2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1655Likes

post #1261 of 4473 Old 03-18-2019, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 20
As I mentioned upthread, I'm considering jumping to OLED primarily due to off-axis viewing. Our room isn't terribly bright, so brightness is not a primary concern.

My main concerns are probably clarity and color and just a kick-ass picture. We use Dish Network (currently updating to newest Hopper w/4K). We've been using a 2012 46" Sony LCD (KDL46HX850), and we've been very happy with it.

I went to Best Buy today, where they had a X950 set up right next to an LG C8 of the same size and playing the same Direct TV feed. To my eyes, the X950 was clearer than the LG.

I presume this is the upscaling that people talk about.

I don't think the programming (a "curling" sport show) was of a quality enough to show much regarding color or contrast, but the Sony did look clearer and the skin tones were better (although who's to know whether anyone had messed with either settings...

I've been using a high end Yamaha receiver, feeding all video feeds into that and then sending that on to the TV. Perhaps I'll change that idea going forward, if people feel that the upscaling is always better performed in the TV itself.

Just having a hard time deciding between LCD or OLED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 4473 Old 03-18-2019, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Exclamation Help!!!

Good afternoon guys. I just got the 950G last Friday and have been testing it all weekend. Coming from the 900E, I am expecting the motion handling to be much better than what I am currently experiencing. The 950G is missing CineMotion "HIGH" setting and also the "Smooth" preset from the 900E and F. It has the Ultimate processor but I can not really tell. No matter what I do, the motion handling it 10x better on the 900E. The motion handling on this set is horrible. Why would Sony do such a thing? I may have to pack it back up and get the 900F. The motion handling is so horrible that I think that my set may be defective and I really hope that it is because if it is not, Sony has dropped the ball. If anyone has a 950G, could you please test the motion out? If you are coming from a 900F, please tell me if the motion handling is worse on the G. The difference should be like night and day. Every time I walk into my living room, I am reminded of the wonderful TV that I used to have and am becoming very salty. Is this possible to fix using a firmware update?
post #1263 of 4473 Old 03-18-2019, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencc3 View Post
Good afternoon guys. I just got the 950G last Friday and have been testing it all weekend. Coming from the 900E, I am expecting the motion handling to be much better than what I am currently experiencing. The 950G is missing CineMotion "HIGH" setting and also the "Smooth" preset from the 900E and F. It has the Ultimate processor but I can not really tell. No matter what I do, the motion handling it 10x better on the 900E. The motion handling on this set is horrible. Why would Sony do such a thing? I may have to pack it back up and get the 900F. The motion handling is so horrible that I think that my set may be defective and I really hope that it is because if it is not, Sony has dropped the ball. If anyone has a 950G, could you please test the motion out? If you are coming from a 900F, please tell me if the motion handling is worse on the G. The difference should be like night and day. Every time I walk into my living room, I am reminded of the wonderful TV that I used to have and am becoming very salty. Is this possible to fix using a firmware update?
What type of content are you watching? TV channels?

I had a x900f and now have x950g. Motion handling looks identical to me (very smooth). But I'm only watching streaming content, playing games, physical disc movies. I don't watch TV channels on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1264 of 4473 Old 03-18-2019, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyvn View Post
As I mentioned upthread, I'm considering jumping to OLED primarily due to off-axis viewing. Our room isn't terribly bright, so brightness is not a primary concern.

My main concerns are probably clarity and color and just a kick-ass picture. We use Dish Network (currently updating to newest Hopper w/4K). We've been using a 2012 46" Sony LCD (KDL46HX850), and we've been very happy with it.

I went to Best Buy today, where they had a X950 set up right next to an LG C8 of the same size and playing the same Direct TV feed. To my eyes, the X950 was clearer than the LG.

I presume this is the upscaling that people talk about.

I don't think the programming (a "curling" sport show) was of a quality enough to show much regarding color or contrast, but the Sony did look clearer and the skin tones were better (although who's to know whether anyone had messed with either settings...

I've been using a high end Yamaha receiver, feeding all video feeds into that and then sending that on to the TV. Perhaps I'll change that idea going forward, if people feel that the upscaling is always better performed in the TV itself.

Just having a hard time deciding between LCD or OLED.
My understanding is that the room you will use this TV is not very bright, correct? If yes, then OLED would be the better choice. LG C8 picture quality is amazing, had the highest score on rtings for 2018. But, keep in mind if your primary use is watching DISH channels, Sony's processor is better at upscaling. So Sony may look slightly better purely just for DISH use. Movies, games, everything else OLED is better.
post #1265 of 4473 Old 03-18-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluv4k View Post
What type of content are you watching? TV channels?

I had a x900f and now have x950g. Motion handling looks identical to me (very smooth). But I'm only watching streaming content, playing games, physical disc movies. I don't watch TV channels on it.
I game a lot and this TV is wonderful for gaming. It is better than 900E for gaming. For content, I started with netflix then moved on to my PC which has high quality video files. I am running a RTX 2080 and in order to have a semi (Notice I said semi) smooth experience, I have to manually set my refresh rate to 23/24Hz. This still does nothing to provide 900E-like performance. The problem is that I still have both TVs and can watch the same thing on Netflix while side by side comparing. The 900E kills this 950G in terms of motion clearness and smoothness.
post #1266 of 4473 Old 03-18-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluv4k View Post
My understanding is that the room you will use this TV is not very bright, correct? If yes, then OLED would be the better choice. LG C8 picture quality is amazing, had the highest score on rtings for 2018. But, keep in mind if your primary use is watching DISH channels, Sony's processor is better at upscaling. So Sony may look slightly better purely just for DISH use. Movies, games, everything else OLED is better.
Yes, the room we will be using this in is NOT very bright. It faces north and therefore gets no direct sunlight. I do agree that the C8 seems to get "best TV" awards from all sorts of varied sources. Haha, it can't be *that* bad!

Last edited by johnnyvn; 03-18-2019 at 05:00 PM.
post #1267 of 4473 Old 03-18-2019, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7027 Post(s)
Liked: 7054
post #1268 of 4473 Old 03-18-2019, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post
The French online site Les Numeriques has just published its test report on the European version Sony 75XG9505 and the results are pretty much similar to other test reports on the model.
Native contrast ratio : 3.120:1
FALD contrast ratio : 4.961:1
minimum black level : 0.03 cd/m2.
Peak brightness : 1.110 cd/m2 (no size given for which test window).
Clearly visible blooming around light objects on a dark background due to small number of dimming zones (60).
No banding noticed.
Check the date . This was published almost a month ago, probably the first non-Chinese review ...
So there were three reviews out already of the X950G with X-Wide Angle before this was posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57753800
I believe JoshuaGoard was only referencing the Z9F's contrast ratio as a benchmark to the Xwide angle TV sizes for the 950G, the latter of which there are no professional reviews published yet. Which makes his comments on topic.
The positive you could take away from these three reviews is that the contrast numbers are better than they were on the Z9F [although LesNumeriques had better native contrast numbers for the Z9F iirc contrary to the rest of the reviews]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoxXx View Post
Sony talks about the X1 Ultimate, which says it's twice as powerful as the X1 Extreme
https://ibb.co/bUTQBm

In fact, things are different ...
See the GPU in the new processor 5597

5596 - ARM Mali-T860 MP2 GPU
https://www.mediatek.com/products/digitalTv/mt5596

5597 - ARM Mali-450 MP4 graphics card
https://www.mediatek.com/products/digitalTv/mt5597

X1 is not the Mediatek GPU (the X850G will also have this chip and it doesn't even have the X1 Extreme) and I have seen it mentioned that the Mali 450 is worse than the T860. Doesn't matter anyway since Sony has skipped the 5597; the GPU in the X950G is a Mali G71 (SoC = MT5598)
pikkari+ likes this.

Last edited by mithras1; 03-18-2019 at 05:03 PM.
post #1269 of 4473 Old 03-18-2019, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyvn View Post

I was looking at doing that as I just got this TV, but the '4k hopper' doesn't offer any 4k channels. Only 4k streaming with netflix etc (which the built in apps on the TV work very well for that).
post #1270 of 4473 Old 03-18-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3plicant View Post
I was looking at doing that as I just got this TV, but the '4k hopper' doesn't offer any 4k channels. Only 4k streaming with netflix etc (which the built in apps on the TV work very well for that).
R3P, good point, good point. Thank you for that. I didn't know that...
post #1271 of 4473 Old 03-18-2019, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3plicant View Post
Not exactly true. I was watching 4K NCAA basketball a few days ago on my Hopper. The Olympics were also on Dish in 4k
post #1272 of 4473 Old 03-19-2019, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
The point is that if the TV is a FALD TV, the contrast ratio with FALD in use is important. Including the inherent effect of the TV's native contrast. You seem to be implying that only native contrast matters, and local dimming is irrelevant since it is dependent on the content. If I've misunderstood your argument, feel free to clarify
You misunderstood my argument completely. What I said is that native contrast, in particular black levels, is a foundation for a good performance of FALD TV. You can't separate one from another. The reason is simple. If you have a bright and dark objects within the single zone that zone can NOT be turned off and only native contrast affects how well TV can show those objects without blooming. In addition you have a problem with correct color representation if those objects have some color in the case of poor native contrast/black levels

Local dimming is very important technique which can improve 'real' contrast of the image. However many times it can NOT do that because of the type of the image and then only native contrast matters. That is why in 2019 when we have Ultimate processor, fantastic algorithms etc. people still complain about blooming on X95G and ZF9. It is there because native contrast of modern LCD panels has (almost) reached its limits and manufacturers don't want to increase number of zones in order to reduce total cost of TVs

Last edited by Tomek398; 03-19-2019 at 08:26 AM.
post #1273 of 4473 Old 03-19-2019, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
For the price of a 75 950G or Z9F, I'd look at the 85" 900F instead. If you have the room for a 85, of course.
I do have room for the 85", so now I'm weighing that option as well.
post #1274 of 4473 Old 03-19-2019, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
That is why in 2019 when we Ultimate processor, fantastic algorithms etc. people still complain about blooming on X95G
It's because X95G has 60 zones. It's a joke. You can't process image precisely. LG had good FALD TVs some time ago with IPS panel aboard and real good blacks. Algorithm and number of dimming zones are very important.

Philips PUS8102 is chinese TV that was sold for 1000 euro. It perfomed near OLED level with only 128 local dimming zones.
Tomek398 likes this.
post #1275 of 4473 Old 03-19-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimon.Zorg View Post
It's because X95G has 60 zones.
That is what I said in next sentence I mean they reduce their costs by limiting number of zones. I seriously considered getting TV from 2016 with 512 zones (Panasonic DX900)
Iluv4k likes this.
post #1276 of 4473 Old 03-19-2019, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc151rules View Post
I do have room for the 85", so now I'm weighing that option as well.
Now that I've looked at the 85, and for my use as solely watching movies & streaming content, the 85X900F looks very enticing vs waiting for the 85X950G. Since I have a sound system, I don't see the benefit of eARC for audio support. I'll do some more research.....any input/thoughts?

A little more about the viewing environment:
Basement, No natural light.
Large room, currently have our seats ~12' back from TV, but could move in either direction.
Primary use - Movies & Streaming - No video games

Thanks!
post #1277 of 4473 Old 03-19-2019, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Another analysis pointing to the X950G is a successor to the X90F.

Positives
• Sturdy design
• Exceptional color rendering for normal and HDR content
• Amazingly good handling, especially for gaming
• Very robust contrast ratios and black levels
• Voice control features and very smart TV functionality

Negatives
• Local dimming has a few minor issues
• VA display technology deteriorates picture performance at sharp angles
• No HDR10 +

Highlights

"Overall, this particular model is an excellent 4K HDR TV and works exceptionally well on most of the top quality TV performance metrics. These include motion picture manipulation, HDR delivery (especially for HDR color), screen and TV capability to render deep levels of black and high contrast.All of these things, the X950G stands out and its motion handling is particularly surprising.We are impressed "

"Where the X950G stands out, particularly, is its color performance, maximum brightness and motion-handling specs. Since all three are so important for rendering high-performance images, they combine to make it a television truly strong for just about anything you want to cast "

"the X950G never comes near dark, no matter how you measure the brightness of the screen. Even when tested in SDR mode with 100% of the screen being adjusted for sustained brightness, the X950G does not provide less than 700 nits. Many 4K HDR TVs can not even reach 700 nits, let alone have that brightness level below their weakest peak performance."

In summary, the biggest highlight for this site (which adds the same opinion of 2 Chinese reviews, 1 French and 1 German that we post here) is:

- Black level
- Brightness and color accuracy
- Moving images.

http://4k.com/tv/sony-2019-x950g-4k-...0g-xbr85x950g/

Last edited by Dener Melo; 03-19-2019 at 02:38 PM.
post #1278 of 4473 Old 03-19-2019, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dener Melo View Post
Another analysis pointing to the X950G is a successor to the X90F.

And yet again, a review that states "all sizes should perform similarly" even though the 75" and 85" have an X-Wide layer. I couldn't find it stated, but I'm rather certain they had a 55" or 65" set since they talk about how quickly the picture deteriorates at an angle. We need some larger set reviews.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #1279 of 4473 Old 03-19-2019, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
And yet again, a review that states "all sizes should perform similarly" even though the 75" and 85" have an X-Wide layer. I couldn't find it stated, but I'm rather certain they had a 55" or 65" set since they talk about how quickly the picture deteriorates at an angle. We need some larger set reviews.
yes, they reviewed smaller 55 "and 65" models.

These are my interests so I usually care a bit more with reviews regarding these sizes.

As soon as I get new reviews (and bigger sizes with X-Wide) I share because I know it may interest others

PS: It is interesting to see in the analysis the staff talk that the contrast has dropped (not significantly but dropped) but the black level and black uniformity are better compared to the X90F
That's really good. Cheering for the 75 and 85 models would not be much different than that for our friends to have the same happiness as when switching TV.
post #1280 of 4473 Old 03-19-2019, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Says halfway down in the 'key specs' they had the 55" ...

There are already three reviews for the 75" as well
post #1281 of 4473 Old 03-19-2019, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithras1 View Post
Says halfway down in the 'key specs' they had the 55" ...

There are already three reviews for the 75" as well
I didn't see that buried in there. Thanks.

I still dislike the "we expect all sizes to perform similarly" comments that used to generally hold true.

I guess I have missed some, because I haven't seen the 75" reviews aside from the early 'reviews' from the shows. I will look back through the thread for links, unless you mean the ones that required translation. Don't care much for those because I haven't followed those groups for comparison to previous reviews.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro

Last edited by Coercion Shaman; 03-19-2019 at 12:50 PM.
post #1282 of 4473 Old 03-19-2019, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I didn't see that buried in there. Thanks.

I still dislike the "we expect all sizes to perform similarly" comments that used to generally hold true.

I guess I have missed some, because I haven't seen the 75" reviews aside from the early 'reviews' from the shows. I will look back through the thread for links, unless you mean the ones that required translation. Don't care much for those because I haven't followed those groups for comparison to previous reviews.
One of those three (Flatpanels) is in English (the other Polish, by far the most thorough [written] review, and French). Between the three they pretty much cover everything and I don't see what yet another review could add. Pretty sure the two English/UK reviews will be a sub 75" so that doesn't leave many quality reviews to come (CNET maybe and ...? AVS )

Last edited by mithras1; 03-19-2019 at 01:47 PM.
post #1283 of 4473 Old 03-19-2019, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpfarms View Post
Am I the only one who wants the OLED line but am scared of burn in?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
ABL brightness shift is a huge deal breaker for me!
post #1284 of 4473 Old 03-19-2019, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomek398 View Post
That is what I said in next sentence I mean they reduce their costs by limiting number of zones. I seriously considered getting TV from 2016 with 512 zones (Panasonic DX900)

Yeah unfortunately the market has spoken. And we find once again most consumers aren’t willing to pay for that extra quality/performance.To name a few Pioneer, Sharp(elite), Sony with their Z9D all found out the profit margins just wasn’t there. We are lucky when they step up once in a while to get their feet wet at the extreme high-end.
Tomek398 likes this.
post #1285 of 4473 Old 03-19-2019, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have had my 75 950G for almost a week in a half now. I have it in my bedroom performance with full lights out is very good.
There is some blooming but to me its not distracting at all. The local diming is very good on this set. I have it on medium and its nice there.

I also like the pop this set has I turned down the back light to about 18 and in my room its still very bright even at that setting.

The 85 900F I have in Family room is still a wonderful set but I believe the 950G is a tad bit sharper and there is more pop to the image, also the speed of this set is really nice when navigating in menus and apps.

I really think your getting 90% of the Z9F for 2k less Now the Z9F is a awesome set but not 2k worth in my eyes.

TC
post #1286 of 4473 Old 03-19-2019, 07:06 PM

Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expono#1 View Post
I have had my 75 950G for almost a week in a half now. I have it in my bedroom performance with full lights out is very good.
There is some blooming but to me its not distracting at all. The local diming is very good on this set. I have it on medium and its nice there.

I also like the pop this set has I turned down the back light to about 18 and in my room its still very bright even at that setting.

TC
Are you looking for a son?

I wish I was ballin and could throw a brand new 75" TV in my bedroom.
post #1287 of 4473 Old 03-20-2019, 03:45 AM

Quote:
I believe the 950G is a tad bit sharper and there is more pop to the image
Those are things that you can change on both TVs in less than 10s maybe 20s....
post #1288 of 4473 Old 03-20-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:

The 85 900F I have in Family room is still a wonderful set but I believe the 950G is a tad bit sharper and there is more pop to the image, also the speed of this set is really nice when navigating in menus and apps.

I really think your getting 90% of the Z9F for 2k less Now the Z9F is a awesome set but not 2k worth in my eyes.

TC
I have had my set since Friday and still have my 900e. I know not many people have this tv yet however, I feel like the 950g has more blur during fast motion and panning than my 900e does. Can you compare your motion handling experience on the 950g and 900f? There is an episode of love death and robots(netflix) that I have compared on both sets. It appears that the 900e has a clearer image of fast moving objects during motion than the 950g does. It’s so noticeable that even my wife can see the difference. Since you still have your 900f, could you check into this?
post #1289 of 4473 Old 03-20-2019, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majcric View Post
Yeah unfortunately the market has spoken. And we find once again most consumers aren’t willing to pay for that extra quality/performance.To name a few Pioneer, Sharp(elite), Sony with their Z9D all found out the profit margins just wasn’t there. We are lucky when they step up once in a while to get their feet wet at the extreme high-end.

From what I've read, the Z9F is far less successful commercially than the Z9D, so the reduced zone count approach did not work in that case.
post #1290 of 4473 Old 03-20-2019, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
From what I've read, the Z9F is far less successful commercially than the Z9D, so the reduced zone count approach did not work in that case.
The D has been out for 2 years while the F has been out for a few months, so that might impact number of sales.

Secondly, many people on this forum have trashed the F without having ever owned one. I own one and it's the best LCD available (blows away the Samsung Q9fn and Sony 900F). Picture is fabulous with none of the blooming issues a few have reported. Best detail, motion and color. Bunch of wannabe calibrators have trashed a great set because that's what people do here

Last edited by agincourt; 03-20-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page