2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 905Likes

post #1891 of 2199 Old 05-22-2019, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencc3 View Post
I 100% agree with you. However, like you said, not everyone accepts accuracies. I am an adventurous person who loves to explore the capabilities of a new tv. I have pretty much tweaked every preset that this set has to offer. I had a TV calibrated once in my life but my eyes did not agree with what is supposedly to be accurate. I said, the correct/accurate settings looked no where as good as mines. Too warm. Where are my white whites? Also, 24 fps is considered accurate when it comes to viewing. Who the heck likes 24 FPS for viewing. Point is, screw accuracy if it does not meet your expectations. To me, accuracy looks boring. I say, satisfy your own eyes by tweaking the settings to what amazes you. Forget about being correct and be free.
Came here to tell you that you're "wrong" and that you shouldn't use XDR with an SDR image because I've read that it really affects the colors and makes them inaccurate (jk really), but love your response above! It's your TV, so do what you like! BUT, we are also here trying to help show people what it's "supposed to look like" and then they can go from there. Since you've seen the "right" way but still preferred your own settings, power to you. However, I think it is good to help people get to the "creator's intent" so that they can start from that base-line. Cheers

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 2199 Old 05-22-2019, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon F View Post
I never notice blooming in real life use. Like ever. Never ever? Never.
Not while watching shows streaming. Not while gaming. Not while a BR disc is spinning.

Only time it crops up is when I shut off an Input(like turn off the PS4) and it leaves a black screen with white text in a corner of the screen. Only then do I notice blooming around that text.

And then I think, why is it so pronounced here? Anything else I throw onto the display that has white highlights against a dark backdrop looks fine? What is so special about an idle input screen and that glow around text there? Subtitles on a movie against a black image never does it! I watch those a lot! The lifebars on the hud when playing a game don’t do this crazy glow!

So yea, it’s weird. I’m not an expert but a couple months in with the set and the bloom issue makes no sense to me. I don’t see it except for the times I’m not watching anything at all.
You probably don't notice it during normal use because the TV is acting as a bright light that is causing your eyes to dilate to an extent that the slight blooming present is imperceptible. Whereas when the screen is effectively shut off other than that one icon, less ambient light means the blooming is noticeable. This is the same reason that a bias light mitigates blooming issues.

I'm so tired of the people that take a photo of their screen, at an angle, in a pitch black room then complain about blooming or banding. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]
I would like to add that I am using bias lighting, so if that is helping me not see visible blooming. It’s working as intended.

But yea no blooming complaints on my end.
post #1893 of 2199 Old 05-22-2019, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
I 100% agree with you. However, like you said, not everyone accepts accuracies. I am an adventurous person who loves to explore the capabilities of a new tv. I have pretty much tweaked every preset that this set has to offer. I had a TV calibrated once in my life but my eyes did not agree with what is supposedly to be accurate. I said, the correct/accurate settings looked no where as good as mines. Too warm. Where are my white whites? Also, 24 fps is considered accurate when it comes to viewing. Who the heck likes 24 FPS for viewing. Point is, screw accuracy if it does not meet your expectations. To me, accuracy looks boring. I say, satisfy your own eyes by tweaking the settings to what amazes you. Forget about being correct and be free.
Quite a different tune from

Quote:
I don't think rtings know what they are talking about

(not that Rtings are the benchmark for me but it's pretty much in line with other reviewers that have been around far longer)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1894 of 2199 Old 05-22-2019, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KCRT View Post
After much research into currently available 2019 models in the 85" size, I've concluded that the 950G offers not just the best "bang for the buck" but appears to only have ONE competitor in this size: Samsung Q90R (for an extra $1,000). The Q80R is not offered above 75" and the Q70R is vastly inferior in many ways (sadly a step back from last year's Q7FN). I was going to order the 85" 900F, but then realized that my kids play do XBox and my wife watches Netflix off-axis while doing chores so the improved latency, wide angle viewing and Netflix optimization pushed me to the 950G.

Does anybody else have a better 85" suggestion in the $5,000 range? I just placed my order at BB, but can easily switch it for a different model; however there doesn't seem to be too many options out there.
I am in the same boat. Q70R has fantastic contrast + mediocre brightness whereas X950G has excellent brightness + probably mediocre contrast.

Did you have a chance to compare these two in real life? Tests could be misleading. But why did you choose Sony? If you received it are you happy with it? Especially regarding contrast?

Thank you!
post #1895 of 2199 Old 05-22-2019, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Why not pick up a Q8 or even Q9? Or the newer verisons?
The 950G went back last night and a Q8FN came home in its place. I'm very much going to miss the ability of the 950G to pass 5.1 audio from my PC via ARC and the pristine panel uniformity. The 950G was almost perfect for my needs.
post #1896 of 2199 Old 05-22-2019, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Came here to tell you that you're "wrong" and that you shouldn't use XDR with an SDR image because I've read that it really affects the colors and makes them inaccurate (jk really), but love your response above! It's your TV, so do what you like! BUT, we are also here trying to help show people what it's "supposed to look like" and then they can go from there. Since you've seen the "right" way but still preferred your own settings, power to you. However, I think it is good to help people get to the "creator's intent" so that they can start from that base-line. Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithras1 View Post
Quite a different tune from

(not that Rtings are the benchmark for me but it's pretty much in line with other reviewers that have been around far longer)
Huh? Lol. Point is, that no one here can help with the professional level of calibration. RTings advises against using their calibrated white balance settings but also advises one to use Expert1 for color temp. So, question for you. How accurate is the expert1 preset if you dont touch the advance color temp. and per. color adjustment using actual calibration gear on your own set? If you say, not accurate, then I think, whats the point? Also, are people gaming on professional calibrated presets? Sorry for asking this, I am here to gain a lil knowledge as well. But when I think of calibration, I'm thinking of it being tuned more for movie viewing. Even though calibration is more about accuracy.
post #1897 of 2199 Old 05-23-2019, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by badcatsclaws View Post
I am in the same boat. Q70R has fantastic contrast + mediocre brightness whereas X950G has excellent brightness + probably mediocre contrast.

Did you have a chance to compare these two in real life? Tests could be misleading. But why did you choose Sony? If you received it are you happy with it? Especially regarding contrast?

Thank you!
I've only compared the 950G to the Q90R, specifically, the differences:
1. 950G blacks are pretty bad in dim lighting due to X-Wide, so I'm thinking of bias lighting to help with the blacks; but this is compared to the Q90R's blackest blacks among all the 4K non-OLED TVs; ABT's test indicates that the Q70R does not have as good blacks either, so maybe a wash there
2. Color accuracy by the 950G is pretty much unmatched by anything QLED, because Samsung specifically calibrates all its QLED for maximum effect in showrooms (over saturated, too bright SDR, etc.)

Since I'm watching mostly movies in a dimly lit room, all the advantages of the QLED is of no benefit to me (latency, super bright, glare) with the exception of the deep blacks which I'm a little disappointed, but not a deal breaker for me.

And I have not taken delivery of the 950G because I'm seriously thinking of upgrading to the 77" A9G (I've convinced myself that this will be the last TV I get for 10 more years LOL), which won't be available for sale until after 6/2.

Last edited by 8KCRT; 05-23-2019 at 12:56 AM.
post #1898 of 2199 Old 05-23-2019, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Huh? Lol. Point is, that no one here can help with the professional level of calibration. RTings advises against using their calibrated white balance settings but also advises one to use Expert1 for color temp. So, question for you. How accurate is the expert1 preset if you dont touch the advance color temp. and per. color adjustment using actual calibration gear on your own set? If you say, not accurate, then I think, whats the point? Also, are people gaming on professional calibrated presets? Sorry for asking this, I am here to gain a lil knowledge as well. But when I think of calibration, I'm thinking of it being tuned more for movie viewing. Even though calibration is more about accuracy.
Sony has aways been great with it's picture quality out of the box. If you unbox a new X950, and made only 2 changes to the settings, set the picture mode to "Cinema" and Expert colour to "Expert 1" that would give you an image closest to the standard white level of 6500K (Sony's factory calibration), which would provide you an image closest to colour accuracy. From there you would adjust the 2pt, 10pt colour settings to achive an even better image.

When sharing custom settings it is always advised that the expert 2pt, and 10pt colour adjustments are for that tv alone, and may or may not provide someone else with the same set the same image due to small variants from panel to panel. Since the leds are coated with colored phosphorus material to produce the wider colour gammet, not all tv's will have an equal colour spectrum. My tv may push more reds and blues, while yours may push more greens, and to correct those pushes you use the RGB Gains, and Bias to equal out the balance. So my custom 2pt and 10pt correct my set, but may cause your set to look off.

I have 3 custom calibrations for my X900F, and each pair have their own 2pt, and 10pt settings. Cinema Pro/Expert 1 (OTA HD, and X800 Blu-ray), Cinema Home/Expert 2 (Bt.1886 for Streaming apps), Warm/Custom (Gaming)

Hope this all that helped
mithras1 likes this.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 / PB-2000

Last edited by CaptinCrunch; 05-23-2019 at 07:01 AM.
post #1899 of 2199 Old 05-23-2019, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just want to chime in and say that if you are unsatisfied with this tv, or any tv really, keep in mind that there's a lot more to factor in than just the tv.

I have d65 bias lights behind the tv for watching in the dark. I also have my room set up so I don't get noticeable reflections when all the lights are off. I have blinds that can almost black out the windows.
I use fairly proper seating distance and have done a very simple calibration of the display.

Other settings I take into account is in game mode I have clarity set to 2 and smooth gradation on. (Whether you keep it on 1 our 2 you will need to calibrate for it). Reality Creation and any other extras are turned off. Sharpness is at minimum.

For those curious I've been able to access both the service mode and professional mode on the display.
badcatsclaws likes this.
post #1900 of 2199 Old 05-23-2019, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex-Arc View Post
The 950G went back last night and a Q8FN came home in its place. I'm very much going to miss the ability of the 950G to pass 5.1 audio from my PC via ARC and the pristine panel uniformity. The 950G was almost perfect for my needs.
Why will you loose ARC functionality?

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
post #1901 of 2199 Old 05-23-2019, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Why will you loose ARC functionality?
I have not lost ARC entirely, just the ability to pass 5.1 audio from PC. Whereas the 950G was recognized in Windows 10 as a 5.1 capable device in the sound settings when connected by HDMI, the Q8FN will only show as stereo. I suspect this is a benefit of eARC at play with the Sony. It would pass 5.1 PCM to my non-eARC sound bar. A massive plus for the 950G in my book. The 8QFN introduces horrible audio lag when using ARC, but that's a topic for another thread.
p3trol_h3ad likes this.
post #1902 of 2199 Old 05-23-2019, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextGen View Post
I just want to chime in and say that if you are unsatisfied with this tv, or any tv really, keep in mind that there's a lot more to factor in than just the tv.

I have d65 bias lights behind the tv for watching in the dark. I also have my room set up so I don't get noticeable reflections when all the lights are off. I have blinds that can almost black out the windows.
I use fairly proper seating distance and have done a very simple calibration of the display.

Other settings I take into account is in game mode I have clarity set to 2 and smooth gradation on. (Whether you keep it on 1 our 2 you will need to calibrate for it). Reality Creation and any other extras are turned off. Sharpness is at minimum.

For those curious I've been able to access both the service mode and professional mode on the display.
Great post about bias lighting- please share with us specifically what you wanted to improve with bias lighting and whether the improvements to image quality was worthwhile. I’ve been hearing that bias lighting would help make the 950 blacks appear blacker in a dark room, and this is especially relevant to those of us considering the X-Wide affected sizes!
badcatsclaws likes this.
post #1903 of 2199 Old 05-23-2019, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
As has been answered Expert 1 is the closest to 6500K white point of all the presets/ options. This is where white is as it should be. If it looks off after a period of getting used to it it probably still needs adjustment but much less than all the other options. The next closest is probably Warm, so if Expert 1 still looks too yellow after the adjustment period (for your eyes) then you might want to try Warm if you don't want to play around with the advanced color temperature settings.

But of course if you're used to inaccurate whites for years and years and don't 'want' to accept it's not what it should look like then by all means continue as you were (just don't go preaching around that the reviews are totally wrong ... because they aren't). Having said that: it's also nice to have a picture mode at hand that does go 'all out', but you can still have one and use Expert 1 and still have it pop)

To use some examples from a review: this is Standard preset with color temperature Neutral (cmiiw):

This is Custom out of the box (this particular set was lacking a bit of blue whereas the set in another review was lacking a bit of red. So this one has a color temperature below 6500K, which you would notice as looking too 'yellow', whereas the other should be between 6500 and 7000. The Rtings model is remarkably good out of the box at 6493K, lacking ever so slightly a tiny bit of blue as you can see in their graph)

The here is the reference image: this is how it looks on disc and how it should look on screen:

And here is the XG95 in the review in Custom mode after calibration (of course still on Expert 1)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3DLUT_XG95-f_DaVinciResolve66_oblivion-kopia.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	2570644   Click image for larger version

Name:	XG95-bf_oblivion-kopia.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	2570646   Click image for larger version

Name:	3DLUT_XG95-c_DaVinciResolve66_oblivion-kopia.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	2570648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ref4.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	2570650  
irishluck73 likes this.

Last edited by mithras1; 05-23-2019 at 10:10 AM.
post #1904 of 2199 Old 05-23-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
Quote:
Sony has aways been great with it's picture quality out of the box. If you unbox a new X950, and made only 2 changes to the settings, set the picture mode to "Cinema" and Expert colour to "Expert 1" that would give you an image closest to the standard white level of 6500K (Sony's factory calibration), which would provide you an image closest to colour accuracy. From there you would adjust the 2pt, 10pt colour settings to achive an even better image.

When sharing custom settings it is always advised that the expert 2pt, and 10pt colour adjustments are for that tv alone, and may or may not provide someone else with the same set the same image due to small variants from panel to panel. Since the leds are coated with colored phosphorus material to produce the wider colour gammet, not all tv's will have an equal colour spectrum. My tv may push more reds and blues, while yours may push more greens, and to correct those pushes you use the RGB Gains, and Bias to equal out the balance. So my custom 2pt and 10pt correct my set, but may cause your set to look off.

I have 3 custom calibrations for my X900F, and each pair have their own 2pt, and 10pt settings. Cinema Pro/Expert 1 (OTA HD, and X800 Blu-ray), Cinema Home/Expert 2 (Bt.1886 for Streaming apps), Warm/Custom (Gaming)

Hope this all that helped [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
This helped a lot. I see that you are a man of culture when it comes to Tv settings. It must really make a difference to be able to tweak on a professional level. How much does the equipment cost?
post #1905 of 2199 Old 05-23-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
As has been answered Expert 1 is the closest to 6500K white point of all the presets/ options. This is where white is as it should be. If it looks off after a period of getting used to it it probably still needs adjustment but much less than all the other options. The next closest is probably Warm, so if Expert 1 still looks too yellow after the adjustment period (for your eyes) then you might want to try Warm if you don't want to play around with the advanced color temperature settings.

But of course if you're used to inaccurate whites for years and years and don't 'want' to accept it's not what it should look like then by all means continue as you were (just don't go preaching around that the reviews are totally wrong ... because they aren't).

To use some examples from a review:

This is Standard preset with color temperature Neutral (cmiiw):

This is Custom out of the box (this particular set was lacking a bit of blue whereas the set in another review was lacking a bit of red. So this one has a color temperature below 6500K whereas the other should be between 6500 and 7000. The Rtings model is remarkably good out of the box at 6413K, lacking a tiny bit of blue as you can see in their graph)

The here is the reference image: this is how it looks on disc and how it should look on screen:

And here is the XG95 in the review in Custom mode after calibration (of course still on Expert 1)

Nice screen comparison. That neutral shot looks awesome compared to expert1. However, fully calibrated appears to be a true neutral without the tinted whites of untouched warm and expert1. Ok I am a believer now. Calibration kills all the negatives of warm and expert1.
post #1906 of 2199 Old 05-23-2019, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
On the product page on the Sony website it says Dolby Atmos available later via firmware update, can anyone tell me if that firmware update has taken place yet, and if so does the built-in Netflix app support it, thanks?

Also I'm new to these forums and was wondering how do you quote someone?
post #1907 of 2199 Old 05-24-2019, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebie View Post
On the product page on the Sony website it says Dolby Atmos available later via firmware update, can anyone tell me if that firmware update has taken place yet, and if so does the built-in Netflix app support it, thanks?

Also I'm new to these forums and was wondering how do you quote someone?

Use the "Quote" button at the bottom of the particular post you wish to quote. It will appear in your Reply to Thread.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #1908 of 2199 Old 05-24-2019, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6391 Post(s)
Liked: 6390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex-Arc View Post
This is a question I'm continuing to ask myself as my return window counts down. It 's likely because I've already returned one display while shopping for my gaming room TV.

To be fair, it does a lot right. Apart from the black level and blooming, the picture quality is quite good out of the box. While comparison shopping, it was the natural look of the image that was the deciding factor when viewed literally side-by-side with the display I had previously been considering. The input lag is more than acceptible, and the motion is great. On top of that, I'm ecstatic with the quality of the panel I've received. After going through the lottery with my LG C7 in the living room and still having to settle for a panel with terrible near-black banding, getting a pristine LCD panel for my gaming display, essentially free from DSE, without any dead pixels, and no vignetting to speak of, was a feels like a real win. I'm loathe to play the panel lottery again. Lastly, this TV passes 5.1 audio from my Win10 PC via HDMI to my non-eARC 5.1 sound bar, which is something the Q6fn it replaced could not do, and the there's little-to-no AV sync issues with any of my sources; a huge problem I had with the Q6fn.

I'm obviously still on the fence. I do like my 950G, even if I'm not 100% happy with it. That said, if I could do better on the black levels and blooming, with a panel of similar overall quality, and maintain the 5.1 PC pass through I have now, I would probably exchange. I just cant shake the feeling that I chose poorly when buying a TV specifically for gaming, and not buying the one that has the better features for gaming. That's probably what it all comes down to.
There is really only one other choice in larger displays as the 82Q80R would be a side step and that is the 82Q90R, you go way up in price and loose 7% screen size most feel it is a better picture and less blooming but it is not exempt from blooming......
post #1909 of 2199 Old 05-24-2019, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sony 950g

what settings are you guys using for the sony 950g?
post #1910 of 2199 Old 05-24-2019, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 2051
Mine will be here Monday, Going in the bedroom to replace a first gen 850a.

S~
bluemoon737 likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #1911 of 2199 Old 05-26-2019, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
To use some examples from a review: this is Standard preset with color temperature Neutral (cmiiw):
The picture quality looks great on my Mac. What review are those images from? I'm curious to know the screen size.

I read the first 30 pages of this thread and got tired of the speculation so I skipped to the end, couldn't do 30 more pages. I'm looking at the 75" 950G or the 900F to replace our 2015 Vizio 65" M Series.

Now that the larger sets with the X-Wide have been in the wild for a while, is that feature really that detrimental to the contrast?

Has anyone compared the two 75" versions against one another? Any other recommendations that I might look at in this size? OLED is out due to the current pricing on the 77" ones.

Also, I see the X940E is highly recommended and there are a few around my area. Is it worth the additional money? What do you lose out on in terms of being an older set, 2017 I believe? How would that compare to the 900F and 950G?

Last edited by irishluck73; 05-26-2019 at 07:57 AM.
post #1912 of 2199 Old 05-26-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrpr View Post
what settings are you guys using for the sony 950g?
I would start with RTings settings first and pray that you dont end up with greenish/reddish whites. If you don't have calibration gear, you will have to eyeball your settings and more than likely not end up with pure whites. I have been messing around with Rtings settings lately (switched from neutral to expert1), but ended up having a major green tinted picture. I dropped G-Bias down to -5 and the green tint is still there. However, if you don't switch between warm and expert1, the green tint wont bother you as much but it will still be there regardless. I'd suggest trying their settings first then put some white on the screen and switch between neutral, warm, and expert1 to see what your whites look like.
post #1913 of 2199 Old 05-26-2019, 11:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2704
Quote:
I would start with RTings settings first and pray that you dont end up with greenish/reddish whites. If you don't have calibration gear, you will have to eyeball your settings and more than likely not end up with pure whites. I have been messing around with Rtings settings lately (switched from neutral to expert1), but ended up having a major green tinted picture. I dropped G-Bias down to -5 and the green tint is still there. However, if you don't switch between warm and expert1, the green tint wont bother you as much but it will still be there regardless. I'd suggest trying their settings first then put some white on the screen and switch between neutral, warm, and expert1 to see what your whites look like.
Pretty sure every pro calibrator (such as @jrref ) will tell you not to touch the bias settings on Sony TVs as it will negatively impact the low end of the grayscale.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #1914 of 2199 Old 05-27-2019, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
TV Picture Settings

Hello everyone,

My x950G will be delivered in a couple of days. It's the last piece of hardware I need for 4K UHD viewing. As I type this, I am watching a movie using its 4K disc on my current Sony TV, the XBR4. I've had the XBR TV since 2008 and it is my first and only TV; it still produces a nice picture in 1080p and I do notice a difference (better picture quality) when I watch a film using the 4K disc as source.

Regarding the X950G, is there a TV settings thread for it on this Forum? I recall back in 2008 spending hours reading the XBR4/5 thread on picture settings, etc. That's how I found my preferred settings for my XBR4.

Thanks,
David

Last edited by D.Bailey; 05-27-2019 at 12:08 AM.
post #1915 of 2199 Old 05-27-2019, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Can anyone comment on the 950G's reflection handling? I had a X900F mounted for two weeks and returned it for a Samsung Q80 for the better reflection coating. I have a set of windows behind my TV and the room gets super bright. The Samsung is superb at this, but I do feel like the Sony had better motion and a sharper picture when watching SD content and sports. The Q80 just looks washed out.

Thinking of giving the 950G a shot.
post #1916 of 2199 Old 05-27-2019, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
The picture quality looks great on my Mac. What review are those images from? I'm curious to know the screen size.

I read the first 30 pages of this thread and got tired of the speculation so I skipped to the end, couldn't do 30 more pages. I'm looking at the 75" 950G or the 900F to replace our 2015 Vizio 65" M Series.

Now that the larger sets with the X-Wide have been in the wild for a while, is that feature really that detrimental to the contrast?

Has anyone compared the two 75" versions against one another? Any other recommendations that I might look at in this size? OLED is out due to the current pricing on the 77" ones.

Also, I see the X940E is highly recommended and there are a few around my area. Is it worth the additional money? What do you lose out on in terms of being an older set, 2017 I believe? How would that compare to the 900F and 950G?
If you can still get a 940E, it's a wonderful set. Absolutely wonderful. Ours died and we now have the 950G. It's a great set, but not quite what the 940E was.
irishluck73 likes this.

Luke
post #1917 of 2199 Old 05-27-2019, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcervinojr View Post
Can anyone comment on the 950G's reflection handling? I had a X900F mounted for two weeks and returned it for a Samsung Q80 for the better reflection coating. I have a set of windows behind my TV and the room gets super bright. The Samsung is superb at this, but I do feel like the Sony had better motion and a sharper picture when watching SD content and sports. The Q80 just looks washed out.

Thinking of giving the 950G a shot.
I don't think it's too bad, but every environment is different. I commented about our experience a couple pages back.

That said- If you returned the 900F because of reflections, you wont be happy with the 950G.

Luke
post #1918 of 2199 Old 05-27-2019, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_Y View Post
I don't think it's too bad, but every environment is different. I commented about our experience a couple pages back.

That said- If you returned the 900F because of reflections, you wont be happy with the 950G.
And rtings supports your statement, sir. Though both are not bad in the overall picture with 52 other TVs.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/pict...tte-and-glossy

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
post #1919 of 2199 Old 05-27-2019, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 91
honestly - just close the blinds at least partially

I cannot imagine even the best Samsungs truly being able to deal with a super bright room and eliminate all reflections
post #1920 of 2199 Old 05-27-2019, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
See the watermark/copyright (run through google translate; also there are some more comparison pics: https://hdtvpolska.com/sony-kd-75xg9...-direct-led/6/). It is the 75" btw, most reviews in Europe have been of the 75" . The one at Flatpanelshd.com has recommended settings ...
irishluck73 likes this.

Last edited by mithras1; 05-27-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page