2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 53 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1198Likes

post #1561 of 3201 Old 04-08-2019, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdinlexky2 View Post
Good idea, another idea, is go to Best Buy, or wherever you bought yours and given them a 1 star review, then if they fix the Netflix issue, you can edit the ranking, since not many sales yet, each one star review will have an effect on final score.
I think trying to leverage BestBuy for an issue beyond their control or responsibility is poor form.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 3201 Old 04-08-2019, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by js950 View Post
I think trying to leverage BestBuy for an issue beyond their control or responsibility is poor form.

You aren't 'leveraging' BB, though. You are rating the product.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #1563 of 3201 Old 04-08-2019, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

and service. 1 star is bad all around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1564 of 3201 Old 04-08-2019, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Netflix error sony 55x950g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
You aren't 'leveraging' BB, though. You are rating the product.
My rating, my choice, that's the beauty of free speech and open ratings! Now I realized after the fact, you can't update Best Buy ratings, otherwise I may have been less harsh on them. My 2+ hours on the phone with Sony tech support rubbed me the wrong way. I wasted all that time, and once they realized it wasn't something wrong I was doing, they just tell me to call Netflix. They couldn't even tell me it wasn't just my model. So I spent a lot of time trying to pack this up and take it to Best Buy to get another. Then I got the 2nd TV back from Best Buy with the exact same error message on Netflix! (probably 4 hours invested in this by now!)

I bet if I bought a brand new Roku4K Ultra that just came out, and after 1 month out it stopped working with Netflix, I bet if I called Roku and they realized their is a compatibility problem with Netflix (the number one streaming service) they would have leveraged themselves to get Netflix to fix this right away. My impression from Sony tech support, its my business to call Netflix and tell them they have a problem with a certain model of Sony TV. They have a freaking Netflix button on the remote control, gosh, can't they leverage their influence to get Netflix to fix the software ASAP?! Maybe they are, but tech support made me feel like they are not!

BTW don't think this will every happen with a Roku, guessing their software validation process is more robust than Sony's!
post #1565 of 3201 Old 04-08-2019, 04:10 PM

Exclamation Netflix problem fixed

Guess I will quit my complaining, Netflix issues seems now to be fixed!
post #1566 of 3201 Old 04-08-2019, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My rating, my choice, that's the beauty of free speech and open ratings!
Beauty is relative. I wasn't telling you what to do, just offering another perspective.
hdinlexky2 likes this.
post #1567 of 3201 Old 04-08-2019, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
<snip>
I bet if I bought a brand new Roku4K Ultra that just came out, and after 1 month out it stopped working with Netflix, I bet if I called Roku and they realized their is a compatibility problem with Netflix (the number one streaming service) they would have leveraged themselves to get Netflix to fix this right away. <snip>
My experience with roku was different when they had their first 1080 player. It didn't support static IP and after playing tech support with them I gave up and returned. Never been happier without them. I don't know if they still don't support static IP but the first and only network device I've encountered that didn't support it. I don't do DHCP and don't want it, thank you.
post #1568 of 3201 Old 04-08-2019, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6840 Post(s)
Liked: 6837
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hey all, just have a comment from an uneducated technology geek...so I decided to replace by 15 year old Pioneer Plasma TV and purchased a 75" Samsung Q70R. It's fine, but my wife hates the period stutter/judder (don't know the right term) on regular TV channels. We watched a movie on Apple TV in HDR, it was good, but not amazing. Bottom line is my wife is just "eh" with the Samsung....so I decided I would purchase a 75" Sony x950g and then see what she thought....and just return the Samsung or the Sony. Fast forward to today, setup the Sony right in front of the Samsung and the first thing I notice is the glare.....the glare on the Sony is much more than the Samsung, they have some anti-glare finish on the 70R that tones down the glare. I expected my wife to hate the Sony as a result, but when she came in she was amazed at home much better the picture looked! She commented that the picture was so much more real looking, with much more depth and richness to it. I then put on Aquaman on AppleTV after turning on Dolby Vision and holy crap, it was SOOO much more vibrant than the Samsung, honestly its not even close.

Bottom line, Samsung is going back, we are keeping the 950G. It may not be perfect, but its way better (in our opinion) than the Samsung.
In all fairness the 80R would be the comparable to the 950G.....
Lyner likes this.
post #1569 of 3201 Old 04-09-2019, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwano View Post
Quick take:

My 7 month old 900F got a horizontal line across the screen, and it’s either a bad video board or bad panel. Either way, I used the opportunity to move to a 950G.

The performance of the TV is significantly improved with the new processor, and that’s the biggest difference thus far. Local dimming is improved a bit as well with less blooming, as is stutter, which I felt was pretty strong on the 900F. The 950G also required significantly less tinkering with the settings to get the picture calibrated to my liking.

Not a night and day difference, and if my 900F hadn’t failed, it wouldn’t have been worth the effort of boxing up, remounting, etc. That being said, if you are looking to purchase either one, the 950G improvements are worth the couple of hundred dollars difference, most notably having all 4 HDMI ports being HDCP 2.2 capable versus the 2 on the 900F.
So, I've been on the fence about making a final decision (85X950G vs 85X900F). I just received updated pricing today, and I'm able to get the 900F for a good $1k less then the 950G. Since you've had both TV's, is the 950G really worth spending the extra money? Note/take into consideration, I'd be moving from a Sony 65X900B, that is about 5 years old and is NOT capable of HDR. So, either TV should be a nice improvement in both size and PQ...
post #1570 of 3201 Old 04-09-2019, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Guess I will quit my complaining, Netflix issues seems now to be fixed!
how was it fixed ? was there a fw update ?
post #1571 of 3201 Old 04-09-2019, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Between this TV and the Samsung Q9FN for the same price which one do you guys think is the better one?

I like having Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, DTS support and eArc on the Sony, but I like watching movies without lights and the Samsung has more dimming zones, better color and more contrast.

I have the Q9FN but I'm in the return window.

Enviado desde mi EML-L09 mediante Tapatalk
post #1572 of 3201 Old 04-09-2019, 04:21 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensamix View Post
Between this TV and the Samsung Q9FN for the same price which one do you guys think is the better one?

I like having Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, DTS support and eArc on the Sony, but I like watching movies without lights and the Samsung has more dimming zones, better color and more contrast.

I have the Q9FN but I'm in the return window.

Devuelvelo
post #1573 of 3201 Old 04-09-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDisplay View Post
how was it fixed ? was there a fw update ?

It was magical.

Still have Sony calling me on my case...so Netflix/Google maybe? No firmware or application update required.
post #1574 of 3201 Old 04-09-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc151rules View Post
So, I've been on the fence about making a final decision (85X950G vs 85X900F). I just received updated pricing today, and I'm able to get the 900F for a good $1k less then the 950G. Since you've had both TV's, is the 950G really worth spending the extra money? Note/take into consideration, I'd be moving from a Sony 65X900B, that is about 5 years old and is NOT capable of HDR. So, either TV should be a nice improvement in both size and PQ...
The 950G is an updated and better model overall along with things the older models don't have. You decide what's worth it to you. The 2019 model will be supported longer.
post #1575 of 3201 Old 04-09-2019, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
My 75 got delivered finally yesterday and overall pleased thus far. I didn't need a "theater" TV as my Z9D fills that bill just wanted something to update/upgrade my living room TV and this one worked great. Under demanding scenes it does bloom some but nothing I can't live with. Overall happy with the purchase.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #1576 of 3201 Old 04-09-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotB& View Post
Devuelvelo
Why?

post #1577 of 3201 Old 04-09-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
My 75 got delivered finally yesterday and overall pleased thus far. I didn't need a "theater" TV as my Z9D fills that bill just wanted something to update/upgrade my living room TV and this one worked great. Under demanding scenes it does bloom some but nothing I can't live with. Overall happy with the purchase.
Does it show a lot of reflections on the screen of lights and such?

How are the colors and the blacks?

post #1578 of 3201 Old 04-09-2019, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
[QUOTE=bc151rules;57878068]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwano View Post
You’ll need to decide if the money is worth the upgraded processor(prob most notable reason to go with the new model), -much- nicer remote, and having four inputs capable of 4K enhanced devices instead of two on the 900F(may not be needed if using ARC port for a receiver or soundbar capable of pass-thru).

I love the 950G so far and it’s a huge upgrade from my old 850B. I felt the processor was enough to go newer for future support and usability. Some have said the 900F has too much lag in menus...
post #1579 of 3201 Old 04-09-2019, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
Quote:
Does it show a lot of reflections on the screen of lights and such?

How are the colors and the blacks?

Reflections are a bit of a problem in particular if the light source is above and well outside and back of your viewing position.

Colors are great and blacks are actually quite good. Again, I don;t plan to use this TV in a dark room environment...that is what my Z9D is for.
srkmish and Sensamix like this.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #1580 of 3201 Old 04-09-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
Reflections are a bit of a problem in particular if the light source is above and well outside and back of your viewing position.

Colors are great and blacks are actually quite good. Again, I don;t plan to use this TV in a dark room environment...that is what my Z9D is for.
Thanks.

I'm trying to decide if I should stay with my Samsung Q9FN or go with the Sony.

I do watch a lot of movies in the dark and play horror games also in the dark.

How is the Dolby Vision performance? It's one of the things that appeal me of the Sony.

Also, has anyone played any games in a dark room to see how is the blooming in games?

Thanks!

post #1581 of 3201 Old 04-10-2019, 03:39 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks.

I'm trying to decide if I should stay with my Samsung Q9FN or go with the Sony.

I do watch a lot of movies in the dark and play horror games also in the dark.

How is the Dolby Vision performance? It's one of the things that appeal me of the Sony.

Also, has anyone played any games in a dark room to see how is the blooming in games?

Thanks!

The TV is excellent for gaming, I played witcher 3 and don't notice blooming in dark cave scenes with bright torches, the picture is a joy to look at. I'm using it as a PC monitor in my mancave and streaming shows/ movies. The time I have noticed objectionable blooming is if you are watching from off axis, but when sitting right in front whatever blooming that is present I don't find it least bit objectionable. At 1080p @60Hz, the TV has like 19ms input lag which is very good (in gaming mode), it it also supports [email protected] (older Sony 900, 850 etc you had to force the resolution, but for this TV it offers native support.) [email protected] would have even less input lag. I didn't play Witcher 3 at 120Hz because the game engine caps at 60fps, but my son did play Fortnite at 120Hz and it looked silky smooth on this TV. (RTX2060 card) (but that's probably also true of the Samsung as well)

As for Dolby Vision, HDR stuff on Netflix and Amazon I think looks superior to what I get with my Roku for Dolby Vision content, and I prefer the internal App , picture in my mind looks stunning on this TV with Dolby Vision. I haven't watched anything in full, but have sample several dolby vision stuff on shows I have already watched and it looks very nice. For about 4 to 5 days last week the Netflix app had some server side problem at Netflix and didn't work, but they have fixed that problem now. Hopefully its a onetime problem!

I can't compare the Samsung, but the Samsung is more expensive . When I was choosing I was picking between the 55q8fn and this sony 55x950g , I ended up going with the Sony since I prefer the natural colors on Sony (also for q8fn read it couldn't do black and white well, it had some weird magenta shading gradient across the screen) Android was a minus in my book for the Sony since I owned 65x850d and 65x850f and I thought android was too buggy and laggy, but they have made huge improvements for the x950g android performance, its now a joy to use. Unfortunately I still do see dropped frames for YouTubeTV (prefer Roku) But for Netflix and Amazon performance seems very great with Dolby Vision content looking stunning to me.
badcatsclaws and Sensamix like this.
post #1582 of 3201 Old 04-10-2019, 04:29 PM

I really like my Q9FN. It has great colors and blacks and no blooming, but I'd love to have Dolby Vision and Atmos support for the future.

Do you guys think it's really that important?

Atmos is not available in spanish, so it's not a huge deal not to have it, but it does sound great. I tried a demo once and was impressed.

On the other hand the Sony has more reflections, lower contrast and worst colors. The image doesn't wow me as much as Samsung, but it does have all HDR support.

post #1583 of 3201 Old 04-10-2019, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 62
For 950G owners. When watching native apps like netflix, we are unable to change any of the WIDE MODE settings. However, while watching netflix, my display area setting is set to +1. Is this the same for everyone?
post #1584 of 3201 Old 04-10-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencc3 View Post
For 950G owners. When watching native apps like netflix, we are unable to change any of the WIDE MODE settings. However, while watching netflix, my display area setting is set to +1. Is this the same for everyone?

Netflix calibrated mode?
post #1585 of 3201 Old 04-11-2019, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencc3 View Post

Yes same here on 75 X950G: +1 appears to be the default setting for Sony Android TV native apps and is not changeable (same as X900F afaik).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1586 of 3201 Old 04-11-2019, 12:21 PM

No one is speaking about HDR performance?

Vincents review says Sony clips highlights, and colors dont pop as on Samsung QLEDs.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk
post #1587 of 3201 Old 04-11-2019, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quick question for the group (that I am sure has come up before...i ijust cant figure out how to search within this thread). JUst installed today. Apple TV 4K says HDR won't work due to display settings. Wants picture settings to be set to "deep" or something like that. Has anyone figured out the right settings for Apple TV 4K to work in HDR mode? Thanks.
post #1588 of 3201 Old 04-11-2019, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Quick question for the group (that I am sure has come up before...i ijust cant figure out how to search within this thread). JUst installed today. Apple TV 4K says HDR won't work due to display settings. Wants picture settings to be set to "deep" or something like that. Has anyone figured out the right settings for Apple TV 4K to work in HDR mode? Thanks.
First make sure you assign the HDMI input thatvthe Apple TV is connected to “enhanced” under input settings on the TV. It defaults each input to standard which won’t allow HDR or 4K signals through.
post #1589 of 3201 Old 04-11-2019, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Been thinking about getting the x950g or Samsung Q70R. The only gripe I have about the Sony is the dark corners that some reviewers have mentioned. Some YouTube reviews of this TV also show dark corners. Anyone else notice this?
post #1590 of 3201 Old 04-11-2019, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon F View Post
First make sure you assign the HDMI input thatvthe Apple TV is connected to “enhanced” under input settings on the TV. It defaults each input to standard which won’t allow HDR or 4K signals through.
Thank you. Sony changed the menus for 2019 and I am having trouble finding that option in the settings menu. Anyone with a X950G know where I go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page