2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 60 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 843Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1771 of 2083 Old 05-09-2019, 05:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Coercion Shaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Kier View Post
I am from germany and somehow i cant find The app even if I search manually. Voice search dont works on the TV😑

It was mentioned in another thread that the Privilege app is currently only available in North America. I don't know if this is true, but may be the issue.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
Coercion Shaman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1772 of 2083 Old 05-09-2019, 07:20 AM
Member
 
rynomyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West Columbia, SC
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokap View Post
Why won't Atmos work with Amazon Prime with my Sony 950G?

Things could have changed recently but the last time I checked, the only Prime show available with Atmos was Jack Ryan.


Have you tried that show?

Spoiler!
rynomyte is offline  
post #1773 of 2083 Old 05-09-2019, 11:19 AM
Member
 
Iluv4k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Samsung Q70 review by rtings today. They say it is better than the x950g.
Bummer for Sony. Q70 has better contrast and local dimming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	q70.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	2564652  
Iluv4k is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1774 of 2083 Old 05-09-2019, 11:35 AM
Newbie
 
Amazing2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluv4k View Post
Samsung Q70 review by rtings today. They say it is better than the x950g.
Bummer for Sony. Q70 has better contrast and local dimming.
But Samsung's panel lottery is so bad... You might get a panel with a ton of DSE.
Amazing2 is offline  
post #1775 of 2083 Old 05-09-2019, 03:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Reflex-Arc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Oof. This thread has been a whirlwind. I'm a new owner of a 55X950G as of last light. My purchase being rather spur of the moment, all things considered. Last week I took delivery of a 49Q6FN that I picked up to use specifically as a PC/Console gaming monitor. It was boxed up and shipped back to the online retailer on Monday because the gaming experience on it was just a terrible blurry mess.

After a couple of days of intense research and spec comparison, I decided I would need to increase my budget (a lot) and opt for a larger display than I had wanted (the 49" 900f would have been ideal were it not for my need for at least 3 full bandwidth HDMI ports and an ARC port). I walked in to a local TV only retailer to look at the options fairly certain I'd end up with another Samsung. That's when everything went askew.

There they were, side by side, eyeblasting the same HDR demo loop, the Q8FN and the 950G. The latter of which had not even been on my radar, and the former being the target I walked in for. For some reason I sat and stared for about an hour at them both in the retailer's darkened showroom. I liked the image of the Sony. I loved the gaming features of the Samsung. They were listed at the same price. My brain twisted.

My on the spot research showed that they both checked all the boxes I needed checked, and the usual review source put the comparison marginally in favor of the Q8. I was ready to pull the trigger, but something about the color of the Sony kept commanding attention of my eyeballs. What to do?! That's when the salesman told me the Q8 was their last, and that the listed price (which was my high end budget) was open box. I paused. That's when the salesman offered me the Sony for $100 less and a 3 year warranty.

An hour later the 950G was on my desk in the media room and I was elbow deep in fiddling with settings.

So far I'm really impressed. I'm actually coming from an LG C7 as my primary gaming monitor (5k hours, zero burnin to date, the display keeps on truckin' in the living room), so the less than perfect black levels are going to take some getting used to, but the brightness and motion have me smitten. I'm looking forward to many hours of gaming on this... Once I figure out what all the settings do, of course.

One very pleasant surprise so far was discovering that this display would allow my Win10 PC to pass 5.1 PCM via HDMI to my non-eARC 5.1 sound bar. Wasn't expecting that. The Q6 locked it to stereo.

But y'all spooked me in this thread for a bit with doom & gloom. I'm sure there are are numerous reasons I should have picked the Sammy, but the price was right, and the picture quality (particularly color and motion) spoke to me. I think this 950G is a keeper. It's pristine!

/coolstorybro
badcatsclaws likes this.
Reflex-Arc is offline  
post #1776 of 2083 Old 05-09-2019, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 23,811
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6306 Post(s)
Liked: 6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluv4k View Post
Samsung Q70 review by rtings today. They say it is better than the x950g.
Bummer for Sony. Q70 has better contrast and local dimming.
Always a matter of opinion....... I know the 950G owners are happy
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #1777 of 2083 Old 05-09-2019, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluemoon737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 3,712
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2195 Post(s)
Liked: 2696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Always a matter of opinion....... I know the 950G owners are happy
I am!

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
bluemoon737 is online now  
post #1778 of 2083 Old 05-09-2019, 04:51 PM
Member
 
jimhenryatgmail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
It was mentioned in another thread that the Privilege app is currently only available in North America. I don't know if this is true, but may be the issue.
Not available in Canada, so not all of North America either, looks like USA only.

Sony XBR-55X900F, Sony UBP-X700, Yamaha YAS-207, PS3
Sharp LC-42D72U (overdue for replacement), Sony BDP-S570, Denon AVR-989, CM-7000PAL, PS4
Samsung UN46C6300 (retired to home office), Samsung BD-D6500, Sony BDP-S5100, PS3, PSTV
jimhenryatgmail is offline  
post #1779 of 2083 Old 05-09-2019, 05:31 PM
Senior Member
 
bokap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I talked to Apple Care this morning about not being able to change Apple 4K settings to Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. They explained it won't work until the firmware updates are done on the Anthem 1120.
I called the dealer and he said he never heard of firmware updates for ARC and the receiver. He asked me where to find and that I should do it myself. I am paying him to install my home theater system and I bought all the equipment from him. His installer, the guy that set all of this up has no idea so I need to get the information so he can do it.
I found the updates on the Anthem web page but the instructional video would not open.
I have Mac OS operating system so I downloaded the Mac software.

Any help would be appreciated
I just realized that I posted this to the wrong thread. I thought it was the Anthem thread
bokap is offline  
post #1780 of 2083 Old 05-09-2019, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alluringreality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,269
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluv4k View Post
Samsung Q70 review by rtings today. They say it is better than the x950g.
Bummer for Sony. Q70 has better contrast and local dimming.
Rtings gives the Q70 and X950G the same local dimming rating, and I don't see it being clearly better in the comparison videos. They actually gave the two TVs the same mixed usage score and say they "have very similar performance". Generally I'd suggest at least taking a look at one in a store before really drawing a final conclusion.

Nebraska Furniture Mart is darker than my living room at times, but the 75" and 82" Q70 still looked questionable compared to most TVs nearby. On the other hand, for the price, I thought the 75" X950G generally compared well with the displays it was grouped with (Z9F, X900F, Q80). I'm not sure how the 55" Q70 measures so well, since the large models look rather flat in stores for some reason. I'd guess maybe it's reflections from the screen finish that I don't like, since the 2018 Q7-Q9 and 2019 Q80 make near-blacks appear a lot darker in showrooms. Uniformity on the 75" Q70 at Best Buy also seemed suspect. The Q70 was easily the cheapest TV I put on my shopping list, so it's probably reasonable that it ends up at the bottom of my list, yet I remember the Q7 giving a better first impression in the same environment. Maybe the Q70 is better in a more light controlled environment, but I thought the large models would be a clear step down from my current semi-gloss TV for use during the daytime.
badcatsclaws likes this.

Last edited by alluringreality; 05-09-2019 at 05:37 PM.
alluringreality is online now  
post #1781 of 2083 Old 05-09-2019, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluemoon737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 3,712
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2195 Post(s)
Liked: 2696
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokap View Post
I talked to Apple Care this morning about not being able to change Apple 4K settings to Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. They explained it won't work until the firmware updates are done on the Anthem 1120.
I called the dealer and he said he never heard of firmware updates for ARC and the receiver. He asked me where to find and that I should do it myself. I am paying him to install my home theater system and I bought all the equipment from him. His installer, the guy that set all of this up has no idea so I need to get the information so he can do it.
I found the updates on the Anthem web page but the instructional video would not open.
I have Mac OS operating system so I downloaded the Mac software.

Any help would be appreciated
I just realized that I posted this to the wrong thread. I thought it was the Anthem thread
Confused as to how you are connected. Do you have everything connected to the 950 and then are using ARC to the Anthem? Does the Anthem support eARC? If you are forced to use plain ARC then all I'll say is all bets are off...it has been my experience and that of mnay others that getting ARC to work reliably is a crap shoot. Not sure why you wouldn't have the ATV connected directly to the Anthem...

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
bluemoon737 is online now  
post #1782 of 2083 Old 05-09-2019, 07:14 PM
Senior Member
 
bokap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
Confused as to how you are connected. Do you have everything connected to the 950 and then are using ARC to the Anthem? Does the Anthem support eARC? If you are forced to use plain ARC then all I'll say is all bets are off...it has been my experience and that of mnay others that getting ARC to work reliably is a crap shoot. Not sure why you wouldn't have the ATV connected directly to the Anthem...
Apple TV is connected to Anthem via HDMI. According to Apple Support the problem I am having with the Apple TV settings, no Atmos, no Dolby Vision is that the firmware needs to be installed on Anthem first.
I have talked already to my dealer/installer about this
bokap is offline  
post #1783 of 2083 Old 05-09-2019, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluemoon737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 3,712
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2195 Post(s)
Liked: 2696
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokap View Post
Apple TV is connected to Anthem via HDMI. According to Apple Support the problem I am having with the Apple TV settings, no Atmos, no Dolby Vision is that the firmware needs to be installed on Anthem first.
I have talked already to my dealer/installer about this
Okay, you kept mentioning ARC so it got confusing as to how you were connected. I know the Anthem does have firmware out to pass DV...should be easy to do and I wouldn't think it would require an installer. Another thing to verify is that you have actual premium certified HDMI cables in the entire chain.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
bluemoon737 is online now  
post #1784 of 2083 Old 05-09-2019, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluemoon737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 3,712
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2195 Post(s)
Liked: 2696
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokap View Post
Apple TV is connected to Anthem via HDMI. According to Apple Support the problem I am having with the Apple TV settings, no Atmos, no Dolby Vision is that the firmware needs to be installed on Anthem first.
I have talked already to my dealer/installer about this
Another thing to verify is that all HDMI ports in the chain are set to "enhanced" (or equivalent).

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
bluemoon737 is online now  
post #1785 of 2083 Old 05-09-2019, 07:48 PM
Senior Member
 
bokap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
Okay, you kept mentioning ARC so it got confusing as to how you were connected. I know the Anthem does have firmware out to pass DV...should be easy to do and I wouldn't think it would require an installer. Another thing to verify is that you have actual premium certified HDMI cables in the entire chain.
The cables are all new and certified for 4K
I mentioned ARC as part of the firmware which needs to be updated. I downloaded the software but the video that has the instructions was no longer available.
I did pay I ton of money to dealer for a complete change of my home theater system. I went from 5.1 to 5.1.4 and it is very hi quality.
The dealer is the one who needs to set it up
Thanks
bokap is offline  
post #1786 of 2083 Old 05-09-2019, 07:51 PM
Senior Member
 
bokap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
Another thing to verify is that all HDMI ports in the chain are set to "enhanced" (or equivalent).
Thanks for that info. I have no idea if they are set to enhanced. Will talk to installer. The problem according to Apple support is the Anthem does not support Dolby Vision and Atmos without the firmware upgrades which will be done
bokap is offline  
post #1787 of 2083 Old 05-10-2019, 03:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluemoon737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 3,712
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2195 Post(s)
Liked: 2696
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokap View Post
Thanks for that info. I have no idea if they are set to enhanced. Will talk to installer. The problem according to Apple support is the Anthem does not support Dolby Vision and Atmos without the firmware upgrades which will be done
Surprised your installer didn't do all this stuff. How long ago was everything installed? The Anthem update has been out for quite some time now. Hopefully your installer isn't going to charge for coming out to do something he should have done during the install.
bokap likes this.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
bluemoon737 is online now  
post #1788 of 2083 Old 05-10-2019, 06:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Enjoy the 950!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex-Arc View Post
Oof. This thread has been a whirlwind. I'm a new owner of a 55X950G as of last light. My purchase being rather spur of the moment, all things considered. Last week I took delivery of a 49Q6FN that I picked up to use specifically as a PC/Console gaming monitor. It was boxed up and shipped back to the online retailer on Monday because the gaming experience on it was just a terrible blurry mess.

After a couple of days of intense research and spec comparison, I decided I would need to increase my budget (a lot) and opt for a larger display than I had wanted (the 49" 900f would have been ideal were it not for my need for at least 3 full bandwidth HDMI ports and an ARC port). I walked in to a local TV only retailer to look at the options fairly certain I'd end up with another Samsung. That's when everything went askew.

There they were, side by side, eyeblasting the same HDR demo loop, the Q8FN and the 950G. The latter of which had not even been on my radar, and the former being the target I walked in for. For some reason I sat and stared for about an hour at them both in the retailer's darkened showroom. I liked the image of the Sony. I loved the gaming features of the Samsung. They were listed at the same price. My brain twisted.

My on the spot research showed that they both checked all the boxes I needed checked, and the usual review source put the comparison marginally in favor of the Q8. I was ready to pull the trigger, but something about the color of the Sony kept commanding attention of my eyeballs. What to do?! That's when the salesman told me the Q8 was their last, and that the listed price (which was my high end budget) was open box. I paused. That's when the salesman offered me the Sony for $100 less and a 3 year warranty.

An hour later the 950G was on my desk in the media room and I was elbow deep in fiddling with settings.

So far I'm really impressed. I'm actually coming from an LG C7 as my primary gaming monitor (5k hours, zero burnin to date, the display keeps on truckin' in the living room), so the less than perfect black levels are going to take some getting used to, but the brightness and motion have me smitten. I'm looking forward to many hours of gaming on this... Once I figure out what all the settings do, of course.

One very pleasant surprise so far was discovering that this display would allow my Win10 PC to pass 5.1 PCM via HDMI to my non-eARC 5.1 sound bar. Wasn't expecting that. The Q6 locked it to stereo.

But y'all spooked me in this thread for a bit with doom & gloom. I'm sure there are are numerous reasons I should have picked the Sammy, but the price was right, and the picture quality (particularly color and motion) spoke to me. I think this 950G is a keeper. It's pristine!

/coolstorybro
I’m glad your excited and happy about your new 950. The X1 chip is the best on the market and the picture is fantastic. Every TV I’ve owned over the past 10 years I’ve changed settings that are deep in the TV. I’ve touched nothing on the Sony except changing the picture from standard to cinema to Dolby. All look fantastic. I have a bright room during the day and a dark one at night. The Sony looks great in all light. The blacks on my set are definitely black. You might have to adjust that to your liking.

I jumped into this thread due to the many “experts” that were trashing the Sony based on opinions, not actual use. Also, I don’t put much stock into “expert” reviews. I go and look at the TV I’m interested in after reading the specs, not what the author sees as pros and cons. I spend a lot of time actually looking at the set at the store with a variety of inputs. Then make my own decision based on what I see, not what someone else does. It’s a great set and I’m extremely happy with mine.

Enjoy your Sony 950!
Tjonathan0 is offline  
post #1789 of 2083 Old 05-10-2019, 06:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Imax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhenryatgmail View Post
Not available in Canada, so not all of North America either, looks like USA only.
I’m in the US and tried to find the IMAX enhanced app in the Google store. I typed in Privilege and nothing came up. So I typed in IMAX and there is was. They that and see if it works.
Tjonathan0 is offline  
post #1790 of 2083 Old 05-10-2019, 06:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Real Life Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluv4k View Post
Samsung Q70 review by rtings today. They say it is better than the x950g.
Bummer for Sony. Q70 has better contrast and local dimming.
End of our second week of using the 950. Most impressive set I’ve ever seen in real life use.
Oplasmic likes this.
Tjonathan0 is offline  
post #1791 of 2083 Old 05-10-2019, 07:37 AM
Senior Member
 
bokap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
Surprised your installer didn't do all this stuff. How long ago was everything installed? The Anthem update has been out for quite some time now. Hopefully your installer isn't going to charge for coming out to do something he should have done during the install.
Last Saturday the installer finished the main job of installing my 5.1.4 system. When he was done I kept asking about the updates and he insisted they were all automatic and done.
It was a major job, moving my existing ceiling speakers which were previously used for my 5.1 system, in place for Atmos.
He insisted that there was no programing for Atmos and Dolby Vision, but I found a lot of it on Netflix and new my system was not playing it. My Apple TV would not allow me to change settings for Dolby Vision, and when I changed the settings for Atmos, I got no sound from shows that are encoded for Atmos
I texted the owner and got no response. Later in the day I called him and he had no idea of what the firmware updates are, clueless. His installer the same.
I have downloaded the updates and next time he comes he has to do them.
It's been very frustrating to say the least.
If I watch a Ultra 4K show that is 5.1 sound, its pretty amazing. I spend a huge amount of money for a great system to get Atmos and Dolby Vision. I had assumed they were well educated with Anthem as they mainly sell and install Anthem. I guess their other clients don't know about Dolby Vision and Atmos.
I paid for the equipment and I need a credit for what was not needed but I haven't paid for the install yet so no I won't be charged extra to update
bokap is offline  
post #1792 of 2083 Old 05-10-2019, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluemoon737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 3,712
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2195 Post(s)
Liked: 2696
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokap View Post
Last Saturday the installer finished the main job of installing my 5.1.4 system. When he was done I kept asking about the updates and he insisted they were all automatic and done.
It was a major job, moving my existing ceiling speakers which were previously used for my 5.1 system, in place for Atmos.
He insisted that there was no programing for Atmos and Dolby Vision, but I found a lot of it on Netflix and new my system was not playing it. My Apple TV would not allow me to change settings for Dolby Vision, and when I changed the settings for Atmos, I got no sound from shows that are encoded for Atmos
I texted the owner and got no response. Later in the day I called him and he had no idea of what the firmware updates are, clueless. His installer the same.
I have downloaded the updates and next time he comes he has to do them.
It's been very frustrating to say the least.
If I watch a Ultra 4K show that is 5.1 sound, its pretty amazing. I spend a huge amount of money for a great system to get Atmos and Dolby Vision. I had assumed they were well educated with Anthem as they mainly sell and install Anthem. I guess their other clients don't know about Dolby Vision and Atmos.
I paid for the equipment and I need a credit for what was not needed but I haven't paid for the install yet so no I won't be charged extra to update
WOW, that stinks! Any home theater dealer/installer worth their salt should be well versed in ATMOS and DV by now. Based on your comments I would be concerned about the type of HDMI cables installed. I know you said they were certified to 4K but that is not the real answer. Unless they are Premium Certified (meaning the cable packaging has the actual Premium Certified holographic logo on it) then all bets are off on them working properly/reliably. Just wanted to reiterate that.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
bluemoon737 is online now  
post #1793 of 2083 Old 05-10-2019, 10:30 AM
Senior Member
 
bokap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
WOW, that stinks! Any home theater dealer/installer worth their salt should be well versed in ATMOS and DV by now. Based on your comments I would be concerned about the type of HDMI cables installed. I know you said they were certified to 4K but that is not the real answer. Unless they are Premium Certified (meaning the cable packaging has the actual Premium Certified holographic logo on it) then all bets are off on them working properly/reliably. Just wanted to reiterate that.
Thanks again for the info about the Premium certified. I will ask them when the installer comes back. The cables are Key Digital 30 ft. HDMI Cable Ultra(CL3/FT4) HD/4K Redmere Technology
Also they installed 3 Proconnect 3 ft.SLIM UHD HDMI/ [email protected] 50/60 18 Gbps
bokap is offline  
post #1794 of 2083 Old 05-10-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluemoon737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 3,712
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2195 Post(s)
Liked: 2696
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokap View Post
Thanks again for the info about the Premium certified. I will ask them when the installer comes back. The cables are Key Digital 30 ft. HDMI Cable Ultra(CL3/FT4) HD/4K Redmere Technology
Also they installed 3 Proconnect 3 ft.SLIM UHD HDMI/ [email protected] 50/60 18 Gbps
I can find nothing on Key Digital's website indicating premium certification. I can't find anything about Proconnect cables....

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
bluemoon737 is online now  
post #1795 of 2083 Old 05-10-2019, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluemoon737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 3,712
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2195 Post(s)
Liked: 2696
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokap View Post
Thanks again for the info about the Premium certified. I will ask them when the installer comes back. The cables are Key Digital 30 ft. HDMI Cable Ultra(CL3/FT4) HD/4K Redmere Technology
Also they installed 3 Proconnect 3 ft.SLIM UHD HDMI/ [email protected] 50/60 18 Gbps
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
I can find nothing on Key Digital's website indicating premium certification. I can't find anything about Proconnect cables....
Go to the HDMI.org website to find out all about premium certification including the required logo.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
bluemoon737 is online now  
post #1796 of 2083 Old 05-10-2019, 11:22 AM
Senior Member
 
bokap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
Go to the HDMI.org website to find out all about premium certification including the required logo.
OK, I will try to find the info. Thanks
bokap is offline  
post #1797 of 2083 Old 05-10-2019, 04:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
Confused as to how you are connected. Do you have everything connected to the 950 and then are using ARC to the Anthem? Does the Anthem support eARC? If you are forced to use plain ARC then all I'll say is all bets are off...it has been my experience and that of mnay others that getting ARC to work reliably is a crap shoot. Not sure why you wouldn't have the ATV connected directly to the Anthem...
So you would say buying a soundbar is not worth it due to the problems with ARC?

I'm on the market for a soundbar but I do read many problems with ARC.

Enviado desde mi EML-L09 mediante Tapatalk
Sensamix is offline  
post #1798 of 2083 Old 05-10-2019, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluemoon737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 3,712
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2195 Post(s)
Liked: 2696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensamix View Post
So you would say buying a soundbar is not worth it due to the problems with ARC?

I'm on the market for a soundbar but I do read many problems with ARC.

Enviado desde mi EML-L09 mediante Tapatalk
Well the Sony soundbar has eARC and I suspect more will be coming soon.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
bluemoon737 is online now  
post #1799 of 2083 Old 05-10-2019, 08:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
Well the Sony soundbar has eARC and I suspect more will be coming soon.
What model is that?

Enviado desde mi EML-L09 mediante Tapatalk
Sensamix is offline  
post #1800 of 2083 Old 05-10-2019, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluemoon737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 3,712
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2195 Post(s)
Liked: 2696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensamix View Post
What model is that?

Enviado desde mi EML-L09 mediante Tapatalk
Several including their top of the line HT-ST5000

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
bluemoon737 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off