2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 959Likes

post #1741 of 2404 Old 05-05-2019, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Anyone having problems with their soundbar?

Mine stopped playing sound from the TV. The TV recognizes it, turns it on and off with the TV, says “switching audio to external speakers” etc.

But there is no sound.

It’s a brand new soundbar and it was working fine for about two months when it randomly stopped working.

Soundbar works playing via Bluetooth so it’s not broken. And TV plays audio from built in speakers but no sound when external speakers are selected.

Last edited by Sillyrabbit21; 05-05-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 2404 Old 05-06-2019, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_Y View Post
Installed yesterday, initial impressions. First I need to say that this TV is in a great room/family room. There is a row of glass doors off to one side. We sometimes use the shades but they are not really "darkening" shades, and the sun doesn't shine directly on the TV. It is open to the kitchen, and there are windows there as well. We watch in the evening and at night with some dimmed lamps that aren't in a reflection path for the TV. Just trying to make it clear that this is not a "home theater" environment, and that TV brightness and reflective considerations are important to me.

We watch via an AppleTV4K or occasional discs on a UBP-X800. We listen via an HT-ST5000. It's rare that we are lights out, watching a movie on disc. I also don't and won't be putting up any test screens, or running any known "torture test" scenes to look for "flaws". I just try to enjoy my TVs..

The mount location is several inches lower than it is on the 940E. Enough that it was outside the adjustment range and necessitated moving the wall mount down.

The little bit that I heard from the speakers is an improvement from the 940E. But you might not gain much if it isn't near the wall, as 2 new speakers are on the back.

The little bit I used the OS it seemed much snappier and responsive than the OS on the 940E. I haven't used any of the internal apps.

The wide angle viewing is WAY better than it was on my 940E. I have some seating that is off to the side, and the viewing from there is greatly improved.

This TV is BRIGHT, just as the 940E was. If you're putting one in a bright room, no worries, It'll be great.

Motion handling is GREAT. Still looking into a couple settings that weren't on the 940E, but seems even better.

Color at least in cinema and custom setting looks very good. Fairly accurate looking, with just the right amount of "pop" for me.

Contrast- Looks good to me. I'm not at all disappointed coming from the 940E. Did I give up a little? Possibly. Probably. But in 90% of our viewing I just wouldn't notice. I'll take the WAY better viewing angle, updated connectivity, and longer support for what I gave up.

Blooming- Again, in 90% of our viewing it's not an issue. I did put the lights out to watch some Sci-Fi space scenes and other material for a bit last night. Was there some blooming? Yes. Was it worse than on the 940E? Possibly. Not terribly. Was it nearly as bad as the critical reviews and specs published by reviewers would lead you to believe? No way. Not for our viewing situation.

So, I'm still happy. Is this the TV that many wanted it to be? Maybe not, but it's a great TV.

I'll post what settings I have after I have time to play and tweak a bit more.
Thank you for the details and also setting up the context of your observation - which lines up very similarly to mine. It was very helpful as I am in similar situation and seriously considering 75 or 85 X950G around thanksgiving when hopefully price will be better
post #1743 of 2404 Old 05-06-2019, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Got a look at the x950G today, I did noticed some halo/blooming effect on letters just on their demo screen, overall, TV looked beautiful, wouldn't hesitate to buy it, just don't think its the right value. I thought the X900F looked almost as good, initially thought it was the 950G when I saw it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1744 of 2404 Old 05-06-2019, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Does the X950G have macro blocking and posterisation which is visible on OLEDs on compressed content dark scenes?
post #1745 of 2404 Old 05-06-2019, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Recently got the 65" x950g, very happy with it so far. I have a universal learning remote the Sony RMVLZ620 and was trying to teach it a few of the buttons from this new set yet it appears the remote isn't IR based so my universal remote is not grabbing them.

Does anyone know of a recent sony TV remote model with similar buttons that is IR based I could pick up to program my remote? Or perhaps is there a way to change the current remote to make it IR based just for a few minutes while I teach my universal remote some of the missing functions?

Everything else is great, for people asking about eARC I have it setup with a Pioneer receiver that also has eARC and the sound is traveling without any issue. I just had to enable eARC in the settings of both the receiver and TV yet once that was done I was able to get clear audio watching netflix on the TV without using an optical cable.
post #1746 of 2404 Old 05-06-2019, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchedoven View Post
Recently got the 65" x950g, very happy with it so far. I have a universal learning remote the Sony RMVLZ620 and was trying to teach it a few of the buttons from this new set yet it appears the remote isn't IR based so my universal remote is not grabbing them.

Does anyone know of a recent sony TV remote model with similar buttons that is IR based I could pick up to program my remote? Or perhaps is there a way to change the current remote to make it IR based just for a few minutes while I teach my universal remote some of the missing functions?

Everything else is great, for people asking about eARC I have it setup with a Pioneer receiver that also has eARC and the sound is traveling without any issue. I just had to enable eARC in the settings of both the receiver and TV yet once that was done I was able to get clear audio watching netflix on the TV without using an optical cable.
It's funny that you mention the RMVLZ620. I got my X950G a few days ago and wasn't really thrilled with the new remote. I remembered that I had an old sony universal remote stuck away in a drawer so I got it out. Since it's a Sony remote, the default setup for the TV button was for Sony TVs. I found that it works pretty well, although some of the buttons don't have the exact name as the remote supplied with the X950G.

I know that the X950G remote is also bluetooth enabled, so perhaps some of the commands you wanted to teach it were only available via bluetooth? Just guessing here!
post #1747 of 2404 Old 05-06-2019, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Stunning TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post
So I've been through a lot of this thread, not the whole thing but a lot of it and it doesn't really seem like very many folks actually have one of these setup in their home yet to report how it's handling black levels.

I'd likely be getting a 65 to replace my plasma as 75 is borderline too big for my space, so X-Wide coating wouldn't be an issue on the 65. It seems that creates a highly reflective TV both from comments here and other places. Blooming is also a problem from what I've seen of professional reviews, not enough dimming zones perhaps?

Starting to think I need to wait another year to find an adequate replacement for my plasma.

We’ve had the new 65” 950 for 2 weeks. Unless you’re looking to nit pick the smallest details, which many “experts” on here are, this TV is incredible. I’ve been watching various 4k HDR sources and some are breath taking. Right out of the box. If you’re a video professional who tunes displays, I’ll read your professional opinion and see if I agree. For all the other “experts”, put a 950 in your house for 2 weeks and then get back to me.
IGotB& likes this.
post #1748 of 2404 Old 05-06-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensamix View Post
The TV is super reflective. Go to a store and check it out. Also owners here have commented on it.

Enviado desde mi EML-L09 mediante Tapatalk
Do you own one?
post #1749 of 2404 Old 05-06-2019, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjonathan0 View Post
Do you own one?
Read the last couple of pages.

You're welcome.

post #1750 of 2404 Old 05-06-2019, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6523 Post(s)
Liked: 6499
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
I have the similar, but slightly inferior 55GT50. I don't own an X950G, but do also own an X930E, which is fairly similar to the X950G, albeit a bit brighter. I think you will be pleased overall moving to the LCD, but will notice some deficiencies compared to the plasma. Beyond the blooming that is not obviously not present on the plasma, LCD motion is not as natural. Stuttering during wide panning shots for 24 Hz content is particularly annoying. Unfortunately, neither of the current display technologies, OLED and LCD, offer the level of motion resolution and smoothness as plasma.
Plasma did rock motion.....Not sure anything made today is as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
My previous reply may have seemed overly negative, so I want to add some of the benefits of moving from plasma to a high end LCD. 4k/HDR content will provide a "wow" factor that exceeds anything that can be displayed by the plasma. If you use the TV for games, the dramatically higher brightness, reduced input lag, and lack of IR/burn in contribute to a significantly better gaming experience.
No harm done, plasma TV's where awesome
post #1751 of 2404 Old 05-07-2019, 05:26 AM

Own One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensamix View Post
Read the last couple of pages.

You're welcome.

You didn’t answer my question, so I’m going to make an educated guess here, you do not own a 950. I have been watching 4 & 8k HDR videos on you tube and they are incredible to see. Blacks are like ink, colors are vibrant without blooming and many times the picture is as clear, sharp and stunning as a 35mm camera photo. For anyone considering this TV, you’ll be pleased for years.
post #1752 of 2404 Old 05-07-2019, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Can anyone comment on how subtitles are on the larger models in both SDR and HDR? I watch almost all movies and TV with subtitles turned on so if there's a lot of haloing/blooming it would be a deal breaker for me.
post #1753 of 2404 Old 05-07-2019, 08:46 AM

None

*Xfinity
*HBO
*Netflix HD
post #1754 of 2404 Old 05-07-2019, 09:40 AM

post #1755 of 2404 Old 05-07-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppp1 View Post
Can anyone comment on how subtitles are on the larger models in both SDR and HDR? I watch almost all movies and TV with subtitles turned on so if there's a lot of haloing/blooming it would be a deal breaker for me.
SDR at low brightness there's virtually no haloing/blooming. HDR there will be some.

post #1756 of 2404 Old 05-07-2019, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
We’ve had the new 65” 950 for 2 weeks. Unless you’re looking to nit pick the smallest details, which many “experts” on here are, this TV is incredible. I’ve been watching various 4k HDR sources and some are breath taking. Right out of the box. If you’re a video professional who tunes displays, I’ll read your professional opinion and see if I agree. For all the other “experts”, put a 950 in your house for 2 weeks and then get back to me.
I own it. It is an above average TV. Wouldn't call it incredible.
Sensamix likes this.

Last edited by Iluv4k; 05-08-2019 at 12:29 PM.
post #1757 of 2404 Old 05-07-2019, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post
SDR at low brightness there's virtually no haloing/blooming. HDR there will be some.
How bad is it in HDR? Noticeable all the time?
post #1758 of 2404 Old 05-07-2019, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am watching "Stunning mediterranean beach in 4k HDR" and The picture ist awesome. But remember that the TV dont changes automatically to BT2020 in App playback
post #1759 of 2404 Old 05-07-2019, 02:32 PM

Incredible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluv4k View Post
I own it. It is above average it. Wouldn't call it incredible.
Have you downloaded the IMAX enhanced app? If not, let me know what you think after you watch the clips.
post #1760 of 2404 Old 05-07-2019, 02:35 PM

Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppp1 View Post
How bad is it in HDR? Noticeable all the time?
Not at all. White letters on a black background. Absolute black, bright white with zero blooming.
post #1761 of 2404 Old 05-07-2019, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Getting the 950g installed this week along with some other upgrades to the system. It will be in a fairly bright family room. Anything I should be looking out for in the first 24-48 hours of use?

I'll post back about the reflections, this room is pretty bright so should be a good test. Fingers crossed it'll be fine.
Sensamix likes this.
post #1762 of 2404 Old 05-07-2019, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Went to my local best buy today and checked out the 900f and 950g. An official Sony rep was there and said the 950g has the same panel as the 900f. They had quite a few different sizes of each so I checked them out. Based on all the reviews of both sets, the better lag time, and x1 ultimate, I decided too get the 55 inch 950g. It's $100 off right now and I already had a few gift cards. I paid the $20 fee for them to move my current tv to my basement. I really hope they do it. They will be going down 3 flights of stairs carrying a 200+ lb wega crt. I'll probably give it to my cousin or brother whichever wants it.

Anyway, how is the lottery on the sony sets?

I'd imagine good with the 900f being around for so long but i really don't know. I haven't bought a tv since 05.

I'm also curious if there is a service menu like with the older Sony crts or can these sets do auto-calibrate with a colorimeter?

Does it allow for complete seperate settings depending on input or sdr/hdr?

I assume tvs like this don't do 1 to 1 pixel mapping and I'm not sure it matters?

I'll update later this weekend or early next week on my thoughts. I'm coming from a calibrated and tweaked sx955 crt. I also own a Sony fw900 computer monitor and 2x 27 inch 10 bit S-PVA panels.

I'm fairly picky but I realize everything has compromises.

YOLO I guess.
post #1763 of 2404 Old 05-08-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Have you downloaded the IMAX enhanced app? If not, let me know what you think after you watch the clips.
Where is this app? Cant find it in Play Store
post #1764 of 2404 Old 05-08-2019, 01:39 PM

IMAX Enhance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Kier View Post
In the play store, use Google assistant and say IMAX enhanced app. It will bring up Privilege 4K and 2 others. Enjoy!
post #1765 of 2404 Old 05-08-2019, 01:41 PM

Bright Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwabam View Post
Getting the 950g installed this week along with some other upgrades to the system. It will be in a fairly bright family room. Anything I should be looking out for in the first 24-48 hours of use?

I'll post back about the reflections, this room is pretty bright so should be a good test. Fingers crossed it'll be fine.
During the day, we use the standard or cinema settings in our family room. It’s pretty bright in there.
post #1766 of 2404 Old 05-08-2019, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Yup tested it and the Dolby Vision Stuff. I've owned a C8 OLED and Vizio Quantum as well so I've seen what an incredible TV should look like. This TV is ok. Not bad
post #1767 of 2404 Old 05-08-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
In the play store, use Google assistant and say IMAX enhanced app. It will bring up Privilege 4K and 2 others. Enjoy!
I am from germany and somehow i cant find The app even if I search manually. Voice search dont works on the TV😑
post #1768 of 2404 Old 05-08-2019, 05:23 PM

Type

Quote:
I am from germany and somehow i cant find The app even if I search manually. Voice search dont works on the TV😑
Can you type it in some place?
post #1769 of 2404 Old 05-08-2019, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have a brand new 65" 950 G Sony, that is hooked up via HDMI to my new Anthem 1120 receiver and I have a 4K Apple TV hooked up to receiver via HDMI. All the cables are brand new 4K
I can watch Netflix through Apple TV and get Atmos encoded shows. When I tried Amazon all of their 4K and Ultra 4K shows only have 5.1. I know Amazon Prime does play Atmos so I called their Tech support and was told Sony is not compatible with Amazon for Atmos. The set up though is with Apple TV and it works with Netflix. Why won't Atmos work with Amazon Prime with my Sony 950G?
Thanks for any help
post #1770 of 2404 Old 05-08-2019, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
During the day, we use the standard or cinema settings in our family room. It’s pretty bright in there.
Thanks Tjonathan- I'll try that out if it's an issue. I'm pretty happy that the reflection so far, i can see it but no more than XBR it replaced. I must be used to it by now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page