2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 47 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1222Likes

post #1381 of 3325 Old 03-25-2019, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Looking through this long thread, I see that eARC is not really talked about so I'm probably in the minority that is quite disappointed that DTS is not supported over ARC any longer. I have the 900E and am positive that I was able to pass through DTS before the myriad of updates and now it does not.

I tried to hold off purchasing the 900E because I desparately wanted this feature and now that this model checks off so many other boxes.......

I use a Shield now, but really wanted to utilize the TV's native apps and eliminate some "clutter."

Really sucks that every other audio format under the sun is supported but that one.

Kev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 3325 Old 03-25-2019, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencc3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyrabbit21 View Post
So what exactly is the difference between Cinemotion High and Cinemotion Auto?

And any recommendations on which Motionflow setting: Custom (and subsequent smoothness/clearness values), Smooth or Off is the closest to duplicating what the X900F got from “True Cinema?” (Matching the frame rate of the content).
I will answer this based off experience. So, I am kinda liking this set better than the 900E as of now. MotionFlow controls the smoothness and clearness of videos. However, clearness will dim and also add flicker to the picture, a tad bit to a whole lot depending on how high you set it to. I would not go past clearness 1, IMO. Since this does add flicker, it will affect the outcome of how smooth you want your movie experience to be. I would try to find the perfect combination of the two while watching several movies. I was watching Battle Los Angeles last night to test because this movie has serious camera movement. I had to turn smoothness down from 3 because it was making me dizzy AF. CineMotion works totally different on the x950g than it does on the 900E. I am saying this because, I watch my movies on a home theater PC using Media Player Classic Home Cinema (MPC-HC), MadVr, LAV Filters, and ReClock. With this being said, my video is 100% synced to whatever my refresh rate is set to. So, on the 900E at 60Hz and 24Hz, I was able to set MotionFlow to "Smooth" and CineMotion to "HIGH" for all content. Panning and overall video movement was buttery smooth. On the [email protected], I am seeing major stuttering if I leave CineMotion set to "Auto". Once I turn it off, the movies are 100% smooth. Which makes me believe that CineMotion should only be used on 24Hz viewing. So, it really depends on your video source. I am uncertain of which framerate is being used by the native video apps like Netflix and Hulu. But for now, I am rocking MotionFlow Custom: Smoothness 2, Clearness Min, and Cinemotion OFF. However, it appears that the Netflix native app does not stutter while CineMotion is set to auto. I will give you one mor tip for your black level. Since this TV has lower contrast rate than the 2 previous sets, the picture is overall washed up looking. This is why I feel that people are complaining about the viewing angle issue. The vewing angle is better on this set than the 900E. To combat the lower contrast rate, decrease the black level setting by 2-3. This has been tested to not crush the blacks. I tried decreasing the gamma but got better results decreasing the black level setting. I am also running color temp warm but -5 on the red so that my whites are white, not red tinted white.
RTings says:

“The Sony X950G is able to remove judder from all sources, but some additional settings are required for some content. For a native 24p signal, like from a Blu-ray player, no additional motion settings are required. To remove judder from external 60p/60i sources, like a cable box, or for the native apps, set motionflow to 'Custom,' set both the smoothness and clearness sliders to 'Min,' and set CineMotion to 'Auto.'”

Which is contradictory to what you’re saying no?

Also for the contrast, what made you decide to adjust the black level opposed to just increasing the contrast from 90 to 95 or turning the advanced contrast enhancer to low or medium?

Last edited by Sillyrabbit21; 03-25-2019 at 11:55 AM.
post #1383 of 3325 Old 03-25-2019, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Rtings revies on YouTube live now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1384 of 3325 Old 03-25-2019, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 1
rtings lists this as supporting [email protected] with 4:4:4, and [email protected], but not [email protected] with 4:4:4. Any chance of it working? I also question why we still don't get HDMI 2.1 support this year, but at the same time I don't really see myself needing it.
post #1385 of 3325 Old 03-25-2019, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Anyone having issues with Prime video and adjusting the pic settings?

Everytime I watch something from the internal prime video, and I adjust any picture settings, my video sync is out of whack. Sometimes the video will stop/freeze.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #1386 of 3325 Old 03-25-2019, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
RTings says:

“The Sony X950G is able to remove judder from all sources, but some additional settings are required for some content. For a native 24p signal, like from a Blu-ray player, no additional motion settings are required. To remove judder from external 60p/60i sources, like a cable box, or for the native apps, set motionflow to 'Custom,' set both the smoothness and clearness sliders to 'Min,' and set CineMotion to 'Auto.'”

Also for the contrast, what made you decide to adjust the black level opposed to just increasing the contrast from 90 to 95 or turning the advanced contrast enhancer to low or medium?
Not really contradiction. I stated that native apps behaved well using Cinemotion. However, my HTPC using highspeed HDMI and watching fullscreen exclusive video @60Hz (same exact setup as 900E), stutters like crazy with CineMotion set to auto. It stutters so bad that the smoothness setting does not help at all. Its okay, as long as Cinemotion is off, I get smooth playback. I also attached a pic which shows good vs bad contrast ratio. So, if you look at the pic and assume that both the 900E and 950G were both set at the default "Black Level" setting (50), the 900E would be resembled by the pic on the left. The 950G resembles the pic on the right. This is the best way I can describe it. With the 950G having not as good contrast ratio, it affects the black level just like you see on the pic. Changing the contrast setting will not help this problem. This would be something that needs to be fixed by either black level and gamma. Leaving the gamma and black level at default on the 950G shows way more dark scene artifacts then the 900E. When I do a black crush test, I can bring the 950G down a lot farther the 900E, before I start seeing any black crush.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Good_VS_Bad_Contrast.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	472.1 KB
ID:	2544340  
post #1387 of 3325 Old 03-25-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishAnarchist View Post
rtings lists this as supporting [email protected] with 4:4:4, and [email protected], but not [email protected] with 4:4:4. Any chance of it working? I also question why we still don't get HDMI 2.1 support this year, but at the same time I don't really see myself needing it.
I think you will only be able to get RGB @1080 @120Hz. YCBr is not even an option at that setting on PC.
post #1388 of 3325 Old 03-25-2019, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I think you will only be able to get RGB @1080 @120Hz. YCBr is not even an option at that setting on PC.
That strikes me as strange.
post #1389 of 3325 Old 03-25-2019, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Quote:
RTings says:

Not really contradiction. I stated that native apps behaved well using Cinemotion. However, my HTPC using highspeed HDMI and watching fullscreen exclusive video @60Hz (same exact setup as 900E), stutters like crazy with CineMotion set to auto. It stutters so bad that the smoothness setting does not help at all. Its okay, as long as Cinemotion is off, I get smooth playback. I also attached a pic which shows good vs bad contrast ratio. So, if you look at the pic and assume that both the 900E and 950G were both set at the default "Black Level" setting (50), the 900E would be resembled by the pic on the left. The 950G resembles the pic on the right. This is the best way I can describe it. With the 950G having not as good contrast ratio, it affects the black level just like you see on the pic. Changing the contrast setting will not help this problem. This would be something that needs to be fixed by either black level and gamma. Leaving the gamma and black level at default on the 950G shows way more dark scene artifacts then the 900E. When I do a black crush test, I can bring the 950G down a lot farther the 900E, before I start seeing any black crush.
Check wether your HDMI range is set to Full or Limited on both the TV and PC/Source. As black levels below 50 should imediatelly crush a proper test pattern.

Sony ZF9 75" (Owned: Sony KDL-W55905A, Samsung Q9FN 65" & Q900 75")
post #1390 of 3325 Old 03-25-2019, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hello everyone, new member to AVS Forum. First of all, I just want to say that everyone's posts are very helpful and informative as this is a new experience for me and would like to reach out to the community for some feedback. I currently own a 2008 Sony KDL46Z4100B LCD tv, not an LED tv, a regular LCD that has served me well, however as of late I found two dead subpixels in my screen and noticed some slight image retention from watching 4:3 content, but nothing that I can't live with. I'm contemplating taking the first step into 4K and have my eye on the Sony X950G, I've only viewed 2 panels at different stores, one of them had some damage causing light bleed, while the other had breathtaking image quality, at least in my opinion. I have read the reviews of Rtings, **************, and others on this forum and the opinions seem to be of a mixed variety with regards to the set, specifically regarding contrast ratio, light blooming, motion handling and so on. I'm looking for a good tv for movies, video games, and sports. I'd be using it in a semi dark to dark room and for what its worth the black colors on my existing Sony look pretty dark to me. I understand that the X900F has a higher native contrast ratio than the X950G, however the 950G sports the X1 Ultimate processor with lower input lag for gaming which to me would be a factor. I would not go with a brand other than Sony, I attempted to go 4K in the past with a Samsung and it was a very negative experience. One of the concerns that I have is coming from an older technology is the problems that I am hearing with newer technology such as light bleeding, blooming, haloing, and so fourth. With all that being said, should I let those factors deter me from purchasing a new TV and if not, should that tv be the new X950G or should I wait and see what Sony rolls out next year. Once again, thank you all for your time and any feedback would be helpful.
post #1391 of 3325 Old 03-26-2019, 12:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 122
post #1392 of 3325 Old 03-26-2019, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
X95G is good TV. If input lag at 1080/60 is important for you get X95G. Otherwise X900F will be good option. If price difference between x900f and x95g is small then go for x95g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberguy12 View Post
One of the concerns that I have is coming from an older technology is the problems that I am hearing with newer technology such as light bleeding, blooming, haloing, and so fourth. With all that being said, should I let those factors deter me from purchasing a new TV and if not, should that tv be the new X950G or should I wait and see what Sony rolls out next year.
No need to be concerned. Those 'problems' are not new. They are just more pronounced as modern TV are quite bright. If you mainly watch SDR content then don't worry. PQ will be very good. You can experience some blooming in HDR but I wouldn't worry about is too much unless you watch in completely dark room.

Keep in mind that on Sony TV you can turn off local dimming which means you won't see any blooming however dark levels will be much worse. I wouldn't do that on FALD TV but it's good that such an option is available.
post #1393 of 3325 Old 03-26-2019, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBenji View Post
Rtings seem to indicate that this TV doesn’t deliver that much of a better picture than the X900F. considering there is £1000 price difference that is significant. Of course if you need 4 HDR capable HDMI ports then the X900F is not an option.
Cuthalu likes this.
post #1394 of 3325 Old 03-26-2019, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundizer17 View Post
Of course if you need 4 HDR capable HDMI ports then the X900F is not an option.
X900f is still a quite good option if you have AV receiver with 4 full HDMI inputs or even simple HDMI switch:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Awakelion-P.../dp/B06WV5YJ6H
post #1395 of 3325 Old 03-26-2019, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomek398 View Post
X900f is still a quite good option if you have AV receiver with 4 full HDMI inputs or even simple HDMI switch:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Awakelion-P.../dp/B06WV5YJ6H
I mostly watch in a dark room and so don’t need the extra brightness of the X950G, plus will only use 1 device connected via HDMI which is AppleTV4K.
post #1396 of 3325 Old 03-26-2019, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 2122
OT posts removed. Stick to technical discussions.
Tomek398 likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #1397 of 3325 Old 03-26-2019, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundizer17 View Post
I mostly watch in a dark room and so don’t need the extra brightness of the X950G, plus will only use 1 device connected via HDMI which is AppleTV4K.
Just check if you are happy with Android TV on X900F as it is slower than on X95G.
post #1398 of 3325 Old 03-26-2019, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hi all. Could someone check out this youtube video:
on their x950g/x900f and comment on how bad the blooming is compared to my monitor (video linked below, camera does not exaggerate things)? I spent nearly $3000 on this ips fald monitor and this video really brings out the worst of it:

https://twitter.com/4everBeAKid/stat...82879404863488
post #1399 of 3325 Old 03-26-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArt View Post
Quote:
Quote:
RTings says:

Check wether your HDMI range is set to Full or Limited on both the TV and PC/Source. As black levels below 50 should imediatelly crush a proper test pattern.
This is true on the 900E but not the 950G. By default, the 950 shows too much black detail in dark scenes which causes artifacts. The 900e was just more black.
post #1400 of 3325 Old 03-26-2019, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc Vu View Post
Hi all. Could someone check out this youtube video: https://youtu.be/E3Bf3mq1Or8 on their x950g/x900f and comment on how bad the blooming is compared to my monitor (video linked below, camera does not exaggerate things)? I spent nearly $3000 on this ips fald monitor and this video really brings out the worst of it:

https://twitter.com/4everBeAKid/stat...82879404863488
Just played...

950g looks great.. very little blooming if at all. Really have to look for it to see any blooming.

Your monitor looks horrendous comparatively.

Last edited by toy4x; 03-26-2019 at 04:49 PM.
post #1401 of 3325 Old 03-26-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4x View Post
Just played...

950g looks great.. very little blooming if at all. Really have to look for it to see any blooming.

Did you play it with HDR on?

Do you have the 55-65"?

On my ZF9 75" I get obvious blooming in HDR but none in SDR and then only I turn Light Sensor Off and put brightness to Max and enable X-DR to Medium or High. Then I would say the monitor still looks worse.
post #1402 of 3325 Old 03-26-2019, 06:46 PM

Liked: 19
Anyone had the chance to compare the 75 inch X900F and X950G?

I was really fancying the 85 inch X950G after I read the AVSForum review of the 85X900F but was disappointed to read about the X-Wide angle contrast issues.

So i would like to know how the new models with X-Wide angle compare to the similarly sized X900F.
post #1403 of 3325 Old 03-26-2019, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppp1 View Post

I was really fancying the 85 inch X950G after I read the AVSForum review of the 85X900F but was disappointed to read about the X-Wide angle contrast issues.

So i would like to know how the new models with X-Wide angle compare to the similarly sized X900F.
Dude,
Shhhhhhhhhhh.
Come around the corner and away from the light, that's it...into the alleyway.
Ok, it is safe here.
Shhhhhhhhhhh.
You aren't supposed to talk about anything but the 950 understand?
We are in danger, in fact I feel so vulnerable just mentioning this to you.
Ok.
You walk that way, I'll head the other.

Shhhhhhhhhh.
post #1404 of 3325 Old 03-26-2019, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberguy12 View Post
Hello everyone, new member to AVS Forum. First of all, I just want to say that everyone's posts are very helpful and informative as this is a new experience for me and would like to reach out to the community for some feedback. I currently own a 2008 Sony KDL46Z4100B LCD tv, not an LED tv, a regular LCD that has served me well, however as of late I found two dead subpixels in my screen and noticed some slight image retention from watching 4:3 content, but nothing that I can't live with. I'm contemplating taking the first step into 4K and have my eye on the Sony X950G, I've only viewed 2 panels at different stores, one of them had some damage causing light bleed, while the other had breathtaking image quality, at least in my opinion. I have read the reviews of Rtings, **************, and others on this forum and the opinions seem to be of a mixed variety with regards to the set, specifically regarding contrast ratio, light blooming, motion handling and so on. I'm looking for a good tv for movies, video games, and sports. I'd be using it in a semi dark to dark room and for what its worth the black colors on my existing Sony look pretty dark to me. I understand that the X900F has a higher native contrast ratio than the X950G, however the 950G sports the X1 Ultimate processor with lower input lag for gaming which to me would be a factor. I would not go with a brand other than Sony, I attempted to go 4K in the past with a Samsung and it was a very negative experience. One of the concerns that I have is coming from an older technology is the problems that I am hearing with newer technology such as light bleeding, blooming, haloing, and so fourth. With all that being said, should I let those factors deter me from purchasing a new TV and if not, should that tv be the new X950G or should I wait and see what Sony rolls out next year. Once again, thank you all for your time and any feedback would be helpful.
I'm in the exact same position as you are!

Got a 13 year old Sony TV, LCD, not LED I think, which has a dynamic contrast of 10.000:1, which I can't believe it's almost twice of the new Sony TVs.

How is this even possible?

Not only that, but I've seen the 900F on stores and I hate the colors. They feel dull to me. The black bars on my TV also are perfect. No blooming whatsoever.

How is it possible that 13 years after TVs are worst? Less colors and blooming? It is making it VERY VERY difficult for me to buy a new TV.

However, the 950G has almost everything I want. I need to see for myself is the blooming is so bad and will annoy me. I like to watch movies at night in the dark.

But then again, my TV is flawless, but I want a bigger screen and more HDMI ports. I've tried HDMI switches and they're terrible. They don't work.

Enviado desde mi EML-L09 mediante Tapatalk
post #1405 of 3325 Old 03-26-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4x View Post
Just played...

Did you play it with HDR on?

Do you have the 55-65"?

On my ZF9 75" I get obvious blooming in HDR but none in SDR and then only I turn Light Sensor Off and put brightness to Max and enable X-DR to Medium or High. Then I would say the monitor still looks worse.
Do u mind capturing the blooming on video or picture? I want to see how much better it is on the z9f. On my monitor it completely ruins the scene. And this monitor has 384 dimming zones.
post #1406 of 3325 Old 03-26-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Do u mind capturing the blooming on video or picture? I want to see how much better it is on the z9f. On my monitor it completely ruins the scene. And this monitor has 384 dimming zones.
Okay so here's my 75" ZF9 shot with my iPhone X. As this TV has the X-Wide filter it's prone to blooming and elevated blacks when an dark and intensely bright area share the same backlight zone. This really is worst case scenario/torture test for blooming and sure it's visible but it's only around 20-40% as pronounced with my own eyes as the camera exacerbate the blooming.

Sensamix likes this.
post #1407 of 3325 Old 03-27-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Okay so here's my 75" ZF9 shot with my iPhone X. As this TV has the X-Wide filter it's prone to blooming and elevated blacks when an dark and intensely bright area share the same backlight zone. This really is worst case scenario/torture test for blooming and sure it's visible but it's only around 20-40% as pronounced with my own eyes as the camera exacerbate the blooming.

Thanks. I can see the blooming, but yeah it looks not as bad as my monitor. Probably the z9f has better local dimming algorithm and the native contrast is not as low as my ips monitor.
post #1408 of 3325 Old 03-27-2019, 12:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6850 Post(s)
Liked: 6853
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppp1 View Post

That would be a great head to head competition....
post #1409 of 3325 Old 03-27-2019, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensamix View Post
I'm in the exact same position as you are!

Got a 13 year old Sony TV, LCD, not LED I think, which has a dynamic contrast of 10.000:1, which I can't believe it's almost twice of the new Sony TVs.

How is this even possible?
You should ignore 'dynamic contrast' values. Comparing 'dynamic contrast' with native contrast is a huge mistake.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...-more-screens/

Quote:
Not only that, but I've seen the 900F on stores and I hate the colors. They feel dull to me.
X900F offers very good colors. They can be over-saturated if you want (vivid mode) or very 'natural' . I like colors on X900F much more than on Samsung.

Quote:
How is it possible that 13 years after TVs are worst? Less colors and blooming? It is making it VERY VERY difficult for me to buy a new TV.
Generally speaking modern TVs are NOT worse than older ones. They can show much more colors. They are also much more brighter which is causing some problems such as blooming. New TVs need to be brighter in order to show HDR effects.

Screen of the LCD TV is a variable optical filter. Your sun glasses are also optical filters. Their goal is to reduce intensity of light passing through. Unfortunately modern LCD technology doesn't allow to block light completely. Some light is always passing through which means that if there is more light coming in then there is more light coming out and this is a source of the problem with blooming on modern TVs.

Quote:
I like to watch movies at night in the dark.
Buy OLED then. No blooming at all.
JoelArt, Lyner and Sensamix like this.

Last edited by Tomek398; 03-27-2019 at 05:52 AM.
post #1410 of 3325 Old 03-27-2019, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomek398 View Post
New TVs need to be brighter in order to show HDR effects.
It has little sense without sophisticated full array local dimming.
Sensamix likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page