2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 58 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1002Likes

post #1711 of 2613 Old 05-02-2019, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
That is completely normal and is caused by the x-wide angle layer. My Z9F reflects the same way.
Thanks BRAC.
I assume you figured out a way to just ignore it while watching? I'm wondering how bad this is and if I can live with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 2613 Old 05-02-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_Y View Post
If that's not the pattern of the curtains on the windows opposite the tv, and if it's plainly visible while playing content in the day time, I'd say something is definitely off.

We have a large tv in the family room as well. You may need quite different sdr brightness settings for daylight viewing and night.
unfortunately my shades are completely flat. no patterns. pattern is coming from the TV (Even when off)
post #1713 of 2613 Old 05-02-2019, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moses View Post
Hi,
I got the new 85 inch TV from Sony yesterday - xbr-85x950G.
At night, the picture is wonderful.
However, as soon as there is a light source in the room, or light form the outside - wavy reflections appear on the screen (even when it is off - so probably the physical screen).
Is this common, should I ask for a replacement or is that just the way it is?

Thank you
Joey
Correct, the reflection handling on this TV is average at best. That is the way it is. Max out the brightness to overcome it or go buy a Vizio quantum or Samsung Q80. They handle reflections better. The waves you see is the "X-wide" Viewing Layer. It actually makes Contrast worse.

Quote:
Couple of questions; How did you watch via the Netflix app? Also, regardless of the app you used- It's not an HDR show. Are you saying you had to MAX the brightness, and make all those tweaks to your sdr picture settings to get an acceptable picture for GOT?

Thanks!
HBONOW APP through Windows 10. I use my 55inch x950g as a Computer Monitor Mainly. Also have PS4 Pro connected to it. You gotta max the brightness and activate all of Sony's proprietary algorithms to get the best SDR picture in my opinion. I don't mess with HDR or Dolby Vision settings.
Ted99 likes this.

Last edited by Iluv4k; 05-02-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1714 of 2613 Old 05-02-2019, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 608
2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

*Note: copied and pasted from the duplicate thread that was just closed before I could post.

Quote:
Thanks BRAC.

I assume you figured out a way to just ignore it while watching? I'm wondering how bad this is and if I can live with it.

It’s impossible to ignore. All I did was try to eliminate as much of the light entering the room as I could. It helped a lot!

This is also one of the reasons why I have a Q90r being delivered next week to compare.
Ted99, krholmberg and shoman94 like this.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #1715 of 2613 Old 05-02-2019, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello! could you record a video - how does this tv work with ps4
post #1716 of 2613 Old 05-02-2019, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked: 6685
Quote:
Well, my 75X940E died. Replacement 75X950G is on the way, so checking in to my new home I guess.

Wow. It's taken until pg. 22 before someone actually has the tv..
Warranty replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithras1 View Post
Warranty replacement? The 75Z9F would be a more like-for-like replacement than the X950G ...
That is what I was thinking.

Quote:
Hi,
However, as soon as there is a light source in the room, or light form the outside - wavy reflections appear on the screen (even when it is off - so probably the physical screen).
If everything esle is good with it, I would keep it, you are never going to get something perfectly flat.
post #1717 of 2613 Old 05-02-2019, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Hi,

Thank you

Joey
Does the reflections appear a lot when the TV is on?

Enviado desde mi EML-L09 mediante Tapatalk
post #1718 of 2613 Old 05-02-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensamix View Post
Does the reflections appear a lot when the TV is on?

Yes, this is by far the most reflective TV I've owned.
Ted99 and Sensamix like this.
post #1719 of 2613 Old 05-02-2019, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Yes, this is by far the most reflective TV I've owned.
It's a shame. I was thinking of buying this TV further down the line, but reflections would be a huge problem in my living room.

Ted99 likes this.
post #1720 of 2613 Old 05-03-2019, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 48
So I've been through a lot of this thread, not the whole thing but a lot of it and it doesn't really seem like very many folks actually have one of these setup in their home yet to report how it's handling black levels.

I'd likely be getting a 65 to replace my plasma as 75 is borderline too big for my space, so X-Wide coating wouldn't be an issue on the 65. It seems that creates a highly reflective TV both from comments here and other places. Blooming is also a problem from what I've seen of professional reviews, not enough dimming zones perhaps?

Starting to think I need to wait another year to find an adequate replacement for my plasma.
post #1721 of 2613 Old 05-03-2019, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Warranty replacement?

That is what I was thinking.

If everything esle is good with it, I would keep it, you are never going to get something perfectly flat.
I agree that the 75Z9F would have been a more appropriate replacement. It was an out of Sony warranty, BestBuy extended warranty situation. BestBuy will only go as high as you paid, and I got an exceptional deal on the 940E.

Luke
post #1722 of 2613 Old 05-03-2019, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
I agree that the 75Z9F would have been a more appropriate replacement. It was an out of Sony warranty, BestBuy extended warranty situation. BestBuy will only go as high as you paid, and I got an exceptional deal on the 940E.

Hard to complain about either way considering the previous set died. You are one of those that did well to buy the extended warrant.. I know they allow you to pay the difference to a more expensive set if you so choose.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #1723 of 2613 Old 05-03-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post
So I've been through a lot of this thread, not the whole thing but a lot of it and it doesn't really seem like very many folks actually have one of these setup in their home yet to report how it's handling black levels.

I'd likely be getting a 65 to replace my plasma as 75 is borderline too big for my space, so X-Wide coating wouldn't be an issue on the 65. It seems that creates a highly reflective TV both from comments here and other places. Blooming is also a problem from what I've seen of professional reviews, not enough dimming zones perhaps?

Starting to think I need to wait another year to find an adequate replacement for my plasma.
A couple of comments from people replacing plasma sets below that might be helpful. Coming from plasma, one thing you won't be disappointed with is light output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post
I replaced a plasma with this set and everyone in the house comments on how much more black the screen gets. Gaps between commercial breaks get so black the first day we kept thinking the set had powered off because the plasma was much more gray until you turned it off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hey all, just have a comment from an uneducated technology geek...so I decided to replace by 15 year old Pioneer Plasma TV and purchased a 75" Samsung Q70R. It's fine, but my wife hates the period stutter/judder (don't know the right term) on regular TV channels. We watched a movie on Apple TV in HDR, it was good, but not amazing. Bottom line is my wife is just "eh" with the Samsung....so I decided I would purchase a 75" Sony x950g and then see what she thought....and just return the Samsung or the Sony. Fast forward to today, setup the Sony right in front of the Samsung and the first thing I notice is the glare.....the glare on the Sony is much more than the Samsung, they have some anti-glare finish on the 70R that tones down the glare. I expected my wife to hate the Sony as a result, but when she came in she was amazed at home much better the picture looked! She commented that the picture was so much more real looking, with much more depth and richness to it. I then put on Aquaman on AppleTV after turning on Dolby Vision and holy crap, it was SOOO much more vibrant than the Samsung, honestly its not even close.

Bottom line, Samsung is going back, we are keeping the 950G. It may not be perfect, but its way better (in our opinion) than the Samsung.

Luke
post #1724 of 2613 Old 05-03-2019, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A couple of comments from people replacing plasma sets below that might be helpful. Coming from plasma, one thing you won't be disappointed with is light output.
Thanks, don't think I can do Samsung either. We have a KS8000 that I have tweaked and the colors look good not great. All their newer stuff has a strong bent towards over saturation.

Blacks between commercials honestly are totally meaningless. The backlight probably goes to zero. How a TV handles varied content on the screen simultaneously matters.

I am worried that I will be disappointed in actual viewing contrast ratios. My VT50 is a pretty solid set but burn in is slowly getting worse.
7iron likes this.
post #1725 of 2613 Old 05-03-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
Hard to complain about either way considering the previous set died. You are one of those that did well to buy the extended warrant.. I know they allow you to pay the difference to a more expensive set if you so choose.
Yep. I considered it. But with the deal I got on the 940E, the upgrade would still have been a considerable addition. Between that, the fact that the less than 2 year old 940E died, and a longer wait for the Z9F, I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Anyway, sad as I was to see that tv go, we've been without our great room tv too long, ready to move on. 75X950G being delivered today!

Luke
post #1726 of 2613 Old 05-03-2019, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
75X950G being delivered today!
Congratulations.

Look forward to hearing your impressions of the X-Wide. Still trying to decide between a 75Z9F, 75950G and a 75Q90R. I haven't been able to see the X-Wide tech on the Sony myself in person yet. With what you are buying and the set that you are coming from, your thoughts and comparison will be relevant to me.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #1727 of 2613 Old 05-03-2019, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked: 6685
Quote:
Ah ...yes.......Just like they where giving away the Z9D..... At least you where covered
post #1728 of 2613 Old 05-03-2019, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Thanks, don't think I can do Samsung either. We have a KS8000 that I have tweaked and the colors look good not great. All their newer stuff has a strong bent towards over saturation.

Blacks between commercials honestly are totally meaningless. The backlight probably goes to zero. How a TV handles varied content on the screen simultaneously matters.

I am worried that I will be disappointed in actual viewing contrast ratios. My VT50 is a pretty solid set but burn in is slowly getting worse.
That's the problem with these forum "experts" that never see a TV in person. They like watching videos of white boxes moving around a black screen, and glancing at spec sheets if their attention span can last long enough. Real life application matters.
post #1729 of 2613 Old 05-03-2019, 08:06 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:

I had to go for a 65 since the 75 wouldn't fit and replaced a Panasonic plasma. No regrets and a very good upgrade. I've watched OTA, cable, optical media and streaming content...from SD through 4K and impressed how it handles the different content. I have an XBOX One S connected to it but rarely use it (come to think of it, no one else does either)...if I game then I do it on a desktop computer using real monitors (multi) and not a TV.

Don't know what the fixation is with using the wrong tool for the job and wanting to sit 3 feet away from an 85" TV.

Get a real monitor kids.
6SpeedTA95 likes this.

Last edited by IGotB&; 05-04-2019 at 12:39 PM.
post #1730 of 2613 Old 05-03-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotB& View Post
That's the problem with these forum "experts" that never see a TV in person. They like watching videos of white boxes moving around a black screen, and glancing at spec sheets if their attention span can last long enough. Real life application matters.
Some of those specs are valuable in determining capabilities of a TV but they can also be misleading with real world content. How black a screen gets with no content, doesn't really tell me anything about it's performance. How does it do in a scene with starts and a moon? Or a snow capped mountain backed by blue skies sitting above a lake? How does it handle motion? You get the point.
Quote:
I had to go for a 65 since the 75 wouldn't fit and replaced a Panasonic plasma. No regrets and a very good upgrade. I've watched OTA, cable, optical media and streaming content...from SD through 4K and impressed how it handles the different content. I have an XBOX One S connected to it but rarely use it (come to think of it, no one else does either)...if I game then I do it on a desktop computer using real monitors (multi) and not a TV.

Don't know what the fixation is with using the wrong tool for the job and wanting to sit 3 feet away from a 85" TV.

Get a real monitor kids.
May I ask which plasma you had? I ask because while my S50 was a good TV there's a marked upgrade in PQ to my 55VT50, both in blacks and overall brightness.

65 is a 10 inch upgrade and we sit about 10 feet from the screen, I'd like to go for a 75, but I think I'd have problems putting my main speakers that wide as narrow as my room is.
post #1731 of 2613 Old 05-03-2019, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I too switched from a Panasonic 55VT50 plasma to this tv and I am happy, that the blacks are blacker than on the plasma, but only with local dimming. Without I see many white clouds on the screen, but only when the whole screen is black, like when the tv gets no signal. The only thing that bothers me is the gaming performance with ps4 because of the 120hz panel. I want 60hz BFI in game mode I asked sony on there web site and they dont know if this will be in future firmware upgrades.
post #1732 of 2613 Old 05-04-2019, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
May I ask which plasma you had? I ask because while my S50 was a good TV there's a marked upgrade in PQ to my 55VT50, both in blacks and overall brightness.

65 is a 10 inch upgrade and we sit about 10 feet from the screen, I'd like to go for a 75, but I think I'd have problems putting my main speakers that wide as narrow as my room is.

I have the similar, but slightly inferior 55GT50. I don't own an X950G, but do also own an X930E, which is fairly similar to the X950G, albeit a bit brighter. I think you will be pleased overall moving to the LCD, but will notice some deficiencies compared to the plasma. Beyond the blooming that is not obviously not present on the plasma, LCD motion is not as natural. Stuttering during wide panning shots for 24 Hz content is particularly annoying. Unfortunately, neither of the current display technologies, OLED and LCD, offer the level of motion resolution and smoothness as plasma.
6SpeedTA95 and Lyner like this.
post #1733 of 2613 Old 05-04-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Congratulations.

Look forward to hearing your impressions of the X-Wide. Still trying to decide between a 75Z9F, 75950G and a 75Q90R. I haven't been able to see the X-Wide tech on the Sony myself in person yet. With what you are buying and the set that you are coming from, your thoughts and comparison will be relevant to me.
Installed yesterday, initial impressions. First I need to say that this TV is in a great room/family room. There is a row of glass doors off to one side. We sometimes use the shades but they are not really "darkening" shades, and the sun doesn't shine directly on the TV. It is open to the kitchen, and there are windows there as well. We watch in the evening and at night with some dimmed lamps that aren't in a reflection path for the TV. Just trying to make it clear that this is not a "home theater" environment, and that TV brightness and reflective considerations are important to me.

We watch via an AppleTV4K or occasional discs on a UBP-X800. We listen via an HT-ST5000. It's rare that we are lights out, watching a movie on disc. I also don't and won't be putting up any test screens, or running any known "torture test" scenes to look for "flaws". I just try to enjoy my TVs..

The mount location is several inches lower than it is on the 940E. Enough that it was outside the adjustment range and necessitated moving the wall mount down.

The little bit that I heard from the speakers is an improvement from the 940E. But you might not gain much if it isn't near the wall, as 2 new speakers are on the back.

The little bit I used the OS it seemed much snappier and responsive than the OS on the 940E. I haven't used any of the internal apps.

The wide angle viewing is WAY better than it was on my 940E. I have some seating that is off to the side, and the viewing from there is greatly improved.

This TV is BRIGHT, just as the 940E was. If you're putting one in a bright room, no worries, It'll be great.

Motion handling is GREAT. Still looking into a couple settings that weren't on the 940E, but seems even better.

Color at least in cinema and custom setting looks very good. Fairly accurate looking, with just the right amount of "pop" for me.

Contrast- Looks good to me. I'm not at all disappointed coming from the 940E. Did I give up a little? Possibly. Probably. But in 90% of our viewing I just wouldn't notice. I'll take the WAY better viewing angle, updated connectivity, and longer support for what I gave up.

Blooming- Again, in 90% of our viewing it's not an issue. I did put the lights out to watch some Sci-Fi space scenes and other material for a bit last night. Was there some blooming? Yes. Was it worse than on the 940E? Possibly. Not terribly. Was it nearly as bad as the critical reviews and specs published by reviewers would lead you to believe? No way. Not for our viewing situation.

So, I'm still happy. Is this the TV that many wanted it to be? Maybe not, but it's a great TV.

I'll post what settings I have after I have time to play and tweak a bit more.

Luke
post #1734 of 2613 Old 05-04-2019, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A question about using this TV with wireless headphones.

I have Sony h.ear MDR100ABN wireless BT headphones. So, I decided to try it with this TV. Switched the headphones to pairing mode, placed them next to the TV, went to TV's BT menu, asked it to add a new device, waited till it discovered the headphones, paired them. Everything went fine. And the headphones worked fine immediately after pairing.

Next day I want to use these headphones with the TV again. So, naturally, I turn on the headphones. They don't connect to the TV right away (which I guess is normal). So, I open the TV's BT menu. My "h.ear MDR100ABN" entry is still listed there as a paired device (but not connected). Again, everything as it should be.

So, I select the "h.ear MDR100ABN" entry and the next menu offers me a "Connect" command. I select "Connect", but nothing happens. Regardless of how many times I click "Connect", it just highlights but does nothing.

I made sure that at that moment the headphones were not connected to anything else. However, the TV failed to connect with them even after an explicit "Conect" command.

What gives? How do I connect already pared BT headphones to this TV?

I tried powering everything down and up, restarting, switching headphones to "discoverable" mode - it didn't help. Unpairing and then re-pairing the headphones from scratch helped (they worked immediately after pairing), but sometimes it takes a very long time for the TV to discover the headphones. But once I power off the headphones, the same problem returns. (Of course, having to unpair and re-pair every time is unacceptable anyway.)

The only partial workaround I found is powering off the BT on the TV and then powering it on again. Sometimes, when TV's BT is switched on it suddenly connects to the headphones. But it helps only occasionally.

So, what am I doing wrong here?

Best regards,
Andrey

Last edited by AndreyT; 05-04-2019 at 10:32 AM.
post #1735 of 2613 Old 05-04-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
I have the similar, but slightly inferior 55GT50. I don't own an X950G, but do also own an X930E, which is fairly similar to the X950G, albeit a bit brighter. I think you will be pleased overall moving to the LCD, but will notice some deficiencies compared to the plasma. Beyond the blooming that is not obviously not present on the plasma, LCD motion is not as natural. Stuttering during wide panning shots for 24 Hz content is particularly annoying. Unfortunately, neither of the current display technologies, OLED and LCD, offer the level of motion resolution and smoothness as plasma.
Appreciate the reply
post #1736 of 2613 Old 05-04-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 329
My previous reply may have seemed overly negative, so I want to add some of the benefits of moving from plasma to a high end LCD. 4k/HDR content will provide a "wow" factor that exceeds anything that can be displayed by the plasma. If you use the TV for games, the dramatically higher brightness, reduced input lag, and lack of IR/burn in contribute to a significantly better gaming experience.

Last edited by JD23; 05-04-2019 at 01:41 PM.
post #1737 of 2613 Old 05-04-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Some of those specs are valuable in determining capabilities of a TV but they can also be misleading with real world content. How black a screen gets with no content, doesn't really tell me anything about it's performance. How does it do in a scene with starts and a moon? Or a snow capped mountain backed by blue skies sitting above a lake? How does it handle motion? You get the point.

Didn't mean to say specs are worthless, they have their place. People like to hit compare on a web page and pick bigger numbers without understanding the whole solution.

Had one of the V series Panasonics.

If you're 10 feet away and can manage the 75, that's your better bet. But make sure you look at the difference in the wide mode in the latter model if you really need it.
You don't want to mess with your speaker placement if done correctly. I see lots of pictures with bad speaker placement. Fashion before function.
6SpeedTA95 likes this.
post #1738 of 2613 Old 05-04-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Didn't mean to say specs are worthless, they have their place. People like to hit compare on a web page and pick bigger numbers without understanding the whole solution.

Had one of the V series Panasonics.

If you're 10 feet away and can manage the 75, that's your better bet. But make sure you look at the difference in the wide mode in the latter model if you really need it.
You don't want to mess with your speaker placement if done correctly. I see lots of pictures with bad speaker placement. Fashion before function.
My room isn't great for speaker placement, it's too damn narrow and I came home from a biz trip a few weeks ago and my wife moved a love seat and a chair right in front of them...needless to say I wasn't amused.

But, I can move the speakers a few more inches apart. I will be mounting the 65 or 75 but man 75 will be tight, the room is only 10ft 6 in wide.
post #1739 of 2613 Old 05-04-2019, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Installed yesterday, initial impressions. First I need to say that this TV is in a great room/family room. There is a row of glass doors off to one side. We sometimes use the shades but they are not really "darkening" shades, and the sun doesn't shine directly on the TV. It is open to the kitchen, and there are windows there as well. We watch in the evening and at night with some dimmed lamps that aren't in a reflection path for the TV. Just trying to make it clear that this is not a "home theater" environment, and that TV brightness and reflective considerations are important to me.

I'll post what settings I have after I have time to play and tweak a bit more.

This was most helpful. Thank you for taking the time. My situation for where the television will reside is very similar.

Just to be clear, it is reflective but it is.... good enough?

I guess this television is still in the running. Hopefully my local BB has the 75" up this week so I can at least see the X-Wide tech, even if in a less than desirable setting.

post #1740 of 2613 Old 05-05-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
This was most helpful. Thank you for taking the time. My situation for where the television will reside is very similar.

Just to be clear, it is reflective but it is.... good enough?

I guess this television is still in the running. Hopefully my local BB has the 75" up this week so I can at least see the X-Wide tech, even if in a less than desirable setting.
It is reflective. But not problematically so for us. Especially with a brightness setting appropriate for a daytime viewing environment.

This morning when the tv was off, I did notice a vertical stripe pattern on the screen similar to what was recently posted by Joey Moses. I would attribute that to the X-Wide layer. But, I do NOT see that at all when content is playing. It's been cloudy, I initially set the brightness at 15 for daytime sdr viewing, lowered it to 10. I think I could lower it further, but have been waiting to see what it's like when its bright and sunny outside.

As for reflections that come from lighting. The room is open to the kitchen and there some island pendants that definitely reflect and show on the screen at night. I think they may reflect a little more than the 940E did, and with more of a rainbow looking "aura" that is probably the X-wide layer. But we have always turned those lights off when watching at night. The overhead can lights in the kitchen are not a problem.

Luke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page