2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 56 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 906Likes

post #1651 of 2201 Old 04-19-2019, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensamix View Post
Let's see if someone can confirm it.

I'm sure rtings did a throughout testing, but I'm asking anyway because it's quite strange leaving DTS out.

Enviado desde mi EML-L09 mediante Tapatalk

Shoot a message to @ababcock (they are on this forum and have been active on the Q90R thread lately if you weren't aware) or a message on twitter.
ababcock and Sensamix like this.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro

Last edited by Coercion Shaman; 04-19-2019 at 04:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 2201 Old 04-19-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2704
Quote:
Let's see if someone can confirm it.

I'm sure rtings did a throughout testing, but I'm asking anyway because it's quite strange leaving DTS out.

Guess I'm somewhat confused as to the situation where this would be needed? If your audio device (soundbar or AVR) is eARC capable, wouldn't you just connect all your devices to it vice the TV? Isuppose if you are using a soundbar and it doesn't have enough inputs? If you are talking about the streaming services in the Sony then any DTS limitation would be related to the Android TV app vice the TV I would think. Just curious (and a bit confused) as to the situation where this would be a limiting factor....

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #1653 of 2201 Old 04-19-2019, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
Guess I'm somewhat confused as to the situation where this would be needed? If your audio device (soundbar or AVR) is eARC capable, wouldn't you just connect all your devices to it vice the TV? Isuppose if you are using a soundbar and it doesn't have enough inputs? If you are talking about the streaming services in the Sony then any DTS limitation would be related to the Android TV app vice the TV I would think. Just curious (and a bit confused) as to the situation where this would be a limiting factor....
It depends. I'd probably use a PS5/Xbox as my 4K bluray player, and that has to be connected to the TV directly for the low input lag.

Also, as you mentioned, some soundbars only have one HDMI.

Then, you can also connect a USB hardrive to the TV and play a downloaded movie with DTS sound doing passthrough through the TV.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1654 of 2201 Old 04-19-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2704
Quote:
It depends. I'd probably use a PS5/Xbox as my 4K bluray player, and that has to be connected to the TV directly for the low input lag.

Also, as you mentioned, some soundbars only have one HDMI.

Then, you can also connect a USB hardrive to the TV and play a downloaded movie with DTS sound doing passthrough through the TV.

Fair enough...I don't have anything other than the single HDMI cable connecting my 950 via eARC (HDMI 3) to my Denon so I can't test for you. Good luck with your quest for an answer.
Sensamix likes this.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #1655 of 2201 Old 04-19-2019, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Rtings review says the 950G has no DTS passthrough to a soundbar.

Is this true? Has anyone tried it?

I guess it's true if they say so, but that's a big issue. And I mean for plain old DTS, not DTS-HD or DTS-X.

That test is specifically for DTS passthrough over standard ARC, not eARC. The X950G will passthrough DTS over eARC, but for some reason it doesn't work over regular ARC, which is surprising, as it worked on the X900F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
Shoot a message to @ababcock (they are on this forum and have been active on the Q90R thread lately if you weren't aware) or a message on twitter.
I can't promise I'll be able to get to every question, but if you tag me here I will do my best to get back to you.

RTINGS.com

Last edited by ababcock; 04-19-2019 at 09:05 AM.
post #1656 of 2201 Old 04-19-2019, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ababcock View Post
I can't promise I'll be able to get to every question, but if you tag me here I will do my best to get back to you.

Which was exactly why I tagged you! We appreciate your being here, good sir.
ababcock, Lyner and Sensamix like this.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #1657 of 2201 Old 04-19-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ababcock View Post
That test is specifically for DTS passthrough over standard ARC, not eARC. The X950G will passthrough DTS over eARC, but for some reason it doesn't work over regular ARC, which is surprising, as it worked on the X900F.

Thanks!

So I guess the only requirement would be having a soundbar with earc. Then DTS passthrough would work.

post #1658 of 2201 Old 04-19-2019, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Thanks!

So I guess the only requirement would be having a soundbar with earc. Then DTS passthrough would work.

Yep!
Sensamix likes this.

RTINGS.com
post #1659 of 2201 Old 04-19-2019, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6394 Post(s)
Liked: 6393
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Kuul A View Post
Depends on what you mean by "replacing." I suspect there won't be a 900G, so for this year the 950G is Sony's current offering in that general range, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a 900H in 2020.

I'm seeing lots of great deals on 2018 Samsungs and Vizios over the past couple of months, but very few on the 850F and 900F. It doesn't seem like Sony is very interested in moving them off store shelves any faster than usual.
Look how pricey the 950G is, no reason to lower the price on the 900F. Probably not a ton of stock around either.

---These great deals are driven by companies paying dealers to lower there price for client acquisition. Sony watches there product line to close to allow this, someone tries to run a super sale on a Sony watch that dealer get cut off....

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 04-19-2019 at 09:50 AM.
post #1660 of 2201 Old 04-19-2019, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here's an odd issue I'm having. I'm using the "Custom" picture mode for the TV input (DirecTV).

Many times, when I turn the set on, the settings will show that I'm in Custom mode, but I'm clearly not. The screen is much brighter, and contrast is off the charts, compared to the self-calibrated settings I'm using. If I change to any different setting (Photo, for example), then come back to Custom, everything is back to normal.

Is anyone else seeing this? Thanks.
post #1661 of 2201 Old 04-20-2019, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post
I'd like to ask a favor of anyone with the 65 inch model of the 950G. I'd like to know the distance between the inside of the feet at the rear of the TV; in other words, the size of the opening, not the size including the feet themselves. I'm trying to see if I can slide a Sonos Playbase through there. My current 900F is about a half inch too narrow! Many thanks!
I've got a 65 inch 950G. The measurement between the legs where they rest on my table is a hair over 28 inches. The legs taper in slightly as they go up towards the TV, so by the time they are at the bottom edge of the TV, the legs are a hair under 28 inches.

Denon X4400H | Outlaw Model 5000 | Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers RAAL Tweeter l/r | SVS Ultra center | SVS Prime Satellite surrounds | 2 x SVS SB2000 subs | Sony-XBR-65X950G
post #1662 of 2201 Old 04-20-2019, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencc3 View Post
I think you will only be able to get RGB @1080 @120Hz. YCBr is not even an option at that setting on PC.
Yet, rtings claims it's supported. https://www.rtings.com/tv/discussion...120-with-4-4-4
post #1663 of 2201 Old 04-20-2019, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaviator View Post
Hello,
For those of you that frequent both the 950G and 900F forum, i have posted these similar questions in the 900F forum...but I wanted to specifically ask this forum my questions in case there are people that can offer advice that don't frequent the 900F forums.

I am soon in the market for a 75". This will be our first big screen TV. We mostly watch cable TV through the week, with movies being watched on the weekends. We almost always have some kind of light on in the living room as watching in complete darkness tends to stress our eyes out. If we are watching at night we usually have our living room lamp on a dim setting. I would also consider installing bias lighting on any set we would get.

Regarding the 950G in the 75" size.....is the lighter contrast being talked about compared to the 900F really that noticeable to the average viewer? If we were using a dim lamp or bias lighting while watching at night....would one even probably notice?

I have heard that Dolby Vision might be better on the 950G compared to the 900F, so that is something that is on my mind. I also understand the TV in general responds faster due to having a faster chip.

I guess I'm ultimately trying to determine if the negatives I've heard about in the 950G at 75" (contrast/black levels) is really that big of a deal to an average viewer? The 900F is obviously a better price point....but I also kinda hate the idea of buying an older model if the newer model has more improvements compared to negatives.

Also in the running are the Samsung Q8FN or Q70/Q80. They always look impressive in the stores, but I know that can be deceiving from what I understand. I tend to have the line of thinking that a lot of movies are shot on Sony camera systems, so those guys probably have the best understanding of how a picture should look. The Samsung's do draw you in though when you see them. It's a really hard decision when you're talking spending this much money on something.

I appreciate any advice I can get. Thanks.
if you have bias lightening or little light in the room 900f 950g are ok depend your budget , booth are good , if you like deep black nice punchy color and higher contrast and better gaming performance go q8fn . on the sony tv that studio are using they cost about 30k for 30 inch . sony does have better shadow color detail and is more neutral on color compare to samsung. for dolby vision is not ready yet is for 12 bit panel .
bgaviator and Tomek398 like this.
post #1664 of 2201 Old 04-20-2019, 08:06 PM

Whenever 12 bit panels become available then all those who have Dolby Vision now will have the "fake" Dolby Vision if you come to think of it, therefore having the urge to upgrade again to have the "true" cinematic experience.

dwhitton1 likes this.
post #1665 of 2201 Old 04-21-2019, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishAnarchist View Post
Just checked again and Nvidia control panel only gets RGB for [email protected]
post #1666 of 2201 Old 04-22-2019, 04:41 AM
Advanced Member

My BB finally put up a 950G, but only in the 65". They said that the Sony rep will be there the first week of May and they are adding a 75" 950G next to it (where a 75" 900F is currently residing). I will wait the two weeks to be able to see one with the X-Wide to make a decision.

Having said that, the blacks in a lit room looked very good on the 65".

post #1667 of 2201 Old 04-22-2019, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Rtings review says the 950G has no DTS passthrough to a soundbar.

Is this true? Has anyone tried it?

I guess it's true if they say so, but that's a big issue. And I mean for plain old DTS, not DTS-HD or DTS-X.

See if this solution helps:
DTS Is not Output from DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) or HDMI (ARC)
https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...icles/00203649

The main difference between this and the TV's default settings is to turn off the "System sounds"

Of course you also need to make sure the source is setup to deliver Bitstream audio (DTS format) to the TV.
post #1668 of 2201 Old 04-22-2019, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
My BB finally put up a 950G, but only in the 65". They said that the Sony rep will be there the first week of May and they are adding a 75" 950G next to it (where a 75" 900F is currently residing). I will wait the two weeks to be able to see one with the X-Wide to make a decision.

Having said that, the blacks in a lit room looked very good on the 65".
If you move 25 degrees, the colors get washed out on the 65". If that doesn't bother you, this is a good tv. I'm interested in the 75 / 85.
post #1669 of 2201 Old 04-23-2019, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
If you move 25 degrees, the colors get washed out on the 65". If that doesn't bother you, this is a good tv. I'm interested in the 75 / 85.

I want a 75" as well.. That is why I am waiting to see one with the X-wide on display to see how it looks by comparison.

post #1670 of 2201 Old 04-23-2019, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
post #1671 of 2201 Old 04-23-2019, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm more of a lurker than a poster but I am desperate for help. I just got this TV and it's my first Sony (had Samsungs for a long time) so I've been having a hard time understanding what im doing in the menus and what not. Hell, it took me a full weekend to realize I didn't have the HDMI ports set to advanced (I was raving about how good the TV was before that lol). Anyways, my problem is this. I have an Xbox One X and I am trying to understand how to get Dolby Vision running. In the Netflix app via the xbox, several shows run Dolby Vision and its obvious when its on because its listed as its own display mode (like vivid, cinema, photo,etc.). That said, I have several movies on Vudu as well as physical 4k Blurays which support Dolby Vision. I can't get them to enable either via the discs or Vudu. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a menu trick to enable it? I even used the Vudu app through the TV and still no Dolby Vision love. I feel like I have to be missing something.

Also, standard HDR10. It looks to be on in several apps and in some games but how do I know its actually running? Is there an easy way to tell if its rendering in HDR or not? Would love some help from the community figuring out this new adventure
post #1672 of 2201 Old 04-24-2019, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone. I'm from germany and this is my first Sony TV. Thanks to the posts in this thread^^ And i am excited what the future will bring about this TV
post #1673 of 2201 Old 04-24-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portudork View Post
Hi,

I'm more of a lurker than a poster but I am desperate for help. I just got this TV and it's my first Sony (had Samsungs for a long time) so I've been having a hard time understanding what im doing in the menus and what not. Hell, it took me a full weekend to realize I didn't have the HDMI ports set to advanced (I was raving about how good the TV was before that lol). Anyways, my problem is this. I have an Xbox One X and I am trying to understand how to get Dolby Vision running. In the Netflix app via the xbox, several shows run Dolby Vision and its obvious when its on because its listed as its own display mode (like vivid, cinema, photo,etc.). That said, I have several movies on Vudu as well as physical 4k Blurays which support Dolby Vision. I can't get them to enable either via the discs or Vudu. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a menu trick to enable it? I even used the Vudu app through the TV and still no Dolby Vision love. I feel like I have to be missing something.

Also, standard HDR10. It looks to be on in several apps and in some games but how do I know its actually running? Is there an easy way to tell if its rendering in HDR or not? Would love some help from the community figuring out this new adventure [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
I go to picture settings and then in the upper right corner must be shown the HDR logo if HDR content is playing
post #1674 of 2201 Old 04-24-2019, 04:39 PM

Something else I do not understand: When playing on the PS4 I see a certain motion blur at 60fps games. There is a multiplayer shooter, when you die, you can watch the other players from the ego perspective. Strangely, then the picture is what I see clearly and without motion blur as on the plasma TV. How can that be? On the setup, it can not be, because everything goes on the same HDMI cable to the TV
post #1675 of 2201 Old 04-24-2019, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I get that this is the 950G thread but anyone have any details on the 800/850G yet? Does anyone know how the processors on the 800/850G compare to the 950G processor? Only in reference to the Android TV performance, is the new 800/850G going to be as powerful as the 950G or only as powerful as the 900F (maybe even lower)?
post #1676 of 2201 Old 04-25-2019, 01:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBenji View Post
I get that this is the 950G thread but anyone have any details on the 800/850G yet? Does anyone know how the processors on the 800/850G compare to the 950G processor? Only in reference to the Android TV performance, is the new 800/850G going to be as powerful as the 950G or only as powerful as the 900F (maybe even lower)?
I've posted about that a couple of times already (in the relevant topics). But here from the horse's mouth:

(but a nice memory shortcut seems to be: does it have eARC? If yes then it also has the new processor)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-04-25-10h20m56s863.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	2557968  
iatacs19 and LondonBenji like this.
post #1677 of 2201 Old 04-25-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithras1 View Post
I've posted about that a couple of times already (in the relevant topics). But here from the horse's mouth:

(but a nice memory shortcut seems to be: does it have eARC? If yes then it also has the new processor)

I'm not entirely sure what that all means, looks like it's talking about a new processor but I'm not entirely sure what about it they are saying....
post #1678 of 2201 Old 04-25-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
I'm not entirely sure what that all means, looks like it's talking about a new processor but I'm not entirely sure what about it they are saying....
You were asking about how the processor in the 850 will compare to the 950. The screenshot shows that the 850 will have the same processor as the 950.
post #1679 of 2201 Old 04-25-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
You were asking about how the processor in the 850 will compare to the 950. The screenshot shows that the 850 will have the same processor as the 950.
Okay, some quick Google translating:

"Save up to 60% on launching apps and returning to the home menu compared to previous Sony Android TV's.

Also makes for an even better TV experience."

I am guessing then that it seems to be suggesting that specifically YouTube/Netflix/Home Menu will be 50/60/30% faster than previous Sony Android TVs as well. If that's the case then this is good news for those who want Android TV, want it to be as fast as the 950G but don't want a super high end TV like that. They just want a better Android TV experience with a more modern processor.
iatacs19 likes this.
post #1680 of 2201 Old 04-25-2019, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Okay, some quick Google translating:

"Save up to 60% on launching apps and returning to the home menu compared to previous Sony Android TV's.

Also makes for an even better TV experience."

I am guessing then that it seems to be suggesting that specifically YouTube/Netflix/Home Menu will be 50/60/30% faster than previous Sony Android TVs as well. If that's the case then this is good news for those who want Android TV, want it to be as fast as the 950G but don't want a super high end TV like that. They just want a better Android TV experience with a more modern processor.
There normally hasn't been any difference between top of the line and entry model Android TV by Sony. This year seems to mark a change: the only models with the upgrade SoC are (besides the A9F and Z9F): A9G, Z9G, X950G and X850G (as listed on the sheet).
Perhaps they felt the upgrade to Oreo made the previous SoC still acceptable in performance. The A8G, X900G (49" only, available in Europe for one) are examples of models positioned above the X850G yet didn't get an upgrade. They for example also still have two instead of four full bandwidth HDMI 2.0 ports. Models with the new processor are on a new platform with four full (18Gbps) bandwidth HDMI ports.

That's what makes the availability of eARC an easy shortcut to check if a model has the new processor (I believe the old one is incapable/incompatible).

Last edited by mithras1; 04-25-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page