2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 911Likes

post #1441 of 2211 Old 03-28-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 375
WiFi is only faster than wired 100MBs if you are the only person using that channel and are close enough that distance or any other non-WiFi wireless device doesn't cause interference. Many people will have numerous WiFi device like cameras, Alexa, etc devices in their homes that would contend for all the wireless bandwidth.
LondonBenji likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 2211 Old 03-28-2019, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dener Melo View Post
Owners of an X950G

When activating vivid mode, can these settings be adjusted or turned off for adjustment?

1- Black ajust
2 - Adv. Contrast enhancer
3 - Auto Local Dimming
4 - Xtended Dinamic Range Pro
Can someone give me this information?
post #1443 of 2211 Old 03-28-2019, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomek398 View Post
Very interesting comments at the end of that review.
I think Vincent is right on the mark in regards to Sony moving on from high end LCDs such as the Z9D to focus on it's "Master Series" offerings primarily OLED. The days of Sony releasing high end LCD models have ended, and that ball has been passed to Samsung.

Sony is going to find a much tougher go in the "Mid Range" LCD market with TCL and Vizio releasing new models with QD tech, more dimmable zones, at comparable if not cheaper pricing, not to mention the Samsung Q90R which is priced the same as the Sony Z9F in the 65" size.
iphilologos and badcatsclaws like this.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 / PB-2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1444 of 2211 Old 03-28-2019, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberguy12 View Post
Hello owners of the X950G, I have a question regarding the tv that I'm hoping someone can help me with. Regarding the televisions dimensions, the Sony site lists it as 48 3/8 inches wide. I had a question regarding the sound tweeters on the back, specifically if you look at the back of the tv you can see the sound tweeter and then the gap going towards the edge of the tv, I was curious if anyone knew how big that gap actually was from the tweeter towards the edge of the television, if it was maybe 1 or 2 inches. My intention if I intend to purchase this set is to put it in a open entertainment center that is in total 52 inches wide and i'm curious if the tweeters being close to the walls of my entertainment center would hinder sound quality. Any feedback would be appreciated.
It's about 3" to the edge from the speaker opening. The TV edge actually curves toward the front and leaves the opening about 1.5" from the front.

People complain about audio from the internal speakers but find them acceptable for "normal" use. And that's at about 12 - 20 volume levels (out of 100). There's a setting for table or wall mount that changes the acoustics some and also an EQ that you can play with along with sound "programs". I fire up the surround sound when I play optical media on the Panasonic DP-UB820.
post #1445 of 2211 Old 03-28-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Sorry but I don't use torch mode and always darken all my displays....I like my retinas.
post #1446 of 2211 Old 03-28-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
I think Vincent is right on the mark in regards to Sony moving on from high end LCDs such as the Z9D to focus on it's "Master Series" offerings primarily OLED. The days of Sony releasing high end LCD models have ended, and that ball has been passed to Samsung.

Sony is going to find a much tougher go in the "Mid Range" LCD market with TCL and Vizio releasing new models with QD tech, more dimmable zones, at comparable if not cheaper pricing, not to mention the Samsung Q90R which is priced the same as the Sony Z9F in the 65" size.
Not sure if others have seen the below besides the repeated showing of one source. Ultimately your eyes are the judges. And tweak to your liking, not the masses or some site.

I'll pass on samsung's fake colors.

http://4k.com/tv/sony-2019-x950g-4k-...0g-xbr85x950g/

Not sure who those users are but sure they're bitter 900f fan boys.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....&id=1551684183
CaptinCrunch likes this.
post #1447 of 2211 Old 03-28-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6403 Post(s)
Liked: 6397
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYNIL View Post
I want to believe this. But talked to a Sony rep last week who said he wouldn’t buy one of their OLEDs because of burn in issues. So while I love the picture quality of OLEDs, I watch way too much ESPN, sports, etc. to risk it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotB& View Post
I've seen plenty of burned in OLED floor models. Went from rear projection to plasma and no more worries with the new 950G.
Plasma is just like OLED, any issues with your plasma?
post #1448 of 2211 Old 03-28-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Plasma is just like OLED, any issues with your plasma?

Yes. Had to baby sit to make sure no one left static images on for excessive periods. Towards the end, just browsing through a Netflix menu retained the image for longer and longer periods of time.
Cuthalu and badcatsclaws like this.
post #1449 of 2211 Old 03-28-2019, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Yes, you can change those settings
RobKnapp likes this.
post #1450 of 2211 Old 03-28-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc View Post
This guy is basically saying that we'd be crazy to pay X950G prices for 55" and 65" when we can just get the X900F. Is he right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-jUfJDpHZ0
The youtube guy is an i-diot scrolling through web sites "reviewing" something he's never had.
badcatsclaws likes this.
post #1451 of 2211 Old 03-28-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithras1 View Post
Useless . The brochure in video format ...
As is a lot of the you tubes.

Whatever happened to reading articles? I can read faster than watch useless and poorly made videos.
post #1452 of 2211 Old 03-28-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluv4k View Post
So I've been using the 55 inch Sony x950g for about 5 days now. Heavy use.

My opinion of it keeps improving. This is a very solid performer. Once I got used to the raised black levels, PQ is fine (was replacing an OLED).

Definitely will be keeping it as a long term secondary TV. Great for PC use, gaming. Not so much for movies as the blooming in the black bars will drive me crazy.

Just like rtings said this TV doesn't need much picture adjustment out of the box. Looks great at default settings.

The only big issue i've come across is the internal memory.
Sony's specs say it comes with 16gb of on board memory. BUT actually there is only about 4.4gb free out of the box.

This 4.4 gb disappears after watching a few hours of Netflix or using Chromecast to watch movies on the internal apps. Then I start to get a warning message that memory is full. I think it might be a problem with the firmware but it saves a lot of the cache files and never deletes it. I have to go in a manually delete the Chromecast cache files to free up the memory. After about 4 hours of built in app use on this TV the Chromecast cache hit 4gb basically taking up all the free space on the internal memory.

I cannot move any of the stock internal apps to a USB drive, nor can I delete them. Bloatware such a headache.

As my primary use of this TV is PC, I don't use the internal apps that much, I'm not so worried about going in and manually clearing the cache for apps from time to time. But I would be worried for people who buy this TV and use the internal Apps a lot, the memory will fill up often.
Going on 4 weeks tomorrow and zero space issues. Don't use chromecast, added a handful of apps to test and turned everything off I could that would phone home to include stupid voice anything...don't want a hot mic. and no plans to use included remote. Have the LED set to turn on if mic. is on.

Optical media and streaming from UB820
Cable TV and streaming from Xfinity box
Netflix from TV
Prime from TV
Testing youtube from TV <- biggest waste of space...leave it for PCs only when needed
Streaming audio and video from NAS
Light xBox One S usage to include streaming testing
Testing OTA
A few other network connected hardware boxes as well for testing

No blooming in a mostly dark room
post #1453 of 2211 Old 03-28-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
Just a suggestion, but you could get some bias lighting for the back of the tv and turn those lights behind the tv off...Gives off a decent amount of ambient light
Having any light behind a TV would annoy the hell out of me.
tubers and Sensamix like this.
post #1454 of 2211 Old 03-28-2019, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post

He also mentioned that Sony is drawing down stock of the Z9F and will no longer be producing it, so the X950G is soon to be Sony's highest end LCD besides the VERY high-end Z9G.

Last edited by JD23; 03-28-2019 at 07:56 PM.
post #1455 of 2211 Old 03-28-2019, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The reviews of this tv so far all seem to be of the smaller screen sizes without the X-wide. If it's true that the 75" that has x-wide in fact has lower contrast because of this, it would seem the larger sizes may warrant a separate review. Since I'm interested in a 75" size, I'd like a fair comparison between all the models of this size....but I'm not sure I'm going to have an accurate comparison when Rtings and Vincent are only doing reviews of the non x-wide sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oplasmic View Post
post #1456 of 2211 Old 03-29-2019, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
It's about 3" to the edge from the speaker opening. The TV edge actually curves toward the front and leaves the opening about 1.5" from the front.

People complain about audio from the internal speakers but find them acceptable for "normal" use. And that's at about 12 - 20 volume levels (out of 100). There's a setting for table or wall mount that changes the acoustics some and also an EQ that you can play with along with sound "programs". I fire up the surround sound when I play optical media on the Panasonic DP-UB820.
Hey thanks a lot, If I get one I plan on putting it in a 52 inch wide enclosure. I ask because I was curious how far the tweeter would be from the wall of the cabinet to the TV and wouldn't want weird distortion. Same intention here, I only plan on using it like in the early morning or night for the news or when people are asleep. Aside from that, I fire up the surround sound myself when everybody's up and if I may be so bold, I make the room shake like a California quake.
post #1457 of 2211 Old 03-29-2019, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Same. Glad I wasn't the only one. It really looks weird where I'd rather watch in a dimly lit room where the light isn't coming from the back of the TV.
post #1458 of 2211 Old 03-29-2019, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hello again owners of the X950G, I've been reading this thread and as ridiculous as this may sound, is there anybody here that actually likes this TV, it just seems like everyone is comparing it to the X900F or glad they kept there X930E, so does anyone have any positives about it?
srkmish and Soundizer17 like this.
post #1459 of 2211 Old 03-29-2019, 03:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Hello again owners of the X950G, I've been reading this thread and as ridiculous as this may sound, is there anybody here that actually likes this TV, it just seems like everyone is comparing it to the X900F or glad they kept there X930E, so does anyone have any positives about it?
Yes I have the same question as there are probably many owners here. Maybe some of them returned it.

I think the tv will be excellent value when it gets down to Black Friday prices.
post #1460 of 2211 Old 03-29-2019, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvette94 View Post
How come your not using x-motion clarity for gaming? There is no increased input lag, it only reduces the brightness by 60 nits or so and there is no visable flickering. The motion with custom and clearness 1 will get you x-motion clarity and it makes the display MUCH better for gaming motion. It will be better then the 900e in that regard for gaming. Motion resolution is much higher with x-motion clarity on. Why not try it?
If you are playing games in Game mode, then you shouldn't use Clarity at all. This TV can only do BFI (black frame insertion) at 120hz not the 60hz that would be required for 60fps games. You will get image duplication were any camera pan or moving object will show 2 or more shadow images of it self due to the backlight strobing at a higher rate than the actual frame rate and your eye are continual moving during those flickers as they are tracking the object in motion so you will get multiple exposures of the same image at more than one place on your retina, thus image duplication.

Some more info on your TV and BFI: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/so...omparison_2464

If you are playing in another mode, which is baffling due to the extreme input lag, then you can use Clear motion as it works together with Smoothness (interpolation) without creating image duplicates.
Cuthalu likes this.
post #1461 of 2211 Old 03-29-2019, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvette94 View Post
How come your not using x-motion clarity for gaming? There is no increased input lag, it only reduces the brightness by 60 nits or so and there is no visable flickering. The motion with custom and clearness 1 will get you x-motion clarity and it makes the display MUCH better for gaming motion. It will be better then the 900e in that regard for gaming. Motion resolution is much higher with x-motion clarity on. Why not try it?
If you are playing games in Game mode, then you shouldn't use Clarity at all. This TV can only do BFI (black frame insertion) at 120hz not the 60hz that would be required for 60fps games. You will get image duplication were any camera pan or moving object will show 2 or more shadow images of it self due to the backlight strobing at a higher rate than the actual frame rate and your eye are continual moving during those flickers as they are tracking the object in motion so you will get multiple exposures of the same image at more than one place on your retina, thus image duplication.

Some more info on your TV and BFI: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/so...omparison_2464

If you are playing in another mode, which is baffling due to the extreme input lag, then you can use Clear motion as it works together with Smoothness (interpolation) without creating image duplicates.
I played some Division 2 yesterday in GAME mode with clearness set to 1. It was a pretty good experience. I feel that it’s more smooth with clearness set to 1 than with it off. However, the input lag is still pretty quick on other presets while using smoothness 1 and clearness 1. You can def. tell that the input lag is better than the 900e. On another note, this tv is BRIGHT. I would say that on the 900e I mostly put the brightness around 17-18. This set, I am having to drop to 9-12. If I get flash banged in the game, it actually effects my eyes for real.
post #1462 of 2211 Old 03-29-2019, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
The X950G is a great tv, and I have seen the 65" in both my local Magnolia, and in private viewing. At Magnolia the 950G and 900F are side by side and there is no difference in the picture quality showing the same feed. With the Z9F being discontinued with only current stock remanining, it will come down to the 950G and the 900F.

Either one is a excellent choice, but the question is are you willing to pay the higher price for 950G knowing it's a rather small upgrade over the 900F. On the 75" & 85" you get the X-Wide Angle tech just like on the Z9F. but the trade off to the better viewing angle is lower contrast levels.

If I were buying 55" or 65" and price didn't matter, X950G. But for the 75" or 85" I would still go with the X900F, better contrast and cheaper price for pretty much the same picture quality.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 / PB-2000
post #1463 of 2211 Old 03-29-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Really??? Huh. I guess to each his own. I personally think it looks great. Far less annoying than the reflection of a bright light on the screen for sure.

But honestly? You really think this looks annoying?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08-26-2018_11-18_0692.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	954.0 KB
ID:	2545802   Click image for larger version

Name:	09-21-2018_09-50_0559.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	577.0 KB
ID:	2545804  

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
post #1464 of 2211 Old 03-29-2019, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArt View Post
If you are playing games in Game mode, then you shouldn't use Clarity at all..
I can't agree with it. You are right that Sony uses 120Hz BFI even for 60Hz content which leads to duplications but that is still reducing motion blur and improving picture quality. It fact it is a only way to do that on Sony TV if you want low input lag. As you said using frame interpolation is possible but input lag increases significantly even with Ultimate processor. This is an area when Samsung is much better.
post #1465 of 2211 Old 03-29-2019, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
It is useless and distracting
shaggy123 likes this.
post #1466 of 2211 Old 03-29-2019, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimon.Zorg View Post
Distracting? Possibly. Useless? Absolutely incorrect. It will improve the perception of the black bars. If your TV cannot produce completely black bars, the backlighting will fool your eyes into thinking the bars are black and not grey without affecting the actual image on screen.
post #1467 of 2211 Old 03-29-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimon.Zorg View Post
Distracting- subjective. Useless completely wrong...It aids in perceived contrast and masks blooming into black bars. Also, depending on the color of light used, it can greatly reduce eye strain if you watch in a dark room.

Those photos were from an old 900e I sold. It had very bad blooming into the black bars. With bias lighting you couldn't really see it unless you looked carefully for it. It would be a MUST for a 75 950g or z9f. An ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE. Blooming into the black bars is extremely distracting. So distracting I would never consider even buying a tv like a 950g or z9f without using bias lighting.

I find educating myself before making rash dogmatic statements is helpful in avoiding coming off like a jerk too. Just sayin.

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 55x930d (Retired)

Last edited by joshua goard; 03-29-2019 at 12:04 PM.
post #1468 of 2211 Old 03-29-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Really??? Huh. I guess to each his own. I personally think it looks great. Far less annoying than the reflection of a bright light on the screen for sure.

I don't have any reflections in my situation. It is positively annoying to see any light from behind the set (even sides) as it detracts from the picture. It's especially gaudy with color lighting. Guess it would be okay for a kids' room.
post #1469 of 2211 Old 03-29-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't have any reflections in my situation. It is positively annoying to see any light from behind the set (even sides) as it detracts from the picture. It's especially gaudy with color lighting. Guess it would be okay for a kids' room.
Everyone has their own tastes. I think i originally recommended it in response to a situation where someone was complaining about how the tv was reflecting light from behind them and that they needed some light in the room.

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
post #1470 of 2211 Old 03-29-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 742
2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Everyone has their own tastes. I think i originally recommended it in response to a situation where someone was complaining about how the tv was reflecting light from behind them and that they needed some light in the room.

This subject comes up frequently people have to remember bias lighting is used in grading studios also.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"

Last edited by gomo657; 03-29-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page