2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1101Likes

post #991 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2086 Post(s)
Liked: 1943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dener Melo View Post
I just got answers from Rtings on Facebook.
Native contrast is about 4500: 1 and well above that with Local Dimming for the TV of 55 "

"Rtings.com Just shy of 4500 native, above that with local dimming enabled"

Recalling that the X905F had 5000: 1 and with local dimming 5700: 1
Something tells me that the new dimming site of the X95G can go up more than that. But they did not tell me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
You keep responding with something completely unrelated to my comment (sound when discussing contrast and blooming). I will just let it go at this point rather than have the thread littered with rebuttals.
Based on his earlier repost of Rtngs Facebook review "preview" (see above), it's pretty safe to assume that the contrast specs for the 75/85 X Wide viewing are going to be poor. The fact that its only 4500 native on the 55" doesn't bode well.
iphilologos likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Based on his earlier repost of Rtngs Facebook review "preview" (see above), it's pretty safe to assume that the contrast specs for the 75/85 X Wide viewing are going to be poor. The fact that its only 4500 native on the 55" doesn't bode well.

Agreed and the point of my original comment in response to his post.

I guess I am at a point of either waiting another year to go to a 75" set, buying a 75" 900F, Q90R, or Quantum X (if they fixed banding and jail bars).
iphilologos likes this.

Last edited by Coercion Shaman; 03-11-2019 at 11:40 AM.
post #993 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Agreed and the point of my original comment in response to his post.

I guess I am at a point of either waiting another year to go to a 75" set, buying a 75" 900F or Q90R.
I would get the 75 900F (excellent discounts available these days) or look at the Vizio P Quantum/Quantum X when it comes out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #994 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
You keep responding with something completely unrelated to my comment (sound when discussing contrast and blooming). I will just let it go at this point rather than have the thread littered with rebuttals.
as for the contrast, I really do not know how much different it will be in the 55 "tested by Rting or 75" tested by Flatpanels as they have slightly different parameters.

The only thing I know is what the Rtings replied to me and my mother on facebook. Native contrast near 4500: 1 with local dimming similar to X905F and a higher brightness ratio (however review of them is being done on the TV of 55 ")

Once again I'm sorry for my English. I'm still learning the language.
Soundizer17 likes this.
post #995 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
as for the contrast, I really do not know how much different it will be in the 55 "tested by Rting or 75" tested by Flatpanels as they have slightly different parameters.

The only thing I know is what the Rtings replied to me and my mother on facebook. Native contrast near 4500: 1 with local dimming similar to X905F and a higher brightness ratio (however review of them is being done on the TV of 55 ")

Once again I'm sorry for my English. I'm still learning the language.

No apology necessary. Your English is fine. Just no need to 'Quote" unless directly related to your comment.
post #996 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post
Peak 1 is just me plugging the ethernet cable in but leaving the TV off this morning.

The valley to the right is the TV powered on while I was on the phone w/ Sony. They connected to the TV and said they saw no errors on the network logs but it didn't seem like they can tell specifically what data was being passed.

They had me unplug the power & ethernet for a minute and then power it back up as a soft reset.

Then I turned the TV back off which created peak 2. The valley to the right of that is simply turning on the TV again.

It seems to be consistently consuming data at about 3700kb/s which is about 13GB per hour!

Should point this out to Rtings to monitor for in their review
post #997 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 11:45 AM

Someone once said that the contrast ratio may be the most important thing of the picture on a TV. It was not the only one, but it was the most important one to analyze.

One question, why is it so important? More important than color, brightness, motion?
post #998 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 11:45 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 362 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
After a full factory reset and switching to wifi vs wired, the data usage appears to have stopped.

I'll have to monitor closely and only make changes once per day to narrow down what triggers it if it happens again.
LondonBenji and Soundizer17 like this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #999 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
One question, why is it so important? More important than color, brightness, motion?
Because contrast affects dynamical range of the image and also how pure colors are (to some extent).
post #1000 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
After a full factory reset and switching to wifi vs wired, the data usage appears to have stopped.

I'll have to monitor closely and only make changes once per day to narrow down what triggers it if it happens again.

Unfortunate that you changed two variables initially, but one would imagine that the wired vs WiFi was the less likely culprit of those two.
post #1001 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 11:56 AM
Administrator
Administrator

I plan to go back to wired at some point when I can babysit it.
LondonBenji likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
post #1002 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
No, Rtings is doing a review on the 55 "model (which can be applied to 65"). We expect them to analyze in the future a version that has the X-wide angle
I don't think you can comfortably assume the exact same gamut and contrast numbers by screen size. I'm sure it's Sony's intent but they will vary a bit by size.
post #1003 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have had my 75 950G for a a number of days all I can say is I love it !!!

I have a 85 900F and the picture has improved on the 950G to my eyes. I would say it's very close to the Z9F in color and pop from what i remember seeing at Best Buy.

The blooming is about what you would expect in a completely dark room you can see areas lighting up but its not distracting if you have bias light
or just a little light in the room.

The sound on the set is nice nothing earthshaking but for news ect its fine.

I have zero banding on a gray field put up on the set.

DSE is almost zero (no tv is perfect yet in that regard)

I will take more pictures I really like the new remote light years ahead of the old remote on the 900F and AF9 I own.

I would say for any of you on the fence go for it. Its a really good set and it pops the eArc works and the Ui is very snappy like on my A9F

I tried Dolby Vision on Netflix and the new mode did zero for me but maybe they will improve it down the road for now my own settings

have it looking good !

TC............
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv950.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	2537374   Click image for larger version

Name:	remote.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	2537376  

Last edited by Expono#1; 03-11-2019 at 12:15 PM. Reason: adding info
post #1004 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Someone once said that the contrast ratio may be the most important thing of the picture on a TV. It was not the only one, but it was the most important one to analyze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomek398 View Post
Because contrast affects dynamical range of the image and also how pure colors are (to some extent).

Before I stop littering up this thread, my statement was not purely on contrast. I should have clarified, though some on here see low contrast as a non-starter.

I'm not unhappy with my 65" 900F, I want to go to 75". Being happy with my current set, I wanted the next 'better' thing and gain four usable full bandwidth HDMI ports (the 900F only has two), better processor and an RF remote. Sound is irrelevant for me as I have a surround system. While the 950G may have better motion handling, I have no issue with my current set in that regard. I also have no banding, jail bars or DSE that I can see in content. If the X-Wide makes all that slightly worse... The biggest difficulty for me would be a regression from my current 900F. In short, I don't want to move backwards in overall PQ, and I already have that baseline from my current set.
post #1005 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expono#1 View Post

I have a 85 900F and the picture has improved on the 950G to my eyes. I would say it's very close to the Z9F in color and pop from what i remember seeing at Best Buy.

Sigh. Maybe this is still a consideration then, but that is why we follow these forums.
post #1006 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Sigh. Maybe this is still a consideration then, but that is why we follow these forums.
Defiantly go see one before you go with something else Coercion Shaman. I think you might really like it ...

TC................
post #1007 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomek398 View Post
To what extent is the contrast greater or lesser visible? Above 1000: 1? Or from 500: 1 already see difference?

I ask for this purpose, is this little difference below really visible?

X905F-5000: 1
X95G - 4500: 1 (Rting did not say exactly that number, but was pergutnado if it is close to that and they said that it almost reaches that value)

Thanks.
post #1008 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Peak 1 is just me plugging the ethernet cable in but leaving the TV off this morning.

The valley to the right is the TV powered on while I was on the phone w/ Sony. They connected to the TV and said they saw no errors on the network logs but it didn't seem like they can tell specifically what data was being passed.

They had me unplug the power & ethernet for a minute and then power it back up as a soft reset.

Then I turned the TV back off which created peak 2. The valley to the right of that is simply turning on the TV again.

It seems to be consistently consuming data at about 3700kb/s which is about 13GB per hour!

The issues you are seeing is why i took mine off the network and never put it back on again, it wasn't cause i had a data cap though, i just can't stand POS IoT devices on my network!
Cuthalu likes this.

Sony 85" 900F
Denon x4200w
BIC F12
6x Energy RC-10
DirecTV 4k/ Nvidia Shield 2019 / PS4 Pro / 1080 TI
post #1009 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:

Does this happen on wifi too? There may be some Android data usage/bandwidth apps that you can install or sideload, but Google search results suggest they may only work with WiFi. It would be helpful to know if it's Android vs. lower level software

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #1010 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 12:54 PM

Liked: 118
Quote:

The blooming is about what you would expect in a completely dark room you can see areas lighting up but its not distracting if you have bias light
or just a little light in the room.

The sound on the set is nice nothing earthshaking but for news ect its fine.

I have zero banding on a gray field put up on the set.

DSE is almost zero (no tv is perfect yet in that regard)

I will take more pictures I really like the new remote light years ahead of the old remote on the 900F and AF9 I own.

I would say for any of you on the fence go for it. Its a really good set and it pops the eArc works and the Ui is very snappy like on my A9F

I tried Dolby Vision on Netflix and the new mode did zero for me but maybe they will improve it down the road for now my own settings

have it looking good !

TC............
Thank you for posting, can you tell me how the x wide angle tech is?
post #1011 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
To what extent is the contrast greater or lesser visible? Above 1000: 1? Or from 500: 1 already see difference?

X95G - 4500: 1 (Rting did not say exactly that number, but was pergutnado if it is close to that and they said that it almost reaches that value)

Thanks.
I can't speak to if one can see a visible difference in an increased contrast ratio of 500. But contrast ratio (black levels) are an important contributor to what gives the picture quality depth and realism. It's why plasmas were so superior to LCD TVs before 4K. Count me as one of those for which poor contrast is a non starter. Of course there are other criteria that are important as well. No TV is perfect.

Check out the contrast ratio performance rankings on Rtngs here. You'll see that the top TVs are far higher than 4500-5000, and the gap is much wider factoring in local dimming. The Vizio Quantum and Samsung Q9 blow the field away. This doesn't include 2019 models of course.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/pict...contrast-ratio
post #1012 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6773 Post(s)
Liked: 6784
Quote:

Is your seating distance the same? If so the smaller TV will usually look better even if you had the exact same model. Just like if you stayed at the same distance and went to a 65". Not saying that is all of it but it could be part of it.
Panson likes this.
post #1013 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 01:40 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomase View Post
Does this happen on wifi too?

Not so far...

Quote:

post #1014 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post

And if it’s brighter, with lower contrast ratio , black levels will tend to be even higher across the board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PlanetAVS likes this.
post #1015 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 02:00 PM

The X1 Ultimate processor has Object-based Super Resolution technology.

What really is this technology?

Last edited by Dener Melo; 03-11-2019 at 04:06 PM.
post #1016 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

The canvas of a TV is black or is supposed to be. The entire image is meant to contrast against it. The better the black capability, all other things being the same, the better the picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1017 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I'm not unhappy with my 65" 900F, I want to go to 75".
Why don't you go with 75'' ZF9? It is better TV than 75'' X95G (better spec) and cheaper (in Europe)

Edited: I've just noticed that price of 75" ZF9 is crazy in US. Then the choice is obvious.

Quote:
The X1 Ultimate processor has Object-based Super Resolution technology.
I'd like to know that but none of the reviewers of the TVs (ZF9, AF9, X95G) equipped with that chip said anything about that technology and benefits of it. Info on Sony web-page is very vague.

Quote:

X95G - 4500: 1
I wouldn't worry too much about that difference. X95G is good TV. Not really better than x900f in terms of PQ but offers some improvements in other areas. If you are happy with the price than go for it. I definitely wouldn't buy smaller x95g instead of bigger x900f at similar price point as the screen size is much higher on my priority list than faster Android and two small extra speakers. Your priority list might look different.

Last edited by Tomek398; 03-11-2019 at 04:16 PM.
post #1018 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 04:05 PM

what I would like to know from the staff who used the X905F and now owns an X95G is:

What improvements has the X1 Ultimate chip brought to the PQ? Object-Basedad Does Superesolution Change Something Really?
post #1019 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
what I would like to know from the staff who used the X905F and now owns an X95G is:

What improvements has the X1 Ultimate chip brought to the PQ? Object-Basedad Does Superesolution Change Something Really?
You will just read that picture is very good.
post #1020 of 2814 Old 03-11-2019, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

I know when you setup the TV the first time it asks you about sending information to google to offer better experiences etc. I turned that stuff off when I set it up and haven't had it turn on my receiver at night that I have noticed. I am using ARC and not eARC though.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphilologos View Post
The canvas of a TV is black or is supposed to be. The entire image is meant to contrast against it. The better the black capability, all other things being the same, the better the picture.

Now i'm coming from a ****ty Sharp with CFL backlight (10 year old) but to me this TV is outstanding. I have the 55'' model and the blacks are like the thing is turned off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page