2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 62 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 861Likes

post #1831 of 2117 Old 05-15-2019, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextGen View Post
So in game mode you can't select scaling adjustments. But +1 actually zooms out or perhaps sets it 1 to 1 based on the scaler, at least in game mode.

My tv didn't come with a real manual only a set up guide or start up guide. Is this normal? My old pioneer receiver had a book with it that lists what most of the features do.
Press the "HELP" button on the remote and you can select the "Help Guide (Manual)".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 2117 Old 05-15-2019, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
X950 Calibration. I've calibrated everything set I've ever owned. Samsung, Sharp, Vizio and Sony. All were improvements over this factory settings. On my X950, I haven't changed a thing and won't. We have a bright room in the afternoon and a dark one in the evening. The X950 handlles both environments flawlessly. The colors are brilliant and frue without blooming. Black Is jet black and white letters on a black background are flawless. I've owned many sets over the years and the X950 is the best I've ever seen. Don't get me going on Dolby vision and Dolby Atmos. Just watch formula 1 racing on Netflix and be prepared to be amazed!y
badcatsclaws and Panson like this.
post #1833 of 2117 Old 05-15-2019, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
So in game mode you can't select scaling adjustments. But +1 actually zooms out or perhaps sets it 1 to 1 based on the scaler, at least in game mode.

My tv didn't come with a real manual only a set up guide or start up guide. Is this normal? My old pioneer receiver had a book with it that lists what most of the features do.
There are online manuals on Sony's website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1834 of 2117 Old 05-15-2019, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 3
eARC Question for you owners. I have a non-UHD home theater receiver with HDMI that only supports ARC. Can I hook up my Xbox One S to the 950G and pass through DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD audio to the receiver? Or does my receiver also have to be eARC compatible? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1835 of 2117 Old 05-15-2019, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2199 Post(s)
Liked: 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyP View Post
eARC Question for you owners. I have a non-UHD home theater receiver with HDMI that only supports ARC. Can I hook up my Xbox One S to the 950G and pass through DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD audio to the receiver? Or does my receiver also have to be eARC compatible? Thanks

Must have eARC.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #1836 of 2117 Old 05-15-2019, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjonathan0 View Post
X950 Calibration. I've calibrated everything set I've ever owned. Samsung, Sharp, Vizio and Sony. All were improvements over this factory settings. On my X950, I haven't changed a thing and won't. We have a bright room in the afternoon and a dark one in the evening. The X950 handlles both environments flawlessly. The colors are brilliant and frue without blooming. Black Is jet black and white letters on a black background are flawless. I've owned many sets over the years and the X950 is the best I've ever seen. Don't get me going on Dolby vision and Dolby Atmos. Just watch formula 1 racing on Netflix and be prepared to be amazed!y
What size is your X950? Argh, I have the 85" X950 on order but I've heard that the color/contrast is detrimentally affected by the X-Wide angle technology, and it's not like I can toggle it off either
post #1837 of 2117 Old 05-15-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
I'm now not sure I can handle the stretched reflections that the X-wide causes, though. That was horrible. And I have windows on two walls to include one that faces the television. I can see them in darker scenes on my 900F, but this set would pull them farther. Now I just don't know if this set (or the Z9F) will work.
So in a dimly lit (light controlled room), this shouldn't be an issue right? Let us know how things are at night without the glare.
post #1838 of 2117 Old 05-15-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyP View Post

Your AVR must have eARC to receive the full audio bandwidth offered by the TV's eARC. Even then, a successful HDMI-ARC handshake is never guaranteed. Many people still can't get regular ARC to work and have given up using ARC altogether.
Sensamix likes this.
post #1839 of 2117 Old 05-15-2019, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone experienced video/audio issues from streaming contact using the 950Gs Apps? Up until Monday we've experienced no issues after the initial Sony/Netflix issue was resolved.

They seem the worst on Prime Video - HBO or otherwise on Prime - but they also show up on Netflix and YouTube as well. We watched the first 5 episodes of True Detective 3 with zero issues. Then Monday the problems showed up. The picture gets flashes/distortions - don't know how to describe it well. Audio gets sounds that sound like pops/crackles on an LP. Doesn't matter what the show/movie is, there are problems that did not exist before Monday. We got the set about a week before GOT new season began. Watching GOT Sunday night thru HBO on Prime we had no issues of any sort.

My local store is bringing a replacement on Tuesday and will talk with SONY service while they're here to see what they can ascertain about what might be going on. I know it's not my network as there are zero problems using the Apple TV 4K in our master bedroom, which is on the other side of the wall from our Great Room. I've checked the same episodes - resumed from the same spot - on all platforms. Just curious if anyone else has experienced anything like this. Our set is a 65" by the way. Great picture and performance otherwise. No issues with the performance from our Hopper.
post #1840 of 2117 Old 05-15-2019, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2199 Post(s)
Liked: 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KCRT View Post
Your AVR must have eARC to receive the full audio bandwidth offered by the TV's eARC. Even then, a successful HDMI-ARC handshake is never guaranteed. Many people still can't get regular ARC to work and have given up using ARC altogether.
eARC is an entirely different animal to ARC. It just plain works, not at all related to ARC and CEC. In fact ARC and CEC are turned off on my x4500 and 950 and eARC works perfectly.
iatacs19 and LondonBenji like this.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #1841 of 2117 Old 05-15-2019, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6336 Post(s)
Liked: 6334
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylord84 View Post
I purchased the 85" 850G from crutchfield yesterday for $1998 I think it was a price mistake because I haven't seen it that cheap
Oh yes, lol, that was a mistake....

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultimm View Post
Does anybody know of a table top stand for the 85 inch version?
Wayfair has a bunch of stands, like hundreds......

Quote:
After much research into currently available 2019 models in the 85" size, I've concluded that the 950G offers not just the best "bang for the buck" but appears to only have ONE competitor in this size: Samsung Q90R (for an extra $1,000). The Q80R is not offered above 75" and the Q70R is vastly inferior in many ways (sadly a step back from last year's Q7FN). I was going to order the 85" 900F, but then realized that my kids play do XBox and my wife watches Netflix off-axis while doing chores so the improved latency, wide angle viewing and Netflix optimization pushed me to the 950G.

Does anybody else have a better 85" suggestion in the $5,000 range? I just placed my order at BB, but can easily switch it for a different model; however there doesn't seem to be too many options out there.
Nothing else out there 85" and up at all in a mid tear product.....
post #1842 of 2117 Old 05-15-2019, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

They could probably tell you for sure in the calibration forum. At this point I think they likely dropped support for the i1Display LT.

Confirmed it isn't supported. It shows up no problem but is in all red text meaning it isn't supported.

Gonna end up costing half the price of the tv just to calibrate it.

Also, I'm pretty certain sharpness should be set to minimum or close to it. So, IMO, everyone should be setting it way below 50%. It's a great display but calibration is a must to get that perfect picture, for me anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	65
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	2567390  
post #1843 of 2117 Old 05-16-2019, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
So in a dimly lit (light controlled room), this shouldn't be an issue right? Let us know how things are at night without the glare.

I didn't actually view this at home. I looked at a Best Buy. But being able to see what I did there, I don't think it will work because it stretched it out across the entire screen. My wife can't watch TV without a light on, so even at night I will have some reflection, but it is daytime that concerns me with the windows. I don't think it would be a problem with low or controlled light, but that isn't my situation.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #1844 of 2117 Old 05-16-2019, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Confirmed it isn't supported. It shows up no problem but is in all red text meaning it isn't supported.

Gonna end up costing half the price of the tv just to calibrate it.

Also, I'm pretty certain sharpness should be set to minimum or close to it. So, IMO, everyone should be setting it way below 50%. It's a great display but calibration is a must to get that perfect picture, for me anyway.
To your point about sharpness, I'll admit that I'm having a hard time seeing a difference on a test pattern if I raise or lower it a few clicks from 50 in either direction. To-date I've just trusted the recommendations to leave it alone.

I'm hoping we see a settings thread for this display at some point. If anything, it'd go a long way towards my understanding of Sony-ese in menu terms. Coming from Panasonic and more recently, LG, I'm a bit lost.
post #1845 of 2117 Old 05-16-2019, 07:45 AM

Setting for CUSTOM Picture Mode for Dark Room

Going to start a Settings template for peeps that want to submit settings for others to try out. Please let me know if you all would like in Excel format, if not just copy/paste & change settings. These are my optimal settings so far for all SDR content in native Netfilix app and should work for all SDR content. I will post HDR (Dolby Bright/Dark, Vivid) later.

Picture Mode: Custom
Netflix Calibrated Mode: OFF
Light Sensor: OFF

Brightness: 7
Contrast: 97
Gamma: 0
Black Level: 50
Black Adjust: OFF
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: OFF
Auto Local Dimming: High
X-tended Dynamic Range: Medium (Helps with keeping Brightness/Bloom at a minimum and also helps Contrast)

Color: 53
Hue: 0
Color Temp.: Neutral
Adv. Color Temp: Only change G-Gain to -3 ( If you choose to go with Warm for Color Temp., change R-Gain to -2 and G-Gain to -2 ONLY)
Live Color: OFF
Per Color Adjustment: No Changes

Clarity:
Sharpness: 30
Reality Creation: Manual
Resolution: 40
Random Noise Reduction: LOW
Digital Noise Reduction: LOW
Smooth Gradation: LOW

Motion:
Motionflow: Custom
Smoothness: 2
Clearness: 1
CineMotion: Auto
EDJK and hdguru7 like this.
post #1846 of 2117 Old 05-16-2019, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencc3 View Post
Going to start a Settings template for peeps that want to submit settings for others to try out. Please let me know if you all would like in Excel format, if not just copy/paste & change settings. These are my optimal settings so far for all SDR content in native Netfilix app and should work for all SDR content. I will post HDR (Dolby Bright/Dark, Vivid) later.

Picture Mode: Custom

Brightness: 7
Gamma: 0
X-tended Dynamic Range: Medium (Helps with keeping Brightness/Bloom at a minimum and also helps Contrast)

Color: 53
Adv. Color Temp: Only change G-Gain to -3 ( If you choose to go with Warm for Color Temp., change R-Gain to -2 and G-Gain to -2 ONLY)

Clarity:

Motion:
Smoothness: 2
If you guys are going to be posting settings, it would be really helpful to include the size of your screen, since some sizes have X-Wide and some don't, which might affect the settings.
post #1847 of 2117 Old 05-16-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billharris4 View Post
If you guys are going to be posting settings, it would be really helpful to include the size of your screen, since some sizes have X-Wide and some don't, which might affect the settings.
Fixed with my Vivid Preset.

Model: 55"
Picture Mode: Vivid

Brightness: 6
Gamma: -2

Color: 56

Clarity:

Motion:
Smoothness: Max
EDJK likes this.
post #1848 of 2117 Old 05-16-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billharris4 View Post
THIS. I also expect the X-Wide will have different settings.
post #1849 of 2117 Old 05-16-2019, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I’m too afraid to make adjusts as I honestly have found the set to look stunning with default settings.

Is there a revert to default option if I try some of these and prefer to go back?
post #1850 of 2117 Old 05-16-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex-Arc View Post
To your point about sharpness, I'll admit that I'm having a hard time seeing a difference on a test pattern if I raise or lower it a few clicks from 50 in either direction. To-date I've just trusted the recommendations to leave it alone.

I'm hoping we see a settings thread for this display at some point. If anything, it'd go a long way towards my understanding of Sony-ese in menu terms. Coming from Panasonic and more recently, LG, I'm a bit lost. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/IMG]

It all depends on the panel being used and what technology it's made of. A cheap VA panel the sharpness almost acts like a focus, until it reaches a certain point, then it introduces noise. Noise is something we do not want as it degrades the image. Sony, even way back from the CRT days, has this thing called reality creation (VM), which sort of works with sharpness and noise reduction, to try and enhance a degraded signal. IMO, it simply makes it worse, but some people like it for certain things.

My test usually involves looking at a wall of text and a sharpness pattern or two, then testing out a few PS2 games. After doing that with the 950g I am certain that sharpness at minimum, or close to it, is the way to go. But, it won't work if you don't disable all the other garbage enhancements Sony has added, like reality creation.

Then again, i could be totally wrong about the sharpness since my receiver isn't passing 480p from my ps2 correctly or the x950g doesn't like the ps2 signal.

My issue now is that the 950g will not accept 480p from my ps2, 480i works fine through my old pioneer elite receiver using component to digital conversion to HDMI. Even my PS3 connects with an HDMI cable through my receiver and passes 480p and up. Perhaps there is a setting I need to enable, I don't know, but for now I can't get 480p with the ps2. I'll see a second or two of the image then it blacks out until I switch back to 480i

Sad, because I wanted to use it for so many things. I guess 480i with an M-Cable running from the receiver would do, but I want the full frame buffer of the PS2 on the display, not to mention all the games that can be modded to run in true 16x9 480p.

One thing I've learned is that sony's noise reduction is incredible for low res content. For now I have all noise reduction and smooth gradation set to high when my PS2 is connected at 480i. This introduces a frame of lag or more, but for old single player PS2 games who really cares. The point is, that with this stuff turned on it matches or exceeds a CRT in many ways. Acting as a form of Anti Aliasing for the ps2, much like a high quality crt. I'm so anxious to try an MCable now.

And thanks to everyone that has replied to me or simply posted in the thread. Sorry for my walls of text, I'll stop posting for a bit.

Last edited by NextGen; 05-17-2019 at 02:42 AM.
post #1851 of 2117 Old 05-17-2019, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon F View Post
I’m too afraid to make adjusts as I honestly have found the set to look stunning with default settings.

Is there a revert to default option if I try some of these and prefer to go back?

Factory reset should take you back to default everything.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #1852 of 2117 Old 05-17-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
It all depends on the panel being used and what technology it's made of. A cheap VA panel the sharpness almost acts like a focus, until it reaches a certain point, then it introduces noise. Noise is something we do not want as it degrades the image. Sony, even way back from the CRT days, has this thing called reality creation (VM), which sort of works with sharpness and noise reduction, to try and enhance a degraded signal. IMO, it simply makes it worse, but some people like it for certain things.

My test usually involves looking at a wall of text and a sharpness pattern or two, then testing out a few PS2 games. After doing that with the 950g I am certain that sharpness at minimum, or close to it, is the way to go. But, it won't work if you don't disable all the other garbage enhancements Sony has added, like reality creation.

Then again, i could be totally wrong about the sharpness since my receiver isn't passing 480p from my ps2 correctly or the x950g doesn't like the ps2 signal.

My issue now is that the 950g will not accept 480p from my ps2, 480i works fine through my old pioneer elite receiver using component to digital conversion to HDMI. Even my PS3 connects with an HDMI cable through my receiver and passes 480p and up. Perhaps there is a setting I need to enable, I don't know, but for now I can't get 480p with the ps2. I'll see a second or two of the image then it blacks out until I switch back to 480i

Sad, because I wanted to use it for so many things. I guess 480i with an M-Cable running from the receiver would do, but I want the full frame buffer of the PS2 on the display, not to mention all the games that can be modded to run in true 16x9 480p.

One thing I've learned is that sony's noise reduction is incredible for low res content. For now I have all noise reduction and smooth gradation set to high when my PS2 is connected at 480i. This introduces a frame of lag or more, but for old single player PS2 games who really cares. The point is, that with this stuff turned on it matches or exceeds a CRT in many ways. Acting as a form of Anti Aliasing for the ps2, much like a high quality crt. I'm so anxious to try an MCable now.

And thanks to everyone that has replied to me or simply posted in the thread. Sorry for my walls of text, I'll stop posting for a bit.
You could use PCSX2. Rip your games to ISO format then play on PC. Any resolution you want. You can also use dualshock 4.
post #1853 of 2117 Old 05-17-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencc3 View Post
You could use PCSX2. Rip your games to ISO format then play on PC. Any resolution you want. You can also use dualshock 4.

For most games I have found there is just way too much lag for it to be usable on my PC, at least for the games I want to play. Sadly, it turns out the mCable doesn't process anything that is 480i. My receiver has an option to convert 480i to 480p but I don't know how well that will work with the mCable. Marseille is apparently working on an HDMI device that will process 480i signals.

It turns out the digital noise reduction option in the x950g, and I would expect other displays as well, works great as a form of Anti Aliasing on 480i content. There is going to be some lag, but it shouldn't be enough to bother the majority of people.
post #1854 of 2117 Old 05-17-2019, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Panel question. This is my 2nd 85” 950g. The first had a half moon on the bottom that looked like someone jammed their thumb in it. It was replaced today with a new tv that has a straight line running down the center or the panel. I just want to confirm that this panel is defective and should be returned. Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14575663-9F29-4621-851F-4EC6859E44E6_1558144035817.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	2568080  
post #1855 of 2117 Old 05-18-2019, 04:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon F View Post

Yes, it is easy to revert back to the default settings. Each picture mode (Cinema, Standard, Custom, etc.) has a "Reset" option in the settings menu that quickly returns the settings for that picture mode to the default ones.

I agree that this Sony does look good right out of the box. If you're happy with that, don't feel pressured to try to make adjustments. Just put on your favorite movie and enjoy!

Last edited by LDBetaGuy; 05-18-2019 at 04:15 AM.
post #1856 of 2117 Old 05-18-2019, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 91
which picture mode out of the box is the best/most accurate for the Sony ? for movies/shows .. Cinema or Standard I guess ? or Custom ?

I know for the Samsung QLEDs generally everyone says its Movie mode .. whats the equivalent for Sony LCDs ?
post #1857 of 2117 Old 05-18-2019, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Anyone had the x950g and vizio pq65?

I have the PQ65 but the banding is pretty bad.

Now my main concern before switching to a X950G is the blooming.

How is it in real life conditions on the x950g? Is it really that bad?
post #1858 of 2117 Old 05-18-2019, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 108
post #1859 of 2117 Old 05-18-2019, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentifrice View Post
Anyone had the x950g and vizio pq65?

I have the PQ65 but the banding is pretty bad.

Now my main concern before switching to a X950G is the blooming.

How is it in real life conditions on the x950g? Is it really that bad?
I never notice blooming in real life use. Like ever. Never ever? Never.
Not while watching shows streaming. Not while gaming. Not while a BR disc is spinning.

Only time it crops up is when I shut off an Input(like turn off the PS4) and it leaves a black screen with white text in a corner of the screen. Only then do I notice blooming around that text.

And then I think, why is it so pronounced here? Anything else I throw onto the display that has white highlights against a dark backdrop looks fine? What is so special about an idle input screen and that glow around text there? Subtitles on a movie against a black image never does it! I watch those a lot! The lifebars on the hud when playing a game don’t do this crazy glow!

So yea, it’s weird. I’m not an expert but a couple months in with the set and the bloom issue makes no sense to me. I don’t see it except for the times I’m not watching anything at all.
badcatsclaws likes this.
post #1860 of 2117 Old 05-18-2019, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDisplay View Post
which picture mode out of the box is the best/most accurate for the Sony ? for movies/shows .. Cinema or Standard I guess ? or Custom ?

I know for the Samsung QLEDs generally everyone says its Movie mode .. whats the equivalent for Sony LCDs ?
Rtings says, that custom is the most accurate mode and this TV is mostly perfect out of the Box in this mode
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page