now a sunk cost, and I would pay the $400 to upgrade to the X950G. The picture quality does not appear to be significantly better than that of the X900F, but is has lower input lag, a much smoother Android TV experience, and will likely be supported for longer than the X900F.
js950 likes this.
post #965 of 6658 Old 03-10-2019, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
How much did the Best Buy extended warranty cost you? You need to add that to the $400 upgrade charge to fully calculate how much you're paying to Best Buy for this wonderful service. Regardless, the extended warranty is now a sunk cost, and I would pay the $400 to upgrade to the X950G. The picture quality does not appear to be significantly better than that of the X900F, but is has lower input lag, a much smoother Android TV experience, and will likely be supported for longer than the X900F.
So, they basically ported over the warranty from the 930 over to the new model and since there are no longer 4 year plans, it is a 5 year. I think the actual cost is $399, but I don't have to pay for it. The actual cost for the 950g over the 900f is 500 bucks, since they are crediting me back 1899 and BB currently has the 900 on sale for 1699. I suppose at this point I will just end up going with the newer model, because I'm a pretty firm believer in not buying old tech when possible. Just feeling very uncomfortable and annoyed by the entire situation. One thing I did not realize that is worth noting, with their "Magnolia" warranty plans, they told me they do not swap out models for their current equivalents, but rather just credit you back the original amount paid if it comes to it. So, I suppose in some cases it would be to your advantage, e.g. bought a brand new item going at MSRP. But if you bought something that was heavily discounted, you will not be able to get something equal to it unless of course, you bought the discounted model at that time of replacement with your credit.
post #966 of 6658 Old 03-10-2019, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
So, they basically ported over the warranty from the 930 over to the new model and since there are no longer 4 year plans, it is a 5 year. I think the actual cost is $399, but I don't have to pay for it. The actual cost for the 950g over the 900f is 500 bucks, since they are crediting me back 1899 and BB currently has the 900 on sale for 1699. I suppose at this point I will just end up going with the newer model, because I'm a pretty firm believer in not buying old tech when possible. Just feeling very uncomfortable and annoyed by the entire situation. One thing I did not realize that is worth noting, with their "Magnolia" warranty plans, they told me they do not swap out models for their current equivalents, but rather just credit you back the original amount paid if it comes to it. So, I suppose in some cases it would be to your advantage, e.g. bought a brand new item going at MSRP. But if you bought something that was heavily discounted, you will not be able to get something equal to it unless of course, you bought the discounted model at that time of replacement with your credit.
Since the 900f is still a valid model that would seem to be why they are seeing it as the model to use as the basis within the terms of the warranty. Prices have come down and technology advances so its hard to use the past cost as a means for justifying another model. If I recall from past claims with BB, they never provided you a replacement warranty, so I would rationalize the purchase of the 950g as paying for a warranty if that were the way you go. Otherwise, the 900f is still a good set and as previously noted will be better than the 930d plus they are giving the warranty for free with that model. Personally, I would spend the $400 / $500 and get the 950g just to get the better processor and chipset.

Honestly, Sony is worse about this while in warranty. I had an x950b we used for primary watching which I loved and it developed an issue that was ultimately replaced with a 930e. When I went though the claim process, I felt like the Z9D was a valid replacement however they felt it was a $1600 premium which was laughable (it had just come out). My 930d also had a warranty claim with Sony and they would not give me a 930e but gave me a refurb 930d with a 4 year warranty.

As for keeping the 930d, I would not expect them to allow you to keep it.

I have the 930d in my office and been debating on replacing with a 950g so if you go for it, I would love to hear how much better it is.
lda1 likes this.
post #967 of 6658 Old 03-11-2019, 05:41 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 483 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked: 1463
My 950G is eating tons of bandwidth only while powered off!

I noticed that my Comcast data shot way up from normal and have tracked it to the TV.

Here is the router showing activity when I turned the TV off and everyone asleep and then the next day with the TV on & people using devices is nothing by comparison. Then that night the TV goes off and the data goes nuts again.

The next timeline is me leaving the TV off but pulling the data cable (wifi off) and it all stops until this morning when I plugged the cable back in but left the TV off and it spikes again.

I normally use about half of our 1TB data cap each month but am already on track to go over after having this TV for a week.

I can reproduce everything by either powering the TV on/off or connecting/pulling the ethernet.

I guess next step is a full factory reset? I've only added a few benign apps like TV networks, airscreen, hulu, but nothing that should eat data while powered off.

Anyone ever seen anything like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A.png
Views:	919
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	2537270   Click image for larger version

Name:	B.png
Views:	902
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	2537272  
JD23 and Cuthalu like this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #968 of 6658 Old 03-11-2019, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajinni View Post
Since the 900f is still a valid model that would seem to be why they are seeing it as the model to use as the basis within the terms of the warranty. Prices have come down and technology advances so its hard to use the past cost as a means for justifying another model. If I recall from past claims with BB, they never provided you a replacement warranty, so I would rationalize the purchase of the 950g as paying for a warranty if that were the way you go. Otherwise, the 900f is still a good set and as previously noted will be better than the 930d plus they are giving the warranty for free with that model. Personally, I would spend the $400 / $500 and get the 950g just to get the better processor and chipset.

Honestly, Sony is worse about this while in warranty. I had an x950b we used for primary watching which I loved and it developed an issue that was ultimately replaced with a 930e. When I went though the claim process, I felt like the Z9D was a valid replacement however they felt it was a $1600 premium which was laughable (it had just come out). My 930d also had a warranty claim with Sony and they would not give me a 930e but gave me a refurb 930d with a 4 year warranty.

As for keeping the 930d, I would not expect them to allow you to keep it.

I have the 930d in my office and been debating on replacing with a 950g so if you go for it, I would love to hear how much better it is.
Thanks for the feedback. Making me feel better about the whole thing. As of now, the 950 is coming on Friday, so I will definitely chime in with my impressions compared to the 930d.
post #969 of 6658 Old 03-11-2019, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:

I noticed that my Comcast data shot way up from normal and have tracked it to the TV.

Here is the router showing activity when I turned the TV off and everyone asleep and then the next day with the TV on & people using devices is nothing by comparison. Then that night the TV goes off and the data goes nuts again.

The next timeline is me leaving the TV off but pulling the data cable (wifi off) and it all stops until this morning when I plugged the cable back in but left the TV off and it spikes again.

I normally use about half of our 1TB data cap each month but am already on track to go over after having this TV for a week.

I can reproduce everything by either powering the TV on/off or connecting/pulling the ethernet.

I guess next step is a full factory reset? I've only added a few benign apps like TV networks, airscreen, hulu, but nothing that should eat data while powered off.

Did it ask you about sending use or service data to Sony on initial setup? If so, I'd start over and reject the option.
post #970 of 6658 Old 03-11-2019, 06:50 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by js950 View Post
Did it ask you about sending use or service data to Sony on initial setup? If so, I'd start over and reject the option.
I honestly don't remember but these numbers are like the TV is streaming 4K constantly while powered off vs sending basic usage data.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
post #971 of 6658 Old 03-11-2019, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Or maybe something is trying to update and it keeps on failing and trying again. Happened on my laptop once.
post #972 of 6658 Old 03-11-2019, 07:24 AM

Liked: 20
Anyone know how long it takes for RTINGS.com to review once they've purchased a set? I'm still anxiously awaiting any major reviews of the TV...
post #973 of 6658 Old 03-11-2019, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just got answers from Rtings on Facebook.
Native contrast is about 4500: 1 and well above that with Local Dimming for the TV of 55 "

"Rtings.com Just shy of 4500 native, above that with local dimming enabled"

Recalling that the X905F had 5000: 1 and with local dimming 5700: 1
Something tells me that the new dimming site of the X95G can go up more than that. But they did not tell me.
post #974 of 6658 Old 03-11-2019, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dener Melo View Post
Native contrast is about 4500: 1 and well above that with Local Dimming for the TV of 55 "

Something tells me that the new dimming site of the X95G can go up more than that. But they did not tell me.

Wonder how the numbers will look with the X-Wide on the larger sets. They probably won't test one of those.,
post #975 of 6658 Old 03-11-2019, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I honestly don't remember but these numbers are like the TV is streaming 4K constantly while powered off vs sending basic usage data.
Sounds like the Sony A1 OLED that when left in standby with "wake-on-LAN" enabled it intermittently used a bunch of power and would turn it's self from full sleep to a more powered level. IIRC you can see if this is occurring if you have an USB flash drive/HDD that has an activity LED as it will read these then.
The suggestion was to either turn off wake-on-LAN or fully shut the set off.

Who's the daddy now???
post #976 of 6658 Old 03-11-2019, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:

4.5MBps?! BYTES?! When OFF?! What in the hell?! That's more than enough to stream 4k on Netflix.... something is desperately wrong and I'd want to do a packet capture on that ASAP!!
post #977 of 6658 Old 03-11-2019, 08:23 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Peak 1 is just me plugging the ethernet cable in but leaving the TV off this morning.

The valley to the right is the TV powered on while I was on the phone w/ Sony. They connected to the TV and said they saw no errors on the network logs but it didn't seem like they can tell specifically what data was being passed.

They had me unplug the power & ethernet for a minute and then power it back up as a soft reset.

Then I turned the TV back off which created peak 2. The valley to the right of that is simply turning on the TV again.

It seems to be consistently consuming data at about 3700kb/s which is about 13GB per hour!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C.png
Views:	1037
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	2537332  

Last edited by Mike Lang; 03-11-2019 at 08:40 AM.
post #978 of 6658 Old 03-11-2019, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
If X95G has the same number of zones (which is more than likely..) then it will perform very similar to X900F. If X95G is brighter then booming will be more visible but only slightly (barely noticeable)
post #979 of 6658 Old 03-11-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
Wonder how the numbers will look with the X-Wide on the larger sets. They probably won't test one of those.,

then the following affirmations on the facebook of the X95G Rtings:

- Native contrast slightly lower than the X905F
- Contrast with spot dimming the X905F
- Peak of brightness greater than the X905F (in this case I think it is worth the small loss of contrast)

According to other German, Chinese and French analysis sites:
- Higher color pressure: 91% for X95G (88% for X905F)
- Best audio
- Best android
- Better response time in operating system
- Better input lag

PS: and of course the new control.
post #980 of 6658 Old 03-11-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
- Best audio
- Best android
What is best audio???? ;-) ;-)
post #981 of 6658 Old 03-11-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomek398 View Post
What is best audio???? ;-) ;-)
according to the reviews posted here, it is because of the audio output added on the top of the TV that they deliver a better experience.
post #982 of 6658 Old 03-11-2019, 09:07 AM

OK ;-)

"Sony has added two additional tweeter units near the top, one on each side with the goal of adding more dimension to the sound stage and the give the impression that audio is “coming right from the screen”. However, since the system is limited to 2x10W these are not discreet channels for Dolby Atmos. The effect is certainly noticeable but since the existing speakers have a tendency to sound shrill, there is not much benefit to be had from adding extra units in the high-frequency range. Overall, the speaker system lacks bass and depth."

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....&id=1551684183
post #983 of 6658 Old 03-11-2019, 09:15 AM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomek398 View Post
OK 😉

"Sony has added two additional tweeter units near the top, one on each side with the goal of adding more dimension to the sound stage and the give the impression that audio is “coming right from the screen”. However, since the system is limited to 2x10W these are not discreet channels for Dolby Atmos. The effect is certainly noticeable but since the existing speakers have a tendency to sound shrill, there is not much benefit to be had from adding extra units in the high-frequency range. Overall, the speaker system lacks bass and depth."

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....&id=1551684183
On par with most flatsreens, but I'm sure there is bass level adjustment in the user menu which they could have tried 😉
post #984 of 6658 Old 03-11-2019, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
then the following affirmations on the facebook of the X95G Rtings:

- Native contrast slightly lower than the X905F
- Contrast with spot dimming the X905F
- Peak of brightness greater than the X905F (in this case I think it is worth the small loss of contrast)

According to other German, Chinese and French analysis sites:
- Higher color pressure: 91% for X95G (88% for X905F)
- Best audio
- Best android
- Better response time in operating system
- Better input lag

PS: and of course the new control.

But did they test a 75" with the X-Wide for contrast and blooming for comparison to the 900F? That was my statement.
post #985 of 6658 Old 03-11-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
But did they test a 75" with the X-Wide for contrast and blooming for comparison to the 900F? That was my statement.
No, Rtings is doing a review on the 55 "model (which can be applied to 65"). We expect them to analyze in the future a version that has the X-wide angle
post #986 of 6658 Old 03-11-2019, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No, Rtings is doing a review on the 55 "model (which can be applied to 65"). We expect them to analyze in the future a version that has the X-wide angle

Which was my point. How different will it be if/when they test it in comparison? Unfortunately, they rarely test multiple sizes of the same TV.
post #987 of 6658 Old 03-11-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
"The Sony 75XG9505 features a new audio system dubbed Acoustic Multi-Audio which consists of two speakers at the bottom of the TV and two tweeters placed at the back at the top of the TV. These two additional tweeters can improve the position of the sound, but without improving the sound quality of the whole. The voices seem to come out from the middle of the slab, while in a classical system the sound comes from below. As for the rest, the quality is average, nothing more, and we would like Sony to do a little better at this point"
https://www.lesnumeriques.com/tv-tel...1053/test.html

"Significantly above the TV average is also the sound quality. Sony unites a good sound and a discreet look with a trick: the speakers are housed at the bottom edge of the screen as usual. To make sound appear to come from the center of the image, the manufacturer in the upper room of the screen adds two tweeters to the right and left. The S-lute supply is slightly stressed, but raise the sound at the height of the image and provide more clarity"
https://www.computerbild.de/artikel/...-23070957.html

post #988 of 6658 Old 03-11-2019, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
"The Sony 75XG9505 features a new audio system dubbed Acoustic Multi-Audio which consists of two speakers at the bottom of the TV and two tweeters placed at the back at the top of the TV. These two additional tweeters can improve the position of the sound, but without improving the sound quality of the whole. The voices seem to come out from the middle of the slab, while in a classical system the sound comes from below. As for the rest, the quality is average, nothing more, and we would like Sony to do a little better at this point"
https://www.lesnumeriques.com/tv-tel...1053/test.html

"Significantly above the TV average is also the sound quality. Sony unites a good sound and a discreet look with a trick: the speakers are housed at the bottom edge of the screen as usual. To make sound appear to come from the center of the image, the manufacturer in the upper room of the screen adds two tweeters to the right and left. The S-lute supply is slightly stressed, but raise the sound at the height of the image and provide more clarity"
https://www.computerbild.de/artikel/...-23070957.html

You keep responding with something completely unrelated to my comment (sound when discussing contrast and blooming). I will just let it go at this point rather than have the thread littered with rebuttals.
post #989 of 6658 Old 03-11-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
You keep responding with something completely unrelated to my comment (sound when discussing contrast and blooming). I will just let it go at this point rather than have the thread littered with rebuttals.
Nope, sorry. This was not the intention.

I've posted the sources I used to say about "better sound". I'm definitely not a connoisseur in this field. So I used the fonts to complement what you posted and let people see if it really is something positive or not.

At this point I agree with you. I do not disagree. In my view, the positive point is just the fact that it has a more engaging sound "coming out of the screen" theoretically.
post #990 of 6658 Old 03-11-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2477 Post(s)
Liked: 3532
Quote:

Quote:
Based on his earlier repost of Rtngs Facebook review "preview" (see above), it's pretty safe to assume that the contrast specs for the 75/85 X Wide viewing are going to be poor. The fact that its only 4500 native on the 55" doesn't bode well.
iphilologos likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolby atmos , sony 950g 85" , x95g

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page