2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 48 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1231Likes

post #1411 of 3370 Old 03-27-2019, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Owners of an X950G

When activating vivid mode, can these settings be adjusted or turned off for adjustment?

1- Black ajust
2 - Adv. Contrast enhancer
3 - Auto Local Dimming
4 - Xtended Dinamic Range Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 3370 Old 03-27-2019, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimon.Zorg View Post
It has little sense without sophisticated full array local dimming.
Local dimming is a (partial) solution to the problem of poor black levels/low native contrast. You don't really need it to show very bright objects. You can have very bright HDR screen without local dimming however black won't be truly black on it. Colors will also suffer here.

Section WHY LOCAL DIMMING EXISTS: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/pict.../local-dimming

Last edited by Tomek398; 03-27-2019 at 05:38 AM.
post #1413 of 3370 Old 03-27-2019, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dener Melo View Post
Owners of an X950G

When activating vivid mode, can these settings be adjusted or turned off for adjustment?

1- Black ajust
3 - Auto Local Dimming
YES, as far as know. I'll check it later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1414 of 3370 Old 03-27-2019, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
You don't really need it to show very bright objects. You can have very bright HDR screen without local dimming however black won't be truly black on it. Colors will also suffer here.
I mean HDR is high dynamic range. You won't get it without really deep blacks. High brighness will just wash out picture and there will be no real depth.
post #1415 of 3370 Old 03-27-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimon.Zorg View Post
I mean HDR is high dynamic range. You won't get it without really deep blacks. High brighness will just wash out picture and there will be no real depth.
I know what you mean but technically speaking you can get high dynamic range image (10bit) even without really deep blacks. Vincent talks about it in the review of ZF9. Of course it is nothing good as you want your dynamic range to start from pure black, not grey. This is where local dimming tries to improve blacks.

post #1416 of 3370 Old 03-27-2019, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomek398 View Post
You should ignore 'dynamic contrast' values. Comparing 'dynamic contrast' with native contrast is a huge mistake.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...-more-screens/

X900F offers very good colors. They can be over-saturated if you want (vivid mode) or very 'natural' . I like colors on X900F much more than on Samsung.

Generally speaking modern TVs are NOT worse than older ones. They can show much more colors. They are also much more brighter which is causing some problems such as blooming. New TVs need to be brighter in order to show HDR effects.

Screen of the LCD TV is a variable optical filter. Your sun glasses are also optical filters. Their goal is to reduce intensity of light passing through. Unfortunately modern LCD technology doesn't allow to block light completely. Some light is always passing through which means that if there is more light coming in then there is more light coming out and this is a source of the problem with blooming on modern TVs.

Buy OLED then. No blooming at all.
Can't buy OLED because of burn-in. Completely out of the equation.

Could you post some pictures of movies in vivid mode to see the saturation of colors?

Enviado desde mi EML-L09 mediante Tapatalk
Cuthalu likes this.
post #1417 of 3370 Old 03-27-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dener Melo View Post
Owners of an X950G

1- Black ajust

3 - Auto Local Dimming

If anyone can post some pictures of movies in vivid mode it would be great to see the saturation of colors.

post #1418 of 3370 Old 03-27-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensamix View Post
If anyone can post some pictures of movies in vivid mode it would be great to see the saturation of colors.
it doesn't make any sense. You will see colors of your monitor.
post #1419 of 3370 Old 03-27-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
it doesn't make any sense. You will see colors of your monitor.
Like I said, I've seen the 900F in stores and I didn't like the colors too much. Maybe it was in standard mode. Would be great to see something in vivid mode to compare. My screen should show better colors if the TV shows them.

post #1420 of 3370 Old 03-27-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6859 Post(s)
Liked: 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensamix View Post
Can't buy OLED because of burn-in. Completely out of the equation.
Burn in happens, but it is rare...... There are pro's and con's to every set. I assume you want to watch something so pick which works best. Edge lit TV's have no blooming but they have a flock of other issues.....
Gillietalls likes this.
post #1421 of 3370 Old 03-27-2019, 10:15 AM

post #1422 of 3370 Old 03-27-2019, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencc3 View Post
Forgive me as I am not bashing the TV at all. I am a true Sony fan and refuse to buy any other brand unless I have to. The motion on the 950G is good but not the same excellence that my eyes got used to. If I were to score the 900E at 10/10, the 950G would be 8/10. Just believe me when I say that my eyes were a tad bit let down once I started watching my first movie. However, the 950G is miles better at being a gaming TV. That is the one thing that is saving this set from being refunded.
I really don't understand. How can the motion handling be worse but gaming experience better? Isn't motion handling the biggest factor when it comes to a good gaming experience (well, I guess it depends on your preferred game type, but still..)??

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
post #1423 of 3370 Old 03-27-2019, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 157
So I actually started this thread (the day the TV was announced at CES), then lost touch with it, then just spent literally hours reading every post from pages 17-48, and all I can say is... the information being presented in pages 10-50 is the exact same info as was reported/conjectured initially, which was based upon the specs released combined with an application of the knowledge we already had here regarding technologies and how they affect TV's these days.

Guys, we all know what this TV is now and how it compares to the X900E, X900F, X930E, X940E, Z9D, Z9F... as well as the LG OLEDs. It's time to transition to "owner's thread" information lol. For those trying to decide... stop posting and go read! It's all already there.
rynomyte and MechaGodzilla like this.

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
post #1424 of 3370 Old 03-27-2019, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
It's time to transition to "owner's thread" information lol. For those trying to decide... stop posting and go read! It's all already there.

For the love of all that is holy, please!!!

I think the problem is that this thread was so far into the weeds when it was transitioned into an "owners thread" that it should have just been closed and a new, true owners thread should have been created. Just my two cents anyway.

Really though, for those that hate this TV or have no intention of ever purchasing it, please stop. Just move on.

Spoiler!
post #1425 of 3370 Old 03-27-2019, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
YES, as far as know. I'll check it later.
thank you. I'll be waiting
post #1426 of 3370 Old 03-27-2019, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Anyone care to guess when Sony 950 will have Apple TV built in as was mentioned at the Apple even on Monday. When I buy the 950G I will need a new 4K Apple TV. I would rather wait until its built in
post #1427 of 3370 Old 03-27-2019, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I just read on another thread that the expensive model above the 950 series does poorly in a well lit room, poster compared it to OLED. How will the 950G do with a lot of ambient light. My home theater room has a lot of ambient light with glass doors to the outside and the kitchen has big skylights that the home theater room is connected to. It's separated by two steps and a counter but it's really one space. I have a Samsung now and its not too bad
post #1428 of 3370 Old 03-27-2019, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Burn in happens, but it is rare...... There are pro's and con's to every set. I assume you want to watch something so pick which works best. Edge lit TV's have no blooming but they have a flock of other issues.....
I want to believe this. But talked to a Sony rep last week who said he wouldn’t buy one of their OLEDs because of burn in issues. So while I love the picture quality of OLEDs, I watch way too much ESPN, sports, etc. to risk it.
Cuthalu likes this.
post #1429 of 3370 Old 03-27-2019, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYNIL View Post
I want to believe this. But talked to a Sony rep last week who said he wouldn’t buy one of their OLEDs because of burn in issues. So while I love the picture quality of OLEDs, I watch way too much ESPN, sports, etc. to risk it.

I've seen plenty of burned in OLED floor models. Went from rear projection to plasma and no more worries with the new 950G.
Cuthalu likes this.
post #1430 of 3370 Old 03-27-2019, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Silly question maybe but has anyone checked to see if the Ethernet port is now 1Gb as opposed to 100Mb? It doesn't technically need it, though if the Z9G only has 100Mb, they will have really gone and shot themselves in the foot.
Sensamix likes this.
post #1431 of 3370 Old 03-27-2019, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBenji View Post
Silly question maybe but has anyone checked to see if the Ethernet port is now 1Gb as opposed to 100Mb? It doesn't technically need it, though if the Z9G only has 100Mb, they will have really gone and shot themselves in the foot.
It's 100Mb.

Manufacturers will save 20¢ on a part if they can. You're really only doing one thing at a time on a TV so 25Mb should do for Netflix 4K. Downloading firmware or "apps" on rare occasions isn't going to buy you much with Gb.
LondonBenji likes this.
post #1432 of 3370 Old 03-27-2019, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Quote:
Forgive me as I am not bashing the TV at all. I am a true Sony fan and refuse to buy any other brand unless I have to. The motion on the 950G is good but not the same excellence that my eyes got used to. If I were to score the 900E at 10/10, the 950G would be 8/10. Just believe me when I say that my eyes were a tad bit let down once I started watching my first movie. However, the 950G is miles better at being a gaming TV. That is the one thing that is saving this set from being refunded.
I really don't understand. How can the motion handling be worse but gaming experience better? Isn't motion handling the biggest factor when it comes to a good gaming experience (well, I guess it depends on your preferred game type, but still..)??
You don’t use x-motion clarity while gaming. This tv is very good with input lag while gaming. When I speak of motion handing, I am referring to fast motion in movies. To be honest, if this tv wasn’t so good at gaming, I would return it. I am keeping because I like the remote and I game more than I watch movies. I still prefer watching movies on the 900e due to the better soap opera effect. Like many have stated, this set does not have any MAJOR improvements that justify the purchase over the previous models. If the 930e wasn’t a 2017 model, I would have purchased it. Why buy a 2 year old tv? Since I still have the 900e, I get to experience the best of both worlds. If you love the soap opera effect, then this tv is not for you. If you hate the soap opera effect then this tv will be great for you.
post #1433 of 3370 Old 03-27-2019, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotB& View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBenji View Post
It's 100Mb.

Manufacturers will save 20¢ on a part if they can. You're really only doing one thing at a time on a TV so 25Mb should do for Netflix 4K. Downloading firmware or "apps" on rare occasions isn't going to buy you much with Gb.
I think the Wi-Fi is faster, I only have a 100Mbps connection but when I tested it over Wi-Fi, it went to 110 Mbps for a brief second during the test.
post #1434 of 3370 Old 03-28-2019, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hello owners of the X950G, I have a question regarding the tv that I'm hoping someone can help me with. Regarding the televisions dimensions, the Sony site lists it as 48 3/8 inches wide. I had a question regarding the sound tweeters on the back, specifically if you look at the back of the tv you can see the sound tweeter and then the gap going towards the edge of the tv, I was curious if anyone knew how big that gap actually was from the tweeter towards the edge of the television, if it was maybe 1 or 2 inches. My intention if I intend to purchase this set is to put it in a open entertainment center that is in total 52 inches wide and i'm curious if the tweeters being close to the walls of my entertainment center would hinder sound quality. Any feedback would be appreciated.
post #1435 of 3370 Old 03-28-2019, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You don’t use x-motion clarity while gaming. This tv is very good with input lag while gaming. When I speak of motion handing, I am referring to fast motion in movies. To be honest, if this tv wasn’t so good at gaming, I would return it. I am keeping because I like the remote and I game more than I watch movies. I still prefer watching movies on the 900e due to the better soap opera effect. Like many have stated, this set does not have any MAJOR improvements that justify the purchase over the previous models. If the 930e wasn’t a 2017 model, I would have purchased it. Why buy a 2 year old tv? Since I still have the 900e, I get to experience the best of both worlds. If you love the soap opera effect, then this tv is not for you. If you hate the soap opera effect then this tv will be great for you.
How come your not using x-motion clarity for gaming? There is no increased input lag, it only reduces the brightness by 60 nits or so and there is no visable flickering. The motion with custom and clearness 1 will get you x-motion clarity and it makes the display MUCH better for gaming motion. It will be better then the 900e in that regard for gaming. Motion resolution is much higher with x-motion clarity on. Why not try it?
post #1436 of 3370 Old 03-28-2019, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Apple TV and no signal when turning on tv

Hi everyone,

I’m not sure what’s happening but when I power on the tv I get no input signal message from the tv.

I have to either unplug and reconnect the hdmi cable or switch to different input and then go back.

Apple TV does not go to sleep (it’s sleep Setting is set to never) and within Bravia Sync I have

Allow tv to turn off hdmi device set to OFF and allow hdmi device to power on this TV set to ON.

My Samsung and LG TVs (from 2018/2019) are not doing it.

I have already tried 2 other Apple TV 4K models and different hdmi cables.

Did anyone encounter this before?

-Adam
post #1437 of 3370 Old 03-28-2019, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 76
post #1438 of 3370 Old 03-28-2019, 07:49 AM

Very interesting comments at the end of that review.
Matsonia and iphilologos like this.
post #1439 of 3370 Old 03-28-2019, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvette94 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How come your not using x-motion clarity for gaming? There is no increased input lag, it only reduces the brightness by 60 nits or so and there is no visable flickering. The motion with custom and clearness 1 will get you x-motion clarity and it makes the display MUCH better for gaming motion. It will be better then the 900e in that regard for gaming. Motion resolution is much higher with x-motion clarity on. Why not try it?
It really depends on the day and game with me. And you are 100% correct about the clearness 1 statement. I was playing the Division 2 on ps4 Pro this weekend and didn’t even notice I was playing on my Cinema preset. However, for shooters I usually use Game mode. For RPG, I can use whatever since input lag is not important. But even in games, you will notice a difference between x-motion and motionflow 960.
post #1440 of 3370 Old 03-28-2019, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotB& View Post
It's 100Mb.

Yeah normal streaming apps will never tax a 100Mb connection, that being said I've seen some people on reddit complaining that their bluray rips exceed 100Mbps (I don't know why....) and thus cause it to stutter.

Also, I really really hope that the Z9G does have a 1Gb connection.... I don't see 8k streaming fitting on a 100Mb connection.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyrabbit21 View Post
I think the Wi-Fi is faster, I only have a 100Mbps connection but when I tested it over Wi-Fi, it went to 110 Mbps for a brief second during the test.
WiFi is inherently a dreadful medium though, I'll always choose wired over wireless but yes on a technicality, you could in theory get faster WiFi 'speeds' than the 100Mb wired connection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page