2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 50 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1101Likes

post #1471 of 2821 Old 03-29-2019, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Once I put bias lighting behind my F8500, that was it. I could never watch it without it. Makes it OLEDesque. Like you said, to each their own.
gomo657, hingerson and Tomek398 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 2821 Old 03-29-2019, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
This subject comes up frequently people have to remember bias lighting is used in grading studios also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDtnmvkNW3I
Just because you have someone working in a dark hole with monitors all day doesn't mean you should add additional lights to watch a movie or two.

Whatever floats your dinghy.
post #1473 of 2821 Old 03-29-2019, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberguy12 View Post
Hello again owners of the X950G, I've been reading this thread and as ridiculous as this may sound, is there anybody here that actually likes this TV, it just seems like everyone is comparing it to the X900F or glad they kept there X930E, so does anyone have any positives about it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundizer17 View Post
Yes I have the same question as there are probably many owners here. Maybe some of them returned it.

I think the tv will be excellent value when it gets down to Black Friday prices.
I have the 65in x950g and really like it. upgraded from a samsung 60in KS8000. Picture, motion, inputs, etc. are all better from my perspective.

I have an xbox one, ps4, and appletv directly connected and the arc out to a soundbar with no problems. Originally running everything through a caavo control center but it was having issues syncing the appletv due to dolby vision. Will try again if they ever push out the dolby vision update.

I wanted earc and the faster processor so i paid the premium over the 900f. I have no idea if one picture is better than the other.

I am not an expert and don't claim to be. I have had a few high-def and 4k tvs over the years. This has the best out of the box picture of any tv i have had. Set picture on custom and minor adjustments for me to be happy.

Also, the remote controls the appletv(hidden in a cabinet) and ps4 just fine.
WannaBinHD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1474 of 2821 Old 03-29-2019, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jddesigned View Post
Should point this out to Rtings to monitor for in their review
May want to look at more than just spikes. If you really want to know what any device is trying to do then run packet captures.

Just a sample of what I see now from just this TV without using it or being "on". This is with turning off lots of services and denying lots of permissions for "apps". Do enough of it and then usability breaks.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cap.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	2546030   Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	2546032  
post #1475 of 2821 Old 03-29-2019, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post

I find educating myself before making rash dogmatic statements is helpful in avoiding coming off like a jerk too. Just sayin.
I tried bias lighting with LCD TVs several times. I didn't see much difference more like placebo. I had Philips Tv with ambilight. Bias lighting is not a replacement for native good black level. That's my experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2018-07-29_211415_HHT.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	691.1 KB
ID:	2546128  

Last edited by Dimon.Zorg; 03-29-2019 at 08:28 PM.
post #1476 of 2821 Old 03-29-2019, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just read over reddit an owner of this set said that "enhanced HDMI" only works in two of the four HDMI ports.

What does that mean?

Can any owner confirm this?

Does that mean that the other two ports won't work with HDR? Is it the same that happened with the 900F?

Enviado desde mi EML-L09 mediante Tapatalk
post #1477 of 2821 Old 03-29-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye1 View Post
I have the 65in x950g and really like it. upgraded from a samsung 60in KS8000. Picture, motion, inputs, etc. are all better from my perspective.

I have an xbox one, ps4, and appletv directly connected and the arc out to a soundbar with no problems. Originally running everything through a caavo control center but it was having issues syncing the appletv due to dolby vision. Will try again if they ever push out the dolby vision update.

I wanted earc and the faster processor so i paid the premium over the 900f. I have no idea if one picture is better than the other.

I am not an expert and don't claim to be. I have had a few high-def and 4k tvs over the years. This has the best out of the box picture of any tv i have had. Set picture on custom and minor adjustments for me to be happy.

Can you confirm "enhanced HDMI" in the settings is available for ALL HDMI ports?

I think it's in the external devices settings.

post #1478 of 2821 Old 03-29-2019, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Really??? Huh. I guess to each his own. I personally think it looks great. Far less annoying than the reflection of a bright light on the screen for sure.

But honestly? You really think this looks annoying?
Yeah, I have had a fluorescent light behind my tv in the basement for 15 years now and I forget the Kelvin rating but it makes viewing so much better.
I could not imagine not having it.
It really helps in rooms that are large and dark in other areas.
Reduces eye strain.
post #1479 of 2821 Old 03-29-2019, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi long time AVS lurker but never really a poster. I recently moved and when I went to set up my Sony 75" 940C, I found that it's just about 3 1/2" too wide to be able to fit on the only wall that I can realistically mount the TV to. I still love the TV and its picture quality, but it looks like I will need to replace it with a different 75" Sony model that doesn't have the extra width from those speakers like my 940C. The main problem with my viewing room is that it has a wall that's two stories tall and almost all glass that makes it very bright during the day and I think that would pretty much eliminate using an OLED in that room.

I have begin reading through this thread on the X950Gs as I guess this would be the logical replacement for me. However, is there anything else that I should be looking at other than the 950? I really didn't want to spend the $$ on a TV right now as I was hoping to get another 2-3 years out of my 940C before my next upgrade. Any insight would be appreciated - Thank you in advance!
post #1480 of 2821 Old 03-30-2019, 01:34 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Well, I bit the bullet and did the Dead Pixel test and found a cluster near the middle. Thinking of going for a replacement since it’s still within the return period.

Going to be a hassle though because I don’t even know how to rebox this thing what with Sony’s weird bottomloss boxes. It’s a 65” too so it’s pretty heavy.

Overall though as someone who’s owned both the 900F and 950G, the 950G checked a lot of boxes for me that the 900F didn’t.

Yes, picture wise they are similar, but I just love the speediness of the new chipset, the new remote (and the fact that it doesn’t need to be pointed at the TV).

The extra money is well worth it for me due to the convenience of these features. I have an iPhone so Airplay will be a welcome feature.
post #1481 of 2821 Old 03-30-2019, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Stuttering question

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye1 View Post

Hi Buckeye1, thank you very much for the feedback, nice to hear you like the set. I have a question maybe you can help me with. See, I'm looking to upgrade from a 2008 Sony LCD to this set, 55 inch for me. I've been doing a lot of research and one of the things I came across was because of the fast response time of this TV it can cause stutter, just to be clear not judder, stutter. Apparently its something that happens with 24fps content such as Blu-ray movies. I am concerned because I want to play a lot of games which are capped at 30fps such as Assassins Creed, Tomb Raider, Red Dead Redemption 2 just to name a few. If you play games like this, have you noticed this issue and do you find it distracting taking away from the experience or is it something that you feel from your perspective isn't perceivable. I would welcome any input from you or anyone else who comes across this post and would care to comment.
post #1482 of 2821 Old 03-30-2019, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
The X950G is a great tv, and I have seen the 65" in both my local Magnolia, and in private viewing. At Magnolia the 950G and 900F are side by side and there is no difference in the picture quality showing the same feed. With the Z9F being discontinued with only current stock remanining, it will come down to the 950G and the 900F.

Either one is a excellent choice, but the question is are you willing to pay the higher price for 950G knowing it's a rather small upgrade over the 900F. On the 75" & 85" you get the X-Wide Angle tech just like on the Z9F. but the trade off to the better viewing angle is lower contrast levels.

If I were buying 55" or 65" and price didn't matter, X950G. But for the 75" or 85" I would still go with the X900F, better contrast and cheaper price for pretty much the same picture quality.
Hi CaptinCrunch, thanks for your opinion. Looks like something positive about this TV for a change. I find myself growing fond of the X950G and would get the 55 inch due to the space I have to work with and the cost would only be 150 dollars more than the X900F and I favor the low input lag and the X1 Ultimate Processor which makes the picture look phenomenal. I went to my local Magnolia myself and the first time I saw the tv wasn't impressed but then went to another store and my jaw dropped. When I talked to the staff there guess was that the panel at that Magnolia might have been damaged because I was seeing a white patch in the corner of the image that was continuously lit up and it turns out it might have been damaged while shipping. I do have a question and I welcome any information you would be willing to provide. I play video games and watch Blu-ray movies at 24p, my intention is to possibly get this tv upgrading from a 2008 Sony LCD. One of the odd quirks that I read about is called stuttering, just to be clear not judder, where when you watch content at a low frame rate movement can look odd on tv's with a fast response time such as the X900F, this panel we're discussing and its also found in OLED as well. My concern is that in video games I play a lot of 30fps games such as Assassins Creed, Tomb Raider, etc. I always play in game mode for the fastest response time, that being said, can you or anyone else here please comment on stuttering at low frame rates, would that be a potential deal breaker for purchasing this tv. I hope I'm not coming off in any way as pushy, its just that attempted to upgrade to 4K once before and it was a total disaster and this time I really want to get it right. Thank you for your time.
post #1483 of 2821 Old 03-30-2019, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Really??? Huh. I guess to each his own. I personally think it looks great. Far less annoying than the reflection of a bright light on the screen for sure.

But honestly? You really think this looks annoying?

Looks nice actually, but I think when Vincent was doing the review and mentioned biased lighting, he might have been thinking about his date later that night
post #1484 of 2821 Old 03-30-2019, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensamix View Post
Can you confirm "enhanced HDMI" in the settings is available for ALL HDMI ports?

I think it's in the external devices settings.

Yes it is available on all 4 ports
Sensamix likes this.
post #1485 of 2821 Old 03-30-2019, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberguy12 View Post
Hi Buckeye1, thank you very much for the feedback, nice to hear you like the set. I have a question maybe you can help me with. See, I'm looking to upgrade from a 2008 Sony LCD to this set, 55 inch for me. I've been doing a lot of research and one of the things I came across was because of the fast response time of this TV it can cause stutter, just to be clear not judder, stutter. Apparently its something that happens with 24fps content such as Blu-ray movies. I am concerned because I want to play a lot of games which are capped at 30fps such as Assassins Creed, Tomb Raider, Red Dead Redemption 2 just to name a few. If you play games like this, have you noticed this issue and do you find it distracting taking away from the experience or is it something that you feel from your perspective isn't perceivable. I would welcome any input from you or anyone else who comes across this post and would care to comment.
i have played tomb raider on the xbox one and have not noticed it. If it is there it is something that does not bother me. I do have it switched to game mode while playing so not sure if that helps.
I have not watched any blu-rays, only streamed movies so far. I will try to pop in a blu-ray later today and see if i notice anything.
post #1486 of 2821 Old 03-30-2019, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencc3 View Post
I played some Division 2 yesterday in GAME mode with clearness set to 1. It was a pretty good experience. I feel that it’s more smooth with clearness set to 1 than with it off. However, the input lag is still pretty quick on other presets while using smoothness 1 and clearness 1. You can def. tell that the input lag is better than the 900e. On another note, this tv is BRIGHT. I would say that on the 900e I mostly put the brightness around 17-18. This set, I am having to drop to 9-12. If I get flash banged in the game, it actually effects my eyes for real.
If you are happy with clearness all the better for you. I'm just stating facts. If you turn of the ingame motion blur and then pan the camera and look at high contrast edges or line thin objects you will se them double (60fps) or quadruple (30fps). If you turn clearness off, you will get a smooth looking motion instead.

Read up on Black Frame Insertion, this TV only supports 120hz and the BFI rate needs to match the games frame rate to work properly or you will get image duplication.
post #1487 of 2821 Old 03-30-2019, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 314
The TV upsamples everything to the 120hz panel frequency, like all better TVs, whether BFI is engaged or not so that is not correct. Clearness 1 is also localized bfi. The reason they've gone to 120hz only is to reduce flicker and artifacts, just the opposite of what you're describing.

Last edited by js950; 03-30-2019 at 07:15 AM.
post #1488 of 2821 Old 03-30-2019, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm looking to replace my 2007 Pioneer Kuro with a super large 4K HDR TV. 75 or 85 inch X950G seems like a good option within my budget. I would like some information from owners of the 75" since the 85" is not out yet. I would need the X-Wide angle so X900F in the same sizes is not an option.

My concerns are these: How bad is black level level and contrast for dark room movie watching which will be 90% of the use? And is blooming that noticeable?

Where I live it would be a little hard to demo in ideal conditions before buying so advice from real owners would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also looking at 77 Oleds from Sony and LG but are more expensive and I don't know about burnin
badcatsclaws likes this.
post #1489 of 2821 Old 03-30-2019, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppp1 View Post
My concerns are these: How bad is black level level and contrast for dark room movie watching which will be 90% of the use? And is blooming that noticeable?
OLED is a best solution in that scenario.
pppp1 likes this.
post #1490 of 2821 Old 03-30-2019, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by js950 View Post
The TV upsamples everything to the 120hz panel frequency, like all better TVs, whether BFI is engaged or not so that is not correct. Clearness 1 is also localized bfi. The reason they've gone to 120hz only is to reduce flicker and artifacts, just the opposite of what you're describing.
No, not in Game/Graphics mode it does not. There simply is no interpolation going on as Smoothness is grayed out.

Sony ZF9 75" (Owned: Sony KDL-W55905A, Samsung Q9FN 65" & Q900 75")
post #1491 of 2821 Old 03-30-2019, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArt View Post
No, not in Game/Graphics mode it does not. There simply is no interpolation going on as Smoothness is grayed out.
Oops. That's right. I'm still surprised the clearness '1' would cause an issue.
post #1492 of 2821 Old 03-30-2019, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
I'm looking to replace my 2007 Pioneer Kuro with a super large 4K HDR TV. 75 or 85 inch X950G seems like a good option within my budget. I would like some information from owners of the 75" since the 85" is not out yet. I would need the X-Wide angle so X900F in the same sizes is not an option.

Where I live it would be a little hard to demo in ideal conditions before buying so advice from real owners would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also looking at 77 Oleds from Sony and LG but are more expensive and I don't know about burnin

I'm not sure whether anyone here owns the 75" yet, but X-Wide is known to increase viewing angles at the expense of contrast ratio, which is the opposite of what is optimal for dark room movie watching. An OLED sounds like the better fit for someone coming from a plasma who will be using the TV almost exclusively for dark room movie viewing. The X950G is a good all-around performer that is best suited for a mix of bright room TV viewing, sports, games, and movies, all without burn-in risk. Backlight blooming during HDR content in a dark room may bother you, however.
post #1493 of 2821 Old 03-30-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Adam View Post
However, is there anything else that I should be looking at other than the 950?
Assuming you don't care about 1080p game lag, people still recommend the 2018 X900F and the 2016 Z9D. The Z9F is the only other Sony I'd consider, since I'm interested in at least matching my 1080p Sony game lag, but so far the price has basically been 77" OLED money. Next on my list will probably be the 2019 Samsung Q70 through Q90 models.

Quote:
I really didn't want to spend the $$ on a TV right now as I was hoping to get another 2-3 years out of my 940C before my next upgrade.
Would something like a full motion mount and angling the TV work to reduce the width? Based on the online dimensions, it's roughly 22 degrees swivel and the front edge would be 32.5" or more into the room. I think the Monoprice 12280 that I looked at the other day is capable of doing this sort of thing, but of course it might not work for other reasons.
post #1494 of 2821 Old 03-30-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6777 Post(s)
Liked: 6784
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaviator View Post
The reviews of this tv so far all seem to be of the smaller screen sizes without the X-wide. If it's true that the 75" that has x-wide in fact has lower contrast because of this, it would seem the larger sizes may warrant a separate review. Since I'm interested in a 75" size, I'd like a fair comparison between all the models of this size....but I'm not sure I'm going to have an accurate comparison when Rtings and Vincent are only doing reviews of the non x-wide sizes.
Yep that's the down side, reviewing takes time and money, usually most guys do one model, one size.....
post #1495 of 2821 Old 03-30-2019, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:

Neither the X900F or the X950G are great dark room viewing TV's, but they are excellent multi purpose family room TVs. For dark room movie watching you need to go OLED or look at the Samsung Q90R, Q9FN, or try to find one the 75" Z9D's that are still floating around.
pppp1 and Tomek398 like this.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2
post #1496 of 2821 Old 03-30-2019, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 5
To re-iterate on a previous post, every day I grow more and more pleased with the speediness of this processor.

I regularly use Netflix, Twitch, YouTube, the built in Chromecast, external USB drives with videos on them, even the internet browser.

I also regularly tweak the settings based on what i'm watching.

The TV is such a pleasure to use compared to the X900F. The remote is quick and snappy, so are all the menus, I can have multiple apps running in the background and switch between them almost instantly.

One thing I have yet to notice however, is the benefits of the X1 Ultimate over the X1 Extreme.

I haven't watched much cable yet, but I assume that's where we will see the power of the object based super resolution (is this tied to the Reality Creation setting?) I will be watching some more cable in the next few weeks and report back. I did read that Sony said this processor is twice as powerful as the X1 Extreme mainly because of their database of objects to re-master in 4K and HDR. So I assume this benefit will be seen the most with low quality content such as compressed 720p cable.
IGotB& and badcatsclaws like this.
post #1497 of 2821 Old 03-30-2019, 11:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1177 Post(s)
Liked: 1096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvette94 View Post
I echo what others say about ordering online, these sets are sent to Best Buy etc on a semi and are arranged in all weird ways and Best Buys stores many of the tvs on their side ugh.

As for the 940e, it has amazing contrast with the local dimming but it has a pretty slow pixel response which could be an issue if you game. If you game I would go with the 950g due to the much faster pixel response and lower lag for all resolutions.

How did your replacement 940e’s uniformity look like? Most I saw had some issues with uniformity that my 930e does not have.

Not sure the 950g is an improvement over the 930e. What makes you want to set the x930e aside?
How does the 950g compare to the 930e? Thinking about getting a 55 for the bedroom.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #1498 of 2821 Old 03-31-2019, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
How does the 950g compare to the 930e? Thinking about getting a 55 for the bedroom.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
930E FTW. I own the 950G and will say that I wish I had a 930E. It is a much better TV. I would return the 950 for a 930E but my only option would be to order one from amazon. Contrast, blooming, black levels, and motion handling are better on the 930E. The only thing is that you would be purchasing a 2017 model over a 2019 model.
post #1499 of 2821 Old 03-31-2019, 08:46 PM

Any owners can comment on the reflections of the panel?

I just watched the HDTVtest review of the 900F, which is very similar to the 950G, and the reflections on the panel during the video were horrible. Too much.

I want this TV but I have a bright living room. Can someone post pictures or videos or comment on this?

Thanks!

post #1500 of 2821 Old 03-31-2019, 08:48 PM

Also, does local dimming work on game mode?

I read on the Q9FN forums that it does not work in game mode on that TV.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"