2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 65 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 904Likes

post #1921 of 2197 Old 05-27-2019, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 2048
Got mine in today and set it up. Picture is pretty good out of the box. Now just waiting for my calibration.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 2197 Old 05-27-2019, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Got mine in today and set it up. Picture is pretty good out of the box. Now just waiting for my calibration.

S~
Are you waiting to do it yourself(100-200hr) or waiting for a calibrator? Good to know your initial impression is positive. I was looking at the 900f but now I am thinking of waiting a bit and getting the 950G mainly for the ultimate processor, hoping it may be of use for future updates.
post #1923 of 2197 Old 05-27-2019, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji View Post
Are you waiting to do it yourself(100-200hr) or waiting for a calibrator? Good to know your initial impression is positive. I was looking at the 900f but now I am thinking of waiting a bit and getting the 950G mainly for the ultimate processor, hoping it may be of use for future updates.
I gave that up around 11 years ago. I'm retiring in a month, I might get back into it. Things have changed a lot since then. My calibrator and I go way back. He works for Dolby.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1924 of 2197 Old 05-27-2019, 08:06 PM

That is excellent. It would be nice to know your take on the TV once you had a few days after the calibration. Thanks
post #1925 of 2197 Old 05-28-2019, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_Y View Post
If you can still get a 940E, it's a wonderful set. Absolutely wonderful. Ours died and we now have the 950G. It's a great set, but not quite what the 940E was.
How would you compare and contrast them? It would be nice to know the opinion of someone who's owned both.
post #1926 of 2197 Old 05-28-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6387 Post(s)
Liked: 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
How would you compare and contrast them? It would be nice to know the opinion of someone who's owned both.
940E is going to be the better set as far as picture quality goes......
ggw2000 and irishluck73 like this.
post #1927 of 2197 Old 05-28-2019, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
940E is going to be the better set as far as picture quality goes......
May I ask why?

Curious since I have been looking at the X950G as a possible replacement to our 2014/5 LG 79UB9800. Looks like I'm in the middle of a standard implementation timeline again but I would like to upgrade to something that supports UHD in a similar size.

I've been tossing around the idea of replacing it with this set either 75 or 85" - although I think the 75" is winning due to the size. Would prefer the larger but the space I have is inly 42" tall
although it is recessed I could trim...

Anyway thanks. Just wondering why one is better than the other. Obviously I'm out of the loop as I try and catch up more in the thread. Probably any of the newer sets will be a nice upgrade from the older LG.
post #1928 of 2197 Old 05-28-2019, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by saf01 View Post
May I ask why?

Curious since I have been looking at the X950G as a possible replacement to our 2014/5 LG 79UB9800. Looks like I'm in the middle of a standard implementation timeline again but I would like to upgrade to something that supports UHD in a similar size.

I've been tossing around the idea of replacing it with this set either 75 or 85" - although I think the 75" is winning due to the size. Would prefer the larger but the space I have is inly 42" tall
although it is recessed I could trim...

Anyway thanks. Just wondering why one is better than the other. Obviously I'm out of the loop as I try and catch up more in the thread. Probably any of the newer sets will be a nice upgrade from the older LG.
No X-wide filter affecting contrast, (far) more dimming zones (240 [or was it 288] vs 60), higher peak brightness, clearer/ more glossy filter on the panel. Negatives: panel has a slower pixel response time, the 950G will be better for motion sharpness, with it also having the X-Motion Clarity feature.
950G also has the new processor for Android TV and it supports Dolby Vision natively which might give it a better performance for Dolby Vision material (someone in the A9G OLED topic mentioned Dolby Vision looking better than it did on his A1E. But I haven't kept up on the DV performance on Sony models and any firmware updates that may have already improved it on older models so something you might also want to read up on).
irishluck73, saf01 and D.Bailey like this.

Last edited by mithras1; 05-28-2019 at 02:14 PM.
post #1929 of 2197 Old 05-28-2019, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithras1 View Post
No X-wide filter affecting contrast, (far) more dimming zones (240 [or was it 288] vs 60), higher peak brightness, clearer/ more glossy filter on the panel. Negatives: panel has a slower pixel response time, the 950G will be better for motion sharpness, with it also having the X-Motion Clarity feature.
950G also has the new processor for Android TV and it supports Dolby Vision natively which might give it a better performance for Dolby Vision material (someone in the A9G OLED topic mentioned Dolby Vision looking better than it did on his A1E. But I haven't kept up on the DV performance on Sony models and any firmware updates that may have already improved it on older models so something you might also want to read up on).
Oh - thank you. That is a lot of information.

We enjoy or LG a lot but often what one of our 4k UHD discs would look on a newer set. I've considered upgrading a few times now but never can make up my mind with what makes sense. I'm sure we got our monies worth out of the LG but I'm trying to be a bit more cautious this time around thus me asking why.

Everything we watch is native discs we purchase and then to our local plex library for DVR.
post #1930 of 2197 Old 05-28-2019, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Put my order in for a 65" X950g over the weekend, hopefully get it in a week or so.

Making the leap from a 1080p 65" Panny ZT plasma to 4K HDR, gotta see if I can take the loss of blacks in exchange for the other good things about this TV. I just moved and its going in a sunny room, so just that will be a big quality of life improvement over the plasma, which while fantastic at night turned into a black mirror in the middle of a sunny day.

A friend of mine works at Sony so I got a good deal and that pretty much ruled out going with a Samsung (or an OLED really, although I considered the Sony ones).

Looking forward to getting it and hooking it up, have been reading back through this thread a lot and I'll be doing some trawling around for suggestions on settings.
post #1931 of 2197 Old 05-28-2019, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexMentallo View Post
Put my order in for a 65" X950g over the weekend, hopefully get it in a week or so.

Making the leap from a 1080p 65" Panny ZT plasma to 4K HDR, gotta see if I can take the loss of blacks in exchange for the other good things about this TV. I just moved and its going in a sunny room, so just that will be a big quality of life improvement over the plasma, which while fantastic at night turned into a black mirror in the middle of a sunny day.

A friend of mine works at Sony so I got a good deal and that pretty much ruled out going with a Samsung (or an OLED really, although I considered the Sony ones).

Looking forward to getting it and hooking it up, have been reading back through this thread a lot and I'll be doing some trawling around for suggestions on settings.

I am also getting a new X950G. I have seen very little on this thread (and Forum) of information about /sharing of personal TV settings. Either it is forbidden to share TV tweaks or most people pay $250 or more for a calibration from Geek Squad or whoever.
post #1932 of 2197 Old 05-29-2019, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 22
One month of ownership

I read with amusement many of the Sony slamming opinions of the "experts" posting here. Black levels, blooming, sub menu calibrations and on and on. Right out of the box the 950 is the best looking TV in its class. It's simply stunning and when watching a 4k Atmos Netflix movie, it is spectacular. From a bright room to a dark one, the Sony performs flawlessly. After enjoying this Sony for a month, I wish I could afford another one for the bedroom.
post #1933 of 2197 Old 05-29-2019, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjonathan0 View Post
One month of ownership

I read with amusement many of the Sony slamming opinions of the "experts" posting here. Black levels, blooming, sub menu calibrations and on and on. Right out of the box the 950 is the best looking TV in its class. It's simply stunning and when watching a 4k Atmos Netflix movie, it is spectacular. From a bright room to a dark one, the Sony performs flawlessly. After enjoying this Sony for a month, I wish I could afford another one for the bedroom.

I'm happy to read this ! I'm returning a Vizio PQ65 tonight for the X950G !
post #1934 of 2197 Old 05-29-2019, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Bailey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexMentallo View Post

I am also getting a new X950G. I have seen very little on this thread (and Forum) of information about /sharing of personal TV settings. Either it is forbidden to share TV tweaks or most people pay $250 or more for a calibration from Geek Squad or whoever.
I will give you my NEW settings once you get yours, just let me know. I too think it is good to try different peoples settings if you are not going to get professional calibration done. The hardest thing to get RIGHT on this set(without calibration) is the white balance. One thing you have to realize about this forum is, you have EXPERTS that are about nothing but accuracy and you have regular common folk/gamers who will eyeball their settings. While experts will chime in and help you out with what’s correct/incorrect, this helps you out with your settings. For example, I was previously using the neutral color temp for all my presets, but experts scolded me and convinced me to try expert1 instead. I am happy with expert1 now and realized how my pic had too much blue. However, now I have a bit of green tinted white balance that needs fixing. Which is why collaboration is important.
FlexMentallo likes this.
post #1935 of 2197 Old 05-30-2019, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
One month of ownership

May I ask which size of it do you own? Is it with the x-wide angle filter?
post #1936 of 2197 Old 05-30-2019, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
One month of ownership

Same. My 900F had an issue (55") and I returned it to find that the 950G 55" was discounted $100 so only $100 difference from the 900F so I upgraded. It's very good. Not as good as my 940E (blacks are way better on that thing) but a solid panel.

HT 7.1.4: Sony X940E, Marantz SR8012, LR: JBL Studio 580's, C: JBL Studio 520c, Surrounds and Rears: JBL Studio 530's, ATMOS: JBL Studio 210's, Sub: HSU VTF-3 mk5
MB 5.1: Sony 55" X950G, Denon X3500H, LR/Surrounds: JBL Studio 270’s, C: JBL Studio 235c, Sub: HSU VTF-2 mk5
Living Room/Office 5.1: Sony 49" 900E's, HTNT5's with wireless rear channels
post #1937 of 2197 Old 05-30-2019, 05:02 PM

Anyone with a calibrated 950g here that can share their expert1 color temp and per color adjustment settings. I want to compare with rtings settings I am using now to see how close or far off the settings are.
post #1938 of 2197 Old 05-31-2019, 06:36 AM

I returned my Vizio and got the X950G and I'm really happy. I'll need to play with the color settings a little (SDR and HDR10, DV is perfect out of box) but so far, all my problems (like hdmi handshake with apple tv and dolby vision not always working well) are gone. The OS is so fast !

I was fearing the blooming a lot. While it's not as good as the Vizio PQ65, it's really not that bad. I fact, I don't see it if I don't look for it. The only downside so far is I don't find the black as deep as the Vizio but I'll need to understand all the settings and try them.

Last edited by Dentifrice; 05-31-2019 at 07:40 AM.
post #1939 of 2197 Old 05-31-2019, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I bought the Sony 950G a few weeks ago. I have a new home theater system with Apple 4K TV and Anthem 1120 receiver. it's a 5.1.4 system. It took a long time to get all the settings right. It took a lot to get the Apple 4k to accept Atmos and Sony Vision. The problem was dealer neglected to do firmware update on Anthem. After that I had Dolby Vision and Atmos. Next problem was Dolby Vision looked like 1080P. I had never seen Dolby Vision but I knew something had to be off. Finally after spending days of checking settings on the 950G I figured it out and now Dolby Vision works. Looks amazing
post #1940 of 2197 Old 05-31-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokap View Post
I bought the Sony 950G a few weeks ago. I have a new home theater system with Apple 4K TV and Anthem 1120 receiver. it's a 5.1.4 system. It took a long time to get all the settings right. It took a lot to get the Apple 4k to accept Atmos and Sony Vision. The problem was dealer neglected to do firmware update on Anthem. After that I had Dolby Vision and Atmos. Next problem was Dolby Vision looked like 1080P. I had never seen Dolby Vision but I knew something had to be off. Finally after spending days of checking settings on the 950G I figured it out and now Dolby Vision works. Looks amazing

what did you do to fix your dolby vision ? I don't have any problem but I'm wondering
post #1941 of 2197 Old 05-31-2019, 12:09 PM

It was all in the settings of the 950G. I went to picture settings and I was able to change it there. Honestly Sony Vision now is incredible. I watched Black Mirror last night with my wife and daughter and the PQ was amazing
post #1942 of 2197 Old 05-31-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokap View Post
It was all in the settings of the 950G. I went to picture settings and I was able to change it there. Honestly Sony Vision now is incredible. I watched Black Mirror last night with my wife and daughter and the PQ was amazing
Now its time to watch Black Summer. Pretty good series and I'm liking it more than the Walking Dead.
post #1943 of 2197 Old 05-31-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencc3 View Post
Now its time to watch Black Summer. Pretty good series and I'm liking it more than the Walking Dead.
I checked it out just to hear what Atmos sounds like on it. I may watch the series
post #1944 of 2197 Old 06-01-2019, 07:11 AM

Two days now with my X950G and calibrated to my liking. I’m so happy to have return the Vizio so this. Wow ! Superior in almost every ways. The blooming everyone is talking about is totally out of proportion. I need to be in pitch black room and even like this, it’s almost perfect. I changed the subtitles colours in my apps from bright white to grey or set the text semi-transparent.

The Vizio I had was a PQ65 and it supposed to be brighter than the X950G but I was unable to watch HDR movies during the day because it was too dimmed in dark scenes (even with back light to maximum). I’m starting to think it was defect or IDK because on my X950G, I even lower brightness of HDR during night, which I never did with vizio !
Radvlad and badcatsclaws like this.
post #1945 of 2197 Old 06-01-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentifrice View Post
Two days now with my X950G and calibrated to my liking. I’m so happy to have return the Vizio so this. Wow ! Superior in almost every ways. The blooming everyone is talking about is totally out of proportion. I need to be in pitch black room and even like this, it’s almost perfect. I changed the subtitles colours in my apps from bright white to grey or set the text semi-transparent.

The Vizio I had was a PQ65 and it supposed to be brighter than the X950G but I was unable to watch HDR movies during the day because it was too dimmed in dark scenes (even with back light to maximum). I’m starting to think it was defect or IDK because on my X950G, I even lower brightness of HDR during night, which I never did with vizio !
You must be using DolbyVision Dark.
post #1946 of 2197 Old 06-01-2019, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Robert Busch came by Thursday and calibrated my set. He contracts with Dolby, so he knows all there is to know. He also touched up my 940C while he was here.

Have been playing around with everything since then. Overall it is a really great set. I would say the only thing it doesn't do better than my 940C is there is more light into the black bars when there is a high luminance object like the moon near the border. Definitely a keeper.

S~

post #1947 of 2197 Old 06-01-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Robert Busch came by Thursday and calibrated my set. He contracts with Dolby, so he knows all there is to know. He also touched up my 940C while he was here.

Have been playing around with everything since then. Overall it is a really great set. I would say the only thing it doesn't do better than my 940C is there is more light into the black bars when there is a high luminance object like the moon near the border. Definitely a keeper.

S~
Care to share your white balance and per color adjustment settings? Por Favor
post #1948 of 2197 Old 06-01-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:

S~
Thank you, teachsac. I was waiting for your impressions. Good to know you like it. I would probably be happy with 900F but I am considering this for the Ultimate chip.
post #1949 of 2197 Old 06-01-2019, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencc3 View Post
Care to share your white balance and per color adjustment settings? Por Favor
If you want your set to reach it's potential, I would recommend you have your set calibrated.

post #1950 of 2197 Old 06-01-2019, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am based in HongKong, just visited Sony showroom and am surprised to see the price of 75" Z9F is 20% lower than 75" 950G, I thought they are both current year model and Z series should be a more premium higher end model?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page