2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 61 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 911Likes

post #1801 of 2211 Old 05-11-2019, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
does anyone have experience with the x900f? I am trying to see if the x900f user interface is slow (lags) like some of the reviews say. And if the x950g is quicker. If so, then I will be switching my focus to the x950g.
Thanks for any feedback you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 2211 Old 05-11-2019, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Can an owner of this TV please explain why the legs cannot be switched like the Sony X 900 F? I would like to buy the 85 inch version but it will not fit on my stand unless the legs can be reversed or switched.
post #1803 of 2211 Old 05-11-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 314
I just set one of these up for my parents. Few questions :

1) the vudu app is only showing hdr10 for titles in know are dolby vision available through vudu. Netflix works fine. Does the vudu app on this set not support dolby vision?

2) what does the x-tended dynamic range setting actually do and should it be turned on for hdr?

3) the info screen will show 1080I, 4k, and dolby vision, but what should it say for hdr10?

4) hbo go app would not activate saying the tv was incompatible. Anyone else see or resolve this?

5) how does this tv handle picture settings per mode per input? I had to go through each type of content (sdr hdr10 dolby vision) for each input as well as streaming and set each picture mode up the way I wanted it. Takes a lot of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1804 of 2211 Old 05-11-2019, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultimm View Post
Can an owner of this TV please explain why the legs cannot be switched like the Sony X 900 F? I would like to buy the 85 inch version but it will not fit on my stand unless the legs can be reversed or switched.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corlivi...?skuId=5495538
post #1805 of 2211 Old 05-11-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6402 Post(s)
Liked: 6397
post #1806 of 2211 Old 05-11-2019, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Here it is
Ok thanks for that. I will look it up
post #1807 of 2211 Old 05-11-2019, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultimm View Post
The legs are shaped like a slanted L, it wouldn’t be possible due to the shape of them. The part that normally extends rearward to stabilize it from falling backward wouldn’t fit under the tv.

Luke
post #1808 of 2211 Old 05-12-2019, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake99 View Post
does anyone have experience with the x900f? I am trying to see if the x900f user interface is slow (lags) like some of the reviews say. And if the x950g is quicker. If so, then I will be switching my focus to the x950g.
Thanks for any feedback you can provide.
I had a 900F and recently upgraded to a 950G. The 900F interface is a bit slow and bogs down if you attempt to bring up the picture controls at the same time you are streaming from an app. The 950G is much better; faster, more reliable, etc.

Having said all of that, I still much prefer using an external streaming device, such as Apple TV, Roku, Fire TV, instead of the built-in Android TV apps. From my experience, the overall speed and performance of the apps is much better from external devices. Again, that's just my preference. One could easily use just the apps from the 950G and be very satisfied. It is definitely an improvement from the 900F.
CaptinCrunch and badcatsclaws like this.
post #1809 of 2211 Old 05-12-2019, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Except currently it seems apps aren't all working. Vudu is only doing hdr10 and not dolby vision. Hbo go errors as an unsupported device when you register with a code in a browser.
post #1810 of 2211 Old 05-12-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post
I had a 900F and recently upgraded to a 950G. The 900F interface is a bit slow and bogs down if you attempt to bring up the picture controls at the same time you are streaming from an app. The 950G is much better; faster, more reliable, etc.

Having said all of that, I still much prefer using an external streaming device, such as Apple TV, Roku, Fire TV, instead of the built-in Android TV apps. From my experience, the overall speed and performance of the apps is much better from external devices. Again, that's just my preference. One could easily use just the apps from the 950G and be very satisfied. It is definitely an improvement from the 900F.
Thanks. Since I do have a Fire TV Cube, maybe the slowness isn't something I should be too worried about.
post #1811 of 2211 Old 05-12-2019, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Got the 55 inch 950g yesterday. I'm impressed so far, but I'm coming from a crt so this set begs to be calibrated. That said, it looks very impressive out of the box.

I read how to use that calman autocal app but is there an alternate way of generating the patterns besides buying a pattern generator?
post #1812 of 2211 Old 05-13-2019, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 51
For the 80" to 85" size, is the 950G the only way to go?

After much research into currently available 2019 models in the 85" size, I've concluded that the 950G offers not just the best "bang for the buck" but appears to only have ONE competitor in this size: Samsung Q90R (for an extra $1,000). The Q80R is not offered above 75" and the Q70R is vastly inferior in many ways (sadly a step back from last year's Q7FN). I was going to order the 85" 900F, but then realized that my kids play do XBox and my wife watches Netflix off-axis while doing chores so the improved latency, wide angle viewing and Netflix optimization pushed me to the 950G.

Does anybody else have a better 85" suggestion in the $5,000 range? I just placed my order at BB, but can easily switch it for a different model; however there doesn't seem to be too many options out there.
badcatsclaws likes this.
post #1813 of 2211 Old 05-13-2019, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextGen View Post
I read how to use that calman autocal app but is there an alternate way of generating the patterns besides buying a pattern generator?
Based on this post, and others like it, I get the impression that it's possible to connect a computer using HDMI, although I never could figure out if it was necessary to pay extra for the Client 3 software for the latest software.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post57411340

The recent Sony thread also lists "MobileForge on fireTV stick, raspberry pi, MadVR, CalMAN built-in pattern window via HDMI output of your laptop", so particulars could probably be answered there.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...ny-2019-a.html

Last edited by alluringreality; 05-13-2019 at 11:20 AM.
post #1814 of 2211 Old 05-13-2019, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Does anybody know of a table top stand for the 85 inch version? As I can't put it on the wall and don't want to buy another wider stand for this TV? Any links would be appreciated, on amazon or EBAY.
post #1815 of 2211 Old 05-13-2019, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I purchased the 85" 850G from crutchfield yesterday for $1998 I think it was a price mistake because I haven't seen it that cheap
post #1816 of 2211 Old 05-13-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post
Quote:
Based on this post, and others like it, I get the impression that it's possible to connect a computer using HDMI, although I never could figure out if it was necessary to pay extra for the Client 3 software for the latest software.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post57411340

The recent Sony thread also lists "MobileForge on fireTV stick, raspberry pi, MadVR, CalMAN built-in pattern window via HDMI output of your laptop", so particulars could probably be answered there.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...ny-2019-a.html
Thanks for this. They've made this whole Sony autocal process really confusing and expensive. I have an old i1 LT, not a pro that they seem to require.

So, as of right now I'm skipping autocal and decided to just do a quick calibration with DisplayCAL. I only adjusted brightness and RGB it It already looks miles better than it did out of the box, and it looked good out of the box. I'm doing it with clearness (sony bfi?) at 2 right now, which seems to help the tv act like more like a crt. It's still plenty bright, for sdr games anyway' at 1 or 2.

I need to set sharpness, which seems to look best set to minimum with lower resolution content like games. 50% seems to make Dish with a joey more watchable. But I'll need to put up some test patterns to be sure. I know rtings and most people say leave it at 50 but this does not seem neutral to me as I see some introduction of noise/grain.

All in all, coming from a crt, I'm extreemly impressed after just basic calibration. The set is sharp as a tack, handles motion quite well, has wonderful scaling, and gets very bright with deep blacks. After just a quick simple calibration it has great shadow and color detail. 55 inches was the right size for me as the smaller size works good for all content based on my room size and seating distance. Viewing angles are ok. Yes there is color/gamma/etc shift if too off center, but the more calibrated the tv is the less noticeable it is. Also, seting distance and height nearly eliminate the shift if sitting directly infront. There is some darkness in the corners like most sonys but i never notice. I'm sure if you sit far back like 12 feet or more it may be an issue but i do not find it distracting at all. Even when using it as a monitor for my gaming pc. Matter of fact i don't even think the dimness in the corners should even be memtioned.

I don't have any real hdr content to test out on the set, but my only gripe is that I can't control the scaler to get 1:1 mapping or atleast be able to shrink the screen size based on input like 480i/p. It would be an easy way to essentially adjust viewing distance for low resolution content.

Last edited by NextGen; 05-13-2019 at 01:17 PM.
post #1817 of 2211 Old 05-13-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have an old i1 LT, not a pro that they seem to require.
I thought the older versions of CalMAN used to support my i1 LT, but maybe their software called it the "Gretag Macbeth EyeOne monitor" that has been removed from the consumer version. Mine has drifted visibly compared to my i1 Pro readings. It seems odd that they list "Meter Profiling Workflow", yet they appear to have taken out the old low-cost meters I remember. I suppose that could be to intentionally limit the consumer version to more recent colorimeters, yet it's not a selling point for me. It looks like maybe the Spyder 5 may be the cheapest meter remaining on the consumer list. After reading through the current posts in the second link it almost seems like there might be both the Client 3 software and a built in option in the software for displaying Autocal patterns, and maybe one copy of Client 3 comes with the software, but I can't say for sure if that's correct. Only Client 3 appears under "Supported Pattern Sources", and neither currently appears to be addressed in the linked information, yet maybe it will be explained better in the future. I would have figured my old meter might still work for profiling, but you may be right that it appears to have been removed.

Last edited by alluringreality; 05-13-2019 at 03:58 PM.
post #1818 of 2211 Old 05-13-2019, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hi everyone- I posted this a while back but seeing if any new owners have had this issue... I have the 75 inch X950G and it has been fantastic for all our needs. But using the internal Netflix app streaming 4K content, I always get periodic audio cutouts (every few minutes at least the sound will just cut out for a second). I am still using the internal speakers and running off Wifi at consistent 500+ mbps.

We purchased an Apple TV 4K in the meantime and it has been flawless (except no 4K YouTube or Netflix calibrated mode, plus YouTube TV doesn’t auto-detect Dolby vision off). PS4 pro is fine too- no audio issue.

Any thoughts? Sony has no clue last I contacted them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1819 of 2211 Old 05-13-2019, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by falsek1ng View Post
Hi everyone- I posted this a while back but seeing if any new owners have had this issue... I have the 75 inch X950G and it has been fantastic for all our needs. But using the internal Netflix app streaming 4K content, I always get periodic audio cutouts (every few minutes at least the sound will just cut out for a second). I am still using the internal speakers and running off Wifi at consistent 500+ mbps.

We purchased an Apple TV 4K in the meantime and it has been flawless (except no 4K YouTube or Netflix calibrated mode, plus YouTube TV doesn’t auto-detect Dolby vision off). PS4 pro is fine too- no audio issue.

Any thoughts? Sony has no clue last I contacted them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm wondering if it would be different if you used the eARC feature connecting to a similarly eARC compatible AVR and see if it passes audio better that way.
post #1820 of 2211 Old 05-13-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post

Do you see improvement in brightness during SDR or HDR content? Is the PQ close to being the same?
post #1821 of 2211 Old 05-13-2019, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake99 View Post
Do you see improvement in brightness during SDR or HDR content? Is the PQ close to being the same?
The X950G can get extremely bright in all picture modes and in both SDR and HDR. I think you could land a plane at night with all the brightness settings set to high!

Just going from memory, I think Dolby Vision content looks better; less "drab". There are two Dolby Vision settings "light" and "dark" which you can use to your preference.
post #1822 of 2211 Old 05-13-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I have an old i1 LT, not a pro that they seem to require.
I thought the older versions of CalMAN used to support my i1 LT. I would have figured my old meter might still work for profiling, but you may be right that it appears to have been removed.
On the page that lists Calman home for Sony bravia. They list these...

SpectraCal C6
SpectraCal C6 HDR2000
X-Rite i1Display (OEM)
X-Rite i1Display Pro (Retail)
X-Rite i1Pro
X-Rite i1Pro 2
Datacolor Spyder 5
X-Rite ColorMunki Spectro (Design and Photo)

I don't know what the difference between i1(oem) and pro are. Perhaps any i1 display would work?

As for pattern generators, it says that at least 1 license Client3 is included in all versions of calman. So I'm assuming calman home for Sony has it?

Guess I'll take the plunge and purchase it. If my Lt doesn't work with it i guess I'll upgrade.
post #1823 of 2211 Old 05-13-2019, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Firmware v6.2510 released.

Here are the notes:

Benefits and improvements
Resolves an issue where vertical lines appear on the TV screen
Resolves an issue where the photo slideshow will freeze when switching between HDMI and USB inputs

Also: Updates Android Security Patch Level to March 2019. Was Nov. 2018 previously.

Update through internet doesn't seem to work right now. You have to download the file from Sony Support. It is huge! 1.1 GB!

I've never seen a TV firmware update this big before.

Last edited by Iluv4k; 05-13-2019 at 11:13 PM.
post #1824 of 2211 Old 05-14-2019, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 218
I finally got to see the X-wide tech as my local BB has up the 85" set now. Contrast and black levels were still very good to the eye (regardless of the measured numbers). That doesn't worry me at all. This TV looked great.

I'm now not sure I can handle the stretched reflections that the X-wide causes, though. That was horrible. And I have windows on two walls to include one that faces the television. I can see them in darker scenes on my 900F, but this set would pull them farther. Now I just don't know if this set (or the Z9F) will work.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #1825 of 2211 Old 05-14-2019, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluv4k View Post
Firmware v6.2510 released.

Here are the notes:

Benefits and improvements
Resolves an issue where vertical lines appear on the TV screen
Resolves an issue where the photo slideshow will freeze when switching between HDMI and USB inputs

Also: Updates Android Security Patch Level to March 2019. Was Nov. 2018 previously.

Update through internet doesn't seem to work right now. You have to download the file from Sony Support. It is huge! 1.1 GB!

I've never seen a TV firmware update this big before.
Nooooooo!!! I was hoping for an "Improves video performance" benefit. Oh well, maybe too soon but hoping it still does anyway. About to install right now and will provide feedback.
post #1826 of 2211 Old 05-14-2019, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't know what the difference between i1(oem) and pro are.
I'm not absolutely sure either. Google returned the following link and a forum comment indicating that they bought the OEM version from CalMAN. I suspect the OEM might be the following, and the Retail one is probably the X-Rite EODIS3 that can be purchased from multiple sellers.
https://store.portrait.com/oem-i1dis...h-add-ons.html

Quote:
As for pattern generators, it says that at least 1 license Client3 is included in all versions of calman. So I'm assuming calman home for Sony has it?
I'm not sure either. It's entirely possible that statement might be incorrect in relation to the current software options. I see there is the "Client3 Profile Manager Support (add-on option)" on the consumer software, which is different than how the professional software states "QTY 3 included Client3 profile manager Licenses". I suspect "support" and "add-on option" might mean that it's extra-cost and not included. According to the link from yesterday there is "CalMAN built-in pattern window via HDMI output of your laptop", which I suppose would be similar to what is shown on page 7 or the top part of page 11 from https://app.spectracal.com/Documents...er%20Guide.pdf.

Quote:
Guess I'll take the plunge and purchase it. If my Lt doesn't work with it i guess I'll upgrade.
They could probably tell you for sure in the calibration forum. At this point I think they likely dropped support for the i1Display LT.

Last edited by alluringreality; 05-14-2019 at 07:17 AM.
post #1827 of 2211 Old 05-14-2019, 07:13 AM

No performance increase on the update. I cant be mad because there was no mention of this in the notes.
Iluv4k likes this.
post #1828 of 2211 Old 05-14-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know what the difference between i1(oem) and pro are.
I'm not absolutely sure either. Google returned the following link and a forum comment indicating that they bought the OEM version from CalMAN. I suspect the OEM might be the following, and the Retail one is probably the X-Rite EODIS3 that can be purchased from multiple sellers.
https://store.portrait.com/oem-i1dis...h-add-ons.html

Quote:
I'm not sure either. It's entirely possible that statement might be incorrect in relation to the current software options. I see there is the "Client3 Profile Manager Support (add-on option)" on the consumer software, which is different than how the professional software states "QTY 3 included Client3 profile manager Licenses". I suspect "support" and "add-on option" might mean that it's extra-cost and not included. According to the link from yesterday there is "CalMAN built-in pattern window via HDMI output of your laptop", which I suppose would be similar to what is shown on page 7 or the top part of page 11 from https://app.spectracal.com/Documents...er%20Guide.pdf.

Quote:
They could probably tell you for sure in the calibration forum. At this point I think they likely dropped support for the i1Display LT.
I'll know soon enough. My LT is old old old, so an upgrade to anything fairly recent would probably be worthwhile.

I discovered that this tv has a small scaling adjustment that should be made right out of the box imo. I'm not at home so i can't say exactly where it is in the video options but it it's a 1:1 4k scaling option? Or it at least gets rid of the slightly zoomed in screen. Found it. It's called display area.

I'm testing out different pc resolutions right now. I'm not sure how some of the settings work but you can select 30hz instead of 60hz and apply different resolutions to the screen. But when i try playing certain games the screen says not supported. Probably a setting in nvidia control panel i need to adjust.

This is a phenomenal television. Can't imagine this thing after calibration.

Last edited by NextGen; 05-14-2019 at 10:01 AM.
post #1829 of 2211 Old 05-15-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
I'll know soon enough. My LT is old old old, so an upgrade to anything fairly recent would probably be worthwhile.

I discovered that this tv has a small scaling adjustment that should be made right out of the box imo. I'm not at home so i can't say exactly where it is in the video options but it it's a 1:1 4k scaling option? Or it at least gets rid of the slightly zoomed in screen. Found it. It's called display area.

I'm testing out different pc resolutions right now. I'm not sure how some of the settings work but you can select 30hz instead of 60hz and apply different resolutions to the screen. But when i try playing certain games the screen says not supported. Probably a setting in nvidia control panel i need to adjust.

This is a phenomenal television. Can't imagine this thing after calibration.
I posted about this a while back. Yes, I do believe that this set set could use a scaling adustment. If you check your native apps, they are all zoomed in at +1 display area. However, check here: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/co...scaling_to_4k/

This may help you out with resolutions. I mainly use [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected](if I get decent fps, using RTX2080). Sony, please unlock display area setting and give me back my CineMotion HIGH setting.
Oplasmic likes this.
post #1830 of 2211 Old 05-15-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencc3 View Post
Quote:
I posted about this a while back. Yes, I do believe that this set set could use a scaling adustment. If you check your native apps, they are all zoomed in at +1 display area. However, check here: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/co...scaling_to_4k/

This may help you out with resolutions. I mainly use [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected](if I get decent fps, using RTX2080). Sony, please unlock display area setting and give me back my CineMotion HIGH setting.
So in game mode you can't select scaling adjustments. But +1 actually zooms out or perhaps sets it 1 to 1 based on the scaler, at least in game mode.

My tv didn't come with a real manual only a set up guide or start up guide. Is this normal? My old pioneer receiver had a book with it that lists what most of the features do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page